PDA

View Full Version : Life Cool photo of how life used to be.

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
This picture was in National Geographic in an article about the Meakambut tribe of cave dwellers in New Guinea. This photo is too small to do it justice, but here it is. There's a slightly larger on on the photographer's web site here: http://www.amytoensing.com/#/portfolio/national-geographic/meakambut/Toensing-Meakambut-river-travel

http://www.richardesser.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Amy-Toensing-fishing-Meakambut.jpg

I think this is just about the coolest photo ever. Doesn't it look like an idyllic way to live? (Ignoring of course that you'd probably be dead by 40.) In the bigger picture in the magazine, you can see the people pretty clearly, and they look remarkably hale and healthy and muscular. It makes me want to chuck everything and go out there and live in the jungles of New Guinea.

lcarus
03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Doesn't make me wanna live like that, but a week vacation...sure.

Inmem58
They're behind the times

listopencil
I think you only like it because neither Peyton Manning nor John Elway are in it.

lcarus
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I think you only like it because neither Peyton Manning nor John Elway are in it.

Are you gonna derail prayer threads too with Peyton/Elway talk? J/k :D

listopencil
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Are you gonna derail prayer threads too with Peyton/Elway talk? J/k :D

ROFL

Count Zarth
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
AIDS

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
You can bet that these people aren't agitated that Port Moresby didn't get a particular free agent. They're more interested in hunting pigs or smashing roots into edible paste. That's what life should be about.

Sofa King
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
That looks nothing like South Dakota.

KChiefer
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Looks like the elder got his axe from home depot.

John_Wayne
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
We should bomb them and take their gold.

vailpass
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Looks idyllic. Where do you mount the satellite dish?

MoreLemonPledge
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
But they're smoking cigarettes and wearing polo shirts. I'm confused.

notorious
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
If I could do that, yet come back to my big-screen and internet with 80 year life span it would be great.

Groves
03-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Life without Bleu Cheese? That's a stretch.

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
So...if I cashed out everything I had and then went to live in the jungles of New Guinea, I'm thinking I could afford the modern stuff I want like tennis shoes and occasional trips to town to eat lemon meringue pie. If I'm living in a cave and hunting my own food, my savings would last my whole life. I think I can do this.

Now...how to broach this with my wife. That's the tricky part. I'm not sure that she likes caves.

listopencil
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
So...if I cashed out everything I had and then went to live in the jungles of New Guinea, I'm thinking I could afford the modern stuff I want like tennis shoes and occasional trips to town to eat lemon meringue pie. If I'm living in a cave and hunting my own food, my savings would last my whole life. I think I can do this.

Now...how to broach this with my wife. That's the tricky part. I'm not sure that she likes caves.

Sri Lanka is really nice.

bevischief
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
That looks nothing like South Dakota.

Or North Dakota.

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
They're woman get monthly grass cuts that take 2 weeks to heal

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Sri Lanka is really nice.

I'm not sure they're stone age enough. But I'll look into it.

LiveSteam
03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
I wounder if they Tebow after they kill they're super

Valiant
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
This picture was in National Geographic in an article about the Meakambut tribe of cave dwellers in New Guinea. This photo is too small to do it justice, but here it is. There's a slightly larger on on the photographer's web site here: http://www.amytoensing.com/#/portfolio/national-geographic/meakambut/Toensing-Meakambut-river-travel

http://www.richardesser.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Amy-Toensing-fishing-Meakambut.jpg

I think this is just about the coolest photo ever. Doesn't it look like an idyllic way to live? (Ignoring of course that you'd probably be dead by 40.) In the bigger picture in the magazine, you can see the people pretty clearly, and they look remarkably hale and healthy and muscular. It makes me want to chuck everything and go out there and live in the jungles of New Guinea.

Pretty much looks like our off days on our float trips.. Well except we have beer in our hands..

lostcause
03-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Hey, Rain Man, thanks for posting a picture and then providing a link back to the photographer's website.

