PDA

View Full Version : Football Titans offer Peyton Manning contract for life?

Carlota69
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Titans owner offers Peyton a contract “for life”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
To the extent that Peyton Manning is looking to parlay a contract for his services as a player into a contract for his services as an executive, it’s working.

Titans owner Bud Adams told KHOU radio in Houston on Wednesday that he has offered Peyton a contract “for life.”

Adams also said he “feels great” about the team’s chances of landing Manning.

As previously mentioned, the idea of welcoming Peyton into the front office upon retirement could make for more than a little awkwardness, given that the jobs and the duties Peyton may be eyeballing already are spoken for. (Including giving the opposition a double-barreled middle finger during games.)

Then there’s the question of how a contract that contains financial promises beyond the expiration of the playing career impacts the salary cap. A post-playing-career maneuver once made by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen regarding quarterback John Elway contributed to a finding that the team had violated the salary-cap rules.

And so, before any contract “for life” becomes effective, the league office will have to approve it. In the end, it’s possible that the playing part of the lifetime contract will be addressed in writing, and that the balance of the business will be accomplished via a series of winks and nods.

Bowser
03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Bud Adams is old and senile, and someone on his board needs to tackle him.

Hoover
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
How does the signing bonus work in cases like this? :)

MIAdragon
wrap it up folks, the train stops here.

Carlota69
This is from last night...

Peyton’s Tennessee visit includes Titans’ doctor

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT

Getty Images
Quarterback Peyton Manning spent enough time with the Titans on Wednesday to get a paycheck. According to ESPN.com, Manning put in eight hours visiting with team officials.

Part of the time reportedly was spent with the team’s doctor, Burton Elrod. (What, Dr. Cletus Moonbucket was too busy?) Important questions remain regarding the status of Peyton’s neck, and the strength of his passing arm.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that none of the four teams with which Manning has met (Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins, Titans) have been eliminated. Mort also reports, apparently passing along the message that the Manning camp wants communicated to the rest of the league, that Peyton hasn’t closed the door on meeting with other teams.

In other words, “No one has offered me the kind of money I want.”

At some point, Peyton needs to start handing out roses, or bags of poo. The delay is making him look indecisive, and indecision is going to make him look like Brett Favre.

Actually, when it came to picking a team, Brett was never indecisive. Sure, he hemmed and hawed about playing for the Jets or Buccaneers in 2008, but only because he wanted to play for the Vikings, Bears, or Lions.

Peyton could be turning into the mirror image of Favre. Brett couldn’t decide when he wanted to stop playing; Manning is coming off as a guy who can’t decide where he wants to keep playing.

Then again, if anyone offered him enough money, he’d make up his mind pretty quickly.

buddha
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
wrap it up folks, the train stops here.

I think you're right. I think Payton ends up a Titan at this point.

Pestilence
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
So Peyton signs with the Titans......and Hasselbeck gets cut?

Carlota69
03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Future Elway-type role could be complicating Manning talks

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT

Getty Images
At a time when more and more league insiders are wondering whether the Peyton chase is all about chasing paper, there’s a new dynamic to consider.

Peyton may have his eye on a retirement gig in an NFL front office.

On Wednesday, Mike Lombardi of NFL Network pointed out that, if that’s what Peyton wants, the Titans have an edge over the Broncos, because the Broncos already have a former quarterback running the football operation.

If the chatter that Peyton actually wants a commitment that he’ll go from Superman to Clark Kent once he’s done playing is true, it complicates matters, even for the Titans. While Tennessee doesn’t have a Hall of Fame quarterback at the top of the front office, the organizational chart already is pretty full. Earlier this year, Mike Reinfeldt became team president, and Ruston Webster filled in as G.M.

And so, at a minimum, it becomes awkward for any team to offer future front-office titles and responsibilities to a potential player, especially since the player will be negotiating with people who currently hold those titles and/or responsibilities.

