PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Olive Garden Lovers REJOICE!

gblowfish
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
85-year old little old lady, who writes restaurant reviews in Grand Forks, ND, writes a glowing review of Grand Forks' new Olive Garden. That's damn good eatin' in Grand Forks!

Her review goes viral and gets 290,000 hits! Paper goes ape shit!
Story from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is here:

http://tinyurl.com/7pwupah

Robo-Chachi
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/j9v9tl.jpg

mikeyis4dcats.
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
/backs out of thread

listopencil
03-13-2012, 03:03 PM
May she continue doing her job for a very long time.

Baby Lee
03-13-2012, 03:03 PM
R

Rain Man
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I may have to make a road trip up there to try that place.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-13-2012, 03:09 PM
mods, please move to George's favorite restaurant thread. Thanks in advance.

gblowfish
03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey, now she's headed to NYC.

We're headliners, baby!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6olmqno

SNR
03-13-2012, 03:11 PM
By the way, I personally know this lady. I have yet to talk to her since her Olive Garden review, though.

But still, if you want Marilyn Hagerty secrets, I got'em!

BIG_DADDY
03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
If Olive Garden is good eats where you live then you need to move, seriously.

SNR
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
If Olive Garden is good eats where you live then you need to move, seriously.So nobody should ever live in a city that has fewer than 100,000 people?

Got it.

Bump
03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
By the way, I personally know this lady. I have yet to talk to her since her Olive Garden review, though.

what does she think about Applebees? Fucking 5 stars or what?

SNR
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
what does she think about Applebees? Fucking 5 stars or what?I never read that review, but she DID talk about the new Taco Bell that opened a few years ago.

Seriously. Look it up. I'm not even joking.

To be fair, she's mostly writing about new restaurants as a small-town "Hey, just so you guys know, this place exists." She, too, finds these reviews she writes to be ridiculous. But people genuinely like what she writes in the Herald, so she keeps going with what works.

Discuss Thrower
03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Olive Garden's bread sticks are pretty delicions. IIRC the pizza wasn't too bad either.

BIG_DADDY
03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
So nobody should ever live in a city that has fewer than 100,000 people?

Got it.

It's either that or she is the worst food critic ever. BTW there are plenty of highly populated areas with only shit food for the most part.

BIG_DADDY
03-13-2012, 04:33 PM
I never read that review, but she DID talk about the new Taco Bell that opened a few years ago.

Seriously. Look it up. I'm not even joking.

To be fair, she's mostly writing about new restaurants as a small-town "Hey, just so you guys know, this place exists." She, too, finds these reviews she writes to be ridiculous. But people genuinely like what she writes in the Herald, so she keeps going with what works.

Taco Bell review? LMAO

Rain Man
03-13-2012, 04:35 PM

How do you know she'll still talk to you at this point? You knew her before she hit the big time.

SNR
03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
How do you know she'll still talk to you at this point? You knew her before she hit the big time.She probably won't. She knows me in that "SNR? Oh yeah, he's that one guy" kind of way. But I haven't said a single word to her in a long time.

It's okay. My mom actually has an autographed copy of her article anthology titled "Echoes." I got all I needed out of that bitch before she became famous

BIG_DADDY
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
She probably won't. She knows me in that "SNR? Oh yeah, he's that one guy" kind of way. But I haven't said a single word to her in a long time.

It's okay. My mom actually has an autographed copy of her article anthology titled "Echoes." I got all I needed out of that bitch before she became famous

Too bad she didn't sign your bean burrito.

SNR
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Too bad she didn't sign your bean burrito.Was that an innuendo?

bevischief
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
She wrote this in March of 2012 and now you start a thread about it? What the hell?

Baby Lee
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/eatbeat-its-easy-go-light-or-go-full-ruby-tuesday

BigChiefTablet
02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Maybe I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but I'd much rather eat Olive Garden than some fancy french place with a ton of accolades.

greatgooglymoogly
02-26-2014, 02:49 PM
I want Keith Jackson to record an audiobook of her reviews.

