PDA

View Full Version : Who The Chiefs Are Drafting, Chiefs Fans Ed.

Direckshun
04-13-2012, 08:11 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/4/9/2935354/official-mock-draft-thread-4-9-4-16

1. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

I mean, come on. Did you think I would go somewhere else with the first pick? There is no where else to go! He's a top 5 talent playing a position that pushes him out of the top 10. We will be lucky if he is around at 11. DeCastro will be ready to start early and will be our best offensive lineman by his 2nd year. He is going to have an awesome career. We will not regret this.

2. Devon Still, DE, Penn St

Yeah, I think Still will fall to us here. While I am still a supporter of both Dorsey and Jackson, they both have huge contracts. We need some insurance in case we have to cut one of them loose. Hint: it won't be Jackson. Still is an absolute beast that I think will be much better than Brockers and is more suited to our style of defense than Reyes (who is more finesse).

3.Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State

I really, really like McClellin here. He's versatile enough to play DE or be a rush OLB. I don't think he's someone who would step in and be a starter anytime soon (or maybe ever), but he can be used in so many different situations. He would help provide a great pass rush and is just an all around swell guy. My only concern is that he'll be gone by this pick.

4. A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois

Jenkins is someone that the Chiefs have shown individual interest in. He is a productive guy (90+ catches and 1200+ yards) and showed some very good speed running a 4.4 at the combine.

5. Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese State

My gut tells me that Jackson will be gone by now. In fact, my gut tells me that he is going to shoot up the draft boards and go in the 3rd round. My gut is also telling me that I'm hungry. What the hell does my gut know. He is currently projected as a 5th-6th rounder and he just fits our situation so perfectly. I would absolutely love Jackson here.

6. Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU

Matt Reynolds started all 52 games while at BYU. Matt Reynolds has high character. Matt Reynolds is a stud who has enough potential to be a starter on our line somewhere down the line. Matt Reynolds, Matt Reynolds, Matt Reynolds.

7(a). Adrien Cole, ILB, Louisiana Tech

Adrien Cole is a tackling machine from the WAC who can come in and provide quality depth while helping right away on special teams. He is undersized for an ILB (5-11, 245). But he has shown the ability to produce in game when given the chance (120+ tackles his senior season).

7(b). Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson

The dude is a hammer. If we are going to run the ball, I would love a smash mouth baller like this guy leading the way for our backs.

NE trade 27 and 31 for 11. They move up for Quinton Coples or Melvin Ingram. They need a Pass rusher bad.

Trade Cassel for a 4th round pick.

1. (27) Dont’a Hightower. ILB. Hightower falls past Pittsburgh. We can’t expect him to fall much further.

1. (31) Kevin Zeitler. OG Play it safe and get the future LG now.

2. Kirk Cousins. QB. The new Franchise QB. Pioli is seriously considering getting a new franchise QB. Stanzi is a pipe dream of the fans.

3. George Iloka. DB. Great safety prospect. Can be the 3rd safety on nickel plays and can challenge Lewis.

4. Josh Chapman. NT. Will split time with Powe at NT. Good competition

4. Andrew Datko. OT. Good depth. Injury causes him to fall but is a good OT prospect.

5. Terrence Ganaway. RB. Big bruiser style back. Good player to draft in case Hillis isn’t re-signed in the future or bombs
this year

1. Fletcher Cox, DE/DT, Miss St
2. Dont’a Hightower, SILB, Alabama
3. Brandon Washington, G, Miami
4. Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
5. Janzen Jackson, S, McNeese St
6. Andrew Datko, OT, Florida St
7. Sean Cattouse, S, Cal

1 DeCastro G
2 Hightower SILB or DE Stills… one of them will be available
3 Chapman NT or LMJ HB(If FO is comfortable with a Powe/Gordon rotation at NT)
4 Janzen Jackson FS
5 TY Hilton Wr
6 Mike Daniels DT or Branden Bolden
7 Chad Diehl FB
7 Yoshi Hardrick OT/OG

