PDA

View Full Version : Tickets Mega-Millions

Pages : [1] 2

Rain Man
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
$540 million nominal payout. As a rough guess, after the whole "cash value" scam and taxes, you're taking home roughly $230 million.

Okay, ponder that. $230 million.

What do you do? I'm not talking long term. I'm wondering how you park that much money in the first week. Do you put $100,000 in each of 2,300 banks? Put $20 million or so into a dozen different online brokerages? Do you walk into a Charles Schwab office and watch the fun when you say, "Can I start an account?" "How much would you like to start with?" "$230 million."

It'd be hard to track. It seems like maybe you'd pick a dozen brokerages and put $10 million each of your money into the most conservative things you can find, and then maybe a dozen banks and put another $10 million into each one and hope they don't go bankrupt.

Then it seems like you'd like to diversify as quickly as possible, so maybe over the next few months you'd identify some things like land or apartment buildings or something that are very low risk, and put about 30 percent of it in there, and then find some stable overseas place like Switzerland and put another 30 percent of it there, and then split the remaining 40 percent between ultra-conservative dividend-paying stocks and a sparkling constellation of T-bills and money markets in 500 different banks? Honestly, I'd be paranoid as all get-out if I won this that society would collapse or something. I don't think I'd even trust T-bills and stuff.

If you can generate a return of 1% with ultraconservative plays, that would net you an income of $2.3 million a year, or about $1.3 million after taxes. I wouldn't go getting greedy if I could just get my $100,000 a month.

That's an insane payout.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-29-2012, 06:45 PM
The lottery is the hillbilly 401k.

Mile High Mania
03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
It's worth one ticket...

Okie_Apparition
Pay it all to me over 30-35 years
I can wait

LiveSteam
I hire an attorney & a great accountant
Then I buy 2 railroads.
Denver Rio grand narrow gauge in Durango Col.
Cumbres & Toltec Railroad in Chama, NM
& live the dream

http://0.tqn.com/d/gosw/1/0/R/X/trainlong.jpg

Zebedee DuBois
03-29-2012, 06:50 PM
I would give a big chunk away -let some of my coworkers retire along side of me. I only need about 40 or 50 mil for myself.

saphojunkie
03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Pay off the rest of Cassel's contract and force him to retire.

LiveSteam
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Awesome ! :clap:

Mr. Laz
03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
I wonder how much a accountant would charge to do all the leg work?

I imagine you would have some leverage with banks etc with that much money.

Okie_Apparition
03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
!00 letters a day telling you their 2 year old child needs an operation or they will die
I think those people earn it the hard way

Dicky McElephant
It's worth one ticket...

This.

It's foolish to blow $10 for every lottery drawing....but spending $1 when something this big comes along isn't that big of a deal.

Mile High Mania
My family (both sides) would be debt free, not worrying about work and set... then, the next dozen or so generations of my family would have trusts set up in their names.

I'd also be very charitable to the church and various organizations.

I'd invest a great deal of it in a number of different outlets, most focused on very conservative, yet consistent returns. I'd take a few risks, but nothing crazy.

I would have a suite in a number of pro sports stadiums.

I'd have at least one ... maybe 3 vintage Smokey and the Bandit Trans Ams.

I would hire Van Halen to play my next birthday party.

I'd have several homes, etc... and I'd buy a small island.

I might get a new pair of boots too.

KCUnited
03-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Try to remain as annonymous as possible.

mlyonsd
03-29-2012, 07:00 PM
I was so seriously worried $230 million would ruin my way of life I decided to buy a Powerball instead.

Rain Man
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I've often said that if I won a lottery-load of money I'd live in the same house and retire and perhaps travel a lot. With that amount of money, could you even live in the same house? Or would you face kidnapping threats and stuff that would make you have to either hire security guards or move to some sort of fenced enclosure?

Do really rich celebrities have to have armed guards at all times? I'm thinking about people like Paul McCartney, or Tom Hanks, or Warren Buffett. Are they crime targets when they're that rich?

Buck
03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Pay it all to me over 30-35 years
I can wait

Yeah.

OH NO ONLY $10 Million a year? How can I feed my Children?

/Latrell Spreewell

BigMeatballDave
03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Couldn't you put several million in a Swiss account?

You'd make millions per year in interest.

I'm sure I'd be giving away like $50 million or so to family and friends.

Goldmember
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
I'd buy a high school, stock it with nothing but hot teachers and pretend to be a 17 year old boy again

kysirsoze
03-29-2012, 07:13 PM

I'd buy the Chiefs and just cut Cassel. I promise we'd be drafting a first round QB sooner rather than later.

evolve27
03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd buy the Chiefs and just cut Cassel. I promise we'd be drafting a first round QB sooner rather than later.

Rep!

Extra Point
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM

How 501(c)3 of you!:clap:

BigMeatballDave
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM

I'm thinking $200 million wouldn't be enough...

Goldmember
03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Try coming up with a billion

dirk digler
03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I bought $5 bucks worth. Definitely a good investment when I win :D

Chief_For_Life58
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
If i win im buying as big of a percentage as I can get from hunts bitch ass and then we will all be the voice of the fans and turn this fucking franchise into superbowl competitors

Or im buying the royals

Chief_For_Life58
03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd buy a high school, stock it with nothing but hot teachers and pretend to be a 17 year old boy again

hahahahaha. i love chiefs planet

Extra Point
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Hire 3 doubles. Get them all plastic surgered, get them all chipped, then get myself a face lift. Of course, how many Will Ferrell lookalikes are there, really? I'm only missing the height for that mod.

Then, go on the BBQ circuit, deep sea fishing, stay at nice hotels, and such.

It would be nice to buy the KC School District out, and have only the 3 R's and sciences taught, John Dewey and George Washington Carver style. That would would make some blood boil, wouldn't it?

Chief_For_Life58
03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
$540 million nominal payout. As a rough guess, after the whole "cash value" scam and taxes, you're taking home roughly $230 million.

Okay, ponder that. $230 million.

What do you do? I'm not talking long term. I'm wondering how you park that much money in the first week. Do you put $100,000 in each of 2,300 banks? Put $20 million or so into a dozen different online brokerages? Do you walk into a Charles Schwab office and watch the fun when you say, "Can I start an account?" "How much would you like to start with?" "$230 million."

It'd be hard to track. It seems like maybe you'd pick a dozen brokerages and put $10 million each of your money into the most conservative things you can find, and then maybe a dozen banks and put another $10 million into each one and hope they don't go bankrupt.

Then it seems like you'd like to diversify as quickly as possible, so maybe over the next few months you'd identify some things like land or apartment buildings or something that are very low risk, and put about 30 percent of it in there, and then find some stable overseas place like Switzerland and put another 30 percent of it there, and then split the remaining 40 percent between ultra-conservative dividend-paying stocks and a sparkling constellation of T-bills and money markets in 500 different banks? Honestly, I'd be paranoid as all get-out if I won this that society would collapse or something. I don't think I'd even trust T-bills and stuff.

If you can generate a return of 1% with ultraconservative plays, that would net you an income of $2.3 million a year, or about $1.3 million after taxes. I wouldn't go getting greedy if I could just get my $100,000 a month.

That's an insane payout.

What would I do with the money?

CASH IT

I want it all in 20's
http://s1.guyism.com/up/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

BigRedChief
03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
We can't buy mega million tickets in Florida so I has my brother buy $20 worth of lottery tickets for me. I'm making AustinChief an offer he can't refuse and buying Chiefs Planet. First order of business....... lamindation of the women.

Mile High Mania
03-29-2012, 07:34 PM

So, you're going to stand around and spooge in your shorts? What's the fun in that...

Rain Man
03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Couldn't you put several million in a Swiss account?

You'd make millions per year in interest.

I'm sure I'd be giving away like $50 million or so to family and friends.

I've got a deal with a friend where we each buy five tickets once a lottery gets above a certain amount, and then we split the winnings. So that would cut mine in half, and then I have a deal with karma that I would give the other third to family, friends, and charities. So that would leave me with about $75 million net, but I could squeeze a living out of that and still retire comfortably.

lcarus
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
I'd probably want all the money up front rather than over a span of however many years. Reason is, they could decide to screw you over whenever they want for whatever BS reason. Just give it all to me now and I'll handle it. :)

aturnis
03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Just read the lump sum payout is around $390 million.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
I have a house special built with all sort of cool shit in it.

enough to make all the preppers and compute nerds drool.

fully off the grid with solar/wind power etc

special computer room with it own cooling etc

maybe have 1 level above ground but have like 3 levels underground

BigMeatballDave
03-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Just read the lump sum payout is around $390 million.

