PDA

View Full Version : Orson Charles Arrested.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Per profootballtalk.com

Orson Charles, a Georgia tight end who is considered one of the top prospects at his position in the NFL draft, was arrested early this morning and charged with DUI.

Charles’s name is listed on the Athens-Clarke County Jail booking log, and the student newspaper at the University of Georgia confirms that the Orson Charles who was arrested is the same Orson Charles who was an All-SEC tight end at Georgia.

Charles left Georgia early to enter this year’s draft and is listed as the No. 1 tight end prospect by Mike Mayock.

For NFL teams, the question will now be this: If Charles can’t stay out of trouble during the couple of months before the draft, when he knows he’s being closely scrutinized by the NFL world, will he be able to stay out of trouble after he’s drafted?

DaKCMan AP
03-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Great, maybe we can now grab him in the 4th or 5th round a la his former UGA teammate Justin Houston.

KCtotheSB
03-09-2012, 05:53 AM
It boggles the mind on how any of these athletes/celebrities can't afford to pay for someone else to drive them home.

Direckshun
03-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Great, maybe we can now grab him in the 4th or 5th round a la his former UGA teammate Justin Houston.

That's my line of thinking.

Get team captains rounds 1 through 3, and 5 through 7.

Get Charles in the 4th.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
It boggles the mind on how any of these athletes/celebrities can't afford to pay for someone else to drive them home.

He's still a college kid; there's no money rolling in yet.

Oh yeah, and did I mention he's a college kid? Were you at your brightest during those years?

Some GMs are going to take him off the board for this and those GMs are very very stupid. He got caught for something many of us have done many times in our younger years. Shit happens.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2012, 08:13 AM
He's still a college kid; there's no money rolling in yet.

Oh yeah, and did I mention he's a college kid? Were you at your brightest during those years?

Some GMs are going to take him off the board for this and those GMs are very very stupid. He got caught for something many of us have done many times in our younger years. Shit happens.

There is money rolling in. There is a youtube video of Dontari Poe buying his mom an Escalade a few months back.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2012, 08:23 AM
There is money rolling in. There is a youtube video of Dontari Poe buying his mom an Escalade a few months back.

He can probably get a bank to float him secured credit to buy a car, yes.

Or sure, Charles could get himself a credit card and float for a couple months.

Then again, that only brings us back to point 2 - how smart were you at 21 years old? Ever have too many and drive home? I know I did, and I'm pretty sure any of us could've afforded cab fare from the local watering hole so it's not as though it was a money reason.

It's just a very naive reason to start casting stones, IMO.

the Talking Can
03-09-2012, 08:32 AM
he was "also charged this morning with “minimum speed.”

ROFL

what a dumbass...driving 15 mph down a 4 lane, i bet

Chiefnj2
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Then again, that only brings us back to point 2 - how smart were you at 21 years old? Ever have too many and drive home? I know I did, and I'm pretty sure any of us could've afforded cab fare from the local watering hole so it's not as though it was a money reason.

Don't compare him to an ordinary college student. He is all but guaranteed to sign a 3 year contract worth about 1.25 million in the next two months. That's not your typical college student.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Don't compare him to an ordinary college student. He is all but guaranteed to sign a 3 year contract worth about 1.25 million in the next two months. That's not your typical college student.

Because getting more money makes you smarter...

He's as prone to any 21 year old to not do smart things, the money isn't even an issue here. Any one of us could have afforded to get a ride home and didn't always do so.

Like I said - if you want to take him off your draft board; go right ahead. I think its exceptionally foolish. This says nothing about his character other than the fact that he's evidently a young kid. Fortunately, I could've learned that from his driver's license.

htismaqe
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Because getting more money makes you smarter...

He's as prone to any 21 year old to not do smart things, the money isn't even an issue here. Any one of us could have afforded to get a ride home and didn't always do so.

Like I said - if you want to take him off your draft board; go right ahead. I think its exceptionally foolish. This says nothing about his character other than the fact that he's evidently a young kid. Fortunately, I could've learned that from his driver's license.

The money IS an issue. When you know what you have riding on it, you don't make stupid mistakes like this.

You want to compare him to a "normal 21-year old college student" - well, a NORMAL 21-year old college student doesn't do shit like this when somebody dangles a multi-million dollar carrot in front of their face...

DJ's left nut
03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
The money IS an issue. When you know what you have riding on it, you don't make stupid mistakes like this.

You want to compare him to a "normal 21-year old college student" - well, a NORMAL 21-year old college student doesn't do shit like this when somebody dangles a multi-million dollar carrot in front of their face...

Normal 21-year old students will still do that when it could cost them any chance at getting a job after College; or perhaps cost them the job they have in a down economy.

You could argue that it actually means less for Charles. Afterall, the difference between making $1 million/season and $500,000/season doesn't mean he's going to starve to death.

Whereas some kid looking at getting a $50K/yr job that now won't get it because all it takes is that one felony conviction on his record to cull him from the pool of 100's of applicants. Now he's going to have to get by on credit and gov't aid for several months. He's been hit a hell of a lot harder in terms of actual quality of life than Charles will be.

htismaqe
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Normal 21-year old students will still do that when it could cost them any chance at getting a job after College; or perhaps cost them the job they have in a down economy.

If said job was worth $5M over the course of 5 years and $1-2M potentially guaranteed, no they wouldn't.

the Talking Can
03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
it will cost him a round in the draft, imo....but with the paucity of TEs, someone will snatch him in the 3rd

DJ's left nut
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
If said job was worth $5M over the course of 5 years and $1-2M potentially guaranteed, no they wouldn't.

He's not going to go undrafted.

At worse, it costs him a few hundred thousand and he's still going to be a very wealthy man.

The consequences are less dire for Orson Charles than they would be for any random 21 year old that doesn't have an NFL skill-set.

htismaqe
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
He's not going to go undrafted.

At worse, it costs him a few hundred thousand and he's still going to be a very wealthy man.

The consequences are less dire for Orson Charles than they would be for any random 21 year old that doesn't have an NFL skill-set.

I wouldn't draft him. He's obviously not very smart.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't draft him. He's obviously not very smart.

Good on ya - but someone will.

I certainly would. I wouldn't let him slip past us in the 4th and would probably still consider him in the 3rd.

Saul Good
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Yes they would. DJ's exactly right. This guy will still be wealthy. It's not going to cost him getting drafted early in the draft. A DUI can really screw up a person's life. Its not going to screw up this dude's life.

Chief_For_Life58
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
He can probably get a bank to float him secured credit to buy a car, yes.

Or sure, Charles could get himself a credit card and float for a couple months.

kc needs to draft him. we love to drink and drive here