PDA

View Full Version : Football Pro Bowl Likely To Be Stopped- CP Posters Are Irate

Sofa King
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7857508/nfl-moving-suspend-pro-bowl-sources-say

Pro Bowl game likely to be stopped
Updated: April 26, 2012, 9:25 AM ET
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

Many players who will be selected during the league's NFL draft are regarded as future Pro Bowlers but the Pro Bowl game itself likely will be suspended this season and beyond, according to league sources.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen weighs in on Ryan Tannehill, potential trades during the draft, Matt Kalil, the possible elimination of the Pro Bowl and more.

More Podcasts Ľ
The Pro Bowl currently is on the NFL's calendar the week before the Super Bowl in New Orleans on Feb. 3 but no game site has been listed because of its precarious status, sources added.

Sources say that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has previously voiced his displeasure with the lack of competitiveness of recent Pro Bowl games, is strongly considering suspending this year's game, sources say.

Beyond 2013, another league source believes the Pro Bowl is "DOA (dead on arrival)."

If the game is suspended, the league still would have a Pro Bowl balloting process to identify the season's top players and would direct teams to negotiate Pro Bowl clauses into player contracts and to honor Pro Bowl incentive clauses to avoid any serious conflict with the NFL Players Association. Those players also likely would be honored in some fashion during Super Bowl week.

Goodell has asked NFL players recently for suggestions to make the game more attractive but has yet to embrace a solution, sources said.

Even those within who league support continuance of the game have been unable to persuade Goodell that the game has merit alone on reasonably strong television ratings.

However, the diminishing quality of the game has weighed more heavily on the commissioner who believes it reflects poorly on the league and its players. Sources say Goodell does not hold any ill-will toward the players' lackluster effort because of player safety issues.

Goodell said in February that eliminating the game was under consideration. In an appearance on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Super Bowl Sunday, Goodell said the league must address the quality of the game and even said he would consider eliminating the all-star game if it can't be improved upon.

The AFC routed the NFC 59-41 in last season's Pro Bowl game that drew boos at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu for its lack of early intensity.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers had said that some of his NFC teammates "embarrassed themselves" with the effort they gave in the game.

I know Cp is going to hate this news. If people stop backing out of the pro bowl we'll likely never see Matt Cassel in the pro bowl ever again. I know I know, that's fool talk. He'll make it again.

J Diddy
04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
IMO, the best solution is to keep the pro bowl but make it flag football.

Sofa King
04-26-2012, 08:56 AM

That would be cool actually.

ChiefsNow
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Having it before the superbowl is dumb as hell.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2012, 08:59 AM
They should just have a skills competition.

suds79
04-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Yep.

Let it be a vacation for the guys. Do the skills competition and that's good.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Yep.

Let it be a vacation for the guys. Do the skills competition and that's good.

Skills competitions in full pads. Each with a pot of money that gets split between the player and charity of their choice.

WR 40 yard dash races in full pads.

CBs have to backpedal and on a whistle then turn and race.

QB's distance and speed on throws. Skeet throwing like Weeden did on Sports Science.

OL and DL push sleds.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Just get rid of the game and make it a selection list similar to All-Conference teams in college.

Predarat
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
It would have been funny to see 13 other QBs back out of the Pro Bowl and casshole sneak in there. But I think they should go to backups before casshole gets in there.

Pablo
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Skills competitions in full pads. Each with a pot of money that gets split between the player and charity of their choice.

WR 40 yard dash races in full pads.

CBs have to backpedal and on a whistle then turn and race.

QB's distance and speed on throws. Skeet throwing like Weeden did on Sports Science.

OL and DL push sleds.This would be fine.

This last pro bowl was probably the least interesting sporting event I've ever watched live or on television.

ChiefsNow
04-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Have a paintball war, tug of war, golf tournament , shoot targets, archery, races, king of the mountain, other bullshit.

Buehler445
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Don't care.

I would actually watch a skills competition.

All Conference players would be good too.

Bottom line, I hope they don't play it anymore and other than that, I don't care much.

morphius
04-26-2012, 09:19 AM
They completely neutered the D, how do they expect it to be an exciting game?

Fire Me Boy!
04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't know that I've ever watched a Pro Bowl game.... :hmmm:

I would watch a skills competition.

qabbaan
04-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Not one person outside Hawaii would miss it.

Look at this community - rabid fans, even though our team is wretched. Most of us don't even turn the pro bowl game on. It's a snoozer.

Fire Me Boy!
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm all for the honor of being selected a Pro Bowl player, but the game sucks ass.

ChiTown
04-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm all for the honor of being selected a Pro Bowl player, but the game sucks ass.

This.

I have not watched a Pro Bowl game since I was a kid. Once the season is over, who gives a F? Do us all a favor and just shit-can this worthless game.

Frazod
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Only good thing about it is the opportunity to actual watch OUR players play in a game that late in the season. It's not like it's going to happen any other way.