Moreover, it doesn’t make much sense to use a franchise’s interest in a player as leverage to generate interest in him as an executive. If Peyton has the chops to make football decisions, there will be a market for his services once he retires. Intertwining what a team can do for him later with what a team can do for him now could result in a decision that balances present and future.

Wouldn’t it be better to simply focus on the present?

Rausch
03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
So Peyton signs with the Titans......and Hasselbeck gets cut?

Sign him.

He could be 52 and probably still better with the ball than Casshole.

WV
03-15-2012, 10:20 AM
This is from last night...

Peyton’s Tennessee visit includes Titans’ doctor

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT

Getty Images
Quarterback Peyton Manning spent enough time with the Titans on Wednesday to get a paycheck. According to ESPN.com, Manning put in eight hours visiting with team officials.

Part of the time reportedly was spent with the team’s doctor, Burton Elrod. (What, Dr. Cletus Moonbucket was too busy?) Important questions remain regarding the status of Peyton’s neck, and the strength of his passing arm.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that none of the four teams with which Manning has met (Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins, Titans) have been eliminated. Mort also reports, apparently passing along the message that the Manning camp wants communicated to the rest of the league, that Peyton hasn’t closed the door on meeting with other teams.

In other words, “No one has offered me the kind of money I want.”

At some point, Peyton needs to start handing out roses, or bags of poo. The delay is making him look indecisive, and indecision is going to make him look like Brett Favre.

Actually, when it came to picking a team, Brett was never indecisive. Sure, he hemmed and hawed about playing for the Jets or Buccaneers in 2008, but only because he wanted to play for the Vikings, Bears, or Lions.

Peyton could be turning into the mirror image of Favre. Brett couldn’t decide when he wanted to stop playing; Manning is coming off as a guy who can’t decide where he wants to keep playing.

Then again, if anyone offered him enough money, he’d make up his mind pretty quickly.

Found this part funny considering all these people who "know" Manning are coming out of the woodwork talking about how he doesn't like this dog and pony show....yeah right, sounds like he is really hating life. He's reliving his college recruiting days on a bunch of disillusioned NFL teams dime.

alpha_omega
03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
They are probably offering him some piece of ownership as well.

Sounds like that is gonna be the best deal for him.

Phobia
No wonder Clark was out early. My stance would be, let's see how it goes, Peyton. Frankly, if you want a job after your playing days are over then get your resume ready and go find one. That job has nothing to do with this job.

Carlota69
The last article I posted really says it, if he wants to be a front office guy, he can when he retires. he doesnt need some contract giving him a job. Im sure most franchises would offer him a gig when he retires. Plus it doesnt make sense for the NFL to allow this. It seems to against the "cap". Creates unfair advantage?

Carlota69
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
No wonder Clark was out early. My stance would be, let's see how it goes, Peyton. Frankly, if you want a job after your playing days are over then get your resume ready and go find one. That job has nothing to do with this job.

Exactly.

T-post Tom
03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
The last article I posted really says it, if he wants to be a front office guy, he can when he retires. he doesnt need some contract giving him a job. Im sure most franchises would offer him a gig when he retires. Plus it doesnt make sense for the NFL to allow this. It seems to against the "cap". Creates unfair advantage?

It didn't stop Pat Bowlen & Elway. Elway was the lowest paid starting QB during the two years the cheating donks won the Superbowl. One helluva deferred compensation plan.

Frankie
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Titans owner offers Peyton a contract “for life”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
To the extent that Peyton Manning is looking to parlay a contract for his services as a player into a contract for his services as an executive, it’s working.

Titans owner Bud Adams told KHOU radio in Houston on Wednesday that he has offered Peyton a contract “for life.”

Adams also said he “feels great” about the team’s chances of landing Manning.

As previously mentioned, the idea of welcoming Peyton into the front office upon retirement could make for more than a little awkwardness, given that the jobs and the duties Peyton may be eyeballing already are spoken for. (Including giving the opposition a double-barreled middle finger during games.)

