PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Welp, this changes draft strategy

saphojunkie
03-19-2012, 12:04 PM
We have to be looking defense.

Forget Trent Richardson, or David DeCastro, or anything other than getting after the quarterback.

The focus has to be making the defense ready for an onslaught of offense.

First of all, Pioli should be on the phone with Kamerion Wimbley's agent already. Secondly, if it's Poe or Melvin Ingram or Michael Brockers, we absolutely have to get more push on the pocket from our front seven.

Houston is looking better, and he might be a legit pass rusher, we cannot stand pat. One injury to him or Tamba, and we are staring at another sack total under 25.

We have to have more depth and more talent in the front seven.

Any other ideas for getting after The Forehead?

Setsuna
03-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Barron 11th pick overall. Or trade down and still get Barron.

DaKCMan AP
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Just change our jerseys to the Florida Gators jerseys whenever we play Denver. Manning can't beat Florida.

KCtotheSB
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Pass rushers, lots and lots of pass rushers.

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Safeties lots & lots of safeties

mr. tegu
03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with getting Wimbley in here now for sure.

dannybcaitlyn
Corner or pass rusher

suds79

This.

Never can have too many. As it stands now, we only have 2 in Hali & Houston. And Houston isn't exactly a proven commodity.

Should hedge their bets and draft another.

Mr. Laz
probably should of kept Carr and Routt

we are going to be in the nickle a ton

Flowers,Carr,Berry,Routt

draft another pass rusher like Nick Perry

coverage and pass rushing FTW

SNR
03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
The NT need now becomes a little more urgent. We may end up reaching for a guy, which I'm fine with as long as it isn't Poe. Besides, Tampa looks to be drafting him at #5 or so I've heard.

A guy like Upshaw would be swell. So would Nick Perry. Barron is also good, just so our safeties are nice and deep, and we don't have to worry about Passthespaghetti whiffing on those 15-yard outs.

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Barron 11th pick overall. Or trade down and still get Barron.

Uhhhhh we have Eric Berry.

suds79
probably should of kept Carr and Routt

we are going to be in the nickle a ton

Flowers,Carr,Berry,Routt

draft another pass rusher like Nick Perry

coverage and pass rushing FTW

Like Nick Perry the more I see. Seems pretty quick around the corner.

Would be happy with a trade down and snagging him.

Bowser
Watch them go after Jenkins after we let Carr walk on a contract we could have easily matched, if we had wanted.

Direckshun

Yes

and

Safeties lots & lots of safeties

Yes

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2012, 12:11 PM
You can't get to Manning and you can't play off or he'll pick you apart. You need to score and often and even then you might not win.

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree with getting Wimbley in here now for sure.

Too expensive.

Corner or pass rusher

Yes.

Bowser
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
You can't get to Manning and you can't play off or he'll pick you apart. You need to score and often and even then you might not win.

I love the smell of over confident Bronco fan in the morning.

saphojunkie
This.

Never can have too many. As it stands now, we only have 2 in Hali & Houston. And Houston isn't exactly a proven commodity.

Should hedge their bets and draft another.

I just really like the idea of Wimbley.

-Drafted by Romeo
-From Witchita
-knows the division
-gets consistent production

Rotate him in with Tamba and Houston, and this would allow us to draft Poe or Kuechly or a defensive back.

Direckshun
Watch them go after Jenkins after we let Carr walk on a contract we could have easily matched, if we had wanted.

Jenkins @ 11 overall + Routt = Carr

contract wise, anyway

Direckshun

Hali didn't seem to have much trouble.

suds79
03-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Given that Peyton is 36 and the Giants have demonstrated what a good pass rush will do for you, I'll place the game on the 1st part of your post.

If we can get to him and raddle him (just like any QB), you win.

If we can't? We lose.

Bowser
03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Jenkins @ 11 overall + Routt = Carr

contract wise, anyway

One thing for sure, we could definitely use three solid top corners, even more now that Manning is in Denver. Flowers and the rook outside, Routt on Dallas Clark (you know he wil sign there).

tyton75
03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I may have missed something, but doesn't Denver's O-line kinda suck anyway?

