PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DeCastro anyone?

tredadda
03-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Now that we have our RT and missed out on the RGIII and Luck sweepstakes, how would people feel about drafting David DeCastro? The way I see it is unless we trade our first this year to someone for their first next year (assuming there is someone willing to do this) who else could we really use at #11? To me

1. Richardson will most likely be gone

2. Tannehill is a horrible idea at #11 assuming he is even there.

3. There are no NTs worth a #11 pick.

Why not get an elite guard and have a young monstrous O-Line with Albert-DeCastro-Hudson-Asamoah-Winston?

I am usually against the thought of drafting O-line in the first, but we are in a spot talent wise where he would be a great pickup since we will miss out on QB (clearly our biggest flaw) this year.

Urc Burry
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Prefer to trade down

O.city
03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Only thing that worries me with adding Decastro, only thing, is that it would mean we are starting three new olineman. That could be a little difficult.

Okie_Apparition
03-17-2012, 08:33 PM
If you prize your internet balls
delete this thread

milkman
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
No.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
No.

Why not then? Whom do you prefer @ #11 assuming we can't trade down and Richardson is gone?

milkman
03-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Why not then? Whom do you prefer @ #11 assuming we can't trade down and Richardson is gone?

Guard is the easiest position to find all over the draft.

Spending a high first on a guard is a terrible waste of value.

CB (Jenkins), pass rusher (Perry), or almost any other position other than guard.

Micjones
03-17-2012, 08:42 PM
I'd trade down a bit. Pick up an extra #2.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2012, 08:45 PM

CB (Jenkins), pass rusher (Perry), or almost any other position other than guard.

This. Guard is probably the least impactful position on the field.

melbar
03-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Our O line took a pretty good hit as soon as Shields retired. I think that shows the real value of the "non-sexy" pick. If this guy is almost assured to be in the league of Shields, you could do worse gambling on a player that is the 2nd or 3rd best at his position in this draft.

Setsuna
03-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Milkman is correct. And when you will be running most of the time and throwing 3-5 yard passes, you don't need the line to hold very long. Just saying.

Three7s
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
If our O-line gets too good, Cassel may never get injured.

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
If our O-line gets too good, Cassel may never get injured.

perfect then he'll go down in flames with no excuses

Hoover
03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
You can basically accomplish the same thing by drafting Konz and putting him at center and let Hudson play guard. I'm all for trading down. I think there will be team looking for a CB, OT, or RB. Let's make them pay.

crazycoffey
03-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Cb

JohnnyV13
03-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Exactly. Trade down. Trade our 1st for a first next year and a 2nd this year. Trade our high second for a first next year.

Use our 3 firsts to get elite QB next year.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Prefer to trade down

If there is no one there you want to draft, who is there that anyone would trade up for?

This seems to escape nearly everyone here.

milkman
03-17-2012, 09:51 PM
If there is no one there you want to draft, who is there that anyone would trade up for?

This seems to escape nearly everyone here.

Different teams have different needs.

Who's behind us that may want to trade up for the best OT available?

Would the Rams be willing to give up a future number 1 for a chance to draft Reiff?

Mecca
03-17-2012, 09:52 PM

This team will never touch Jenkins, his character flaws are to much.

milkman
03-17-2012, 09:56 PM

This team will never touch Justin Houston (or Jonathan Baldwin), his character flaws are to much.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Milkman is correct. And when you will be running most of the time and throwing 3-5 yard passes, you don't need the line to hold very long. Just saying.

Yeah, but our current QB situation wont always be as awful as it currently is (hopefully).

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Different teams have different needs.

Who's behind us that may want to trade up for the best OT available?

Would the Rams be willing to give up a future number 1 for a chance to draft Reiff?

You think we can just give up having a first round pick this year?

The best OT available is not going to be worth the #11 pick. People need to realize that OTHER teams are aware of the draft class' weakness as well.

Suck it up and draft Poe or Decastro. I think Kuechly is great, but is redundant in this system with the presence of DJ.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 09:58 PM
This team will never touch Justin Houston (or Jonathan Baldwin), his character flaws are to much.

Jenkins are far more severe, getting kicked out of Florida is hard to do..and I believe he got suspended this past season also.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Fair enough, I was looking at an elite player that we could use.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:00 PM
You think we can just give up having a first round pick this year?

The best OT available is not going to be worth the #11 pick. People need to realize that OTHER teams are aware of the draft class' weakness as well.

Suck it up and draft Poe or Decastro. I think Kuechly is great, but is redundant in this system with the presence of DJ.

That would be the best solution by far, but a team has to be willing to give up a first next year for our first this year. There is no position that we HAVE to get at #11 this year.

Fairplay
03-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Good post Milkman, couldn't have said it any better.

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Jenkins are far more severe, getting kicked out of Florida is hard to do..and I believe he got suspended this past season also.

I don't care if it's Jenkins, Kirpatrick or a pass rusher like Nick Perry.

Hell, I'd draft Mark Barron at safety for depth before I'd draft a guard at #11.

xztop12
03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Only thing that worries me with adding Decastro, only thing, is that it would mean we are starting three new olineman. That could be a little difficult.

and a new oline coach too. we are effectively eliminating all variables which is good. i think we had the worst pass blocking oline in the nfl last year

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
I don't care if it's Jenkins, Kirpatrick or a pass rusher like Nick Perry.

Hell, I'd draft Mark Barron at safety for depth before I'd draft a guard at #11.

