PDA

View Full Version : Brockers to visit Chiefs

Von Dumbass
03-24-2012, 12:18 PM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1170898&nid=5775685&fhn=1

LSU defensive lineman Michael Brockers has already visited the Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins and the Tennessee Titans, according to a league source.

And he's scheduled to visit the St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots and the New York Jets.

Several teams drafting in the top 10 are believed to have Brockers under consideration for their first-round selection as he has drawn high grades from NFL scouting directors.

Brockers boosted his draft stock at his campus Pro Day workout by running the 40-yard dash as fast as 4.97 seconds, according to an NFC scout.

Brockers' consensus time was 5.15 seconds and he posted a 30-inch vertical leap, four inches better than he jumped at the NFL scouting combine.

An imposing defensive prospect at 6-foot-6, 322 pounds, Brockers ran the 40-yard dash in 5.36 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and posted a 26 1/2 inch vertical leap.

He also registered an 8-9 broad jump, a 4.81 short shuttle and a 7.46 three-cone drill.

A second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection, Brockers finished third on the team with 9 1/2 tackles for losses. He intercepted a pass against Northwestern State.

For more coverage of the NFL, go to profootball.scout.com.

Follow me on Twitter: @RavensInsider

Bump
03-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd only like this pick if we trade down and get an extra 2nd rounder.

SNR
03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
As a Chiefs fan, what would you think of this pick, Knowmo?

Von Dumbass
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
As a Chiefs fan, what would you think of this pick, Knowmo?

I really don't know. I haven't really been reading up on the draft as much this year as I was last year for some reason.

As a Chiefs fan, I would rather Pioli address the glaring hole at NT before drafting another 5 Tech. But I couldn't tell you if Poe or Ta'amu are worthy of the 11th pick.

Munson
03-24-2012, 01:59 PM
This franchise does NOT need another early first round 5-tech from LSU.

DJ's left nut
03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
If we could deal Dorsey for a 2nd rounder and trade back to about 18 to pick up yet another 2nd rounder, this sounds like a great idea.

Brockers has the chance to actually be a guy like Seymore, a 5-tech that can both occupy blockers and create some push on his own.

This defense can't be truly elite until the down-linemen can actually make an impact. Dorsey isn't that guy and Jackson, surprisingly enough, could be but isn't just yet.

Nightfyre
03-24-2012, 03:46 PM
If we could deal Dorsey for a 2nd rounder and trade back to about 18 to pick up yet another 2nd rounder, this sounds like a great idea.

Brockers has the chance to actually be a guy like Seymore, a 5-tech that can both occupy blockers and create some push on his own.

This defense can't be truly elite until the down-linemen can actually make an impact. Dorsey isn't that guy and Jackson, surprisingly enough, could be but isn't just yet.
Holy shit. Someone who sees what I see. Except, instead of trading down for a first and second this year, I want a first this year and a first next year.

Saccopoo
03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Brockers isn't going to make it to 18.

The guy has an immense ceiling and has good game tape from this past season.

And he's a legit 6'5" and 325 lbs.

He's worth the 11th pick, especially for this defense.

He could easily add another 25 to 40 lbs. and play nose or play the five tech at his current size/weight.

Like someone else said on the Lounge, if Pioli liked Jackson, he's got to absolutely love Brockers.

If he gets past Carolina, I'd be shocked.

I know I'd really like a defensive front of Brockers/Powe/Jackson. That's pretty legit for what Crennel runs. Bring in Bailey and Brockers for third downs...pretty nice.

Coogs
03-24-2012, 09:20 PM
2nd team All-SEC. How can you not get pumped about that at #11?

Nightfyre
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
2nd team All-SEC. How can you not get pumped about that at #11?

As a sophomore!

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 12:39 AM
I like how we're still pretending the trade market for Dorsey will be plentiful as teams will have a hard time finding a younger and cheaper DT in the draft. Oh wait, they won't.

Nightfyre
03-25-2012, 05:24 AM
I like how we're still pretending the trade market for Dorsey will be plentiful as teams will have a hard time finding a younger and cheaper DT in the draft. Oh wait, they won't.