While Peyton is WAY better than Tebow, he can't move like Tebow; and if he is standing back there like he likes to do, we'll rip his head off

DeezNutz
03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Jenkins.

Bowser
03-19-2012, 12:16 PM

While Peyton is WAY better than Tebow, he can't move like Tebow; and if he is standing back there like he likes to do, we'll rip his head off

In pass protection, yes. But Manning will make them better with his quick release and his ability to actually read a defense.

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
You guys are forgetting about Javier Arenas. We're fine with our nickelback -- he showed well last season in the slot.

We need depth at corner and safety. It's not worth burning a first on.

You can still take DeCastro or a passrusher at #11.

Don't overreact, continue building your team the right way.

tyton75
03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
You guys are forgetting about Javier Arenas. We're fine with our nickelback -- he showed well last season in the slot.

Agreed

Setsuna
03-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Berry can't be in 2 places at once. You must not watch football at all.

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
You can burn two midrounders on secondary depth, then maybe a 6th or 7th rounder for good measure.

Add a few more key pieces like Travis Daniels for good measure. Daniels did his job well last year as dime back.

Bowser

I wasn't saying they SHOULD do it, just saying I could definitely see them doing it.

Mainly it was just a not too subtle bitch session of letting Carr walk on my part.

Direckshun
Berry can't be in 2 places at once. You must not watch football at all.

Berry does his job.

We do not play in constant packages that warrant two strongs on the field at the same time.

Barron is a waste of a pick, and he's not as versatile as Berry.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Dre Kirkpatrick

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I wasn't saying they SHOULD do it, just saying I could definitely see them doing it.

Mainly it was just a not too subtle bitch session of letting Carr walk on my part.

Ah.

I honestly think we're fine at corner if we resign Travis Daniels. He's a good depth corner.

Flowers, Routt
Arenas @ nickel
Daniels & Jalil Brown at depth

Safety is where this team needs a major upgrade. Corner's almost there.

saphojunkie
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Am I the only person that saw Kendrick Lewis consistently in a position to make plays last year? I think we need a backup safety, and if you take Barron you pretty much insure that Lewis becomes that.

I think we need to get after the quarterback, and it will make our secondary look a hell of a lot better.

mr. tegu
03-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Am I the only person that saw Kendrick Lewis consistently in a position to make plays last year? I think we need a backup safety, and if you take Barron you pretty much insure that Lewis becomes that.

I think we need to get after the quarterback, and it will make our secondary look a hell of a lot better.

I agree completely. Lewis is a good safety who will be even better with Berry back in the lineup. With more pass rushing they get that much better.

Direckshun
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Lewis is not a strength of the defense, but he is not a weakness, either.

He COULD be upgraded, but we have more pressing matters at nose tackle and passrusher.

Mr. Laz
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Lewis was fine as long as he was playing centerfield, he has a nose for the ball.

but ask him to actually cover anyone or come up, make an open field tackle and you better cross your fingers and toes.

Bowser
03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Ah.

I honestly think we're fine at corner if we resign Travis Daniels. He's a good depth corner.

Flowers, Routt
Arenas @ nickel
Daniels & Jalil Brown at depth

Safety is where this team needs a major upgrade. Corner's almost there.

Safety and pass rush. I like Houston and Hali, but we need another guy that can get that can be counted on to disrupt opponents. On that front, I'm open to suggestions, be it OLB, ILB, or even an athletic d-end we can put in on passing downs.

dallaschiefsfan
03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
While I didn't like the move at all, it's actually fortuitous that we hired Crennell. Even with our current defense, his schemes have historically given elite QB's fits. We're actually primed to go against a QB like Manning twice a year. Can we actually score with our offense? That depends on our running game...because Cassel sux.

Either way, bring it on Donkeys. Looking forward to seeing Manning on the ground.

Pestilence
03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I would go OLB in the 1st.

KCDC

This. Plus, Arenas is an excellent blitzing corner.

