PDA

View Full Version : KU Like a Boss - Bill Self is SN's National Coach of the Year

Bambi
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
What an incredible job he's done this year. Time to ride this into another Final Four.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-03-05/bill-self-kansas-jayhawks-sporting-news-coach-of-the-year-march-madness

Kansas' Bill Self is the Sporting News Coach of the Year

PUBLISHED 23 hours and 37 minutes ago
LAST UPDATED 3 hours and 13 minutes ago

Mike DeCourcy
Sporting News

The retired jersey banners in the south end zone at Allen Fieldhouse paint a glorious picture of Kansas basketball history, images of Jacque Vaughn dashing up the court, Raef LaFrentz tossing up that lefty jumper, Danny Manning spin-dribbling through the lane, Wilt Chamberlain leaping above bewildered opponents who'd never seen a man that tall jump that high.

Bill Self led Kansas to its eighth consecutive Big 12 Conference regular-season title. (AP Photo)
Bill Self warned the latest edition of Kansas Jayhawks to forget all this beauty. If KU did it right this season, the only thing pretty might be the final score.

“I remember early in the season him telling us, ‘We’re going to have to win ugly,’ ” says senior guard Tyshawn Taylor, a third-team SN All-American. “Talentwise, one through eight or nine, we’re not the best. We’re not the scorers like we had in the past. So we’re going to have to win ugly, be a defensive team, be tough guys on the boards, battle and win ugly games.

“As the season went along, we kind of understood what he was talking about.”

That message was not an easy sell, but the Jayhawks bought in—and did so in time to win their eighth consecutive Big 12 Conference regular-season title against one of the sternest challenges they’ve faced in that stretch: Frank Haith’s reinvigorated Missouri Tigers.

Given that KU had only one starter returning from last season—and that starter was Taylor, who had spent his previous three years behaving as though Self ought to put a drive-through window on his coaching doghouse—building a team capable of winning such a strong league makes Self a worthy choice as coach of the year.

In place of the Morris twins, who led last season’s team to a No. 1 NCAA seed and then departed for the NBA draft, Self had 6-10 Thomas Robinson. Although Robinson was viewed by pro scouts as an elite talent, in two seasons he’d never averaged even 15 minutes. Self helped him manage the overnight transition to college stardom.

From a group of players that included no one who’d averaged more than 3.7 points at the Big 12 level, Self fashioned a capable support group. Center Jeff Withey blossomed into an able partner for Robinson. Guard Elijah Johnson gave KU a second ballhandler in the backcourt. Wing Travis Releford became an elite defender. Conner Teahan came off the bench to shoot.

— KU's Robinson is Big 12 player of the year

— Big 12 Tournament preview

Self persevered without three of his top recruits, who were ineligible to compete.

But he did his best work with Taylor, who developed rapidly through the course of the season into one of the nation’s elite point guards.

“First of all, he trusted me, put the ball in my hand and said, ‘This is going to be your team, and it’s going to go as far as you take us,’ ” Taylor says.

It was an obvious call but not an easy one—Taylor had struggled to mature through three previous seasons. He blames himself for a lot of his troubles, both on and off the court. “Early in my career it was hard because I thought I could do more and I was on a team that I really didn’t need to,” Taylor says. “Sometimes, I kind of got in my own way, kind of got upset. Along the way, I think that made me a better basketball player.

“He didn’t give up on us. He was hard on us. He made us come to work every day. Everybody was unsure what we had. Without saying—we wouldn’t have told you if you asked—but in the back of our heads we were unsure of what we could do.”

Self admits he was uncertain as well and also allows that, “Early in the season, we were not a good team.”

But in the end, the Jayhawks were.

They had the best of help in the interim.

All Sporting News college basketball awards were voted on by staff writers and editors, in consultation with coaches and scouts around the country.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-03-05/bill-self-kansas-jayhawks-sporting-news-coach-of-the-year-march-madness#ixzz1oMUlKFDa

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
WE LOVE OUR SELF!!!!!!!!

(8 exclaimation points... one for each conference title)

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
They got one right, AD player of the year...Meh...

