PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Chiefs First Rounder - No man's land

Saccopoo
04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Unlike the past three drafts, where players of need were available with the Chiefs first round selection, the 2012 NFL draft has the Chiefs sitting in a bit of no man's land at the 11th spot.

The Chief's roster has been rapidly filled with quality young players and only a few holes are left to be filled.

The signing of Eric Winston to play right offensive tackle filled the biggest hole on the team.

Quarterback is the second most glaring need, but the two franchise players at that position, Luck and Griffin, will be gone with the first two picks in the draft. Most here wouldn't have been too upset with the Chiefs giving up what Washington did to move up, but the Chiefs are still in need of quality depth at nearly every position on the team (even though most positions have quality starters). Those first rounders are still valuable assests.

Center now becomes the biggest need for the team as Casey Wiegmann will turn 39 this year and has contemplated retirement the past two seasons. There is no experienced center on the roster besides Wiegmann.

Offensive tackle is also a position of need, even with the signing of Eric Winston. There is no proven backup on the roster and project players like David Mims do not fit the zone blocking system the Chiefs will run. As well, Brandon Albert will be a free agent after the 2012 season and depending upon potential contract demands, the Chiefs might look for insurance for the position in this draft to get a guy into the system sooner rather than later.

Defensive end is much the same as the offensive tackle spot where current starter Glenn Dorsey is in a contract year. Even though the Chiefs selected Allen Bailey last year in the third round, depth is needed pending a potential departure by Dorsey.

The Chiefs would most likely want to trade out of the #11 selection and pick up additional picks later in the draft. However, that is a difficult thing to do and is based solely on team need and player availablity in the draft.

With that in mind, here are the players who I think the Chiefs should/will be considering at the #11 pick:

Riley Rieff, OT; Iowa
- A solid, fundamentally sound player who could play a number of position on the offensive line.

Jon Martin, OT; Stanford
- Was dominant for much of the 2011 season; a powerful run blocker with excellent length. Could play either LT or RT - I like him better than Rieff as a prospect.

David DeCastro, G; Stanford
- Technically sound with excellent knee bend and footwork. A pure guard though as he has short arm length and didn't look good at the center spot at Stanford's pro day.

Peter Konz, C; Wisconsin
- The best center in this draft. Amazing run blocker who is also effective in pass protection. Simply drives people off the line and buries them.

Michael Brockers, DT; LSU
- Prototype + for a 34 defensive end. Huge base with enormous wing span. Excellent motor. Still growing into his frame. Upside for the position is incredible.

Devon Still, DT; Penn State
- 6'5", 305 lbs. and has playmaker tools. Motor is a bit "off and on" though.

Fletcher Cox, DT; Mississippi State
- Another long defensive tackle who has superb athleticism. Would easily transition to the DE spot in our scheme.

Dontari Poe, DT; Memphis
- Mountain of a man who put together a jaw dropping combine. Game film doesn't back up the elite athleticism, but the tools are there.

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB; Alabama
- A talented, big cornerback (6'3", 200 lbs.) whose game tape is better than his combine measurables, though a 4.43 40 should help alieviate concerns.

Mark Barron, S; Alabama
- A hard hitting, athletic safety who elevated his play in 2011. The knock has been he lacks top flight coverage skills and is more of a run support type of player.

Luke Kuechly, ILB; Boston College
- An absolute tackling machine. Always around the ball and can play sideline to sideline. A slightly better version of Derrick Johnson at the same stage with better intangibles (self motivator and shed blocks better).

Dont'a Hightower, ILB; Alabama
- Huge middle linebacker that has excellent athleticism at his size. A two down thumper in the Chiefs system.

Melvin Ingram, OLB/DE; South Carolina
- Superb athleticism and power for a 6'1", 265 lbs. player and posseses excellent fluidity in the open field. A lack of proven depth/talent beyond Tamba Hali. Houston must show he can do it for an entire season.

Whitney Mercilus, OLB/DE; Illinois
- Led the college ranks in sacks in 2011 with 16. Excellent length and size (6'4", 265 lbs.), he absolutely destroyed everyone he faced this past season (crushed Ohio State OT Mike Adams in their matchup). Exceptionally fast and strong (4.63 40 and 27 reps at 225 at the combine).

O.city
04-07-2012, 03:17 PM
If we could trade down, I would probably be fine with taking Konz. Kuechly makes sense to me, as does Hightower if we could trade down a bit.

Mercilus is intriguing as is Brockers. I think Brockers has Seymour type upside if he can be motivated enough.

With all that said, I think Decastro is the pick.

Sets the line up for a pretty good run, with some depth coming later in the draft.

whoman69
04-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm looking at the two players that could upgrade the current starter the most. First would be DeCatro who is a big upgrade over Lija but would have Hudson moving to center. Next would be Luke Kuechly, who is a great improvement over Belcher in cover skills. Barron would move Berry over to FS where he would have less responsibilities in the run game, but I just like Berry's determination and athleticism to stay where they are.