Knock 45% off of that for taxes

DaFace
03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
This.

It's foolish to blow $10 for every lottery drawing....but spending $1 when something this big comes along isn't that big of a deal.

I was skeptical, but after looking it up, your expected value of a lottery ticket is actually higher than the cost of the ticket right now if you ignore taxes. Your chances of winning are 1 in 175 million, so with jackpot of $540 million, the expected value of a ticket is roughly $3. After taxes, it's only worth about $1.30, but that's still more than the $1 cost to buy a ticket in the first place.

Of course, the issue is complicated by the fact that there's a pretty high chance that more than one person will win, but I'm not sure I care enough to figure out what an estimated number of tickets purchased would be.

BigRedChief
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Knock 45% off of that for taxesYeah, i hear as of 3:00 pm today the immediate lump sum payout is $230 million.

acesn8s
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
I would become prejudice against poor people.

Goldmember
03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
So, you're going to stand around and spooge in your shorts? What's the fun in that...

So, you're going to own a Trans AM? What's the fun in that?

acesn8s
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, i hear as of 3:00 pm today the immediate lump sum payout is $230 million.Wouldn't that depend on the state in which it is claimed?

BigRedChief
03-29-2012, 07:53 PM
So, you're going to own a Trans AM? What's the fun in that?I would defintely own an orginal mint condition 1977 Trans-Am T-top, 1969 Challenger and Mustang. And probably a lambrogini :hmmm:

Ebolapox
03-29-2012, 07:54 PM
apparently, no winning ticket for mega millions has ever been bought in missouri--aren't we, as a state, due?

Chief_For_Life58
03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
apparently, no winning ticket for mega millions has ever been bought in missouri--aren't we, as a state, due?

nah. god hates missouri

big nasty kcnut
03-29-2012, 07:56 PM
if you live in oklahoma they wouldn't post your name so no one could bug you. i'd buy a cheap house but make so impenetrable that no one could break in. Then buy chiefs season ticket in a skybox to stay warm and let any chiefs planet folks use when i'm not there. Do two chicks at the same time. Finally give some to my dad and brother and cousins from my dad side the rest can fuck themselves.

BigMeatballDave
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Wouldn't that depend on the state in which it is claimed?

Yeah. I'd imagine that 230 figure is ballparked.

scho63
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM

If I don't win I'm voting for you!
:D

The Dawg
03-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm going to go double or nothing on the roulette wheel- all on black.

The Dawg
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
In all honesty I'm not sure what I would do with that kind of money. Try to not have a heart-attack upon the shock, and beyond that I'd take some time to comprehend what I wanted to do.

Chief_For_Life58
03-29-2012, 08:21 PM
buy a big amount of good hunting land and build my own log house next to a creek farm some tasty veggies and live off the land. give most of it to different charities and people who really need the money

kysirsoze
03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm thinking $200 million wouldn't be enough...

Did you forget the CBA talks?? The owners are losing money all over the place. I'd be doing Clark a favor.

AustinChief
03-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah, i hear as of 3:00 pm today the immediate lump sum payout is $230 million.

In Texas, after taxes... $250mil

Bwana
03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I would throw one hell of a Chiefs planet shindig!

Fruit Ninja
03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
id just do the over 20 years. I dont need all that cash at once. Im sure in the town i live in, i'd be just fine. lol

I think i may get a bit to crazy if i had it all at once. haha.

CHENZ A!
03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
when is the drawing? I play powerball from time to time, but not regularly. Never have played mega-millions?

prhom
03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Certainly would want to take at least half of it off-shore. I'm thinking a split between Bermuda and Switzerland. Domestically, I'd put a lot into MLP pipeline companies for the high, tax-deferred yields. I'd also look into urban parking lots. Don't know much about them, but they seem like great ways to make money on land that is only going to become more valuable over time without having the upkeep of a high-rise.

I'd hire some people to help make and manage investments from the offshore accounts into places like Brazil, West Africa, and central America. I'd want investments in agricultural inputs, telecom and natural resources in these places.

Ari Chi3fs
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
I'd set up a HUGE VC/Angel Investment network... and donate a substantial amount to charity... travel the world...

CHENZ A!
03-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd never work. I'd just stay home all day, watch Scarface 50 times, eat a turkey sandwich, and have sex all fucking day.. Then I'd dress up like a clown, and surprise kids at schools. Then I'd take a dump in the back of a movie theater, and just wait until somebody sat in it. Hear it squish.. That's funny to me. Then I'd paint, and read, and play violin. I'd climb the mountains, and sing the songs that I like to sing.

Dayze
03-29-2012, 08:57 PM

That. My ass would disappear.

I'd build a killer cabin in wyoming or Montana. Maybe close to Bwana just to screw with him . I'd own all kinds of firearms. And be able to shoot on my own property.

Brock
03-29-2012, 09:02 PM
when is the drawing? I play powerball from time to time, but not regularly. Never have played mega-millions?

tuesday and friday

Bwana
03-29-2012, 09:11 PM
That. My ass would disappear.

I'd build a killer cabin in wyoming or Montana. Maybe close to Bwana just to screw with him . I'd own all kinds of firearms. And be able to shoot on my own property.

Heh, your next of kin would learn to enjoy the money. :D

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-29-2012, 09:12 PM
"I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man."

Bump
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I think there's a huge fee if you want to be anonymous and I would probably take that. I would have to talk to very highly regarded lawyers and accountants and figure how to store your money. Then I would change my name and move to Montana and buy a modest home in the country with lots of land and a viable water source and making the inside an elaborate place that you can survive in if the shit hits the fan, lots of guard dogs, surveillance and a huge fence around the perimeter with barb wire tops. The fence would probably only be a few miles around the house, it wouldn't protect the entire property, but just enough to keep people out and the guard dogs should ward off anybody who tries to cut the fence and if they just shot the dogs, that would give me ample time to get my defenses. I would buy a house for my mom and that's it, I wouldn't go crazy and blow it all and be stupid. But I would hook my mom up with a house nearby. I would also build an alternate location, in the mountains or hills that I could escape to if needed. I would totally be on that show preppers. Once all of that is done, I would lay around and smoke weed every day, play video games, eat natural food, go hunting and fishing and just live the damn life. But I would be ultra paranoid and I would definitely play in huge poker tourneys but never cash games, not with that much money.

Detoxing
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM

I lol'd

Dayze
03-29-2012, 09:19 PM

..there it is. ROFL Surprised it took this long

sd4chiefs
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I would buy a house in la Jolla, California next door to Mitt Romney, fill it with 100 hot models, ;) then invite everyone on Chiefs Planet (except all those loones that spend all day posting on DC) over and party my ass off.

P.S. I would pay for everyones airfare.

Scorp
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
when is the drawing?

It is on the 7th of every month, unless the month doesn't have a 7th. If the month doesn't have a 7th then it is held on 32nd of that month.

-King-
03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd never work. I'd just stay home all day, watch Scarface 50 times, eat a turkey sandwich, and have sex all fucking day.. Then I'd dress up like a clown, and surprise kids at schools. Then I'd take a dump in the back of a movie theater, and just wait until somebody sat in it. Hear it squish.. That's funny to me. Then I'd paint, and read, and play violin. I'd climb the mountains, and sing the songs that I like to sing.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL Dave Chappelle references are always great.

prhom
03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
I think there's a huge fee if you want to be anonymous and I would probably take that.

I think it depends on which state you're in. This was an interesting story about a winner in Iowa that gave up the prize because they couldn't confirm the actual winner. Strange story, I bet there's some interesting characters behind it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lotto-deadline-passes-crime-probe-launched/t/story?id=15455933

Mr. Laz
03-29-2012, 09:36 PM
My uncle is sick ... brain cancer. So i would get really good doctors to take a look at his case. Also get a full-time nurse to help out my aunt.

A person that's very special to me also has a daughter with a brain tumor/cancer so i would pay all the bills and try to get good doctors for her.

another friend has Alzheimer's bad so would help up medically and nurse wise.

basically try to find doctors that can actually DO something besides charge for meaningless office visits.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
My uncle is sick ... brain cancer. So i would get really good doctors to take a look at his case. Also get a full-time nurse to help out my aunt.

A person that's very special to me also has a daughter with a brain tumor/cancer so i would pay all the bills and try to get good doctors for her.

basically try to find a doctor that can actually cure something

Bye, bye mega millions :(

Bump
03-29-2012, 09:38 PM

basically try to find a doctor that can actually cure something

it's sad that it would take that much money for that

Scorp
03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I would start my own Chiefs forum and never have to see or talk to any of you dickheads ever again. EVER!

