PDA

View Full Version : Assess the options for the first round pick

Nightfyre
03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Well? The first round pick is now purely a luxury. What say you, fellow draftabulators?

What is the best likely option if we stand pat?

If you were to trade down, how far would you trade down and what would you do with the new pick?

Frosty
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
I would like to trade down 5-6 picks and take Konz.

Nightfyre
03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
If I'm stuck at 11:
Option 1: Tannehill. Yes, he's a total luxury gamble at this point.
Option 2: DeCastro. He is the best player available at this point, but not the best positional value.
Option 3: Courtney Upshaw. I'm not sure Upshaw's skillset will entirely translate in the NFL.
Option 4: Janoris Jenkins. Top 5 talent with character question marks. Picking him here would remind me a bit of taking the gamble on Baldwin.
Option 5: Kendall Wright. Hear me out! This offense could use a burner (if we had a QB who could throw the ball more than 20 yards.)
Option 6: Michael Floyd. Probably the number 2 receiver on the draft board. Another Baldwin-type gamble.

Trade back: I think we should trade back into the 20-25 range and pick up a first for next year.

In that range, here are the options I would consider:
Option 1: Nick Perry. Supremely talented, but would probably require a little development.
Option 2: Peter Konz. Could lock down the center position for a long time and allow Hudson to stay at guard.
Option 3: Cordy Glenn. Could move Hudson to center and have Glenn lock down the Guard position and potentially provide tackle depth.
Option 4: Alameda Ta'amu. Could lock down the nose position for us. Fits perfectly in our scheme from last year. He could fall to us in the second.
Option 5: Michael Brockers. Allows us to trade Dorsey or cut ties with him if contract demands are unreasonable next year.
Option 6: Mark Barron. Pushes Eric Berry over to the free safety position and Lewis to depth.

whoman69
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
If I'm stuck at 11:
Option 1: Tannehill. Yes, he's a total luxury gamble at this point.
Option 2: DeCastro. He is the best player available at this point, but not the best positional value.
Option 3: Courtney Upshaw. I'm not sure Upshaw's skillset will entirely translate in the NFL.
Option 4: Janoris Jenkins. Top 5 talent with character question marks. Picking him here would remind me a bit of taking the gamble on Baldwin.
Option 5: Kendall Wright. Hear me out! This offense could use a burner (if we had a QB who could throw the ball more than 20 yards.)
Option 6: Michael Floyd. Probably the number 2 receiver on the draft board. Another Baldwin-type gamble.

Trade back: I think we should trade back into the 20-25 range and pick up a first for next year.

In that range, here are the options I would consider:
Option 1: Nick Perry. Supremely talented, but would probably require a little development.
Option 2: Peter Konz. Could lock down the center position for a long time and allow Hudson to stay at guard.
Option 3: Cordy Glenn. Could move Hudson to center and have Glenn lock down the Guard position and potentially provide tackle depth.
Option 4: Alameda Ta'amu. Could lock down the nose position for us. Fits perfectly in our scheme from last year. He could fall to us in the second.
Option 5: Michael Brockers. Allows us to trade Dorsey or cut ties with him if contract demands are unreasonable next year.
Option 6: Mark Barron. Pushes Eric Berry over to the free safety position and Lewis to depth.
Option 5: a burner with our QBs is like Jessica Alba marrying a blind man.

whoman69
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM

Assume we can't trade down.

Bowser
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I just do. not. want. Tannehill. Wait until a better QB crop comes out next year.

My preferences -

1) Trade back, into the 20's if possible

2) Trent Richardson

3) Donta' Hightower

4) DeCastro

DeezNutz
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Wright might end up being a poor man's Maclin, thus justifying the selection in a relatively weak draft class.

Moses Hightower wouldn't piss me off either.

DeezNutz
03-17-2012, 10:48 PM
1. Richardson
2. Jenkins

3. Decastro*
3. Hightower
3. Perry
3. Konz

*No doubt the supreme talent in this group. But, ****, he's a guard. No particular order in the final grouping.

Nightfyre
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Mock, assuming trade back to 19 with Bears, for a first next year.

