PDA

View Full Version : Books No More Encyclopedia Britannica!

gblowfish
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Calling it quits after 244 years!
Story is here:
http://tinyurl.com/6r96pbu

BigCatDaddy
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Damn, how am I going to research stuff now?

seclark
03-14-2012, 09:21 AM
i was waiting for the movie to come out, anyway.
sec

Saulbadguy
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hxwin9XFbnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gonzo
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Wow,
That sucks. I used to love it when our school would get a brand-new set each year. I used to read those things for hours.
Hey, at least we have Wikipedia, right? I mean, that site is always 100% accurate.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-14-2012, 09:28 AM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hxwin9XFbnQ" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donavan_Freberg

Interesting to note, Donovan had no "real" first name until he was 5. Until then he was called "Baby Boy".

Groves
03-14-2012, 09:32 AM
We had a set when I was growing up. It wasn't *that* old, but it still contained some really weird/outdated things.

In the Shark section, it still said that they needed to roll onto their backs in order to eat, for instance.

gblowfish
03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
BTW: Did the NY Times spell "Encyclopedia" wrong, or is it just me???

Hydrae
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
They have stopped PRINTING the encylopedia, they are not going away completely.

Donger
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
BTW: Did the NY Times spell "Encyclopedia" wrong, or is it just me???

LMAO

KILLER_CLOWN
03-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Wow,
That sucks. I used to love it when our school would get a brand-new set each year. I used to read those things for hours.
Hey, at least we have Wikipedia, right? I mean, that site is always 100% accurate.

ROFL

Donger
03-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Egon was right. Print is dead.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM

They will eventually be destroyed.

loochy
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
When I was a kid, I liked World Book better because of its abundance of pictures.

Donger
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
When I was a kid, I liked World Book better because of its abundance of pictures.

Me too. I liberated a complete set from my school library, which I still have.

otherstar
03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Egon was right. Print is dead.

Print isn't entirely dead. It's just that encyclopedia's are easier to produce and maintain in an online environment. Journals, OTOH, are still doing quite well in print. For example, the library where I work had to cancel the online subscription to the Journal of the American Medical Association because it cost 10 times more than the print -- which runs about $800.00 a year for a college. I work with electronic journals/print journals on a daily basis...print is LONG from being dead.

tooge
03-14-2012, 10:07 AM
the yellow pages is next

loochy
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Me too. I liberated a complete set from my school library, which I still have.

Did you know that the entry for "sex" is right next to a navigation tool called a "sextant"?

loochy
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
the yellow pages is next

I hope so. I wish they'd stop leaving them on everyone's doorsteps. Nobody even uses them and they just waste a ton of paper and distribution resources.

listopencil
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Ah, how bittersweet. I remember reading through the encyclopedia as a toddler. I love having the internet to dig through though. It's like having a giant library at my fingertips. It's a library full of crap, but you can find some worthwhile content if you look for it.

listopencil
03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I hope so. I wish they'd stop leaving them on everyone's doorsteps. Nobody even uses them and they just waste a ton of paper and distribution resources.

Have you tried throwing them back at the guy in the pick up truck when they creep by your house? It doesn't really change anything, but it makes me feel better.

HemiEd
03-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Pretty sad, but it is the sign of the times. My eldest, who later got here PHD, wanted a set of encyclopedias when she was in Jr. high. We couldn't afford them, but I won a set by selling more Monroe Shocks than the rest of our salesman. :D

Stewie
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
the yellow pages is next

Yessir! We just got our yearly delivery at work. The YP is getting smaller and smaller. I also used to get competitor phone books to YP, but they seem to have stopped printing them completely.

BigCatDaddy
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
It's a good thing Frankie has those memorized verbatim.

tooge
03-14-2012, 11:12 AM

why? they make great firepit starters and will stop a fielf point if you put two of them back to back. It's the only way I can shoot my bow in the basement without putting holes in the wall. Plus lots of old people need them to see out the front windshield.

qabbaan
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM

They need to outlaw junk mail. How much paper gets wasted on those things? Does anyone under the age of 60 even glance at them?

Rain Man
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
They need to outlaw junk mail. How much paper gets wasted on those things? Does anyone under the age of 60 even glance at them?

My wife brought up this point a while back and I thought it was interesting.

Point A. The USPS is in financial trouble.

Point B. The USPS gives substantial price breaks to bulk mail advertisers.

Point C. The public doesn't like getting bulk mail advertising.

Does anyone else see a solution to multiple problems imbedded somewhere in these three points?

Count Zarth
03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a full set. Wonder if it will be worth something.

Donger
03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
My wife brought up this point a while back and I thought it was interesting.

Point A. The USPS is in financial trouble.

Point B. The USPS gives substantial price breaks to bulk mail advertisers.

Point C. The public doesn't like getting bulk mail advertising.

Does anyone else see a solution to multiple problems imbedded somewhere in these three points?

Yes.

Have the government instigate a tax per email and text sent, and per MB of data consumed. That will both generate revenue and encourage people to go back to paper bills and such.

That will allow the USPS to get out of financial trouble, while also allowing the bulk mail advertisers to continue to send things to people who don't want it.

HemiEd
03-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a full set. Wonder if it will be worth something.

They were pretty much worthless two years after their printing. I don't see that changing, but could be wrong.

Rain Man
03-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes.

Have the government instigate a tax per email and text sent, and per MB of data consumed. That will both generate revenue and encourage people to go back to paper bills and such.

That will allow the USPS to get out of financial trouble, while also allowing the bulk mail advertisers to continue to send things to people who don't want it.

Good idea. I also think you can revitalize downtowns by eliminating online streaming and sending people back to big grand theaters again.

As for me, my parents got a 1959 set of Encylopedia Americana at a garage sale when I was a kid. This was around 1974 so I was able to learn about all sorts of stuff other than space exploration.