PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Geoff Schwartz T/G lines up visit with Chiefs

Dicky McElephant
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Geoff Schwartz (T) - Panthers

Visiting the Lions on Thursday, free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz also has visits lined up with the Chiefs and 49ers.

www.rotoworld.com

O.city
Well there is our cheap alternative to Winston.

Fuck.

Detoxing
May the Schwartz be with you.

CoMoChief
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
WTF is this guy again?

Dicky McElephant
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I would have no problem signing Winston to RT and Schwartz to play OG.

Dicky McElephant
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
WTF is this guy again?

He played RT and RG in 2010 for the Panthers....but missed all of last year with a hip injury.

MIAdragon
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
May the Schwartz be with you.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KgBT8kIRgBo/SjKaWJ7RxHI/AAAAAAAAFeQ/PyimRz7SRas/s1600/Spaceballs+Schwartz+Fight.jpg

DJ's left nut
03-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Fuck.

Beat me to it.

Yup, when Winston asks for actual American money instead of burger king wrappers and chewing gum, we'll sign this guy...

...(provided that he'll work for burger king wrappers and chewing gum)

Chiefnj2
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
He played RT and RG in 2010 for the Panthers....but missed all of last year with a hip injury.

Really??

That's great. 95% of the interviews are with guys who missed a substantial part of the 2011 season. Talk about value shopping.

Count Alex's Losses
This guy is an above average player, but he's not Winston.

He'd still be a good RT. 15th ranked OT in 2010.

SNR
Chris Terry Part II

Rain Man
03-15-2012, 10:36 AM
If your name is Geoff Schwartz and you're in the pros, you're a great football player. In junior high, high school, college, and the draft, every coach was looking for any reason to play guys with names like Dombrowski and Hammer and Slamowicz and Beefman over the guy named Geoff Schwartz.

Most people don't know this, but Guy Whimper is far and away the best lineman in the league. Coaches are just afraid to play him.

Count Alex's Losses
Chris Terry Part II

No. This guy is young and can play.

carlos3652
Depth at RT/RG - Good signing if we get him in...

Why people bitch about upgrades to our RT situation and our no depth at G is so silly.

Dicky McElephant
03-15-2012, 10:38 AM
From Profootballfocus.com

Geoff Schwartz, OT/ OG

When the Carolina Panthers opted against tendering Schwartz, there was a collective gasp from the PFF team. Sure Ron Rivera wasn’t in charge when Schwartz managed to finish 2010 with a PFF grade of +12.3 despite playing two positions, but it wouldn’t have been hard to watch some tapes and see he’s got more talent than anything they can currently put out on the right side of their line. Schwartz offers the kind of versatility and talent that brings to mind a poor man’s Marshal Yanda; good enough to make him the best right tackle available and possibly the best value guard too. He has a very real chance to be this year’s Evan Mathis for a team with a diligent scouting department.

Fritz88
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Byebye Winston.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discuss Thrower
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I have the recurring feeling Pioli learned from the Joe McGrath school of General Managership.

"Scouts said these guys showed lots of promise!"

AndChiefs
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Byebye Winston.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see them as being mutually exclusive. We need depth on the line as well.

chiefzilla1501
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Relax guys. Our tackle and guard depth are atrocious. There were times the past 2 seasons where I was convinced that we were one injury away from putting Dexter mccluster at guard.

We badly need oline depth. If weget this guy cheap, its a home run of a move.

Count Alex's Losses
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Schwartz could play guard, too, if we decide we want to put Rodney at C.

He's not a depth signing. He's starting material.

Dicky McElephant
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Schwartz could play guard, too, if we decide we want to put Rodney at C.

This.

Like I said.....I'd be ecstatic if we signed Winston and Schwartz.

Albert/Asamoah/Hudson/Schwartz/Winston

carlos3652
03-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I hope we sign both, Winston and Schwartz - #1 RT and Lilja replacement and #2 RT

Mr. Laz
Albert at LT
Swartz at LG
Hudson at C
Asomoah at RG
Winston at RT

At least the OLine should have significant upgrade in power.

Micjones
Schwartz is a good young football player.
We should be able to get him inexpensively since he's coming off injury.
Guy is 25 and very talented. Gives us a utility O-Lineman.

chiefzilla1501
03-15-2012, 10:49 AM
EctlySchwartz could play guard, too, if we decide we want to put Rodney at C.

Indirectly it is. It means you can move Lilja to quality depth. It means you have a guy who can swing to tackle if necessary and move lilja into the starting lineup. A move like this makes me a whole lot les nervous about our line depth.

