PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: Kuechly has the look of being the guy.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
First of all, it's pronounced "Keekly." Hear it here (http://thenameengine.com/name.aspx?id=1935&name=Luke-Kuechly-&cat=96).

The name is popping up in several different places, from Field Yates (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257770) to a thread I started (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8484001#post8484001) where all the Pioli factors led to him being the clearest "Pioli pick" among the top 25 or so prospects.

Here's some tape.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lbpNkBiLDeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My guess at this point, given the stuff Yates said, is that Kuechly has attracted the attention of the coaching staff and Crennel thinks he finally has a surefire Mike 'backer that can lock down the position at a Pro Bowl caliber.

I'm underwhelmed by it, but I can see it from Pioli and Crennel's point of view. And it loads up our front seven with yet another 1st round pick.

Bowser
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Well, aside from it being a safe pick in regards to what we need on the team, I believe it will be a safe pick in terms of nobody else looking at him that high.

I'd be ok with Keek-ley.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
I will say that I love Kuechly's closing speed @ 2:30 in the OP.

Single-handedly prevented a touchdown.

That kinda stuff you can expect from Kuechly all the time in the NFL. Plus, for what it's worth, Boston College players almost always seem to pan out.

Count Zarth
03-25-2012, 09:54 PM
It's about time we had our Bobby Carpenter-esque bust to bitch about.

Chocolate Hog
03-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Good player but looking at the draft order now that the Eagles got Ryans we can afford to trade down and still get him. Let's hope the Jets really like Reiff.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I will say this, Belcher isn't as athletic, but he sure hits the hole like a missile.

I don't see that in Kuechly. I do see a ton of plays Belcher can't make, though. And apparently that's the kind of guy the Chiefs want in that reactive man defense.

Frankie
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Worth the 11th pick? If he's a reach for there, I'd rather reach for a QB with a high ceiling. That particular QB is getting a tan on a hill right now. ;)

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
The draft placement of our starting front seven if we get Kuechly:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=1123

SNR
03-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Kuechly = Keekly, not Kooekly

Reiff = Rieff, not Rife

I think the Chiefs should try to draft Raymond Luxury Yacht in the 3rd.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tyQvjKqXA0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ZootedGranny
03-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Looking forward to his weekly radio show "Turf Talk with Kuech da Sneak. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkOV3U08yI)"

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Good player but looking at the draft order now that the Eagles got Ryans we can afford to trade down and still get him. Let's hope the Jets really like Reiff.

I'm not sure about that. The Seahawks hold the pick right after the Chiefs and haven't really shown interest in re-signing Hawthorne. Until they do, I think he goes off the board at 12 if the Chiefs pass.

SPATCH
03-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Also follows the white-ification trend we're seeing this offseason.

BryanBusby
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Scott Pioli is an avid visitor of CasteFootball

patteeu
03-25-2012, 10:21 PM

And weren't we led to believe that Houston might have been a first rounder if not for his marijuana indiscretion at the combine?

Okie_Apparition
03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
So the silence has been lifted for this, now

patteeu
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
So the silence has been lifted for this, now

My understanding is that the guy no longer works for the Chiefs.

Okie_Apparition
03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Alot can happen since January 2011
like the suck of the 2011 season
KC Scout 8/09 - 4/10

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
And weren't we led to believe that Houston might have been a first rounder if not for his marijuana indiscretion at the combine?

Bingo, Ringo.

Okie_Apparition
03-25-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.linkedin.com/in/fieldyates

I'm sorry this is kinda funny

J Diddy
03-25-2012, 10:41 PM

That kinda stuff you can expect from Kuechly all the time in the NFL. Plus, for what it's worth, Boston College players almost always seem to pan out.

Like Mike cloud?

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Like Mike cloud?

I've liked far more Boston College prospects in recent years than I've disliked.

Matt Ryan, BJ Raji, and so on. They typically pan out. Much higher rate than other schools.

Tombstone RJ
03-25-2012, 10:56 PM
First of all, it's pronounced "Keekly." Hear it here (http://thenameengine.com/name.aspx?id=1935&name=Luke-Kuechly-&cat=96).

The name is popping up in several different places, from Field Yates (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257770) to a thread I started (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8484001#post8484001) where all the Pioli factors led to him being the clearest "Pioli pick" among the top 25 or so prospects.

Here's some tape.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lbpNkBiLDeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My guess at this point, given the stuff Yates said, is that Kuechly has attracted the attention of the coaching staff and Crennel thinks he finally has a surefire Mike 'backer that can lock down the position at a Pro Bowl caliber.

I'm underwhelmed by it, but I can see it from Pioli and Crennel's point of view. And it loads up our front seven with yet another 1st round pick.

Keekly is nice but drafting him at 11 is too high.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Whom do you draft then.

DA_T_84
03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Definitely has to be a defensive pick. The only spot on offense we need outside of QB is a Guard, and we can get that at another point.

On Defense, we have three major spots: NT, Safety #3, and ILB.

Because we play 50-60% of our plays from sub sets that feature extra DB's, the glaring hole at Safety #3 cannot be overlooked. Its basically a starting spot that needs filled, nevermind the awful position we are in if Berry or Lewis go down.

I think if we are somehow able to slide down a few spots and get still get Kuechly AND Barron, we will come out like champs. Especially if we are also able to snag a NT in the second round.

Our Defense is fucking set if that happens.

Then grab a guard/center in round 3, tackle depth in round 4, then BPA after that....

Literally the only starting spot we'd have left to fill would be QB.

BossChief
03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
This guy is not some special talent at inside backer.

