PDA

View Full Version : News US to search again for Amelia Earhart's plane

Deberg_1990
03-20-2012, 08:04 AM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/19/10764785-us-reportedly-to-search-again-for-amelia-earharts-plane

The State Department plans to join a new effort to find the plane of pioneering aviator Amelia Earhart, 75 years after she mysteriously disappeared over the South Pacific.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood will take part in a ceremony Tuesday morning announcing the joint public-private search at the State Department, The Wall Street Journal reports. The event, "Amelia Earhart, a Pacific Legacy," which is pitched as a celebration of the U.S.'s pan-Pacific ties, will be streamed live at 9 a.m. on the State Department's website, a spokesman for the agency said.

Earhart's twin-engine Lockheed vanished July 2, 1937, as she and her navigator, Fred Noonan, left New Guinea (now Papua New Guinea) on their way to Howland Island in the South Pacific as part of an attempt to circle the Earth.

The search will center on the Nikumaroro Islands in the South Pacific.
The half-million-dollar search, financed with private funds, will begin in July. The key area is the Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro between Hawaii and Australia, The Journal reports:

A search team will concentrate on the deep waters near Nikumaroro, which was the site of a 2010 search that focused on coral reefs and nearby shallow waters, these people said.

The search will be spearheaded again by the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, which has championed the theory that the renowned female aviator and Fred Noonan, the other crew member on the July 1937 flight, ended up on or near the west coast of the island, formerly called Gardner Island.

JD10367
03-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I already know where it is. Storage Division, 4976th floor, just behind the ships from the Bermuda Triangle.

http://brattlefilm.org/brattle/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Close-Encounters-2.jpg

KurtCobain
03-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Noonan!!!

LiveSteam
03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Banzai!!!!

alnorth
03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
We pretty much know now that Earhart landed in a reef near Nikumaroro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikumaroro). In 1940, a skeleton was found on the deserted island, but unfortunately, after taking measurements of the bones, they mistakenly concluded it couldn't have been her, and the bones were lost. (When modern anthropologists looked at the measurements that were recorded, they concluded it was probably a tall female)

People have also found odd items on that island that appear to have possibly been items on her plane crafted into crude tools. No one knows if her navigator survived the landing, but Earhart probably died on the island, either of starvation, exposure, or maybe even suicide. We don't have definitive proof, but if they could find her plane, that would clinch it.

The shame of it is that a British survey group visited the island to see if it was militarily useful on December 1938. If she could have figured out a way to hang on for a year and a half, she would have been rescued.

Dayze
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
I've never read up on this, but it sounds really interesting.

Tribal Warfare
03-20-2012, 09:14 AM
better late than never

Sofa King
03-20-2012, 09:17 AM
We pretty much know now that Earhart landed in a reef near Nikumaroro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikumaroro). In 1940, a skeleton was found on the deserted island, but unfortunately, after taking measurements of the bones, they mistakenly concluded it couldn't have been her, and the bones were lost. (When modern anthropologists looked at the measurements that were recorded, they concluded it was probably a tall female)

People have also found odd items on that island that appear to have possibly been items on her plane crafted into crude tools. No one knows if her navigator survived the landing, but Earhart probably died on the island, either of starvation, exposure, or maybe even suicide. We don't have definitive proof, but if they could find her plane, that would clinch it.

The shame of it is that a British survey group visited the island to see if it was militarily useful on December 1938. If she could have figured out a way to hang on for a year and a half, she would have been rescued.

I heard she tied some sea turtles together with her hair and rode off into the sunset.

Amnorix
03-20-2012, 09:17 AM
best thing about the story:

financed with private funds

Donger
03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
She was probably yacking into her mobile when it happened.

otherstar
03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
That would be cool if they found it. It would make many people in Atchison (my hometown, Amelia's birthplace) very, very happy!

J Diddy
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Alas, as gutsy as she was, she was no Tom Hanks.

Deberg_1990
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Alas, as gutsy as she was, she was no Tom Hanks.

Wilson was the true hero.

SNR
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Remember that one episode of Voyager where they found Earhart in the Delta Quadrant because she was abducted by aliens and frozen in time?