Actually I love Mark Barron and Dre Kirkpatrick, Barron would be a starter for us though, he'd push Lewis to the nickel safety and push McGraw off the field.

Barron and Berry would be an outstanding duo.

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Yeah. The problem seems he keeps making the same fucking mistakes over and over, while finding new ones to add on.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:06 PM
That would be the best solution by far, but a team has to be willing to give up a first next year for our first this year. There is no position that we HAVE to get at #11 this year.

It's a fair point, but I just feel like, with the rookie wage scale, the difference between the #11 pick and the #20 pick is marginal. The only true difference is whether or not you get your guy.

If someone wants to trade up, and we feel like we can still get our guy (like Baldwin last year), then fantastic. I'm 100% for trading down. I'm just doubtful anyone is a willing trade partner.

At that point, you HAVE to draft whoever you like the best, regardless of position. Decastro is a fantastic pick at that point, because you are getting a legitimate first round talent, a day one starter, and at a position of need. Add to that the average length of an offensive lineman's career vs that of a running back, and I'd easily put him in contention with Trent Richardson. I know Richardson is more talented, but the averages suggest he is going to contribute as a starter for half the time Decastro will.

Just my take.

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Actually I love Mark Barron and Dre Kirkpatrick, Barron would be a starter for us though, he'd push Lewis to the nickel safety and push McGraw off the field.

Barron and Berry would be an outstanding duo.

Yeah, I know that Lewis would be the depth.

The point is, there is not one good reason to draft a guard at #11.

There is not a single point to be made to justify it.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
David DeCastro is the best guard since Hutchinson in draft rating, you're talking a guy that should be as good as Carl Nicks 5 games into his career for about 1/5 the money.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:08 PM

Other than to hide Cassel behind the best line ever assembled.

KurtCobain
03-17-2012, 10:10 PM
I want decastro as much as I want to chew on Mecca's hair.

KurtCobain
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Other than to hide Cassel behind the best line ever assembled.

Albert is not that good.

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
David DeCastro is the best guard since Hutchinson in draft rating, you're talking a guy that should be as good as Carl Nicks 5 games into his career for about 1/5 the money.

You can find Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Will Shields, etc.... in the late rounds of every draft.

Guard is the position of least value.

Taking a guard at #11 is every bit as wasteful in positional value as taking a 5 tech #3 overall, if not more.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:12 PM

1. We need a guard.
2. He's the highest rated guard in almost a decade.
3. The last two drafts, guards have gone in the first round.
4. There isn't another position of glaring need we can address more effectively with the draft pick.
5. We need a guard.
6. Everyone was jerking off hoping we would sign Carl Nicks to a forty million dollar deal. What's the fucking difference between financial commitment like that and a first round pick? There isn't. There just isn't.
7. No one is trading up for any of the guys available, so you HAVE to reach on someone. You are reaching the least with a guy who starts from day one.

There isn't a SINGLE REASON to be made for drafting Trent Richardson, yet everyone keeps suggesting that, too.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
You can find Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Will Shields, etc.... in the late rounds of every draft.

Taking a guard at #11 is every bit as wasteful in positional value as taking a 5 tech #3 overall, if not more.

You'll probably see it a bit more often now with the lessening of rookie money.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
1. We need a guard.
4. There isn't another position of glaring need we can address more effectively with the draft pick.
5. We need a guard.
6. Everyone was jerking off hoping we would sign Carl Nicks to a forty million dollar deal. What's the fucking difference between financial commitment like that and a first round pick? There isn't. There just isn't.
7. No one is trading up for any of the guys available, so you HAVE to reach on someone. You are reaching the least with a guy who starts from day one.

There isn't a SINGLE REASON to be made for drafting Trent Richardson, yet everyone keeps suggesting that, too.

That reason is Richardson fucking owns.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
That reason is Richardson ****ing owns.

So did Stanford's run game and DeCastro played a major role in that.

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
1. We need a guard.
5. We need a guard.
6. Everyone was jerking off hoping we would sign Carl Nicks to a forty million dollar deal. What's the ****ing difference between financial commitment like that and a first round pick? There isn't. There just isn't.

To your points.

First, we could stand to upgrade at Lilja's spot, but it isn't a glaring need.

Second, I was not one of those that was "jerking off hoping we would sign Carl Nicks" specifically because there's no way in hell you can justify that kind of investment in a guard.

Third, who the hell knows what any team's desires are when draft time comes around, but you have to at least attempt to trade down.

And the reason you draft a Trent Richardson is that he's a difference maker.

A guard, no matter how fucking good he is projected to be, is not.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
To your points.

Second, I was not one of those that was "jerking off hoping we would sign Carl Nicks" specifically because there's no way in hell you can justify that kind of investment in a guard.

Third, who the hell knows what any team's desires are when draft time comes around, but you have to at least attempt to trade down.

A guard, no matter how ****ing good he is projected to be, is not.

If Will Shields and Trent Richardson are sitting there for you to draft at #11, who do you draft?

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:27 PM

You CAN find a quarterback in the sixth round.

But you don't.

Oh, and Ben Grubbs was a first round pick.
So was pro Bowler Davin Joseph.
So was pro Bowler Steve Hutchinson.
So was pro Bowler Logan Makins

And the ENTIRE idea that you can find these guys in later rounds is misleading for two reasons:

1. That is true of literally every position. It has nothing to do with guard. I can make the same case with running back (arian foster), wide receiver (marques colston), quarterback (drew brees/brady), pass rusher (james harrison), cornerback (brandon carr).