Bambi
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
http://www.muckfizzou.com/downloads/March_Swagness_Wallpaper_800x600.png

KC_Connection
03-06-2012, 12:22 PM
They got one right, AD player of the year...Meh...
Davis is actually a better basketball player than Robinson, though.

Does that mean he should win POY? I don't know.

VikesFan
03-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought Frank Haith deserves it, I laughed when Missouri hired him thinking he is a terrible hire but he proved me wrong but congratulations to Bill

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Davis is actually a better basketball player than Robinson, though.

Does that mean he should win POY? I don't know.

You mean Pro, His numbers aren't as good as Trobs by a long shot.

KC_Connection
03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
You mean Pro, His numbers aren't as good as Trobs by a long shot.
No, I mean he's simply a better basketball player. He impacts the game a lot more.

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
No, I mean he's simply a better basketball player. He impacts the game a lot more.

So he demands a double/triple team constantly?

KC_Connection
03-06-2012, 12:29 PM
So he demands a double/triple team constantly?
If he was on a team with only one or two scoring threats, he would, yes. He's one of the most efficient college bigs in the game.

He's also the best defensive college basketball player in over a decade.

lcarus
03-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I thought Frank Haith deserves it, I laughed when Missouri hired him thinking he is a terrible hire but he proved me wrong but congratulations to Bill

You an Orlando Magic fan too? Thought I was the only one.

vailpass
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Good news, this means we are one step closer to football season.

KILLER_CLOWN
If he was on a team with only one or two scoring threats, he would, yes. He's one of the most efficient college bigs in the game.

He's also the best defensive college basketball player in over a decade.

I haven't really noticed that in the KY games i've watched.

KILLER_CLOWN

Except for the boring ass baseball season that lasts forever.

Bambi

Can't wait. It's good when you can enjoy sports all year round.

vailpass
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Sure you do.

FishingRod
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Thought the same of the hire. He did a damn fine job and I would not have had a problem with Haith as coach of the year. But when you look at what KU looked like at the start of the year and relize they won their 8 th straight title with 2 games to spare, one has to admit Self did one of his best coaching jobs this year. I would not have been happy but I would not have been shocked had KU finised 4th or 5th this year.

KC_Connection
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I haven't really noticed that in the KY games i've watched.
Noticed what? The incredibly efficient scoring or the amazing defensive presence that is unmatched by anybody in the NCAA?

Davis is a vastly superior basketball player to anybody in the country this year. If the POY is solely an award for the best player, he should win. I would love TRob to win, but I'd have to be lying to myself to think differently.

VikesFan
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
You an Orlando Magic fan too? Thought I was the only one.

Yup, been a Magic fan my entire life, good to see another Magic fan on here! :D

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Noticed what? The incredibly efficient scoring or the amazing defensive presence that is unmatched by anybody in the NCAA?

Davis is a vastly superior basketball player to anybody in the country this year. If the POY is solely an award for the best player, he should win. I would love TRob to win, but I'd have to be lying to myself to think differently.

Put it this way...Where would KU be without Trob? Where would Kentucky be without Davis?

Kentucky may have 3 losses, KU would probably have 10+

Bambi
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Sure you do.

?? I root for a team that holds the NCAA record for combined football and basketball victories in a season.

I love winning.

I don't get your sarcasm.

What team are you a fan of?

KC_Connection
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Put it this way...Where would KU be without Trob? Where would Kentucky be without Davis?

Kentucky may have 3 losses, KU would probably have 10+
You do have a point there and that's the real argument in favor of TRob. But is that how POY should be defined....like a MVP award?

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
You do have a point there and that's the real argument in favor of TRob. But is that how POY should be defined....like a MVP award?

That is the way i've heard it argued, but i guess it's up to each individual voter. I'll take a championship over that poy honor and i'm sure TROB would too.

boogblaster
03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Too bad KU cant field a football team too .....

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2012, 12:49 PM

That's Charlie Weis to you! I know why you guys bolted for the SEC now.

Bambi
03-06-2012, 12:50 PM

We have that coach of the year honor too.

Thank you for trying.

Molitoth
03-06-2012, 01:14 PM
What a cockgobbling joke.

