PDA

View Full Version : Football Ten off-radar potential desinations for Tebow

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Ten off-radar potential destinations for Tebow

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT

For weeks, I’ve been pushing the Tebow-to-Jacksonville or Tebow-to-Miami theory if/when Peyton Manning picks the Broncos. Not long after that the “if” has become a “when,” I reiterated that idea, throwing out the Patriots as an option that at first blush looked like a ridiculous proposition but given the presence of former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and head coach Bill Belichick (close friend of Tebow’s former Florida coach, Urban Meyer) and in light of Belichick’s penchant for outside-the-box thinking, it makes plenty of sense to make Tebow into something other than a quarterback.

But are there other not-so-obvious destinations? Teams that shouldn’t be interested but, when considering all factors, maybe should be.

It’s a given that any team that acquires Tebow, whether he’s traded or, quite possibly, cut would face a significant decision: (1) install Tebow as the starting quarterback and design an offense that suits his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses; (2) make him a backup, part-time quarterback (which would require one playbook for Tebow and one for the “real” quarterback); or (3) move him to a new position. On the other side of the coin, Tebow will generate significant interest, not just in football circles but in the mainstream media. Ultra-casual fans who watch only the Super Bowl will start following Tebow’s new team. It will be an opportunity to craft a truly national brand.

So taking those important business realities into account, let’s consider the teams that should at least have the conversation regarding whether there’s a way to bring Tebowmania to town without unnecessarily undermining football interests — and notwithstanding Brian Billick’s warning about the Broncos’ effort to move Tebow: ”If they don’t want him, why should I?”

And so which teams should consider Tebow, either as a full-time quarterback (not likely), part-time gimmick quarterback (more likely) or “football player” to be used at a position to be determined (most likely)?

1. The Rams.

They volunteered to play in England in part because they believe that it will make them like the Cowboys and Steelers. It won’t.

Tebow could.

Throw in the ongoing struggles to sell tickets (sellouts undoubtedly come from owner Stan Kroenke buying up the unsold seats at 34 cents on the dollar) and a possible move to Los Angeles, and Tebow makes plenty of sense wearing horns from a creature other than, you know, the devil.

2. The Vikings.

Speaking of horns, Tebow could help maximize local interest during what could be a lame-duck season in Minnesota. The Vikings are getting no closer to getting a new stadium built. Tebowmania could be the thing that gets it done.

3. The Bengals.

Wanna sell those empty seats at Paul Brown Stadium? Put Tebow in orange and black.

He’s relatively inexpensive, and he’d help owner Mike Brown shed, to some extent, the perception that he isn’t interested in doing something bold.

4. The Saints.

What better way to push the Bountygate mess off the front page than to give coach Sean Payton a unique weapon?

Once, of course, Payton’s likely suspension ends.

5. The Eagles.

If coach Andy Reid can’t turn Tebow into a traditional passer, no one can.

Given what Reid did with Mike Vick, the Eagles may make the most sense of any team.

6. The Cowboys.

America’s Team can’t be America’s Team without the most popular NFL player in America.

They’d have more than 100,000 for every home game — assuming they can get enough seats installed in time.

7. The Steelers.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley would surely love nothing more than to be the guy who finds a way to get the most out of Tebow.

Especially since his nemesis Josh McDaniels got fired before he could really try.

8. The Colts.

Concerned that fans won’t show up to watch a crappy team? Add Tebow. They’ll be there.

9. The Buccaneers.

The Bucs bought several big-name (and big-money) free agents in order to fill up a half-empty stadium.

For a lot less money, they could sell the place out every week by adding Tebow.

10. The Chiefs.

Spurned by Peyton Manning an developing a penchant for taking quality players cast aside by division rivals, why not give Tebow the chance to return to Denver once per year?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-19-2012, 08:16 PM
NO.

I'd rather have Cassel.

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I want them chanting TEBOW when Newton's sophomore campaign dips

ThatRaceCardGuy
03-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Somebody find out where he lives and break his fingers

BigMeatballDave
03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd take Tebow as an H-back

Rasputin
03-19-2012, 08:27 PM
NO i'd rather DIAF

mnchiefsguy
03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
This has to be the dumbest thing Florio has ever written. Tebow only wants to play qb, and none of those teams would be putting him on the field as a qb anytime soon.

Al Bundy
03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
No... I'd rather be married to my ex-wife.

