PDA

View Full Version : What I think a mock for the Chiefs might look like.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Assuming, of course, the Chiefs don't move from #11 or anywhere else in the draft.

1. OG David DeCastro, Stanford

DeCastro is by far the front runner to be the Chiefs' selection at #11 overall, if they stay there. In this scenario, Ryan Lilja would be released.

The only other conceivable option I see here is not Mark Barron, but his co-captain at Alabama, Courtney Upshaw. Upshaw is a team captain, plays an important position, and can play multiple positions, and comes from the battle-tested Alabama defense.

Upshaw's problems are two-fold: we already have an OLB passrusher from the SEC starting, and Upshaw's mobility looks a hair too limited to be an upright passrusher. This team also signed Belcher for a year, so seeing him as the thumper ILB isn't a good fit financially.

2. OLB Andre Branch, Clemson

I love just about all of the defensive players coming out for Clemson this year, and if Branch falls to the second round, the Chiefs could go for him. He's a team captain with fantastic athleticism. This guy isn't insurance for Justin Houston, he is a potential starter over Justin Houston.

I think there's a chance Branch falls. He's not the sexiest pick in the late-1st, early-2nd range (Ronnell Lewis is much flashier), and the Patriots have two of those picks in the late 1st and they hate taking rushbackers in the 1st.

3. NT Josh Chapman, Alabama

Chapman is a hair undersized to play NT, but he's tailor made for Crennel's defense. Pioli loves grabbing defensive lineman from the SEC, and Chapman is a pure run-stuffing nose, a great technician at the position with limitless toughness -- he played most of 2011 injured. I think there will be a couple of sneaky busts to come off the Alabama defense because they fed off Chapman's strong play (I think Upshaw will be one of them).

That injury history and slight undersized stature will land him in the third. Spending a third on Chapman doesn't prevent the Chiefs from looking at any of the franchise-caliber noses coming out in 2013.

4. CB Jamell Fleming, Oklahoma

The Chiefs have shown an affinity for taking corner depth in the midrounds, so I see no reason why they should stop.

Fleming is a talented man corner with starter upside. The Chiefs will want to take another corner with starter upside in the event they want to part ways with Routt after this season. Fleming and Jalil Brown will battle it out.

5. FS Trenton Robinson, Michigan State

Robinson seems to me to be the kind of player Pioli loves at the safety position: they are solid (extremely consistent stats over the last two seasons), physically gifted (Robinson runs a sub 4.5 40), and are willing to get their hands dirty on special teams.

Robinson's also a team captain. He's another great presense to add to an already character-heavy lockerroom, and he's the kind of guy who will love blowing shit up on special teams for a year, then pushing the incumbent for a starting position in 2013.

6. SS Winston Guy Jr, Kentucky

I've loved Guy all year as a mid-rounder. I love him even more as a late rounder.

He doesn't have many physical gifts... his size is good, but his speed is lacking. But Pioli doesn't shy away from taking these players in the secondary (i.e. Kendrick Lewis) if they play the angles well. And there may be no better strong safety at taking angles than Guy in this draft. I'm not kidding. He's had multiple seasons at Kentucky with triple-digit tackle numbers.

We won't need him if Berry stays healthy, but the safety position was an utter disaster without him last year.

7. C Adam Gettis, Iowa

Very hard to decipher what Pioli will ever do in the 7th round, because he typically takes his pet projects here regardless of value.

I think Gettis has the ability to be one of those pet projects. He is an undersized technician out of Iowa who will remind Pioli of Casey Wiegmann.

7. RB Brandon Bolden, Ole Miss

The Chiefs were one of the lightest teams in the NFL last year. I'd like to think that's changed with the signing of Boss, Winston, and Hillis. But they'll need to get thicker and stronger to compete with the Ravens and Steelers.

Hillis is the answer there, but both Hillis and Charles have injury histories. Bringing in another back is a good idea. Bolden is 220+ lbs and was Ole Miss' workhorse the past couple of seasons. He will fall this year because of the abundance of big backs in the 2012 draft, and of course he was injured this season which limited him to less than 500 yards rushing.