2. Part of the reason why you could find guys like that later is because there was less of a premium on interior linemen a few years ago. However, teams are beginning to realize that the quickest path to the QB is up the middle. You'll notice more guys like:

Maukice Pouncey - pro bowler
Mike Iupati
Mike Pouncey
Alex Mack - pro bowler
Eric Wood
Danny Watkins

All interior linemen drafted in the first round within the last three years. More teams are drafting them higher, so the gems aren't lasting as long. It's the same with QB. You used to be able to get a developmental guy like Tannehill or Weeden in the second or third. Now you HAVE to draft him in the first, because other teams will reach.

A player's value is determined by when other teams will draft him.

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:28 PM
If Will Shields and Trent Richardson are sitting there for you to draft at #11, who do you draft?

Trent Richardson.

I am a fan of Shields, and as many might be able to tell you, I watch O-line play.

But the fact remains, guard is the least valuable and easiest position to find in the draft.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Trent Richardson.

I am a fan of Shields, and as many might be able to tell you, I watch O-line play.

But the fact remains, guard is the least valuable and easiest position to find in the draft.

OK, just curious. I respect the fact you remain firm in that conviction.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
To your points.

A guard, no matter how ****ing good he is projected to be, is not.

I get that, but here's the thing:

WE ALREADY HAVE DIFFERENCE MAKERS.

We need guys to block for them.

xztop12
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
decastroooooooo

normally i wouldnt say a guard can influence an offense much but with his pulling abilities, he can be 10 yards down the field with a guy as slow as Hillis running behind him

decastro vs richardson? id pick trent

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I get that, but here's the thing:

WE ALREADY HAVE DIFFERENCE MAKERS.

We need guys to block for them.

If he is the first pick I say it's more about protecting Cassel's ass to make him look ok than anything else.

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:32 PM
You CAN find a quarterback in the sixth round.

But you don't.

Oh, and Ben Grubbs was a first round pick.
So was pro Bowler Davin Joseph.
So was pro Bowler Steve Hutchinson.
So was pro Bowler Logan Makins

And the ENTIRE idea that you can find these guys in later rounds is misleading for two reasons:

1. That is true of literally every position. It has nothing to do with guard. I can make the same case with running back (arian foster), wide receiver (marques colston), quarterback (drew brees/brady), pass rusher (james harrison), cornerback (brandon carr).

2. Part of the reason why you could find guys like that later is because there was less of a premium on interior linemen a few years ago. However, teams are beginning to realize that the quickest path to the QB is up the middle. You'll notice more guys like:

Maukice Pouncey - pro bowler
Mike Iupati
Mike Pouncey
Alex Mack - pro bowler
Eric Wood
Danny Watkins

All interior linemen drafted in the first round within the last three years. More teams are drafting them higher, so the gems aren't lasting as long. It's the same with QB. You used to be able to get a developmental guy like Tannehill or Weeden in the second or third. Now you HAVE to draft him in the first, because other teams will reach.

A player's value is determined by when other teams will draft him.

And in the same draft that the Bills got Eric Wood, they also got Andy Levitre in the 4th round(?), and he is almost, if not, every bit as good as
Wood.

And yes, I fully understand and recognize that other positions can be, and have been, found later in the draft, but not one position has the same history of success later in the draft than guard.

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:33 PM

You see that's a trick question though.

Will Shields was a 3rd rounder. The question isn't this guy or this guy. The question is.. "Do you spend a high 1st rounder on a Guard when they are routinely filled in the mid rounds?" And the answer is no.

Furthermore, on the list of importance, Guard is way down there. Lets not pretend this like like getting a LT.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
You see that's a trick question though.

Will Shields was a 3rd rounder. The question isn't this guy or this guy. The question is.. "Do you spend a high 1st rounder on a Guard when they are routinely filled in the mid rounds?" And the answer is no.

Furthermore, on the list of importance, Guard is way down there. Lets not pretend this like like getting a LT.

I think they're going higher now because when you're a good team it's a safe pick. No one is gonna look back and bitch that you drafted a multi time pro bowler 10 year starter with your first pick.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
God, weren't people saying this same shit about safety two years ago? Drafting on position is archaic.

You don't turn your back on any position other than kicker/punter. Draft the best player. Not every first round pick is going to be Calvin Johnson. Get a starter, hopefully a pro bowler, but a solid, consistent starter, if nothing else.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
And in the same draft that the Bills got Eric Wood, they also got Andy Levitre in the 4th round(?), and he is almost, if not, every bit as good as
Wood.

And yes, I fully understand and recognize that other positions can be, and have been, found later in the draft, but not one position has the same history of success later in the draft than guard.

Running back sure as hell does.

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
On the offensive side of the ball, how many positions would you say are less important that Guard.

If you had to list them. How many would be lower than Guard?

FB - That's easy.
C - ??? Maybe? I think it's a toss up with being tied with Guard.

It just isn't an impact position. Guards and Centers are scrub guys that can be filled easily in the draft. You going to spend a #11 pick on that? Of course not.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
On the offensive side of the ball, how many positions would you say are less important that Guard.

FB - That's easy.

It just isn't an impact position. Guards and Centers are scrub guys that can be filled easily in the draft.

I could sit here and argue all positions on offense are easy to fill other than QB, LT and WR...so should we be taking defense?