Donger
04-26-2012, 09:41 AM
How about a spelling contest instead?

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
So what if they don't play a Pro Bowl this season. They didn't play one last season, either.
10:02 AM - 26 Apr 12 via WhoSay

LMAO

ChiTown
04-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Well, that would be an interesting broadcast. "Spell the word cat, and the first letter is not a K............"

Chiefnj2
04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, that would be an interesting broadcast. "Spell the word cat, and the first letter is not a K............"

Imma need some help on that one, can you use it in a sentence?

Emmet Smith: "Larry Fitzgerald did a great cat last week."
Neil Smith: "No Emmet, it's Larry Fitzgerlad made a great cat last week."

Frazod
04-26-2012, 10:08 AM

M-O-O-N, that spells Wonderlic.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
don't care either way

King_Chief_Fan
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
haven't watched if for years so I won't miss it

Munson
04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Just have them play a Madden tournament. It would be more entertaining than the actual game.

unothadeal
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Get rid of the cash prize for the losing team.

-King-
04-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't even know why they got rid of the skills competition. Even when the probowl game wasn't completely neutered, the skills competition was still the best part of probowl weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
The Pro Bowl has been a joke for a long time. The players don't try, lots don't even go. What they should do is, have a feature game in Hawaii and invite every practice squad player from every NFL team. Fill in with undrafted free agents if need be, and have a game where these guys can showcase their skills. At least they would hit, and tackle, and try. Would be a much more entertaining game.

mr. tegu
04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
How about a pickup basketball game or a game of horse or even knockout. IMO endless small events like these and those mentioned above would be much more entertaining.

bevischief
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM

I have been saying this for years and have it after the super bowl like a few weeks later.

Epic Fail 007
04-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Good I hate it.

Frosty
04-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't even know why they got rid of the skills competition. Even when the probowl game wasn't completely neutered, the skills competition was still the best part of probowl weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't they get rid of it after a promising young player tear up his knee so bad that he never played again?

chasedude
04-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Meh I don't watch the pro bowl games, really don't care. I'm sure the selected players are still bitching they don't get to go to Hawaii though.

Inmem58
04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
So does this mean Cassel wasn't really good?

Easy 6
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sYS0weula7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Didn't they get rid of it after a promising young player tear up his knee so bad that he never played again?

Robert Edwards - rookie of the year for the Pats tore up his knee during the rookie beach flag football game.

Frosty
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Robert Edwards - rookie of the year for the Pats tore up his knee during the rookie beach flag football game.

Thanks. I knew it was something like that.

whoman69
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't think a skills competition is going to bring in any sort of following to watch. The game is unwatchable as played. I haven't seen any suggestions that will really replace the game. Barring that, it needs to be cancelled.

kchero
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe they should do a veteran vs. rookie/2 year player game. It would probably make the game more competitive because the veterans wouldnít want to lose to the younger pups out of pride.

Baconeater
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
If the Pro Bowl ever had any credibility, it lost it when Matt Cassel got an invite.

BigChiefFan
04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
To have the game before the SB is insane in the membrane.

Bowser
04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
If the Pro Bowl ever had any credibility, it lost it when Matt Cassel got an invite.

To be fair, Cassel was like the fifth replacement player selected, or something like that.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
To have the game before the SB is insane in the membrane.

Moving it there put the final nail in the coffin. It's a guaranteed ~14 replacements prior to any "injury replacements" that show up.

journeyscarab
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
How about a "battle of the network stars" type of contest, complete with the satin 70s style shorts?

Bowser
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
How about a "battle of the network stars" type of contest, complete with the satin 70s style shorts?

Just say no to NBA Nutter shorts, nttiawwt. I guess.

vailpass
04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Select Pro Bowlers the same way as always but the player's don't play in the game, their wives do. Play the game in string bikinis in Hawaii.

Frazod
04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
To be fair, Cassel was like the fifth replacement player selected, or something like that.

Exactly. To paraphrase Bruce Willis in Armageddon, it wasn't a choice, but a lack of options.

whoman69
04-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Select Pro Bowlers the same way as always but the player's don't play in the game, their wives do. Play the game in string bikinis in Hawaii.

They'd have to recruit a special squad for that, not just necessarily Pro Bowler's wives. I don't think they could afford Giselle.

Bump
04-26-2012, 03:27 PM

not a bad idea. I wonder if their instincts would take over and go for a big hit on someone.

Just throw the damn Pro Bowl out and have a little ceremony or something.

vailpass
04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
They'd have to recruit a special squad for that, not just necessarily Pro Bowler's wives. I don't think they could afford Giselle.

Good point. Giselle can keep her bitch ass at home though. TBH I don't find her all that attractive from the neck up.

Dayze
04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Throw in an a hot dog eating contest and I'd watch

Bump
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
all of the selected pro bowlers should play a tourney of texas hold em and let the winner take all of the pro bowl bonuses, or top 6 or 7 get paid and cash it out like a normal tourney would, instead.