PDA

View Full Version : Life Woman who lied to get out of jury duty and bragged about it on talk radio arrested

Deberg_1990
03-22-2012, 07:00 AM
:facepalm:

Juror No. 4361 was a wreck.

Her hair hung askew in curlers. Her shoes and reindeer socks mismatched. Heavy makeup was smeared on her face.

Denver District Court Judge Anne Mansfield — presiding over jury selection June 28 — quickly dismissed the woman, who explained in disjointed speech, "I broke out of domestic violence in the military. And I have a lot of repercussions. One is post-traumatic stress disorder."

Now Juror No. 4361 — published author and Denver cosmetologist Susan Cole — faces felony charges after allegedly bragging months later on a radio program that she fabricated the elaborate ruse to duck jury duty.

Turns out, Judge Mansfield was listening.

The Denver District Attorney's Office today charged Cole, 57, with perjury and attempting to influence a public servant, both Class 4 felonies.

Denver Jury Commissioner LeAnna Mosher said wacky behavior or dress isn't unusual in a jury pool, though she "had to laugh" at the way Cole was found out.

"I say congrats to the judge," Mosher said. "I'm sure jury duty is very scary for a lot of people, or they're too busy. Our justice system wouldn't work if our jurors didn't show up. It's important."

An affidavit for Cole's arrest details how she allegedly weaved her fiction and how it quickly unraveled.

In June, Cole wrongly believed her cousin had been involved in a fatal motorcycle accident, an "emotionally draining" experience that left her unprepared to serve on a jury the next day, according to the affidavit.

When she appeared in court June 28, Cole stood out among other jurors.

"Her makeup looked like something you would wear during a theater performance," Kelli Wessels, who was the court reporter that day, recalled in a statement to investigators. "When the judge asked the entire panel if anyone had a mental illness, (Cole) stated she had difficulties getting ready in the morning, which was apparent to me by the way she was dressed."

Cole told Mansfield she had lived on the streets, got confused in the mornings and didn't "want to emotionally go through this," according to court transcripts. She was excused.

Months later, on the evening of Oct. 17, Mansfield was listening to callers describe avoiding jury duty on 850-KOA's Dave Logan Show and heard a familiar tale.

A woman identifying herself as "Char from Denver" related how she'd shown up to court disheveled in an attempt to appear mentally ill, according to the affidavit.

"Char went on to describe how she shared this experience with clients at her hair styling business, and that they all found the story amusing," according to the affidavit written by an investigator for the Denver District Attorney's Office.

It didn't take investigators long to discover "Char from Denver" was Cole, who admitted she used "Char Cole" as her pen name.

Her book, "Seven Initiations with El-Way's Secrets" apparently has nothing to do with the famed Broncos star. Instead, it promises to "renew your spiritual outlook and help you deal with difficult relationships and situations" through understanding passages from the books of Genesis and Revelations, according to Amazon.com.

Cole offered investigators a copy of the book, which details her battle with domestic abuse, as proof of her life story and mental illness.

What she couldn't produce, according to the affidavit, was proof she'd been diagnosed with PTSD.

"It moves from just being a serious civic responsibility to a potential criminal matter because potential jurors have taken an oath to answer questions from the judge and attorneys truthfully," said Lynn Kimbrough, spokeswoman for the Denver District Attorney's Office.

Read more: Juror who lied to get out of duty arrested after bragging about it months later on talk radio - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20224746/juror-who-lied-get-out-duty-arrested-after#.T2pk7FQkvts.email#ixzz1pqm1GHgS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

La literatura
03-22-2012, 07:09 AM
I really have no patience for people who try to dodge out of jury duty. It's a civic duty that is a foundation of our liberty and civilization. And it's actually a really cool experience.

Amnorix
03-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Stupid moron deserves what she gets.

ReynardMuldrake
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
It's funny. I've always wanted to be on a jury. Almost all of my friends have been on one, most of them hate it. Then my girlfriend got a jury summons about a month ago. My reaction was, "Again??"

Al Bundy
03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't have a problem with getting out of jury duty but don't be stupid and brag about it on a national radio show.

Lzen
03-22-2012, 07:20 AM
I really have no patience for people who try to dodge out of jury duty. It's a civic duty that is a foundation of our liberty and civilization. And it's actually a really cool experience.

I don't know if I'd call it a cool experience. I did it once. Gang banger shot into apartment house and hit a young girl (not his intended victim). So yeah, that one was interesting. But I've heard of people being on boring cases such as land disputes. Hope that doesn't ever happen to me. Still, I wouldn't lie to get out of it.

Iowanian
03-22-2012, 07:21 AM

That's true, but get back to me when you're called up when you own a business, have client deadlines and no-one else who can do your job.

InChiefsHell
03-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Hell, I'd like to serve on a jury. 41 years old and I've never recieved a summons. Pisses me off. I just want to partake in the system.

jiveturkey
03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
That's true, but get back to me when you're called up when you own a business, have client deadlines and no-one else who can do your job.I ran into that a couple of years back. Just wasting a day for the selection process was stressful enough and it was expected to be a multi-week murder trial.