O.city
04-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I would like to move Berry to FS, as I think that would keep him healthy but he is so great at defending the run it's tough.

It would be tough to not take Decastro if he is sitting there for the taking.

prhom
04-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm going to be very very surprised if we pass on DeCastro if he's there unless we get a great offer to trade down. I don't think they're scared to pick him at #11 though.

Pestilence
04-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I would like to move Berry to FS, as I think that would keep him healthy but he is so great at defending the run it's tough.

It would be tough to not take Decastro if he is sitting there for the taking.

Yeah....but you could put Barron at the SS spot and still be getting excellent run support. Berry at FS would allow him to be the ball hawk that he is. Plus it would add years to his career.

O.city
04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah....but you could put Barron at the SS spot and still be getting excellent run support. Berry at FS would allow him to be the ball hawk that he is. Plus it would add years to his career.

Yeah, and I would be very happy with that.

You are a ND fan, could Harrison Smith do that too? I would rather take Decastro in the first then Smith in the second or even the kid from Boise State later in the draft.

Nightfyre
04-07-2012, 06:10 PM

You are a ND fan, could Harrison Smith do that too? I would rather take Decastro in the first then Smith in the second or even the kid from Boise State later in the draft.

I think Smith and Berry could make an interesting tandem because they can both play each safety position. It would provide an additional level of concealment for the QB to try and get through.

Bewbies
04-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Personally I'd talk Molk later and keep Hudson at G over taking DeCastro. Especially at 11. That makes no sense at all.

Saccopoo
04-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Personally I'd talk Molk later and keep Hudson at G over taking DeCastro. Especially at 11. That makes no sense at all.

I would too. Unless you (the Chiefs) feel that Asamoah isn't progressing. He was spotty this past season and has a lot of room for improvement. I like him a lot, and he has the tools, but he wasn't as dominant as his All-American stature suggests he should be.

However, Hudson was every bit as good as DeCastro at the same stage. Picking a guy like Molk or Brewster or Garner later in the draft would enable them to keep Rod at guard and get a guy who actually played the center position at a high level.

O.city
04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Here is what I'm thinking.

Of all the things we really need or spots we really need to fill, can be had with a player just as good. Seems to me that we basically have a luxury pick at 11. We don't have a huge hole that can really be filled at that spot.

I think and this is just my opinion, we should take the player that we think can be the best playmaker, in the long run for this team. The guy who is a talented freak that can make plays. Even if he doesn't necessarily make a huge impact this year, we can be alright.

I think Mercilus is an intriguing pick. He could be used in pass rush packages only for next year and groomed into whatever you think he could be.

It doesn't even have to be Mercilus, just whoever you think has the chance to be a greatly impactful player at his spot.

Maybe Decastro can be that, but like Sac has said, we already have to Collegiate all american guards on the team. Why not add an all american Center as well?

Saccopoo
04-07-2012, 08:40 PM
As of right now, I think that the best pick would be Jon Martin, OT, Stanford.

There is only Albert and Winston on the roster who are actual offensive tackles and if someone loses their mind and overpays for Albert next year we need to have a guy in place.

Likewise, if either Albert or Winston gets injured, we are totally fucking screwed. If you thought Sabby Piscatelli was bad filling in for Berry last season, just wait and see what you'll get with someone like Mims at either tackle spot.

If Dorsey leaves or Jackson or he gets injured, at least we have Bailey (who I thought looked really good when he got reps last season).

Saccopoo
04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
The highest upside guys are Michael Brockers and Whitney Mercilus.

The Chiefs don't have a lot invested in Houston and there isn't really any pass rushing depth. Mercilus fits the mold for what you want in a 3-4 outside rush linebacker.

Though, depending upon what they do with Dorsey, Brockers is likewise ideal for a 34 defensive end. You just don't find 6'5", 325 lbs. dudes who are athletic like that very often.

If it was my call, this is what my top five for the 11th pick would look like:

1. Jon Martin
2. Whitney Mercilus
3. Michael Brockers
4. Pete Konz
5. Luke Kuechly

Bewbies
04-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I love you sacc. Still going OT in the first is classic.

Dmello12
04-08-2012, 09:59 AM

George Iloka the safety from boise would be a great pick later. a big kid who has speed played some corner and who is very smart. enjoyed watching his interviews on youtube

Chief2Chief
04-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Mims fits into zone, pass and run blocking for any OC with a ounce of football knowledge. Makes very little sense to bring in smaller (bigger name) tackles given David Mims treatment by the Chiefs and his experience in the NFL.

milkman
04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Mims fits into zone, pass and run blocking for any OC with a ounce of football knowledge. Makes very little sense to bring in smaller (bigger name) tackles given David Mims treatment by the Chiefs and his experience in the NFL.

How you doing Mrs. Mims?