Oh and I would name it Chiefs Galaxy!

Dayze
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I'd buy Dane's house and bulldoze it.

Inmem58
03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
No bullshit, I have pool with 35 people in it at a $20 buy in. I think if we hit its 14 mil (roughly) a person

Bump
03-29-2012, 09:58 PM
No bullshit, I have pool with 35 people in it at a $20 buy in. I think if we hit its 14 mil (roughly) a person

suckers

Inmem58
03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
suckers

Peyton Manning

The Dawg
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
I think we should make a pact- if anyone on here has the winning ticket, the winner will spread the wealth by giving, oh say, $5000 to each poster?

I'd do it

Scorp
03-29-2012, 10:01 PM
I think we should make a pact- if anyone on here has the winning ticket, the winner will spread the wealth by giving, oh say, $5000 to each poster?

I'd do it

Fuck no.

Iowanian
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm buying the house across the street from Donger and I'm having all of my pals come over and drink beer in the garage pool we're making out of a truck box.

I'm in an office pool and should I win, I'll fix a lot of shit for a lot of people in my area, and I'll be a bigger prick than I am now to the assholes who deserve it.

The Dawg
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
No? I think I would want to share the wealth. Sharing a little with fellow Chiefs fans doesn't sound like a bad idea.

JoeyChuckles
03-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I think it's not really about wasting the one dollar, because with that one dollar you are buying the dreams more than the actual outcome.

Dayze
03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
I think it's not really about wasting the one dollar, because with that one dollar you are buying the dreams more than the actual outcome.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I think you an I are in agreement that I'd buy a pound of weed.

-King-
03-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I think you an I are in agreement that I'd buy a pound of weed.

ROFLROFL

4th and Long
03-30-2012, 12:44 AM

I'd do it
I'd do that but it would be third on my list.

Number one would be to buy Chiefsplanet from Kyle for a day and make a few changes. Those changes would be, ...

Number two. Ban 99% of you.

This is why we need to think ahead before we hit the "submit reply" button, boys and girls.

:D

Fairplay
03-30-2012, 01:23 AM
No? I think I would want to share the wealth. Sharing a little with fellow Chiefs fans doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Yeah. I would give away so much money. People who were just nice to me even as mere acquaintances over the years. Too much money
not do that.

crazycoffey
03-30-2012, 02:11 AM

I'd do it

winning that much, I may bump that number higher, but we'd have to meet, and I get to punch clay in the nose, one time, for 100,000.

Der Flöprer
03-30-2012, 05:33 AM
It's so much money that I can think of a handful of posters here who would get substantial cash. One in particular would get his kids college educations paid for. I can think of some things I'd do before I even got serious about my own endeavors. It's fun to dream.

Deberg_1990
03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
What would R8drs do?

beach tribe
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZLJjyt23Ms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bevischief
03-30-2012, 07:23 AM

This. Change my phone, done, move, done, no one knows me, done. I am more than half way there.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 07:46 AM
First thing I'm doing is changing my phone number. Then, I'm renting a suite at the W until my new house is built.

Hog Farmer
03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
I have 8 tickets. If I win , the Hog Farm and semen factory gets bulldozed !

Secondly I buy 100,000 rentals by putting 20% down and taking mortgages on the 80%.

Next I buy a 12 pack of Corona!

Amnorix
03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
I've often said that if I won a lottery-load of money I'd live in the same house and retire and perhaps travel a lot. With that amount of money, could you even live in the same house? Or would you face kidnapping threats and stuff that would make you have to either hire security guards or move to some sort of fenced enclosure?

Do really rich celebrities have to have armed guards at all times? I'm thinking about people like Paul McCartney, or Tom Hanks, or Warren Buffett. Are they crime targets when they're that rich?

There was an article on what to do if you won yesterday, and it's main focus was on engaging professionals to help and considering staying anonymous. One guy that won 12 or so years ago said he got tangled up in "hundreds" of lawsuits. They didn't give details as to why, but it sounded like a mess. Promises made and broken, perhaps, plus the usual scumbuckets committing fraud, basically.

But yes, if you can stay anonymous, that is the FIRST thing that you do.

Well, the first is to SIGN the ticket on the back. That way nobody can turn it in and say that it's theirs.

Amnorix
03-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I would buy a house in la Jolla, California next door to Mitt Romney, fill it with 100 hot models, ;) then invite everyone on Chiefs Planet (except all those loones that spend all day posting on DC) over and party my ass off.

P.S. I would pay for everyones airfare.

Ok, that's $10 million, maybe, if the house is pretty damn nice. But I don't know California housing -- let's say you go completely nuts. The house is the best in all California, and the models (who aren't normally prostitutes) agree to give it up no questions asked for the large bounty you offer. So let's say you spend $30 million.

Now whaddya do with the other $200 million?

It's truly a staggering figure.

Meanwhile, Warren Buffet is worth what? How many billion?

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Like Clooney's character said in the Descendants, "give your kids enough money so that they can do something but not enough so that they can do nothing".

If my daughter turned out like Paris Hilton, I'd probably regret winning the lottery.

Halfcan
03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
I think you just Blow it all on Booze, drugs and Hookers-lol

Dayze
03-30-2012, 08:41 AM
my luck would be that I'd win, then choke on a chiken bone and die 24 hours later

Bwana
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
my luck would be that I'd win, then choke on a chiken bone and die 24 hours later

ROFL

No doubt, or get hit by a drunk driver, on the way to lottery headquarters.

Frazod
03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
This. Change my phone, done, move, done, no one knows me, done. I am more than half way there.

In many ways, if you do it right, winning the lottery is like going into witness protection. There's an entire industry of scumbags dedicated to stalking lottery winners, and suddenly everybody you ever met in your life is your best friend and wants a piece. Lawyer up immediately, and have an undisclosed location to hide in.

A co-worker's sister won $4 million a few years ago. Had a listed phone number, went in front of the cameras, the whole nine yards. They were harrassed and stalked to the point that they had to move to another town.

Bwana
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
A co-worker's sister won $4 million a few years ago. Had a listed phone number, went in front of the cameras, the whole nine yards. They were harrassed and stalked to the point that they had to move to another town.

And that was over 4 million. With 240 million, watch out. :shake:

Frazod
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
And that was over 4 million. With 240 million, watch out. :shake:

With 240 million, my plan would be to move to an extremely remote, mountainous area with endless locations for shallow, unmarked graves.

Joe Schmuck said he was going to come out and hit me up for some cash? Sorry, never saw him. :)

trndobrd
03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I would spend $3132.82 on mason jars plus $29.78 for shovel, perhaps splurging on overnight shipping for both. Then bury the all the money in my back yard.

$230 million = 2.3million $100 dollar bills

One quart Ball Mason Wide mouth Jar is 57.75 cubic inches and cost $12.33 per dozen

One $100 bill is .069 cubic inches

57.75 / .069 = 836 bills per jar * .90 (90% fill) = 755 bills per jar

2,300,000 bills / 755 = 3046 jars / 12 jars per case = 254 cases * $12.33 = $ 3132.82

32 x $100 bills is less than half a jar and won't change case count.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_011W111328110001P?sid=KDx20070926x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=011W111328110001

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9668-Handle-Digging-Shovel/dp/B000B6Q6BA

Edit: This kind of fits with Frazod's plan.

boogblaster
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
set up the kids fo life .. travel .. help my close friends .. buy some land and cattle .. bank the rest .....

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Whoever wins could bang two chicks at the same time. 240 times.

rageeumr
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
My boss just handed me $20 and told me we're starting a pool. I'm pretty sure we're going to win.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM
My boss just handed me $20 and told me we're starting a pool. I'm pretty sure we're going to win.

Congratulations.

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I have never bought a lottery ticket, and I have never gambled, but am mulling over the idea of getting a ticket. What is the process in buying one of these tickets? Go in and ask for a mega millions lottery ticket, then pick my numbers or let them be computer generated, how much does one of these tickets cost?

tomahawk kid
03-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Sorry boys - bought the winning ticket yesterday morning.

Bwana
03-30-2012, 10:31 AM

Congrats! Enjoy

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I have never bought a lottery ticket, and I have never gambled, but am mulling over the idea of getting a ticket. What is the process in buying one of these tickets? Go in and ask for a mega millions lottery ticket, then pick my numbers or let them be computer generated, how much does one of these tickets cost?

Walk in to a convenience store.

Say, "1 Mega-millions, please."

Say, "No multiplier" or whatever when they ask. Be ready to listen carefully to filter out strong Pakistani accent.

They will default to random numbers unless you get the little form and fill out your own.