:shrug: What is a year of Dorsey worth to the Chiefs? Plus he is up to NFL speed already. Beats having to wait three years for your new DT to develop.

jspchief
03-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Yeah, whatever true value he could have had was hidden by us switching to the 3-4. The guy might have been good, but no way he's worth a 2nd in a trade now.

Coogs
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
As a sophomore!

OK. That makes more sense.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
:shrug: What is a year of Dorsey worth to the Chiefs? Plus he is up to NFL speed already. Beats having to wait three years for your new DT to develop.

More than what they'd get out of a trade from another team. I'd say teams are more interested in developing a linemen to what they want and paying a much cheaper contract for them.

Dorsey is going to cost a lot more than a DT drafted in the 2nd round.

Chiefshrink
03-26-2012, 12:46 AM
I'd only like this pick if we trade down and get an extra 2nd rounder.

Agreed !

Coogs
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Dorsey is 6-1 297. When he came out of LSU, he tipped the scales at 316. If he was to put the 20 pounds back on, any chance he could move back to the middle of the defense at NT?

BryanBusby
03-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Dorsey is 6-1 297. When he came out of LSU, he tipped the scales at 316. If he was to put the 20 pounds back on, any chance he could move back to the middle of the defense at NT?

Just telling someone to get fatter doesn't qualify them to be a capable NT.

Coogs
03-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Just telling someone to get fatter doesn't qualify them to be a capable NT.

I'm aware of that. But comming out of college, his strenghts according to his scouting reports seem to indicate what could be the makeup of a pretty good NT...

Analysis
StrengthsPositives: Has a thick upper body build that might lack ideal muscle tone, but he does compensate with good initial explosion and raw, natural power...When he stays low in his pads and keeps his hands inside the framework, he generates a good surge off the snap and into the blocker, doing a stellar job of clogging the rush lanes and collapsing the pocket...Shows good ability to redirect and make tackles in the backfield and has the initial burst that allows him to make plays to the outside...Shows good feet and body control working in space and plays with a high motor...Understands blocking schemes and has no trouble retaining plays, picking things up quickly...Has long, functionally strong arms and large hands to grab and drag the ball carriers down...Plays through pain, evident in 2006 when he competed with a stress fracture in his leg, and in 2007 when he refused to sit out any games despite a knee injury and a sore back...Always seems to be in the right position to make the play, showing a good flow to the ball in the short area (lacks timed speed to give chase in long pursuit)...Has a great work ethic and takes well to hard coaching...Good team leader who works hard in the training room...Has the change of direction agility to make plays moving down the line...His acceleration is evident with his short burst and he displays very good stamina (rare to see him run out of gas)...Has a good concept for taking pursuit angles, showing quickness and explosiveness off the snap...Has the ability to create a new line of scrimmage with his initial step and is quick to gain advantage and shoot the gaps...Displays very quick hands and feet coming out of his stance, plus the body control to recover when he out-runs the play...Has become a physically dominant player who demands double-teams, as he does a good job in using his strength and explosiveness to close gaps and play with good leverage...Doesn't give up much ground to double-teams and creates good separation with his long arms...Reacts well to block pressure and locates the ball quickly...Strong inside run defender who consistently keeps his motor running, as he can make plays up and down the line of scrimmage (just lacks long speed on the chase)...Does a nice job of using his quickness and change-of-direction to spin out...Rarely gives up ground vs. double teams (usually only when he gets too high in his stance and leaves his chest exposed)...Has the brute strength in his hands to neutralize...Splits and redirects with leverage, flashing good strength to penetrate...Does an outstanding job of making plays outside the box and down field, as he uses his long arms effectively to create separation...Will chase and make plays in short pursuit, showing aggressiveness and urgency working down the line...Has the power to make explosive tackles and generates good pressure through a combo pass block, destroying fullbacks who get in his path...Possesses good club and rip moves, as well as a good bull rush... Has the ability to create separation from his opponent with an initial strike...Shows a quick burst to close on the quarterback or halfback from inside the box...Separates in the open with good surge and has very good hand technique to control blocks and disengage. Negatives: Has a thick frame and while not sloppy, he does lack solid muscle tone, but does compensate with outstanding initial quickness and lower body strength...While he explodes off the snap, he has just marginal speed to make plays in long pursuit (best when shooting the inside gaps rather than try to make plays on the outside)...Has a strong lower body, but he needs to improve his base (gets narrow in his stance), as blockers have had success getting underneath his pads to lock on and wash him out of the play (see 2007 Tulane, Kentucky and Tennessee, and 2006 Tulane and Mississippi State games)...Must do a better job of planting his foot and anchoring vs. double teams (has good hand placement, but needs to counter better at times)...Best when taking angles or shooting gaps (gets too caught up in the battle when taking on isolated blockers at the point of attack)...Lack of ideal size might limit him to one-gap schemes...Generates good penetration, but for some reason, he fails to seal the deal on the quarterback (has only seven pressures in 51 games)...Does not display an array of pass rush moves, but shows good burst on the bull rush...Good complimentary type, but by declining postseason all-star invites it leaves one to wonder if he can dominate at the next level or is a player who was covered up by the LSU gang-tackling scheme (Tiger defensive linemen in the past have not lived up to their college billing in the NFL). Compares To: WARREN SAPP-Oakland...While both have made a nice living off their explosive initial step, Dorsey does not have the same game-changing ability Sapp displayed during the prime of his career. Let's face it, Dorsey is a good sanitation man (takes out the trash by handling multiple blockers, thus freeing a teammate up to make the play), but if statistics tell the true story, he had just 13 sacks, 27 stops for losses and seven quarterback pressures in 51 collegiate games. While we will follow the party line that he could develop into another Sapp, he also could be a clone of a former LSU Tiger, Anthony McFarland.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glenn-dorsey?id=218

