PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Working with different nationalities

LVNHACK
03-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Ok, right now I'm working for a Brit company (I'm hoping it ends in the next 6 weeks or less)

My Boss is a female Brit
Co workers are South African
and daily I work hand in hand with Brits, South Africans and various other Third World Nationals...

The Brits are the most difficult to work with....The SA's are just different, but for the most part good to go...the TCN's....well they're called 3rd world for a reason.

It's provides some good, some bad....And some shit just makes me shake my head....

I'd like to know who's worked with other nationalities and your experiences. The good, the bad....the unbelievable levels of....retardation...

Frazod
03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Just from my daily train ride, I assume the worst part is having to fucking smell them. Do you ever get used to it?

Simply Red
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I hate working with Indians, they're con-artists, and usually dirtballs. Honestly, regarding international sales; the brits are about my favorite to work with. But the industry I'm in and you're in, are entirely different, + I usually ONLY have to deal w/ them over the phone and through them intrawebs.

Brock
03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree on the Indians, they're always trying to trade me some beads for whiskey and shit.

Simply Red
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I hear the same about Asians, but a local Vietnamese guy is how I get a lot of my PC's. He's good to go regarding dealings.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I work with a bunch of people from Missouri. It can be a challenge at times but over all I don't hold their shortcomings against them. They just don't know any better.

Donger
03-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I used to have to deal with the Saudis and Kuwaitis. I'm not particularly fond of either.

Nzoner
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Having been in advertising sales for 20+ years I've worked with numerous business owners of different nationalities.My experiences have been good and bad but the rudest thing by far by all of them have been talking amongst one another in their native tongue and then laughing.Not that I have a complex and it bothers me,believe me I can hold my own in a person to persons sales environment but I recall Dice Clay's bit on if you can't speak the F'n language get the F out of the country and there's been a few times I've wanted to pass that on.

Simply Red
03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I used to have to deal with the Saudis and Kuwaitis. I'm not particularly fond of either.

I buy a lot out of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv Isr., they're pretty good, though their typed out Engrish is about 3rd grade level, if that.

Simply Red
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Having been in advertising sales for 20+ years I've worked with numerous business owners of different nationalities.My experiences have been good and bad but the rudest thing by far by all of them have been talking amongst one another in their native tongue and then laughing.Not that I have a complex and it bothers me,believe me I can hold my own in a person to persons sales environment but I recall Dice Clay's bit on if you can't speak the F'n language get the F out of the country and there's been a few times I've wanted to pass that on.

http://i40.tinypic.com/wbxr81.gif

blaise
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I used to work with some dudes from Africa. Some were from Somalia and others from West Africa. I was surprised how much they disliked each other; mostly from he Somalians toward the West Africans. The Somalian dudes would call them, "ditch diggers" and stuff.

patteeu
03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I deal with an Iranian named Frankie from time to time. He tells some wild stories. I can never tell if the crazy things he says are serious. Is jumping over a fire really the rage at Iranian parties or was that just a put on? At least he speaks English most of the time.

Fritz88
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I work with all kinds is nationalities. It really depends on the person. The most consistent in terms of work ethic and productivity are Filipinos.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM

I've had that happen several times when it didn't bother me at all because of the situation.... but, it happened a few times in the couple of weeks I was in Paris a few years back, and it blatantly rude. I'd be at lunch with 3 or 4 others and would say something, a couple of them would say something in French and all of them would laugh. Assholes.

Besides France, my experiences have been positive... we work with people in India quite a bit, and they're pretty knowledgeable and willing to learn and work (hasn't always been my experience though). I've been to a few other countries and don't have any complaints.

LVNHACK
03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Just from my daily train ride, I assume the worst part is having to ****ing smell them. Do you ever get used to it?

lol, bro....they don't smell any worse then this country as a whole

LVNHACK
03-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I work with all kinds is nationalities. It really depends on the person. The most consistent in terms of work ethic and productivity are Filipinos.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, they're all over the place, they get used like $2. whores and never complain, live in shit conditions and work their ass's off...

Frazod
03-29-2012, 11:02 AM
lol, bro....they don't smell any worse then this country as a whole

Sometimes one of those fuckers will sit down next to me and it's nearly enough to make me want to puke. Garlic-reeking non-bathing pigs. How the fuck can you smell that bad first thing in the morning? And these people aren't herding goats in the Banglittleboy Mountains of Assramistan - THEY'RE GOING TO OFFICE JOBS IN CHICAGO. Jesus.

The Metra train I take has a couple of quiet cars. I wish it had specific cars for people who bathe.

Donger
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I've had that happen several times when it didn't bother me at all because of the situation.... but, it happened a few times in the couple of weeks I was in Paris a few years back, and it blatantly rude. I'd be at lunch with 3 or 4 others and would say something, a couple of them would say something in French and all of them would laugh. Assholes.

Besides France, my experiences have been positive... we work with people in India quite a bit, and they're pretty knowledgeable and willing to learn and work (hasn't always been my experience though). I've been to a few other countries and don't have any complaints.

You should have asked, "Hey, how do you guys pronounce 'Vichy'?"

ChiefsOne
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I have worked with Chinese, Koreans and Japanese in an office before. All great guys and fun to be around. But they all had a different smell to them mainly breath, I think it must be their diet. I work with Chinese on the phone and over the internet daily, they are all very nice and go beyond to be accommodating.

gblowfish
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I have vendors in Taiwan and China that I communicate with via email. Their English is kind of weird, you can understand most of it, but sentence structure is often mangled.