Hand them $1.

Dream.

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
If I won, this is what I would do. I would pay off any and all debts that my family has, a lot of my family members are still paying on funeral costs and I would handle that right away. I would clear all debts at our family shop, and completely rennovate and update absolutely everything. I would fire two employees and hire the best two replacements in town.

I would then fully rennovate and update our church, I am a trustee and I see the things we have to fix, we have a million dollar building, and it's nice, but I could make it spectacular. I would also donate a bunch of money to the church to sponsor as many missionaries as we can. I would pay to get an associate pastor.

I would then go back to my high school and go through and completely rennovate the school, I would buy new books, I would help pay to find quality teachers, I would upgrade the gym, football field, track, soccer field, and most importantly the library. I would want kids to be much more educated at my Alma Matter, it's not doing so well right now.

I would then donate a large amount of money to our local Heartbeats organization (don't flame). I would also donate to help as many people as I could, I would donate to some local GED programs. I visited one of these places and there are people who have legitimate reasons they couldn't get their Diploma, and they deserve some help. I would make some sizeable donations to our local food pantrys and homeless shelters, Lord knows how quickly life could put you in that position.

I would then bull doze my parents house and build them a completely new house with everything they could want, they deserve it. I would start a fund for all my nieces and nephews to pay for their educations. I would buy my sister a new car, and my brother 2 new cars, and my other sister a new suburban, she has 6 kids LOL!!

I think I would donate money to a lot of CPers, there are a lot of good people here, some who have businesses and are struggling, I would put them back up on their feet.

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Walk in to a convenience store.

Say, "1 Mega-millions, please."

Say, "No multiplier" or whatever when they ask. Be ready to listen carefully to filter out strong Pakistani accent.

They will default to random numbers unless you get the little form and fill out your own.

Hand them $1.

Dream.

When do they do drawings?

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
In many ways, if you do it right, winning the lottery is like going into witness protection. There's an entire industry of scumbags dedicated to stalking lottery winners, and suddenly everybody you ever met in your life is your best friend and wants a piece. Lawyer up immediately, and have an undisclosed location to hide in.

This makes me kind of sad. It's too bad that you can't win and enjoy it and keep some semblance of your life.

I'd like to think the 99% of the people I know would go "Wow. Congratulations." But maybe people would behave differently in that situation.

I've done some work with some extremely rich people before. At least one billionaire, and a few people worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't think I'd behave differently, but I'll admit that I would go out of my way a little to do small talk with the billionaire, primarily because I'd love to go see his house. Never got invited, though.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
When do they do drawings?

I'm not sure in general, but their site says the next drawing is March 30th.

I've never bought a mega millions ticket before, so this is new to me. I've generally done the Powerball only.

mlyonsd
03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure in general, but their site says the next drawing is March 30th.

I've never bought a mega millions ticket before, so this is new to me. I've generally done the Powerball only.That is correct, tonight. I'll let you all know what my first purchase is.

talastan
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Joining in an office pool as well. It would be nice to win but I'm not planning on it. :shrug:

Brock
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
If I won, this is what I would do. I would pay off any and all debts that my family has, a lot of my family members are still paying on funeral costs and I would handle that right away. I would clear all debts at our family shop, and completely rennovate and update absolutely everything. I would fire two employees and hire the best two replacements in town.

I would then fully rennovate and update our church, I am a trustee and I see the things we have to fix, we have a million dollar building, and it's nice, but I could make it spectacular. I would also donate a bunch of money to the church to sponsor as many missionaries as we can. I would pay to get an associate pastor.

I would then go back to my high school and go through and completely rennovate the school, I would buy new books, I would help pay to find quality teachers, I would upgrade the gym, football field, track, soccer field, and most importantly the library. I would want kids to be much more educated at my Alma Matter, it's not doing so well right now.

I would then donate a large amount of money to our local Heartbeats organization (don't flame). I would also donate to help as many people as I could, I would donate to some local GED programs. I visited one of these places and there are people who have legitimate reasons they couldn't get their Diploma, and they deserve some help. I would make some sizeable donations to our local food pantrys and homeless shelters, Lord knows how quickly life could put you in that position.

I would then bull doze my parents house and build them a completely new house with everything they could want, they deserve it. I would start a fund for all my nieces and nephews to pay for their educations. I would buy my sister a new car, and my brother 2 new cars, and my other sister a new suburban, she has 6 kids LOL!!

I think I would donate money to a lot of CPers, there are a lot of good people here, some who have businesses and are struggling, I would put them back up on their feet.

Boring.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
if i win guys ill share it with all of you

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Boring.

Hey man, it is boring, but I like to give back, you can't take it with you. One of my goals in life is to positively change as many peoples lives as possible IRL. I want to give someone an opportuntiy they never would have had, and then watch them hopefully do the same for someone else.

With that type of money you could stimulate the economy in a small way, but none the less I could help a lot of people.

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
if i win guys ill share it with all of you

IN, so if you do win you will have to give me some cheddar!!! :)

kepp
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Maybe buy a luxury Arrowhead suite for ChiefsPlanet.

sd4chiefs
03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
It's now up to $640M bitches.

sd4chiefs
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Ok, that's $10 million, maybe, if the house is pretty damn nice. But I don't know California housing -- let's say you go completely nuts. The house is the best in all California, and the models (who aren't normally prostitutes) agree to give it up no questions asked for the large bounty you offer. So let's say you spend $30 million.

Now whaddya do with the other $200 million?

It's truly a staggering figure.

Meanwhile, Warren Buffet is worth what? How many billion?

I wife will spend the rest on stupid sh*t.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe I'm not as altruistic as everyone else, but my initial expenditures would be this. (Actual amounts may vary. This is not a contract. I can change my mind at any time, and none of these initial amounts are pledges or in any way required or reflective of a commitment.)

Take-Home: $233 million (more or less) after taxes.

Split with friend: A friend and I have a deal where we each buy tickets and split it, so that's $115 million gone.

Then I'd give away one-third, which is $39 million. It would go like this:

$19.5M - Let my wife decide.

$5.8M - Scholarship fund for my high school. This would allow me to have a rotating fund where I can give away a minimum of 1 $10,000 scholarship each year, renewable for up to four years if they keep up their grades. So I'd have four students getting a scholarship each year - one senior, one junior, one sophomore, and one freshman if they go to college. I'd also have eligibility for kids who want to do apprenticeship in trades, so it wouldn't be just college. Then there'd be enough money that in the fifth year I could give them a congratulatory vacation to some cool place.

$5M - Charitable trust where I can give away at least $50K a year to nonprofits of my choice (mostly animal-related because they're just so adorable)

$3M - Parents

$2M - Sister

$1.2M - Friends (distributed in chunks of varying sizes)

$800K - Other family (distributed widely in $10K-$50K chunks)

$600K - Employees (distributed)

$500K - Niece (in trust fund for house or college)

$500K - Nephew (in trust fund for house or college)

$100K - Really fun day of contests on Chiefsplanet

(Again, actual amounts may vary. This is not a contract. I can change my mind at any time, and none of these initial amounts are pledges or in any way required or reflective of a commitment.)

That would leave me with $76 million for my own expenses, which at a minimum would produce $760,000 a year in income, or roughly $420,000 in take-home. I'd have season tickets for the Chiefs, most definitely, and would probably have some extra seats that I'd raffle off every game in some sort of bizarre Chiefsplanet contest.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
IN, so if you do win you will have to give me some cheddar!!! :)

ill throw the greatest arrowhead MNF tailgate party of all time with all the best bbq chefs there and only top shelf booze and ill rent out motley crue and strippers and we'll ride dirt bikes and shoot guns and the special guest of honor will be none other than Matty ICE Cassel SON! OH shit tell me thats not sweet.

Everyone will have to PM me their email so they can get a special VIP pass

Dayze
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
If I won that kind of coin, I'd go buy one of these, and just drive all over for good year while my 5000 sq ft cabin is being built in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana (not sure where yet).

http://ssqq.com/archive/images/RV%20retirement%2014.jpg

I'd visit museums everywhere i could, national parks and monuments.
and I wouldn't plan any of it. I'd just get up and go 'somewhere'. Stay for however long we wanted, then go to the next place, wherever that may be.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
We all have a pretty damn good idea how we'd spend the money on ourselves, but i had this conversation with the woman last night; where do you draw the line with your family?

She wants to buy everyone cars, and shack them all up in nice homes and all that.

I'm completely against that.

Imagine how annoying it would be to have everyone mooching off you?