That was actually not that bad of an episode

Frazod
03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Remember that one episode of Voyager where they found Earhart in the Delta Quadrant because she was abducted by aliens and frozen in time?

One of the few Voyager episodes that didn't suck. And I love Sharon Lawrence's eyes.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Amelia Earhart was cool as shit.

http://i.imgur.com/f13KX.jpg

J Diddy
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Amelia Earhart was cool as shit.

http://i.imgur.com/f13KX.jpg

If I had a vision of a white Ethiopian, zombie, female, airplane pilot it would be that picture.

Dayze
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
she's cool

although she'd make a train take a dirt road.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
looks like paradise

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hsTuDxtqI7c/TAgZiw6C9OI/AAAAAAAAMhQ/rEkkk_0Gxww/s1600/Nikumaroro.jpg

lcarus
03-20-2012, 09:53 AM
looks like paradise

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hsTuDxtqI7c/TAgZiw6C9OI/AAAAAAAAMhQ/rEkkk_0Gxww/s1600/Nikumaroro.jpg

Gotta love Google Earth.

Dayze
03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
looks like paradise

except for the black smoke monster and the 'others'.

BucEyedPea
03-20-2012, 10:02 AM
This is cool! Amelia is one of my female heros and she did what she did before AA too.

Frazod
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
This is cool! Amelia is one of my female heros and she did what she did before AA too.

Earhart was an alcoholic? Fuck, no wonder she crashed.

Simply Red
03-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Please ask them to look for us a QB, along their path.

LiveSteam
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I thought they were captured by the Japs & shot as spies.
Has this been debunked?

Goerner heard other reports that Earhart's plane may have gone down in the Marshall Islands. The Marshall Islands are much closer to Howland than Siapan. U.S. Naval personnel stationed in the area during World War II reported hearing stories from the Islanders that were very similar to those told on Siapan: Two flyers, a man and a woman, crash landed and were taken captive by the Japanese. No proof emerged from these accounts either, though Goerner finally reached the conclusion that Earhart probably crashed in the Marshall Islands and was later held captive on Siapan.

The Search Co

Mizzou_8541
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I think there was a rumor that she was Tokyo Rose.

Okie_Apparition
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
This is certainly better money spent then having a hot dog with PM of Great Britain

Nightfyre
03-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Dammit, someone beat me to the punch.

vailpass
03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
We should be spending money or give-a-shits on this why?

alpha_omega
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
This is certainly better money spent then having a hot dog with PM of Great Britain

As much as i would like to agree...it does say in the article that "private funds" are being used.

vailpass
03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
As much as i would like to agree...it does say in the article that "private funds" are being used.

Oh, alright then. Good show.

kepp
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
best thing about the story:

Yeah, my first thought was, "What am I paying for now?"

Chocolate Hog
03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I bet she used to grunt like a pirate with stage 4 throat cancer when she would get boinked.

vailpass
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I thought they were captured by the Japs & shot as spies.
Has this been debunked?

Goerner heard other reports that Earhart's plane may have gone down in the Marshall Islands. The Marshall Islands are much closer to Howland than Siapan. U.S. Naval personnel stationed in the area during World War II reported hearing stories from the Islanders that were very similar to those told on Siapan: Two flyers, a man and a woman, crash landed and were taken captive by the Japanese. No proof emerged from these accounts either, though Goerner finally reached the conclusion that Earhart probably crashed in the Marshall Islands and was later held captive on Siapan.

The Search Co

Watch that term. The banhammer lurketh.

Frazod
03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, my first thought was, "What am I paying for now?"

Hell, I'd rather pay for that than three-quarters of the shit I am paying for. At least this is interesting.

vailpass
03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Hopefully Smithsonian Magazine does a piece on this. They do a kick-ass job and this seems right up their alley.

gblowfish
03-20-2012, 01:55 PM
She looks like David Bowie.

Rain Man
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Come on. This is ridiculous. Even if she survived the crash, the odds of her still being alive are almost zero. Give it up.

LiveSteam
03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Watch that term. The banhammer lurketh.