To go at 11, you need to be Patrick Willis good.

Either that, or you need to be a good pass rusher.

This guy is Aaron Curry.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
This guy is not some special talent at inside backer.

To go at 11, you need to be Patrick Willis good.

Either that, or you need to be a good pass rusher.

This guy is Aaron Curry.

Thoughts on Jerrod Mayo? James Farrior?

Top 10 picks that two-gapping teams have used on the Mike position.

Chocolate Hog
03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Some would say Perry is too high at 11 but I think that's the pick I go with unless Tannehill is there.

Tombstone RJ
03-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Whom do you draft then.

kc should trade down then take him. Or, take Tannehill if he's there at 11.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Some would say Perry is too high at 11 but I think that's the pick I go with unless Tannehill is there.

You may want Perry to be the pick (as do I), but he's not "the pick."

ForeverChiefs58
03-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Carolina has been looking at him at #9, but I just don't see him going that high. I could see the Seahawks or Eagles being interested after us. The video in the OP is a little older too, I believe from his actual 09 season. His next year he really lit it up and had even more positives and less negatives. Each year he has really gotten better and better.

If BC had gone to a bowl game last year he would have had over 200 tackles for the year, which is as insane as it is incredible. He is a monster on the field, but has a lot of room for growth, and can add more muscle and get stronger.

I heard an interview with him where he said he would like to model his play and intensity after Ray Lewis. Made me chuckle because he is as good off the field as on, so he won't kill anyone. lol

BossChief
03-25-2012, 11:11 PM
This would be real nice:

Trade down a few spots and take Kuechly, adding a second or third rounder.

Move up from our second round pick to take Barron using the ammo from the trade down.

Take Chapman in the third.

I could live with that out of our first three picks

Kuechly
Barron
Chapman

Chocolate Hog
03-25-2012, 11:11 PM
You may want Perry to be the pick (as do I), but he's not "the pick."

Maybe but Kuelchy round 1 Curry round 2

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/895/2i6m24jjpg.png

Phobia
03-25-2012, 11:14 PM

Cute graphic. Makes a point. But don't really care where anybody was drafted once that ship sails. I care about their production. The only people who care about where a guy was drafted are agents and accountants.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Cute graphic. Makes a point. But don't really care where anybody was drafted once that ship sails. I care about their production. The only people who care about where a guy was drafted are agents and accountants.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=1124

Phobia
03-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Thank you for the effort. You're safe for another day.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
fold.

FYP

SNR
03-25-2012, 11:31 PM
This would be real nice:

Trade down a few spots and take Kuechly, adding a second or third rounder.

Move up from our second round pick to take Barron using the ammo from the trade down.

Take Chapman in the third.

I could live with that out of our first three picks

Kuechly
Barron
ChapmanYep. There are several talented RBs and interior linemen in the 4-5 rounds. We'd get the high-quality depth needed at those positions and also bolster the makings of the top defense in the NFL

Yes, I said THE top defense in the NFL. Our back 7 is FINISHED if we make those first three picks. All that remains is to figure out what to do about Dorsey next year, which is an easy problem to solve. Especially if Country Strong plays like I think he will this year.

KCrockaholic
I'm not much of a fan of taking Kuechly that high.

I've watched his games enough during the off-season. He allows too many plays to go to him, rather than him going to the play before it happens. His tackle numbers are off the charts. Teams will run plays right at him, because like I stated, he doesn't hit the hole, and fill. He waits, and lets the play come to him, which is exactly the opposite kind of LB the Chiefs need next to DJ.

I think he's a great athlete. He's smart. Reminds me of Paul Posluszny in some ways. And I wouldn't touch Posluszny in the top 15 if he was in this class.

If we want a guy who can make a run stuffing impact, then trade down, and take Donta Hightower in the late 1st. He is the type of player we should be looking at.

Hell, if Upshaw fell to us, it would be smart to make that pick also. Upshaw would give our LB group some versatility because I feel that Upshaw can play inside or outside in a 3-4. And say Houston or even Hali went down for any period of time, Upshaw could come in and the downgrade wouldn't be as severe.

I'm not against Mark Barron at 11. Although I think he has moments in coverage where he can get beat over the top. If we did select him though it would allow Berry to sit back deep, and Barron would be a great in the box safety for specific situations. Not to mention we like to a sub package alignment which features 3 safeties. Having Barron, Berry, and Lewis all on the field would be terrific.

Just a few of my thoughts.

BossChief
Thoughts on Jerrod Mayo? James Farrior?

Top 10 picks that two-gapping teams have used on the Mike position.

I wouldn't take either of them at 11 this year.

Farrior was drafted 15 years ago when the NFL was still a running league. Back then, I might think of it differently.

I wouldn't be MAD if we took a guy like Kuechly, but I would be disappointed...I just think there are better picks that would impact the team more.

Thats all.

Chocolate Hog
03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
We need more than 29 sacks fellas.

Chiefshrink
03-25-2012, 11:40 PM

Is he as nasty as Romanowksi a former alum of BC? We could use some more nastiness without the 'spitting in the face' of course:D

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm not much of a fan of taking Kuechly that high.

I've watched his games enough during the off-season. He allows too many plays to go to him, rather than him going to the play before it happens. His tackle numbers are off the charts. Teams will run plays right at him, because like I stated, he doesn't hit the hole, and fill. He waits, and lets the play come to him, which is exactly the opposite kind of LB the Chiefs need next to DJ.

I'm sorry, but this is clinically stupid.

You're telling me that teams would purposefully run plays to the most talented player on Boston College's defense.