ChiefaRoo
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

What are your numbers? :)

tomahawk kid
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
We all have a pretty damn good idea how we'd spend the money on ourselves, but i had this conversation with the woman last night; where do you draw the line with your family?

She wants to buy everyone cars, and shack them all up in nice homes and all that.

I think if you do it as a one time, lump sum to each of them - you take away the annoyance factor.

From a cash outlay standpoint, as long as you invest wisely, you should have more money than you can spend.

Iowanian
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I'd call clark Hunt and ask him how much it would cost me to control the first pick in the next 3 Chiefs drafts......

Dicky McElephant
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM

I would do what my Dad said he would do if he won the lottery. He told us that he would put money aside for us and we wouldn't get it until we went to a 4 year college and graduated with a degree....and it had to be an actual degree....not basket weaving.

Old Dog
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I would make sure my kids and grandkids are taken care of (pay off houses, new cars, grandkids college funds, etc) but other than that, I wouldn't change much. I imagine I would keep coming to work at the same job, hell I love it and would get bored doing nothing.

I would refuse to renew season tickets though until we had a legit QB. THEN, we would have to have a CP suite or two.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
If I won that kind of coin, I'd go buy one of these, and just drive all over for good year while my 5000 sq ft cabin is being built in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana (not sure where yet).

Have your cabin built where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico all meet. Then you don't have to settle for living in one state.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I think if you do it as a one time, lump sum to each of them - you take away the annoyance factor.

From a cash outlay standpoint, as long as you invest wisely, you should have more money than you can spend.

True.

I agreed with her that we could get the family a nice house maybe a family vehicle or two. But That's it.

Imagine you buy your BIL a nice new Beamer, then he goes and wrecks it and asks you for a new Benz.

I could imagine something like that happening.

The money obviously wouldn't be the issue. The issue for me is that i wouldn't want people seeing me as some sort of crutch every time they **** up.

"Got a DUI? Oh it's ok, Detoxing will bail you out."

"Don't have a job? It's ok, Detoxing will pay your bills"

**** THAT.

kepp
1. Become anonymous
2. Pay off all my family's/close relatives' debts
3. Buy a bunch of land in Montana or Wyoming - somewhere off the grid - and build a self-sustaining homestead (energy, food, etc.)
4. Send my parents on some dream vacations
5. Set up some sort of trust, with my Dad as the executor, to handle family issues and whatnot.
6. Send my own family on some dream vacations
7. Anonymously seek out people in desperate situations and give them relief. Families with hospitalized children; etc. I'd need to develop a good vetting process to weed out the scams and people who are just lazy. But that's something I'd really like to be able to do. Like the people who were paying off KMart layaway accounts this past holiday season...only on a much larger scale.

Los Pollos Hermanos
I wonder how much it would cost to bang Kate Upton.

kepp
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM

I'd pay off their current debt and let them have a fresh start. If they ruin that chance, sorry. I'd also probably set up education funds for everyone.

KCUnited
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Non-negotiable annuities for the immediates.

kepp
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I wonder how much it would cost to bang Kate Upton.

I need to add another bullet point to my list.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd pay off their current debt and let them have a fresh start. If they ruin that chance, sorry. I'd also probably set up education funds for everyone.

And then when they fuck up again and ask for money to fix it and you say "No", that makes you the rich, selfish asshole.

In order to avoid all that drama, I'd gather everyone together and lay it all out there. Here is what we're doing, here is how i will help you, but I'm not a free ATM machine or a get out of jail free card, fuck heads.

Dicky McElephant
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah...my immediate family would get a lump sum.

Like my parents.....they'd get $5 million. They don't have to much debt and that would allow them to travel....which is what they would want to do.

My brother and his family would get a couple of million. My brother likes to work....so I really don't think he'd quit just over a couple of million. I'd also set up college funds for my nieces and nephew.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Have your cabin built where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico all meet. Then you don't have to settle for living in one state.

That's a really good idea.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
That's a really good idea.

It'd be my luck, I'd have to pay state income tax to all four states.

Iowanian
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I was counting it up this morning and I personally know 5 people who have won lotteries of $1mil+.

One of them from college, his parents won TWO(2) separate state lotteries within a couple of years, but he's dead so I guess it didn't help.

bevischief
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Go buy a bunker in the middle of nowhere, stock it up and close the door and wait for the madness to end.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
And then when they **** up again and ask for money to fix it and you say "No", that makes you the rich, selfish asshole.

In order to avoid all that drama, I'd gather everyone together and lay it all out there. Here is what we're doing, here is how i will help you, but I'm not a free ATM machine or a get out of jail free card, **** heads.

I think I'd do what other say. In the first month, my immediate clan (parents, sister, niece/nephew) get a hefty lump sum per my earlier post.

For the extended family, I'd do a big family gathering and have games with prizes. The prizes would be things like cruises or checks or cars for the closer people (e.g., cousins and aunts/uncles I grew up with) and smaller things for the next tier out. And that would be it. To get those prizes they would need to sign something that says they will never ask me for money.

However, with only maybe one or two possible exceptions I don't think any of them would ask me for money. I'm lucky to come from a family that doesn't really have deadbeats.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
how many possible combination of winning lotto numbers are there?

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Go buy a bunker in the middle of nowhere, stock it up and close the door and wait for the madness to end.

I was thinking about that. I do want to have a bunker.

I wonder what a awesome underground bunker would cost.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 11:18 AM
how many possible combination of winning lotto numbers are there?

One. That's why it's so hard.

kepp
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM

There's a show called "Doomsday Preppers" on (maybe the Learning Channel...I forget) and on one of the episodes a couple bought an old minute man missile silo/bunker for $40K. It was like 20,000 square feet. I thought that was a great deal.

Pablo
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Cocaine, hookers, and fast cars.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Dicky McElephant
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM

You've got over $200 million dollars......what the fuck does the cost matter?

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM

You can buy those nuclear silos for something reasonable. I don't recall the amount, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $10 million.

Or you could go with this: http://money.cnn.com/video/pf/2012/03/01/pf_uh_jamesburg_earth_station.cnnmoney/?fb_ref=fbLike&fb_source=timeline

bevischief
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Give my wife half so I don't have to list to anything... Immediate family about $500k apiece, setup college funds for my niece and nephew a few friends would get $300k. Set aside a fund for brother's retirement. The lay low and wait out the madness. I have been thinking about this for a long time. Already know which financial company I would have watch my winnings as well.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
There's a show called "Doomsday Preppers" on (maybe the Learning Channel...I forget) and on one of the episodes a couple bought an old minute man missile silo/bunker for $40K. It was like 20,000 square feet. I thought that was a great deal.

Yeah, it's on Natgeo. I've caught a few episodes. 40K for a 20,000 sq ft bunker is insane.

But i'd have have the most badass, comfortable bunker i could dream up, with missile turrets, a massive armory, and a bidet.

bevischief
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

http://www.missilebases.com/properties

Is probably who I buy from.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Cocaine, hookers, and fast cars.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

And then just blow the rest of it.

Bowser
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it's on Natgeo. I've caught a few episodes. 40K for a 20,000 sq ft bunker is insane.

But i'd have have the most badass, comfortable bunker i could dream up, with missile turrets, a massive armory, and a bidet.

Just put a bowl of water down for your dog, for crissakes.

kepp
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM

Very cool!

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM

That's way cool, and those prices seem dirt cheap.

However, if that one in Denver is the one that I'm thinking of, it's got some sort of environmental leakage issue that could kill you or cost you a fortune to clean up. I did some survey work asking about it. Not sure if it's the same one, but the location seems about right, and that would make me wonder about all of them.

Dayze
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd probably learn gunsmithing too. Always wanted to be good at something like that.

kepp
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
That's way cool, and those prices seem dirt cheap.

However, if that one in Denver is the one that I'm thinking of, it's got some sort of environmental leakage issue that could kill you or cost you a fortune to clean up. I did some survey work asking about it. Not sure if it's the same one, but the location seems about right, and that would make me wonder about all of them.

Yeah, I guess that would have to be a concern for anywhere that was used to house nuclear weapons.

DaFace
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
So....did I win?

Bowser
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
So....did I win?

NO. YOU WIN NOTHING. NOW, GOOD DAY, SIR.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
After-tax cash payout is now up to $280 million.

Bowser
03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
After-tax cash payout is now up to $280 million.

I've been told that if someone were to win a big lottery and took the cash, you would receive roughly 30% of the total after ALL taxes are taken out. So, 30% of 540 is 180ish?

180 million in your pocket, all taxes paid.

