PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs STANZI 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Get your Stanzi sigs and avatars on to support RICKY STANZI!!! OUR QBOTF!

STANZI 2012

Btw someone needs to pay a visit to Matthew Cassel and possibly break a couple of his limbs... Just a thought.

Chocolate Hog
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
No.

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-14-2012, 09:17 PM
No

O.city
I'm on board, but I'm weary that I'm here. Didn't wanna come here but was forced to.

Count Zarth
http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/stanzi8.gif

KCrockaholic
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jVrHZhMlsvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RICKY!

O.city
03-14-2012, 09:19 PM
http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/stanzi8.gif

Just watch the way it comes out of his hand. His footwork. His weight transfer. The ease he makes that throw. The accuracy.

I know it's by no means a terribly difficult throw, but it's so much better than anything we have seen from our starter.

SPATCH
03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
PHM

evolve27
03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Stanzi will play well then get traded. I'm done. Peyton Hillis is a great Fullback signing.

KCrockaholic
03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Just watch the way it comes out of his hand. His footwork. His weight transfer. The ease he makes that throw. The accuracy.

I know it's by no means a terribly difficult throw, but it's so much better than anything we have seen from our starter.

That throw was nearly 40 yards, on a rope.

stonedstooge
03-14-2012, 09:23 PM

No air under it at all.

Okie_Apparition
03-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Peyton Manning knows he can't beat Stanzi in camp

Count Zarth
03-14-2012, 09:25 PM

BORN TO BE A QUARTERBACK

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/hof.gif

wazu
03-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm on board. For me it's now down to either him or Tannehill.

Guru
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
If we don't bring in anyone for "competition" then Stanzi better be the starter in game one. I don't ever want to see Cassel behind center again.

O.city
If he were a senior this year and in this years qb class, where does he get drafted?

Count Zarth
http://i54.tinypic.com/33m1ouv.jpg

Count Zarth
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/np1hdc.jpg

O.city
I wish we would do away with the all white stuff.

Count Zarth
http://i55.tinypic.com/10opj6t.jpg

KCrockaholic
03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
If he were a senior this year and in this years qb class, where does he get drafted?

Heh. Higher than last year. If fuckin Cousins is being talked about as a late 1st rounder now, then Stanzi should've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Frankie
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jVrHZhMlsvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RICKY!

This past pre-season while almost the entire team looked bad RS was one of the bright lights. That's why I was so pissed when he was not dressed even for the first game. The 4th quarter of the several runaway losses that we had last season would have been great opportunities for him to gain some NFL experience.

Mr_Tomahawk
What's his longest throw?

KCrockaholic
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM

We need a red on red. Would be scary. It's something different at least.

KCrockaholic
03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
This past pre-season while almost the entire team looked bad RS was one of the bright lights. That's why I was so pissed when he was not dressed even for the first game. The 4th quarter of the several runaway losses that we had last season would have been great opportunities for him to gain some NFL experience.

Same for Jerrell Powe. Was bullcrap that he didn't get any PT last year. He played 1 game I believe.

O.city
The first gif clay put up was a pretty great throw.

Really, I dont' think they ever intended Stanzi to play a meaningful snap last year.

bricks
And they played Palko over Stanzi?

Man, Haley is stupid as hell

NJChiefsFan
03-14-2012, 09:32 PM

We need a red on red. Would be scary. It's something different at least.

Wow I don't agree with either. I love all white on the road. I am also not for all "team" color. The Texans all reds and Cardinals all reads are just obnoxious.

I am all for giving Stanzi this season if its between him and Cassel. I still think we need to do all we can to get another QB talent in here. I don't want to just assume Stanzi has it. Lets put him up against whatever else we can get and see who is better. If they are both great, well I don't even think that can happen in KC. If people want to draft a QB in 2013, even more reason to let Stanzi start day 1 over Cassel.

mr. tegu
03-14-2012, 09:33 PM

He was Just giving the f you to Pioli. Cost us the division too IMO :shake:

KC_Lee
03-14-2012, 09:33 PM

STANZI 2012

Btw someone needs to pay a visit to Matthew Cassel and possibly break a couple of his limbs... Just a thought.

I'm on board.

Can anyone find Jeff Gillooly?

O.city
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Lets get a CP change jar going, fill it, buy a billboard endorsing starting Stanzi?

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Stanzi to Moeaki sure brings back memories for us Iowa fans! Sure would be cool to see it again n again n again n so on.

Chocolate Hog
03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Stanzi to Moeaki sure brings back memories for us Iowa fans! Sure would be cool to see it again n again n again n so on.

Yeah we should strive to be the Iowa Hawkeyes.

And Stanzi looks like someone who comes to Johnson County when everyone puts out there trash.

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM

And Stanzi looks like someone who comes to Johnson County when everyone puts out there trash.

Nobody cares?

prhom
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM

Can't be sure, but that sounds racist.

Chocolate Hog
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM

Nobody cares?

Yeah nobody cares about Ricky Stanzi he was an average at best QB in college and couldn't even sniff the field playing for one of the worst offenses in the league. You Iowa Hawkeye homers are annoying.

KCrockaholic
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Lets get a CP change jar going, fill it, buy a billboard endorsing starting Stanzi?

I donate $1 dollar....Ok not actually. But I would.

ILChief
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
The first gif clay put up was a pretty great throw.

Really, I dont' think they ever intended Stanzi to play a meaningful snap last year.

I think they're plan for him is third string in his first year, backup his second year, and starter his third

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Can't be sure, but that sounds racist.
I reported it just to be sure.

ILChief
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=Simplicity;8455117]

Yeah nobody cares about Ricky Stanzi he was an average at best QB in college and couldn't even sniff the field playing for one of the worst offenses in the league. You Iowa Hawkeye homers are annoying.

Yes I am an Iowa homer despite not giving a crap about the Hawkeyes. Heck, I have never even been in the state of Iowa

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Bo's Pelini;8455117]

2 words... Todd Haley.... ****ing idiot put Tyler Palko out there.

and I guess you are right... Nobody around here cares about Ricky Stanzi. I mean it's not like a number of them have Stanzi avatars or signatures... BUT hey, what do I know?

prhom
03-14-2012, 09:52 PM

It's too bad Stanzi didn't get more playing time in pre-season. Our offseason highlight reel is pretty thin after the way we played last year. Usually there's enough Charles runs to get me through, but it's gonna be a tough 5 months this time.

milkman
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
[quote=Simplicity;8455117]

Anyone who watched the Chiefs preseason when Stanzi got the chance to play with the 2nd string could easily see that Stanzi was superior to Palko, and it wasn't even close.

I don't believe that we should be pinning any hopes on a 5th string project, but I don't really understand your blind hate for him.

Dmello12
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
start him!!

You can't tell me theres a better option, Matty is shit the FA are all taken up and not wanting to come to KC. The only other possible option is Tannehill and i see Stanzi beating him out if he comes to town. (which he wont)

Let him play:thumb:

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
[quote=Milkman;8455122]

Anyone who watched the Chiefs preseason when Stanzi got the chance to play with the 2nd string could easily see that Stanzi was superior to Palko, and it wasn't even close.

I don't believe that we should be pinning any hopes on a 5th string project, but I don't really understand your blind hate for him.

THIS....

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Why are the quotes messed up?

JoeyChuckles
03-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Because you touch yourself.

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Because you touch yourself.

:thumb:

NJChiefsFan
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
[quote=Bo's Pelini;8455122]

I agree. I don't think there is much doubt Stanzi didn't get a fair shake in playing over Palko. After what Palko did his first game how many coaches wouldn't have gone to Stanzi? I defended Haley a lot, but this decision was pretty selfish.

As you say, the preseason shows he has some talent. Maybe he isn't going to be a longterm starter, but I don't think its crazy that some people believe in him.

milkman
03-14-2012, 10:01 PM

Because the first poster who was later quoted himself fucked up the original.

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Because the first poster who was later quoted himself ****ed up the original.

Bo's Pelini? Because I was defending Stanzi and he was bashing him... Just getting that straight.

aturnis
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
According to Gabe Miller earlier tonight on twitter. This is an photograph from inside Ricky Stanzi's dryer. No joke.

https://p.twimg.com/An_deBPCEAI6q8P.jpg

Love it.

aturnis
03-14-2012, 10:19 PM

It's really too bad so many great passes like this were dropped. If he didn't deal with so many drops on perfectly thrown balls, he'd clearly have been the best QB in the preseason.

As it stands though, Bo Pelini will continue to go by the stats that had Palko playing significant time with the #1's, and #2's while Stanzi threw to #3's.

NJChiefsFan
03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure there is any real debate that Stanzi was the best QB we had in the preseason. Obviously who they play against matters, but it also needs to be taken into account who they play with. Now being a better QB than Cassel and Palko doesn't promise future success.

I do like what I saw from him visually, and I feel, especially in a battle against Cassel, Stanzi should start. There is no upside to starting Cassel, atleast there is a possibility of one with Stanzi. The Chiefs just can't stop looking for a QB because they have a gut feeling about Stanzi.

Cephalic Trauma
03-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Stanzi will play well then get traded. I'm done. Peyton Hillis is a great Fullback signing.

Cool signature. Because nobody else knows that.

Shogun
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm all for it, I think he has the talent and would put in the work, he showed great flashes in preseason, but they were against 3rd stringers.

KC Tattoo
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jlU0GQgooWM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jlU0GQgooWM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

hometeam
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Fuck it. If it ends up being Cassel or Stanzi give me Stanzi.