Fish
03-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Ha ha... following that link, picture 9/27... LMAO..

cdcox
03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Life without Bleu Cheese? That's a stretch.

1. Milk your goat
2. Dig out some toe jam.
3. Mix and Shake.
4. ?
5. Enjoy Bleu Cheese!!!!

Hog Farmer
03-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Damn, If I could harvest that boulder it would sell for $50,000 easily !

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Ha ha... following that link, picture 9/27... LMAO..

You seldom see a full moon in the daytime.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I've often dreamed in becoming a modern day Grizzley Adams one day. Saying so long to society. Living off the land and not dealing with work or people.

I'd probably die in a matter of months though. Even though I know a few different ways to make fire I have a feeling that watching all those survivalist shows on cable doesn't really prepare you to go all John Denver.

lewdog
03-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I've often dreamed in becoming a modern day Grizzley Adams one day. Saying so long to society. Living off the land and not dealing with work or people.

I'd probably die in a matter of months though. Even though I know a few different ways to make fire I have a feeling that watching all those survivalist shows on cable doesn't really prepare you to go all John Denver.

This scenario equates to roughly half the population in the state of Montana. Come on up, plenty of room.

cdcox
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
guy in 13/27 looks like he has a hell of a case of scurvy.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
This scenario equates to roughly half the population in the state of Montana. Come on up, plenty of room.

There's a lot of appeal to that.

I thought you were in Washington though.........? Have I been living a lie?

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
As an aside, the article was quite interesting. In one of the more entertaining parts, the National Geographic team was hoping to find these people, but they're nomadic cave dwellers, so they're hard to find. So one of the natives in their party does the "jungle telephone" and they start hitting these big resonant trees with wooden bats, which sends a sound out through the jungle. A couple of days later, two tribesmen show up out of the jungle and basically say, "Hey, we heard the tree. What do you want?"

lewdog
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
There's a lot of appeal to that.

I thought you were in Washington though.........? Have I been living a lie?

I have only been living in Washington for less than 2 years....otherwise I have always lived under the BIG SKY.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I have only been living in Washington for less than 2 years....otherwise I have always lived under the BIG SKY.

So when I "come on up" you won't even be there awaiting my arrival with a fresh smoothy... christ.

Funny thing... the company I work for just bought 8 radio stations in Montana last year. My daughter graduates in 2 years and is off to college and I'm planning to hit the road myself. There could be an "in" to Montana already.

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
guy in 13/27 looks like he has a hell of a case of scurvy.

So does that mean there's no lemon meringue pie then? This could affect my plans.

ChiefsNow
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Can't wait to get a shack built on the property in Costa Rica. May start with a Shipping container. Then Tree houses.

mnchiefsguy
03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Cool photo. Not sure I would want to live like that...with the heat, and the bugs, and no Chiefsplanet....and no football in general....nah, I will just stick with nice picture!

KC Tattoo
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv236/NRB1777/mesaverda038.jpg

Mesa Verde in Colorado.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/alliekatgal/mesaverde0012.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv236/NRB1777/mesaverda111.jpg

Amnorix
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
You can bet that these people aren't agitated that Port Moresby didn't get a particular free agent. They're more interested in hunting pigs or smashing roots into edible paste. That's what life should be about.

That and rotting teeth. Nothing better than trying to chew food with 4 painful teeth by the time you're 35...

KC Tattoo
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Has anyone been to Mese Verde National park in Colorado?
It's bad ass. That's how they use to live.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't want to live that life for even one day.

RJ
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM

I would like that, I think. Maybe not as the RJ I am now but as the RJ I would be in that environment. I would spend my hours hunting, telling stories and having sex with my wives. In my spare time I'd just putter around the hut, maybe carve some spears and paint a few rocks. My inner RJ would be fine with that.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Has anyone been to Mese Verde National park in Colorado?
It's bad ass. That's how they use to live.
I went to some cliff dwelling just outside of Colorado Springs, and again, fuck no.

prhom
03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
It's all fun and games until someone comes down with Dengue fever.

KcMizzou
03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Great place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there.