MIAdragon

Jesus Christ look what the cat dragged in!?

xztop12
we're talking about trent richardson and decastro

some guys in another thread were talking about janoris jenkins LOLLLLLL

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM
we're talking about trent richardson and decastro

some guys in another thread were talking about janoris jenkins LOLLLLLL

Jenkins would be a top 15 pick if he wasn't such a jackass.

milkman
Running back sure as hell does.

How many real difference makers are there at RB?

xztop12
I could sit here and argue all positions on offense are easy to fill other than QB, LT and WR...so should we be taking defense?

it's interesting that this may be a valid case in point, considering most of the defensive guys that we're now selecting ahead of running backs, became defensive players because they lacked something here or there to be a big time offensive playmaker

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

That's probably true about ease in filling. I was talking more about "importance". I still maintain it's tied for 3rd least at best on O.

Taking D? Probably. Could use a NT. Could use a pass rusher or a MLB.

Honestly more than anything, I'd prefer they trade down. If they're unable to do it and have to pick a guy? I'd really prefer they don't take Decastro but if they feel everybody else in positions that matter more would be too much of a reach, then I guess they're F-ed huh (from my prospective). Might as well take your guy.

Mecca
I've seen some of the Nick Perry stuff, and I've seen a ton of him, all the talent in the world is in that guy..not sure it's the best pick for us though.

Pawnmower
God, weren't people saying this same shit about safety two years ago? Drafting on position is archaic.

You don't turn your back on any position other than kicker/punter. Draft the best player. Not every first round pick is going to be Calvin Johnson. Get a starter, hopefully a pro bowler, but a solid, consistent starter, if nothing else.

this times elevnty gazillion when it comes to the top pick especially

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:42 PM

FB - That's easy.

It just isn't an impact position. Guards and Centers are scrub guys that can be filled easily in the draft. You going to spend a #11 pick on that? Of course not.

Difference is that with the old salary cap no one wanted to drop a crap ton of cash on a guard at #11. Now with the rookie cap being in place, teams are more willing to get a guard higher because they cost far less. There won't be as many late round gems as there used to be. Teams are drafting guards and centers more and more in the first round nowadays.

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 10:42 PM
It'd seem pretty damn stupid to pass on DeCastro because oh no position value.

It's not like they would be drafting him to be a fucking kicker.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
this times elevnty gazillion when it comes to the top pick especially

If you're looking for the safest, hey this guy will start for many years be good make some pro bowls then it's DeCastro or Kuechely.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
How many real difference makers are there at RB?

In the league?

Hmm...

AP
MJD
McFadden
Jamaal
Sproles
Lesean McCoy
Arian Foster
Marshawn Lynch
Matt Forte
Fred Jackson
Ray Rice

Possibly Demarco Murray, or he could have been a flash in the pan.

Any from the list you disagree with?

Because only three of those guys were first round picks. AP, Marshawn, and McFadden.

saphojunkie
03-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Difference is that with the old salary cap no one wanted to drop a crap ton of cash on a guard at #11. Now with the rookie cap being in place, teams are more willing to get a guard higher because they cost far less. There won't be as many late round gems as there used to be. Teams are drafting guards and centers more and more in the first round nowadays.

Yes. It's just a changing facet of an ever-changing game.

Will there still be late round gems? Of course. Guys come out of nowhere. But the days of KNOWING that a guy was a sure-fire contributor, starter from day one, and you could just sit on it, because - hey, no one drafts guards in the first...well, those days are looking to be over.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:47 PM
That's probably true about ease in filling. I was talking more about "importance". I still maintain it's tied for 3rd least at best on O.

Taking D? Probably. Could use a NT. Could use a pass rusher or a MLB.

Honestly more than anything, I'd prefer they trade down. If they're unable to do it and have to pick a guy? I'd really prefer they don't take Decastro but if they feel everybody else in positions that matter more would be too much of a reach, then I guess they're F-ed huh (from my prospective). Might as well take your guy.

You want a NT @ #11? Who is worth that? We are a team that does not have very many weaknesses left. We need depth, but you don't get that with a #11 pick. You draft starters. Our biggst weakness will not be addressed, so why not put another elite player on this team? Most of the elite ones will be gone by the time we pick (Luck, RGIII, Claiborne, Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon), so why not get an elite guard even if good ones can be found later. It's not like any NT is worth that pick, nor is there any QB outside of the two that will already be gone.

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna ask in this thread..who's the sleeper QB that people like here?

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM

Outside of the top two? Something in my gut likes Kellen Moore. I know it is not a sexy pick and many would disagree with it, but he seems to have "it" and if he were about 4-5 inches taller would probably be a 1st round pick.

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
You want a NT @ #11? Who is worth that? We are a team that does not have very many weaknesses left. We need depth.

Yeah I don't want Poe. As big of a need as NT is, Poe didn't dominate in college football. So pass.

This thread is all about "I want Decastro". If people get to say that then I get to say "I want a trade down".

That's my 1st choice. Now if they take Decastro I'll look at it this way. I'll say you shouldn't draft a Guard with that pick but by all accounts the kid is really good so I hope he ends up being great. In other words, I'll get over it.

Bowser
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM

I like Kellen Moore, even if he is short with a noodle arm. The guy just freaking wins. And the kid from San Diego State, I think. I'm blanking on his name....

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:53 PM

Isn't QB a moot point now with the signing of Quinn? They're not going to carry 4 QBs.

