PDA

View Full Version : Man Corners

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I noticed in more than a few mock drafts on this site and others keep allocating zone corners to the Chiefs. This is an easily fixable mistake, so consider this a public service to make your mock drafts more accurate going forward.

The signing of Stanford Routt should signal to everybody here that the Chiefs are only interested in man corners. Zone corners aren't a fit for the system the Chiefs will run.

This largely means that if you are going to mock a zone corner to the Chiefs, please do so a round or two after they are projected. Man teams do take zone corners, but usually only if they fall past where a zone team should have taken them.

Meanwhile, I'd keep your eyes trained on the list of man corners and "either" corners for the Chiefs. As always, this is not an exhaustive list of corners, but this is a start with about thirty who popped up in my mind.

Here's a short guide for those who aren't in the know. In parentheses, where they're projected in the draft.

Man corners:

Morris Claiborne, LSU (1)
Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama (1)
Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (2)
Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina (3)
Jamell Fleming, Oklahoma (4)
Asa Jackson, California Poly (5)
Jeremy Lane, Northwestern State (6)
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame (7)
Micah Pellerin, Hampton (UDFA)
Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson (UDFA)
Cliff Harris, Oregon (UDFA)

Zone corners:

Stephen Gilmore, South Carolina (2)
Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt (2)
Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech (2)
Josh Robinson, Central Florida (3)
Leonard Johnson, Iowa State (3)
Coryell Judie, Texas A&M (5)
Shaun Prater, Iowa (5)
Keith Tandy, West Virginia (5)
Ryan Steed, Furman (5)
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College (6)
D'Anton Lynn, Penn State (6)
Robert Golden, Arizona (7)
Desmond Marrow, Toledo (UDFA)

Either:

Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama (more zone) (1)
Chase Minnefield, Virginia (more zone) (2)
Brandon Boykin, Georgia (more man) (3)
Trumaine Johnson, Montana (more zone) (3)
Dwight Bentley, Louisiana-Lafayette (more zone) (3)
DeQuan Menzie, Alabama (more man) (5)
Emanuel Davis, East Carolina (more man) (6)
Omar Bolden, Arizona State (7)
Justin Bethal, Presbyterian (more zone) (7)
Mike Harris, Florida State (UDFA)

whoman69
03-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure we even look into corner at this draft. We seem to be pretty well set at the position with young players.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure we even look into corner at this draft. We seem to be pretty well set at the position with young players.

And yet... if Flowers or Routt go down, we're fucked, aren't we?

Urc Burry
03-25-2012, 11:58 AM
If Jenkins wasn't such a punk he may of been the best corner in the draft. Depending on how far he falls I may be interested.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 12:36 PM
If Jenkins wasn't such a punk he may of been the best corner in the draft. Depending on how far he falls I may be interested.

Pioli won't be.

I guaran-damn-tee you the Pioli regime still feels the headache they got from Jonathan Baldwin early in the season.

the Talking Can
03-25-2012, 01:25 PM

pioli has drafted cb each year, i think

routt is on essentially a 1 year deal...

whoman69
03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
You can only carry so many CBs. We've dropped quite a few safeties from last year's team. I would expect us to be looking for depth there.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
You can only carry so many CBs. We've dropped quite a few safeties from last year's team. I would expect us to be looking for depth there.

It's not either/or.

RustShack
03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
When ISU played big time receivers Johnson was locked in on them man and completely shut them down.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 10:17 PM
If you're looking for a man corner with good size and can be a good contributor vs the run, Josh Norman would be appealing and should go in the range that Pioli starts taking them.

Saccopoo
03-25-2012, 11:13 PM
And yet... if Flowers or Routt go down, we're ****ed, aren't we?

Not really.

Brown looked pretty good in the games he got a chance to get on the field. Showed nice instincts and was pretty aggressive in going after the ball and when making the tackle.

As well, nobody thinks about Arenas, but he's a playmaker when he gets the chance to get into the backfield.

Not worried at all actually.

DJ's left nut
03-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Trumaine Johnson in the 3rd would be a great pick for the Chiefs, IMO. I actually think he's a better fit as a man corner, but needs some coaching to reach that potential. Worst case scenario is excellent safety depth if he doesn't pan out. I also don't think I'd classify Gilmore as a zone corner, maybe not Hosley either. Dennard, OTOH, I probably would; he doesn't have the skill-set to play on an island, IMO.

DJ's left nut
03-26-2012, 10:03 AM
When ISU played big time receivers Johnson was locked in on them man and completely shut them down.

He'd get raped if they tried that with him at the next level. I don't see anything in Johnson that suggests that he should be playing man corner in the NFL. Looks like a great Nickle, but I don't even know that he's a starter in a zone scheme, let alone man.

