PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Rumors fly that Bowe may sign franchise tender

Mr_Tomahawk
04-26-2012, 05:33 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/rumors-fly-that-bowe-may-sign-franchise-tender/

Rumors fly that Bowe may sign franchise tender

Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes recently signed his franchise tender, once word emerged that the Falcons may be trading for cornerback Asante Samuel. A similar dynamic could be playing out in Kansas City.

A league source tells PFT that there is chatter in league circles that Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe is considering signing his franchise tender due to concerns that the Chiefs will use their first-round pick on a receiver, and then strip the franchise tag from Bowe.

Yes, that would make Bowe an unrestricted free agent. But with the big money for free agents long since dried up, Bowe wouldn’t get a deal remotely close to the one he would have gotten on March 13, the day on which the market opened. At this point, his short-term and long-term interests may be better served by accepting the one-year, $9.5 million offer and trying to get a long-term deal while under contract.

Of course, signing the franchise tender would reduce his leverage, since he would no longer be able to refuse to provide services without financial consequence. Losing the $9.5 million bird in the hand, however, could prove to be an ever larger a financial consequence.

Stripping the tag from Bowe would also hurt the Chiefs; there’s no guarantee a first-round wideout will generate the same kind of production as Bowe — and Bowe would then be able to walk away without compensation.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2012, 05:48 AM
No way in hell the Chiefs draft 1st round wideouts two years in a row.

beach tribe
04-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Is this a joke?

the Talking Can
04-26-2012, 05:52 AM
weain'tdraftingawrinround1

Von Dumbass
04-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Would there be a meltdown if the Chiefs draft Michael Floyd and essentially cut Bowe?

Marcellus
04-26-2012, 06:05 AM
It has always been assumed he was going to sign it, he already said he didn't plan to hold out.

Micjones
04-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Would there be a meltdown if the Chiefs draft Michael Floyd and essentially cut Bowe?

Without question.

DTLB58
04-26-2012, 06:33 AM
IMO this is nothing short of ridiculous.

Bump
04-26-2012, 06:33 AM
WHAT ARE WE SAVING UP FOR!?!

Clark better fucking sign Bowe to the long term damnit

mlyonsd
04-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Good grief our first pick can't get here quick enough so this stupid shit stops.

rageeumr
04-26-2012, 07:08 AM
If the Chiefs tag Bowe and strip it instead of tagging Carr, I'm finding a new team to root for.

That being said, I give this absolutely no chance of actually happening.

notorious
04-26-2012, 07:11 AM
I really don't give a shit anymore.

Strip it, or sign him to a 50 year contract. All of this is moot with our current QB.

chop
04-26-2012, 07:35 AM

There's going to be a meltdown no matter who the Chiefs draft. Some group will be very happy that their guy got picked and the other groups will start many hate threads. That is how it always works.

ILChief
04-26-2012, 07:46 AM
weain'tdraftingawrinround1

I thought the same thing about defensive end

J Diddy
04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
There's going to be a meltdown no matter who the Chiefs draft. Some group will be very happy that their guy got picked and the other groups will start many hate threads. That is how it always works.

This x eleventy billion

J Diddy
04-26-2012, 07:48 AM
I think we're going long snapper in round 1 anyway. If we had a long snapper worth a poo, we'd have won the division last year.

boogblaster
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
fodder .....

mr. tegu
04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Generating clicks is big business.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Dwayne Bowe has no plans to sign his franchise tag today, or anytime soon, contrary to a report.
10:16 AM - 26 Apr 12 via Twitter for Blackberry®

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
i doubt it

but even if the Chiefs do draft a WR and decide to go in another direction, i would think they would trade Bowe and not just cut him.

I would hope anyway ... draft day trade?

mcaj22
04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
i called these types of rumors playing out back in march and got blasted on here for it. people thinking bowe was going to be a team player and sign instantly were/are delusional

it would be different if we had a good QB. but we dont. And thus, he will want to test the market next year.