Sucks when you have Cassel wasting a roster spot huh? ;)

milkman
03-17-2012, 10:54 PM
In the league?

Hmm...

AP
MJD
McFadden
Jamaal
Sproles
Lesean McCoy
Arian Foster
Marshawn Lynch
Matt Forte
Fred Jackson
Ray Rice

Possibly Demarco Murray, or he could have been a flash in the pan.

Any from the list you disagree with?

Because only three of those guys were first round picks. AP, Marshawn, and McFadden.

I would argue about a couple of others, but the ones I really would argue are McFadden, since he can't stay healthy, Marshawn Lynch, since he lacks consistency, Sproles, since he's part time utility player.

Mecca
Man Kellen Moore throws the ball like it's a roll of toilet paper, it's one thing to lack the skills it's another to be short and have no arm..

I like Brock Osweiler all the talent is there if you let him sit for a bit.

Mecca
Isn't QB a moot point now with the signing of Quinn? They're not going to carry 4 QBs.

Sucks with you have Cassel wasting a roster spot huh? ;)

Quinn's so bad Stanzi and a rookie could beat him out.

Bowser
03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Man Kellen Moore throws the ball like it's a roll of toilet paper, it's one thing to lack the skills it's another to be short and have no arm..

Osweiler can look all world one play, then look worse than Palko the next. It would be a bitch trying to sack him, and he does have a cannon for an arm.....

suds79
03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Quinn's so bad Stanzi and a rookie could beat him out.

So you think they draft a QB and plan on cutting somebody? I just have a hard time seeing that.

MIAdragon
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Tennessee-Chattanooga B.J. Coleman

Mecca
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
So you think they draft a QB and plan on cutting somebody? I just have a hard time seeing that.

Quinn seems like a just in case move to me, I doubt he got any money. I wouldn't be surprised if they took another QB.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah I don't want Poe. As big of a need as NT is, Poe didn't dominate in college football. So pass.

This thread is all about "I want Decastro". If people get to say that then I get to say "I want a trade down".

That's my 1st choice. Now if they take Decastro I'll look at it this way. I'll say you shouldn't draft a Guard with that pick but by all accounts the kid is really good so I hope he ends up being great. In other words, I'll get over it.

Agree, I want to trade down first. Actually I want to trade out of the first altogether and get a first for next year. This scenario is assuming that we are stuck @ #11 this year.

KC Hawks
03-17-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm usually against drafting a guard in the first round, but by all accounts DeCastro is an elite prospect. I wouldn't be upset with that pick, and our o-line would be set for the next few years.

However, if Richardson were available, then I definitely want him over DeCastro.

suds79

I'd definitely like to see the Chiefs take a chance on Osweiler but given that they'd have to take him relatively early, it's hard to fathom.

milkman
Yes. It's just a changing facet of an ever-changing game.

Will there still be late round gems? Of course. Guys come out of nowhere. But the days of KNOWING that a guy was a sure-fire contributor, starter from day one, and you could just sit on it, because - hey, no one drafts guards in the first...well, those days are looking to be over.

I don't dismiss drafting gurad in the first round.

Just don't draft in the top 15.

tredadda
03-17-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't dismiss drafting gurad in the first round.

Just don't draft in the top 15.

But I don't see an elite Guard lasting past 15. Honestly what is the difference between drafting him at 11 and at 15 or 16?

tredadda
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm usually against drafting a guard in the first round, but by all accounts DeCastro is an elite prospect. I wouldn't be upset with that pick, and our o-line would be set for the next few years.

However, if Richardson were available, then I definitely want him over DeCastro.

Not I just because RBs have such a short shelf life and a player like Richardson would have to share the load with Charles. If he were the 270-300 carry a season workhorse back maybe. But with the way NFL offenses are geared now he won't be. DeCastro baring injury will be in there for every offensive play, regardless of whether it is first or third and long.

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I'd have to say Ryan Lindley. His 2011 season was disappointing, but I'd say losing the best coach San Diego State will probably ever have to Michigan and his top receiver to the NFL had something to do with that.

He's got all the physical tools, just needs to be paired with a good positional coach.

Oh Snap
03-17-2012, 11:31 PM
I remember watching a game a few years back during the DV era. The commentators were saying how Vermiel viewed the offensive line as the "foundation" for which to build a team. Your offense will only be as good as your protection/run blocking.

Interesting to note that Al Saunders "Scheme" didn't seem to do jack shit when he left for Washington, or any other place he went to to coach as OC. During his tenure at KC, he was god. Hell, anyone remember Derrick Blaylock looking all-pro behind that line? Same with LJ, he was a god amongst men when we had the best OL in the game. Trent Green, who was a serviceable QB, (but not great) put up peyton manning type numbers behind that OL in the early-to-mid 2000's. Then Roaf retired, Green gets his head knocked off, and is never the same.

I think that a GREAT OL can actually make a talentless QB like Cassel look quite good. However, 11th overall pick for a Guard? That might be a bit of a reach.

CoMoChief
03-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I remember watching a game a few years back during the DV era. The commentators were saying how Vermiel viewed the offensive line as the "foundation" for which to build a team. Your offense will only be as good as your protection/run blocking.

Interesting to note that Al Saunders "Scheme" didn't seem to do jack shit when he left for Washington, or any other place he went to to coach as OC. During his tenure at KC, he was god. Hell, anyone remember Derrick Blaylock looking all-pro behind that line? Same with LJ, he was a god amongst men when we had the best OL in the game. Trent Green, who was a serviceable QB, (but not great) put up peyton manning type numbers behind that OL in the early-to-mid 2000's. Then Roaf retired, Green gets his head knocked off, and is never the same.