Mr. Laz
Crennel doesn't like to blitz so i guess maybe Nick Perry might be a good pick.

normally it wouldn't be my first choice

mr. tegu
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Too expensive.

Yes.

What kind of money is he looking for?

Mr. Laz
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I would go OLB in the 1st.
depth in the 1st?

or are you going to replace either Hali or Houston.

Pestilence
03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
depth in the 1st?

or are you going to replace either Hali or Houston.

I wouldn't really consider it depth. I'm sure Crennel can figure out a way to get all three on the field and you could have a ton of different nickle packages.

Bowser
03-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Crennel doesn't like to blitz so i guess maybe Nick Perry might be a good pick.

normally it wouldn't be my first choice

Our defense picked up and made noise the second part of the season last year when Romeo decided to bring the pressure. We are an EXCELLENT blitzing defense.

O.city
03-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Said it even before this whole Manning thing, give me Nick Perry in the first.

Chapman in the third or fourth.

angelo
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM

What about moving Berry to Free safety and Barron to Strong.

Ang

Bowser
03-19-2012, 12:37 PM
What about moving Berry to Free safety and Barron to Strong.

Ang

Kendrick Lewis has proven he belongs on the field. I wouldn't substitute Lewis for a rookie.

kcpasco
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
No way you move Berry to free safety. Berry is a fucking beast in stopping the run.

okiedokieokoye
03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I know the ILB position is usually meant for run stopping, but how nice would it be to have someone like a Kuechly over a Belcher that could actually sack the QB? Guy is a tackling machine.

Frankie
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I said it in another thread. If we draft a D-lineman or a LB, I WANT A PEYTON EATER.

Any suggestions?

Mr. Laz
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Our defense picked up and made noise the second part of the season last year when Romeo decided to bring the pressure. We are an EXCELLENT blitzing defense.I didn't say we couldn't blitz, i said Crennel doesn't seem to like to blitz.

last i saw, we were near the bottom in number of blitzes

Crennel seems to rather rely on Hali for pressure and drop 7 into coverage.

Our 2-gap Dlinemen have to engage blockers before they can rush the passer so their pressure comes late and slowly.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I know the ILB position is usually meant for run stopping, but how nice would it be to have someone like a Kuechly over a Belcher that could actually sack the QB? Guy is a tackling machine.

How many collegiate sacks did Kuechly have?

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

This.

If we go defense in the 1st, then Belcher is the guy to replace. Aside from NT, Belcher is the next weakest link on that D.

His inability to cover is something teams can expose.

But ultimately, you need an offense that can score if you're going to beat Manning. If you can't put up at least 21, you probably aren't winning, and the Chiefs struggle to put up 14.

milkshock
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
have to go D. Is Ingram gong to be available at 11?

SNR
03-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Also, I hope this will shut up the people who want to draft Kuechly.

We're not replacing Belcher when he attacks the gaps in run defense like a pro. Shutting down Peyton's options is just as important as getting inside his head.

Oh, and there's also that tiny detail that Kuechly doesn't even play Belcher's position. He would be a backup to DJ.

You want Kuechly as a prowler who does multiple things, like Derrick does. Belcher is a thumper

angelo
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
No way you move Berry to free safety. Berry is a ****ing beast in stopping the run.

I agree, however he is also a ball hawk in an Ed Reed sort of way.
I like both Berry and Lewis. I would not take Barron at 11 but would if we traded down into the late 20's.

It is just a thought. I would take a pass rusher in the first or trade down and fill out the line. Take a nose in the second and possibly Harrison Smith in the third if he is there.

There is a kid from Kansas State who should be available in the 6th for free safety Tysyn Hartman. .

Ang

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
How many collegiate sacks did Kuechly have?

Don't know and not really worried about it. Even if he's not a pass rusher, he's an immediate upgrade over what's there now.

NT and ILB and the two most important needs on that D IMO.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Don't know and not really worried about it. Even if he's not a pass rusher, he's an immediate upgrade over what's there now.

How was Belcher a handicap to the team last year?

ChiefsCountry
We don't have to do shit. Just get the best player available either offense or defense. Keep building a stacked roster across the board.