1. DeCastro. I’ve gone back & forth between him & Kuechly, but the thought of him blasting holes for Jamaal & Peyton is too intriguing to ignore.
2. Don’te Hightower. ILBs tend to fall, so he could easily fall to us in the 2nd. I like Kuechly more, but Hightower is a pretty good consolation prize for going with DeCastro.
3. Brandon Weeden. I do think he’ll fall to the 3rd. Nobody is going to take a 29 year old QB with injury concerns with a pick in the 1st or 2nd. I think he’s a great prospect though…I know the Trent Green comparisons get old, but that’s exactly what I think this guy is…good arm, great ball placement & makes good decisions. He’ll be significantly better than any other QB on the roster by ‘13.
4. Derek Wolfe. Very productive DT at Cincinnati. Pretty much the prototypical 5-tech DE in the 3-4.
5. Aaron Henry. FS from Wisconsin. Smart, versatile, productive, under-the-radar player…a typical Pioli mid-round pick. Ran a 4.53 40, so he’s got adequate speed to play FS & challenge Lewis for playing time.
6. Marvin McNutt. Nothing spectacular about the guy, but he has good size & has always been a very productive WR in college.
7. Chad Diehl. I’ll jump aboard this ship.

1 Hightower, SILB: I’m not a huge fan of the SILB early, but Hightower is the prototype for what Romeo does on defense, and he can also get to the QB, which would be a nice bonus
2 Konz C/G: will be a fantastic C or G in the NFL, great in space and pulling
3 Ta’amu, NT showing in rd 3 on CBS now… would be a nice value here
4 Taylor, SS: Fits the mold… LSU guy, #3 S is a HUGE need
5 Wylie, WR: Slot WR, fills another need with speed
6 Datko, OT: Even if he has to sit the first 6 weeks to get healthy, he’s a good value to develop
7 Hanna, TE: Getting a visit now, very athletic prospect
7 Diehl, FB: unless they pick up one in FA, I think FB is a need

Chiefs trade #11 to Cincy for #21 and #53:

1 (21). Dont’a Hightower – ILB – Alabama: Instantly upgrades our LB corps and run defense to Top 10. I don’t see him getting past Pittsburgh if we don’t pull the trigger.

2 (44). Kevin Zeitler – OG – Wisconsin: Not much of a downgrade in talent from DeCastro. Solidifies interior line for the next few years. Baltimore will draft Cordy Glenn because he has the ability to play OG and OT which is a trait the Ravens like.

2 (53). Antonio Allen – S – South Carolina: Might be a little early for a guy who won’t start right away, but he gives us options in the secondary as well as solid depth.

3 (74). Ladarius Greene – TE – LA Lafayette: Matchup nightmare, especially in the redzone. Boss isn’t a longterm acquisition, and we have to be aware of Moeaki’s injury concerns.

4 (107). Hebron Fangupo – NT – BYU: Solid contributor to a top run defense at BYU and USC before that. High character guy as well. Can push Powe to improve (or push him off the roster).

5 (146). Andrew Datko – OT – Florida State: A couple months ago, this would be impossible to pull off, but Datko is slipping because of injury concerns from last year. It’s a bit of a gamble, but if we lose it’s just a 5th rd pick, and if we win it’s a potential top tier LT, or a solid Swing Tackle.

6 (182). Brandon Bolden – RB – Ole Miss: Immediately fills the role held by Jackie Battle, and potentially replaces Peyton Hillis when he moves on. Solid between the tackles runner with big play ability. Also solid as a receiver and improving as a blocker.

7 (218). Antoine McClain – OG – Clemson: Could be the steal of the draft. Poor technique, but physically dominant. Could be a solid addition for “jumbo” packages, and if his technique improves, could even become a quality starter in a few years.

7 (238). Robert Blanton – CB – Notre Dame: A solid athlete with technique issues. Solid contributor for most of his career at Notre Dame. Good tackler and ideal size. A project for Coach Thomas.