I think that a GREAT OL can actually make a talentless QB like Cassel look quite good. However, 11th overall pick for a Guard? That might be a bit of a reach.

yup.

Cassel does suck though....but at least give him a great Oline for him to sit back there and allow him to hold onto the ball longer, because that's what he does.

CoMoChief
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM
I want DeCastro to be a Chief. The ideal scenario is to trade down and hopefully he'd be there in the 20's somewhere and KC could pick up another 2nd round pick. Our offense was badass under the DV era because of the Oline, plain and simple. If this organization is going to make the stupid decision and go with Cassel, at least give him one of the best Oline's in the NFL. Not sure if that will matter, but what other choice do we have? Cassel will be the starter, and we're all going to be pissed off.

1 - OG David DeCastro (STAN)
2 - NT Alameda Ta'amu (WASH)
2 - ILB Mychal Kendricks (CAL)
3 - DE Jared Crick (NEB)
3 - WR/KR Joe Adams (ARK)
4 - TE Orsen Charles (GA)
4 - WR Ryan Broyles (OU)
5 - OT Max Reynolds (BYU)
6 - ILB Vontaze Burfict (ASU)
7 - BPA

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Taking a safety 5th overall wasn't great value, but who cares? Eric Berry was a phenomenal talent. Taking a guard at 11 is not great value, but DeCastro is a phenomenal talent.

Seriously, who gives a fuck if he's a guard? First and foremost you need to take an impact player.

jd1020
03-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I want DeCastro to be a Chief. The ideal scenario is to trade down and hopefully he'd be there in the 20's somewhere and KC could pick up another 2nd round pick. Our offense was badass under the DV era because of the Oline, plain and simple. If this organization is going to make the stupid decision and go with Cassel, at least give him one of the best Oline's in the NFL. Not sure if that will matter, but what other choice do we have? Cassel will be the starter, and we're all going to be pissed off.

1 - OG David DeCastro (STAN)
2 - NT Alameda Ta'amu (WASH)
2 - ILB Mychal Kendricks (CAL)
3 - DE Jared Crick (NEB)
3 - WR/KR Joe Adams (ARK)
4 - TE Orsen Charles (GA)
4 - WR Ryan Broyles (OU)
5 - OT Max Reynolds (BYU)
6 - ILB Vontaze Burfict (ASU)
7 - BPA

In what dream are you living in?

Oh Snap
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm not saying its ideal...and it would probably mean that we are stuck with Cassel till he either drops dead or retires....But a great OL can hide a lot of weaknesses at certain positions. Just like we found out after Big willy roaf retired. LJ started to tank, Blaylock didn't do shit with the Jets, Al Saunders became a crappy OC, and Trent Green becam TrINT Green. The 2003 starting OL literally was an entire all-pro OL. Damn I wish we still had that line!

CoMoChief
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
In what dream are you living in?

Both players draft stocks have fallen massively because of character concerns.

They're talking about Burfict not even being drafted. Charles arrest takes him from being a 2nd round talent to being somewhere in 3-4 rd range.

I'd take a chance on Burfict in the 6th. Who cares it's a 6th rd pick. Most players drafted there won't see much playing time. But he was once considered a 1st rd talent and we're short at depth w/ ILB.

jd1020
03-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Both players draft stocks have fallen massively because of character concerns.

They're talking about Burfict not even being drafted. Charles arrest takes him from being a 2nd round talent to being somewhere in 3-4 rd range.

I'd take a chance on Burfict in the 6th. Who cares it's a 6th rd pick. Most players drafted there won't see much playing time. But he was once considered a 1st rd talent and we're short at depth w/ ILB.

Who is talking about Burfict as not being drafted?

milkman
03-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Taking a safety 5th overall wasn't great value, but who cares? Eric Berry was a phenomenal talent. Taking a guard at 11 is not great value, but DeCastro is a phenomenal talent.

Seriously, who gives a **** if he's a guard? First and foremost you need to take an impact player.

With the way the rules have been slanted to favor the passing game, the value of safety has increased, and those guys, as illustrated by Ronnie Lott, Darren Sharper, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, among others, have always been undervalued difference makers until the last 2 or 3 years.

Guards are not now, nor have they ever been, difference makers.

The top half of the draft should be dedicated to selecting difference makers.

Oh Snap
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM

Seriously, who gives a **** if he's a guard? First and foremost you need to take an impact player.

What if we traded down to get him at better value?

And Berry was a rare talent at Safety. Literally once in a decade type player. I haven't paid as much attention to College ball this year though. DeCastro might be legit, but gaurds are usually easy to come by.

Oh Snap
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
With the way the rules have been slanted to favor the passing game, the value of safety has increased, and those guys, as illustrated by Ronnie Lott, Daarren Sharp, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, among others, have always been undervalued difference makers until the last 2 or 3 years.

The top half of the draft should be dedicated to selecting difference makers.

this is also a good point. The league is a lot more pass happy, and the rules have changed. Good guards are a dimes a dozen. Good/elite safeties arnt.

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 11:51 PM

If only this were true. But it's not.