Bowser

^

Belcher is a solid player and excellent depth. I'm hoping our curent Powe can stand up this offseason and move into that spot, but another nose would be nice, just in case.

Idahojim
03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
The way to beat Manning is to keep him off the field. Look at the new offense. I can imagine a lot of clock eating drives. The Chiefs should win the time of possession just about every game to be successful.

SNR
03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Did Belcher fuck all your mothers or something? Why do you guys hate him?

He's like Kendrick Lewis. He does his job when the pieces around him are working smoothly.

Also, let me repeat, KUECHLY DOESN'T DO WHAT BELCHER DOES.

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
How was Belcher a handicap to the team last year?

Never said he did. I have no problem with Belcher. I like Belcher and have always defended the guy here.

He's a solid player.

But we're talking about upgrading here.

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Did Belcher **** all your mothers or something? Why do you guys hate him?

He's like Kendrick Lewis. He does his job when the pieces around him are working smoothly.

Also, let me repeat, KUECHLY DOESN'T DO WHAT BELCHER DOES.

Hate?

Calm down bro.

Like I said, I like Belcher.

Fuck, I made the first and only Jovan Belcher appreciation thread.

But Belcher's spot can be upgraded.

And Since Kuechly has never played in the NFL, you can't sit here and say what he can't or wont do in Romeo's D.

spanky 52
03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
We don't have to do shit. Just get the best player available either offense or defense. Keep building a stacked roster across the board.

Agreed. I think there's a bit of over reaction on here today. BPA in the first two rounds and depth in the rest.

saphojunkie
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Agreed. I think there's a bit of over reaction on here today. BPA in the first two rounds and depth in the rest.

BPA is misleading. You don't draft the best player available if it's a tackle, do you? What about if the best player is a 3-4 defensive end?

What about a wide receiver?

You have to take need into consideration at some point. St. Louis wouldn't have drafted RG3 if they were stuck at the second pick.

SNR
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Hate?

Calm down bro.

Like I said, I like Belcher.

Fuck, I made the first and only Jovan Belcher appreciation thread.

But Belcher's spot can be upgraded.

And Since Kuechly has never played in the NFL, you can't sit here and say what he can't or wont do in Romeo's D.I can't say what Alameda Ta'amu can't or won't do in Romeo's D either. All I know is I'm not going to draft him to stand up next to Tamba Hali and rush the passer.

This would be like the Bears only choosing defensive coverages that keep Urlacher close to the line of scrimmage, and never let him chase down stretch plays, rush the passer, or even jump back into deep coverage. Kuechly's as athletic as Urlacher. You want to make the most of his talents.

spanky 52
03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
BPA is misleading. You don't draft the best player available if it's a tackle, do you? What about if the best player is a 3-4 defensive end?

What about a wide receiver?

You have to take need into consideration at some point. St. Louis wouldn't have drafted RG3 if they were stuck at the second pick.

Point well taken but I've seen this team reach too many times.

dallaschiefsfan
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM

So true...

Apparently we've become so used to average QB play in the West (yes...I'm including the pretend-elite named Rivers) that we freak out when an actual elite shows up.

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I can't say what Alameda Ta'amu can't or won't do in Romeo's D either. All I know is I'm not going to draft him to stand up next to Tamba Hali and rush the passer.

This would be like the Bears only choosing defensive coverages that keep Urlacher close to the line of scrimmage, and never let him chase down stretch plays, rush the passer, or even jump back into deep coverage. Kuechly's as athletic as Urlacher. You want to make the most of his talents.

And what would stop him from doing that in Romeo's D?

That's the worst argument I've ever heard for not drafting an elite talent.

I'd Rather have TWO DJ's than one. And let them both fly all over the field.

That makes no sense at all.

And before you go onto this "he has to be a thumper blah blah blah" rant, i think that's complete BS.

Great defenses, and great defensive players are versatile. Berry is great because he's versatile. DJ had a stand out year as both a run stopper, and in pass coverage.

So don't feed me any "He has to be a specific TYPE of LB'er" non sense.