That's your argument. That's what you're claiming teams are actually gameplanning for. They're ignoring the dreadful talent everywhere else and actually going for the guy with NFL upside.

That's assinine.

Kuechly is instinctual and has an unrivaled nose for the ball. Teams aren't going to the drawing board and saying "we should really target the best player on their defense rather than the Just A Guys who can't stop shit. I think that's the key to victory here."

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Is he as nasty as Romanowksi a former alum of BC? We could use some more nastiness without the 'spitting in the face' of course:D

He's got some attitude, yes.

He's not a hyperaggressive tone-setter, though.

BossChief
03-25-2012, 11:48 PM

Exactly.

Now, I firmly believe that the more Bailey is integrated into the defense and Houston is allowed to use his talents as a pass rusher more often, that will improve our pass rush as is.

That said, we need depth there and we have NONE. If Hali or Houston go down, it takes our defense down.

Give me a pass rusher or Safety over a guard or ILB all day, every day.

Adding Barron gives our pass rush that much longer to get to the quarterback...if we draft a pass rusher, it allows the defense to have to cover for a shorter period of time and it also lessens the accuracy of the passes headed their direction.

I guess I just dont see Kuechly having anywhere near that amount of impact on this defense.

Fruit Ninja
03-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Worth the 11th pick? If he's a reach for there, I'd rather reach for a QB with a high ceiling. That particular QB is getting a tan on a hill right now. ;)

I dont thin he makes it past Cleveland. I think he's going before we pick.

Direckshun
03-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Exactly.

Now, I firmly believe that the more Bailey is integrated into the defense and Houston is allowed to use his talents as a pass rusher more often, that will improve our pass rush as is.

That said, we need depth there and we have NONE. If Hali or Houston go down, it takes our defense down.

Give me a pass rusher or Safety over a guard or ILB all day, every day.

Adding Barron gives our pass rush that much longer to get to the quarterback...if we draft a pass rusher, it allows the defense to have to cover for a shorter period of time and it also lessens the accuracy of the passes headed their direction.

I guess I just dont see Kuechly having anywhere near that amount of impact on this defense.

I don't disagree.

Fruit Ninja
03-25-2012, 11:50 PM
kc should trade down then take him. Or, take Tannehill if he's there at 11.

Ok, say Tannenhill is gone and you cant find a trade partner?

People always think the answer is trade down. Well you need someone that will Trade up.

KCrockaholic
03-25-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry, but this is clinically stupid.

You're telling me that teams would purposefully run plays to the most talented player on Boston College's defense.

That's your argument. That's what you're claiming teams are actually gameplanning for. They're ignoring the dreadful talent everywhere else and actually going for the guy with NFL upside.

That's assinine.

Kuechly is instinctual and has an unrivaled nose for the ball. Teams aren't going to the drawing board and saying "we should really target the best player on their defense rather than the Just A Guys who can't stop shit. I think that's the key to victory here."

....I said nothing about teams game planning to go right at him. I said they will run at him. They aren't afraid to do so. He's a read and react LB. He's instinctive sure, but he's hardly a game changer. I think he's a fit with a specific type of team. He'd make a great MLB in a 4-3. But as far as what KC should be looking for, Kuechly is not that type of player. He's not worthy of being taken in the top 15.

BossChief
03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
As far as trading down goes, teams will be wanting to move up for some of these guys.

Richardson
Martin
Tanehill
Ingram
Claiborne
Coples
Reiff

one of those guys will be on the board and somebody will be interested in moving up for em.

Good thing is that most of those guys are good fits for Seattle as well, so there is a good chance we are able to move off that 11 pick.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 12:24 AM
....I said nothing about teams game planning to go right at him. I said they will run at him. They aren't afraid to do so. He's a read and react LB.

We run a read and react defense.

He's instinctive sure, but he's hardly a game changer. I think he's a fit with a specific type of team. He'd make a great MLB in a 4-3. But as far as what KC should be looking for, Kuechly is not that type of player. He's not worthy of being taken in the top 15.

Two decades of two-gapping 3-4 defenses disagree.

I don't get it either, but these teams lose their minds over a guy with Kuechly's exact skill set.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 12:26 AM
As far as trading down goes, teams will be wanting to move up for some of these guys.

Richardson
Martin
Tanehill
Ingram
Claiborne
Coples
Reiff

one of those guys will be on the board and somebody will be interested in moving up for em.

Good thing is that most of those guys are good fits for Seattle as well, so there is a good chance we are able to move off that 11 pick.

The further down, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I also wouldn't have any problem forfeiting that 11th overall pick for zero picks in 2012 if it meant we get to load up for picks in 2013.

jspchief
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
I like Keekly. I think he'll be one of those guys that seems like he's in on every play.

I think there's a legit argument that using an 11 overall on an ILB in a 3-4 isn't great positional value. But I've resigned myself to the fact there's legit arguments against taking every single guy we might take.

This is one of the guys I'm ok with.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 12:44 AM
I like Keekly. I think he'll be one of those guys that seems like he's in on every play.

I think there's a legit argument that using an 11 overall on an ILB in a 3-4 isn't great positional value. But I've resigned myself to the fact there's legit arguments against taking every single guy we might take.

That's the maddening thing. There's a legit argument against every single player the Chiefs could take this year.

It's maddening.

Leaves us with no idea as to who they will take, or how far down they're willing to trade into the 1st (or beyond).

Chiefs=Good
03-26-2012, 01:20 AM
I cant remember the board being so split over the chiefs pick. normally its between 2 or 3 guys. This year there are about 10 players people are vouching for.

