PDA

View Full Version : Bill Williamson: Chiefs eye QBs

Okie_Apparition
03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
~slow Chiefs news day

Chiefs smart to look at rookie QB prospects

March, 30, 2012 Mar 302:35PM
Bill Williamson

A lot of Chiefs’ fans are all riled up by the news that the Kansas City Chiefs are considering at least two of the top quarterbacks available in the draft.

My reaction? Predictable.

The Chiefs looked into some of the quarterbacks in last year’ draft pool, and I expect them to look at several this year. So, it’s no shock the team is taking closer looks at Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill and Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins.

Kansas City starter Matt Cassel turns 30 in May. It would behoove the Chiefs to look for a young prospect to develop. The Chiefs probably have a better chance to draft Cousins rather than Tannehill. Kansas City has the No. 11 pick in the draft, and Tannehill is expected to taken before then.

Cousins is expected to be a second-round pick. The Chiefs have the No. 44 pick in the second round and could have a real shot at Cousins

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the Chiefs show interest in other quarterbacks in the coming weeks, such as Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden, Arizona’s Nick Foles, and Arizona State’s Brock Osweiler.

The Chiefs don’t have a ton of pressing needs, so this might be the time to try to snag the quarterback of the future, and I’m sure that is why the Chiefs are taking pre-draft looks at players at the position.

Meanwhile, in a radio interview, Chiefs’ safety Eric Berry talks about his recovery from a torn knee ligament.

---------------------------------
The Chiefs are looking at rookie quarterbacks. Who do you think they should pursue?

31% Ryan Tannehill

27% Kirk Cousins

28% Brandon Weeden

14% Brock Osweiler

(Total votes: 1,090)

Ebolapox
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
no thanks on weeden. I guess I could live with nick foles, much rather have tannehill.

ForeverChiefs58
03-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I just hope they don't once again pass on the best NT in the draft who should also be there with our 2nd pick.

scott free
03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Cant see Pioli taking a qb this year... his 'longtime companion' & franchise guy is onboard, the developmental project is here, same for the veteran stopgap/reclamation.

He's pigheaded & self-assured enough to feel confident with that imo.

Eyeing one & taking one, are worlds apart.

Saccopoo
03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't mind Weeden. He was as good, if not better, than both Luck and Griffin in head to head matchups this past season. He plays a heady, mature game, makes superb reads and has a nice arm. He's got a great feel in the pocket and runs through his progressions quickly.

He's 28. That's two years younger than Cassel and he's probably/certainly the better quarterback right now.

I wouldn't mind them picking up Weeden and having an open, honest QB competition with the best three remaining on roster and trading the other guy left over. I certainly wouldn't bet against Weeden in a showdown versus Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi.

buddha
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice to know the Chiefs don't have many pressing needs. I thought they did.

Nightfyre
03-30-2012, 09:26 PM
I would rather trade away this years second for a first next year than draft any of the second round QBs in this draft. PERIOD.

BryanBusby
03-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't take Cousins. I don't think there's much untapped potential left in him, and he's just a mediocre QB.

morphius
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't mind Weeden. He was as good, if not better, than both Luck and Griffin in head to head matchups this past season. He plays a heady, mature game, makes superb reads and has a nice arm. He's got a great feel in the pocket and runs through his progressions quickly.

He's 28. That's two years younger than Cassel and he's probably/certainly the better quarterback right now.

I wouldn't mind them picking up Weeden and having an open, honest QB competition with the best three remaining on roster and trading the other guy left over. I certainly wouldn't bet against Weeden in a showdown versus Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi.
Yup, while not ideal because of his age he is probably the guy I'd be least disappointed in if they draft him. At this point I believe all the Tannehill love is just because he is considered the third best QB by draft experts, and not because people really want him.