PDA

View Full Version : Life Let me give CP some great car advice....SRS...

El Jefe
03-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Alright, I have tried to interject my vehicle beliefs into CP over the years, and I have been thanked a lot, so let me give you guys another one. Do not buy an extended warranty, they are not worth the paper they are printed on. You would think that society would realize that by now, but people continue buying these stupid warranties. I deal with them all the time, and let me give you guys a couple good examples.

Had a customer here recently with a 2004 Dodge Caravan, he paid $1600 for an extended warranty, that covered "everything" the salesperson told him. So this guy has this van for 9 months, put just over 3200 miles on it. The transmission has major internal damage, I call the warranty company, they tell me they need to see receipts for 3 oil changes because it has been 9 months, and to keep his warranty valid it specifically states that you have to change your MOTOR oil every 3 months whether or not you hit the 3k miles everytime. May I remind you that this claim is for a transmission repair? The customer tells me he only has had one motor oil change done because he has only gone 3200 miles. The warranty company denies his claim, and voids his contract, and they kept his $1600 because he did not comply with the stipulations of the contract agreement.

Had another lady who had a 2006 Nissan Maxima, long story short she paid
2k for her warranty. We got the transmission out and apart, it priced out at just under 3k, the warranty company told her they would pay her $800.

These warranty companies will find any possible loophole they can to get out of paying. CP brethern, do NOT buy these extended warranties, if you really want to give your money away, you can give a charitable donation to our shop.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
When I bought my new car the finance lady was acting shocked at my choice to decline any and all extended warranty and service contracts.

AndChiefs
03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
When I bought my new car the finance lady was acting shocked at my choice to decline any and all extended warranty and service contracts.

I think that was the first thing my dad told me about car buying. Of course the dealership couldn't believe that I didn't want to buy those ridiculously overpriced and useless items.

KurtCobain
03-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I have some car advice from last night.

Don't jump out of one.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Don't jump out of one.

While moving.

qabbaan
03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
There is a reason they sell these things, because they are all profit. If it was going to save you money on service why would they offer it? The service department at some dealers is more lucrative than the sales department.

Anything a dealership sells you as an add-on is a bad deal for you.

Dayze
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
yeah; when I bought my Rabbit last year, the 'final step' was to meet with some chick to go over 'options'. I knew what was up though.

so out trots this very good looking woman, great body, dressed uh.....pretty revealing.

Before she could get going in her pitch I said to her "I understand you're just doing your job, trying to upsell things, but really. I'm not interested in any of it". I was respectful, and polite.

she looked shocked, and a little irritated and said 'Well, ok. I hope nothing goes wrong for you"...sort of sarcastically etc.

Nzoner
03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm looking to get a new vehicle before April 30th,it's been 10 years and I am so not looking forward to all the BS that goes with it.

Dayze
03-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm looking to get a new vehicle before April 30th,it's been 10 years and I am so not looking forward to all the BS that goes with it.

if it's 'new' etc, I recommend test driving all the vehicles you're interested in etc. makikng a decision, setting up your own financing, and just emailing a few sales managers about exactly what you want and your offer

I did this with my wife's Beetle, and it took about 10 minutes all via email. I gave my offer, explained I was offering 4% over cost (invoice, less holdback and any FTD incentives); car had to come from Indiana, so his counter was to split the cost to get it here; 250 a piece.

easiest thing I've done. Of course, we spent a few weeks driving multiple models etc before arriving at the decision. but actually doing the deal was painless. walked in and spent about 20 minutes on paperwork and we were gone.

Nzoner
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
if it's 'new' etc, I recommend test driving all the vehicles you're interested in etc. makikng a decision, setting up your own financing, and just emailing a few sales managers about exactly what you want and your offer

I did this with my wife's Beetle, and it took about 10 minutes all via email. I gave my offer, explained I was offering 4% over cost (invoice, less holdback and any FTD incentives); car had to come from Indiana, so his counter was to split the cost to get it here; 250 a piece.

easiest thing I've done. Of course, we spent a few weeks driving multiple models etc before arriving at the decision. but actually doing the deal was painless. walked in and spent about 20 minutes on paperwork and we were gone.

Interesting,so once you decided on the vehicle you did a search for all those dealerships in a specific area and obtained the e-mail addys that way?

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Interesting,so once you decided on the vehicle you did a search for all those dealerships in a specific area and obtained the e-mail addys that way?