Cephalic Trauma
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
To the topic at hand. There's no way he's a downgrade in comparison to the atrocity we currently have there, so I'm fully on board.

Phobia
03-14-2012, 10:35 PM

Average college QB's don't get drafted or even sniffed by the NFL. They go straight into their 9-5 jobs.

Canofbier
03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Stanzimania 2012!

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Average college QB's don't get drafted or even sniffed by the NFL. They go straight into their 9-5 jobs.

Exactly... Bo's Pelini really didn't think his argument through.

KC Tattoo
03-14-2012, 10:40 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hWrEiDAK04?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hWrEiDAK04?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z302/DBagg6/th_RickyStanzi-Washington.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/image/ricky stanzi/DBagg6/RickyStanzi-Washington.jpg?o=29)

whoman69
03-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Cassel = known fail

Why are we even debating this again?

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Cassel = known fail

Why are we even debating this again?

Nobody is debating that Cassel sucks or not... This is simply a role call for CPers who are hopping on The Stanzi Wagon.

Jawshco
03-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I have no idea what we have in Stanzi. I don't want to get my hopes about him. I remember what happened when we had a certain QB that had "potential" and everyone got their hopes up. You know the one I mean right? Ted White!! I thought he and Kirby Dar Dar were going to be the one-two punch that put the Chiefs in the Super Bowl... well... look how that turned out. So call me jaded, but I'll wait and see what Stanzi does when he actually plays a real NFL game before I form an opinion.

KC Tattoo
03-14-2012, 10:52 PM
IMO, if he came out this year he would have been the 3rd best prospect out of the draft. Meow that is more of a knock on the players after the top two than it is saying how good Stanzi is, but he got thrown in a deep draft class last year too. So who knows? They are hit or miss most of the time so taking a gamble on him is only a big reward if he is successful. We can look to next years draft and still be better off than if we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with retread backup QBs. It's a win win if we go with Stanzi, if he is successful great, if not fire Pioli and draft us a real QB.

Let's go Stanzi. Am rooting for him to be the guy this year & he will be fun to watch.

Cephalic Trauma
03-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I have no idea what we have in Stanzi. I don't want to get my hopes about him. I remember what happened when we had a certain QB that had "potential" and everyone got their hopes up. You know the one I mean right? Ted White!! I thought he and Kirby Dar Dar were going to be the one-two punch that put the Chiefs in the Super Bowl... well... look how that turned out. So call me jaded, but I'll wait and see what Stanzi does when he actually plays a real NFL game before I form an opinion.

:spock: Look at the alternative. I don't have a problem with being cautious, but the only other QB on the roster is the abomination himself.

KC Tattoo
03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Exactly... Bo's Pelini really didn't think his argument through.

Um Simplicity, you may just go ahead and post something. Your on an omen number.

Great thread btw :thumb:

Simplicity
03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Um Simplicity, you may just go ahead and post something. Your on an omen number.

Great thread btw :thumb:

OMG... You were right! And thanks.:thumb:

Tribal Warfare
03-14-2012, 11:02 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4x2UUWgv1NQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr_Tomahawk
03-14-2012, 11:06 PM
^^Nice^^

He has a better arm than I thought he did originally...

TrebMaxx
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I really don't know what we have with Stanzi, but I don't really care at this point. I have seen enough of Cassel to know I don't want to see him in a Chiefs uniform ever again. I would rather Stanzi be given a chance if the FO can't bring in another QB which it looks like they can't. Cassel needs to be sent packing.

Bump
03-14-2012, 11:12 PM
yup, start him up and see what's he got. cause we all know enough about cassel, nowutimsayin?

SNR
03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
To the haters who say, "BUT HE DIDN'T EVEN BEAT OUT PALKO LAST YEAR LOLZ":

Do you see those gifs posted by GoChiefs? See how he had LESS THAN ONE FUCKING SECOND to gather the snap before he was almost gobbled up by a defender? Then do you see how he courageously avoided the pressure, kept his cool, and continued the play?

Now ask yourself when the last time you saw a Chiefs QB do that. For me, I have to go all the way back to 2005 with Trent Green, who did it by tricking the defender with his speed. Blitzers would say, "Okay, I've got him. He'll try to move this way and I'll be right there." And that's what Green did, but he did it so slow that it caught would-be tacklers by surprise.

That's what Stanzi does. Except he does it with awesomeness instead of slowness.

KC Tattoo
03-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Stanzi didn't get to play the last game of preseason. He never had the opportunity because Haley was a dick to him.

BigChiefFan
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4x2UUWgv1NQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That song is like nails on a chalkboard.

Phobia
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
To be fair, I've seen whatshisname... Castle, elude defenders at least twice. The defenders was closing in for the crushing blow and Castle moved... which completely surprised the defense. He's not known for moving so at least he gets some credit for earning 4 or 5 million with those two "jukes".

Tribal Warfare
03-14-2012, 11:32 PM
That song is like nails on a chalkboard.

which adds to the awesomeness of STANZImania , because what are you going to do brother when the Stanster comes after you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BossChief
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
I've said this before, but the moment that sold me on Stanzi was his fire in his first year starting.

I think it was against Indiana.

He threw an early pick and they scored...we fumbled and they scored off the ensuing possession....it was a bad game and we were down like 3 scores with about 10 minutes to go.

Stanzi threw 4 touchdowns to win the game.

The guy played for Iowa and didn't have to throw the team on his back much, but when they did...he responded. He wasn't ever a big yardage passer because the team was always dedicated to the run and a balanced attack.

Ask anyone who watched all three years of him starting. They will tell you that if he does have a weakness, it's having a little too much Favre in him...not Cassel.

scott free
03-14-2012, 11:41 PM
He really does have a smooth, natural dropback & delivery, looks very fluid stepping into his throws, not a cannon, but a really nice whip.

philfree
03-14-2012, 11:54 PM
And I see a certain intensity in his eyes!

R
O
C
K

In the USA!

Wallcrawler
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Stanzi will overthrow 7 this year and start if there's no other QB brought in.

If the team had to rely on strictly passing game to catch up and win a game, 7 is not capable of doing that. Bubble screens and 3 yard slants, combined with checkdowns to the backs do not gain enough yardage to mount a comeback.

At least Stanzi has the arm to give us a fighting chance and doesnt shit himself at the first sign that a defender might make contact with him.

J Diddy
03-15-2012, 01:31 AM
To be fair, I've seen whatshisname... Castle, elude defenders at least twice. The defenders was closing in for the crushing blow and Castle moved... which completely surprised the defense. He's not known for moving so at least he gets some credit for earning 4 or 5 million with those two "jukes".

Drew Carey: *wobbles the mic stand* Bernie Kosar scrambling. "He's at the 31, the 32 ..."
or,
This is my impression of Bernie Kosar. *knocks over mic stand*

BryanBusby
03-15-2012, 01:34 AM
For the love of god, lets put the "OMFG HE DIDN'T BEAT OUT TYLER PALKO" thing to bed already. Todd Haley started Palko over fucking Orton when it was obvious Palko was dog shit.

A lot of rookie QBs looked like shit, even Newton at times. Did we already forget the whole "Hey welcome to the NFL kid, you're now locked out bitch" thing?

Phobia
03-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Todd Haley started Palko over ****ing Orton when it was obvious Palko was dog shit.

That's a little misleading. Orton got into KC on a Friday. You really wanted him to start Sunday?

KILLER_CLOWN
03-15-2012, 01:43 AM
That's a little misleading. Orton got into KC on a Friday. You really wanted him to start Sunday?

Hindsight proves we would have preferred Ortons Dog over Falco.

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 01:43 AM

Haley knew stanzi was better. But he could not have the chiefs win. You know what the plan was man.

Phobia
03-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Hindsight proves we would have preferred Ortons Dog over Falco.

You wanted him to go out and chuck & duck with no practice? No terminology? No timing? That works for the sandlot. Not the NFL.

PornChief
03-15-2012, 01:58 AM
They only show 4 or 5 NFL games a week down here, and I guess i was lucky they showed 5 Chiefs games last season, up from 1 the season before. One of those games was that preseason game vs the rams and it looked to me Stanzi played better than the other clowns. Thing I recall is he had to scramble for his life most snaps cause the O line had holes wider than a gay man's arse and he still got the ball away or at least made some effort. I will never understand why Haley didn't shoot Palko after his 2nd start and at least give the kid a shot.
Another thing about the games I did see - every fucking down whoever was at QB seemed to have trouble understanding what the christ whoever was calling plays was saying, or was waiting for them to make up their minds.

BryanBusby
03-15-2012, 02:03 AM

9 times out of 10 I would say no. Over Tyler Palko? That's one of those times I'd say yes.

scott free
03-15-2012, 02:05 AM
You wanted him to go out and chuck & duck with no practice? No terminology? No timing? That works for the sandlot. Not the NFL.

Agreed, thats easily the most surprising thing about Orton... within a few short weeks, he was able to come in & FAR surpass entrenched Matt Cassel, atleast between the twenties, it really was night & day, in very short order.

Most of us know what he is & isnt, but he sure as hell outshined Cassel in a shocking amount of time.

At this point i truly dont care if he moves on, but he's definitely due some credit... he is a CLEAR CUT level above Cassel, imo.

He gave us a glimpse of what this O is capable of, even decimated as it was by Charles & Moeaki.

Tuckdaddy
03-15-2012, 05:27 AM
I hope Romey fights for this kid to play if we don't go in another direction with a vet.

scho63
03-15-2012, 06:34 AM
I want to see Cassel go down with a season ending injury on the first play of the first game ala Brady from Pollard.