1) Dontari Poe / 5DE,NT / Memphis
2) Kevin Zeitler / G / Wisconsin
3) Derek Wolfe / 5DE,DT / Cincinatti
4) Cyrus Gray / RB / Texas A&M
5) Eddie Whitley / S / Virginia Tech
6) T.J Grahm / WR,KR / N.C St
7) Donald Stephenson / OT / Oklahoma
7) T-Bob Hebert / C / LSU

1) OG DeCastro (Stan)
2) DE Still (PU) or ILB Hightower (Alab) or DE Thompson (Clem)
3) RB Turbin (Ut St) or RB Pierce (Temp) or CB Flemming (OU) or DE Ta’amu (Wash)
4) S Taylor (LSU) or DE Derek Wolfe (Cin) or WR Greg Childs (Ark)
5) DT Fangupo (BYU) or ILB Jerry Franklin (Ark)
6) CB Cody Sensabaugh (Clem) or RB Bolden (Ms) or QB BJ Coleman (Chat)
7) S Sean Richardson (Vandy)
7) DT Meatoga Haw) or CB/S Blanton (ND)

1(11) David DeCastro, G, Stanford – I don’t think I really need to explain this one, but DeCastro looks like an elite guard to me, and elite guards are getting paid big money these days.
2(11) Dont’a Hightower, ILB, Alabama – He’s a starting-caliber SILB right now with some upside. If he’s still available, snag him and don’t look back.
3(11) Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama – Chapman is a cog that made the machine work at Alabama, and is NFL-ready as a lane-clogging NT.
4(11) Derek Wolfe, DE, Cincinnati – Wolfe is the kind of guy you want on your team – big, physical, high-motor, and came from a tough background but has stayed out of trouble and used that as fuel. He also put up excellent numbers (70 tackles, 21.5 TFL, 9.5 sacks in 2011), and could see a lot of the field immediately, with a shot at becoming a starter.
5(11) Dan Herron, RB, Ohio State – Herron is a physical runner with the ability to run inside or out, catches the ball well, and pass blocks well. He’s not outstanding in any area, but is good at many and would make for good depth.
6(11) Tom Compton, T, South Dakota – Compton is intelligent, a 2-time team captain, possesses good size (6’5", 314, 34" arms), was dominant in college, and plays with a mean streak. He also had a very good combine, finishing in the top 6-8 linemen in several categories.
7(11) Winston Guy, S, Kentucky –Guy was a 2nd team All-SEC hybrid safety/linebacker at Kentucky and put up some strong numbers (120 tackles, 14 TFL, 2 INT, 4 PD). He’s got the size (6’1", 218) to play that same sort of position in the pros, as well as provide depth and special teams play. He is a little slower than you’d like (4.65 40), but that’s one reason he’s going late.
7(31) Neiko Thorpe, S, Auburn – A productive SEC free safety, Thorpe is a former cornerback who possesses good height (6’2"), speed (4.40 40), leaping ability (38"), and productivity (102 tackles, 3 INT, 9 PD in 2011).

1) David DeCastro G Stanford-Best Guard prospect since Steve Hutchinson, this no-brainer solidifies our line as one of the best.

2) Devon Still DE Penn State-Great defensive end prospect gives us a rotational player this year and a potential replacement for Dorsey in the future.

3) Josh Chapman NT Alabama-A solid run defender in the middle of one of the toughest defenses in the NFL helps give us rotational depth at Nose Tackle.

4) Brandon Taylor FS LSU-Good productive player in a top SEC defense gives us another productive defensive back for all of those sub-packages.

5) Vontaze Burfict SILB Arizona State-A risk here if he shows improvement he could be an impressive SILB, if not just cut him, not a big risk.

6) Nicolas Jean-Baptiste NT Baylor - Double dip at nose here in the draft see which two out of Powe, Chapman, and Jean-Baptiste show the most production and take those two into the season and leave one on the practice squad.

7) Chad Diehl FB Clemson-The guy is a mauler put him in the backfield with Hillis and Charles behind that line, its a scary thought.

