PDA

View Full Version : Football Proposed NFL Rule Changes

Chiefnj2
03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks to profootballtalk.com:

The rules changes that are being proposed are:

1. Giving the authority to determine replay reviews to the replay official in the booth, not the referee on the field.

2. Modifying the horse-collar tackle rule to remove the exception for quarterbacks in the pocket, so that a quarterback in the pocket may not be yanked down by the back of his shoulder pads or inside collar of his jersey.

3. Changing overtime so that the postseason rule will be used in the regular season as well, and no regular-season games will be ended on a field goal on the first possession of overtime.

4. Adding a loss of down to the penalty for kicking a loose ball, as is the case in college football.

5. Adopting the college rule for too many men on the field, which is a dead-ball foul if a team lines up on offense for more than three seconds, or if a team on defense lines up with too many men and the snap is imminent. In those cases, the officials will blow the play dead and assess a five-yard penalty. This change wouldn’t affect the rulings on players running off the field who don’t get off in time.

6. Expanding the defenseless player rule to protect defensive players on crackback blocks, making it illegal to hit them in the head or neck area.

7. Automatically reviewing turnovers via instant replay, just as scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

The league also considered the following bylaws:

1. Modifying the roster rules for teams that play on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2. Moving the trade deadline from Week 6 to Week 8.

3. Expanding the roster limit for training camp and the offseason to 90 players, with unsigned draft picks now counting toward that limit, whereas in the past unsigned draft picks did not count toward the 80-player limit.

4. Moving this year’s final roster cutdown day to Friday night instead of Saturday, which is designed to give an extra day of work after cutting down to final rosters for the two teams playing in the first game of the season, which this year is on Wednesday instead of Thursday.

5. Adding an injured reserve exemption so that if a player was on the roster through the first regular season weekend, that player can be placed on injured reserve and designated for return, and then can return to practice six weeks later and play in a game eight weeks later, rather than having all players on injured reserve out for the season.

6. Allowing one roster exemption per team per week for a player who is inactive with a concussion.

Monty
03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
No automatic resignation for an owner due to being a cheap bastard? :harumph:

Trevo_410
03-23-2012, 09:08 AM
I see the NFl is trying to catch up with college still...

talastan
03-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Regarding the rule changes...JMO though..

1) No
2) :BS: HELL NO! They already have neutered Defenses enough.
3) Absolutely yes. Makes the game more interesting than a coin toss.
4) Meh, I don't really have an opinion one way or another :shrug:
5) I don't think this rule is needed. Just leave it as is.
6) If you are protecting offense the defense should get the same protection, Yes!
7) :shrug: Why not?

Chiefnj2
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM

1) No
6) If you are protecting offense the defense should get the same protection, Yes!

Why would you be against #1?

#2 is ridiculous. Can't grab the inside of a jersey on a QB?

J Diddy
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM

1) No

Number 2 is the peyton manning rule, imo

Thig Lyfe
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
4. Adding a loss of down to the penalty for kicking a loose ball, as is the case in college football.

FINALLY!!!!

J Diddy
03-23-2012, 09:18 AM
No automatic resignation for an owner due to being a cheap bastard? :harumph:

There is a fine of $5,000 however, it doesn't apply if your last name is Hunt.

Speaking of which I wonder if they have a Mike Hunt in the family. Oh, I bet you get teased after Porkys.

thurman merman
03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
3. Changing overtime so that the postseason rule will be used in the regular season as well, and no regular-season games will be ended on a field goal on the first possession of overtime.

Yes, please!

kczoo
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM
In a new development, we have just learned that all of these requests are per Payton Manning himself and will all be in effect immediately so he is not injured and he has a fair shot in O.T.

Micjones
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I like all of the rules that pertain to the roster.
The rest of that shit can DIAF.

The Commish needs to quit tinkering with the game...
This Madden shit gets old.

Rain Man
03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Bylaw #6 makes me laugh. The number of reported concussions is going to explode, and I bet the number is exactly 32 each week.

Dayze
03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
I wish they could do something about defensive PI.

Not sure what....but man, I hate that penalty.
well, that and holding. I'm not sure what's holding anymore.

J Diddy
03-23-2012, 09:47 AM
I like all of the rules that pertain to the roster.
The rest of that shit can DIAF.

The Commish needs to quit tinkering with the game...
This Madden shit gets old.

Ironically enough, from the guy with the Madden 12 cover as his avatar.

:hmmm:

talastan
03-23-2012, 09:48 AM
I wish they could do something about defensive PI.

Not sure what....but man, I hate that penalty.
well, that and holding. I'm not sure what's holding anymore.

Nothing is holding when it involves Tamba Hali...:shake:

talastan
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Why would you be against #1?

#2 is ridiculous. Can't grab the inside of a jersey on a QB?

Because the refs are there on the field and closer to the action. May result in more replay reviews though...:shrug:

ReynardMuldrake
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
#3 possibly cost us the Raiders game and a trip to the playoffs. Change that shit now! :cuss:

qabbaan
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Sound like good ideas for the most part

Chiefnj2
03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
#3 possibly cost us the Raiders game and a trip to the playoffs. Change that shit now! :cuss:

Replay always works better when it is controlled by the booth.

Fumblerooski
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM

The Chiefs inability to block the middle of the line on field goals cost us the Raider game... Not an overtime rule...

listopencil
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't have a problem with any of those. I'd like to add:

7) If A QB has a really big forehead then you aren't allowed to tackle him.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
1. Giving the authority to determine replay reviews to the replay official in the booth, not the referee on the field..
I think it should all be handled up in the booth

put a veteran official up in the booth. A guy that might be too old to run the field but can still make the calls. He makes all reviews. Having an official review their own call is stupid.