ILChief
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
It's becoming apparent were drafting a nose tackle

the Talking Can
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
now we're talking...signing him would allow us to cut b-rich

(assuming we get winston)

ILChief
03-15-2012, 11:11 AM
now we're talking...signing him would allow us to cut b-rich

(assuming we get winston)

Richardson is a free agent (I think)

the Talking Can
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Richardson is a free agent (I think)

aye, ye be right

stonedstooge
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Got to get Scotty out of the chipped and cracked section at the Thrift Store

mcaj22
03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Richardson is not coming back

thank goodness

Rausch
03-15-2012, 11:13 AM

I'd almost bet money we'll go this route...

CoMoChief
03-15-2012, 11:14 AM
It's becoming apparent were drafting a nose tackle

We better.....currently have just Powe and Gordon on the roster.

Neither of which deserve to start, or see significant playing time as of yet.

This is the 4th season where we're unable to get a true NT in FA. Eh but who cares, it's only the most important position on defense in a 34 besides a passrushing end.

seaofred
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM

This is the 4th season where we're unable to get a true NT in FA. Eh but who cares, it's only the most important position on defense in a 34 besides a passrushing end.

We have Tribbio too. LMAO

Fat Elvis
03-15-2012, 11:32 AM

It seems to be the MO for this FO: find the most important position on either offense or defense-- and then make sure it is the crappiest player on that side of the ball.

zonachief
03-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Poe at 11?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Frosty
03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Poe at 11?

Hope not. Vernon Gholston Part 2, IMO

Dayze
03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Poe at 11?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

strictly based on the 'highlight' video on Draft PLanet, I thought Poe looked non-explosive off the ball, and got pushed around alot.

...however, I should say that's the extent I saw of him. However, worrisome that the highlight video was against Tulane....:(

Dicky McElephant
03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I would rather we take another OLB than Poe.

If we're looking for a NT.....then we need to trade down and take Taamu in the 2nd. Or trade down for enough that we can take him with a late 1st.

Messier
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Chris Terry Part II

How ya figure?

SNR
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
How ya figure?Broke dick tackle/guard from the Panthers who missed at least a year

Rain Man
03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
I would rather we take another OLB than Poe.

If we're looking for a NT.....then we need to trade down and take Taamu in the 2nd. Or trade down for enough that we can take him with a late 1st.

Isn't that one of the whales at Sea World? If so, that seems like a great pick as long as you could hose him down between plays.

tooge
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
and he doesn't eat the trainer

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
strictly based on the 'highlight' video on Draft PLanet, I thought Poe looked non-explosive off the ball, and got pushed around alot.

...however, I should say that's the extent I saw of him. However, worrisome that the highlight video was against Tulane....:(

Outside of his sheer size, he isn't really a typical 2-gap NT.

TinyEvel
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Is it just me, or do we seem to be talking to/signing players who sat out 2010 or 2011 with injuries

J Diddy
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM

I agree with the don't deserve to start, but couldn't disagree more about the significant playing time. I don't really see how you could assess Powe with his very limited time and I thought Gordon did alright last year.

J Diddy
03-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Is it just me, or do we seem to be talking to/signing players who sat out 2010 or 2011 with injuries

We need them to be well rested for a long run into the playoffs?

:shrug:

Sofa King
03-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Players who don't play are cheaper.

alpha_omega
03-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Sounds ok to me.

The best part is that his name isn't Barry Richardson.

J Diddy
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Sounds ok to me.

The best part is that his name isn't Barry Richardson.

Have we had a right tackle worth a shit since Tait?

HemiEd
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM

How long before Clark recovers the Hunt's investment in the stadium upgrades? This is the last year he can get by with this stuff, right?

Saccopoo
03-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Nope.

RustShack
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Are we talking about Welbourne before or after the roids?

Sofa King
03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
So is this guy gone or is he still going to visit?

Mr. Laz
03-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Fuck.

Byebye Winston.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the recurring feeling Pioli learned from the Joe McGrath school of General Managership.

"Scouts said these guys showed lots of promise!"

Beat me to it.

Yup, when Winston asks for actual American money instead of burger king wrappers and chewing gum, we'll sign this guy...

...(provided that he'll work for burger king wrappers and chewing gum)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WsZuQWhHzKA/TjfcaVcGR4I/AAAAAAAAAbY/3UoMjMteTSM/s1600/dawson-crying.jpg

carlos3652
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
He was supposed to be coming this next week,

Fritz88
03-18-2012, 10:29 AM
He was supposed to be coming this next week,

Who? Ma deck?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallcrawler
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Holy KRAP.