Here in the office our shipping manager is Nigerian, and one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with.

SLAG
03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
My direct supervisor is a Brit - and its awesome... Love working with that dude.

SLAG
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Sometimes one of those ****ers will sit down next to me and it's nearly enough to make me want to puke. Garlic-reeking non-bathing pigs. How the **** can you smell that bad first thing in the morning? And these people aren't herding goats in the Banglittleboy Mountains of Assramistan - THEY'RE GOING TO OFFICE JOBS IN CHICAGO. Jesus.

The Metra train I take has a couple of quiet cars. I wish it had specific cars for people who bathe.

What line do you ride?

I've been thinking of switching to the Metra - not sure if its really cost effective to switch from paying gas to paying Metra/bus fare

Frazod
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
What line do you ride?

I've been thinking of switching to the Metra - not sure if its really cost effective to switch from paying gas to paying Metra/bus fare

Burlington Northern.

Mostly, it's great (it's not like I get stuck next to Mr. Stankasstan on a regular basis), although even a bad day is better than being stuck in traffic on the Eisenhower.

When it fails, though, it tends to fail spectacularly. A splattery pedestrian accident can take a couple of hours to clean up, and switch failures or engine breakdowns happen occasionally. Earlier in the month the engine on my train died, and they had to have another train push us into the city. Got to work an hour and a half late that day. There have been a few times over the years when the line was shut down due to a spill or a really nasty accident, and they just basically say "We're done for the day. Screw you, you're on your own." METRA DOES NOT PROVIDE ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION IN THESE SITUATIONS. Problematic if you're in Chicago and your car is in a parking lot 35 miles away - that makes for a really expensive cab ride if you don't have alternative means.

But mostly, it's reliable, and even with increased fares, far cheaper and much less frustrating than driving.

ChiefsOne
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I have vendors in Taiwan and China that I communicate with via email. Their English is kind of weird, you can understand most of it, but sentence structure is often mangled.

Here in the office our shipping manager is Nigerian, and one of the nicest guys I've ever worked with.

Yes, it's usually quite strange, but you can get the meaning. Kinda like ebonics.

patteeu
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a Filipino sister-in-law who is going to school right now and she's got the best study habits of anyone I've ever known.

vailpass
03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I deal with an Iranian named Frankie from time to time. He tells some wild stories. I can never tell if the crazy things he says are serious. Is jumping over a fire really the rage at Iranian parties or was that just a put on? At least he speaks English most of the time.

LMAO

SuperChief
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
The school I'm at has a high international student population; therefore, I'm in class with many an Asian student. You can tell they milk it when it comes to doing their fair share of work. In group projects especially, they all act like they've never heard English before, suddenly. Pisses me off when trying to get things done. It's almost easier just to do the project yourself (for them).

...I suppose that's what they want. Damn it.

Saulbadguy
03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Not a nationality, but Christians are the worst to work for. Especially Catholics.

jspchief
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Bosnians are the worst. They are the rudest people on the planet.

Bump
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I work with a lot of diversity. The one's that bother me the most are the old people who simply cannot tolerate any sort of change at all, anything that's different from what they were used to is a huge problem to them no matter how big or small the change is. Makes it frustrating.

patteeu
03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I work with a lot of diversity. The one's that bother me the most are the old people who simply cannot tolerate any sort of change at all, anything that's different from what they were used to is a huge problem to them no matter how big or small the change is. Makes it frustrating.

You mean like when corporate decided to replace lard with vegetable oil for the fries?

cdcox
03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Let's see...

My boss is Indian
One of my graduate students is Korean
My colleagues come from Jordan, China, Tiawan, Germany and several others.
One of our accountants is Filipino.
Another student I worked with was from Israel

People are individuals. I don't find any kind of consistent pattern based on nationality.

boogblaster
03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
12 gauge-pump .....

HemiEd
03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Used to work for a company that was purchased by the British company GKN. They started out making "suits of armor" in the 1600s. Their business strategies were about that archaic, and I have avoided large companies since then.

sd4chiefs
03-29-2012, 03:24 PM
I had to work with a consultant for a year that was from Germany once. I hated that guy. We would spend hours arguing over stupid minor sh*t.

SNR
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
One of my co-workers is Austrian. One of my favorite things to do is to casually bring up some European country/nationality in conversation just to listen to him make a wisecrack.

I'll say something like, "The students really didn't take to Zwinglism in lecture when I was trying to discuss the Reformation's affect on local musical liturgy."

"Well, that's understandable. Nobody can understand anything the Swiss do. Why should they understand them nearly 500 years ago?"

LVNHACK
03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Bosnians are the worst. They are the rudest people on the planet.

They're bad... but Arabs as a whole are even worse....They're so emotional, sometimes I think back to my daughter when she was 13...

KC Jones
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM

:banghead:

Let me get this straight, you were in Paris and thought it rude they occasionally slipped into French? I think you missed the quote about if you don't speak the language get the fuck out of the country.

Bearcat
03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
:banghead:

Let me get this straight, you were in Paris and thought it rude they occasionally slipped into French? I think you missed the quote about if you don't speak the language get the **** out of the country.

I was there for two weeks... not going to learn French for a 2 week business trip, especially when I'm told about it one week in advance.

And like I said, it's happened several times and I didn't think twice about it because of the situation. Of course it's not rude to "slip into French"... I once worked with someone who would practically start speaking Spanish mid-sentence when he was around coworkers who also spoke Spanish.... I know the difference.