He nonetheless is a yardage-fighter with 4.5 speed. Could remind Pioli of Jackie Battle. And would be a good guy to have as an insurance policy.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:48 AM
QB: Cassel, Quinn, Stanzi
RB: Hillis, Charles, McCluster, Bolden
FB: Bannon

WR: Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Copper, McCluster
TE: Moeaki, Boss, Maneri

LT: Albert, Mims
LG: DeCastro, Harris
C: Hudson, Gettis
RG: Asamoah, Harris
RT: Winston, Mims

DE: Dorsey, Bailey
NT: Chapman, Gordon, Powe
DE: Jackson, Gordon

OLB: Hali, Sheffield
ILB: Belcher, Siler
ILB: Johnson, Siler
OLB: Houston, Branch

CB: Flowers, Routt, Arenas, Fleming, Brown
S: Berry, Lewis, Robinson, Guy

Nightfyre
03-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I think Upshaw will bust in the NFL simply because he used technique and instinct to cover his lack of athletic ability. If you have to do that at the collegiate level, you will be exposed in the NFL.

whoman69
03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Outside the first pick a pretty defense minded draft. I would think they would be looking to pick up a TE for depth and possibility that Moeaki cannot return from being brokedick.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Outside the first pick a pretty defense minded draft. I would think they would be looking to pick up a TE for depth and possibility that Moeaki cannot return from being brokedick.

It's possible.

Honestly, I've just been trying to narrow down the draft to Pioli type players, and it just so happens this draft is heavy in defensive players that fit what he likes, and light on offensive players.

Nightfyre
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
If I may hijack your thread direckshun, purely for the sake of discussion:
I still think trade down is the way to go. If I am the Chiefs, my big board in the 15-25 range goes something like this:
A) Brockers
B) Jenkins
C) Perry
D) DeCastro
E) Glenn
F) Konz
G) Barron

My draft goes something like this:
Trade back to 19 with the Bears, who are trading up for Coples.
1) Michael Brockers, DE, LSU
2) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
3) Mychael Kendricks, ILB, California
4) David Molk, C, Michigan
5) Sean Richardson, S, Vanderbilt
6) Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State
7a) James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma
7b) Elvis Akpla, WR, Montana State

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
I enjoy the draft, but...

If I may hijack your thread direckshun, purely for the sake of discussion:
I still think trade down is the way to go. If I am the Chiefs, my big board in the 15-25 range goes something like this:
A) Brockers
B) Jenkins
C) Perry
D) DeCastro
E) Glenn
F) Konz
G) Barron

Pioli's never going to touch Jenkins because of the problems we had with Baldwin this past year. Perry doesn't fit the defense too well, though I certainly wouldn't say no, and it will take some squeezing to fit Glenn and Konz (both power blockers) into the zone blocking scheme.

Brockers... I've just never liked.

DeCastro and Barron fit the most. And I don't see this team double-dipping at safety in two of three years. But Pioli does always find a way to surprise.

Nightfyre
03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
I enjoy the draft, but...

Pioli's never going to touch Jenkins because of the problems we had with Baldwin this past year. Perry doesn't fit the defense too well, though I certainly wouldn't say no, and it will take some squeezing to fit Glenn and Konz (both power blockers) into the zone blocking scheme.

Brockers... I've just never liked.

DeCastro and Barron fit the most. And I don't see this team double-dipping at safety in two of three years. But Pioli does always find a way to surprise.
Jenkins mirrors Baldwin in that he is a top 5 talent who could be elite if he gets his act together. If you can acquire that in the mid-late first round, you do it.

Yes, Glenn and Konz are products of a power blocking scheme. But that is why they are so far down the Board. However, you have to consider them given their skill sets and ability. Most especially, you have to consider Glenn for his versatility. As for Brockers, I am understandably having trouble selling him on this Board. Yes, he's another LSU d-lineman. However, you have to look at him for what he can become! He can be Richard Seymour. He's coming out as a sophomore, so you are getting a discount simply because there isn't much tape on him.