Who knows who it will actually be, but my money is now on Kuechly.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 01:26 AM
I cant remember the board being so split over the chiefs pick. normally its between 2 or 3 guys. This year there are about 10 players people are vouching for.

Who knows who it will actually be, but my money is now on Kuechly.

The Chiefs #11 pick = the Republican primaries.

Chocolate Hog
03-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Does anyone remember who we all wanted to draft last year? It seemed like nobody gave a shit about the draft last year leading up to it.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Does anyone remember who we all wanted to draft last year? It seemed like nobody gave a shit about the draft last year leading up to it.

You'd be wrong. There was intense debate over Phil Taylor.

xztop12
03-26-2012, 02:37 AM
This move is basically to save one roster spot, which I don't know if I support. Simply because he can play 2 duties. I'm worried if he would be great at either because he would need to bulk to play in our run sets. at 250 I dont know that he's a great 3rd and long defender.

I like the idea of eating a roster spot, drafting the giant MLB from alabama(biggest middle linebacker i've seen) and then finding a joker player who can play the rule that mcgraw does.

I think that eating a roster spot is less of a huge deal now with the kickoff return aspect being almost nullified with the new rules.

jspchief
03-26-2012, 02:48 AM
This move is basically to save one roster spot, which I don't know if I support. Simply because he can play 2 duties. I'm worried if he would be great at either because he would need to bulk to play in our run sets. at 250 I dont know that he's a great 3rd and long defender.

I like the idea of eating a roster spot, drafting the giant MLB from alabama(biggest middle linebacker i've seen) and then finding a joker player who can play the rule that mcgraw does.

I think that eating a roster spot is less of a huge deal now with the kickoff return aspect being almost nullified with the new rules.

Belcher is listed at 230 lbs.

xztop12
03-26-2012, 02:50 AM
He does get into his drops like an Urlacher type, but he looks 230 in that 2010 tape

xztop12
03-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Look, im not opposed to the pick. I've been clamoring for a coverage MLB ever since Heap tore us up in that playoff game(Owen Danials that same year)

I just think that if you eat a roster spot, you can get a guy for that and a guy for 1st and 2nd.

He might start to grow on me between now and the draft anyway.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Definitely has to be a defensive pick. The only spot on offense we need outside of QB is a Guard, and we can get that at another point.

On Defense, we have three major spots: NT, Safety #3, and ILB.

Because we play 50-60% of our plays from sub sets that feature extra DB's, the glaring hole at Safety #3 cannot be overlooked. Its basically a starting spot that needs filled, nevermind the awful position we are in if Berry or Lewis go down.

I think if we are somehow able to slide down a few spots and get still get Kuechly AND Barron, we will come out like champs. Especially if we are also able to snag a NT in the second round.

Our Defense is fucking set if that happens.

Then grab a guard/center in round 3, tackle depth in round 4, then BPA after that....

Literally the only starting spot we'd have left to fill would be QB.

This is awesome. Will you be our GM? This would be a dream draft right here. :clap:

Lightrise
03-26-2012, 06:35 AM

Here's some tape.

Very uninspiring tape here...pass. We have bigger needs and a reach would be preferable to this pick.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 07:36 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TtahBkHk7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 07:46 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lXSfQWM0f3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
03-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Listen to the talking heads - they all compare Keekly to Mayo. Look at who took him and when...

Chiefnj2
03-26-2012, 07:56 AM
If you can't get a long term deal done with Albert in the next few weeks, they have to think about drafting a LOT.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Kuechly:

* good at shedding blocks
* great closing speed, suggests that he could be an effective blitzer
* brilliant conditioning, plays like he's 100% rested on every play, never gets tired
* plays the angles as well as Vrabel did, holds his gap as he should
* can get deep when he drops, tons of experience in coverage
* can adjust playcalls for defense based on offensive setup

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 07:59 AM
If you can't get a long term deal done with Albert in the next few weeks, they have to think about drafting a LOT.

They have, like, two years to ink a deal with Albert.

Right now they are focused on value free agents and the draft. They'll rope in Bowe once the draft comes and goes like they did Hali last year.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Listen to the talking heads - they all compare Keekly to Mayo. Look at who took him and when...

Yup.

If the Chiefs stay at #11, it's going to be Kuechly.

Chiefnj2
03-26-2012, 08:03 AM
They have, like, two years to ink a deal with Albert.

Right now they are focused on value free agents and the draft. They'll rope in Bowe once the draft comes and goes like they did Hali last year.

He's a free agent in 2013. This is the last year of his contract. It would suck to enter the 2013 offseason needing both a LOT and QB.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 08:18 AM
He's a free agent in 2013. This is the last year of his contract. It would suck to enter the 2013 offseason needing both a LOT and QB.

Repeat after me:

Franchise.

Tag.

SNR
03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Listen to the talking heads - they all compare Keekly to Mayo. Look at who took him and when..."Pioli needs a meat-and-potatoes tackle on offense. Bulaga is that guy. Besides, the Patriot Way says no safeties in the top 10."

"Chiefs need a Vince Wilfork. Phil Taylor is sitting there for them."

patteeu
03-26-2012, 08:22 AM

If he doesn't want to get franchised, he'll sign this year. If he doesn't sign this year, he'll get franchised (unless he plays like crap) and the Chiefs will have another year to work out a deal.

htismaqe
03-26-2012, 08:46 AM
"Pioli needs a meat-and-potatoes tackle on offense. Bulaga is that guy. Besides, the Patriot Way says no safeties in the top 10."