Then there’s the question of how a contract that contains financial promises beyond the expiration of the playing career impacts the salary cap. A post-playing-career maneuver once made by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen regarding quarterback John Elway contributed to a finding that the team had violated the salary-cap rules.

And so, before any contract “for life” becomes effective, the league office will have to approve it. In the end, it’s possible that the playing part of the lifetime contract will be addressed in writing, and that the balance of the business will be accomplished via a series of winks and nods.

I think when Bud says "contract For Life" he means Bud's life. He's 89 you know.

Von Dumbass
03-15-2012, 11:03 AM
That would be called cheating the salary cap and it would cost the Titans draft picks.

Plus the Colts offered the same thing to Manning. After Manning is done playing he will take a job with the Colts.

Mile High Mania
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
We'll see how it goes... my guess is he could go to a number of teams in that role. I honestly can't imagine it's a huge selling point. It's good for headlines though.

Sounds like Elway's pitch was around winning a title and knowing what it takes with a QB in the twilight years... Bud is focused on the longer term item. We'll soon find out - hopefully.

Bewbies
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
That would be called cheating the salary cap and it would cost the Broncos draft picks.

truth

alpha_omega
03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Everyone is talking about an executive position...i still think it could mean ownership.

How would that work within the rules of the cap?

ChiefGator
03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Everyone is talking about an executive position...i still think it could mean ownership.

That would have to be a violation.

Fritz88
03-15-2012, 11:17 AM
That would be called cheating the salary cap and it would cost the Titans draft picks.

Plus the Colts offered the same thing to Manning. After Manning is done playing he will take a job with the Colts.

Spoken from experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
and that is why old people like Bud should be forcefully removed from their positions.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow, a lifetime contract. That sounds serious folks.

Dave Lane
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Well you guys are experts in this field so I'll take your advice on this.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Bowlen-- "This one's for Peyton!"

Dayze
03-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Soucres indicate Manning met with the Oakland Raiders Wednesday and offered him a 3 yr deal worth 30M guarnteed, and an offer to be a Thug 4 Life. Stay tuned.

qabbaan
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Like the Chiefs would give someone outside of the tree an executive position ...

KC_Lee
03-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Someone please put Bud back in his room, it's time for his medication.

Tuckdaddy
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
His wife is from Tennesse, he's a Volunteer and that's where he will sign and work. She sacrificed for him living in Indy and now she wants to go home.

Bank on it. Clearly he's not looking for the most ready SB team. He wants to be just good ole happy with his surroundings.

Von Dumbass
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
His wife is from Tennesse, he's a Volunteer and that's where he will sign and work. She sacrificed for him living in Indy and now she wants to go home.

Bank on it. Clearly he's not looking for the most ready SB team. He wants to be just good ole happy with his surroundings.

Have heard whispers returning to Tenn might not be Mannings wifes dream scenario. That could bode well for Broncos.

https://twitter.com/#!/thegarymiller/status/180317576633647105

Peyton Manning's wife inquired about houses in Colorado this week. Source? The realtor.

https://twitter.com/#!/BrandonSpano/status/180353113042063360

cabletech94
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Have heard whispers returning to Tenn might not be Mannings wifes dream scenario. That could bode well for Broncos.

Peyton Manning's wife inquired about houses in Colorado this week. Source? The realtor.

Hai guys!!! my best friend is from colorado! he's got a buddy who's wifes 2nd cousin once removed is a janitor for a large realty firm. says that mrs. manning is buying a house in colorado.

serioulsy serius deal is done here!!!

Garcia Bronco
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM

I don't buy that angle either. Tennesse is a shithole place to live.

ILChief
03-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't buy that angle either. Tennesse is a shithole place to live.

Whatever, Nashville is a really nice city. Plus with all the country music stars there, people are used to celebrities so he could live in peace

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 12:41 PM
This thing has took a stupid turn.

KC_Lee
03-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Whatever, Nashville is a really nice city. Plus with all the country music stars there, people are used to celebrities so he could live in peace

And no income tax either. That's a plus as well.