Most dealerships now have internet sales managers. Contact those people. I had a special hook up but essentially did what Dayze suggests. I test drove what I was interested in, decided on a car, then worried about pricing. Through the GM & internet sales person I got my car for $300 below invoice, not including trade & rebates. As far as invoicing - some may offer rebates if you go with theirs. I had to go with a higher rate but financed with Nissan for an additional $750 rebate, which works out better than going with the lower rate. Ended up getting a ridiculous $3250 in rebates after the $300 below invoice and then my trade on top. Plus got the appearance protection plan (which I declined), window tinting, and 2yrs of maintenance thrown in for free (after I already agreed on price).

Nzoner
03-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Most dealerships now have internet sales managers. Contact those people. I had a special hook up but essentially did what Dayze suggests. I test drove what I was interested in, decided on a car, then worried about pricing. Through the GM & internet sales person I got my car for $300 below invoice, not including trade & rebates. As far as invoicing - some may offer rebates if you go with theirs. I had to go with a higher rate but financed with Nissan for an additional $750 rebate, which works out better than going with the lower rate. Ended up getting a ridiculous $3250 in rebates after the $300 below invoice and then my trade on top. Plus got the appearance protection plan (which I declined), window tinting, and 2yrs of maintenance thrown in for free (after I already agreed on price).

Appreciate it,I've got a hook-up as well as a client of mine has a brother who owns a dealership but I'm not really thinking I want a Mazda,going to check them though and see what they've got.

Dayze
03-06-2012, 09:14 AM

prior to that, we had called ahead of time when we wanted to test drive a car ("Hi, my wife and I are considering buying a vehicle in the next few months and was wondering if we could come in a test drive"); at that point I would grab the sales manager's card. I didn't send out a mass email etc, I just knew what I was prepared to pay and just started with the closest dealer to me etc.

Although, I beleive the one I ended up going with I just called and asked to speak to the Sales Manager; once I got him, I just told him I've made a decision and I'm prepared to make an offer if he sends me his email address etc.

I think one manager said some BS about them not being able to dive out email addresses etc, and to just 'come on in'.

And remember, the invoice price, isn't cost. Like if you buy Turbo tax for $50, with a $10 mail in rebate. you paid (invoice) $50 for it, but it'll only cost you $40.

Sometimes the invoices are so bloated with FTD and holdback that it's not all that great. Like you'll hear dealers advertise "you can buy a car for $100 over invoice"...meanwhile, they have $1000+ in FTD and 2-4% holdback...+ your $100.

So I usually offer x% over 'cost'. Done it twice, and both times it was pain-free. They probably just recongnize it's a fair deal, and want to move on to someone else. Used cars, obviously, are a different beast (ie not a known value like new cars)

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
You can build your car to get the invoice cost at edmunds.com.

AndChiefs
03-06-2012, 09:23 AM

That's exactly what I used as well. The dealership I went to had a whole bunch of bogus "fees" built into their invoice so I managed getting it for more than 4k under invoice. All I did was show them what Edmunds said I should pay and that I wasn't paying more than that. They hemmed and hawed but eventually gave in.

Easy 6
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
In my experience, its only the non manufacturer warranties that suck.

If its backed by Mazda, Ford, or whoever, you should usually be ok.

burt
03-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I used to think extended warranties were BS also. But years ago, I arranged for my wife to buy a Honda from a friend in the business. She came home anf told me she got an extended warrangy. My first response was "Why, its a Honda?" Turns out that the Passport was made by Isuzu for Honda. It was one of the worst 10 cars on the road according to one mag!(Car and Driver, I believe?) We were in rentals more than the Passport and the policy paid for itself several times over.

burt
03-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Oh, and those "Internet Sales Managers" can be pretty slimey! That's what I currently do.

Dr. Gigglepants
03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Plus, these are negotiable. I got my first one for exactly half of what they wanted at first. Got my current one for about 60% of what they first wanted for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
03-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Oh, and those "Internet Sales Managers" can be pretty slimey! That's what I currently do.

What makes are you selling?

Dayze
03-06-2012, 09:41 AM
not to get too far off topic here, but I think the mistake a lot of people make (not talking at you Nzoner, just in general) is they think they should be able to get the car at a price where the dealer doesn't make hardly any money etc. They go in and offer an unrealistic price. at that point, i think (pure speculation on my part), I think the sales manager is like "F that guy" and will probably try to get more money out of you/less likely to deal. Like if MSRP is $30k and Mr. Big shot tries to go in like "I'll give you $20k...CASH".....as if the cash scenario makes a hill of beans of difference.