Bring on Stanzi!!!

Dayze
03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
one thing Stanzi has over Cassel for sure is, the receiver doesn't need to have 5-7 yards separation from the defender to be open.

several throws in that 5min video where there's no way Cassel would even throw it; he would go immediately to the checkdown. And, he can throw on the move, unlike Cassel.

Dave Lane
03-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Yes

Graystoke
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Stanzi throws to many Interceptions. He has good footwork but man he is hot then cold.
Who can forget the 5 Int's he threw against Indiana? Yeah he made a comeback but you throw 5 against NFL...game over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWVtQKMpyk

KCUnited
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
I hope Romey fights for this kid to play if we don't go in another direction with a vet.

I'm hoping Romeo keeps his mouth shut about Stanzi else he'll wind up taking a 3 year deal to be a back up for another team.

Dayze
03-15-2012, 07:33 AM
we should copmare highlight tapes of Stanzi and Cassel in college.
...oh, wait.

durtyrute
03-15-2012, 07:35 AM
You don't sit a QB after one bad start. This isn't Madden.

Dayze
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM
You don't sit a QB after one bad start. This isn't Madden.

exactly, you sit him after 80 starts. / Pioli

the Talking Can
03-15-2012, 07:37 AM
i support starting stanzi

because it would ensure we're in position to draft a QB next year

durtyrute
03-15-2012, 07:37 AM
exactly, you sit him after 80 starts. / Pioli

:thumb:

Gonzo
03-15-2012, 08:14 AM

You think a good QB will fall to #32 in the 1st round?
We wouldn't need one anyway...
If Stanzi is in there we're SB champs, bitches.

Never, ever doubt the power of the backup, (except Palko and Cassel).

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Stanzi throws to many Interceptions. He has good footwork but man he is hot then cold.
Who can forget the 5 Int's he threw against Indiana? Yeah he made a comeback but you throw 5 against NFL...game over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWVtQKMpykStanzi has shown dramatic improvement throughout his college years. That was in his 2nd year as a starter.

Believe me, I don't even like the Hawkeyes. If you told me after that 2009 season that Stanzi would be a good pro QB I would have laughed. After 2010? My tune would change and I'd start to believe it.

L.A. Chieffan
03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
The most popular guy in town: The backup QB.

Frankie
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Same for Jerrell Powe. Was bullcrap that he didn't get any PT last year. He played 1 game I believe.

Yep. I totally agree. Powe played well too for a rookie in the preseason. Keep in mind these guys had no off season to somewhat acclimate to the NFL environment.

Or it's true that he is a vindictive soul in a perpetual vicious circle.

Molitoth
03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
There are some great throws in that highlight video.

I wonder what Cassel's college highlight video consists of....
oh yeah...

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
The most popular guy in town: The backup QB.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/cassel-brady-wide.jpg

WOOOOOO!!! WE LOVE YOU, MATT!

FUCK YOU, BRADY!

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 09:25 AM
If things work out stanzi would beat out cassel this year.

L.A. Chieffan
03-15-2012, 09:25 AM

FUCK YOU, BRADY!

Brady loved Cassel. They were BFF

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 09:26 AM

**** YOU, BRADY!

Well lets throw him back to them. lol

Dave Lane
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
He was Just giving the f you to Pioli. Saved us 10-12 draft pick slots as we would have been smoked in the playoffs anyway.

FYP

Frankie
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow I don't agree with either. I love all white on the road. I am also not for all "team" color. The Texans all reds and Cardinals all reads are just obnoxious.I hate the white on whit. Too generic. the red pants on the road make the unis more dynamic. Psychologically they also compete nicely with the home uniform of the opponent. But I also agree with you on the red on red. It would look terrible.

I am all for giving Stanzi this season if its between him and Cassel. I still think we need to do all we can to get another QB talent in here. I don't want to just assume Stanzi has it. Lets put him up against whatever else we can get and see who is better. If they are both great, well I don't even think that can happen in KC. If people want to draft a QB in 2013, even more reason to let Stanzi start day 1 over Cassel.
I have been somewhat on the Tannehill Bandwagon. But with the caveat of a trade down scenario. However with the Peyton fiasco unfolding I'm warming up to getting him at 11. With our fingers tightly crossed of course.

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Stanzi didn't get to play the last game of preseason. He never had the opportunity because Haley was a dick to him.

Your exactly right.

Frankie
03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
[quote=Bo's Pelini;8455122]Anyone who watched the Chiefs preseason when Stanzi got the chance to play with the 2nd string could easily see that Stanzi was superior to Palko AND CASSEL, and it wasn't even close.
FYP

Because you touch yourself.Quit peaking through his window you perv. :p

According to Gabe Miller earlier tonight on twitter. This is an photograph from inside Ricky Stanzi's dryer. No joke.

https://p.twimg.com/An_deBPCEAI6q8P.jpg

Love it.Don't love it untill you find out how hot he sets the dryer temp. ;)

I'm all for it, I think he has the talent and would put in the work, he showed great flashes in preseason, but they were against 3rd stringers.Doesn't matter. He was playing WITH 3rd stringers too.

PhillyChiefFan
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I blame Bernard Pollard for the predicament we are in

If not for him, Cassel would have stayed Brady's backup but NOOOO

:D

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 09:51 AM

You think he's worse than Cassel?

Frankie
03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
IMO, if he came out this year he would have been the 3rd best prospect out of the draft. Meow that is more of a knock on the players after the top two than it is saying how good Stanzi is, but he got thrown in a deep draft class last year too. So who knows? They are hit or miss most of the time so taking a gamble on him is only a big reward if he is successful. We can look to next years draft and still be better off than if we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with retread backup QBs. It's a win win if we go with Stanzi, if he is successful great, if not fire Pioli and draft us a real QB. Your theory has a big flaw. Pioli himself has to make those decisions.

Stanzi will overthrow 7 this year and start if there's no other QB brought in.
You confused me with "overthrow." It took half of the post for me to realize you meant "outthrow." I'm not an English language police though. ;)

**** YOU, BRADY!Matty seems to have small hands. Coul that be oart of his accuracy problems?

buddha
03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
One nice throw by Stanzi in a preseason game doesn't erase the other terrible moments he has had. Unless he has improved a lot over the past year, he is nowhere near being ready to start in the NFL.

Iowa guys, I get that you want your boy to do well. However, it's a long shot at best that Stanzi ever becomes a starting QB. I think he has the physical tools to do it, but I don't think he sees the field well enough.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
One nice throw by Stanzi in a preseason game doesn't erase the other terrible moments he has had. Unless he has improved a lot over the past year, he is nowhere near being ready to start in the NFL.

Iowa guys, I get that you want your boy to do well. However, it's a long shot at best that Stanzi ever becomes a starting QB. I think he has the physical tools to do it, but I don't think he sees the field well enough.

What terrible moments has he had in the NFL, exactly?

I'd be interested to know your answer since he's had NO MOMENTS period, so it's impossible for him to have terrible moments.

tymania
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Ricky's vision on a throw anywhere on the field > Matt Cassel's vision for a screen pass, let alone a 10-20yd pass

Frankie
03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
What terrible moments has he had in the NFL, exactly?

I'd be interested to know your answer since he's had NO MOMENTS period, so it's impossible for him to have terrible moments.

This. + I wish some posters would put to rest this idea that wanting Stanzi to play is an Iowa fan phenomenon. I'm a Cyclone fan and by extension could be described as a Hawkeye hater. But I sure as hell want this kid to be given a fair chance to show what he's got. Yes he has had s history of occasional bonehead plays. But;

1- His bonehead plays decreased every year.
2- He has shown that his mistakes do not rattle him. That's a great great trait in a QB.

SNR
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Did you watch any of his games in 2010?

He was a completely different QB that year.

Again, I don't give a shit about a lot of things a QB does. What I DO care about is improvement. Stanzi should tremendous improvement from year to year. It means he learns from his mistakes, and he'll get better.

The future for him in the NFL is bright. He'll have a long career, even if it's only as a backup.

For us, we'd be stupid not to at least see what we really have in him. He might be a lot more than a backup, and if we let him rot behind dufuses like Cassel the entire time, we may very well regret it.

tymania
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Did you watch any of his games in 2010?

He was a completely different QB that year.

THIS! and IMO he has that 'IT' factor... he fights and fights until he has nothing left.. Have we ever seen Matt Cassel fight to win a game? very rarely if at all..

Pestilence
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Were these "moments" when he was in a preseason game behind the third string offensive line?

Phobia
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM

I'm an Iowa boy but it's not like that for me. I'm not some idiot kid blind homer. I just want a QB for the Chiefs. That one of our potential diamonds in the rough played at Iowa is just a small bonus. It doesn't matter to me where he's from just as long as he's given a fair opportunity to prove he either has it or does not have it.

Pestilence
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I've said this before, but the moment that sold me on Stanzi was his fire in his first year starting.

I think it was against Indiana.

He threw an early pick and they scored...we fumbled and they scored off the ensuing possession....it was a bad game and we were down like 3 scores with about 10 minutes to go.

Stanzi threw 4 touchdowns to win the game.

The guy played for Iowa and didn't have to throw the team on his back much, but when they did...he responded. He wasn't ever a big yardage passer because the team was always dedicated to the run and a balanced attack.

Ask anyone who watched all three years of him starting. They will tell you that if he does have a weakness, it's having a little too much Favre in him...not Cassel.