Dayze
03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
one thing is for sure...if I won, I wouldn't advertise it. I wouldnt' show up for the big check, release my name etc. Wouldn't own a $10M home etc, or drive a Lambo etc.

don't get me wrong, I'd have a nice place and some acreage with some nice toys (guns, 4 wheelers, dirtbikes etc).

In this day and age, there are too many sick bastards out there that are looking to make a quick buck. What better way than to rob a dude you know is worth millions.

Bowser
03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
one thing is for sure...if I won, I wouldn't advertise it. I wouldnt' show up for the big check, release my name etc. Wouldn't own a $10M home etc, or drive a Lambo etc.

don't get me wrong, I'd have a nice place and some acreage with some nice toys (guns, 4 wheelers, dirtbikes etc).

In this day and age, there are too many sick bastards out there that are looking to make a quick buck. What better way than to rob a dude you know is worth millions.

Exactly. There are ways to go about claiming it anonymously, it's jsut a pain in the ass.

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Kansas City would have a nhl or nba team if I won the lottery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I've been told that if someone were to win a big lottery and took the cash, you would receive roughly 30% of the total after ALL taxes are taken out. So, 30% of 540 is 180ish?

180 million in your pocket, all taxes paid.

This one seems to have a higher cash payout amount for some reason. I took that amount and lopped off 40 percent for taxes as an estimate to get to the $280 million. It might be little lower than that, but 40 percent is in the ballpark, I think.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
NO. YOU WIN NOTHING. NOW, GOOD DAY, SIR.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/272/YLGDS.jpg

Bowser
03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
This one seems to have a higher cash payout amount for some reason. I took that amount and lopped off 40 percent for taxes as an estimate to get to the $280 million. It might be little lower than that, but 40 percent is in the ballpark, I think.

Maybe I'm taxing too much? I was always under the impression that when you took the cash option, that they withheld only the federal taxes, not state, local, and the rest.

But I like your theory. I'll like it even more if I win. How will you know? BowserPlanet, complete with goofy fireball breathing turtles. BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE THAT I WON, ok?

Frazod
03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Kansas City would have a nhl or nba team if I won the lottery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buy the Chiefs and get us a real quarterback. Then we could have a football team.

ChiefRocka
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Pick your own numbers or random??

sedated
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM

yeah, and it generally starts with the family.

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Pick your own numbers or random??

Random, I am going to buy 10 tonight, who knows what could happen!!!!

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
yeah, and it generally starts with the family.

I have a friend whose grandparents went in with 10 or so people from their office and they wont $14 mil a piece, his grandparents got sued by some of their own family claiming they had told them they would give them so much if they won. They even got sued by a cousin claiming they owed her money when they didn't.

Needless to say they paid for all their grandkids college, my buddy went to a 30k a year private school for 4 years for nothing.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a friend whose grandparents went in with 10 or so people from their office and they wont $14 mil a piece, his grandparents got sued by some of their own family claiming they had told them they would give them so much if they won. They even got sued by a cousin claiming they owed her money when they didn't.

Needless to say they paid for all their grandkids college, my buddy went to a 30k a year private school for 4 years for nothing.

That's what would worry me the most. People claiming frivolous lawsuits.

Bump
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
I would go into exile. I'd take my mom and sis with me and change our names, I would never talk to any of my friends again, that's for sure. I may be a paranoid, tight bastard but I'd live the rest of my life happy and that's all I ever wanted.

Discuss Thrower
03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
WikiHow suggests forming a blind trust with an attorney to keep confidential thou I'm not sure that would work in a case like this being the largest lottery payoff in history.

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 01:09 PM
That's what would worry me the most. People claiming frivolous lawsuits.

It's a shame, just like when someone who has money dies, the money grab begins.

Marcellus
03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Just donated my $5 to the cause at lunch. May go get another $20 worth. WTH.

-King-
03-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Bought ten quick picks. Literally everyone at Apple Market was buying them. No one left that store without at least one ticket. I've never played any lottery before.

All I know is that both my sisters and my parents would get at least $10 mil each if I won. The rest...who knows. It's pretty much impossible to plan out that kind of money.

DaFace
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I'll never win because I don't play (even in these circumstances). Kind of similarly, if I won, the first thing I'd do is call up the best wealth manager in town and have THEM tell me what to do with it.

(Can you tell I'm an obnoxiously logical person?)

luv
03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Put down $10 on it during lunch. I never play the lottery, so I figured WTH.

I'd be scared to death to invest that much money. Within the first week, I'd be making a few purchases, taking a trip, quitting my job, and moving.

Der Flöprer
03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Jesus. This thing is projected at 670 million as of half an hour ago. Wow! If the whole country goes crazy this thing may get close to a billion. I'm already confident of two things. 1. It will be won tonight. 2. It will be worth 3 quarters of a billion at a bare minimum. I hope there are multiple winners. I hope I'm one of them. First person to rep me gets a million bucks if I win. No bullshit, and I don't care if it's neg rep. Just rep saying "I want the money!"

DeezNutz
03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Jesus. This thing is projected at 670 million as of half an hour ago. Wow! If the whole country goes crazy this thing may get close to a billion. I'm already confident of two things. 1. It will be won tonight. 2. It will be worth 3 quarters of a billion at a bare minimum. I hope there are multiple winners. I hope I'm one of them. First person to rep me gets a million bucks if I win. No bullshit, and I don't care if it's neg rep. Just rep saying "I want the money!"

In.

Frazod
03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Put down $10 on it during lunch. I never play the lottery, so I figured WTH.

I'd be scared to death to invest that much money. Within the first week, I'd be making a few purchases, taking a trip, quitting my job, and moving.

12 of us from work put in $10 each. They basically won't have a staff left if we win. :D

Dayze
03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

...and the winnder will be 68+ years old.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
...and the winnder will be 68+ years old.

Good. Easier to steal from.

Der Flöprer
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
In.

So, while Detoxing repped me first, DeezNutz wants the money! You said the magic word. If I win this thing you have a legal binding contract in writing right here that you got a million bucks coming to you. I know someone who's rooting for me tonight!

Frazod
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
So, while Detoxing repped me first, DeezNutz wants the money! You said the magic word. If I win this thing you have a legal binding contract in writing right here that you got a million bucks coming to you. I know someone who's rooting for me tonight!

Meh. They both suck. Give it to me! :titus:

Dayze
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM

I'd be cool with a couple hundred bucks in Chipotle gift cards.

Der Flöprer
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Meh. They both suck. Give it to me! :titus:

Maybe I'll ship you some Jack Stack BBQ. :D

I'd be cool with a couple hundred bucks in Chipotle gift cards.

You know, if a hundred people hit this thing, that million may bite me in the ass, but I think I can swing you some Chipotle gift cards brah! But only if you use them after smoking some weed.

DeezNutz
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM

So as I'm watching the drawing, I'll need an explanation for why I'll suddenly yell out, "Come on, Mr. Flopnuts! You can do it!!"

El Jefe
03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
So as I'm watching the drawing, I'll need an explanation for why I'll suddenly yell out, "Come on, Mr. Flopnuts! You can do it!!"

Is there anyway to stream this online, I don't have cable?

La literatura
03-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Never played the lottery before. Going to try it today.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM

I should get something for being the first. A couple hundred thousand would be cool.

Dayze
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe I'll ship you some Jack Stack BBQ. :D

You know, if a hundred people hit this thing, that million may bite me in the ass, but I think I can swing you some Chipotle gift cards brah! But only if you use them after smoking some weed.

Well, if I must.............

Iowanian
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I've had some amazing strokes of random luck today.....

Office guys just pooled up and bought our $20/per tickets....

I'm thinking my ass is heading to the poker room tonight....I'm like Charlie Sheen. Winning.

-King-
03-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Is there anyway to stream this online, I don't have cable?

Will likely be on local news.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
I would pay off the houses of my 10 closest friends and pay for their kids college.

Iowanian
03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I would pay off the houses of my 10 closest friends and pay for their kids college.

Hey Buddy...how's it going?

Dayze
03-30-2012, 02:11 PM

LMAO

...long time no see.. Gosh, what's it been?....5, 10.....aww hell. Who cares. I'm just glad to see you again. Let's get some beers.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2012, 02:15 PM

The first thing you should do is pay off all your debt.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 02:17 PM

I could never spend that kind of money anyway... I barely work now(by choice), and have a small side business and I never have to go in my savings now...

I don't have alot of fancy stuff but I don't desire it either...

I am not tight, I just don't ever see anything I want so what I would do is pay of these friends houses and possibly get them debt free so they could breath and hopefully never do it again.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
The first thing you should do is pay off all your debt.