"Chiefs need a Vince Wilfork. Phil Taylor is sitting there for them."

No, I'm not talking about speculating on the Chiefs pick. I'm talking about the constant comparisons to Jerrod Mayo, who the Patriots took despite the lack of positional value.

By the way:

1) Anybody predicting Bulaga to the Chiefs OBVIOUSLY wasn't looking at Pioli's history when it comes to drafting offensive tackles.
2) The majority of the Patriot cronies were in Cleveland when they drafted a safety in the top 5.

nychief
03-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Here's some tape.

Wow. You just quoted your own silly logic/thread as a reason he is a "pioli pick?". Sheesh.

Chiefnj2
03-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Repeat after me:

Franchise.

Tag.

And if Bowe signs the tag rather than extending?

O.city
03-26-2012, 08:52 AM
The guy is everything you want in a football player.

I just hate to take him at 11, but if they do I could get over it.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Wow. You just quoted your own silly logic/thread as a reason he is a "pioli pick?". Sheesh.

Is there any doubt he is one?

Frosty
03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't claim to be an expert or anything but in watching the video in the OP, there seemed to be a lot of Donnie Edwards tackles. That is a little disconcerting. He looks really good in coverage, though.

Molitoth
03-26-2012, 09:13 AM

I'm sure Polio would love to trade down.... nearly every team would like this option. I've heard it been said many times that trading down in the draft is very hard to pull off and that's why you see teams that "reach".

Molitoth
03-26-2012, 09:16 AM
From what I saw in that video the kid takes great angles.

philfree
03-26-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm not excited about this idea. I just don't see drafting a player at #11 who's going to go to the bench when the sub packages come in. The way the passing game is these days would leaving the 4th LB on the field on 3rd down be the thing to do? As much as we need a true NT I feel kind of the same way about picking one at #11 too.

O.city
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't think Kuechly would come off the field in sub packages. I think that was a big reason for grabbing him. He's is really solid in all aspects, from waht I've read.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not excited about this idea. I just don't see drafting a player at #11 who's going to go to the bench when the sub packages come in. The way the passing game is these days would leaving the 4th LB on the field on 3rd down be the thing to do? As much as we need a true NT I feel kind of the same way about picking one at #11 too.

I don't think Kuechly would come off the field in sub packages. I think that was a big reason for grabbing him. He's is really solid in all aspects, from waht I've read.

O.city's right.

Belcher's not capable of playing in subpackages. Kuechly is.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't claim to be an expert or anything but in watching the video in the OP, there seemed to be a lot of Donnie Edwards tackles. That is a little disconcerting. He looks really good in coverage, though.

That is exactly how I observed him, too. I think I actually made that exact comparison on this website before.

Apparently the front office feels that he was forced into that role by a bad coaching staff and an even worse surrounding corps of teammates. Kuechly was forced into the "play the entire field" role because his DL couldn't stop anybody, and his secondary couldn't cover.

It's not a bad assumption. BC's defense was pretty lousy this year, and Kuechly's few attempts to actually drive into the backfield show a player with deceptive closing speed and an ability to beat lineman.

BC's system just didn't play to what two-gapping 3-4 defenses would consider his strengths.

philfree
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Well that sounds good but I'm not sure it will work out that way. He'd be fine in DJs position but we got DJ.

Regardless of the personnel how many teams leave all four of the LBs on the field when it's a passing down? Just because the guy is O.K. in coverage doesn't mean that it's a better option then going to the nickle.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Well that sounds good but I'm not sure it will work out that way. He'd be fine in DJs position but we got DJ.

Regardless of the personnel how many teams leave all four of the LBs on the field when it's a passing down? Just because the guy is O.K. in coverage doesn't mean that it's a better option then going to the nickle.

Depends what the other team's doing.

If you're going to go with two tight ends in a spread formation, having four LBs may be something we consider.

O.city
03-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I just think the fact that he could be left on the field in sub stuff makes him so appealing. If he can play the Urlacher role, i'm fine with it.

I do like the idea of getting versatile players like that, with Romeo's ability to mix and match.

philfree
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Depends what the other team's doing.

If you're going to go with two tight ends in a spread formation, having four LBs may be something we consider.

We were in subs 50% of the time last year and to me that probably won't change much this year so even if Kuechly can paly in some subs I still see him coming off the field on alot of downs.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
We were in subs 50% of the time last year and to me that probably won't change much this year so even if Kuechly can paly in some subs I still see him coming off the field on alot of downs.

It won't be Kuechly coming off in subs. It'd have to be Houston or an additional safety, or a down lineman.

The Chiefs played Gilberry and Dorsey as the entire DL for the vast majority of snaps against the Colts two years ago.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I just think the fact that he could be left on the field in sub stuff makes him so appealing. If he can play the Urlacher role, i'm fine with it.

They play in completely different defenses (assuming Kuechly lands in the two-gapping 3-4), but the comparison to Urlacher is oddly appropriate.

Saul Good
03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
They play in completely different defenses (assuming Kuechly lands in the two-gapping 3-4), but the comparison to Urlacher is oddly appropriate.

They're both white.

philfree
03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
It won't be Kuechly coming off in subs. It'd have to be Houston or an additional safety, or a down lineman.

The Chiefs played Gilberry and Dorsey as the entire DL for the vast majority of snaps against the Colts two years ago.

The Colts is one game but I could be making more out of it then need be.

