PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs know they’re better — but only on paper

Douche Baggins
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/25/3576471/chiefs-know-theyre-better-but.html

The Chiefs have generally picked up praise for the offseason moves they made to repair what last season was one of the NFL’s worst offenses. They attacked their serious needs at right tackle and running back and also added some much-needed depth at tight end and quarterback.

Even if they won the free-agency portion of the offseason with regard to offensive acquisitions, the Chiefs are well aware that, so far, this is a gain on paper only.

“You look from year-to-year and the teams that have great offseason grades, that doesn’t always translate into good seasons,” general manager Scott Pioli said.

So if there’s more work to do from an offensive personnel standpoint, it’s only because the Chiefs had so far to come. They scored more than 13 points just once in their final nine games and finished next to last in the NFL in scoring.

The Chiefs still came within a missed field goal in a late-season game against Oakland of making the playoffs. Imagine what they could have accomplished with even just an average offense.

That’s something for the Chiefs to ponder as they enter the NFL Draft, which begins with the first round tonight. It’s their last chance to decide whether they’ve done enough to fortify a weakness.

They still could use a fast wide receiver and backups at most of the offensive-line positions.

“You’re going to have to win some games 35-28,” said Eric Winston, the team’s new right tackle after being cut by Houston. “You have to have a good mix. You can’t be too one-sided. What I saw out of this team was a great defense with a lot of injured guys on offense, and they struggled at times. I’m looking forward to just being that one-eleventh of the offense to get that going and to be on par with the defense.”

The offense lost a lot of its capability in the first two weeks last year when tight end Tony Moeaki and running back Jamaal Charles were felled by season-ending knee injuries. The Chiefs didn’t have adequate replacements in either case, and that became evident quickly.

The Chiefs were further crippled when quarterback Matt Cassel broke his hand, ending his season midway through the fall.

Just getting Moeaki, Charles and Cassel back should make a difference. But the Chiefs went beyond by signing Winston, running back Peyton Hillis, tight end Kevin Boss and quarterback Brady Quinn.

“I’m excited about all of the additions that we’ve made this offseason,” Cassel said. “Eric Winston is a guy that’s been a proven right tackle in this league for a long period of time. You’ve got Peyton Hillis and that’s going to give us more depth at the running back position, and (Kevin) Boss is coming in at the tight end position as well.

“It’ll be fun. I’ve gotten a chance to meet these guys over the last few days, and they’re hard workers and you can tell that they’re eager to get started themselves.”

Winston, a starter the past six years with the Texans, should be an improvement over Barry Richardson at right tackle. The power of the 250-pound Hillis should be a nice complement to the speed of Charles. Boss gives the Chiefs another receiving threat at tight end, and Quinn, a former first-round draft pick, is an experienced backup at quarterback, something the Chiefs haven’t had in recent years.

Still, much depends on improvement from Cassel, who has delivered uneven seasons in his three years with the Chiefs. The Chiefs have pointed to his Pro Bowl season from 2010 as the goal for Cassel this fall; he threw 27 touchdown passes and just seven interceptions that season.

“That consistency, I think that’s the biggest thing with Matt,” coach Romeo Crennel said. “I think he’s excited about this year, about having Brian Daboll as our offensive coordinator, because he knows Brian and he knows the system Brian brings.

“If he can develop that consistency like we had part of the time in 2010, where we weren’t turning the ball over, we were moving the ball offensively and we were scoring some points, if we can get back to that, that’s what I’m looking for from him.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/25/3576471/chiefs-know-theyre-better-but.html#storylink=cpy

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2012, 01:11 AM
lol, Matt's top flight qb play is dont fuck it up and turn the ball over. thats what they want out of a qb :( i want a qb, that says fuck that, imma make plays.

scott free
04-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Damned if Winston doesnt come on strong in his interviews, if plays as good as he sounds we've got a real winner.

the Talking Can
04-26-2012, 01:39 AM
did the chiefs point to matt's embarrassing playoff performance, by any chance...while they were pointing...

salame
04-26-2012, 05:12 AM
I like how one of the newest players is the team's unofficial spokesperson this off-season

DTLB58
04-26-2012, 06:48 AM
I like how one of the newest players is the team's unofficial spokesperson this off-season

Yep, I think he is a natural leader. If he is as good on the field we have a total package. :thumb:

BoneKrusher
04-26-2012, 06:55 AM
did the chiefs point to matt's embarrassing playoff performance, by any chance...while they were pointing...

this^

it don't matter how much they improved on paper as long as Castle is still under center.

DMAC
04-26-2012, 07:13 AM
this^

it don't matter how much they improved on paper as long as Castle is still under center.

You KNOW he's gonna have a good season. You just know it.

Cave Johnson
04-26-2012, 09:23 AM
You KNOW he's gonna have a good season. You just know it.

It's a even year, right?

salame
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Yep, I think he is a natural leader. If he is as good on the field we have a total package. :thumb:

i was being sarcastic lol