I apologize if I offended anyone that salutes that stupid fucking meatball :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zQy1zaysy0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I apologize if I offended anyone that salutes that stupid ****ing meatball :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zQy1zaysy0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm so unaware of some things, that I didn't realize what the meaning of that song was until the mid-2000s and my wife clued me in.

LiveSteam
03-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm so unaware of some things, that I didn't realize what the meaning of that song was until the mid-2000s and my wife clued me in.

masturbation will also give you 'hairy palms

vailpass
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I apologize if I offended anyone that salutes that stupid ****ing meatball :D

:D

Detoxing
03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Why would they do this? I thought it was pretty much accepted that the sea monster from the Bermuda Triangle ate it.

Chiefshrink
03-20-2012, 03:57 PM

Absolutely love this stuff !! Thx Al !!

J Diddy
03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Why would they do this? I thought it was pretty much accepted that the sea monster from the Bermuda Triangle ate it.

See, it's stupid fucking shit like this is how rumors get started.

It was the fucking aliens dude.

Frankie
03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
US to search again for Amelia Earhart's plane
oh goody. Maybe they'll get to rescue her once and for all.

talastan
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
She was probably yacking into her mobile when it happened.

As long as it didn't happen in mid-air!! :eek: ;)

Cornstock
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I heard she tied some sea turtles together with her hair and rode off into the sunset.

Hair from her back?

bevischief
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't think that $500,000 is going to last too long.

BucEyedPea
03-21-2012, 03:14 PM
We should be spending money or give-a-shits on this why?

I would rather this being an all private venture even though I think it's cool.
I almost said that in my first post but I thought it would be getting into DC territory.

MIAdragon
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
See, it's stupid ****ing shit like this is how rumors get started.

It was the ****ing aliens dude.

http://i.qkme.me/6h3g.jpg

Halfcan
03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I think they will find it. Discovery has a great ship and set up.

crazycoffey
03-21-2012, 04:17 PM

can you clue me in?

loochy
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
can you clue me in?

it's about being a troll

Donger
03-21-2012, 04:25 PM
can you clue me in?

Sure. When men masturbate/ejaculate, they apparently make a face like a politically-incorrect caricature of a Japanese person.

Therefore, this song is about masturbation and the goofy faces one makes while masturbating.

DJ's left nut
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
So it appears that most of her remains may have been taken away from the scene and buried in underground crab tunnels by Coconut Crabs (hence the fact that researchers have only located a few bones).

This is a coconut crab:

http://www.magazine13.com/img/nature/giant-coconut-crab/giant-coconut-crab08.jpg

http://www.magazine13.com/giant-coconut-crab/

Mother of God. If she offed herself, it's small wonder why...

Ebolapox
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM

before american airlines?

crazycoffey
03-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Sure. When men masturbate/ejaculate, they apparently make a face like a politically-incorrect caricature of a Japanese person.

Therefore, this song is about masturbation and the goofy faces one makes while masturbating.

Your wife told you this, and you believed her? How did she hear about it, and are there other clues in the song to substantiate this story?

LiveSteam
03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Your wife told you this, and you believed her? How did she hear about it, and are there other clues in the song to substantiate this story?

It is true just how donger explained it. It goes back years. How it arrived to mean masturbation. That I cant tell you

Donger
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Yes, she told me and I believed her.

I don't know how she heard about it.

patteeu
03-21-2012, 06:20 PM

The VH1 program True Spin called that a myth and band members seemed to verify that. Jump to 2:21 if you don't want to watch the whole video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oHb1IFPtlWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P.S. There are some pretty good euphemisms in that video.

crazycoffey
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I just watched it, the vapors denied it meant masturbation, the only thing true spin did was verify it was a rumor or a myth. Even at the end, spin says "to all you that think it's about punching the hog" or whatever "it isn't, it's a love song"

Donger
03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
The VH1 program True Spin called that a myth and band members seemed to verify that. Jump to 2:21 if you don't want to watch the whole video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oHb1IFPtlWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P.S. There are some pretty good euphemisms in that video.