It should also be faster in they do it all up in the booth. The only time play is stopped is when a coach throws a flag or when the booth sees a problem.

i just hope the guys in the NFL booth are faster and more specific than in college

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Good grief..the games aren't long enough...we should figure out ways to make them longer.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't have a problem with any of those. I'd like to add:

7) If A QB has a really big forehead then you aren't allowed to tackle him.

this is the only rule I support.

kcpasco
03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
They really should just give QB's a pink jersey with 15 yard penalty written across the front and back.

whoman69
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
I think they had to go with the new too many men on the field rule after teams like the Giants did it to move time off the clock.

Frazod
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
They need to add one rule, and only one - PUT AN OFFICIAL IN THE BOOTH WITH FULL ACCESS TO EVERY VIDEO FEED, WHO CAN OVERRULE BULLSHIT PENALTIES OR CALL OBVIOUS ONES MISSED ON THE FIELD.

It is infuriating that the announcers and the 100 million people watching on TV know the call was bullshit, or saw the blatant missed call, but the guys operating on the field in real time with their views obscured by a bunch of 300 linemen make the final call.

Of course, this will never happen. Can't rig games that way.

Dayze
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I really wish they would address holding. There are hundreds of times I'll see a blatant hold/hook....no call.
then, a few plays later, what appears to be a good block......penalty.
WTF is holding anymore?

and....the whole fumble before the endzone, but rolls out of the endzone = touchback for the other team drives me insane too.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I really wish they would address holding. There are hundreds of times I'll see a blatant hold/hook....no call.
then, a few plays later, what appears to be a good block......penalty.
WTF is holding anymore?

and....the whole fumble before the endzone, but rolls out of the endzone = touchback for the other team drives me insane too.
they don't want to prevent all holding because that would put the QB's at too much risk.

Guru
03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
They need to watch all the video of Tamba Hali so they understand what a fucking hold looks like.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Hell goddamn no to #7, there's already too damn much reviewing going on.

morphius
03-23-2012, 05:20 PM
If it is done from the booth we probably wouldn't even notice. Heck, I'd like to see them really step up to the plate and look at PI calls. Nothing more disgusting than a WR pushing off a CB, dropping the ball, and having a first and goal because some ref saw some contact and just assumed it was on the D.

alnorth
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Fully agree with #1 and #3. I agree with #7 only because if we are going to automatically review scoring plays, we should probably review turnovers too.

Seriously, this is one innovation that the NHL got right. The replay official should be making the decision, it'll move the game along quicker and shorten the replay time a lot.

Currently, when its within 2 minutes and a replay official sees something he doesn't like, he buzzes the game to a halt, head ref runs or walks to the sideline, puts on the headphones, talks to the replay ref to find out what is it that he thought he saw which caused him to buzz the game to a halt, look in the booth, try to see what the replay ref saw, once he sees what the replay ref was talking about, then finally see it some more to make the call.

What is the point of that? Do we trust the replay ref or not? If he's buzzing the game to a halt, let him make the call. There's no waiting for the head ref, as soon as he buzzes the game to a halt, he's immediately viewing multiple replays from several angles. By the time the head ref has the headphones on, the decision will have probably already been made.

#1 in and of itself, wont increase reviews, that is silly because the replay ref is already deciding if a review should be done inside 2 minutes.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
I just wish they would've stuck with the original replay system. You get two reviews, use them wisely or tough fucking shit.

Nzoner
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
I just wish they would've stuck with the original replay system. You get two reviews, use them wisely or tough ****ing shit.

Tim nailed it earlier,all this replay bullshit is to be able to manipulate over/unders and spreads.There's too damn much money involved for anyone not to think that crap doesn't go on.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-23-2012, 05:47 PM
There is no reason at all that the booth can't handle replays. Can't stand those old farts looking under that stupid hood and still blowing the call.

BigRock
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM

7. Automatically reviewing turnovers via instant replay, just as scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

These have apparently both passed.

Amnorix
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
5. Adopting the college rule for too many men on the field, which is a dead-ball foul if a team lines up on offense for more than three seconds, or if a team on defense lines up with too many men and the snap is imminent. In those cases, the officials will blow the play dead and assess a five-yard penalty. This change wouldn’t affect the rulings on players running off the field who don’t get off in time.

Definitely need to make this change. The Giants had 12 men on the field during the Patriots last, failed drive durign the Super Bowl. The pass was incomplete, but 8 seconds were lost.

Makes no sense. If they don't change the rule, then a defense SHOULD have 12 (or heck, 14) men on the field during a final drive under certain circumstances (time and whether a FG or TD is needed). Obviously can't do it on the FINAL play of the game as a half can't end on a defensive penalty, but...

They definitely need to fix that.

Side note -- it didn't cost the Pats the SB...

Amnorix
03-28-2012, 09:39 AM

Yeah, I hate getting calls right too...

:p

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I hate getting calls right too...

:p
Reviewing them doesn't necessarily mean they get them right.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Reviewing them doesn't necessarily mean they get them right.
moving it up into the booth should REDUCE the delays, not increase them.

a ton of stuff would get reviewed and you wouldn't even know it.

only dam rule i really wanted changed and that's the one they rejected :cuss:

pussy refs don't want someone else overruling them ... they might cry.