the Talking Can
03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
i think dorsey could be an excellent nt, he basically plays DE like a NT now...but i don't think he has any desire to play the position...

Dicky McElephant
03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
That'd be one expensive ass NT. $50 million for a 2 down lineman?

ChiefsOne
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Don't want another underachieving guy from LSU.

Nightfyre
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Brockers hasn't underachieved. Why do people just make this shit up?

Chiefnj2
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Brockers hasn't underachieved. Why do people just make this shit up?

Can you post a youtube highlight that shows him being a dominant player?

Nightfyre
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Look at his Georgia game or his Alabama tape. He is double and triple teamed and still blowing stuff up pretty often, especially for a RS sophomore.

Chiefnj2
03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Look at his Georgia game or his Alabama tape. He is double and triple teamed and still blowing stuff up pretty often, especially for a RS sophomore.

Thanks. I grabbed the Georgia game. Do you think there is a really big gap between Brockers v. Georgia and Billy Winn v. Georgia?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wK35SHUBbNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DQp5lx-hdCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Can you show me a bunch of sophomores that dominated SEC competition?

The kid more than held his own as a 20 year-old; he's going to be a very good ballplayer.

I'm definitely warming to the idea, but he needs to be someone that our scouts believe can actually collapse the pocket on his own. No more of this merely occupying blockers during passing downs bullshit.

Nightfyre
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I think the gap between Winn and Brockers is significant for the following reasons:
1) Brockers demonstrates the ability to two-gap in his tape.
2) Brockers is better at getting his hands up and disrupting throwing lanes.
3) And this might be stood out to me the most: Brockers is ridiculous at sniffing out what is going on in a given play. Like supernaturally good.

ChiefMojo
04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Personally I don't want Brockers in the 1st as I feel that Kendall Reyes of UConn is going to be a better prospect. Brockers may be bigger (6'6", 322-pounds - 5.15) but Reyes is much more athletic and more explosive off the ball (6'4", 300-pounds - 4.9) and we could likely get him in the 2nd round if we want a 3-4 DE. I know the Chiefs talked to Reyes at the Senior Bowl.

O.city
04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
So, why would it not work for Dorsey to gain some weight and move to NT?

He seems to do basically what a NT would do at DE.

Draft Brockers, move Dorsey at a heavier weight to NT.

Brockers, Dorsey, Jackson? The Bayou Bengal front?

Dmello12
04-03-2012, 06:17 PM
i realize this guy is young and has room to grow. but im not seeing this explosion that he is said to have. watching his videos he is almost always the last one on the dline to engage the offensive line and hes lined up on the guard, seems a little slow off the ball to me. i feel he will be a good nfl player but not worth the 11th pick for sure

SNR
04-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Can you show me a bunch of sophomores that dominated SEC competition?