Great players will make great plays.

Period.

And Loading up on great players, even if that means replacing solid/average ones is never a bad idea.

Dragonocho
03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I was thinking that if a 36 year old came to work in my office off of 3 neck surgeries in the past year or so I'd worry about potential absenteeism problems. I'm glad the Broncos took this flyer and while I hope Peyton stays healthy I'm doubtful. He should have retired a Colt. This won't go well for him.

Saul Good
03-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm not inclined to change my draft strategy just because a team in the division signed a fossil of a QB with a broken neck.

Chiefnj2
Never said he did. I have no problem with Belcher. I like Belcher and have always defended the guy here.

He's a solid player.

But we're talking about upgrading here.

I understand. When I watched the team last year the struggles on D appeared to be (a) lack of a pass rush (in large part due to Romeo's scheme), and (b) poor safety play.

I'm sure he missed some tackles here and there, but for the most part I don't recall saying "Boy, if KC got rid of Belcher this team would be so much better".

You are talking about upgrading Belcher, so I was just wondering what part of his game you felt was really lacking.

Mr. Laz
I can't say what Alameda Ta'amu can't or won't do in Romeo's D either. All I know is I'm not going to draft him to stand up next to Tamba Hali and rush the passer.

couldn't wimbley do the same thing and let us upgrade another position in the draft?

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I understand. When I watched the team last year the struggles on D appeared to be (a) lack of a pass rush (in large part due to Romeo's scheme), and (b) poor safety play.

I'm sure he missed some tackles here and there, but for the most part I don't recall saying "Boy, if KC got rid of Belcher this team would be so much better".

You are talking about upgrading Belcher, so I was just wondering what part of his game you felt was really lacking.

Versatility. Elite Play making ability.

I'm going on the presumption that Houston is going to make strides in year 2. I'd at least like to give him a shot before drafting another OLB in the 1st to rush the passer.

So what's better for this D as far as a round 1 prospect goes?

A new starter at ILB with versatility and Elite Play making abilities, or depth behind Hali/Houston and Lewis/Berry?

And I do agree that we need depth behind both, but 1st rounders aren't for depth. Not for us yet at least.

saphojunkie
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I understand people saying "don't change your whole strategy because a team in your division has a QB now!"

But...

You have to look at your division first. You have to beat the teams in your division before you can worry about winning your non-divisional games. And it's not like our pass rush was outstanding before. You can't deny that: A) we need to improve the pass rush, and B) we are at the bottom of the division in QB play. Maybe Raiders are worse, but we certainly aren't at the top.

We have to think about adding another dynamic defender.

dallaschiefsfan
03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
In my mind...whether it's via the draft or free agency depth, you have to account for two things. We still need a NT to get this defense up to its potential. You need to ensure you have enough players to adequately cover the tight end...because I'm pretty sure Donkeys will be adding another TE or two. Clark, probably.

Mr. Laz
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
In my mind...whether it's via the draft or free agency depth, you have to account for two things. We still need a NT to get this defense up to its potential. You need to ensure you have enough players to adequately cover the tight end...because I'm pretty sure Donkeys will be adding another TE or two. Clark, probably.tightends have been a major problem because Lewis can't cover man-to-man worth a shit.

O.city
03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
IMO we dont really need edge passrushers, we need a guy that can collapse the pocket from the middle.

Josh Chapman, come on down.

Brock
03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
No,this doesn't change draft strategy. We already were lacking in pass rushers.

nascher
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
We still need some Safety help before the draft we only have to "damaged" starters and nothing behind them. Everybody else is a Free Agent.

vailpass
03-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Then be ready to be the first team to rack up 200 yards in roughing the QB calls. Just for thinking that.

kcpasco
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Then be ready to be the first team to rack up 200 yards in roughing the QB calls. Just for thinking that.

Ya but without a head he can't finish the season. That's worth 200 yards of penalties.

L.A. Chieffan
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
this thread is lame

okiedokieokoye
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM

You sure as shit don't want someone as talented as Urlacher on your team. What a travesty that would be.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
No,this doesn't change draft strategy. We already were lacking in pass rushers.

