PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone have experience getting a 1-800 number? What is my best play...

|Zach|
04-20-2012, 12:12 AM
So, I have a strange request for information. I can't really say what this would be for exactly because it is going to be surprise but I would need a toll free 1-800 number that would simply go to a voicemail recording that I can set. I would also like to somehow...(maybe linking up with google voice?) be able to download or record any of the messages left.

Is this doable?

There seem to be a million services to acquire a number some of them look legit and some look shady. Seems like you pay upfront for a number which isnt that much and buy a pack of mins for people to use when they call in.

Any good ideas planet brethren?

Phobia
04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I would suggest that the money spent on a toll-free number for which you intend to roll to voice-mail would be better spent marketing more creatively. I expect that for every 20 people you would somehow entice to dial your 800 # that <.5 of them will actually wait for a recording to finish and leave a voicemail. There are far more efficient ways of interacting with your clients.

|Zach|
04-20-2012, 12:19 AM
I would suggest that the money spent on a toll-free number for which you intend to roll to voice-mail would be better spent marketing more creatively. I expect that for every 20 people you would somehow entice to dial your 800 # that <.5 of them will actually wait for a recording to finish and leave a voicemail. There are far more efficient ways of interacting with your clients.

Agree with your points above but it isn't for business use.

whoman69
04-20-2012, 03:08 PM
The market for toll free numbers is glutted, so even with the new codes, good luck trying to get a specific number. I would say go with the more well known sources. Trying to save money by skrimping, you get what you pay for.

|Zach|
04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
The market for toll free numbers is glutted, so even with the new codes, good luck trying to get a specific number. I would say go with the more well known sources. Trying to save money by skrimping, you get what you pay for.

That is true. I don't even really need a specific number. I think for what I need my best bet is finding one that is just a pass through number that connects to a set up google voice account.

crispystl
04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
If you're just looking for a recorded response wouldn't it be better to set up a phone number on google voice that people can text to and then you can have the texts forwarded to your own cell phone? This would also be much more convenient than asking them to and leave a message on the voice mail.

|Zach|
04-20-2012, 10:38 PM
If you're just looking for a recorded response wouldn't it be better to set up a phone number on google voice that people can text to and then you can have the texts forwarded to your own cell phone? This would also be much more convenient than asking them to and leave a message on the voice mail.

Its a....number that will be in a very public place...that a ton of people will see...even nationally that will be put out in a way that will illicit responses.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-22-2012, 07:35 AM
So you're gonna post a number asking for people to share their secrets?

arrowheadnation
04-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Working for a cable company, I can tell you this. You can purchase a toll free number and have it pointed to your basic monthly telephone line. You can then use the online tools that most carriers have right now to log in listen to the voicemails on the internet as well as have them emailed to yourself. Again, this is my experience with cable companies, I'm sure other providers probably have something similar.