I think if you offer a fair deal for both parties, the buying process is realtively pain free. Trick is knowing exactly what you want, what it costs, what you're willing to pay. Many make the mistake of going to a dealer to just 'look' and end up buying a car / overpaying for a car because they don't have the research on it. Most people who say "Dont' go to X dealership...they screwed me"...probably didn't get screwed at all. They probably overpaid for a car because they didn't do their homework until after they got home and realized it.

When I made my offer on those two occasions, I gave my offer price, and listed o ut how I came up with it. I think they recognized that it's an easy way to make 3-4% (whatever the offer is) on the deal in addition to the FTDs and Holdbacks; and move onto the next sale.

Fairplay
03-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Anyone have an idea what the sales person's cut is on this extended warranty is?

Dr. Gigglepants
03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I used to think extended warranties were BS also. But years ago, I arranged for my wife to buy a Honda from a friend in the business. She came home anf told me she got an extended warrangy. My first response was "Why, its a Honda?" Turns out that the Passport was made by Isuzu for Honda. It was one of the worst 10 cars on the road according to one mag!(Car and Driver, I believe?) We were in rentals more than the Passport and the policy paid for itself several times over.

Yep, sometimes these things come in handy. I've had GAP coverage work out in my favor before. In my current vehicle I put 30% down so I didn't need GAP and hope in the future to always be able to do that. Sometimes though it works out in your favor if you buy the ripoff stuff everyone hates so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 09:49 AM

From my experience, even the factory extended warranties always find a way to exclude the coverage.

I bought what I thought was 7/70 extended on our Durango, but when we went to use it, we found out they started the 7 from date of manufacture, not purchase date. Oooops, just missed it for the $2,000 warranty we bought.

Had a shifter cable on the 02 300M, not part of the Emissions or Drive Train coverage on the $2000 extended warranty.

Water pump went on the Nitro, can't remember the reason, but it wasn't covered.

I didn't buy the extended warranty on the Nitro or Challenger, they had already screwed me enough.

Fortunately, the Challenger has not had a problem in 3 1/2 years, other than an immediate failure of the hard disc drive on the sound system.

But I did get the water pump and shifter cable paid for, by saying the right things to their customer satisfaction department.

KC Tattoo
03-06-2012, 09:50 AM

My advice is don't go by yourself, take someone with you that can help & not let you get screwed on a deal. At least that is the lesson I learned in buying my Blazer. I love my Blazer now, but what a fucked up ordeal it was & hassle & lies from the dealer. I really wish I took more time in what I was looking for & shop around more. I just like the Blazer because it's red and would be badass for tailgating at Arrowhead & fishing & camping.

burt
03-06-2012, 09:52 AM
What makes are you selling?

I work at a little Suzuki/Mitsubishi dealership in Florida. 90% of our sales are used. It appears that seasoned veteran salesmen are frowned upon by most dealerships down here. They would rathar hire a pretty young and stupid sales force....so they can take advantage of them. I know in KC, we would jump at the opportunity to hire a good seasoned veteran salesman.

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Anyone have an idea what the sales person's cut is on this extended warranty is?

It may have changed, but they used to get paid on a percentage of the gross profit. So the extended warranty would really bump that number.

burt
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
It may have changed, but they used to get paid on a percentage of the gross profit. So the extended warranty would really bump that number.

Generally, only the Finance guy gets comm on Extended warranties. I suggest negotiating on them, because often they get paid to sell x amount of them regardless of profit.

chiefforlife
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
kcchiefsfanGoJC, Thats GREAT advice!

I too, run into these all the time at my shop, rarely do they cover anything that actually breaks. Or as you said, they have a way to get out of it.
I tell my customers, when you buy a car, take that 2K and put it into a savings account. When you have something go wrong, you have the money in there to fix it and you arent paying interest on it while its there. Also, you will definitely get your money back.
In fact, I just told a customer that last night.

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Generally, only the Finance guy gets comm on Extended warranties. I suggest negotiating on them, because often they get paid to sell x amount of them regardless of profit.

That makes sense, and come to think of it, recently it has been the finance guy trying to sell the extended warranty.

On my Challenger, he even brought the owner of the dealership in to do some arm twisting. "that thing has 7 computers, I would highly recommend, for your sake, to get it."

