PDA

View Full Version : Life Those who travel abroad?

El Jefe
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Do you always pre-arrange shuttle transportation from the airport to your resort and vice versa? I have always done that for a little piece of mind, but this time apparently all their shuttles are booked for my trip in May. I am going to the D.R. and they told me something may open up and it may not. Has anyone just just used a Taxi from the airport?

El Jefe
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
I booked everything through Orbitz, but am curious to see if I can book shuttle services through somoene else? Anyone have any advice or experience with this?

El Jefe
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM

prhom
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Never been to DR so I'm familiar with how safe the cabs are. When I travel for work in Africa I always have it pre-arranged and never take a cab. Thats just me though, I like to minimize the potential for getting robbed or kidnapped. DR may be totally safe, I'm sure someone on cp has been there.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I always take a cab. They are always available and usually less expensive than shuttles.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I'd never take a local taxi in the worry I might get overcharged, robbed, or worse. I'd find a shuttle, car service, etc. and book in advance.

cdcox
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
From the US Department of State http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html

There are continuing reports of thefts that target tourists en route from the airport to their hotel or home. Some U.S. citizens have been victimized in taxis. In a typical case, a taxi with rolled-down windows stops at a traffic light, and a motorcyclist reaches in and steals a purse or other valuables.. You are advised to utilize the taxi service authorized by the airport if you didn’t make arrangements before arrival. Even when using such an authorized taxi service, you should always be aware of the potential for a criminal to stalk travelers leaving the airport parking area. U.S. citizens in privately owned vehicles have also been targeted, and you should always keep doors and windows locked at all times to deter criminals. Some travelers returning to local residences in privately owned vehicles have been followed, assaulted, and robbed upon arrival at their home.

Many public transportation vehicles are unsafe, especially the route taxis or “carros publicos” in urban areas. These are privately owned cars that run along certain routes, can take up to six or more passengers, and are inexpensive. Passengers in “carros publicos” are frequently the victims of pick pocketing, and passengers have on occasion been robbed by “carro publico” drivers. Urban buses (“guaguas”) are only marginally better. We are also aware of at least one incident in which the driver of a “motoconcho” (motorcycle taxi) robbed a U.S. citizen passenger. The U.S. Embassy cautions its staff not to use these modes of transportation. As an alternative, some scheduled interurban bus services use modern buses and run on reliable timetables. These are generally the safest means of intercity travel. With respect to taxis, visitors to the Dominican Republic are strongly advised to take only hotel taxis or taxis operated by services whose cabs are arranged in advance by phone and can subsequently be identified and tracked.Drivers should exercise extreme caution when driving at night and use major highways when possible. In 2009, a U.S. citizen riding her moped was stopped and robbed on a rural road near Samana.

I assume that dominicanairporttransfers.com is the site you tried and is all booked up?

loochy
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Taxis will scam the F out of you.

King_Chief_Fan
03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I get pre-arranged transportation to and from every place I go outside of the U.S.

Rain Man
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
If it's a third world country I'll generally try to use a hotel shuttle. I've done cabs and not had a problem, though.

DumbHillbillies
03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I've used cabs before they may overcharger you but its better than nothing seeing as the shuttles are booked

El Jefe
03-13-2012, 02:04 PM
From the US Department of State http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html

There are continuing reports of thefts that target tourists en route from the airport to their hotel or home. Some U.S. citizens have been victimized in taxis. In a typical case, a taxi with rolled-down windows stops at a traffic light, and a motorcyclist reaches in and steals a purse or other valuables.. You are advised to utilize the taxi service authorized by the airport if you didn’t make arrangements before arrival. Even when using such an authorized taxi service, you should always be aware of the potential for a criminal to stalk travelers leaving the airport parking area. U.S. citizens in privately owned vehicles have also been targeted, and you should always keep doors and windows locked at all times to deter criminals. Some travelers returning to local residences in privately owned vehicles have been followed, assaulted, and robbed upon arrival at their home.

Many public transportation vehicles are unsafe, especially the route taxis or “carros publicos” in urban areas. These are privately owned cars that run along certain routes, can take up to six or more passengers, and are inexpensive. Passengers in “carros publicos” are frequently the victims of pick pocketing, and passengers have on occasion been robbed by “carro publico” drivers. Urban buses (“guaguas”) are only marginally better. We are also aware of at least one incident in which the driver of a “motoconcho” (motorcycle taxi) robbed a U.S. citizen passenger. The U.S. Embassy cautions its staff not to use these modes of transportation. As an alternative, some scheduled interurban bus services use modern buses and run on reliable timetables. These are generally the safest means of intercity travel. With respect to taxis, visitors to the Dominican Republic are strongly advised to take only hotel taxis or taxis operated by services whose cabs are arranged in advance by phone and can subsequently be identified and tracked.Drivers should exercise extreme caution when driving at night and use major highways when possible. In 2009, a U.S. citizen riding her moped was stopped and robbed on a rural road near Samana.

I assume that dominicanairporttransfers.com is the site you tried and is all booked up?

You sir are awesome for posting that link for me. I haven't even heard of that site. I was starting to get a little worried. Im not that small, im 6'6 300lbs, but when a gun or knife is used, I may as well be a helpless little midget.

El Jefe
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I've used cabs before they may overcharger you but its better than nothing seeing as the shuttles are booked

Man, the dominican transport site CD linked me would charge me $164.00 round trip O_0

cdcox
03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
You sir are awesome for posting that link for me. I haven't even heard of that site. I was starting to get a little worried. Im not that small, im 6'6 300lbs, but when a gun or knife is used, I may as well be a helpless little midget.

My wife's cousin is about your size and became a victim of an attempted kidnapping when he was working in Columbia. He decided to resist, rather than get in the car to who knows where. They shot him twice and he spent the better part of 2011 learning how to walk again.

That $165 doesn't seem so bad when you think about it. Besides it's vacation $, which is kind of like monopoly money anyway.

El Jefe
03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
My wife's cousin is about your size and became a victim of an attempted kidnapping when he was working in Columbia. He decided to resist, rather than get in the car to who knows where. They shot him twice and he spent the better part of 2011 learning how to walk again.

That $165 doesn't seem so bad when you think about it. Besides it's vacation $, which is kind of like monopoly money anyway.

Very true, it comes down to how much is your peace of mind worth, and a couple hundred bucks is well worth it!

ROFL on the monopoly/vaca money LOL.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Come on. Live a little.

MIAdragon
03-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Colombia is a different animal compared to most places. There are a few places I wont go and that's one of them.

I've traveled quite a bit, as for cabs do your homework before you go. See what companies are legitimate and who is recommended before you leave. Take them during the day and have a good idea the route you need to take. Also have some local currency as well as the latest exchange rate and ALWAYS negotiate the price BEFORE you get in. Cabbies can be the best place for the non tourist spots and best places to eat. As long as you do your homework they are the way to go.

El Jefe
03-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Come on. Live a little.

Yeah, you would love nothing better than for me to get hurt.