Bambi
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM

I know. Shoulda been Hoiberg.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM

You'd probably feel differently if MU was predicted by many to finish 4th or 5th in the conference but instead won their 8th conference title in a row with 2 games to spare. Haith would be the man in that case.

vailpass
03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
?? I root for a team that holds the NCAA record for combined football and basketball victories in a season.

I love winning.

LMAO Is it time for another Wickedson tangent of the ridiculous?

Molitoth
03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
You'd probably feel differently if MU was predicted by many to finish 4th or 5th in the conference but instead won their 8th conference title in a row with 2 games to spare. Haith would be the man in that case.

Whoever predicted KU to finish 4-5th in the conf is an idiot. I'm no KU homer and I expect them to finish 1st. Self is a great coach, and they routinely snatch up the best talent in college basketball.

I think other coaches did a lot more with a lot less and are more deserving of the title.

ReynardMuldrake
03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
When one player shows improvement, that's usually on the player. When your whole team shows improvement season after season, putting together a string of 8 conference titles, that's on the coaching.

I get the arguments for Haith and Hoiberg, but Self really is having a hell of a year considering how far KU has come.

Lzen
03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Whoever predicted KU to finish 4-5th in the conf is an idiot. I'm no KU homer and I expect them to finish 1st. Self is a great coach, and they routinely snatch up the best talent in college basketball.

I think other coaches did a lot more with a lot less and are more deserving of the title.

Not a single McDonald's All American on this year's squad. Just FTR.

Bambi
03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Not a single McDonald's All American on this year's squad. Just FTR.

Tyshawn Taylor was better known for turning the ball over at the beginning of the year. Elijah Johnson scores less than 10 points a game and has a 3 point shooting percentage hovering around 30% and Conner Tehan is a walk on.

duncan_idaho
03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Congrats to self. According to my mole, Self edged Haith by just a few points (basically, one more person had Self-Haith than Haith-Self).

Has made for some great basketball in the area this year. Hope we get a rubber match on Saturday.

kcchiefsus
03-06-2012, 02:47 PM

Not when you are a KU football Dan. Enjoy another 8-10 loss season.

Bambi
03-06-2012, 02:52 PM

The life of a KU Football "Fan" is full of peaks and valleys.

That's what makes it so fun. I personally can't wait.

vailpass
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Basketball produces 19 times the revenue of football when viewed from a certain angle and KU has won the national championship in football 12 out of the last 10 years only YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!!/sickedwon

Extra Point
03-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I know. Shoulda been Hoiberg.

Hoiberg will earn the Big 12 Tournament Coach honor, I believe. He's really turned the ISU program around.

Self can get the best out of his players, for sure. Releford is the hidden gem on the Jayhawks team, IMHO.

Bambi
03-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Basketball produces 19 times the revenue of football when viewed from a certain angle and KU has won the national championship in football 12 out of the last 10 years only YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!!/sickedwon

I know, the advertising revenue and tv contacts for college basketball surprised me too.

Frazod
03-06-2012, 03:29 PM

That peak was a low cliff. You're still falling.

Dartgod
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM

KU Football "peaks and valleys" in graphic form.

http://content7.flixster.com/movie/26/41/264193_det.jpg

saphojunkie
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Dude, the NBA draft is there for who is "the best player." The player of the year is just that - who had the best year.

Trobs has had the best year, and it isn't close. Davis has been unreal with shot blocking, sure. But the guy isn't even averaging a double-double. He gets less than ten rebounds a game, and at 6'10", that just won't cut it for POY.

Robinson has also shown an ability to score in different ways. He can pull up off the dribble, he has a very nice size-up jumper, and he has straight-up dominated fools in the paint.

Davis is a very good player, and is probably more talented than Trobs. Of course, talent means very little next to determination, and Robinson was a man on a mission this year.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-06-2012, 04:08 PM

I love winning.

ROFL I had as many conference wins as KU football had last year. His sarcasm is spot on.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM

What? KU was tied as picked to finish first. Mizzou was picked to finish 5th and a fringe top 25 team.

Bambi
03-06-2012, 04:50 PM
another good avatar for ya'll

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/19898236/view/1/producttypecolor/17/type/png/width/280/height/280/8-str8-big-12-champs_design.png

kstater
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
It's a conspiracy against Haith.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-06-2012, 04:58 PM
MU doesn't care about basketball.