Dave Lane
03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
There's a reason they hire warranty salesreps.

burt
03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I personally believe there are some good Extended Warranty Companies out there.....I also believe there are some very bad ones.

Dayze
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
also, you can always shop for a warranty elsewhere; away from the dealership.

if I wanted an extended warranty on a car, that's what I'd do; research and find good after market ones.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
That makes sense, and come to think of it, recently it has been the finance guy trying to sell the extended warranty.

On my Challenger, he even brought the owner of the dealership in to do some arm twisting. "that thing has 7 computers, I would highly recommend, for your sake, to get it."

They tried the same pitch on my me, "That car has X computers in it! That'd be an expensive repair!"

burt
03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
There's a reason they hire warranty salesreps.

There's a reason they hire ________ salesreps. You can fill this blank in with anything.

burt
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM

if I wanted an extended warranty on a car, that's what I'd do; research and find good after market ones.

I worked for Rick Hendricks for about 20 years. They had an excellent Extended Warranty.

Lzen
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM

I think that applies to all car sales people. Or they can be, not necessarily that they all are slimy.

El Jefe
03-06-2012, 10:46 AM

That is very few and far between, I have literally dealt with thousands of these extended warranties, and probably a good hundred or so different companies, and as a whole they are not worth the paper they are printed off. I have dealt with maybe 2-3 that actually covered the things they said they would, and really took care of their customer.

***Yes if it is a warranty through the dealer, I wouldn't be so hesitant. Sorry, when I say extended warranty it is not through the dealer, because they wouldn't be at our shop.

Lzen
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
From my experience, even the factory extended warranties always find a way to exclude the coverage.

I bought what I thought was 7/70 extended on our Durango, but when we went to use it, we found out they started the 7 from date of manufacture, not purchase date. Oooops, just missed it for the $2,000 warranty we bought.

Had a shifter cable on the 02 300M, not part of the Emissions or Drive Train coverage on the $2000 extended warranty.

I didn't buy the extended warranty on the Nitro or Challenger, they had already screwed me enough.

Fortunately, the Challenger has not had a problem in 3 1/2 years, other than an immediate failure of the hard disc drive on the sound system.

But I did get the water pump and shifter cable paid for, by saying the right things to their customer satisfaction department.

I think I see your problem. Those are all Dodges. :D

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
They tried the same pitch on my me, "That car has X computers in it! That'd be an expensive repair!"Did you shudder with fear? I think that was their expected response from me.

I think I see your problem. Those are all Dodges. :D

That took longer than I thought it would. :D (but the 300m is a Chrysler)

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Did you shudder with fear? I think that was their expected response from me.

I looked at them like, 'I'm an electrical engineer, yo! I ain't scurred!'

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I looked at them like, 'I'm an electrical engineer, yo! I ain't scurred!'

Hopefully someday the automotive computer parts will get main stream, instead of their ridiculous phantom pricing they have now.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
BTW, anyone in the market for an SUV may want to hold out for one of these :D

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-SB512_bentle_G_20120305144657.jpghttp://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-BS696_BENTLY_G_20120305175950.jpg

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 11:07 AM

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-SB512_bentle_G_20120305144657.jpghttp://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-BS696_BENTLY_G_20120305175950.jpg

Looks like something LJ would be cakin in.

DaKCMan AP
03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Looks like something LJ would be cakin in.

Damn straight, pat'na.

El Jefe
03-06-2012, 11:09 AM

You mirin?

Lzen
03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
That took longer than I thought it would. :D (but the 300m is a Chrysler)

I knew that. Mopar is Mopar. Am I right?

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Don't jump out of one.

So what are your views on Hood Surfing?

Saul Good
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM

Aren't you one of the posters who swears that American car quality is as good as the Japanese?

KurtCobain
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
So what are your views on Hood Surfing?

Hang on tight

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Hang on tight

To what? Air?

Frosty
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't buy an aftermarket extended warranty for any price. They rarely cover what you would think would cover and the companies have a bad habit of folding, leaving you with nothing.

The manufacturer extended warranties are better but overpriced. One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that you don't have to buy them when you buy your car. Depending on the manufacturer, you can add a new car warranty at the new price up to a year after you buy the car (our Honda was 6 months and our Chevy was a year). You can also buy the warranty from any dealership. I forget the name of them now, but when we bought our Honda there was a dealership online that selling the Honda warranties for about a third of what our dealer tried to sell them to us for.

