PDA

View Full Version : "With that said, Poe and the Chiefs seem like a match made in NFL Draft Heaven."

Direckshun
04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Scott Wright wrote that (http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php) in his first mock on the 30th of March, just a few days ago.

Wright's one of the leading minds in the Draft, and was the only person in the media to call both of the Chiefs' 1st rounders in 2009 and 2010.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

11 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: DONTARI POE, NT, MEMPHIS

After years of rebuilding the Chiefs have a nice core of young talent in place, but job is far from complete. One spot that must still be upgraded is nose tackle, where 35-year-old Kelly Gregg was merely a stop-gap solution. Dontari Poe is a massive 346 pound space-eater in the middle but is also surprisingly athletic, quick and agile. Those freakish physical tools were on full display at the Scouting Combine, where Poe stunned evaluators by running a 4.98 forty yard dash and throwing up 44 reps in the bench press. In addition to being able to play nose tackle in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, Poe could also see action as a defensive end in an odd front and that versatility will only add to his value. Chiefs GM Scott Pioli drafted Vince Wilfork during his tenure with the Patriots and Poe could play a similar role and have the same type of impact in Kansas City. The Chiefs could do better at inside linebacker alongside Derrick Johnson too so Luke Kuechly of Boston College or perhaps even Dont’a Hightower of Alabama could be possibilities as well. Don't rule out Stanford OG David DeCastro either. With that said, Poe and the Chiefs seem like a match made in NFL Draft Heaven.

SNR
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Nobody called Tyson Jackson for the Chiefs until two days beforehand, and that's because EVERYBODY had that pick leaked. Wright gets no credit.

Eric Berry was a no-brainer for the Chiefs. He merely assumed Pioli wasn't that fucking stupid. Again, Wright gets no credit.

I have no doubt Wright is a great draft mind, but this is an instance where he has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

Direckshun
04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Nobody called Tyson Jackson for the Chiefs until two days beforehand, and that's because EVERYBODY had that pick leaked. Wright gets no credit.

I believe Wright was the first who broke the TJ business.

I was pretty active on ChiefsPlanet at the time, and I do not remember the TJ pick being leaked.

Nightfyre
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Poe doesn't fit the criteria of what Pioli will want to spend a first round draft pick. He is going to require at least two to three years of coaching to become effective. He also played at a small school and didn't produce any worthwhile film.

SNR

I was pretty active on ChiefsPlanet at the time, and I do not remember the TJ pick being leaked.SOMEBODY leaked it. Nearly every single last-minute draft from Kiper, Mayock, the other experts had Jackson as the Chiefs' pick at #3.

I could have sworn it was Gosselin that broke the story but I could be wrong.

Nightfyre

I was pretty active on ChiefsPlanet at the time, and I do not remember the TJ pick being leaked.

The TJ pick was leaked well before the draft.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Poe doesn't fit the criteria of what Pioli will want to spend a first round draft pick.

this

Pioli watches tape

Direckshun
04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
The TJ pick was leaked well before the draft.

I've spent the time since my last post trying to locate a thread discussing that here on CP prior to the 2009 draft.

Can't find one.

Methinks there might be some revisionist history going on here.

Nightfyre
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I've spent the time since my last post trying to locate a thread discussing that here on CP prior to the 2009 draft.

Can't find one.

I know for a fact that one of the talking heads leaked it well-before the draft. I remember that quite distinctly.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/4/19/844616/chiefs-in-love-with-lsus-tyson

RUSH
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Wright had the Chiefs taking Bulaga the entire time leading up to the draft.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/archive/2010/2010-Mock.php

I also do remember everyone being on the Jackson pick a few days before the draft.

Conclusion: he doesn't know shit

Chiefnj2
04-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Can't find one.

Gil Brandt leaked it about a week before the draft.

Woodrow Call
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Yep, then I think Peter King followed closely thereafter.

DTLB58
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Bingo! I was going to post this but thought I would read thru first. He actually said a few days before that he guaranteed TJ would be a top 5 pick.

Direckshun
04-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Wright had the Chiefs taking Bulaga the entire time leading up to the draft.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/archive/2010/2010-Mock.php

I also do remember everyone being on the Jackson pick a few days before the draft.

Conclusion: he doesn't know shit

Wright's last mock had Jackson as the pick.

Direckshun
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Yep, then I think Peter King followed closely thereafter.

Bingo! I was going to post this but thought I would read thru first. He actually said a few days before that he guaranteed TJ would be a top 5 pick.

Awesome. Thanks.

Nightfyre
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Wright's last mock had Jackson as the pick.

So did everybody else.

O.city
04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
If I thought Poe could have Ngata or Wilfork impact for the defense, I'm making that pick yesterday. I don't think he will though.

buddha
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
If I thought Poe could have Ngata or Wilfork impact for the defense, I'm making that pick yesterday. I don't think he will though.

Who gives a flying f*** about if Wright predicted Jackson or not? It doesn't matter.