With that being said if Manning signs with the Titans all his talk about wanting to win another Super Bowl is total crap. The Titans with Manning might win the AFC South and maybe one playoff game but they do not sniff the Super Bowl.

HemiEd
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM

The thought of beating Indy at least twice a year might have some appeal.

The thought of going into Indy, and getting a louder applause than Luck, just might be stroking his ego as well.

Extra Point
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
The thought of an Indy player clocking Manning excites me, even more.

Rooster
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM

:thumb: Agreed. It's a great city.

Amnorix
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM

It doesn't.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Welcher.

Chiefnj2
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I was just listening to the radio and they said KC was making a major push for Manning this afternoon. Clark and Scott have been busy behind the scenes trying to top the Titans offer of a management position.

Reportedly they spoke to Manning, or his agent, and said "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness."

Rooster
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM

LMAOLMAO I'm glad KC is solid at QB and don't have to worry about such things.:evil:

vailpass
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I will be very surprised if Manning doesn't sign with the Titans. Go finish your pro career where you played your college ball then set up your own little fiefdom afterwards. Not a bad deal.

Frankie
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM

:thumb: Agreed. It's a great city.

The home of Mr. FAX. How could it be anything but great.

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok clark here we go offer a contract for life and beyond. Rename arrowhead manning place. Give away manning bobble heads hey thats the real manning.

Shox
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
The Titans can have him. I admit I was very excited about the possiblity of Manning being a Chief. But, I have never been a fan and in the long run I'm not sure it would be in the Chiefs best interest. I'm certain the Titans are making a huge mistake. I don't think they have the firepower to make a championship run, even with Manning. If you are a team who does not have the pieces to make a run in the next two seasons why bring PM in?

I can also see a team signing him only for him to breakdown in Dec or during the playoff run. I know any QB can get hurt at any moment, but PM's risk factor is much higher at this point in his career.

Enjoy Titans.....it will be a very short ride with an ugly ending.

htismaqe
03-15-2012, 01:21 PM
If you are a team who does not have the pieces to make a run in the next two seasons why bring PM in?

$$$

Epic Fail 007
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
The Titans can have him. I admit I was very excited about the possiblity of Manning being a Chief. But, I have never been a fan and in the long run I'm not sure it would be in the Chiefs best interest. I'm certain the Titans are making a huge mistake. I don't think they have the firepower to make a championship run, even with Manning. If you are a team who does not have the pieces to make a run in the next two seasons why bring PM in?

I can also see a team signing him only for him to breakdown in Dec or during the playoff run. I know any QB can get hurt at any moment, but PM's risk factor is much higher at this point in his career.

Enjoy Titans.....it will be a very short ride with an ugly ending.

Yes it will.

Carlota69
03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Contract “for life” would require two contracts, league approval

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT

Getty Images
Titans owner Bud Adams has offered Peyton Manning a contract “for life.” As crazy as it sounds in the salary-cap era, it can happen.

Per a source with knowledge of the league’s procedures, Manning and the Titans would be required to sign two contracts: one for the work as player, and one for the job as a non-player. The second job would have to be a “real job,” and the wages for the second job would have to represent fair market value.

Also, Manning would have to actually perform the duties of the job after his playing career ends.

There would be no cap charge during Manning’s playing career. However, if the second contract pays higher than fair market value or if Manning doesn’t perform the services required, the Titans would face salary cap charges and other penalties for circumventing the cap, including fines and possible loss of draft choices.

To the extent that the contract “for life” would entail purchasing a portion of the team, there would be salary cap implications. Before getting to that point, the transaction would have to be approved by a vote of the 32 owners.

It’s unknown whether Adams would attempt to convey minority ownership of the Titans to Manning.

KC_Lee
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
$$$

Yep, this will sell tickets (but it's not like the Titans are hurting in this department) and a ton of jerseys.

Does nothing to get them closer to the Super Bowl. I would argue it would put them farther away from getting to the Super Bowl.