This game?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DgWVtQKMpyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coogs
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Actually, in preseason he had more than one good throw. And he really showed some pretty fine pocket awareness. Does he have room to grow? Without a doubt! But he did show quite a bit on the positive side when given the chance.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm an Iowa boy but it's not like that for me. I'm not some idiot kid blind homer. I just want a QB for the Chiefs. That one of our potential diamonds in the rough played at Iowa is just a small bonus. It doesn't matter to me where he's from just as long as he's given a fair opportunity to prove he either has it or does not have it.

:clap:

whoman69
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Scott Pioli has stacked the deck in favor of Cassel. He has failed to sign any of the 4 players out there who would have had a chance to beat out Cassel. We'll end up with someone like Derek Anderson. Stanzi is our only hope. Wouldn't it be great if RC threw a curve and stated that Stanzi was his QB?

Pestilence
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Scott Pioli has stacked the deck in favor of Cassel. He has failed to sign any of the 4 players out there who would have had a chance to beat out Cassel. We'll end up with someone like Derek Anderson. Stanzi is our only hope. Wouldn't it be great if RC threw a curve and stated that Stanzi was his QB?

Derek Anderson re-signed with Carolina.

Shox
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm officially on the Stanzi bankwagan. Not saying he IS the future, but I would like to find out.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Derek Anderson re-signed with Carolina.

Dammit Pioli!!!

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I might be on board for Stanzi 2013. But I expect it would more likely be Stanzi 2014.

Frankie
03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
I might be on board for Stanzi 2013. But I expect it would more likely be Stanzi 2014.

For that we should have (A) kept Orton, and (B) made sure that Stanzi sees the field some during 2012.

Extra Point
03-15-2012, 01:30 PM
IN!

the Talking Can
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
You think he's worse than Cassel?

i don't think anything about him...he's a 5th round pick who hasn't thrown a pass in the nfl

HemiEd
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
If we don't bring in anyone for "competition" then Stanzi better be the starter in game one. I don't ever want to see Cassel behind center again.

I have felt that way for 2 1/2 seasons, but it hasn't mattered.

whoman69
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
i don't think anything about him...he's a 5th round pick who hasn't thrown a pass in the nfl

I'll go with the unproven over the proven failure.

Phobia
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM

I would submit that those who watched him for 3 years know *something* about him. Whether that translates to the NFL is another question - a question lots of people would like to have answered this year. We know the answer to Cassel, no?

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
For that we should have (A) kept Orton, and (B) made sure that Stanzi sees the field some during 2012.I don't particularly want to see Stanzi on the field now. I believe he's a long-term project. I think the "throw him into the fire" mentality has probably derailed if not outright killed more careers in the NFL than it's helped.

tooge
03-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I would submit that those who watched him for 3 years know *something* about him. Whether that translates to the NFL is another question - a question lots of people would like to have answered this year. We know the answer to Cassel, no?

This is what I don't get. So he's a 5th rounder. He looks like he has the tools and easily passes the eye test. Everyone knows what Cassel is, it's not like hes 24yo. It is glaringly obvious that the reason Stanzi never got a sniff is that Pioli knows it would have created a controversy with "his" guy.

HemiEd
03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
This is what I don't get. So he's a 5th rounder. He looks like he has the tools and easily passes the eye test. Everyone knows what Cassel is, it's not like hes 24yo. It is glaringly obvious that the reason Stanzi never got a sniff is that Pioli knows it would have created a controversy with "his" guy.

I don't believe that anymore after the Palko thing. I am convinced it was Haley that wouldn't play him last year, but might be wrong. Hopefully he has bulked up a little, and still has his confidence.

SNR
03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't particularly want to see Stanzi on the field now. I believe he's a long-term project. I think the "throw him into the fire" mentality has probably derailed if not outright killed more careers in the NFL than it's helped.One year on the bench plus a full offseason with the playbook does wonders for young QBs, usually. If Stanzi isn't ready to learn by playing in a few games this year, I don't know if he ever will. He's not exactly Matt Cassel who hadn't started a game since high school or a guy like Graham Harrell for the Packers, who needed to work on damn near every single part of his game, constantly retooling his footwork, shoulder throws, and just taking snaps from under center.

People forget that Stanzi's upside over other late round prospects in last year's draft was his "NFL-readiness". Theoretically, he had the most experience, came from a pro system, and generally didn't have THAT much work to do with coaches regarding his technique.

Extra Point
03-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Stanzi just needs to be take care of himself. He has no control over FA and draft. Cassel will get competition; Crennell will keep this thing honest.

rico
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
The good thing about Stanzi in terms of Cassel being dethroned is that I would assume that Stanzi is just as much "Pioli's guy" as much as Cassel is considering he drafted him. If Stanzi starts and succeeds, Pioli looks like a genius given what round Stanzi was selected in. If it will be anyone who puts an end to the Cassel era, it will be Stanzi or a potential future draft pick because if it is one thing that is blatantly obvious about Pioli at this point, he seems stubborn and unwilling to admit to his own mistakes.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM

:clap:

Mi_chief_fan
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I was listening to a Michigan game on the radio last fall, somebody threw a pick-6 and the announcer called it a "Stanzi ball."

Didn't watch him a lot in college, but that seems to be something he was known for at Iowa.

SNR
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
I was listening to a Michigan game on the radio last fall, somebody threw a pick-6 and the announcer called it a "Stanzi ball."

Didn't watch him a lot in college, but that seems to be something he was known for at Iowa.Matt Ryan was known for his INTs at Boston College.

I hate Matt Ryan as a pro. I think he's garbage. But would I take him over Cassel?

Uhh... is that a question?

Frankie
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't particularly want to see Stanzi on the field now. I believe he's a long-term project. I think the "throw him into the fire" mentality has probably derailed if not outright killed more careers in the NFL than it's helped.

That is why my condition (A) was keeping Orton.

the Talking Can
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

yeah, um, I'm 'pro' starting him...

that's why I wrote:

"I support starting Stanzi"

Frankie
03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
The good thing about Stanzi in terms of Cassel being dethroned is that I would assume that Stanzi is just as much "Pioli's guy" as much as Cassel is considering he drafted him. If Stanzi starts and succeeds, Pioli looks like a genius given what round Stanzi was selected in. If it will be anyone who puts an end to the Cassel era, it will be Stanzi or a potential future draft pick because if it is one thing that is blatantly obvious about Pioli at this point, he seems stubborn and unwilling to admit to his own mistakes.

That last part is exactly what dives this circus wagon. They are both technically Pioli guys, but Cassel is far more so because Pioli gave up a 2nd rounder and a lot of Clark's money for him. Drafting Stanzi, as far as Pioli is concerned, could have been a favor to his friend Ferentz.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Close
As @MikeKlis reported, Broncos free-agent QB Brady Quinn to scheduled to visit the Jets on Friday.

Pestilence
03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Close
As @MikeKlis reported, Broncos free-agent QB Brady Quinn to scheduled to visit the Jets on Friday.

DAMNT PIOLI!!!!

We're losing out on all of the good QBs.

Mi_chief_fan
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Matt Ryan was known for his INTs at Boston College.

I hate Matt Ryan as a pro. I think he's garbage. But would I take him over Cassel?

Uhh... is that a question?

Agreed. Didn't watch much of Ryan at BC either, but I've never heard the term "Ryan-ball."

Mr_Tomahawk
03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Those who watched ALOT of Stanzi...

Who would you compare him to in the NFL?

How is his deep ball?

How is he at reading defenses?

Eh...How is he at everything that Cassel is bad at? :p

SNR
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM

How is his deep ball?

Peyton Manning

whoman69
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Didn't watch him a lot in college, but that seems to be something he was known for at Iowa.

He had real problems with that his junior year. His senior year he worked on that and his TD/INT ratio was 25/6

Exoter175
03-15-2012, 03:29 PM

How is his deep ball?

In all honesty its hard to say. His deep ball is great. That whole "Stanzi ball" talk comes from his earlier career at Iowa when he'd try to force a deep ball into double coverage. Towards the tail end of '09 and all of '10 he pretty much cut that tendency out of his repertoire.

In all honesty he really reminds me of a smaller roethlisberger. He can throw the deep ball, escape a pass rush pretty well (polar opposite of Croyle lol), and he can read coverage alright. At the end of the day he's a gamer and during the '09 season the phrase "4th quarter Stanzi" became a pretty common phrase as he'd often lead the Hawkeyes to a comeback victory and his 4th quarter passer rating at Iowa for his career was absolutely incredible.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
In all honesty its hard to say. His deep ball is great. That whole "Stanzi ball" talk comes from his earlier career at Iowa when he'd try to force a deep ball into double coverage. Towards the tail end of '09 and all of '10 he pretty much cut that tendency out of his repertoire.

In all honesty he really reminds me of a smaller roethlisberger. He can throw the deep ball, escape a pass rush pretty well (polar opposite of Croyle lol), and he can read coverage alright. At the end of the day he's a gamer and during the '09 season the phrase "4th quarter Stanzi" became a pretty common phrase as he'd often lead the Hawkeyes to a comeback victory and his 4th quarter passer rating at Iowa for his career was absolutely incredible.

Nice.

I am starting to buy in more.

So the guy has the ability to put the ball anywhere he wants with some zip?

I am just starved for a QB with an arm. I am not looking for a Cutler-like arm...but someone who has no problem getting the ball down the field.

qabbaan
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Not optimistic about him, but he may have our savior's Anybody But Cassel mantle this year so I won't bash

Frankie
03-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Rapistberger (relies on his size and) holds on to the ball too long. I don't think Stanzi does that.

SNR
03-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Just say Tom Brady, people. Draft analysts did. Mel Kiper did. You can too.