Dayze
04-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I can't help but laugh if bowe tells pioli to suck it and holds out

Not that it will happen but if it did I'd laugh my balls off

L.A. Chieffan
04-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Lol the insanity in this place tonight will be magnifique

vailpass
04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
...concerns that the Chiefs will use their first-round pick on a receiver, and then strip the franchise tag from Bowe.

Yea right.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
i called these types of rumors playing out back in march and got blasted on here for it. people thinking bowe was going to be a team player and sign instantly were/are delusional

it would be different if we had a good QB. but we dont. And thus, he will want to test the market next year.
unfortunately we will ever know what the reason is for Bowe not having a new contract already. It will be doubled if Bowe gets traded or cut.

I just get the feeling that Bowe thinks he's Megatron and wants to go to a new york type big market and be a star. I get blasted for that too.

htismaqe
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
i doubt it

but even if the Chiefs do draft a WR and decide to go in another direction, i would think they would trade Bowe and not just cut him.

I would hope anyway ... draft day trade?

While I'm not hip on the idea of trading away Bowe, it would definitely make things interesting.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I can't help but laugh if bowe tells pioli to suck it and holds out

Not that it will happen but if it did I'd laugh my balls off
why would you laugh?

You hope that the Chiefs lose players just to fuel your hatred for Pioli?

Detoxing
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Yup.

In the last 2 months i've read:

Kuechly would make me furious!

Poe will be a huge bust!

Tannehill is not worth a 1st rnd pick!

I don't want another 5-Tech!

#11 Is too high for a Guard.....

The only player that board wouldn't bitch about imo would be Barron.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
While I'm not hip on the idea of trading away Bowe, it would definitely make things interesting.
agreed but ... IF .... Bowe does want megatron money or wants to go to a big market, we could trade him for a 1st and then use that 1st to draft his replacement.

we would lose the experience but we might not have much of a choice if Bowe wants to leave.

mcaj22
04-26-2012, 10:55 AM
unfortunately we will ever know what the reason is for Bowe not having a new contract already. It will be doubled if Bowe gets traded or cut.

I just get the feeling that Bowe thinks he's Megatron and wants to go to a new york type big market and be a star. I get blasted for that too.

i agree. he wants a bigger market so his branding has more exposure. he also wants a competent QB that doesnt shit himself

Dayze
04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
why would you laugh?

You hope that the Chiefs lose players just to fuel your hatred for Pioli?

No. Just laughing instead of crying if it were to happen.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 11:05 AM
i agree. he wants a bigger market so his branding has more exposure. he also wants a competent QB that doesnt shit himself
i imagine Bowe blames everyone else for his lack of world domination.

KC is not a big enough market to give him his stardom
Chiefs aren't offering enough money for a top 5 NFL WR
Cassel is the reason why he doesn't catch a touchdown on every play
every time the chiefs call a running play he deprives him of his touchdown on that play.

JMO

-King-
04-26-2012, 11:09 AM

every time the chiefs call a running play he deprives him of his touchdown on that play.

JMO

Why is it that you always go full retard in threads about Bowe?
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Laz is the same one who was irate about the way Bowe posed with his new gloves on at the uniform release party.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Why is it that you always go full retard in threads about Bowe?
Posted via Mobile Device
just because i think Bowe wants to be a big market star doesn't make me a retard.

it just means we don't agree

:shrug:

the Talking Can
04-26-2012, 11:21 AM
that bowe hasn't choked Cassel to death with his bare hands is proof of his maturity...

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 11:23 AM
that bowe hasn't choked Cassel to death with his bare hands is proof of his maturity...
this is a good point

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Laz is the same one who was irate about the way Bowe posed with his new gloves on at the uniform release party.

But baseless speculative conjecture is so much fun.. especially when you can hide behind the "well, it's my opinion" line.