I don't think they'll want to take Houston off the field in passing situations this year. He's our 2nd best passrusher.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 10:29 AM

We had to play a little different last year when one of our best players went down. Kuechly excels at pass coverage and reading what the offense is going to do and sniffing it out. BC didn't ever play man to man, but coaches are confident he is athletic and bright enough to pick up on it quickly. He will be on the field on all downs and excel on special teams.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/draftinterview_lukekuechly.php

Luke Kuechly Interview
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell
March 19, 2012

There hasn't been a lot of top-10 buzz around Boston College middle linebacker Luke Kuechly. However, that could change. Kuechly is considered to be the best inside linebacker prospect. Coming off a fabulous Combine performance, Kuechly has earned the attention of at least one top-10 team. WalterFootball.com met up with Kuechly while he was training at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. as he prepared for his Pro Day. At this point, Kuechly said there wasn't any team, or teams, that were showing heavy interest in him, but two have booked him for visits at their facilities.

"Before the draft, I'm going to Carolina and Tennesee. That's it for right now. Everybody is kind of poking their head in and out. I'm working on scheduling visits. Those are the teams already on the list, but we'll pick up more from now."

Clearly the Panthers need help on defense, although defensive tackle and cornerback have been considered to be their more pressing needs. Carolina has had injury issues with veteran linebackers Jon Beason and Thomas Davis. They also just lost Dan Connor in free agency. Kuechly could provide a long-term leader for their defense. With Carolina hosting Kuechly, he could be considered as a dark-horse candidate for their first-round pick at No. 9.

As for Tennessee, it took linebackers Akeem Ayers and Colin McCarthy in the 2011 NFL Draft. Kuechly could play Will (weakside) linebacker in their 4-3 defense, or he could man the middle and McCarthy could move to the outside. It would be surprising if Kuechly reached the Titans first-round pick at No. 20 though. If they feel compelled to land Kuechly, Tennessee would have to trade up for him as a result of his great Combine performance. Some questioned the speed and athletic ability of the top linebacker prospect, but Kuechly put those concerns to rest.

"I think one of the questions going into the Combine was what I was going to run. How fast was I? Was I a 4.8 or 4.9 guy? I was able to go out and prove that I can run well."

Kuechly ran an unofficial time of 4.50 (official time, 4.58). Those were excellent times for the 6-foot-3, 242-pounder. He also excelled in the broad jump (10-3), vertical jump (38 inches) and bench press (27 reps). The Combine is just the cherry on the top for Kuechly's draft status. At Boston College, he proved to be an elite linebacker as he led the nation in tackles the past two seasons. He recorded 191 tackles with 12 tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and three interceptions in 2011. Boston College failed to qualify for a Bowl game; otherwise he would have topped 200 tackles on the season.

Kuechly had a dominant showing in his final collegiate game. He sealed Boston College's road win at Miami with an interception that he returned 45 yards for a touchdown. He also had an impressive pass breakup on a deep downfield attempt where he was running stride for stride with speedster wide receiver Tommy Streeter, another prospect who blazed a fast 40 at Indianapolis. With great instincts, intelligence, tackling form and athletic ability all on tape, it makes one wonder why there were speed concerns with Kuechly in the first place.

"Like you said, [the Streeter pass breakup] was an example of a play that proves where it happens. I just have to stay consistent and stay in shape and keep running."

Event though Kuechly has his Pro Day coming up, he told WalterFootball.com that he plans to sit on his Combine numbers.

"I'm just going to do the position drills and be solid in those and go from there. I'm working out down here getting ready for my Pro Day. The first step was the Combine. The second step is your Pro Day, and the third step is the different interviews and business stuff you have to do. Right now the Pro Day is on my mind. I'll head up there. I have to go there and run well and be fluid. I'll go from there."

Kuechly feels like he is ready for the NFL and has proven to be a three-down linebacker. The NFL has gone to a pass-happy league, and one of Kuechly's strengths is his pass coverage and ability to get deep in his zone drops.

"It is one of those things where we were a big zone team in college. I've done three years in zone coverage. I think it is something I've become more and more comfortable with. People have mentioned it to me, how I've done in zone, so I think it is a strength. We didn't do a whole lot of [man coverage], so that is something I will have to pick up and learn, but something that I can definitely do."

The 2012 NFL Draft is not deep at inside or outside linebacker, so teams looking for talent in the middle of their defense will have to consider making a move for Kuechly. Many projections have him going outside the top 10, but in the top 20 picks. Kuechly's intangibles with his character and work ethic help prove that he is a safe prospect. The Panthers have the ninth-overall pick and hosting Kuechly illustrates that they deem him worthy of top-10 consideration. Kuechly is happy to let the NFL teams decide where he belongs.

"It was one of those things where I don't think I can say where I belong. I've put in a lot of work. I did well at the Combine and I think I had a good college career. It is not so much up to me, but I can just do my best to interview well and be on top of my game. That is up to the teams and coaches. The different teams make that decision. I've put in the work and done everything I want to do. Its up in the air and I have to let them decide."

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
BC didn't do a lot of man coverage, they did zone coverage mostly.

I think that's probably a small knock on Kuechly, but there's really no doubt that he could pick it up.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Hoo boy. Tell me this doesn't look like a Top 15 pick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FZdule1wqBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit:

At 0:11, he diagnoses the play and starts motioning for help over to his side. He figures out where the play is going.
At 0:21, he again diagnoses the play before it happens, gives the OL the slip, and dismantles the play.

This is what we mean by unrivaled instincts. This is why he was racking up 15 tackles a game.