Exoter175
03-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Nice.

I am starting to buy in more.

So the guy has the ability to put the ball anywhere he wants with some zip?

I am just starved for a QB with an arm. I am not looking for a Cutler-like arm...but someone who has no problem getting the ball down the field.

He's got quite the ZIP, I wouldn't say he's got incredible accuracy, but he can put the ball within reach of any receiver at any point on the field really.

His worst trait has to be his presnap reads which is likely why he's still holding the clipboard. Granted he got relatively no time to get up to speed last year with the lockout.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
He's got quite the ZIP, I wouldn't say he's got incredible accuracy, but he can put the ball within reach of any receiver at any point on the field really.

His worst trait has to be his presnap reads which is likely why he's still holding the clipboard. Granted he got relatively no time to get up to speed last year with the lockout.

Ok.

I'm sold.

Start Stanzi 2012. :)

Exoter175
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Rapistberger (relies on his size and) holds on to the ball too long. I don't think Stanzi does that.

I'll agree with that, but overall Pro's vs. Cons, I'd have to relate him to a Roethlisberger in terms of arm strength and his ability to keep a play alive.

Though, there were times in the 2010 season that Stanzi did hold onto the ball a little too long and made a couple poor choices in throws.

Exoter175
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Ok.

I'm sold.

Start Stanzi 2012. :)

If I remember correctly in 2010 vs. Indiana they were down by a few scores with very little time left and managed to go 70-80 yards in something like 20 seconds with 2 or 3 absolutely beautiful passes from Stanzi to DJK or McNutt. Both of which are pretty fast guys and he RARELY ever underthrew them.

What you'll notice if you watch his game film, is that he gets pretty stubborn on his presnap reads and has a slight tendency to lock onto that receiver. He did it in '09 against Michigan State in a late comeback, luckily it worked.

suds79
03-15-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm in to. What the he!!. Can't stand another minute of Cassel.

Gimme Stanzi.

Exoter175
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
This is probably the best video I can find that accurately shows his biggest weakness, his biggest strengths, and the other traits I've spoke of.

http://youtu.be/cihs7CUrv_U

That or the Indiana game which I haven't been able to find complete highlights of.

That video also has a few Kirk Cousins highlights as well.

Messier
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm assuming since Pioli said there will be competition at QB, and clearly the only QBs on the team are Stanzi and Cassel, that Stanzi will be given a chance to start. Right? It's what Pioli said. He wouldn't lie would he?

Exoter175
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I sure as shit hope Stanzi gets his chance to start. When haley got fired, Romeo seemed adamant about Stanzi being the #2 guy instead of Palko, and then the whole Orton thing happened and he never got his chance.

Mi_chief_fan
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
He had real problems with that his junior year. His senior year he worked on that and his TD/INT ratio was 25/6

Nice. Ok, you've convinced me, Stanzi fans. I'm on the wagon.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Stanzi, Stanzi, Stanzi!!!

Dave Lane
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Posted this before its good...

http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Pl..._2-23-2011.htm

NFL DRAFT 2011 - QB
By R.C. Fischer

NFL Draft 2011: Statistical Analysis of Ricky Stanzi, the Best QB in the 2011 NFL Draft and/or the next Tom Brady?

*An on-going series of putting college QBs in our mathematical analysis. We don’t have all the needed data until the 2011 NFL Combine results, but we can assume some of it (for now) and we have all the game performance/statistics.

See this link for details on the College QB rating system -- Predicting the Unpredictable…Projecting a College QB to the NFL with a Mathematical Formula

Ricky Stanzi, Iowa - NFL Draft 2011

I know you are going to find this completely insane...

New readers, I may have already lost you with the title...but bear with me on this. At worst, this will just be an interesting read and something you will say "no way" to. At best, this will be a tremendous call and huge validation for our mathematical model's ability to project college QBs to the NFL. (I also have a few years to hide from it potentially too!)

I have to confess I did not watch many Iowa Hawkeye football games this season. As the college QBs start their journey to the NFL, I get more interested for the Fantasy Football aspect. This season, I was aware of the usual "big names" -- Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Mallett and had been intrigued by Andy Dalton...but I have to say when I saw Ricky Stanzi's name on a list -- I wondered, "how did he make it in the QBs list for the 2011 NFL Draft"? Don't ask me why I had that reaction, I just know I did. Big-10 bias (against), maybe? Flashbacks to Chuck Long, perhaps? Whatever the reason, I just had an irrational gut reaction. Which is why I love what I do, I try to eliminate the emotional and just rely on the data. Not knowing Stanzi, I was curious as how the analysis would turn out.

As I input the key game/tougher opponent game data for Ricky Stanzi into our algorithm for analyzing college QBs, I just kept saying "that's pretty good" after each game entered...and it just kept rolling. Before I went to take a look at Stanzi's overall total score in our system I thought, "this could be pretty good". When I did finally look at the overall rating, it wasn't good -- it was great. It was college-to-NFL projected "elite". High up on the list wedged in-between Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez, and slightly above Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers. I had to go back check a 2nd and 3rd time to see if I had made an error. No error...

Can Ricky Stanzi really be a future elite NFL QB? Can he really be the # 1 overall best QB (according to our system right now)? Right now he is for us. A lot of this potential stardom projection is riding on his Wonderlic scores from the NFL Combine, a bad score can tumble Stanzi right out of great and into maybe good or mediocre. Assuming an average/good Wonderlic score, Ricky Stanzi is the hidden gem QB of 2011.

What about Stanzi makes him pop in our system?

NO Red-flags in our system!

We found multiple things that future NFL elite QB's had in common in college. Subsequently, we found things future NFL bust/weak QB's had in common as well -- we called them, simply, "red-flag metrics". Some red-flags for the QBs are historical killers (90%+ probable), such as -- QB's with low Wonderlic scores, "short" (in height) QB's, high or low ratios on key advanced metrics we have on various passing stats. Just one red-flag is one foot in the grave for their future NFL elite prospects, 2 red-flags is almost an assured question mark on even being good in the NFL, 3+ red-flags is almost guaranteed a bust in our system (3+ red-flag QB examples in our system = Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Chad Henne, Max Hall, Rex Grossman, Derek Anderson and Tavaris Jackson...among others. Jay Cutler is the probably the best NFL QB with 3+ red-flags in our system).

No red-flags is just not avoiding trouble, it is several key metrics that when we look back at history -- the QBs with particular red-flags in our system were not as good as hyped and/or "busted" from lofty expectations. Perhaps a list of current QBs in our mathematical system that have NO red-flags, will impress you on the fact that Ricky Stanzi could be special.

The 14 QBs with no red-flags of 60+ studied in the last decade (and a few outside of the last decade) *in alphabetical order:

Bradford, Sam
Brady, Tom
Elway, John (sketchy, we have yet to be able fully break him down due to some missing data...but of what we have, he has none)
Flacco, Joe
Kolb, Kevin
Leftwich, Byron
Luck, Andrew
Manning, Peyton
Palmer, Carson
Pike, Tony (may not belong here, we have a sketchy Wonderlic data point we have assumed neutral until we know...but if bad, he would fall off list)
Pennington, Chad
Rodgers, Aaron
Roethlisberger, Ben
Sanchez, Mark
14 QBs with no red-flags. Take away Andrew Luck because he is not even draft eligible. Take away John Elway and Tony Pike, because of some possible data question marks on our end and we have 11 QB's who have played in the NFL -- with 9 of the 11 (82%) as good, great and good/potentially great on this list. The 2 misses in our system so far are (1) Byron Leftwich is not elite, maybe not even good. (2) Kevin Kolb is incomplete (however, I think he will ultimately be star of this magnitude...those of you that have been with the site awhile know my Kolb love affair). If Kolb hits, then our NO red-flag indicator for future success would be up to a 91% accuracy of predicting NFL good/greatness.

It's a laundry list of mostly impressive QBs. Now add to that list Ricky Stanzi, the only 2011 QB prospect with no red-flags in our system currently. (Andrew Luck would have been too). I'm as shocked as you are...Ricky Stanzi, really?

Great against better competition

Stanzi had 3 major tests in conference in 2010, a Big-10 Conference in which Stanzi has started for 3 seasons...and these teams have a book on him. Facing Wisconsin (11-2), Michigan State (11-2) and Ohio State (12-1), Stanzi put up the following stats:

7 Passing TDs and NO Interceptions

The elite QBs of the NFL threw for between 15-19 Pass Attempts per Passing TD in "key" games, and some QBs hit as low (good) as 10-12 Pass Attempts per Passing TD. Stanzi averaged a very low (good) 11.9 Passing TDs per Pass Attempts in these 3 big matchups

Besides a stellar/perfect NO interceptions in these big 3 games, Stanzi hit on a 67.4% Completion Percentage as well

Iowa/Stanzi played the Arizona Wildcats this season, coached by defensive guru Mike Stoops. Stoops/Arizona only allowed two QBs to throw for 3+ TDs in a game against them this season -- not Andrew Luck (he had 2), but it was Oregon's Darron Thomas and yes...Ricky Stanzi.

Better than Gabbert in the 2010 Bowl Game vs. Missouri?

This may be crazy talk too, but hang with me...

Stanzi statistically bombed in one game in 2010 -- the Insight Bowl Game matchup against Missouri. Stanzi had no TDs and 2 INTs. Stanzi's only 2 INT game of the season. In that game Blaine Gabbert had 434 yards passing and won the hearts of everyone who just watched the game from a stat tally perspective. But was Gabbert really the better QB that day?