Yea, that's first on my list

Slainte
03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Callie Rogers blew a 2003 U.K. lottery jackpot of $3 million on shopping, cocaine, friends and breast augmentation and told reporters two years ago she was working as a maid. William "Bud" Post squandered his 1988 Pennsylvania prize of more than $16 million on houses, vehicles and bad businesses before going bankrupt and serving time for firing a shotgun at a bill collector before his death in 2006.

Are these outcomes rare? A recent study of Florida lottery winners suggests no.

Economists at the University of Kentucky, University of Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt University wanted to answer a public policy question: What happens when individuals in financial trouble are given large lump sums? So they collected data from nearly 35,000 winners of up to $150,000 in Florida's Fantasy 5 lottery from 1993 to 2002, and cross-referenced this information with state bankruptcy records.

Their findings, published last fall in The Review of Economics and Statistics, show that a big lottery score does little to reduce the likelihood of bankruptcy.

More than 1,900 winners went bankrupt within five years. That number implies that 1% of Florida lottery players (winners and losers) go bankrupt in any given year, about double the rate for the broader population during the study period.

Big lottery winners, defined by the researchers as those awarded between $50,000 and $150,000, were half as likely as small lottery winners to go bankrupt within two years of their score but just as likely to go bankrupt three to five years after. "The results show that giving $50,000 to $150,000 to people only postpones bankruptcy," the authors concluded.
Perhaps most shocking, the typical big winner in the sample was awarded a prize of $65,000, while the most financially distressed ones had unsecured debt of $49,000. In other words, the cash was more than enough to pay off everything most winners owed.

The researchers offer a few theories on why so many winners went bust. Prior research has shown that lottery players have below-average incomes and education; it's no great leap to assume they tend to have limited financial literacy (even compared with a general population that has been shown to sorely lack it). Winners might also engage in something behavioral economists call mental accounting by treating their winnings less cautiously than they would their earnings. Of course, winners might simply "develop a taste for luxury goods that outlasts their money," the researchers write.

There's a more cynical explanation. Florida bankruptcy law allows for an unlimited homestead exemption. That means lottery winners there who are deep in credit card debt have an incentive to put their windfalls toward their home equity. If they file for bankruptcy later, collectors can't touch the cash.

http://www.smartmoney.com/invest/stocks/why-lottery-winners-go-bankrupt-1301002181742/

Dayze
03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
those people are truly morons.
shoot, I'd be perfectly fine with $5M after taxes. have a nice living with just the interest it would draw. Not to mention, I wouldn't work.

I see these shows on TV about how people squander like $20+M etc....how the hell do they do it?....they must think the money will never run out, or they're getting into really good investments that'll make them MORE money.

screw that.

qabbaan
03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I really think I'd keep maybe $1 million (after taxes) and give the rest away. That is more than enough for me to finish medical school or allow me to set my life some other path that 'matters'.

Frankly the idea of being $640 billion rich scares me to death. I don't like to think of what I would probably become. God help me. I doubt if anyone would be a better person on the other side of it. I hope I would spend my life giving it away.

I know you hear everyone say "If I won, I'd pay off all my friends houses and build schools and start charities..."... But do you ever hear of lottery winners doing this stuff? Mostly you hear of divorces and legal battles, that the money is all spent in a decade (not this much money but still).

I think the most fulfilling life you could have would be by giving it all away. And if you want to be famous, you'd be the guy who gave away the most money ever. (I think you'd crave anonymity more than anything after a while, and that would be one thing you couldn't buy.)

Detoxing
Callie Rogers blew a 2003 U.K. lottery jackpot of $3 million on shopping, cocaine, friends and breast augmentation and told reporters two years ago she was working as a maid. William "Bud" Post squandered his 1988 Pennsylvania prize of more than $16 million on houses, vehicles and bad businesses before going bankrupt and serving time for firing a shotgun at a bill collector before his death in 2006.

Are these outcomes rare? A recent study of Florida lottery winners suggests no.

Economists at the University of Kentucky, University of Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt University wanted to answer a public policy question: What happens when individuals in financial trouble are given large lump sums? So they collected data from nearly 35,000 winners of up to $150,000 in Florida's Fantasy 5 lottery from 1993 to 2002, and cross-referenced this information with state bankruptcy records.

Their findings, published last fall in The Review of Economics and Statistics, show that a big lottery score does little to reduce the likelihood of bankruptcy.

More than 1,900 winners went bankrupt within five years. That number implies that 1% of Florida lottery players (winners and losers) go bankrupt in any given year, about double the rate for the broader population during the study period.

Big lottery winners, defined by the researchers as those awarded between $50,000 and $150,000, were half as likely as small lottery winners to go bankrupt within two years of their score but just as likely to go bankrupt three to five years after. "The results show that giving $50,000 to $150,000 to people only postpones bankruptcy," the authors concluded.
Perhaps most shocking, the typical big winner in the sample was awarded a prize of $65,000, while the most financially distressed ones had unsecured debt of $49,000. In other words, the cash was more than enough to pay off everything most winners owed.

The researchers offer a few theories on why so many winners went bust. Prior research has shown that lottery players have below-average incomes and education; it's no great leap to assume they tend to have limited financial literacy (even compared with a general population that has been shown to sorely lack it). Winners might also engage in something behavioral economists call mental accounting by treating their winnings less cautiously than they would their earnings. Of course, winners might simply "develop a taste for luxury goods that outlasts their money," the researchers write.

There's a more cynical explanation. Florida bankruptcy law allows for an unlimited homestead exemption. That means lottery winners there who are deep in credit card debt have an incentive to put their windfalls toward their home equity. If they file for bankruptcy later, collectors can't touch the cash.

http://www.smartmoney.com/invest/stocks/why-lottery-winners-go-bankrupt-1301002181742/

Well I have less than 5K of debt...so pass that money, bitches.

ChiefsCountry
The researchers offer a few theories on why so many winners went bust. Prior research has shown that lottery players have below-average incomes and education; it's no great leap to assume they tend to have limited financial literacy (even compared with a general population that has been shown to sorely lack it).

And there you have it.

Ebolapox
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM

the website has the cash payout at 462 million here in missouri.

Dayze
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
on one of those Lottery shows, it showed this big fat WT lady who lived in the country; gravel road. trailer; toilet for a plant; dogs, chickens etc running around. They were doing 'construction', although not done by a contractor but by her and her husband. They admitted they sort of just 'plan it as the go' etc lol. There were like 8 four -wheelers, with kids riding them all over the place, stirring up dust, chasing animals with them.

then later in the episode, the narrator says something like "But, Dina did splurge on a present for herself"...then cuts to her driving a Lamborghini Murcielago at a drive through fast food joint. Then later, her driving it up her dusty as gravel road for a driveway
what a waste of a car.

$100 says she didn't make it past the 6th grade. What an idiot.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
I think one reason why you hear about people going bankrupt after winning the lottery is that most lottery winnings are not permanently life-altering amounts in both dimensions - current lifestyle and future lifestyle (i.e., retirement). If you win $3 million or $5 million, you can more or less do one of these, but not both. Either keep your current lifestyle and retire (depending on age), or enhance your current lifestyle and keep working until retirement. I think a lot of people think they can do both on that amount, and they ramp up the current lifestyle.

Chief Roundup
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Put a call into Clark Howard and hire him as a consultant before I ever go claim the winnings.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Be still, my beating heart.

So the rev'nooers take roughly $185 million of that in taxes, and you're sitting pretty at $277 million take home.

Ebolapox
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM

So the rev'nooers take roughly $185 million of that in taxes, and you're sitting pretty at $277 million take home.

that's freaking insane.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 02:55 PM

You misunderstood. The 462 is the Cash payout AFTER taxes.

Pretty sure that would also be the number in California as well.

La literatura
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM

No, you're undercutting it. That would be after taxes, as I understand it.

ChiefRocka
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Well, good look gents...going to buy my lucky ticket.

I remember about 5 years back when the magamillions was at like 250million and I hit the first three numbers in succession and my butthole tightened up just long enough to realize I had missed on the rest.

kepp
03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
You misunderstood. The 462 is the Cash payout AFTER taxes.

Pretty sure that would also be the number in California as well.

Geez...that may be TOO MUCH money.

La literatura
03-30-2012, 03:05 PM

I remember about 5 years back when the magamillions was at like 250million and I hit the first three numbers in succession and my butthole tightened up just long enough to realize I had missed on the rest.

If you get four of the numbers or five numbers right, do you get anything?

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 03:06 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that's pre-tax. It's after taking the discount to get immediate cash instead of annuity.

