PDA

View Full Version : Computers Happy Administrative Professionals Day

luv
04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Three attorneys in our office, one paralegal, and one legal assistant (me). The paralegal and I wonder if any of the attorneys will remember....and it's even on the calendar.

Anyway, if you're someone who gets things done around the office, have a great day!

Rain Man
04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
What's the difference between a paralegal and a legal assistant?

And by the way, that's not the start of a joke. That's a real question.

qabbaan
04-25-2012, 10:21 AM

It's the same as the difference between an administrative professional and a secretary ;)

luv
04-25-2012, 10:22 AM

IMO, it's got more to do with experience. I'm just getting started, so I don't have the experience or knowledge under my belt yet. The terms are basically interchangeable. I guess I would be closer to a legal secretary in my current position.

luv
04-25-2012, 10:23 AM
It's the same as the difference between an administrative professional and a secretary ;)

Yep. Happy Secretary's Day!

Rain Man
04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
IMO, it's got more to do with experience. I'm just getting started, so I don't have the experience or knowledge under my belt yet. The terms are basically interchangeable. I guess I would be closer to a legal secretary in my current position.

Ah, okay. Just curious.

Simply Red
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Wear a dress, a skirt or something.

MIAdragon
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Three attorneys in our office, one paralegal, and one legal assistant (me). The paralegal and I wonder if any of the attorneys will remember....and it's even on the calendar.

Anyway, if you're someone who gets things done around the office, have a great day!

Maybe you should do what mine is doing and remind anyone that walks by her. :mad:

luv
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
The paralegal just went into her boss's office and said, "By the way, you guys got us each $25 gift certificates to Acacia (day spa next door) for Secretary's Day."

LMAO

Simply Red
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Maybe you should do what mine is doing and remind anyone that walks by her. :mad:

you should threaten to fire her.

luv
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM

LMAO

I didn't say a word.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I read a thing just a few weeks ago that it's now accepted again to use the word secretary. I think this is progress.

Frazod
04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Paralegals typically bill their time at an hourly rate and have annual hourly requirements, same as attorneys, and typically do mid-level work junior attorneys haven't mastered and senior attorneys charge too much for. You get an actual office, although it's a cramped interior office, and a secretary, although she's assigned to several other people and generally too busy/lazy to do your work, so you get stuck doing it yourself. You have to attend department meetings, which suck, although they're generally lunch meetings so you do get some free food.

jAZ
04-25-2012, 10:38 AM

This is more what I was thinking...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603164723AAfl017

Paralegals can perform many of the same things as lawyers, but they can not practice law, such as giving legal advice, or presenting cases before a court of law. They assist lawyers by dong the "grunt work" for a matter, such as filings, research, tracking status of matters, and document production. To become a paralegal, you are required to complete a program in paralegal studies. There are proficiency tests that enable one to use certain designations to show that they have met the requirements of certain organizations.

Legal secretaries, on the other hand, (or legal assistants/legal administrative assistants) perform clerical/administrative tasks, such as arranging conference calls, travel coordination, composing/transcribing letters, creating presentations and worksheets, purchase supplies and general office duties. The legal administrative assistant may also handle billing, payroll, human resource or other issues, depending on the size and type of company. Although no degree or certification is needed, proficiency in computer software applications, such as word processing, database management, spreadsheet and presentation creation is required.

luv
04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
This is more what I was thinking...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603164723AAfl017

Paralegals can perform many of the same things as lawyers, but they can not practice law, such as giving legal advice, or presenting cases before a court of law. They assist lawyers by dong the "grunt work" for a matter, such as filings, research, tracking status of matters, and document production. To become a paralegal, you are required to complete a program in paralegal studies. There are proficiency tests that enable one to use certain designations to show that they have met the requirements of certain organizations.

Legal secretaries, on the other hand, (or legal assistants/legal administrative assistants) perform clerical/administrative tasks, such as arranging conference calls, travel coordination, composing/transcribing letters, creating presentations and worksheets, purchase supplies and general office duties. The legal administrative assistant may also handle billing, payroll, human resource or other issues, depending on the size and type of company. Although no degree or certification is needed, proficiency in computer software applications, such as word processing, database management, spreadsheet and presentation creation is required.

Well, I do draft contracts and file items with probate court. We don't do litigation here, mostly contract/transaction and estate planning, so not a lot of research. The paralegal's time does get billed, whereas my attorney bills everything himself. The other attorney (and partner) in the office only does mediations, so my tasks for him include scheduling, correspondence, and billing. Like I said, I'm probably considered more of a legal secretary.

tooge
04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
so am I supposed to be buying all the gals in the office lunch today?

Rooster
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Yes, but it's the only day of the year you can legally can them 'sugar tits'.

tooge
04-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, but it's the only day of the year you can legally can them 'sugar tits'.

freudian slip?

Marco Polo
04-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I already had both assistants stand up during a staff meeting while we all clapped for them. We also gave them signed cards, candy, and will be taking them out to lunch. Effective assistants makes your life better Happy assistants = less stress for you

Fairplay
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
pitiful excuse for a thread, just pitiful.

Simply Red
04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
PAY YOUR HELP PEOPLE!!!

luv
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Yes. :p

pr_capone
04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I never understood the point of all these bullshit "holidays". Bosses day, secretary day, teachers day, X appreciation day.

Fuck... just be glad you get a paycheck (especially in this economy) and doubly so if your boss isn't a dick.

Thig Lyfe
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM

I think paralegals are only disabled from the waist down.

Fire Me Boy!
04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I never understood the point of all these bullshit "holidays". Bosses day, secretary day, teachers day, X appreciation day.

****... just be glad you get a paycheck (especially in this economy) and doubly so if your boss isn't a dick.

What if you gave your boss a kidney?

Rooster
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I think paralegals are only disabled from the waist down.

:LOL: Ok that was pretty good.

pr_capone
04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
What if you gave your boss a kidney?

that just means that they can't fire you for a pre-determined amount of time... amirite?