The kid more than held his own as a 20 year-old; he's going to be a very good ballplayer.
I know these are two entirely different players, but wasn't the same thing basically said of Amobi Okoye coming out of the draft?

DJ's left nut
04-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I know these are two entirely different players, but wasn't the same thing basically said of Amobi Okoye coming out of the draft?

Okoye was a 4-year player at college, though. When people referred to his age, they were referring almost exclusively to his ability to physically mature. And to be honest, Okoye has matured more physically, his skills just never really rounded into form. As a 4-year player, his skills already had quite a bit of time to develop. Further, even though he was young, he had 4 years on an NCAA strength program as opposed to only Brockers. He would've left college closer to his physical ceiling than Brockers even though they were the same age just because he was in an NCAA strength program longer.

Brockers gives you more room to mature physically and from a raw skills perspective. Further, there was a fair amount of 'Poe' in Okoye in that he was a combine freak that never really dominated pretty mediocre competition at Louisville. Though his Senior season was pretty impressive, it damn sure wasn't against SEC competition.

Finally, while Okoye hasn't been the monster some thought he could be, he's been a solid NFL player. You'd like to see more than that from your #11 overall pick, but about 1/2 the teams in the draft would take the production that the Bears and Texans got from Okoye instead of what they got with their first rounder.

I understand the concern; being young doesn't guarantee further development. But for a young kid to make 2nd team all-SEC as a sophomore is a lot more impressive than an equally young kid getting all Big-East honors as a senior. I'd imagine a team comprised of 2nd team all-SEC players would destroy the first team all Big-East.

xztop12
04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
hes pretty violent with his hands and he's just so long that he can go from engaged with a blocker to leg tackling a runner 10 feet in either way with one step. perfect for what we want from 3-4 end

DJ's left nut
04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I think xztop has come up with the appropriate term; violent is a good word to use here.

We talk about 'explosive' as though it's to be applied to a 4-3 end. That's not what we're looking for from this kind of 3-4 end. No amount of raw speed is going to turn a 5-tech into a speed rusher.

When I look at 'explosion' I'm really referring to raw impact; force and drive at the line. And really, a better word for that is 'violent'. Brockers is simply violent at the point of attack.

JJ Watt is not an 'explosive' DE, but he's a very violent one; he engages the line with purpose and uses his hands to create havoc in the trenches. Brockers can be a better version of that kind of player, IMO.

Nightfyre
04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
In a pass scenario, a 3-4 DE's primary responsibility is collapsing the pocket while occupying blockers in order to keep the rushers free and push the QB into the rushers. Brockers can push the pocket against double and triple teams at the SEC level. In addition, he also closes down passing lanes by getting his arms up, which is a secondary responsibility. I mean, I think he deflected four passes in the Georgia game alone and forced the QB to pull the ball down a couple additional times, effectively busting the play. The guy is a playmaker.

beach tribe
04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
I've watched a lot of this guy, and am thoroughly unimpressed.

Edit: whoops. Was thinking about Upshaw from AL.

ChiefMojo
04-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm perfectly fine with Brockers on a trade down scenario but not at #11. Would rather take DeCastro or Kuechly at that spot. On a trade down Brockers, Hightower and Barron come into my picture.

Dave Lane
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd like to not take a project with our #1. A trade down fine. a #2 fine. Your #1 pick should be ready to play right off the bat or be a QB with huge upside.

ChiefMojo
04-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Reason I'm afraid of Tannehill, Poe and Brockers. I want someone that will make a immediate impact and doesn't need grooming. That is why I'm big on Kuechly and DeCastro.

KCDC
04-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I'd like to not take a project with our #1. A trade down fine. a #2 fine. Your #1 pick should be ready to play right off the bat or be a QB with huge upside.

Agree, Save "projects" for the later rounds.

Saccopoo
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Many of the first round choices are picked because of their upside versus ready to play type of guys. You take a guy with the highest ceiling/potential their because those guys aren't in the later rounds (which are populated with guys who will be able to perform now, but might not have the upside).

Brockers has a tremendous ceiling based on his on the field production last season as well as his size/weight/athletic ability and what he can grow into with next level coaching and training. The guy has "beyond" prototype for a 34 defensive end, and has the potential for NT or off nose tackle (like Ngata plays for the Ravens).