1. David DeCastro G Stanford
2. Harrison Smith FS Notre Dame
3. Alameda Ta’amu/Josh Chapman NT Washington/Alabama
4. TY Hilton WR Florida International
5. Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas
6. Matt Reynolds OT BYU
7a. Julian Miller DE West Virginia
7b.Chad Diehl FB Clemson (You got me on the bandwagon…)

1.Michael Brockers
I’m okay with DeCastro here, I just think that Pioli will take a OG/OT later in the draft to potentially start this year and take over for Albert next year if needs be. Can test him out at NT and play him as insurance in case Dorsey leaves. If anything Gordon/Powe and a vet could be enough to hold up the NT position for a year

2. Alshon Jeffery
Round 1 talent that is slipping on boards. If Bowe leaves next season we have a solid backup plan, Cassel can just throw air balls to Jeffery and Baldwin all day.

3. Amini Silatolu
A solid guard should we feel Lilja isn’t worth starting, a solid OT in a year if we feel Albert isn’t worth paying.

4. Brandon Taylor, S
Depth where we badly need it. Taylor has upside as a starter, but will come in handy in sub packages as a rookie.

5. Vontaze Burfict, ILB
I’m sticking to this pick but the round is getting later and later. Like I said in my last mock, at best we complete the best LB core in the NFL, at worst we have a hard hitting special teamer.

6. Chris Rainey, ST
Comes in and takes Terrance Coppers spot. I think Rainey is going to be the best special teamer the league has ever seen.

7. Adam Gettis, G
Dude can be the next Casey Weigmann. He’s small, but he is so technically sound we have to at least take a look. Gettis could luck up that swing interior lineman role going forward

Direckshun
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
The Clemson fullback those folks are slobbering over:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4khVcKAIwlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
04-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Ehhh for a 7th who cares?

Dave Lane
04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Does put alot of people on their keisters though. His balance afterward sucks.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
6'2 260

wow, he's bigger than he looks on tape

Frosty
04-13-2012, 10:02 AM
NE trade 27 and 31 for 11. They move up for Quinton Coples or Melvin Ingram. They need a Pass rusher bad.

Trade Cassel for a 4th round pick.

1. (27) Dont’a Hightower. ILB. Hightower falls past Pittsburgh. We can’t expect him to fall much further.

1. (31) Kevin Zeitler. OG Play it safe and get the future LG now.

2. Kirk Cousins. QB. The new Franchise QB. Pioli is seriously considering getting a new franchise QB. Stanzi is a pipe dream of the fans.

3. George Iloka. DB. Great safety prospect. Can be the 3rd safety on nickel plays and can challenge Lewis.

4. Josh Chapman. NT. Will split time with Powe at NT. Good competition

4. Andrew Datko. OT. Good depth. Injury causes him to fall but is a good OT prospect.

5. Terrence Ganaway. RB. Big bruiser style back. Good player to draft in case Hillis isn’t re-signed in the future or bombs
this year

I like this one, though I would rather have Molk over Datko if he was still there.

Direckshun
04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
The Pats are absolutely hurting at passrusher.

Both their leading sack artists are gone, assuming Andre Carter doesn't come back.

Frosty
04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
The Pats are absolutely hurting at passrusher.

Both their leading sack artists are gone, assuming Andre Carter doesn't come back.

How does the trade mentioned above (27 and 31 for 11) stack up for trade value?

Nevermind. Should have read more threads first. :doh!:

buddha
04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I love the comments about the Chiefs being one player away from:

1. best o-line in nfl
2. best lb corps in the nfl

Neither is true. I'll use SF as a comparison team, let alone the entire league. The 49ers o-line is much better than KC's right now. They drafted smartly, they weren't scared to get elite level offensive linemen, and then use free agency around them. The 49ers LB corps is light years better than KC's current version. Derrick Johnson might crack their starting threesome, but that's questionable.

We have work to do to compare to the best in the NFL in either of these two areas. We need to have a GREAT draft to make it happen, and continue to be smart in free agency, which I think Pioli has been.

beach tribe
04-14-2012, 12:00 AM

1. best o-line in nfl

Neither is true. I'll use SF as a comparison team, let alone the entire league. The 49ers o-line is much better than KC's right now. They drafted smartly, they weren't scared to get elite level offensive linemen, and then use free agency around them. The 49ers LB corps is light years better than KC's current version. Derrick Johnson might crack their starting threesome, but that's questionable.