I don't believe the scrawny, little English fuck. It's about pulling the plonker.

patteeu
03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I just watched it, the vapors denied it meant masturbation, the only thing true spin did was verify it was a rumor or a myth. Even at the end, spin says "to all you that think it's about punching the hog" or whatever "it isn't, it's a love song"

It sure would have made for a better story if they would have just gone with the masturbation explanation. I liked "hand to gland combat".

DTLB58
03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
better late than never

Except for her of course. :deevee:

bevischief
03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/reports-new-search-planned-for-amelia-earhart/?hpt=hp_bn2

10:50 AM ET
Comments (565 comments)
Tweet
Investigators say they've found key clue to fate of Amelia Earhart

Investigators think they've uncovered a key clue that will lead them to solve the mystery of what happened to legendary aviator Amelia Earhart, who disappeared on a trans-Pacific flight 75 years ago.

Ric Gillespie, executive director of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), said a new enhanced analysis of a photo taken on the Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro, formerly Gardner Island, three months after Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared, may show the landing gear of her Lockheed Electra protruding from a reef.

“We found some really fascinating and compelling evidence," Gillespie said at a news conference in Washington on Tuesday.

“Finding the airplane would be the thing that would make it conclusive,” he said.

Gillespie said the photo was taken by a British survey team in October 1937 and had been seen by Earhart researchers many times. But investigators took a new look at it in 2010 and, when their suspicions were triggered, had the photo checked by U.S. State Department experts. In a blind review, they determined the component in the picture is the landing gear of a Lockheed Electra.

"This is where the airplane went into the drink," Gillespie said.
On July 2, 75 years to the day after Earhart was last heard from, Gillespie will depart Honolulu on a University of Hawaii research vessel to try to find that plane in the deep waters off a flat reef on Nikumaroro.

The privately funded effort will use robotic submarines from Phoenix International, the U.S. Navy's primary contractor for deep ocean search and recovery, to comb the area. The Discovery Channel will film the exploration for a TV presentation, Gillespie said.

Gillespie acknowledged there would be skeptics after his 23 years of searching for Earhart had yet to yield an answer.

“There are some very smart people who think we’re wrong about this, but there are some very smart people who think we’re right about this,” he said.

One Gillespie supporter is Robert Ballard, the explorer who found the Titanic and other deep sea wrecks, who called himself "a ringer" brought in to vet Gillespie's case.

Ballard said he had rejected offers to look for Earhart's plane, thinking the task too difficult.

“If you ever wanted a case of finding a needle in a haystack, this is at the top of the list in deep sea exploration,” he said at the Washington press conference.

Ballard said he did a strict analysis of Gillespie's research and signed off on the science.

"Every time he passed the test," Ballard said. "Clearly the smoking gun was the analysis of that enhanced image."

Earhart and Noonan disappeared while on a flight from New Guinea to Howland Island that summer of 1937. The flat reef off Gardner Island, 300 miles off their course, had been a suspected landing spot. But those suspicions were largely based on speculation.

At Tuesday's press conference, Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell called the disappearance of Earhart "the last great unsolved mystery of the 20th century."

If the mystery is solved this summer, Earhart's aviation trailblazing will have played a part, Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood said.

"In no small part because of Amelia Earhart our world is smaller," LaHood said. "This very voyage to recover her remains in some ways is doable because of Earhart herself."

“We take a special measure of pride in an expedition that is as enterprising and inspiring as the woman with which it will unite us,” he said.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton saluted Earhart's memory, too.

“Her legacy resonates today for anyone girls and boys who dreams about the stars,” Clinton said. “She gave people hope and she inspired them to dream bigger and bolder.”

loochy
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Earhart is probably nowhere near where they think she should be. She was a woman after all, so she probably had no clue of how to read a map or follow directions. She probably crashed somewhere in the North Atlantic.

buddha
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
BTW, just because private money is being used, doesn't mean it's not costing US money. I read the phrase, "public-private", which means it is costing us tax dollars. No other way to spin it. If it leads to some kind of definitive discovery, it is probably worth it. If it's more bread and circuses to distract us from other things, then not.

lcarus
03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
So it appears that most of her remains may have been taken away from the scene and buried in underground crab tunnels by Coconut Crabs (hence the fact that researchers have only located a few bones).