Having elite talent inside makes a hell of a difference. Just ask CJ2K

booger
03-17-2012, 11:52 PM
You can basically accomplish the same thing by drafting Konz and putting him at center and let Hudson play guard. I'm all for trading down. I think there will be team looking for a CB, OT, or RB. Let's make them pay.

that's the thing with Hudson, is which spot to put him at, C or LG. I agree with you on Konz and i would also put Cordy Glenn in there who could play G which he did in College and later move to either T spot and be protection if Albert doesn't resign as well. Either player Konz, Glenn, or Decastro i hope they would trade down and pick up some more picks

milkman
03-17-2012, 11:53 PM
If only this were true. But it's not.

Having elite talent inside makes a hell of a difference. Just ask CJ2K

Yeah, what would Jamaal Charles do without that elite talent he was running behind in '10?

Oh.........wait.

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 11:57 PM
or how much better he would of been with that elite talent

If he was running behind a player like Will Shields that Priest and LJ benefited hugely from, Arian Foster would of been left in the dust for the rushing title in 2010.

Bewbies
03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Wanting a G at 11 is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board. Ever.

milkman
03-18-2012, 12:03 AM

We are never going to agree on this.

I think great RB can do more for an O-line, and an offense, than a great guard can do for a RB and an offense.

Picking guard at #11 overall is an absolute waste of value.

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 12:05 AM
For the record, I'm not overly high on drafting a guard that high...but what direction are they going to go? Try to fit a square peg in a round hole by drafting Kuechly? Another 5 technique? I'd be cool with trading down first and foremost, but that's wishful thinking at this point.

milkman
03-18-2012, 12:05 AM

If he was running behind a player like Will Shields that Priest and LJ benefited hugely from, Arian Foster would of been left in the dust for the rushing title in 2010.

Running behind that line in it's totality was the difference, not just Will Shields.

That line was not the same before, or after Willie Roaf.

Shields was a great, HoF Guard, but Roaf was the difference maker.

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Running behind that line in it's totality was the difference, not just Will Shields.

That line was not the same before, or after Willie Roaf.

Shields was a great, HoF Guard, but Roaf was the difference maker.

They still had no issues running the ball once Roaf retired. Once Shields retired, it went to shit. That's not to argue that Roaf wasn't a difference maker though. Shields was a huge pillar on that offensive line for being just a guard.

xztop12
03-18-2012, 12:14 AM
so what about QB's. any good lefties coming up now that our RT is better than our left

milkman
03-18-2012, 12:22 AM
They still had no issues running the ball once Roaf retired. Once Shields retired, it went to shit. That's not to argue that Roaf wasn't a difference maker though. Shields was a huge pillar on that offensive line for being just a guard.

The offense dropped from 6th in points to 15th with the loss of Roaf.

In '02, the offense improved from 16th in points to 1st with the addition of Roaf.

Will Shields was with the team before and after Roaf.

Guard is not a difference maker.

xztop12
03-18-2012, 12:22 AM
DeCastro was so good that he was the best offensive lineman on a team that had the best QB prospect since John Elway, and that chose to run rather than pass because of its offensive line.

scho63
03-18-2012, 12:27 AM
If we want a guard......

Any thoughts on picking up Kyle Kosier in FA from Dallas? Too old? Can we get three good years from him? Late in career injuries?

He is being released

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 12:28 AM

In '02, the offense improved from 16th in points to 1st with the addition of Roaf.

There were more contributing reasons than just + Roaf and - Roaf. I still am not sure how you figure that guards are irrelevant.

milkman
03-18-2012, 12:32 AM
There were more contributing reasons than just + Roaf and - Roaf. I still am not sure how you figure that guards are irrelevant.

Yet, in the four years that Roaf was here, the offense was in the top ten in each of those years, in spite of other changes.

And I never said irrelevant, ony that guards are not difference makers, and as such, are not top 15 value picks.

pr_capone
03-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Prefer to trade down

to get Wisconsin C Konz

DO IT PIOLI!!!!

SNR
03-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Wait til you see the brand new David DeCastro! Why this sucker is practically unbustable! He won't bust and he can't bust. Take a look at how he's designed, I got these compartments installed all around his frame ya see? Let's say one of them busts, right? Bam. Huge hole in his game... gets too many holding penalties or whatever. Any other offensive guard would be a bust, but nope, not David DeCastro. He's got 16 of these compartments all around his frame, and up to four can bust and he'll still be good to go!

Ya see, he can't bust. He won't bust! He's the safest thing ya ever saw. Throw him in the middle of an ice field at top speed and he won't bust. I guarantee you!

OzarksChiefsFan
03-18-2012, 12:39 AM
If De Castro is the beast the scouts say he is he would be worth the pick.(Gaurds play a long time and cost much less than tackles) The Chiefs may have to gamble on Poe if he's there or take the best available player regardless of position. With all the FA activity this years draft will be very interesting.

pr_capone
03-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Wait til you see the brand new David DeCastro! Why this sucker is practically unbustable! He won't bust and he can't bust. Take a look at how he's designed, I got these compartments installed all around his frame ya see? Let's say one of them busts, right? Bam. Huge hole in his game... gets too many holding penalties or whatever. Any other offensive guard would be a bust, but nope, not David DeCastro. He's got 16 of these compartments all around his frame, and up to four can bust and he'll still be good to go!

Ya see, he can't bust. He won't bust! He's the safest thing ya ever saw. Throw him in the middle of an ice field at top speed and he won't bust. I guarantee you!