What does matter is the quoted point above. Poe may have all of the potential in the world (ala: Ryan Sims)...it won't matter because he runs into blocks and sticks like glue to them!!! That's the deal breaker of all deal breakers for NTs and DTs at this level. And then you combine that with his lack of drive or motor...why do any of you want this guy? Are you just so used to being disappointed by the Chiefs that you are instinctively looking for the guy who will have the best chance of continuing the emotional abuse?

Stop this bullshit now. Watch Poe's video "highlights" and tell me that you would draft this piece of shit before the fourth round? Try using your own eyes and brain just this once!

xztop12
04-05-2012, 12:29 PM
thats good and all but how on earth did he call both our first rounders?

Pestilence
04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Vince Wilfork - Did something in college games.
Dontari Poe - Did jack shit in college games.

Direckshun
04-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Wes Bunting.

2:48 [Comment From algwizalgwiz: ]
i hear poe is dropping..how low will poe go
Wednesday April 4, 2012 2:48 algwiz
2:49 Wes: I don't think he gets past KC at 11

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Enter-the-44-NFL-Draft-Live-Chat-here.html

Chiefnj2
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
These guys have no idea who KC is going to take. They never have a clue 3 weeks out.

the Talking Can
04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
poe is the only player that will make me sick if we draft him...

SNR
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Wes Bunting.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Enter-the-44-NFL-Draft-Live-Chat-here.htmlIs he related to the guy who told Vermeil he'd kill his entire family if he didn't draft Ryan Sims?

Sfeihc
04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Vince Wilfork - Did something in college games.
Dontari Poe - Did jack shit in college games.

THIS! Comparing Poe to Wilfork is crazy talk. :)

DJ's left nut
04-06-2012, 01:29 PM

I don't like Barron there either.

There are about 10 guys I would be fine with at that pick, but Poe is the one that would piss me off the most.

He's going to be awful at the next level.

ChiefGator
04-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I think Poe drops like Powe did last year. We may be able to ge Poe in the third.

Part of the thing about running a 3-4 is you are supposed to be able to find down lineman later in the draft. They need to be extraordinary talent to be taken as a space-hog with no pass rush in the first.

Mi_chief_fan
04-07-2012, 07:08 AM
I think Poe drops like Powe did last year. We may be able to ge Poe in the third.

Part of the thing about running a 3-4 is you are supposed to be able to find down lineman later in the draft. They need to be extraordinary talent to be taken as a space-hog with no pass rush in the first.

While he may drop some, I seriously doubt he drops any further than Terrance Cody did. Could drop to around 50, could go top 20.

milkman
04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Who gives a flying f*** about if Wright predicted Jackson or not? It doesn't matter.

What does matter is the quoted point above. Poe may have all of the potential in the world (ala: Ryan Sims)...it won't matter because he runs into blocks and sticks like glue to them!!! That's the deal breaker of all deal breakers for NTs and DTs at this level. And then you combine that with his lack of drive or motor...why do any of you want this guy? Are you just so used to being disappointed by the Chiefs that you are instinctively looking for the guy who will have the best chance of continuing the emotional abuse?

Stop this bullshit now. Watch Poe's video "highlights" and tell me that you would draft this piece of shit before the fourth round? Try using your own eyes and brain just this once!

Why are you busting O.City's balls?

Coogs
04-07-2012, 09:22 AM
While he may drop some, I seriously doubt he drops any further than Terrance Cody did. Could drop to around 50, could go top 20.

No matter how far he drops, it still does not change the fact he had a very poor time in the three cone drill. I have read the three cone drill is the best single drill there is to prognosticate future success of DT's. He doesn't have it. Give me somebody else for that spot.

Mi_chief_fan
04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
No matter how far he drops, it still does not change the fact he had a very poor time in the three cone drill. I have read the three cone drill is the best single drill there is to prognosticate future success of DT's. He doesn't have it. Give me somebody else for that spot.

I tend to agree, but that wasn't what I was getting at; I could see him drop,but I doubt he makes it to the 3rd. I wouldn't want to draft him in the 1st.

ChiefGator
04-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I tend to agree, but that wasn't what I was getting at; I could see him drop,but I doubt he makes it to the 3rd. I wouldn't want to draft him in the 1st.

May be so.. we'll see. My money is he is on available at the start of the 3rd.

As to Coogs's argument... if he is available in the 3rd, I would take him, and hope he becomes an effective run-lane clogging body. It's worth the risk there, IMHO.

Direckshun
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I love how I got shat all over for blowing Wright's horn.

PGM
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Scott Wright is a true draft guru. Damn.

KurtCobain
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
A MATCH MADE IN SOME SICK HEAVEN WHERE THEY START TO GIVE YOU ICE CREAM BUT REALLY IT'S A BOWL OF PUBES

|Zach|
04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
A MATCH MADE IN SOME SICK HEAVEN WHERE THEY START TO GIVE YOU ICE CREAM BUT REALLY IT'S A BOWL OF PUBES

LMAO

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:31 AM

proof the gods hate me

whoman69
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
proof the gods hate me

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/spikelee3.jpg

DJ's left nut
04-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't like Barron there either.

There are about 10 guys I would be fine with at that pick, but Poe is the one that would piss me off the most.

He's going to be awful at the next level.

I do love being a Chiefs fan...