PDA

View Full Version : Money Is QuickBooks still the way to go?

NewChief
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
My wife is starting a small retail/invite business with a friend. Her friend has run a shop before and is handling day-to-day operation while my wife is doing most of the creative/design work. Anyway, her partner is familiar with QuickBooks from her previous business she ran pre-Katrina in New Orleans, but she said that she's been hearing bad reviews lately and that there are other programs we should investigate.

We run both Mac and Windows systems, but most of the business will be done on Macs.

So any suggestions from the Planet?

whoaskew
04-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Stay away from the Quickbooks online since functionality is limited (plus I hate the idea of paying for recurring billing).

Go to Ebay and buy a 2 or 3 year old version of Quickbooks Pro.

She is already experienced with it, so you won't have to learn a new program for a while. With a new business, there are much more important things you should be focusing your time on besides learning how to use new bookkeeping software.

I have several businesses and Quickbooks Pro 2010 serves me well.

If you intend to download banking transactions using online banking, be aware that Quickbooks only allows their software to support downloading online banking transactions for 3 years.

IOW, once QB 2013 edition comes out, 2010 and older versions of QB will not allow you to connect to online banking to download transactions.

evolve27
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
My wife is taking a class on quickbooks I'll have to ask her. For the most part it's pretty complicated but she wants to learn the whole payroll thing for a potential business

Simply Red
04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
it's fine bro, we use accountants version, it's fine for now.