Easy 6
03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
The only place that makes any sense is new england.

I know i'm supposed to HATE HIS GUTS!, but he could do a lot of things for them... run it, block, dedicated, talented & young enough to learn route running... even have a few plausible trickbag passing plays.

Gronkowski, Hernandez & Tebow would make for a very scary stable of big, fast athletes for Brady to utilize.

mnchiefsguy
03-19-2012, 08:42 PM

I know i'm supposed to HATE HIS GUTS!, but he could do a lot of things for them... run it, block, dedicated, talented & young enough to learn route running... even have a few plausible trickbag passing plays.

Gronkowski, Hernandez & Tebow would make for a very scary stable of big, fast athletes for Brady to utilize.

Do you see Belechick giving up any draft choices for Tebow?

It would be one thing if he was a FA, then I could see a team sign him to a low contract and try to make him into an H-back, or whatever....but does anyone really think any team in this league is going to give up a draft pick for this guy? The Broncos are not going to want to admit their failure, so they are not going to take a 7th round pick, they are going to want a first day pick at least. I dot not see anyone giving up a first day pick for this guy.

notorious
03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
JFC

Fritz88
03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=41130273

Easy 6
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Do you see Belechick giving up any draft choices for Tebow?

It would be one thing if he was a FA, then I could see a team sign him to a low contract and try to make him into an H-back, or whatever....but does anyone really think any team in this league is going to give up a draft pick for this guy? The Broncos are not going to want to admit their failure, so they are not going to take a 7th round pick, they are going to want a first day pick at least. I dot not see anyone giving up a first day pick for this guy.

Certainly not a first, but i could see McDaniels possibly wheedling a fourth out of NE for him... after that the ball would be in dinvers court & i'd bet good money that they will take just about anything to get him off their hands as quickly as possible.

whoman69
03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Did Florio fall off a truck and hit his head lately?

Setsuna
03-19-2012, 10:47 PM

You aren't supposed to anymore since he won't be a Bronco. According to everyone I called haters, they said that's the only reason for the hate which obviously isn't true. They are just straight haters. It's sad really.

CaliforniaChief
03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Even if we wanted him, there's no way the Broncos would send him to us.

The only reason I could see to do it would be for money and attention. But there's no way Pioli would put Tebow behind his golden boy.

Okie_Apparition
03-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Dalton struggled against good teams
Tebow on the bench would be a disaster

tk13
03-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Jeff Fisher just got out of a situation where he had to deal with a subpar passing QB he didn't want. I'm sure he's just itching to relive all that. This column makes no sense whatsoever.

Easy 6
03-19-2012, 11:09 PM
You aren't supposed to anymore since he won't be a Bronco. According to everyone I called haters, they said that's the only reason for the hate which obviously isn't true. They are just straight haters. It's sad really.

He's a very talented athlete who, besides at qb, belongs in the NFL... anyone denying it either doesnt know jack shit, hates anyone who dares to discuss their religious beliefs, or is just being a loyal donk hater.

RealSNR
03-19-2012, 11:17 PM
You aren't supposed to anymore since he won't be a Bronco. According to everyone I called haters, they said that's the only reason for the hate which obviously isn't true. They are just straight haters. It's sad really.He's a fine athlete and a terrific human being. But he's not a fucking quarterback. My hatred of him was 75% Donk, but 25% retards who believed he could make it work as a starter in the NFL.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Geez. It's like he took a dump and flung it onto the page. What a shit article.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I fuckin' hate Tim Tebow because he has those neurotoxin-emitting glands that prevent people from praising him in a non-ridiculous fashion. And because fuck Tim Tebow. He made me go from kind of liking Florida to hating to see their games.

My roommate loved the hilarity that was Tebowmania, though, so it'd be pretty funny if the Pats did trade for him (they won't).

Sofa King
03-20-2012, 08:49 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyNUsrWk82Gh8PpLvJoqjxwR1HFXDCYSNkpsqQzd8NzdBOtL6_gA

O.city
03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
If he realizes after all this that he isn't ever going to be a starting qb, I'd take him.

Short yardage, red zone, goal line stuff. Yeah for sure.

Starting qb of my team. No thanks.

J Diddy
03-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking if I were the donks I'd be lining him up at halfback.

O.city
03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I think the guy has a place in the NFL. He's to talented and driven not too. I don't think it's at starting qb though.