1.19: Nick Perry - This guy has all the tools. Some RAC coaching love and he will be a third pass-rushing threat.
2.12: Alameda Ta'amu - With a prototypical nose tackle, this team is elevated up to a top-tier defense.
3.11: Audie Cole - Backs up DJ as a developmental guy.
4.12: Brandon Mosely - developmental tackle with a lot of potential
5.11: Vick Ballard - More RB depth is good.
6.12: Kheeston Randall - The guy has all the physical tools to be successful as a 3-4 end, but he is going to require an immense amount of coaching.
7.11: Elvis Akpla - Homer pick again. But this guy made big, clutch plays every game at Montana State. He made some terrific circus catches. He also has good vision for getting yards after the catch. He could improve at getting yards after contact. He made third round prospect Trumaine Johnson look like he was wearing clown shoes, even if that isn't reflected in the game stats.

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2012, 11:16 PM
1a)Luke Kuechly

1b)Dontari Poe

1c) David Decastro

if KC trades down because Tannehill or Richardson is available

1a) Hightower
1b) Kirkpatrick
1c) Jenkins

Saccopoo
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM

This.

Last year we drafted a guard in Rod Hudson that was one of the most dominant guards in college - ever. Don't screw with what you know to be very good. People around here keep mentioning the name of DeCastro, but Hudson was every bit as good as DeCastro and, IMO, better.

Konz is a dominating center that simply manhandled almost everyone he's ever gone up against. I would put him in the same league as Alex Mack and Maurkice Pouncey in terms of his production in college and potential at the next level. Wisconsin ran behind him a ton and was very successful doing it.

I think you'd want to trade down to 18 or make a trade with Chicago to get into the 19 spot if you wanted to make sure you had a legit shot at Konz.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPMVloAiCTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pr_capone
03-18-2012, 12:24 AM
This.

Last year we drafted a guard in Rod Hudson that was one of the most dominant guards in college - ever. Don't screw with what you know to be very good. People around here keep mentioning the name of DeCastro, but Hudson was every bit as good as DeCastro and, IMO, better.

Konz is a dominating center that simply manhandled almost everyone he's ever gone up against. I would put him in the same league as Alex Mack and Maurkice Pouncey in terms of his production in college and potential at the next level. Wisconsin ran behind him a ton and was very successful doing it.

I think you'd want to trade down to 18 or make a trade with Chicago to get into the 19 spot if you wanted to make sure you had a legit shot at Konz.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPMVloAiCTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been saying this exact same thing for a month now.

KONZ is a guy that needs to be in KC. Hudson needs to be at G, and with Winston getting signed... KC will have one of the absolute best o-lines in the NFL.

If Tannehill is still on the board when we pick there is a good chance KC could reap massive rewards.

patteeu
03-18-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm no draft expert, but I like the trade down a few spots and take the best center in the draft option.

tmax63
03-18-2012, 08:20 AM
The thing that I see is that, between all the Pioli-bashing and praise for Winston and wailing about Quinn, the Chiefs have put themselves in a position where they can take the best value player available without leaving a glaring need un-addressed. We can now debate best values at any given pick instead of which need is the greatest. I know, I know NT and QB are still needs but realistically they are the hardest to come by and there haven't been any really good options that have presented themselves. Manning didn't want to be here and would of wrecked the money side of it or at least limited what they could do, Orton is getting more to be a back-up at Dallas than Cassell is here, and once Soliai re-signed with the fish there are just journeymen available at NT. I remember a couple years ago when the Chiefs were trying to draft starters to fill holes and now we're talking about draft so-and-so for "insurance" if Albert or Bowe or somebody leaves NEXT year or if injuries hit this year. Much better position to discuss now IMHO.

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 09:15 AM
I think you do what you can to get an additional 1st rounder in 2013.

After that, I draft DeCastro and cement the offensive line.

But I'd be a fan of drafting Nick Perry, assuming we can't trade down.

If we do trade down to the 20s, I'd rather us just reach for Alameda Ta'amu.

Mr. Laz
03-18-2012, 09:39 AM
where's the trade down as far as it takes to get another 1st rounder in 2013 option?

the Talking Can
03-18-2012, 11:19 AM

ditto

if we can't move i take a long hard look at jenkins and perry

tannehill...damn, I'm as QB crazy as anyone...pioli has me cheering for a RT and passing on a QB...fml..they won't draft him anyways

i wish i could believe we're going to draft a QB next year, i wish pioli would wink at the camera or something

SNR
03-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I loved Konz before I loved any other player.