Do you mean OLB or a DE that can rush the passer, or both?

I think Houston showed some promise last year.

Brock
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Do you mean OLB or a DE that can rush the passer, or both?

I think Houston showed some promise last year.

I mean even with Hali being on fire the Chiefs were bottom 3 in sacks. I'm not running down Houston, but I'm not ready to say we don't need to add some more.

Saul Good
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Hali would be more effective if he could take a play off here and there.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
I mean even with Hali being on fire the Chiefs were bottom 3 in sacks. I'm not running down Houston, but I'm not ready to say we don't need to add some more.

Forgetting the whole argument of not another DE, do you think it would be more beneficial to add another OLB or a DE that can rush rush the passer?

El Jefe
03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
tightends have been a major problem because Lewis can't cover man-to-man worth a shit.

Yes, and Manning made Tamme look like Aaron Hernandez, Manning loves using his TE's, and even if they are mediocre, he can make them look great.

Setsuna
03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
I was thinking that if a 36 year old came to work in my office off of 3 neck surgeries in the past year or so I'd worry about potential absenteeism problems. I'm glad the Broncos took this flyer and while I hope Peyton stays healthy I'm doubtful. He should have retired a Colt. This won't go well for him.

You aren't glad. Stop lying you resentful noob.

SNR
03-19-2012, 04:52 PM
And what would stop him from doing that in Romeo's D?

That's the worst argument I've ever heard for not drafting an elite talent.

I'd Rather have TWO DJ's than one. And let them both fly all over the field.

That makes no sense at all.

And before you go onto this "he has to be a thumper blah blah blah" rant, i think that's complete BS.

Great defenses, and great defensive players are versatile. Berry is great because he's versatile. DJ had a stand out year as both a run stopper, and in pass coverage.

So don't feed me any "He has to be a specific TYPE of LB'er" non sense.

Great players will make great plays.

Period.

And Loading up on great players, even if that means replacing solid/average ones is never a bad idea.I'm not saying ONLY THUMPERS CAN PLAY THAT SPOT. I'm saying it's a ridiculous idea to take a young, steadily improving player like Belcher who has yet to reach his full potential and is already playing at a high level and then replace him with someone like Kuechly whose strengths as a linebacker don't exactly fit the needs of our corps of guys right now. We didn't hear this kind of discussion about replacing Brandon Carr a couple seasons ago. Nobody wants to do this to Kendrick Lewis. Remember how hard Jamaal Charles balled after we cut LJ in 2009? And then we drafted McCluster to do what... Jamaal Charles does? People were fucking furious.

Kuechly's a good player. He's a fantastic player. And there are other fantastic players who are going to be available when we pick that will fulfill a need or create some youth at a position that's getting up there in years instead of taking out guys that are so close to becoming excellent starters like Belcher.

Lastly, I hate to say it. I really do. But scheme/style DOES matter. For instance, it's usually not a smart idea to draft any ol' DT just because they were the best player available, and not you're going to find ways to make his talents work in the scheme. It usually doesn't work that way. Al Davis used to draft that way. Good players are good players... except when you need them to do specific tasks that they're not used to. They have the potential to learn, sure, but if faced with a decision between drafting Courtney Upshaw and Luke Kuechly, I'm taking Upshaw every fucking time. Rarely do you find a player that transcends scheme and position and is simply an athlete/player that you MUST HAVE on the roster. The last player like that i've seen was Ndamukong Suh.

If Kuechly ever dominates the NFL like Ndamukong Suh does, I'll eat my feces.

HighChief
03-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Well at least our coach is one of the few that really know how to beat manning ;) Just looking for the bright side lol

Shox
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Belcher is not going to be a top LB ever, ever, ever. He is what he is a solid NFL LB.

Our top need by far is NT (excluding QB of course).