We have work to do to compare to the best in the NFL in either of these two areas. We need to have a GREAT draft to make it happen, and continue to be smart in free agency, which I think Pioli has been.
I really don't think we're as a far away in those areas as you do.

beach tribe
04-14-2012, 12:07 AM
This guy and Hillis would most likely end our short yardage frustrations.

Saccopoo
04-14-2012, 11:35 PM
I really don't think we're as a far away in those areas as you do.

Yeah...we are.

Offensive line:

We have no center on roster. Lilja is listed as the only center. That means we are drafting a rookie or moving either Asamoah or Hudson - who were both All-American's as guards. (Yeah, that's a great idea - let's fuck up a guy who was the best at his position by moving him to another position because we were fucking stupid by not drafting a quality center over the past five years or so.)

Someone is going to get training on the job this next season whether we reassign one of our former AA guards or draft a rookie center. (Later being the best for the team IMO.)

Albert is not dominant. Nowhere close. He is okay in run blocking, but lacks the foot skills to be an effective edge blocker in the pass game. He's a lunger and a puncher. He is on the ground a lot because of it, especially in the zone system.

Linebacker:

Hali is fierce. Pass rushing beast. Does struggle against the run a bit, but that's because he's being turned loose on the QB 99% of the time.

Houston showed up for the last two games. We'll see. Depth beyond that on the edge is non-existant.

Johnson had a great season last year. The previous five seasons he was an absolute bag of shit. Capable of being the best at his position in the NFL. Also capable of being a unmotivated bag of shit. The five years of bag of shit outweighs the one year of Pro Bowl. (And he was completely out of shape to start the season last year.)

Belcher is a stud. If you don't think so, you don't watch the games with a critical eye. He's always around the ball, blows up blockers, and is a fundamentally sound tackler. He wraps people up better than anyone else on the defensive side of the ball. And he's only getting better. In two years, people will be talking about him being one of the best Mike backers in the game.

However, there is absolutely no depth in the LB corps.

BossChief
04-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Albert is on the ground a lot because the zone blocking utilizes a lot of cut blocks.

Saccopoo
04-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Albert is on the ground a lot because the zone blocking utilizes a lot of cut blocks.

Albert is on the ground a lot because he lunges, not because he's going after the lower legs.

In fact, go watch the games. He's more often on the ground trying to get into the second level. He simply doesn't have the foot speed/work to lock onto linebackers/defensive backs and tries to hit them with his hands. (He does have long arms which he tries to use versus getting into position with his body/legs/feet, and that is why he is a lunger/puncher versus a solid position player. Go watch Joe Thomas versus Albert. Seriously. You'll see why Albert is middle of the pack where Thomas is elite.)

It's also why he struggles with good pass rushers. He can't get his feet out and moving out of the three point stance fast enough. At this point, it's okay/better, but it's never going to be top notch.

saphojunkie
04-16-2012, 03:50 PM
not one person has us taking Kuechly? Then I'm sold. That's what we're doing.

saphojunkie
04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah...we are.

Offensive line:

We have no center on roster. Lilja is listed as the only center. That means we are drafting a rookie or moving either Asamoah or Hudson - who were both All-American's as guards. (Yeah, that's a great idea - let's **** up a guy who was the best at his position by moving him to another position because we were ****ing stupid by not drafting a quality center over the past five years or so.)

Someone is going to get training on the job this next season whether we reassign one of our former AA guards or draft a rookie center. (Later being the best for the team IMO.)

Albert is not dominant. Nowhere close. He is okay in run blocking, but lacks the foot skills to be an effective edge blocker in the pass game. He's a lunger and a puncher. He is on the ground a lot because of it, especially in the zone system.

Linebacker:

Hali is fierce. Pass rushing beast. Does struggle against the run a bit, but that's because he's being turned loose on the QB 99% of the time.