0:45, plays his gap and is again in on the tackle. Throws the tackle off with an arm.
0:59, holds his space in the zone and prevents the first down.
1:05, shuts down fullback in the rollout. Perfect.
1:42, stays with Steeter the whole way down the field and almost intercepts. Wowwww...
2:20, once again, dominates the hot route in the zone.
2:30, reads the misdirection play, beats the TE trying to block him, and locks the runner down.
2:46, knifes through the garbage and lands the tackle at the LOS.
2:54, checkdown RBs have no place to hide. We could have used him in our playoff loss to Baltimore. Closing speed.
3:24, calls the right gap pre-snap, beats OL handily.
3:31, does his best DJ impression. Deceptive speed in the open field...
4:20, clearly in stride with Streeter. Man coverage.
4:36, drops, closes in on the checkdown.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-26-2012, 11:50 AM

I believe they had 20 the 2nd half of the season. The pass rush was there at the end of last season.

It was a tale of 2 halves for the D. They were pretty much a top 5 defense down the stretch last year after a bad start.

BossChief
03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
191 tackles and didn't force a single fumble?

Not one sack?

Only 3 passes defended?

mcaj22
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Not one sack?

Only 3 passes defended?

he doesnt rush the QB and the talent around him at BC is awful.

I have a friend that played on BC, they are bad.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Not one sack?

Only 3 passes defended?

Look at the tape. He's not asked to do any of that.

He's asked to play a shallow centerfield and cut off the hot routes.

patteeu
03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Kuechly's pass coverage ability would free up DJ to do more pass rushing. DJ is a really good pass rusher but he doesn't have gaudy sack numbers because he's the best coverage linebacker the Chiefs have.

BossChief
03-26-2012, 12:12 PM
he doesnt rush the QB and the talent around him at BC is awful.

I have a friend that played on BC, they are bad.I can understand him not getting sacks, but that should be the prime responsibility of a linebacker taken 11th overall.

If he isn't getting sacks, he should be forcing a lot of fumbles though..especially with all those tackles.

If he is such a good coverage linebacker, why did he only have 3 pass breakups?

Look at the tape. He's not asked to do any of that.

He's asked to play a shallow centerfield and cut off the hot routes.
and doing that, he only had 3 pass breakups and 3 picks.

12 games and he only impacted 6 passing plays?

Adding to that, he didn't force a single fumble out of almost 200 chances?

How am I the only one here that sees that as a red flag?

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
If KC is selecting a ILB in the 1st it's going to be Dont'a Hightower, the guy fits Romeo's defense superbly.

Direckshun
03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
and doing that, he only had 3 pass breakups and 3 picks.

12 games and he only impacted 6 passing plays?

Adding to that, he didn't force a single fumble out of almost 200 chances?

How am I the only one here that sees that as a red flag?

Multiple reasons for this:

1. He doesn't really drill defenders like DJ does. He wraps and tackles, he doesn't launch. That doesn't release a lot of fumbles but it also doesn't give up too many second chances for ball carriers to get away.

2. He is routinely having to catch up on the play because his teammates are getting beat or delinquent in their duties.

Coogs
03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
First of all, it's pronounced "Keekly." The name is popping up in several different places, from Field Yates (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257770) to a thread I started (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8484001#post8484001) where all the Pioli factors led to him being the clearest "Pioli pick" among the top 25 or so prospects.

So does this mean if I were to start a thread on a potential draft pick, it could mean te Chiefs are leaning that way just because?

patteeu
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
So does this mean if I were to start a thread on a potential draft pick, it could mean te Chiefs are leaning that way just because?

It depends on whether your thread was based on dartboard randomness or thoughtful analysis.

Coogs
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
It depends on whether your thread was based on dartboard randomness or thoughtful analysis.

I didn't realize there was a difference! :)

CupidStunt
03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
He's a solid LB with great closing speed. Plays well sideline to sideline. Doesn't miss tackles, has some coverage skill. But he's not dominant, he doesn't change the game, he won't keep any opposing player or coach up at night. He's the type of player I'd love to get in the 3rd round and say we've filled a hole, not burn an almost-top 10 pick and pray he can add a lot more to his game (which in all likelihood he can't).

IDK, the Pats picked Mayo so maybe Peeoil plays it safe here, but I have a hard time seeing him being the pick.

Chiefnj2
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Anybody feel it's too early to give up on Belcher? Kid made big strides last year. Great development for a kid from Maine.

keg in kc
03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
An ILB with the 11th pick? We might as well just give up now.

Chocolate Hog
03-26-2012, 02:31 PM

You act as though this team has a million holes. It's 2012 not 2009.

patteeu
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Do you think Derrick Johnson was a good pick at 15?

suds79
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Would you prefer they spend it on a Guard? ;)

Relax. We won't be drafting at 11 anyways.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Here are the numbers for Kuechly's 3 seasons versus Patrick Willis' 3 seasons as a starter:

Player - Willis- Kuechly
Games Played - 32- 38
Solo Tackles - 231- 299
Assisted Tackles - 104- 233
Tackles for Loss - 32- 35.5
Loss Yardage - 148- 97
Forced Fumbles - 5- 2
Interceptions - 1- 7
Interception Yards - 0- 130
Touchdowns - 0- 2
Pass Breakups - 11- 10

As you can see, the numbers are pretty much better all the way around for Kuechly. Willis did create 3 more fumbles than Kuechly did but Kuechly blew Willis away with 7 interceptions, 130 interception return yards, and 2 TOUCHDOWNS compared with Willis' 1 interception returned for no yardage.