434 yards for Gabbert is awesome, but it was on 57 Pass Attempts. Stanzi only had 21 pass attempts in this game, in part because Iowa RB Marcus Coker had 33 carries for 219 yards. Why pass if you can run all over Mizzu, and win (which Iowa did)? Looking at the passing productivity by breaking it down to the view from the per passing attempts...a quick look at Gabbert vs. Stanzi in the Bowl Game from a different perspective:

Yards per Pass Attempt = 7.6 for Gabbert, 9.5 for Stanzi

Yards per Completion = 10.6 for Gabbert, 18.2 for Stanzi

If both QBs equally had 35 pass attempts at their above pace, Gabbert would have thrown for 266 yards to Stanzi's 332.

Not to say Stanzi had a great game...because it was his worst game of 2010. It's to point out that looking only at the totals -- Stanzi vs. Gabbert total stats in this game would have made Stanzi forgettable and Gabbert brilliant, but it really had to do more with Pass Attempt totals. Stanzi wasn't as bad as it seemed, and Gabbert wasn't near as impressive as his 434 yards would show. Gabbert also threw 2 INTs as well in this game (like Stanzi), and 1 TD.

Ricky Stanzi as the next Tom Brady?

Blasphemy I know...

Please keep in mind, I have no loyalty to the University of Iowa. I had seen Ricky Stanzi play a little before I started this research. Of what I remember, I didn't really remember anything great (or bad). Stanzi never registered anything in my mind. This statement comparing him to Brady is just as crazy to me as it is to you. However, I am now suddenly very intrigued (and hand-cuffed) to Ricky Stanzi with this statement.

When I went into to see why Stanzi was so good in our ratings, it wasn't just one good thing (it never is to achieve the scores the future elites ultimately did). It's just that Stanzi is well above average in every metric we judge, with no red-flags or outliers. His numbers parallel nicely against the best of today's NFL QBs data in college. When I started filtering Stanzi's metrics in our system and considered similar QBs around his height and weight...out popped Tom Brady. What is eerie and cheesy about that is, when I started researching Stanzi more because of the high score that popped up in our system analysis -- I went and watched some game tape and when I looked at him I exclaimed, "he looks just like Tom Brady". Tall, thin, accurate, steady. When I then filtered our college QB database of metrics and Brady was sitting there as a best match, I was amazed and felt weird at the same time. It's cliché' to say "the next Tom Brady", but the numbers are saying -- Ricky Stanzi might be the next Tom Brady.

A few key metrics on Brady & Stanzi below:

"Adj" means just key games/better competition -- weighted for strength of opponent

"per 35 att" numbers are the key games, weighted for strength of opponent and then translated into an average as if every QB had an equal 35 Pass Attempts per game all the time, and thus what would each QB produce if they had 35 passes per game based on the key games their final college season.

QB Yr College H W adj Comp Pct Adj Yds per Comp adj Pass Att per TD adj Pass Att Per INT Yds per game 35 Att TDs per game 35 Att INTs per game 35 Att
Brady, Tom 1999 Michigan 76.3 211 64.6% 11.8 15.0 37.9 266.3 2.3 0.9
Stanzi, Ricky 2010 Iowa 76.1 221 63.6% 12.5 15.5 57.7 277.6 2.3 0.6
A respected scouting report on Brady in 2000 pre-draft (found on a Google search) = "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a strong arm."

A scouting report I just read on Stanzi = "Average arm, nothing spectacular about his throws...Not a great runner...Limited ceiling because of his average physical talents..."

Ricky Stanzi Overall Score = 1.012

*see historical rating chart on link to original study = Predicting the Unpredictable…Projecting a College QB to the NFL with a Mathematical Formula

As I re-examine the numbers, another thing that is rare on Stanzi is -- that as we refine the numbers to looking at just the better opponents, then adding in a weighted system to the most difficult opponents -- that is where Stanzi's passing metrics actually increase. Where most all other QBs in our mathematical system tail off a little (understandably with facing the toughest competition) as we "weight" the stats for opponents difficulty...Stanzi actually improves his performance against the better competition.

All this is great for Ricky Stanzi now, but we're still assuming some data. If Stanzi bombs or underperforms the Wonderlic...no more Tom Brady comparisons, and down he will fall from possible elite to possible just mediocre/good. If Stanzi scores well on the Wonderlic don't be shocked if Stanzi starts moving from a current potential 4-5th Round pick to a 2nd-3rd Round pick...and then don't be shocked if he actually becomes a first round actual selection...you heard it here first (again, unless he bombs the Wonderlic). If Stanzi doesn't work his way into the 1st Round -- I'll bet a "smart" team snags Stanzi (like a NE, PIT, PHI, SD, etc) in the 2nd-3rd Round.
's Reputation

Frankie
03-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Your link doesn't work.

whoman69
03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm assuming since Pioli said there will be competition at QB, and clearly the only QBs on the team are Stanzi and Cassel, that Stanzi will be given a chance to start. Right? It's what Pioli said. He wouldn't lie would he?

Sure he would.

The Dawg
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
No to Stanzi

Yes to a real NFL QB

whoman69
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
No to Stanzi

Yes to a real NFL QB

Any suggestions then sport?

O.city
03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Stanzi is gonna be Cassels competition this year.

And he is gonna win.

Strongside
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Stanzi is gonna be Cassels competition this year.

And he is gonna win.

If it were a true, uncontrolled competition...I think Stanzi wins this competition 100 out of 100 times.

SNR
03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
No to Stanzi

Yes to a real NFL QBhttp://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3033732_o.gif

Lonewolf Ed
03-15-2012, 06:08 PM

RICKY!

I watched Palko in the clip near the end, and he looks like he is thinking, "Hey, Ricky! Can you teach me to do that thing you just did there where the ball went all... I dunno, spirally... down the field?" Palko... :grr:

Mr_Tomahawk
03-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I've been wondering if we aren't beefing up our running game to give Stanzi a crutch during his first year as a starter.... I would be fine if this is Pioli's plan.

But...

It will probably be Matt's crutch during his 4th [puke] year of a starter.

O.city
03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Stanzi is gonna get a shot this year. Romeo will make sure of it.

DTLB58
03-15-2012, 06:37 PM

STANZI 2012

Super Mario might. We play Buffalo again I think.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I've been wondering if we aren't beefing up our running game to give Stanzi a crutch during his first year as a starter.... I would be fine if this is Pioli's plan.

But...

It will probably be Matt's crutch during his 4th [puke] year of a starter.

This.

O.city
03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Is there anyway Stanzi starts the year as the starter.

NJChiefsFan
03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Is there anyway Stanzi starts the year as the starter.

I don't see it. I guess the wildcard is Romeo. He has made some comments that we can hang a little hope on.

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM

But...

It will probably be Matt's crutch during his 4th [puke] year of a starter.If I had to guess I'd say it's about Cassel.

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
DAMNT PIOLI!!!!

We're losing out on all of the good QBs.And Brady Quinn.

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 07:07 PM
People forget that Stanzi's upside over other late round prospects in last year's draft was his "NFL-readiness". Theoretically, he had the most experience, came from a pro system, and generally didn't have THAT much work to do with coaches regarding his technique.Maybe I've slept a lot since then, but I could swear that I remember a lot of (pre-draft) talk about the reason he was going to go late was because he wasn't NFL ready, and that's why he ultimately fell. And I'd tend to agree with that logic after the fact. I think that if he had been considered NFL ready, he wouldn't have gone in the 5th at all; he would have gone in the 2nd, or the 3rd at the very latest.

Tombstone RJ
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3033732_o.gif

this cracks me up every time...

Chief3188
03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I live in New Orleans so I will be going to the Chiefs and Saints game this year. If we trot Cassel out onto the field that week I will be in the crowd with a sign that reads "Hey Vilma, I got 2 G's for you if you take Cassel out"

BIG K
03-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Maybe I've slept a lot since then, but I could swear that I remember a lot of (pre-draft) talk about the reason he was going to go late was because he wasn't NFL ready, and that's why he ultimately fell. And I'd tend to agree with that logic after the fact. I think that if he had been considered NFL ready, he wouldn't have gone in the 5th at all; he would have gone in the 2nd, or the 3rd at the very latest.

That may very well be a very good point and one that the FO is attaching themselves to. However that being said, given the circumstances, I would rather insert Stanzi into the starting lineup and give him a chance. He may prove to be capable or perhpas, he may fail. This is still a better situation than continuing with known failure at #7.....JMHO.......

O.city
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
If you aren't gonna ever give Stanzi a shot, what was the point of drafting him?

BIG K
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I live in New Orleans so I will be going to the Chiefs and Saints game this year. If we trot Cassel out onto the field that week I will be in the crowd with a sign that reads "Hey Vilma, I got 2 G's for you if you take Cassel out"

I will myself, kick in another 5g's for this. But, it has to be a career ending injury. Career ending as in a couple of #7's organs laying on the field, not the bs game ending injury......

BIG K
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
If you aren't gonna ever give Stanzi a shot, what was the point of drafting him?

Can you forward this post to kcchiefs.com please?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-15-2012, 08:09 PM
This could have been avoided if one of you high-rollers would have paid the surgeon to leave a roll of tape or something in his hand...

SNR
03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
He's the only guy who knows the 2nd verse to the Star Spangled Banner

BIG K
03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
This could have been avoided if one of you high-rollers would have paid the surgeon to leave a roll of tape or something in his hand...

Seriously? They could have left a brick in his hand and it still would not matter....:thumb:

prhom
03-15-2012, 08:43 PM

So the people critical of the Chiefs qb phobia would be placated for a few years?? Or we didn't want to pay for a veteran backup qb salary?