Houston showed up for the last two games. We'll see. Depth beyond that on the edge is non-existant.

Johnson had a great season last year. The previous five seasons he was an absolute bag of shit. Capable of being the best at his position in the NFL. Also capable of being a unmotivated bag of shit. The five years of bag of shit outweighs the one year of Pro Bowl. (And he was completely out of shape to start the season last year.)

Belcher is a stud. If you don't think so, you don't watch the games with a critical eye. He's always around the ball, blows up blockers, and is a fundamentally sound tackler. He wraps people up better than anyone else on the defensive side of the ball. And he's only getting better. In two years, people will be talking about him being one of the best Mike backers in the game.

However, there is absolutely no depth in the LB corps.

:LOL:

saphojunkie
04-16-2012, 03:55 PM

1. best o-line in nfl

SF is targeting another interior lineman in the first round, you realize.

If the Chiefs draft DeCastro, they are right up there with SF on the OL. Same with Kuechly at linebacker.

Sorter
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM

If the Chiefs draft DeCastro, they are right up there with SF on the OL. Same with Kuechly at linebacker.

Kuechly doesn't compare to Bowman. Not right away anyways. Besides, their styles of play are not even similar. Bowman is what people hope that Belcher can one day become.

buddha
04-17-2012, 10:54 PM

No they aren't. Line both sets of units up and you'll see how wrong you are. SF has a superior OL and LB corps. Adding a draft pick to KC's situation would probably help, but Hightower would help our mix much more than soft as silk Kuechly.

saphojunkie
04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
No they aren't. Line both sets of units up and you'll see how wrong you are. SF has a superior OL and LB corps. Adding a draft pick to KC's situation would probably help, but Hightower would help our mix much more than soft as silk Kuechly.

Now you're just being ridiculous.

I get it - Dont'a Hightower is bigger by 20 pounds. Yippee yeehaw hooray. Kuechly is faster, quicker, and more durable. Hightower has had injuries his entire career...Kuechly? ZERO. ZERO.

Kuechly was the second fastest and quickest ILB at the combine by two hundredths of a second in almost every category. His quickness (3-cone, 20 yard shuttle) is most important, because it is the short burst that converts his mass into energy.

In fact, the evidence says that Kuechly hitting Hightower is advantage: Kuechly.

saphojunkie
04-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Okay, let's do it...

OLB - Ahmad Brooks vs Justin Houston

Brooks had 50 tackles and a career high 7 sacks last year in 16 starts (5th year in league). VS. Justin Houston's 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks in 10 starts. Guess what? More tackles, less starts. Higher sack rate.
winner: Houston

ILB - Navarro Bowman vs. Luke Kuechly

Well, let's see. Bowman is shorter (by three inches), slower (4.68 40 time vs. Kuechly's 4.58, same 3 cone drill, and slower in 20 yard shuttle).

Bowman put up 1 fewer reps in the bench. He had a lower vertical by nine inches (lowest at his combine), and a shorter broad jump.

Bowman was less productive in college, with more off-field issues, and more injuries. Throw in that he's less athletic, and I'm sorry, I'll give advantage to Kuechly until proven otherwise.

winner: Kuechly

ILB - Patrick Willis vs. Derrick Johnson.

No question -- Willis. He's a machine. He's the T1000. He's insane. DJ is awesome, but he's not Willis.

Winner: Willis

OLB - Aldon Smith vs. Tamba Hali

I'd call this a push. Smith is younger, Hali has shown to consistently produce.

Winner: push

Mecca
04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't know if there's a player with more character issues than Janzen Jackson who would really think the Chiefs would draft him?

And I've also seen some scouts just kill Devon Still, call him soft, flabby not interested just all sorts of stuff that'd make you not want him.

milkman
04-21-2012, 07:12 PM

I get it - Dont'a Hightower is bigger by 20 pounds. Yippee yeehaw hooray. Kuechly is faster, quicker, and more durable. Hightower has had injuries his entire career...Kuechly? ZERO. ZERO.