Luckily I wasn't ever pulled from the pool but I figured it would have been a cool experience and I would have sucked it up and found a way to make it happen. The timing just sucked.

Life has leveled off and I'd treat it as a vacation now.

Deberg_1990
03-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Ive never served....but cant you just pretend to be racist or biased to get out?

La literatura
03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
That's true, but get back to me when you're called up when you own a business, have client deadlines and no-one else who can do your job.

I understand, but no one ever said freedom and democracy was always the most convenient way of government.

Radar Chief
03-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Hell, I'd like to serve on a jury. 41 years old and I've never recieved a summons. Pisses me off. I just want to partake in the system.

I got called for jury duty once. 15 showed up, they only needed 12 and I just happened to be one of the 2 not picked, one was dismissed due to ongoing litigation with the prosecutor.
I kind of doubt I would’ve been selected anyway. I knew and had partied with the accused, was best friends throughout high school with the defending attorney’s oldest son, I went to high school and was good friends with both arresting officers and had zero respect for the lying assed, hot check writing, POS prosecutor we had at the time.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2012, 07:40 AM

That's not trying to "dodge" jury duty. That is a legitimate excuse, IMO.

InChiefsHell
03-22-2012, 07:42 AM

Exactly. I think if you are honest about that, it's not going to be a problem. It's a true hardship to serve, and it's not like they don't have other people who don't have that problem. LIKE ME DAMMIT!

Radar Chief
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Stupid moron deserves what she gets.

Isn’t that always how dumbasses get caught, bragging about it?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Not according to the court.

Iowanian
03-22-2012, 07:47 AM

In my case, you still get to sit through a day or two of ill timed, mandatory jury selection until you can be sorted off. A waste of a day is a waste of a day.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Not according to the court.

Depends on the judge.

Iowanian
03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
The last time I was called to Jury duty I had a pretty valid excuse to not be on that jury.

One of the attorneys was a gal with whom I had hosted for drinks and attempted to gain carnal knowledge of her reproductive organs in college. I wasn't successful(yes she was attractive). While neither of us appear to hold any ill will about that, I was certain I wasn't going to be able to be unbiased due to her rejection of my advance in this case.

There were crews on B2 Bombers in Rain man's simulation game who didn't burn into the ground as hard as I did on that fateful flight. No parachute.

Bwana
03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
I don't know if I'd call it a cool experience. I did it once. Gang banger shot into apartment house and hit a young girl (not his intended victim). So yeah, that one was interesting. But I've heard of people being on boring cases such as land disputes. Hope that doesn't ever happen to me. Still, I wouldn't lie to get out of it.

That was exactly what the case was about, when I was on jury duty.....yawn.

As far as the lady, that's what this gal gets, for running her mouth.

Dartgod
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
It's funny. I've always wanted to be on a jury. Almost all of my friends have been on one, most of them hate it. Then my girlfriend got a jury summons about a month ago. My reaction was, "Again??"

I've only been summoned once for jury duty. Went in and never was questioned. They filled their pool and I was dismissed.

Frosty
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I've been called 3 times, 2 for county and, recently, once for federal. The first county one I had to sit around all morning at the court house, only to get dismissed when the case was settled right before it was to go to trial. The second county one happened right at the busiest time of the year at work and I asked for a deferment. Haven't heard back. I wasn't picked for the federal jury pool, thankfully as that would have meant a 100 mile drive and a possibly long trial.

My wife, who only works part time and could easily take the time for a trial, has never been picked. :rolleyes:

Dayze
03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
I was called once. Sat there for 2 days, was never interviewed or anything. Got my $12 or whatever they paid you, and left.

although I had a family member sit in on a murder trial, and he said it was pretty interesting, and a difficult decision.

seclark
03-22-2012, 08:37 AM
i've done jury duty once...civil case. lasted a friggin week.

currently in the pool, but haven't been called yet.

wife was on grand jury for about 9 months to a year. had to go in i think at least once a month to meet. couldn't talk about the cases to anyone, but she did tell me not to be jerking off in the walmart parking lot.:eek:
sec

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Depends on the judge.

true, a judge can excuse you for any reason he wants, but that excuse is not a guarantee, and will piss some judges off

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
I got called and put in the pool last time I went. I had just moved the day before, and had strained something in my groin. Was actually a little worried I had a hernia. I told the judge I didn't think I'd be able to fully concentrate on the proceedings and was dismissed.

KILLER_CLOWN
03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I was called twice, once for Murder one. I was one of the last ones dismissed both times. The Murder trial jury selection was insane, must have been a thousand people called and it took forever to dismiss me.

Iowanian
03-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Both brideowanian and I have been professional witnesses in more than 1 trial(separate ones) for some serious stuff.

That's about as big of a pain in the ass as jury duty.

Pestilence
03-22-2012, 09:19 AM
I've only been called in one time and got picked.

High profile murder of a city councilman. The city councilman was only 21 years old....youngest in the state. Shot in the back of the head outside a female's house.