Needs:
1. NT

2. Pass rushers

3. G
4. DB/Safety depth
5. RB

Detoxing
03-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm not saying ONLY THUMPERS CAN PLAY THAT SPOT. I'm saying it's a ridiculous idea to take a young, steadily improving player like Belcher who has yet to reach his full potential and is already playing at a high level and then replace him with someone like Kuechly whose strengths as a linebacker don't exactly fit the needs of our corps of guys right now. We didn't hear this kind of discussion about replacing Brandon Carr a couple seasons ago. Nobody wants to do this to Kendrick Lewis. Remember how hard Jamaal Charles balled after we cut LJ in 2009? And then we drafted McCluster to do what... Jamaal Charles does? People were ****ing furious.

Kuechly's a good player. He's a fantastic player. And there are other fantastic players who are going to be available when we pick that will fulfill a need or create some youth at a position that's getting up there in years instead of taking out guys that are so close to becoming excellent starters like Belcher.

Lastly, I hate to say it. I really do. But scheme/style DOES matter. For instance, it's usually not a smart idea to draft any ol' DT just because they were the best player available, and not you're going to find ways to make his talents work in the scheme. It usually doesn't work that way. Al Davis used to draft that way. Good players are good players... except when you need them to do specific tasks that they're not used to. They have the potential to learn, sure, but if faced with a decision between drafting Courtney Upshaw and Luke Kuechly, I'm taking Upshaw every ****ing time. Rarely do you find a player that transcends scheme and position and is simply an athlete/player that you MUST HAVE on the roster. The last player like that i've seen was Ndamukong Suh.

If Kuechly ever dominates the NFL like Ndamukong Suh does, I'll eat my feces.

Ok, so you're not ok benching Belcher for Kuechley but you're ok with Benching Houston for Upshaw?

While Belcher has been improving, he has yet to show that he's capable of being anything more than a good, disciplined run defender. Belcher's upside doesn't appear to be anything close to what Kuechley's is.

Taking Upshaw over Kuechley makes absolutely no sense to me. Taking Kuechly gives us a brand new starter who has more potential than Belcher.

Drafting Upshaw would mean that we just spent a top 15 pick on a depth player. He wouldn't even see half the playing time on this roster that Kuechely would see. At BEST he would be splitting time with Houston. A top 15 pick for a guy who'll be a part time player for the next 3 years? Really?

Kuechly next to DJ would give our defense multiple options as both are talented, versatile backers.

Belcher is limited in his ability. Kuechly isn't as limited. Therefore, he's an upgrade. He would make more of a difference starting over Belcher than Upshaw would splitting time with Houston.

philfree
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I'd rather have Hightower but #11 is to early to pick him.

The thing about Hightower is that he has some ability to rush the passer from the ILB position as well as be the thumper.

saphojunkie
03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Bill Williamson is jumping on the bandwagon. This just proves that any of us could do his job at least as well.

Pressure is on defenses in AFC West
6:20 PM ET

By Bill Williamson

Richard Seymour joked about sleepless nights and Shaun Phillips tweeted about needing to more work out.

Yes, the defenses of the AFC West have been put on notice. Peyton Manning, one of the best players in the NFL if his neck woes are behind him, is joining the division as the new quarterback of the Denver Broncos.

The Manning signing will likely have an effect on the thinking of the three other teams in the AFC West when it comes to making additions this offseason. It’s got to be defense, defense, defense.

That was probably where the three teams were probably leaning toward concentrating on in the draft, anyway.

Kansas City -- coached by Romeo Crennel, whose defenses played well against Manning while he was the defensive coordinator in New England –- will likely look to upgrade on the defensive front and at linebacker early in the draft. The Chiefs loaded up on offense in free agency.

The Raiders have signed veteran cornerbacks Ronald Bartell and Shawntae Spencer. The Raiders will need the experience with Manning gunning for them.

San Diego will look for a pass-rusher in the draft's first round and may add some defensives pieces in free agency. It has also signed Baltimore linebacker Jarret Johnson.

The landscape of the division was rocked by this move and now Denver’s opponents have to adjust accordingly.

saphojunkie
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I think Belcher is fine for one more year. I'd rather target Manti Te'o in the next draft. I have watched this kid since his senior year of high school, and I'm convinced he's the next Junior Seau.