The law is a little different in Florida, though, so if you live there check it out.

The only downside to this is that you can't add the warranty to the financing. However, financing stuff like EW's and GAP insurance is a good way to be way upside down in a car loan. If you absolutely have to have the EW financed, though, you could get the internet price and haggle with your dealer to see if they will match.

jbwm89
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I've always abided by the car rules, no trade ins, no warranties, ever pay sticker etc. However I purchased a 04 f250 from Van Chevrolet in KC. I ended up purchasing the extended warranty at around 2,000 for 60,000 miles or 5 years. I've had a number of problems come up and the warranty has paid everything without question or hesitation at any shop I wanted.

qabbaan
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
When I buy a car I walk in with my own financing in hand and say no to every add-on and upsell. You have to expect them to lie about your lender though especially if it's not a local bank. They will tell you your bank bounces checks or that they will hold the car for weeks until the "check clears", anything to try to get you to use their financing. If you aren't going to buy the things like extended warranty that are 100% profit, the crooked stuff comes out.

jjjayb
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM

I would NEVER buy an after-market warranty. If you're going to buy a warranty, get the manufacturers warranty. We've tried a few different aftermarket warranty companies here and they were always a pain in the ass. Didn't want to cover anything without a fight, wanted to use salvage parts, etc. We only carry the manufacturers warranty now. It makes for happier customers.

Dayze
03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I would NEVER buy an after-market warranty. If you're going to buy a warranty, get the manufacturers warranty. We've tried a few different aftermarket warranty companies here and they were always a pain in the ass. Didn't want to cover anything without a fight, wanted to use salvage parts, etc. We only carry the manufacturers warranty now. It makes for happier customers.

:hmmm:
good to know. I didn't realize that. I thought it was the opposite (for whatever reason)

Deberg_1990
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM

heh, ill bet Salemen hate the internet. Its really made alot of people smarter about car buying.

Phobia
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
One of my cousins is a regional sales manager for those extended warranties for cars. He's a slimeball. I can definitely see how he does it.

OTOH, I have a friend who is a national sales manager for them and he's first class. I don't see how he can knowingly do it.

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I knew that. Mopar is Mopar. Am I right?

mmmm, not really. The Chrysler is supposed to be a cut above, kind of like a Buick and a Chevy. But who am I kidding, they have had so many owners since the Germans took their cash, who knows? :D

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Aren't you one of the posters who swears that American car quality is as good as the Japanese?

yeah, but what in my post said it isn't? I was talking about warranties. The Durango we kept for 10 years, and had a problem after it was just over 7 years old. We bought it slightly used, 10 k miles and a year old.

The 300m had a shifter cable in 6 years, and the Challenger had a HDD, right off the lot, nothing else after 3 1/2 years. I doubt too many Jap cars in their class can claim that kind of record. How many even have a HDD?

Now the Nitro, that is a different story. I think it was being built on a Friday afternoon, and finished Monday morning with parts from the reject bin.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
. The Chrysler is supposed to be a cut above, kind of like a Buick and a Chevy.

ROFL

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
ROFL

You are easily amused. My 300m was a very fine car, and was a little over 32k in 02.

Do you remember the old company, that had Imperial, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth?

They were in that order, much like GM was Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Chevy.

Never mind, it is all about Accords and Civics now! Have a big helping of rice and enjoy the economy!

burt
03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
heh, ill bet Salemen hate the internet. Its really made alot of people smarter about everything.

FYP

Saul Good
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Now the Nitro, that is a different story. I think it was being built on a Friday afternoon, and finished Monday morning with parts from the reject bin.

That's why I prefer products built with slave labor. Friday is just another day to those people.

WilliamTheIrish
03-06-2012, 07:05 PM
You are easily amused. My 300m was a very fine car, and was a little over 32k in 02.

Do you remember the old company, that had Imperial, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth?

They were in that order, much like GM was Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Chevy.

Never mind, it is all about Accords and Civics now! Have a big helping of rice and enjoy the economy!

Those were great days, Ed. The Imperial (63 I think) was the car Milburn Drysdale drove in The Beverly Hillbillies. My Dad always had one as a dealer car. They were unreal cool.

My brother still has a huge plastic Desoto wall hanging that came from Faddis Motors in KC circa 1955. It was awesome and hung in our garage for 30 years.