Just thought I would throw this out there

the Talking Can
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
we're in the crap position of not being able to draft our #1 need: QB

so we're making 'finishing' picks....guard, ILB, #3 safety

it's fine making finishing picks if you have a franchise QB, we have Cassel and so it is perverse....thanks, Scott

htismaqe
03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Anybody feel it's too early to give up on Belcher? Kid made big strides last year. Great development for a kid from Maine.

Is it too early to give up on Baldwin and Bowe? Or Charles?

We're in a tough spot because about the ONLY need we have where we wouldn't be replacing an ascending player is OG.

htismaqe
03-26-2012, 03:00 PM

it's fine making finishing picks if you have a franchise QB, we have Cassel and so it is perverse....thanks, Scott

This.

suds79
03-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Having good depth isn't giving up on him the way I see it. But I don't think he'd be our ideal starting ILB.

CupidStunt
03-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Yes, but he was a superior prospect who showed consistent ability and potential to change football games.

HemiEd
03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm sure Polio would love to trade down.... nearly every team would like this option. I've heard it been said many times that trading down in the draft is very hard to pull off and that's why you see teams that "reach".

I don't think it is going to be as hard now with the new agreement. They no longer have to break the bank for rookies.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Is there any doubt he is one?

He has Chiefs pick written all over him:

On top of his incredible football skills, Kuechly is also a well-spoken, intelligent, moral individual. Coming out of high school, Luke had a 3.8 GPA. When choosing a college, it came down to BC, Duke, UVA, and Stanford. You hear athletes claim that academics come first all the time, but Luke shows it, succeeding in the Carroll School of Management while dominating on the gridiron. In fact, he has drawn comparisons to Clark Kent due to his reserved alter ego off the field, as well as his short black hair and glasses. On the field, he is known as Superman for the way he flies all over the field constantly making play after play. He is committed to BCs Jesuit values and commands respect from his teammates, getting elected captain as a junior.

ForeverChiefs58
03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, but he was a superior prospect who showed consistent ability and potential to change football games.

Actually DJ had a big knock of not being able to shed blocks coming out of Texas.

Bewbies
03-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Over a QB that was not ready to start in full on freefall mode? Yes, yes it was.

patteeu
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM

The important part isn't what they've done before the draft, it's what they do after the draft. I love DJ (he's probably my favorite Chief), but I think it's arguable at least to say that he hasn't lived up to the full extent of his pre-draft hype. He's still a very good player and maybe by the time his career is over things might be different. As it is though, he's still been a successful draft pick, IMO. If Kuechly ends up being as successful as DJ, it won't matter that he was an ILB taken at 11 overall. He'll still be a success.

BossChief
03-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Do you think we could eventually win a superbowl with Tanehill? That would mean you trust Daboll and Zorn to develop him into a world beater in the NFL?

If the answer is yes, we would need to move up to 7 to take him.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Yep, I've said it like 100 times as have Milk and others. Would be silly to spend a 1st on an ILB.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Who cares who's starting? You draft BPA. Period. I really, really like Belcher, but if this kid can be as good or better, then you draft him. We have to get ourselves out of the mentality that the only purpose of the draft is to fill in gaps in our starting lineup. The Giants defied that logic and drafted DEs every year, even when they were absolutely outstanding (Strahan/Umenyora). What it allows you to do is to be cap smart. If Kuechly looks great, then you can trade Belcher or you can let Belcher go and get compensatory picks. Either way, you end up with a better player and you don't have to pay Belcher a long-term cap-killing contract. Worst case, he isn't as good as Belcher and you have yourself very inexpensive ILB depth, which is important. it's win-win unless he's a flat-out bust.

That being said, I don't really agree with the idea that ILB is some kind of difficult position to find. Yeah, it's hard to find a great one, but it's not that hard to find a good one. The Chiefs NEED to start proving that they have some ****ing clue how to bring in players at core positions. Branden Albert is a perfect example. This team hasn't even TRIED to find a young replacement and so, next season, we're probably going to have no choice but to overpay him. That's not a knock on Albert. It's just a statement that to continually keep your cap down, you have to continue to find young replacements for guys who are one day going to be expensive.

We've done enough of the role player/supporting cast strategy to building this team. And Pioli's been remarkable. But Pioli has been very below average at drafting some of the critical core positions. I wouldn't be upset with Kuechly. I also don't think we should rule out DE/OLB like Courtney Upshaw. Hell, if they think a LT like Jonathan Martin can play in the bigs (I don't think he can, but if he can...), that's not a bad pick either. Or if for some reason, Michael Floyd drops, it might be a good way to get out of paying Bowe's contract.

Chiefnj2
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Who cares who's starting?

The #11 pick in the draft should be a starter. Only time he wouldn't be a starter would be a QB that needs to sit a year. Otherwise, that guy should be a blue chip impact player.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
The #11 pick in the draft should be a starter. Only time he wouldn't be a starter would be a QB that needs to sit a year. Otherwise, that guy should be a blue chip impact player.

That is an insanely short-minded approach.

So you think we're going to win championships by stockpiling the best Guards and Right Tackles? OR are we going to win because we have a strong supporting cast to complement some really good core players?

Albert and Belcher are two players I"m happy with, but they're going to be really overpaid to stay in Kansas City next year and there's potential to be better. If drafting Kuechly gets us the same quality of play as Belcher and saves us millions against the 2013 cap and beyond (plus compensation picks, perhaps), it's a great pick. If drafting Kuechly gets you better play, then it's an outstanding pick.

No Guard is going to win us a Super Bowl. We've been scrapping away at Guard and Center with two really strong picks already through non-blue chip picks in Hudson and Asamoah. We can do that again this year too.

You go with BPA. Period. Doesn't matter if there's a starter there already.