-King-
04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
just because i think Bowe wants to be a big market star doesn't make me a retard.

it just means we don't agree

:shrug:
I doubt it. Dude doesn't even have a twitter. If he wanted to be a big market star, you'd think he'd have one.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I doubt it. Dude doesn't even have a twitter. If he wanted to be a big market star, you'd think he'd have one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why ya gotta go and be rational, brah?

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device
The why hasn't Bowe signed his 9 million dollar tender yet?

Why hasn't he signed a long term contract yet?

You actually think the Chiefs didn't offer him a decent contract when they have given all the other guys they kept around good contracts?

Hell ... they even gave a kicker pretty big money.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM

You actually think the Chiefs didn't offer him a decent contract when they have given all the other guys they kept around good contracts?

Clearly, Bowe not yet signing a franchise tender directly leads to :

LMAO

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Bowe wants Megatron $$ or to play in a big market!

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/hat.bmp

Brock
04-26-2012, 11:47 AM

I think the Chiefs did not offer him a long term contract. I don't think they want to keep him long term, for whatever reason.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I think the Chiefs did not offer him a long term contract. I don't think they want to keep him long term, for whatever reason.
maybe so ...

but there is no more proof of that than there is my gut feeling that Bowe wants out. Could be just classic Chiefs fan paranoia that something bad is always going to happen.

maybe is just contract games and he'll sign soon :shrug:

Carr wanted out

qabbaan
04-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Bowe is getting the Carr treatment. If the team wanted to resign him they would have done so before tagging him.

They will lowball him, then after the season make noise about wanting to keep him - knowing there is now way theyd pay what Bowes skills will command on the open market. And he will sign elsewhere, while we sign someone older and not as good for a moderate discount, just like with Carr.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Bowe is getting the Carr treatment. If the team wanted to resign him they would have done so before tagging him.

They will lowball him, then after the season make noise about wanting to keep him - knowing there is now way theyd pay what Bowes skills will command on the open market. And he will sign elsewhere, while we sign someone older and not as good for a moderate discount, just like with Carr.
Carr wanted out ... period

He said he grew out a Dallas Cowboy fan and had always wanted to be a Cowboy.

The Chiefs didn't 'give him the treatment' ... why would they?

why would they be giving Bowe the treatment now?

Detoxing
04-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Tamba Hali didn't get a contract till TC started.

This is the NFL. This is typically how things work. How many other Franchised players have received a contract already?

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Tamba Hali didn't get a contract till TC started.

This is the NFL. This is typically how things work. How many other Franchised players have received a contract already?
hopefully ... maybe it's just typical contract stuff

it wasn't with Carr :(

Detoxing
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
hopefully ... maybe it's just typical contract stuff

it wasn't with Carr :(

Carr wasn't Franchised either.

Obviously the Chiefs want Bowe. If they didn't then they woulda tagged Carr instead.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Sounds like something started by that hack incinerated blob

btlook1
04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I really don't give a shit anymore.

Strip it, or sign him to a 50 year contract. All of this is moot with our current QB.

EXACTLY! We have to have a QB that can read a defense and deliver that ball more than 15 yards downfield. Do we have that......

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Carr wasn't Franchised either.

Obviously the Chiefs want Bowe. If they didn't then they woulda tagged Carr instead.
which brings up another point

You have to think that the Chiefs were trying extra hard to get Bowe signed so that they could tag Carr and get something for him. Which indicates to me that that both Carr and Bowe had real issues of some kind.

L.A. Chieffan
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
which brings up another point

You have to think that the Chiefs were trying extra hard to get Bowe signed so that they could tag Carr and get something for him. Which indicates to me that that both Carr and Bowe had real issues of some kind.

I have this great idea, it's called A Jump to Conclusions Mat.

Setsuna
04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Tannehill will be drafted or Bowe doesn't sign shit. Those are his terms.

whoman69
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Tannehill will be drafted or Bowe doesn't sign shit. Those are his terms.

Doubt it.