PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Anyone into Astronomy? Looking to buy a decent telescope

Deberg_1990
03-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Dont really know too much about them........anyone know of a decent review sight or know much about them?

Just looking for something to play around with for me and the kids on weekends.

Advice?

mlyonsd
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Paging Dave Lane.......

stonedstooge
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Gotta say something about Religion to get him to show

PunkinDrublic
03-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Instead of buying a high powered telescope, why don't you use the money to pay the girl of your dreams to go out with you. You'll be so popular.

mlyonsd
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Gotta say something about Religion to get him to showI think to DL astronomy is a religion so I hope he shows up.

Dayze
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah. Dave lane is your man. I think he even built an observatory thing on his roof etc

My wife and I want to get a starter scope one of these days and I plan on paging Dave lane

stonedstooge
03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Check out Ebay. Telescopes are like anything else, you get what you pay for

petegz28
03-05-2012, 08:18 PM
How much are you looking to spend? Meade makes some of the better telescopes and most these days come with GPS and an autoguider that will automatically slew to the desired target. The Autostar controller has targets built in and it will help you pick visible targets for the time, day, year, etc. The GPS means the telescope will align itself automatically so basically you can just turn it on and go. Great for people who don't want to learn all the technicals and just want to see some cool shit.

A 3.5" telescope is great for the moon and planets. I can clearly see the rings around Saturn and the gap between the rings and the planet as well as the colored stripes on the planet with mine. Jupiter is the same. On a dark night you can really make out all the bands and colors of Jupiter and see its 4 largest moons. Viewing the moon is awesome when it is a half moon. The shadow gives it a lot of depth. Full moon viewing will hurt your eyes so you will need a filter for that.

The Orion Nebula is also a very good view in a 3.5". You can make out other nebulas as well depending on how dark your area is but really you need an 8" or larger if you want to see more of that stuff.

Just keep in mind if you have never looked at nebulas and such through a telescope you won't get "Hubble" type views. Those are all done with cameras that will pick up lightwaves your eyes cannot and they are stacked photos of long exposures.

If you want to drop a dime you can get a telescope that has a CCD "camera" built in and will connect to your laptop or computer to you can see things closer to that style, take pictures and stack them and such. It's a great hobby for families but it can cost you $1k-$2k for a decent rig assuming you already have a laptop.

Rain Man
03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I could never buy a telescope, because I know that within a week I'd be wanting to buy a pirate ship to go with it.

beach tribe
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I could never buy a telescope, because I know that within a week I'd be wanting to buy a pirate ship to go with it.

Land AHOY!!

Is that how you say it?

Anywho..TO THE SHIP!!!

Dave Lane
03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Gotta say something about Religion to get him to show

Here I am :)

Just like Betelgeuse

Dave Lane
03-05-2012, 10:22 PM

No that would be a spyglass. Yes you want to stay away from those maties!

Dave Lane
03-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Dont really know too much about them........anyone know of a decent review sight or know much about them?

Just looking for something to play around with for me and the kids on weekends.

Advice?

Depends on what you want to do and see. I have a pretty good suggestion if you aren't in a big hurry. I believe in April they will have a public nite at Powell Observatory. I can probably get you and the kids in to play with the big scope, but better than that usually several club members bring in several different kind of scopes that you can look through, kind of a field test to see how much you can see in the different sized scopes. Its free and a blast for the kids, they swim in this stuff.

Most members bring their lower priced scopes in case of accidents so you should see several affordable setups that everyone will be very happy to have you take a look through. If you tell me what nite you are going I'll make sure to get you in for to the Observatory for free and get your kids a few of my photos they sell there as souvenirs.

J Diddy
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I give you credit, Dave. You kind of sparked an interest that I really hadn't had since I was a kid, in astronomy. I'm taking an astronomy class in the fall and I'm kind of excited about it.

Hog Farmer
03-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Astronomy is way cool. There's all kinds of stuff out there that can kill us.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2012, 06:15 AM
How much are you looking to spend?
A 3.5" telescope is great for the moon and planets. I can clearly see the rings around Saturn and the gap between the rings and the planet as well as the colored stripes on the planet with mine. Jupiter is the same. On a dark night you can really make out all the bands and colors of Jupiter and see its 4 largest moons. Viewing the moon is awesome when it is a half moon. The shadow gives it a lot of depth. Full moon viewing will hurt your eyes so you will need a filter for that.

The Orion Nebula is also a very good view in a 3.5". You can make out other nebulas as well depending on how dark your area is but really you need an 8" or larger if you want to see more of that stuff.

Just keep in mind if you have never looked at nebulas and such through a telescope you won't get "Hubble" type views. Those are all done with cameras that will pick up lightwaves your eyes cannot and they are stacked photos of long exposures.

I was thinking between $100 - $200 or so....Can i get those type of views you mentioned above in that dollar range?

Dave Lane
03-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Heres a page of some decent scopes by Celestron. They and Meade are competitors I like Celestron better but same basic deal. These include the goto option to make it easier to find things in the sky. They are a bit above the $200 you were thinking but make observing way better and more fun than trying to figure out half the nite where is this etc.

You might check craigslist / ebay for a used one that probably is going to be in the $100 range.

http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/2SBJNKJ2WAFH9J4Q7SSEEL3R73/Page/1

Dave Lane
03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I give you credit, Dave. You kind of sparked an interest that I really hadn't had since I was a kid, in astronomy. I'm taking an astronomy class in the fall and I'm kind of excited about it.

Thats very cool you will love it. I'm constantly amazed at the things out there and the vast distances we can actually see.

Heres a cool picture a guy I know took of the Coma cluster of galaxies. Every point of light you see in this picture is 200 billion or so stars.

Picture is too large for on here. He has some annotations on the picture too that are interesting.

http://skycenter.arizona.edu/sites/skycenter.arizona.edu/files/comaclstr_notes.jpg

Dave Lane
03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Blow the picture up to full size and try to count all the galaxies that are there. I dare you.
And this is just one tiny spot in the heavens. Its crazy.

Dayze
03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Blow the picture up to full size and try to count all the galaxies that are there. I dare you.
And this is just one tiny spot in the heavens. Its crazy.

but we're alone..../~

Dave Lane
03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
but we're alone..../~

Absolutely, the entire universe was made just for us :)

L.A. Chieffan
03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Google sky map app and binoculars :rockon:

Dave Lane
03-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Here's a good scope probably could get it for $250. Excellent value. I just bought a little starter Meade scope for $75 thats a nice 3.5" that could be a starter but no tripod. I figured to use for public viewing.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/2804462195.html