Mr. Laz
03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Really think Konz is worth a 1st round pick?

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 12:10 PM

I have him #20 on my big board.

SNR
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Really think Konz is worth a 1st round pick?Just as much as Decastro is worth a 1st round pick.

He's a smart center, fantastic size, good speed to get out in space, and can roadgrade defensive linemen like Eric Downing.

You know those 3rd/4th and short failed conversions we had last year?

Yeah, those won't be a problem any more.

Mr. Laz
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I have him #20 on my big board.
He's not particularly mobile for pulling/running our stretch plays.
He's not particularly strong to be a power house in the middle.

:shrug:

not saying he's isn't good but the 1st round???

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM

I don't think he's a good fit for the Chiefs. Wisconsin runs more of a power system.

SNR
03-18-2012, 12:22 PM

He's mobile enough.

Mr. Laz
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't think he's a good fit for the Chiefs. Wisconsin runs more of a power system.
so then do you take him for a system he doesn't particularly fit?

Is Daboll still going to run the same system?

we seem to be adding more power to our Oline ... maybe we are changing.

Nightfyre
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I like Perry's tool set a lot. I think he will be a tremendous player in the NFL. Probably better than Upshaw even, imo.

Direckshun
03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
so then do you take him for a system he doesn't particularly fit?

Is Daboll still going to run the same system?

we seem to be adding more power to our Oline ... maybe we are changing.

*I* don't take him at all. I let some other team take him.

*I* take DeCastro or a passrusher, or offer the #11 overall to somebody on a bargain to get a 1st rounder in 2013.

pr_capone
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Absolutely.

Saccopoo
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM

All day long.

He's as good as DeCastro is at his position AND he fills a position of need, when drafting DeCastro means that you are going to have to reassign someone, whether that be DeCastro, Hudson or Asamoah, to play the center position.

Konz is fantastic at reading a defense and calling the line. He is equally good at the snap/center exchange.

And he is strong. Don't let the 18 reps at the combine fool you. He absolutely destroys people off the snap. For a 6'5", 315 lbs. dude, he comes up and out exceptionally quick and simply engulfs defensive tackles. Puts a lot of guys on the ground, and Wisconsin ran behind him a lot. You don't see that much anymore at any level, but Konz demolishes the point of attack and opens massive holes. As SNR stated, you put Konz in the middle of Hudson, Asamoah and Winston? Short yardage is damn near a guarantee at that point.

whoman69
03-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Biggest problem in going with DeCastro is we really have no idea how well Hudson can play center.

BigChiefFan
03-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Konz is worth a first round pick, but no way I pick him at 11.

AustinChief
03-18-2012, 11:43 PM
All day long.

He's as good as DeCastro is at his position AND he fills a position of need, when drafting DeCastro means that you are going to have to reassign someone, whether that be DeCastro, Hudson or Asamoah, to play the center position.

Konz is fantastic at reading a defense and calling the line. He is equally good at the snap/center exchange.

And he is strong. Don't let the 18 reps at the combine fool you. He absolutely destroys people off the snap. For a 6'5", 315 lbs. dude, he comes up and out exceptionally quick and simply engulfs defensive tackles. Puts a lot of guys on the ground, and Wisconsin ran behind him a lot. You don't see that much anymore at any level, but Konz demolishes the point of attack and opens massive holes. As SNR stated, you put Konz in the middle of Hudson, Asamoah and Winston? Short yardage is damn near a guarantee at that point.

I like Konz and he is worth a 1st, but for our system, we'd be better off(value-wise) taking Molk in the 3rd or 4th.

AustinChief
03-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Biggest problem in going with DeCastro is we really have no idea how well Hudson can play center.

Exactly, I'm much more comfortable taking a true center and keeping Hudson at guard.

Tribal Warfare
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I've been saying this exact same thing for a month now.

KONZ is a guy that needs to be in KC. Hudson needs to be at G, and with Winston getting signed... KC will have one of the absolute best o-lines in the NFL.

If Tannehill is still on the board when we pick there is a good chance KC could reap massive rewards.