USA Today says in this article that it's pre-tax, though they're also estimating a much lower tax withholding than I was: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-29/megamillions-jackpot/53872762/1. They're saying $462M before taxes and $324 after, which is only a 30 percent tax rate. I though the federal income tax topped out at 36 percent and then you add a state tax of 5 percent. (I presume you'd add state tax - see no reason why not since it's income.) Social security and medicare would be negligible since you only pay that on the first $100,000 or so. I'm not sure how they're ending up at 30.

And yeah, I know it's not all taxed at the top rate, but for that amount of money it's pretty much all of it.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 03:07 PM

Heh. That'd get your heart rate up pretty fast.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I always said the lottery is for losers and have never played it but 2 or 3 times but tonite I will be buying a ticket.

kepp
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I have one dollar bill in my wallet and I'm planning on using it after work.

mnchiefsguy
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM

The billboard on I-435 North had 500 million the other day, and said 540 million this morning.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I always said the lottery is for losers and have never played it but 2 or 3 times but tonite I will be buying a ticket.

I don't understand how dropping a few bucks on the lottery once in awhile make anyone a loser.

I lose that much money in change every week that falls into my couch.

Der Flöprer
Gambling winnings are taxed at 30%.

Detoxing
The billboard on I-435 North had 500 million the other day, and said 540 million this morning.

That was the total before taxes. But it's been updated as of this morning.

Dayze
03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
so is this a national lottery? or a state one?

I might buy a ticket when I pick up some beer...butd don't know what ticket to get.

Rain Man
If you get four of the numbers or five numbers right, do you get anything?

This link shows both the state taxes and the prizes. http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-faq.htm

4 right, no megaball = $150
4 right + megaball = $10,000 and a lot of pounding your head against the wall
5 right, no megaball = $250,000
5 right + megaball = several hundred chicks at the same time

It looks like they take out 25% immediately for federal taxes. If you don't quickly give a bunch to charity, you're going to be writing another check at the end of the year for about $50 million in this case. So they're underestimating taxes since you'd be paying 35% to the feds, more or less. Then you add the state tax on top of that, using the figures shown in the link.

Dicky McElephant
I don't understand how dropping a few bucks on the lottery once in awhile make anyone a loser.

Like I said earlier....if you're blowing $15-$20 every time on the lottery....you've got a problem. If you drop $1-$2 when it's big like this....you're just taking a chance.

mnchiefsguy
I have one dollar bill in my wallet and I'm planning on using it after work.

Have never played mega millions, although the wife and I bought some powerball tickets four or five years ago when we lived in MN and the jackpot got up to 300 million....I had her pick up a ticket today when she filled up with gas.

Even after all the incredible amount of taxes, that is just an insane amount of money.

Detoxing
03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that's pre-tax. It's after taking the discount to get immediate cash instead of annuity.

USA Today says in this article that it's pre-tax, though they're also estimating a much lower tax withholding than I was: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-29/megamillions-jackpot/53872762/1. They're saying $462M before taxes and $324 after, which is only a 30 percent tax rate. I though the federal income tax topped out at 36 percent and then you add a state tax of 5 percent. (I presume you'd add state tax - see no reason why not since it's income.) Social security and medicare would be negligible since you only pay that on the first $100,000 or so. I'm not sure how they're ending up at 30.

And yeah, I know it's not all taxed at the top rate, but for that amount of money it's pretty much all of it.

oh. I always thought "Cash Value" meant after taxes when it came to the lottery.

You saying that "The man" skims a couple hundred million off the top as a penalty for taking a lump sum?

Dicky McElephant
I don't care how fucked up this sounds.....but if I won.....I'd find a huge piece of land and build a compound for my close family. Each house would be far enough away for privacy....but close enough to walk to and from.

Security wall....cameras.....everything. I don't fucking trust people at all.

Rain Man
so is this a national lottery? or a state one?

I might buy a ticket when I pick up some beer...butd don't know what ticket to get.

It's in 40+ states, I believe. It's a multi-state lottery.

R8RFAN

It's not calling you a loser personally friend, The lottery is for losers because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999 of the people who play it.. Lose

Oh and a couple bucks is cool too, but people who try to supplement their income with it now thats another story.

Brock
03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
It's not calling you a loser personally friend, The lottery is for losers because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999 of the people who play it.. Lose

You don't get it. No big surprise there.

Dayze
I don't care how ****ed up this sounds.....but if I won.....I'd find a huge piece of land and build a compound for my close family. Each house would be far enough away for privacy....but close enough to walk to and from.

Security wall....cameras.....everything. I don't ****ing trust people at all.

doesn't sound screwed up to me at all.
People are bat shit crazy.

I'd build my big A cabin in the moutains somewhere, and install some premo surveillance, and eary detection warning stuff. Have a safe room or bunker; or hidden room or something.

like maybe an EW system that if triped would play some Tornado Sirens. Like some Area 51 detection stuff

Rain Man
oh. I always thought "Cash Value" meant after taxes when it came to the lottery.

You saying that "The man" skims a couple hundred million off the top as a penalty for taking a lump sum?

Yeah, it's kind of a scam.

If you win $600 million, it's payable in annual installments over a period of 20 or 25 years or some such thing. Thus, the value of that 20th payment is a lot lower because of inflation. So you can elect to go with "cash value" to get it all now, but in that case they discount it since they're paying it now. So it's kind of a scam since you don't really get all of the stated money immediately.

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't care how ****ed up this sounds.....but if I won.....I'd find a huge piece of land and build a compound for my close family. Each house would be far enough away for privacy....but close enough to walk to and from.

Security wall....cameras.....everything. I don't ****ing trust people at all.

I think you're about the 20th person who's mentioned that plan. I might be doing it too. It's funny how many of us think the same way.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
You don't get it. No big surprise there.

Oh I got it alright, but it's in my wallet

Dicky McElephant
03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
I wonder how much it costs to create a dome like in the Simpsons.

Brock
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Oh I got it alright, but it's in my wallet

Yeah, enjoy that two bucks you can't seem to live without.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Yeah, enjoy that two bucks you can't seem to live without.

I already said I was buying one today Douche Nozzle , want me to buy you one?

4th and Long
03-30-2012, 03:32 PM
The Mega Millions jackpot has surged to a record $640 million, and lotto hopefuls have a 1 in 176 million chance of picking the lucky numbers. Here’s a look at some of the things that you have a better chance of experiencing.

Being struck by lightning

You have a 1 in 1 million chance of getting hit by lightning, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Getting wiped out by an asteroid

While there are many caveats, there's a 1-in-a-few-million chance of the Earth getting wiped out by a large asteroid, a NASA spokesperson said.

Getting a royal flush in a five-card draw

The chance of getting this poker gem is one in 649,740, according to sports news site Sportinglife.com.

Having identical quadruplets

Yes, you have a greater chance of having identical quadruplets than winning the Mega Millions jackpot. Odds are 1 in 13 million, according to an NBC report.

Dying from a bee sting

Scared of dying from a bee sting? Well, you have a 1 in 6.1 million chance of dying from one, according to the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis.

Dying in a plane crash

The odds of dying on a flight with one of the top 30 airlines that has a good accident record is 1 in 29.4 million, according to Planecrashinfo.com

Having Lumpy give you a mouth hug

The odds are zero, unless your name is Gonzo.

R8RFAN
03-30-2012, 03:35 PM
The Mega Millions jackpot has surged to a record $640 million, and lotto hopefuls have a 1 in 176 million chance of picking the lucky numbers. Here’s a look at some of the things that you have a better chance of experiencing.

Being struck by lightning

You have a 1 in 1 million chance of getting hit by lightning, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Getting wiped out by an asteroid

While there are many caveats, there's a 1-in-a-few-million chance of the Earth getting wiped out by a large asteroid, a NASA spokesperson said.

Getting a royal flush in a five-card draw

The chance of getting this poker gem is one in 649,740, according to sports news site Sportinglife.com.

Having identical quadruplets

Yes, you have a greater chance of having identical quadruplets than winning the Mega Millions jackpot. Odds are 1 in 13 million, according to an NBC report.

Dying from a bee sting

Scared of dying from a bee sting? Well, you have a 1 in 6.1 million chance of dying from one, according to the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis.

Dying in a plane crash

The odds of dying on a flight with one of the top 30 airlines that has a good accident record is 1 in 29.4 million, according to Planecrashinfo.com

Having Lumpy give you a mouth hug

The odds are zero, unless your name is Gonzo.

But add that one important thing...

Somebody is gonna win eventually

Rain Man
03-30-2012, 03:43 PM
But add that one important thing...

Somebody is gonna win eventually

Yep. The likelihood of someone winning is 100%. That's all I need.