That was fucking interesting.

buddha
03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
The actual trial portion of the experience IS cool. The waiting in the jury room, waiting for the judge to get started, listening to the same questions a million times during jury selection...that stuff is HORRIBLE. That is time that you'll never get back.

Civic duty is one thing...the legal process when it comes to jury selection SUCKS and it should be revamped in a major way.

I've served on three juries and was dismissed three other times from service.

RockChalk
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Served once about 10 years ago on a DUI case. It was me (20 y/o student @ KU) with 5 older (age 35 to 65) women on the jury. I have no positive or negative thoughts of the process. Wouldn't mind serving again on a more interest case. Who the hell takes a DUI case to jury trial?

Rain Man
03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I've only been called in one time and got picked.

High profile murder of a city councilman. The city councilman was only 21 years old....youngest in the state. Shot in the back of the head outside a female's house.

That was ****ing interesting.

Wow. That would be a big deal. Was it a personal motive, I presume, as opposed to a political one?

And I hope they throw the book at this stupid woman in Denver. She's a moron, and she makes good citizens carry the load for her.

bevischief
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I have been called for 2 county never picked. The federal one I got picked and it last a week. I knew I was screwed when they called me up and I ended sitting closest to the judge.

bevischief
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Served once about 10 years ago on a DUI case. It was me (20 y/o student @ KU) with 5 older (age 35 to 65) women on the jury. I have no positive or negative thoughts of the process. Wouldn't mind serving again on a more interest case. Who the hell takes a DUI case to jury trial?

A dumbass.

Pestilence
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow. That would be a big deal. Was it a personal motive, I presume, as opposed to a political one?

And I hope they throw the book at this stupid woman in Denver. She's a moron, and she makes good citizens carry the load for her.

Here was my thread. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227887

Here's the article about the trial.

A Suisun City man arrested following the fatal 2008 shooting of young Fairfield City Councilman Matt Garcia was found guilty of murder Thursday in Solano County Superior Court.

After roughly 10 hours of deliberation, a 10-man, two-woman jury on Thursday afternoon found 46-year-old Gene Allen Combs guilty of second-degree murder for his role in the Garcia slaying.

Superior Court Judge Robert S. Bowers subsequently set 8:30 a.m. July 19 for judgment and sentencing in the matter. Combs faces a maximum sentence of 15 years to life in state prison.

In a separate trial last week, Combs' former co-defendant, 33-year-old Henry Don Williams of Fairfield, was found guilty of first-degree murder with personal use of a firearm in the councilman's Labor Day death. Believed to have been the triggerman, Williams faces a maximum sentence of 50 years to life in prison.

After the verdict was read, Garcia's mother, Teresa Courtemanche, said she felt that courts had fulfilled their mission.

"We continue to believe that the justice system works," she said. "We thank the jury for doing everything they had to do to reach their verdict."

Stepfather Ray Courtemanche said the slain councilman's family and friends would continue working to make Fairfield the kind of town Matt Garcia believed in.

"He embodied stepping up to the plate and it's important for us to be representative of the city we believe in, and that's Fairfield," Ray Courtemanche said. "Fairfield first, guaranteed."

Teresa Courtemanche said the young councilman's dream for his community would be fulfilled.

"We want to continue doing what Matt was doing -- supporting our youth, stopping crime and strengthening our community," she said.

The councilman's father, Matt Garcia Sr., said he, too, was gratified by the jury's verdict.

"I'm feeling really good about the decision. Justice has prevailed," he said. "I just hope we'll be able to get on with our lives again."

Testimony offered during the back-to-back murder trials of Williams and Combs indicated that Matt Garcia was, unwittingly, in the wrong place at the wrong time when the two defendants went hunting for a Cordelia drug dealer who cheated Combs in a $50 methamphetamine buy.

The pair were being driven down Silverado Drive in Cordelia by Williams' pregnant girlfriend, Nicole Stewart, the evening of Sept. 1, 2008, when Garcia drove past them in his Cadillac CTS. Williams apparently mistook Garcia's car for that of the neighborhood drug dealer. According to testimony, he told Stewart to stop, then climbed out of his car and began firing a semi-automatic .22-caliber pistol into the darkness.

At least eight shots were fired and one struck Garcia as he stood on the sidewalk talking to a friend. He later died in a Walnut Creek medical center.

Combs admitted telephoning the drug dealer after the shooting and stating, "The bullets down the street were meant for you."

RockChalk
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Here was my thread. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227887

Here's the article about the trial.

What a senseless killing. Over a $50 meth deal. Hopefully both of the guys die at some point in jail, as they don't serve any purpose to society.

Pestilence
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
What a senseless killing. Over a $50 meth deal. Hopefully both of the guys die at some point in jail, as they don't serve any purpose to society.

Yeah....and the dumb thing was...that the two guys tried to say it was dark and they thought it was the drug dealer that they were shooting at.

The drug dealer was 300 lbs......and the city councilman was 140 at the most.