If we get this dude to play G for us, that really opens up our options in the draft at #11.

KurtCobain
03-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Holy KRAP.

If we get this dude to play G for us, that really opens up our options in the draft at #11.

Options? I'm pretty confident will be drafting a second round defensive tackle with our first pick. Hell, we might even trade up for him.

Wallcrawler
03-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I dont follow college, so the draft is pretty foreign to me outside the biggest names. It would make the most sense to me though that if there apparently is not a player "worthy" of being taken by us at 11, then we should trade down and get more picks, as long as we dont Junior Siavii them.

Hell, two of our best players in recent history didnt even come in the first round. Jared Allen was 4th round, and Brandon Carr was a 5th.

With the Chiefs' luck with some of these drafts, the more shots they can take, the better.

They probably arent going for Tannehill, with the "token" free agent QB signing of Brady Quinn.

OG, NT seem to be the biggest spots we need to look at, and we could really stand to have better depth at S and another pass rusher should something happen with Hali, though I think youd pretty much have to kill him to stop him from playing.

Whether those needs can be filled in the draft, I dont know. I hope so.

Hopefully Pioli is as good with our Picks as he has been with our cap dollars so far in FA. If we can trade down and pick up an extra player or two Id be all for it.

With QB being as weak as it is, the rest of the team has to be overfortified for us to have a shot.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Geoff Schwartz - T - Panthers Free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz will visit the 49ers.
Schwartz is set to meet with the Vikings on Monday, so it's possible he'll never make it to San Francisco. Schwartz has already visited the Lions.

ChiefGator
03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Geoff Schwartz - T - Panthers Free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz will visit the 49ers.
Schwartz is set to meet with the Vikings on Monday, so it's possible he'll never make it to San Francisco. Schwartz has already visited the Lions.

Hmm.. that doesn't sound promising. I guess the Chiefs trip was cancelled, or being overlooked?

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsiderReply
Retweet

Favorite
Open

Offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz has joined the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year contract, according to a league source.

Dicky McElephant
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Damnt.

TEX
03-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Holy KRAP.

But can he play QB is the question. Our current Guards are better at playing Guard than our QB's are at playing QB. :shake:

TEX
03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Retweet

Favorite
Open

Offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz has joined the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year contract, according to a league source.

Yeah - I really think Pioli is done getting free agents. He's saying all the right things - just like they did regarding Manning. But in the end, they were never serious...Such is life in Chiefs land...

Rain Man
03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm always curious about what happens on these free agent visits. I know there's the usual stuff like touring the facility and BSing with the GM and maybe a position coach or two and of course welcoming the multinational parade of hookers to the hotel room, but what happens in the negotiations? It would be in Schwartz's clear best interest to visit all of the interested teams, so why does he not do so? Do they suck up so much that he gives in to flattery? Or do they say something like, "Here's a nice deal. We're talking to [other free agent guard] tomorrow and if we sign him we don't sign you." Or do they say something like, "The deal is $2 million now, and it's $1.9 next week, and it's $1.8 the week after that."

Micjones
03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Retweet

Favorite
Open

Would've been nice to have, but we've got the draft to backfill depth positions along the line.
There are also some inexpensive second contract Tackles/Guards available in Free Agency.

Braincase
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Offensive success always starts with the line. I hope the Chiefs end up with the best O-line in football.

Micjones
03-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Offensive success always starts with the line. I hope the Chiefs end up with the best O-line in football.

We had that once and we were as successful with it as we are now.
It's balance this team needs. We're well on our way to having it.

KCDC
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Signing Schwartz would have obviated the need to draft DeCastro. Now it looks more likely that DeCastro might be our #1 pick.

Micjones
03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Signing Schwartz would have obviated the need to draft DeCastro. Now it looks more likely that DeCastro might be our #1 pick.

Guy has a 10-year perennial Pro Bowler career trajectory.
I'll take it.

beach tribe
03-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah - I really think Pioli is done getting free agents. He's saying all the right things - just like they did regarding Manning. But in the end, they were never serious...Such is life in Chiefs land...
Just like Chiefs would never pay Winston. Outside of not getting Manning this team has been anything but cheap this offseason. Every post you make is a shot at the organization so I'm not surprised.

cabletech94
03-21-2012, 07:25 PM
wouldn't want a guy named geoff.

his parents spelled his name wrong. it's all downhill from there.

Great Expectations
03-21-2012, 08:29 PM

The Packers, Patriots, and Peyton led Colts disagree.

Hoover
03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Packers invest a lot of high picks in their Oline.