This is a coconut crab:

http://www.magazine13.com/img/nature/giant-coconut-crab/giant-coconut-crab08.jpg

http://www.magazine13.com/giant-coconut-crab/

Mother of God. If she offed herself, it's small wonder why...

That looks like good eatin to me. Especially if I was deserted on an island. HIT IT WITH A ROCK QUICK! FOOD!

RockChalk
03-22-2012, 09:51 AM
If it's more bread and circuses to distract us from other things, then not.

I'm not really sure how the search for Amelia would distract us from other American/Worldwide problems.

J.Doe #1: Hey, did you hear the economy has collapsed and Iran is planning to attack?

J.Doe #2: No, I've been too wrapped into this Amelia Earhart search mission. It's been my entire focus for months

Otter
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
It would be awesome if they found the Hindenburg Baby in her lap.

loochy
03-22-2012, 09:59 AM

lol wut?

buddha
03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not really sure how the search for Amelia would distract us from other American/Worldwide problems.

J.Doe #1: Hey, did you hear the economy has collapsed and Iran is planning to attack?

J.Doe #2: No, I've been too wrapped into this Amelia Earhart search mission. It's been my entire focus for months

Given the ass clowns that we have in Washington, it wouldn't surprise me that it has been part of their discussions. And RC, it doesn't have to be just one thing distracting the unwashed masses. Just anything to eat a few days is gold.

Frazod
03-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Or pieces of the Lindbergh blimp.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2012, 10:57 AM

the Lindenburgh was a ZEPPELIN dummy!

Chris Meck
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Jesus. HINDENBERG. Great Googly-moogly.

J Diddy
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM

ROFL

Graystoke
03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
ROFL

THE HUMANITY!

LiveSteam
03-22-2012, 02:16 PM

I see what you did there.

Not so sure anyone else did.

patteeu
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I see what you did there.

Not so sure anyone else did.

I think most people did.

J Diddy
03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
I think most people did.

Shhhh.

It makes him feel special.

BWillie
03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I hate to break it to you guys, but she's dead.

LiveSteam
03-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Shhhh.

It makes him feel special.

:sulk:

Dave Lane
03-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Given the ass clowns that we have in Washington, it wouldn't surprise me that it has been part of their discussions. And RC, it doesn't have to be just one thing distracting the unwashed masses. Just anything to eat a few days is gold.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say I'm bat shit crazy?

Donger
03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
This is apparently the picture that got everyone all excited:

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2012/03/amelia-earhart-landing-gear.jpg

LiveSteam
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM

WTH is it supposed to be ?

BigChiefTablet
03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
So how much taxpayer money is this costing again?

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Nessie?

Donger
03-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Nessie?

Looks like a Broncos' helmet to me.

patteeu
03-22-2012, 02:47 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a landing gear from a Lockheed Electra.

Donger
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM

They apparently sent the photograph into some gubmint agency without telling them when and where it was taken, and asked them to identify the object. They came back and identified it as the landing gear from a Lockheed Electra.

LiveSteam
03-22-2012, 02:55 PM
They apparently sent the photograph into some gubmint agency without telling them when and where it was taken, and asked them to identify the object. They came back and identified it as the landing gear from a Lockheed Electra.

Thats crazy. Or they had a much better picture.

Rain Man
08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Interesting stuff. If you look at the photo in the link, I have no idea how people identify those blobs. I guess there are some angles that can point toward them being manmade, but how do you know that it's not just a TV thrown off a Japanese fishing boat?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/19/75-years-later-the-mystery-of-amelia-earhart-solved/?hpt=hp_c2

75 years later, the mystery of Amelia Earhart solved?
Debris discovered in the depths of the South Pacific may be remnants of vanished aviator Amelia Earhart’s plane.

“A review of high-definition underwater video footage taken during the recently-completed Niku VII expedition has revealed a scattering of man-made objects on the reef slope off the west end of Nikumaroro,” The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery reported on its website.