DaFace
03-06-2012, 07:31 PM

I think that's just a sales tactic. We've bought two cars in the past five years from two completely different dealers, and both of them looked at me like I was insane when I declined. One of them even tried to give me fatherly advice to take it since I was so obviously too stupid to make an informed decision myself.

Baconeater
03-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I think that's just a sales tactic. We've bought two cars in the past five years from two completely different dealers, and both of them looked at me like I was insane when I declined. One of them even tried to give me fatherly advice to take it since I was so obviously too stupid to make an informed decision myself.
Yeah, I love it when they feign concern. My response always is "the only way you'll convince me that the warranty makes sense is to convince me the car is going to break down. And if you convince me of that, I'm going to buy something else." Shuts them up right away.

Saul Good
03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I've purchased 2 cars in the past 3 months. Neither of them really pushed the warranties on me at all. In fact, the second one basically just glossed over it and quickly moved on when I said no.

El Jefe
03-06-2012, 08:51 PM

Yeah no doubt, they can have their Honda's, wait till they have to fix those, they will be begging for a domestic car after that. People don't think Honda's or Toyota's break down, I have 6 (00 up to 07) sitting in my repair facilities parking lot currently.

trndobrd
03-06-2012, 09:25 PM

The economy of Marysville, Ohio or Greensburg, Indiana?

Easy 6
03-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah no doubt, they can have their Honda's, wait till they have to fix those, they will be begging for a domestic car after that. People don't think Honda's or Toyota's break down, I have 6 (00 up to 07) sitting in my repair facilities parking lot currently.

From your lips to Gods ears.

10-20 years ago, i do believe there was some definite truth in that... but it couldnt be LESS true these days, all of the big three are making world class vehicles.

HemiEd
03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Those were great days, Ed. The Imperial (63 I think) was the car Milburn Drysdale drove in The Beverly Hillbillies. My Dad always had one as a dealer car. They were unreal cool.

My brother still has a huge plastic Desoto wall hanging that came from Faddis Motors in KC circa 1955. It was awesome and hung in our garage for 30 years.

Very cool. We had a 58 Fireflite 4 door hard top as a family car for a couple years. The fins were just huge, and the dash was just cool to look at!

It was major news when Chrysler dropped the DeSoto, now it is almost a frequent occurance.

BryanBusby
03-07-2012, 02:16 AM
If you don't treat em like shit, they don't.

Hog Farmer
03-07-2012, 04:02 AM
I work at a little Suzuki/Mitsubishi dealership in Florida. 90% of our sales are used. It appears that seasoned veteran salesmen are frowned upon by most dealerships down here. They would rathar hire a pretty young and stupid sales force....so they can take advantage of them. I know in KC, we would jump at the opportunity to hire a good seasoned veteran salesman.

Sorry, but I'd overpay to buy a car from a beautiful Blonde with nice tits and a hot ass whereas I'd offer 50 cents on the dollar to a guy with a beer gut and a cig hangin from his face.

burt
03-07-2012, 06:58 AM
If you don't treat em like shit, they don't.

Wrong. Google "sludge engines"

burt
03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
I've purchased 2 cars in the past 3 months. Neither of them really pushed the warranties on me at all. In fact, the second one basically just glossed over it and quickly moved on when I said no.

This is how it should be. Maybe even too laid back. Finance guys have to tell you that EW's are available to avoid litigation. They should suggest them. NOT push them down your throat!

Not that I know anything about it.........

Nzoner
03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Sorry, but I'd overpay to buy a car from a beautiful Blonde with nice tits and a hot ass whereas I'd offer 50 cents on the dollar to a guy with a beer gut and a cig hangin from his face.

Being a sales manager(advertising) myself it's sad to say but you nailed it.I've given up on hiring those kind though.Could I get more business,sure,however the bullshit that goes with it is not worth it.

burt
03-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Damn........I am fucked.

Fire Me Boy!
03-07-2012, 08:05 AM
The dealership where I just bought my Volvo told me they were obligated to mention the extended warranty, but always advised not to buy it. "It's worthless," the owner told me. ROFL

Lzen
03-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Wrong. Google "sludge engines"

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/car-maintenance/engine-sludge/overview/index.htm

Hmmm, interesting stuff.