Terribilis
03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
.<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b8zO_DV09QE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 09:20 PM
If you aren't gonna ever give Stanzi a shot, what was the point of drafting him?Who's said anything about never giving him a shot. I'm all for giving him a shot when he's proven to the team that he's ready for that shot. I just don't see any real benefit to rushing it. Why throw a guy in there before he's ready. I'd rather give it more time because I think it would actually give him a greater chance at success.

And if the team thinks he's ready in 2012, I'm fine with that. I just don't expect that to be the case. That's what I'm saying. I'd be surprised if it happens. But I can live with pleasant surprises.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Awesome, more people to laugh at for years to come.

The only question is will the laughter be as good as it was when the same idiots were begging for croyle to start?

I'm gonna think positively and guess it will be even more rewarding.

Thank you, morons.

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:34 PM

The only question is will the laughter be as good as it was when the same idiots were begging for croyle to start?

Thank you, morons.Dude, if Croyle had never played a single NFL game while Cassel was sucking wastewater (yes, he still sucked wastewater in 2010) you might have a point. But Croyle had started several games prior to his San Diego fill-in abortion in 2010. People KNEW he had trouble and were still adamant about him starting.

We still don't know what Stanzi is. All we want is to fucking find out. Odds are he's a better quarterback than what we have now.

If you think that's idiocy, then I can't help you. You're beyond help.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:37 PM
. Odds are he's a better quarterback than what we have now.

False. The real odds , if you know anything about football, is that he will never be a 'starter' in the NFL, or start less than 16 games in his career. Be honest.

Simplicity
03-15-2012, 09:37 PM

Thank you, morons.

Just shut up... :spock:

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Just shut up... :spock:

Nah...I think i will continue to bash morons like you at every opportunity.

If cassel got ran over by a car and died , Stanzi still wouldnt start more than a couple games for the Chiefs, you fucking simpleton.

Simplicity
03-15-2012, 09:42 PM

If cassel got ran over by a car and died , Stanzi still wouldnt start more than a couple games for the Chiefs, you ****ing simpleton.

Have you watched Stanzi throw a football let alone step foot on a field?

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:42 PM
oh and also

http://www.solargeneral.com/images/humor/thread-sucks.gif

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:44 PM
False. The real odds , if you know anything about football, is that he will never be a 'starter' in the NFL, or start less than 16 games in his career. Be honest.Why? Because he was a 5th rounder?

Croyle never passed the eyeball test the way Stanzi has in training camp and preseason. He's also got so much going for him on his resume that it's really hard to make an argument against him apart from "He's a 5th rounder."

I will take the over 50% odds that Stanzi will wind up starting 16 games in the NFL in his career.

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:45 PM

If cassel got ran over by a car and died , Stanzi still wouldnt start more than a couple games for the Chiefs, you fucking simpleton.....

Okay, now you're just trolling. The only two QBs currently on the roster are Cassel and Stanzi, dude.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Hold on I need to get my son to show him what failures look like

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8958/threadgay1950sle7.jpg

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
To answer your next question:

I mad bro

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Okay, now you're just trolling. The only two QBs currently on the roster are Cassel and Stanzi, dude.

That doesnt negate what I am saying at all, and you know it....If we got stuck with Stanzi as our starter, we would 100% make a move and get someone else.

I believe you are wrong on your 50% of 5th roundrs play at least a full season as well, ill see if i can prove it in a few mins.

SNR
03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
That doesnt negate what I am saying at all, and you know it....If we got stuck with Stanzi as our starter, we would 100% make a move and get someone else.

I believe you are wrong on your 50% of 5th roundrs play at least a full season as well, ill see if i can prove it in a few mins.I'm not saying 50% of all 5th round QBs play 16 games. Other 5th rounders don't mean jack shit in this argument.

We're talking about Ricky Stanzi and Ricky Stanzi only.

Simplicity
03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Hold on I need to get my son to show him what failures look like

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8958/threadgay1950sle7.jpg

Ha... You are the only one saying this... Tool.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I will take the over 50% odds that Stanzi will wind up starting 16 games in the NFL in his career.

It isnt 50%.....the average 5th round draft pick doesnt even play 1 year as a starter...

Also, the odds of him making the pro bowl is practically zero.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3470996890_8c7c20b88d.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3587/3470996904_f2a721f264.jpg?v=0

I'm not trying to be a troll, in fact I would argue that given the facts..anyone who wants Stanzi to be the starter in '12 is the troll. All I am doing is trying to hammer some common sense into some morons.

SNR
03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Pawn, here's a question for you.

How many more games do you think TJ Yates will start in his NFL career? For any team.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Ha... You are the only one saying this... Tool.

I really don't care ...It isn't rocket science. Our team is not better with Stanzi at QB....Until that is the case , only a fool would wish for it. If the injuries are healed from last season we have a strong chance to win the division....Too bad we didn't get PHM or RG3 or someone, but you wont see my cry about it or give up the season or root for us to fail or hope that our QB gets injured...you know why? I'm not a faggot.

Simplicity
03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I really don't care ...It isn't rocket science. Our team is not better with Stanzi at QB....Until that is the case , only a fool would wish for it. If the injuries are healed from last season we have a strong chance to win the division....Too bad we didn't get PHM or RG3 or someone, but you wont see my cry about it or give up the season or root for us to fail or hope that our QB gets injured...you know why? I'm not a pillowbitergot.

You are still a pillowbiter for even bashing a kid who hasn't gotten to prove his worth...

SNR
03-15-2012, 10:05 PM
You are still a pillowbiter for even bashing a kid who hasn't gotten to prove his worth...Okay, once we get into the "Keep fucking doubting" line of reasoning, that's when credibility has been lost.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Pawn, here's a question for you.

How many more games do you think TJ Yates will start in his NFL career? For any team.

There are always exceptions, pointing to any one example (Brady /Montana) and trying to make generalizations is not smart. You have to look at everything based on the entire picture. Of course there will be exceptions, heck Stanzi COULD be one of them. All I am saying is that the ODDS say otherwise, unlike what others are suggesting...the REAL odds are not good for him. And, I hope he is a Brady or Manning. So do all of us, that doesnt mean we want to throw away a season onn that hope ( a very long shot).

NJChiefsFan
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
There are always exceptions, pointing to any one example (Brady /Montana) and trying to make generalizations is not smart. You have to look at everything based on the entire picture. Of course there will be exceptions, heck Stanzi COULD be one of them. All I am saying is that the ODDS say otherwise, unlike what others are suggesting...the REAL odds are not good for him. And, I hope he is a Brady or Manning. So do all of us, that doesnt mean we want to throw away a season onn that hope ( a very long shot).

I don't think anybody is asking it to be thrown away. Most would argue playing Cassel is throwing it away. Just give Stanzi a fair shake at beating Matt out. I agree that if Matt went down the Chiefs would go get somebody. They should.

The Chiefs should in NO way trust Stanzi enough to not get him competition. IF they got Manning you have to go get somebody eventually. That being said, watching Stanzi play, I think he has a chance. It would not shock me if Stanzi played well given a chance this year. His mechanics already look better than Matt's, althought that isn't saying much.

SNR
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Okay. Thanks for not answering the question.

My point is you're exactly right in this post: there ARE exceptions. Draft grade doesn't matter. If a guy can play, then he can play.

And I was probably too optimistic on my over 50% odds. If Bledsoe doesn't get injured, we might not have a Tom Brady career. The low round guys have it rough because nobody trusts them. The odds aren't in their favor. They may never see the field.

But that doesn't mean they can't play. I've watched plenty of Iowa games. I've seen what Stanzi did in preseason compared to the other two QBs. I like what I see. It looks really promising. Looking at his trend of improvement going all the way back to his first year starting in college, that line is still pointing up. All of his coaches speak flowingly of his leadership and work ethic. These are all good things. These are things nearly every fan looks for in their starting QB.

If Stanzi doesn't get a shot with us, that doesn't mean he can't play. He was one of the 99% of baby sea turtles that got eaten by a sea gull before he could reach the ocean. It happens all the time.

A good way to prevent that from happening is to see what we've got RIGHT NOW when we're horrifically weak at the position. There really is no better time. If we're going to find out if Stanzi's successful score on the eyeball test is for real, we need to start him soon, or we never will find out.

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
If Stanzi doesn't get a shot with us, that doesn't mean he can't play. He was one of the 99% of baby sea turtles that got eaten by a sea gull before he could reach the ocean. It happens all the time.

110% agree with this. Stanzi needs to either win the job outright in camp or if Cassel gets hurt, he needs to step in and make some shit happen.

Those are the only two ways he will not 'get eaten' by a gull. No one gives you anything in life , you have to take it. If he doesnt win the job in camp, then I'm not going to cry and live in some fantasy world where he is the next Brady just sitting on the bench for no reason. If he doesnt win the job, after how shitty Cassel played last season then it it no one's fault but his, he just might not be ready yet or never will.

But dont tell me we have to just hand him the job because we feel sorry for baby turtles. This is life, this is natural selection. This is how it works.

Phobia
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Maybe I've slept a lot since then, but I could swear that I remember a lot of (pre-draft) talk about the reason he was going to go late was because he wasn't NFL ready, and that's why he ultimately fell. And I'd tend to agree with that logic after the fact. I think that if he had been considered NFL ready, he wouldn't have gone in the 5th at all; he would have gone in the 2nd, or the 3rd at the very latest.