Kuechly was the second fastest and quickest ILB at the combine by two hundredths of a second in almost every category. His quickness (3-cone, 20 yard shuttle) is most important, because it is the short burst that converts his mass into energy.

In fact, the evidence says that Kuechly hitting Hightower is advantage: Kuechly.

Throwing your body into blockers and making hits with abandonment is more mental than physical.

Kuechly has the size and athleticism, but Belcher and Hightower have that mindset.

Kuechly hasn't shown, in any way, that he has the mental makeup to be that guy.

buddha
04-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Okay, let's do it...

OLB - Ahmad Brooks vs Justin Houston

Brooks had 50 tackles and a career high 7 sacks last year in 16 starts (5th year in league). VS. Justin Houston's 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks in 10 starts. Guess what? More tackles, less starts. Higher sack rate.
winner: Houston

ILB - Navarro Bowman vs. Luke Kuechly

Well, let's see. Bowman is shorter (by three inches), slower (4.68 40 time vs. Kuechly's 4.58, same 3 cone drill, and slower in 20 yard shuttle).

Bowman put up 1 fewer reps in the bench. He had a lower vertical by nine inches (lowest at his combine), and a shorter broad jump.

Bowman was less productive in college, with more off-field issues, and more injuries. Throw in that he's less athletic, and I'm sorry, I'll give advantage to Kuechly until proven otherwise.

winner: Kuechly

ILB - Patrick Willis vs. Derrick Johnson.

No question -- Willis. He's a machine. He's the T1000. He's insane. DJ is awesome, but he's not Willis.

Winner: Willis

OLB - Aldon Smith vs. Tamba Hali

I'd call this a push. Smith is younger, Hali has shown to consistently produce.

Winner: push

Homer picks dude. I like Houston in the match up with Brooks. You are on serious drugs if you would take a rookie who can't hit anything from Boston College over a Pro Bowl calibre LB in Bowman. You lost any credibility with that one. Willis is one of the top three ILB in the league...obvious choice. Hali is good, Smith has shown greatness. It's too early to tell if he can keep it up or not, but Aldon Smith was a freaking creature in his rookie season.

San Francisco has a better LBer corps over all, and I don't think it's even close. Care to compare DL or OL while we're at it?

I'm a Chiefs fan, but I admire what SF has done in a short amount of time through the draft and through FA.

buddha
04-21-2012, 10:34 PM

Hightower has had injuries. However, you simply haven't watched the two of them play if you think that Kuechly hits better than Hightower. You won't find one "expert" out there who would claim that, even the Kuechly guys. Universally, he is considered to have excellent movement and range (I agree), but he catches tackles...he doesn't lay ANYBODY out. I'm not a fan of his at all. All of the great times from the combine mean nothing in this case to me (my opinion). I want an intimidator at the Mike. Kuechly is anything but...

Saccopoo
04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Hightower has had injuries. However, you simply haven't watched the two of them play if you think that Kuechly hits better than Hightower. You won't find one "expert" out there who would claim that, even the Kuechly guys. Universally, he is considered to have excellent movement and range (I agree), but he catches tackles...he doesn't lay ANYBODY out. I'm not a fan of his at all. All of the great times from the combine mean nothing in this case to me (my opinion). I want an intimidator at the Mike. Kuechly is anything but...

I think he's prototype for the MLB in a 43, but let's get serious - Kuechly is a stud. He's one of, if not the, most instinctive defensive players I've ever seen.

He had absolutely no help this year and was forced to chase plays. However, the guy can hit. He can also cover. And he is excellent in shedding blocks.

Floor: Derrick Johnson

Ceiling: Combination of Brian Urlacher and London Fletcher.

You take that all day long.

Personally, I think he's the guy that is sitting there at #11 that is the trade bait for the Chiefs. He won't get past Seattle at #12, and any team wanting/needing a new/better MLB that runs a 43 is going to have to get in front of them. Kuechly is far and away the best linebacker in this draft. It's not even close. Hightower is a nice player, but he's going to have to be a two down guy in a 34 at the next level. Kuechly is a three down guy in any system.