"I found the fountain drinks are $2.49, which seems like a going rate in these times. Still, it keeps me on a water course."

stonedstooge
02-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Tough to come up with good new news up Nortt since the party lines were removed back in the 70's. I remember my grandmothers ring was 2 longs and a short.

Dayze
02-26-2014, 02:53 PM

"I found the fountain drinks are $2.49, which seems like a going rate in these times. Still, it keeps me on a water course."

or Christopher Walken

Clyde Frog
02-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Maybe I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but I'd much rather eat Olive Garden than some fancy french place with a ton of ESCALADES.

FYP

BIG_DADDY
02-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Maybe I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but I'd much rather eat Olive Garden than some fancy french place with a ton of accolades.

Have you ever even been in a high end French restaurant?

sedated
02-26-2014, 04:03 PM

To-go fountain drinks at $1 make a profit of around 1000%, I canít believe a restaurant (that uses re-washable cups) can get away with charging $2.50. Fountain drinks are a goldmine in the restaurant business.

vailpass
02-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Have you ever even been in a high end French restaurant?

Just look at that s car go!

Dave Lane
02-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Olive Garden is disgusting, and I'm Italian.

Simply Red
02-26-2014, 11:19 PM

LMAO

Heck if forced - the Portobello Shroom Ravioli is pretty dang good - as far as that shit hole is concerned.

Dave Lane
02-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Salad only for me thanks :)

Simply Red
02-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Curious - do any of you still go to V's?

BryanBusby
02-26-2014, 11:25 PM

Italian people are generally really fucking picky about Italian food though. Unless the sauce is picked straight from vines in Italy than whatever the dish is, well it's shit.

In this case though, I agree. :)

Simply Red
02-26-2014, 11:27 PM
looks like V's has a nice fried chicken on their menu.

RippedmyFlesh
02-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Italian people are generally really fucking picky about Italian food though. Unless the sauce is picked straight from vines in Italy than whatever the dish is, well it's shit.

In this case though, I agree. :)

You mean kind of the way someone in KC would view a Mcrib sandwich from mickeyD's? Being Italian and not liking olive garden is not being picky.

Simply Red
02-26-2014, 11:33 PM
You mean kind of the way someone in KC would view a Mcrib sandwich from mickeyD's? Being Italian and not liking olive garden is not being picky.

RippedmyFlesh, I'll have you know the best Italian I've had was in little Italy in Manhattan ;)

Outdoors, white table cloth.

Good stuff!

BryanBusby
02-26-2014, 11:38 PM

Reading is hard.

RippedmyFlesh
02-26-2014, 11:43 PM
RippedmyFlesh, I'll have you know the best Italian I've had was in little Italy in Manhattan ;)

Outdoors, white table cloth.

Good stuff!

The best Italian place I used to go to looked like you were sitting in an old Italian lady's kitchen. They were kitchen tables instead of normal tables. The old guy would yell at you for not finishing the plate of pasta that could feed at least 4 hungry people. Went with a friend who quit drinking he gave us a bottle of wine and when he turned his back my dry buddy would pour his wine in my glass so he wouldn't get yelled at. I got hammered.

RippedmyFlesh
02-26-2014, 11:48 PM
"You no finish? You no like my cooking?!! Here taka(phoenetic not misspelled ) my knife and kill me now"

He made the soup nazi look like Mr Rogers.

Phobia
02-27-2014, 03:08 AM
The following are reasons I would eat at Olive Garden:

Simply Red
02-27-2014, 06:19 AM
The following are reasons I would eat at Olive Garden:

Their Portobello Ravioli is a diamond in the rough.

Baby Lee
09-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Big Daddy Fatality. I stand kowed. ;)

http://youtu.be/qJxnAR8Vs0I

Mr. Flopnuts
09-16-2014, 01:26 AM

ROFL

Baby Lee
09-16-2014, 01:43 AM
BTW - that might have been the best episode of a 'news' show I've ever seen. Every bit hit. Didn't hurt that he had such great material.

Scotland's vote was right up his alley
The Olive Garden bit was gold
Then there was DiGornio using a domestic violence hashtag #whyIstayed from the Ray Rice discussion, to say 'because you had pizza'

:eek:

Rausch
09-16-2014, 03:40 AM
85-year old little old lady, who writes restaurant reviews in Grand Forks, ND, writes a glowing review of Grand Forks' new Olive Garden. That's damn good eatin' in Grand Forks!