He was supposed to go in the 2nd or 3rd according to every mock in the world. The Chiefs took him in the 5th because they absolutely had to with him still on the board. Nobody knows why he fell. He graded out perfectly. I'm still not sure why he wasn't a 1st rounder. Because he is an Iowa product?

rico
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
And to think that Cassel, a 7th rounder, actually made the Pro-Bowl... In terms of talent (Cassel has none), Cassel makes the graph seem skewed in a direction that Stanzi fans, such as myself (I never enjoyed Iowa football more than when he was under center) don't want it to be.

Everything is always so circumstantial though. Pioli teams have shown a pattern of starting late draft QB's (Brady, Cassel). With that said, given his past decisions, I think Pioli will be more inclined to give a late round QB that he drafted a chance than other GM's may be, presumably with hopes that he has found another late round gem like he did with Brady, inevitably making him appear as a genius. I don't know how many QB's Pioli has drafted in his GM career with Chiefs/Pats, but well... on the bright side for Stanzi, he was drafted higher than 2 Pro Bowl QB's that Pioli selected, although 1 of these 2 is a jabronified choad while the other being one of the greatest of all time in terms of achievement.

Not to mention, Romeo has shown in the past with the Anderson vs. Quinn situation that he isn't afraid to ignite a QB competition. Stanzi may get a shot......

SNR
03-15-2012, 10:54 PM
110% agree with this. Stanzi needs to either win the job outright in camp or if Cassel gets hurt, he needs to step in and make some shit happen.

Those are the only two ways he will not 'get eaten' by a gull. No one gives you anything in life , you have to take it. If he doesnt win the job in camp, then I'm not going to cry and live in some fantasy world where he is the next Brady just sitting on the bench for no reason. If he doesnt win the job, after how shitty Cassel played last season then it it no one's fault but his, he just might not be ready yet or never will.

But dont tell me we have to just hand him the job because we feel sorry for baby turtles. This is life, this is natural selection. This is how it works.This is where GoChiefs needs to photoshop Scott Pioli's head onto the body of a sea gull. We've heard quotes from both Crennel and Pioli in the past month about there being absolutely no open competition at the QB position. Crennel in his opening press conference said, "We've won with Matt before." Pioli just a few weeks ago said, "Matt is the starter. There's no question."

And I know why. This is Crennel's last go as a head coach. It's a life long dream of his. He's not going to go all in only holding suited runners. Hell, he wouldn't even go all in if he had pocket aces. Belichick sure as hell didn't in 2001. It took an injury to get him to start the right guy. It will likely take the same thing to get Stanzi a chance this year.

Eh, it's okay. There are a hundred different ways for Baby Ricky the sea turtle to die. More than likely a gull won't get him. He'll probably get caught in a steep sand pocket and fry to death in the hot sun, attempting to climb over the top of Matt Cassel, unable to overcome the slippery sand and its steepness of being "the guy."

SNR
03-15-2012, 10:55 PM
What the fuck is it with me posting in football threads late at night and going heavy on the metaphors? Christ. I swear I'm not drunk. I just don't know what my brain is doing.

Canofbier
03-15-2012, 11:04 PM

PolPotPioli
03-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Sign Brian Hoyer as a restricted FA!

SNR
03-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Because I've hammered it to death, here are the actual facts about sea turtle hatchlings:

-It's not just 99% of sea turtles that don't survive. It's more like 99.9%. Only 1 in 1000 hatchlings will survive to adulthood, which takes around 10 years of swimming in the ocean.

-I got that wrong. Sea turtles don't make the run for the ocean during the day. Most of them would overheat or get eaten. They go at night when the sand is cool and there are fewer predators outside.

-Hatchlings rely on temperature differences and faint changes of light in order to be directed towards the ocean. Something as minute as the white cap of a crested wave or the natural light of the ocean horizon is enough to serve as a signal. Artificial light from beach front housing is a huge problem-- more often than not it will misdirect the hatchlings away from the ocean.

-This has nothing to do with baby sea turtle survival, but check this out: the developing hatchlings do not have sex chromosomes. Their gender is determined by the temperature within the nest.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vXHjGecJ9Nk/Tza-SimS1_I/AAAAAAAAAtU/mjlZZiXYFiY/s1600/TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

Pawnmower
03-15-2012, 11:11 PM
What the **** is it with me posting in football threads late at night and going heavy on the metaphors? Christ. I swear I'm not drunk. I just don't know what my brain is doing.

I thought it was fucking awesome.

And for the record, no one wants Stanzi to be a late round success, win the job, make pro bowls and be the qbotf more than me.

keg in kc
03-15-2012, 11:16 PM
He was supposed to go in the 2nd or 3rd according to every mock in the world.I don't believe that's actually the case, but whether it was or not, mocks don't actually mean anything. Players go where they go, and that's what their value really is in the end.The Chiefs took him in the 5th because they absolutely had to with him still on the board. Nobody knows why he fell. He graded out perfectly. I'm still not sure why he wasn't a 1st rounder. Because he is an Iowa product?Yes, I'm sure being a player on a BCS conference team is something that's going to hurt a draftee. If players from minor conferences or schools like Rutgers or South Florida can go in the first, so can players from Iowa. And they have. It's about the player, not the school.

BIG K
03-15-2012, 11:19 PM
I thought it was ****ing awesome.

And for the record, no one wants Stanzi to be a late round success, win the job, make pro bowls and be the qbotf more than me.

I am with this thought given our curent position.

BIG K
03-15-2012, 11:22 PM

STANZI 2012

I would rather the Chiefs start Stanzi for 2012 and have an epic failure than to start an epic failure in #7......

Phobia
03-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't believe that's actually the case, but whether it was or not, mocks don't actually mean anything. Players go where they go, and that's what their value really is in the end.Yes, I'm sure being a player on a BCS conference team is something that's going to hurt a draftee. If players from minor conferences or schools like Rutgers or South Florida can go in the first, so can players from Iowa. And they have. It's about the player, not the school.

Iowa doesn't exactly feature their passing attack. Their horses are featured and they have a stable of them every year. It's not so much the school as what the school does on the field. Case-in-point, the majority of Hawks drafted are offensive linemen and TE.

Count Zarth
03-16-2012, 01:16 AM
This is where GoChiefs needs to photoshop Scott Pioli's head onto the body of a sea gull. We've heard quotes from both Crennel and Pioli in the past month about there being absolutely no open competition at the QB position. Crennel in his opening press conference said, "We've won with Matt before." Pioli just a few weeks ago said, "Matt is the starter. There's no question."

And I know why. This is Crennel's last go as a head coach. It's a life long dream of his. He's not going to go all in only holding suited runners. Hell, he wouldn't even go all in if he had pocket aces. Belichick sure as hell didn't in 2001. It took an injury to get him to start the right guy. It will likely take the same thing to get Stanzi a chance this year.

Eh, it's okay. There are a hundred different ways for Baby Ricky the sea turtle to die. More than likely a gull won't get him. He'll probably get caught in a steep sand pocket and fry to death in the hot sun, attempting to climb over the top of Matt Cassel, unable to overcome the slippery sand and its steepness of being "the guy."

Post of the year candidate.

jspchief
03-16-2012, 02:06 AM

How is his deep ball?

Brett Favre without as much arm strength.

He has the same type of mobility, throws well on the run. I also think he has the same mindset, which means he'll win the fans with one risk, and lose them with the next.

And when I say less arm strength, I mean more on terms of not having the heat on his throws that Favre does. He still has a nice deep ball, and I guarantee he would stretch the field and keep defenses honest.

Chief3188
03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I will myself, kick in another 5g's for this. But, it has to be a career ending injury. Career ending as in a couple of #7's organs laying on the field, not the bs game ending injury......

Agreed. If I don't see bone I'm not paying

Pawnmower
03-17-2012, 05:37 PM
LOL I guess you guys have to pray both Cassel AND Quinn get murdered now?

NJChiefsFan
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Too bad we can't be sitting in the drivers seat being happy with Cassel/Quinn.

Pawnmower
03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Too bad we can't be sitting in the drivers seat being happy with Cassel/Quinn.

There are a lot of seats in between the drivers seat / front (the happy section) and the cry baby/draftabulator/know it all/ wounded vaginas who take up only few rows in the back but make the most noise and mess in the bus by yelling, screaming and shitting themselves at every turn or bump in the road. You are welcome to move forward any time, there seems to be lots of room in the middle.

NJChiefsFan
03-17-2012, 06:17 PM
There are a lot of seats in between the drivers seat / front (the happy section) and the cry baby/draftabulator/know it all/ wounded vaginas who take up only few rows in the back but make the most noise and mess in the bus by yelling, screaming and shitting themselves at every turn or bump in the road. You are welcome to move forward any time, there seems to be lots of room in the middle.

I would say I am in the middle. My calls for Stanzi to start over Cassel are more about Cassel and our lack of other options. I want us to go get another QB in the draft. I don't think we should stop looking because of Stanzi. I would rather see Stanzi, or even Quinn, start this year. Maybe they do nothing at all. Thats probably the most likely result. IMO I have seen Cassel's high water mark, and it isn't good enough to beat a good/great team in a game said good/great team needs to win.

I do like what I saw from Stanzi in the preseason. I don't think its enough to say "hey he is a starter!". I just think its enough to say "hey can we see more?". Especially when the other option is Matt Cassel.

whoman69
03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Matt Cassel, you've just been handed the starting QB job despite the fact that you suck. What are you going to do now.

"I'm going to Euro Disney!"

the Talking Can
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM

i've always prayed for that

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Matt Cassel, you've just been handed the starting QB job despite the fact that you suck. What are you going to do now.

"I'm going to THE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

FYP