I'll say this KC supposedly attempted to trade up to get the "other" Pouncey twin last year.

Hog Farmer
03-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Who could we possibly lose next year as a free agent ? That's what needs to be drafted.

Nightfyre
03-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Who could we possibly lose next year as a free agent ? That's what needs to be drafted.

Albert, Dorsey and Bowe are the big ones off the top of my head.`

Nightfyre
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
My Revised Trade Down Preference after further reflection, is as follows:

1) Brockers - If we can trade Dorsey for a second.
2) Perry
3) Ta'amu - If we don't think we can get him in the second.
4) Konz
5) Glenn
6) Barron

BryanBusby
03-19-2012, 08:44 PM
:facepalm:

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Exactly, I'm much more comfortable taking a true center and keeping Hudson at guard.

Hudson played some center at Florida State.

Dude's going to be 100% fine at the position. He was the 2nd best center prospect in 2011.

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Albert, Dorsey and Bowe are the big ones off the top of my head.`

Bowe will be signed to a contract.

Albert will be franchised. Dorsey is the big loss there.

If the Chiefs think Bailey's not quite where he needs to be, DE is not that bad of an option at #11 if Brockers is still on the board.

I'm betting Brockers is gone, however, to the Panthers.

Direckshun
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Assuming the Chiefs can't trade down, I'd order the players thusly:

DeCastro

Perry

Kuechly
Tannehill
Brockers

Jenkins/Kirkpatrick

Upshaw

Poe

El Jefe
03-20-2012, 02:09 PM
My Revised Trade Down Preference after further reflection, is as follows:

1) Brockers - If we can trade Dorsey for a second.
2) Perry
3) Ta'amu - If we don't think we can get him in the second.
4) Konz
5) Glenn
6) Barron

whoman69
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
I like Konz and he is worth a 1st, but for our system, we'd be better off(value-wise) taking Molk in the 3rd or 4th.

System wise our interior got pushed around last year. We had no push as evidenced by our lack of rushing touchdowns. I'm coming to the notion that our best move is to hope Richardson or Tannenhill falls to us so we can trade down and get Konz. Now that Peyton is elsewhere, there is no need to hold onto Lilja unless he agrees to be a backup.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
I don't get the Brockers hate. The guy is a better TJax available later in the draft.

talastan
03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Option 5: a burner with our QBs is like Jessica Alba marrying a blind man.

Can I be the blind man? :hmmm:

AustinChief
03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Bowe will be signed to a contract.

Albert will be franchised. Dorsey is the big loss there.

If the Chiefs think Bailey's not quite where he needs to be, DE is not that bad of an option at #11 if Brockers is still on the board.

I'm betting Brockers is gone, however, to the Panthers.

If we franchise Albert, we are idiots. No way has he ever deserved that kind of money. He has never been a top 10 LT, ever. I'm guessing we extend him with a nice solid contract but nothing like "franchise" money. (unless of course he makes a significant leap forward this year)

whoman69
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Can I be the blind man? :hmmm:

But you're not really blind...oh, I see where this is going.

whoman69
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Hudson played some center at Florida State.

Dude's going to be 100% fine at the position. He was the 2nd best center prospect in 2011.

I still believe he's better at guard with only limited experience at center. The question becomes the DeCastro at G, Hudson at C or Hudson at G, Konz at C.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Both routes are fairly appealing. You can trickle back a little further and pick up Konz, so if the option is there and the compensation worthwhile, you probably do that. If you are looking exclusively at both options.

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think we are picking Brockers. Jackson/Brockers would parallel Warren/Seymour, imo.

aturnis
03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
If we franchise Albert, we are idiots. No way has he ever deserved that kind of money. He has never been a top 10 LT, ever. I'm guessing we extend him with a nice solid contract but nothing like "franchise" money. (unless of course he makes a significant leap forward this year)

This.

Nightfyre
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I think the best case scenario is that Coples falls to 11 and we dangle him to the Bears (Phil Emery) for pick 19 and a first next year.

Bewbies
03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I'll be honest, CHI is a legit SB contender next year, would rather get a 1 from someone else for next year.

SNR
03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I'll be honest, CHI is a legit SB contender next year, would rather get a 1 from someone else for next year.Nah not really