Her review goes viral and gets 290,000 hits! Paper goes ape shit!
Story from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is here:

http://tinyurl.com/7pwupah

Sorry, the page cannot be displayed.

Well done...

Rausch
09-16-2014, 03:43 AM

Did Dave Gilmour sign it as well?...

Rausch
09-16-2014, 03:46 AM

Are you a fucking philistine?

It's all Morgan Freeman or get the fuck out!

Rausch
09-16-2014, 03:57 AM

Never ate there, wife never ate there, but after the absolute blizzard of commercials she wanted to go.

Fair enough. So I said "lets look up the closest one and read some reviews."

She doesn't want to go now.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU internets...

505 Chief
09-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Olive Garden has "lovers"?

BigChiefTablet
09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
I will happily eat Olive Garden. I suppose I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but fucking everyone is a food critic these days, and most of them are pretentious assholes that bash Olive Garden because someone told them it's cool to not like Olive Garden.

Hays
09-16-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't mind OG, the soup salad breadstick lunch is worth it.

Stewie
09-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I've eaten at Olive Garden once. It's not convenient to my house, but it was good. I ordered pasta with shrimp and a salad. The bread was good... as well as the service. I'm not sure what people expect at a place like OG.

gblowfish
09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Their "Tour of Italy" is a lot cheaper than getting on an airplane, I'll give them that.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I like a couple of their soups quite a bit. But the quality of some of their other basic fare has gone down hill a lot in the last couple years. And I've always hated their never ending pasta deal. Back when I ate everything in sight, I'd get that deal when it was available - the first bowl would be good, subsequent refills would be significantly lesser in quality.

Just Passin' By
09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I like a couple of their soups quite a bit. But the quality of some of their other basic fare has gone down hill a lot in the last couple years. And I've always hated their never ending pasta deal. Back when I ate everything in sight, I'd get that deal when it was available - the first bowl would be good, subsequent refills would be significantly lesser in quality.

Well, get ready to hate it all over again. It starts on the 22nd.

Pastas
Spaghetti
Angel Hair
Fettuccine
Penne
Cavatappi
Whole Wheat Linguine

Sauces
NEW! Spicy Three Meat*
NEW! Roasted Mushroom Alfredo*
Marinara
Alfredo
Five Cheese Marinara
Meat Sauce

Toppings
NEW! Shrimp Fritta
Chicken Fritta
Italian Sausage
Meatballs

http://www.olivegarden.com/specials/never-ending-pasta-bowl

Fried Meat Ball!
09-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, get ready to hate it all over again. It starts on the 22nd.

Pastas
Spaghetti
Angel Hair
Fettuccine
Penne
Cavatappi
Whole Wheat Linguine

Sauces
NEW! Spicy Three Meat*
NEW! Roasted Mushroom Alfredo*
Marinara
Alfredo
Five Cheese Marinara
Meat Sauce

Toppings
NEW! Shrimp Fritta
Chicken Fritta
Italian Sausage
Meatballs

http://www.olivegarden.com/specials/never-ending-pasta-bowl

I can't eat there anyway. If I'm gonna be bad and have Italian from a restaurant instead of cooking it myself, I'll take Carrabba's.

Just Passin' By
09-16-2014, 04:09 PM
I can't eat there anyway. If I'm gonna be bad and have Italian from a restaurant instead of cooking it myself, I'll take Carrabba's.

Ahh... Carrabba's. I go to Carrabba's and order the rigatoni campagnolo. It's not on the menu anymore, but they still make it for you, if you ask. Add the bread and herbs, and the chicken noodle or sausage and lentil soup, and I'm feeling happy.

saphojunkie
09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Ahh... Carrabba's. I go to Carrabba's and order the rigatoni campagnolo. It's not on the menu anymore, but they still make it for you, if you ask. Add the bread and herbs, and the chicken noodle or sausage and lentil soup, and I'm feeling happy.

http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/colinfarreldisgusted.gif