RustShack
03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
He'd get raped if they tried that with him at the next level. I don't see anything in Johnson that suggests that he should be playing man corner in the NFL. Looks like a great Nickle, but I don't even know that he's a starter in a zone scheme, let alone man.

I can see your point if you don't think Justin Blackmon is a NFL WR.

Nightfyre
03-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Trumaine Johnson in the 3rd would be a great pick for the Chiefs, IMO. I actually think he's a better fit as a man corner, but needs some coaching to reach that potential. Worst case scenario is excellent safety depth if he doesn't pan out. I also don't think I'd classify Gilmore as a zone corner, maybe not Hosley either. Dennard, OTOH, I probably would; he doesn't have the skill-set to play on an island, IMO.

Trumaine Johnson will disappoint in the NFL.

DJ's left nut
03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Trumaine Johnson will disappoint in the NFL.

Certainly could.

He has a pretty significant bust potential, no question. At the same time, it's not like he's a 1st or 2nd rounder. He's a guy with 1st or 2nd round talent but is so raw that he'll need a lot of coaching up to harness it. He's also just cocky enough to ignore the coaching (at the same time, that cockiness will be perfect if he uses it to his advantage out there; it was swagger that finally allowed Carr to make the leap last year).

He's a good candidate for a 3rd or 4th round pick, IMO, in that he has the talent to far outperform that draft slot. He's the opposite of a guy like Dennard, who presents little to no risk of being a complete washout, but as a likely 2nd round pick isn't terribly likely to really outshine his draft status either. Leonard Johnson is a great example, actually, since he and Trumaine probably going to go around the same points in the draft.

Leonard is probably a little more likely to be an NFL player in 5 years; his floor is pretty high. Trumaine, OTOH, is far more likely to be a legitimate difference maker; his ceiling is much higher. I guess at that point it's a question of philosophies.

I'll take the upside guy that may very easily flame out in spectacular fashion and take the chance that I get an elite player for my efforts when we're talking about the 3rd and 4th rounds.

DJ's left nut
03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I can see your point if you don't think Justin Blackmon is a NFL WR.

10 receptions for 99 yards and a TD; yeah, really shut him down. And the Cowboys had a bizarre gameplan in that game where they weren't sending Blackmon downfield much for most of the game. At the end when they started going back to pushing the football, Blackmon was having his way with Johnson.

I know, you're a homer and I'm not going to change your mind, but Leonard Johnson is not a man corner at the next level.

Nightfyre
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Certainly could.

He has a pretty significant bust potential, no question. At the same time, it's not like he's a 1st or 2nd rounder. He's a guy with 1st or 2nd round talent but is so raw that he'll need a lot of coaching up to harness it. He's also just cocky enough to ignore the coaching (at the same time, that cockiness will be perfect if he uses it to his advantage out there; it was swagger that finally allowed Carr to make the leap last year).

He's a good candidate for a 3rd or 4th round pick, IMO, in that he has the talent to far outperform that draft slot. He's the opposite of a guy like Dennard, who presents little to no risk of being a complete washout, but as a likely 2nd round pick isn't terribly likely to really outshine his draft status either. Leonard Johnson is a great example, actually, since he and Trumaine probably going to go around the same points in the draft.

Leonard is probably a little more likely to be an NFL player in 5 years; his floor is pretty high. Trumaine, OTOH, is far more likely to be a legitimate difference maker; his ceiling is much higher. I guess at that point it's a question of philosophies.

I'll take the upside guy that may very easily flame out in spectacular fashion and take the chance that I get an elite player for my efforts when we're talking about the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Trumaine isn't really even all that athletic. Plus I have watched him get torched by FCS players (including Elvis Akpla.) Plus he's a UM Grizzly and I am a MSU Bobcat so I will gain particular satisfaction from watching him crash and burn.

RustShack
03-26-2012, 10:27 PM
10 receptions for 99 yards and a TD; yeah, really shut him down. And the Cowboys had a bizarre gameplan in that game where they weren't sending Blackmon downfield much for most of the game. At the end when they started going back to pushing the football, Blackmon was having his way with Johnson.

I know, you're a homer and I'm not going to change your mind, but Leonard Johnson is not a man corner at the next level.

Blackmon was shut down the first half and they went to him several times. When you have that talent and are thrown to as much as him you're going to get one eventually. A lot of the catches ended up coming from screens in the second half and like I said the targets keep coming you're going to get one eventually... that's where the yards came from.

RustShack
03-26-2012, 10:30 PM
And I talk him up way more than the OL who's going to get drafted higher. I think LJ ends up with the better career.

RustShack
03-27-2012, 12:08 PM
But you can rewatch the game if you need to. Most of the game they were just talking about how frustrated Blackmon had to be and hes not used to being shut down like this. Also triple overtime can help pad your stats.

I'm not saying hes the best CB, but hes going to be a steal.