Lzen
03-07-2012, 09:25 AM

I'd be curious as to the breakdown of what % of your repair jobs are Hondas, Toyotas, etc. as compared to Dodge, GM, etc. I'm not one to believe that all foreign (or Japanese, specifically) cars are better than American cars these days. However, I have had my fill of crap GMs in years past and will never buy another one. And I have had friends and relatives that have had their problems with other makes (Dodge and their crappy transmissions sound familiar?).

I read a breakdown in Consumer reports a few years ago. It showed each car maker and their propensity to have to repair something. I think GM and Dodge/Chrysler had the most models on that list. Albeit, they make more models than other companies when you include all the subs (Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth). Still, that said enough for me to know that I would avoid them.

I should also point out that not all of my experiences with GM were bad. I bought a 95 Buick Sklyark in 96 with about 33k on it. It was a very solid car that we got several good years out of it and we put about 100k miles with nothing other than basic maintenance/repairs. So there's that. But overall, I have had bad experiences and the Dexcool BS was the last straw for me.

Fairplay
03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
But years ago, I arranged for my wife to buy a Honda from a friend in the business. She came home anf told me she got an extended warrangy. My first response was "Why, its a Honda?" Turns out that the Passport was made by Isuzu for Honda. It was one of the worst 10 cars on the road according to one mag!(Car and Driver, I believe?) We were in rentals more than the Passport and the policy paid for itself several times over.

Strange story. Not sure why you wouldn't both go car shopping together. But if the purchase was a POS car like the Passport like you said why didn't you return the car back and buy something else?

TIED5573
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
1991 Chevy Suburban. Bought it with 99k on it and ran it to 247k, no major problems, one cylinder had low compression when I sold it.

1996 Chevy Suburban, purchased with 166k on it (knew the owner), sold it with 237k, replaced the front transfer case.

Currently driving 2001 Chevy Suburban, no issues, purchased with 179k (again knew the owner).

All daily drivers, the key to me was using synthetic oil (Amsoil) and flushing the transmission.

Easy 6
03-08-2012, 03:16 AM
The dealership where I just bought my Volvo told me they were obligated to mention the extended warranty, but always advised not to buy it. "It's worthless," the owner told me. ROFL

That dealership sounds like crap.

Unable to even stand behind a warranty they sell?

'yeah we sell some real shit, heres the keys to your new Volvo... lol.

rtmike
03-08-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm 46. For the 1st time I bought a service contract for our SRT 10. I was worried since I know they're expensive to work on. I figure after 3 years we'll know whether to keep it.

But what if I'd rather get rid of it after 1 year since the truck's been so trouble free. Would I get the remaining 2 years back at the cost of dividing the contract by 3?

burt
03-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm 46. For the 1st time I bought a service contract for our SRT 10. I was worried since I know they're expensive to work on. I figure after 3 years we'll know whether to keep it.

But what if I'd rather get rid of it after 1 year since the truck's been so trouble free. Would I get the remaining 2 years back at the cost of dividing the contract by 3?

Yes, you are refunded the unused portion of the warranty.

burt
03-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Strange story. Not sure why you wouldn't both go car shopping together. But if the purchase was a POS car like the Passport like you said why didn't you return the car back and buy something else?

1) Was super busy and figured I had arranged everything via phone and I trusted my friend. She picks what she wants. I make it happen hassle free and a significant discount. Besides, it was kinda like, mechanics hate to work on their own cars. I did the whole experience the last 2 cars.

2) Lemon laws are for the same problem numerous times or unrepairable. That POS was always something else, not reoccuring problem.

HemiEd
03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/car-maintenance/engine-sludge/overview/index.htm

Hmmm, interesting stuff.

The Dodge 4.7 has had issues with sludge as well. It is just imperative that you give these motors the proper service. They have tighter tolerances, and are operating closer to optimum.
IMO, the lead that is missing, used to compensate for a lot of friction issues.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
That dealership sounds like crap.

Unable to even stand behind a warranty they sell?

'yeah we sell some real shit, heres the keys to your new Volvo... lol.

Actually, they just don't want to sell something to someone that's not worth the price, which the extended warranties are not. And they apparently don't stand behind a warranty they don't sell, if you were paying attention. If you've had pleasant experiences with 'em, you're the exception to the rule.

And as a matter of fact, there was a problem with the Volvo that I knew about (an alternator going bad) before I purchased it and negotiated into the cost of the car and them making the repairs. It ended up costing them twice what was estimated (had to use an OE part), and they were extremely diligent about not only getting it fixed, but getting it fixed right.