I DO NOT WANT DeCASTRO

I WOULD NOT LIKE HIM HERE OR THERE
I WOULD NOT LIKE HIM ANYWHERE

I DO NOT LIKE HIM IN OUR HOUSE
I DO NOT LIKE HIM WITH A MOUSE

SNR
03-18-2012, 12:43 AM
I DO NOT WANT DeCASTRO

I DO NOT LIKE HIM IN OUR HOUSE
I DO NOT LIKE HIM WITH A MOUSE
I WOULD NOT LIKE HIM ANYWHEREWhat? Not what I was going for at all.

Didn't they teach you about the Titanic in elementary school?

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 12:47 AM
And I never said irrelevant, ony that guards are not difference makers, and as such, are not top 15 value picks.
This is where we will continue to disagree, and that's cool.

My top choice would be the Dolphins scooping up Flynn (which prob. will happen) and some team getting desperate enough to move up ahead of the Seahawks to nab Tannehill that the Chiefs get a sweetheart deal to move down.

I'd rather move down and scoop up more picks to improve the dreadful depth at certain spots (or future picks) and nab someone like Hightower or Barron.

If the Chiefs are locked in selecting at 11, I don't know if I'd make a head scratching decision like Kuechly or Poe to avoid not taking a guard because of value. Making an awful pick because you want good value seems to trump drafting a guard in the top 15 for stupid drafting.

CoMoChief
03-18-2012, 12:50 AM

:spock:

Yeah the loss in production on offense had nothing to do w/ Trent Green going down and playing with Huard most of the season. Did you forget about that? That's kinda major ya know.

pr_capone
03-18-2012, 12:57 AM
What? Not what I was going for at all.

Didn't they teach you about the Titanic in elementary school?

didn't mean to quote you

SNR
03-18-2012, 01:05 AM
The only player I hope we don't take at the moment is Poe.

Everyone else... eh. All the players have good things about them. I can see us doing anything, and that would make me pretty happy

xztop12
03-18-2012, 01:27 AM
DeCastro was so good that he was the best offensive lineman on a team that had the best QB prospect since John Elway, and that chose to run rather than pass because of its offensive line.

xztop12
03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
The only player I hope we don't take at the moment is Poe.

Everyone else... eh. All the players have good things about them. I can see us doing anything, and that would make me pretty happy

i like Poe more than Kuchely because I think when you take a defensive player that high he has to be physically a freak. Defense is just too physical and Kuch gets pushed off the ball a lot.

Fritz88
03-18-2012, 01:40 AM
I'd want a passrusher. You can never get enough of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
i like Poe more than Kuchely because I think when you take a defensive player that high he has to be physically a freak. Defense is just too physical and Kuch gets pushed off the ball a lot.Lol.

Kuechly gets pushed off the ball a lot?

Have you SEEN Poe in a college game? He's fucking awful.

Brock Lesnar had elite physical measurables too. He didn't make it to the first round of cuts in the Vikings training camp.

Maybe Poe should go into MMA.

BossChief
03-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Our best hope is that Tanehill drops to our pick after Miami signs Flynn.

Either we take him, or somebody wants to give up a haul to move up in front of Seattle to take him.

I think either Tanehill or Richardson make it to 11 and somebody will be willing to move up to take one of them.

Slide back 6-10 picks and take bpa while adding another second or a future first would be best for this team.

Fritz88
03-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Our best hope is that Tanehill drops to our pick after Miami signs Flynn.

Either we take him, or somebody wants to give up a haul to move up in front of Seattle to take him.

I think either Tanehill or Richardson make it to 11 and somebody will be willing to move up to take one of them.

Slide back 6-10 picks and take bpa while adding another second or a future first would be best for this team.

I think Polio will trade down. That's how his papa BB does it. The question is, will there be anyone willing to trade up?
Posted via Mobile Device

chop
03-18-2012, 02:45 AM
If you're looking for the safest, hey this guy will start for many years be good make some pro bowls then it's DeCastro or Kuechely.

I'm not an expert when it comes to these players but I have been listening to many people who think they are both going to be studs in the NFL. I don't see anything wrong with picking guys up in the first round that are going to be major impact players for your team, regardless of position.

spanky 52
03-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Take the BPA. If it's DeCastro so be it. If it's Richardson, okay. Pioli has said his priority this year is to fix the OL. Winston is a nice start. Lilja is at the end of his career. There's no depth at OT, G or C. We need a NT but Poe scares me. I'm fine with DeCastro at 11.

DTLB58
03-18-2012, 03:31 AM

You sound like you know what you are talking about. But please stop using "Pro Bowls" as a status symbol for reward.

They start voting for them at week 8, voting ends before the season does and any 12 year-old with an internet connection can vote.

So can we ALL just stop this madness! It's nothing short of a popularity contest by a majority of people who don't really know football.

DTLB58
03-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Take the BPA. If it's DeCastro so be it. If it's Richardson, okay. Pioli has said his priority this year is to fix the OL. Winston is a nice start. Lilja is at the end of his career. There's no depth at OT, G or C. We need a NT but Poe scares me. I'm fine with DeCastro at 11.

Well that's just to easy peezy common sense for this place.

No whining or name calling comes from this solution. LMAO

evolve27
03-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Decastro would be our goal had we not signed Winston. Now we go after Tannehill or Trich

PGM
03-18-2012, 03:54 AM
I can has O-lineburger?

BryanBusby
03-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Decastro would be our goal had we not signed Winston. Now we go after Tannehill or Trich

Trent Richardson is not going to last till 11.