The question researchers are now asking: Do these new images reveal parts of the same plane captured in a 1937 photo of Nikumaroro.

Discovery News reports that the 1937 photo of the island's western shoreline was taken three months after Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, disappeared. The shot by British Colonial Service officer Eric R. Bevington, “revealed an apparent man-made protruding object on the left side of the frame.” Forensic analysis of the image “found the mysterious object consistent with the shape and dimension of the upside-down landing gear of Earhart's plane.”

"The Bevington photo shows what appears to be four components of the plane: a strut, a wheel, a wom gear and a fender. In the debris field there appears to be the fender, possibly the wheel and possibly some portions of the strut," TIGHAR forensic imaging specialist Jeff Glickman told Discovery News.

TIGHAR launched the expedition last month, working on a theory that Earhart and Noonan became stranded and ultimately met their deaths on Nikumaroro Island after their Lockheed Electra plane was swept out to sea 75 years ago.

The group’s ninth expedition to the island kicked off with a chorus of excitement and criticism around the Internet. Researchers ultimately returned to the U.S. admitting they had found no obvious signs of the plane.

But new analysis of an underwater debris field may prove the researchers found exactly what they were looking for.

"Early media reports rushed to judgment in saying that the expedition didn't find anything," Ric Gillespie, TIGHAR executive director, told Discovery News. "We had, of course, hoped to see large pieces of aircraft wreckage but as soon as we saw the severe underwater environment at Nikumaroro we knew that we would be looking for debris from an airplane that had been torn to pieces 75 years ago."

Glickman told Discovery News the group has reviewed less than 30% of the high-definition underwater video taken on the recent expedition, which launched July 12 and concluded on July 24.

TIGHAR theorizes that Earhart and Noonan landed on Nikumaroro Island – then called Gardner’s Island – after failing to find a different South Pacific island where they were planning to land. The pair is believed to have landed safely and called for help using the Electra’s radio. And in a twist of fate, the plane was apparently swept out to sea, washing away Earhart and Noonan’s only source of communication. U.S. Navy search planes flew over the island, but not seeing the Electra, passed it by and continued the search elsewhere.

"What makes this the best expedition is the technology we've been able to assemble to search for the wreckage of that airplane," Gillespie told CNN last month. "We have an autonomous vehicle. We have multibeam sonar above the University of Hawaii ship we're on right now. We have a remote-operated vehicle to check out the targets (and a) high-definition camera. We're all set."

Gillespie told Discovery News that if further analysis of the Bevington photo continues to support TIGHAR's theory, the group will seek to recover the objects from the ocean’s depths.

Sofa King
08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I watched some of an episode on that stuff last night. It was pretty interesting although i never got the answer i wanted. They kept getting their damn submarine's stuck on rocks.

Garcia Bronco
08-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a big waste of resources

Rausch
08-20-2012, 11:35 AM

I can't think of anything more important to spend resources on at the moment...:mad:

kepp
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM

I agree. They need to focus those resources on more important mysteries. Like DB Cooper, or Bigfoot.

tooge
08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I watched the documentary last night. It was very interesting, but most of the debris that they found was from a british shipwreck of the SS Norwich City. Interestingly, when a few of her radio distress signals were heard, they were interpreted as saying something about "new york city". They also found cosmetics vials, some of which were unique and used by her, a womans shoe, and several other items seen on her in old photos. It is all circumstantial evidence, but put all together, it is pretty compelling.

Rausch
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree. They need to focus those resources on more important mysteries. Like DB Cooper, or Bigfoot.

Or...

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/165/203/ancient-aliens-contest.jpg

Phobia
08-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I thought it was horrible when her son was kidnapped for ransom. I remember that like it was yesterday...

Rausch
08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I thought it was horrible when her son was kidnapped for ransom. I remember that like it was yesterday...

It's why we keep looking...

mikey23545
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Or...

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/165/203/ancient-aliens-contest.jpg

Hey!

tooge
08-20-2012, 03:46 PM

I remember when her daughter started robbing banks with those Libyan folks. Now THAT was a shame.