PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are You Happy With Poe At 11?

Pages : [1] 2

BossChief
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I was prepared for a pick that wouldn't excite me after Barron and Tannehill went off the board. At least Poe has elite tools and we have a staff and surrounding players to help this kid get there.

Poll forthcoming.

SNR
04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Are you fucking blind?

Extra Point
Another Poe thread.

Mecca
Kind of 50/50 honestly, I think none of us expected it because of all the tape means more than combine talk.

If it works out though they look brilliant.

buddha
BossChief...I hate this pick like poison coated in sin!

-King-
04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Didn't particularly like anyone in this draft and seeing the way our team is set up, anything other than a QB isn't going to excite me.

KC_Lee
Another Poe thread.

A lot of folks are excited about "The Raven" which opens this weekend.

O.city
Actually, I'm extremely happy.

A boom or bust pick at a spot where, after everyone who was off the board at the time, I could have cared less who they took.

They took a guy at a position of need, with the potential to be an absolute monster int he middle.

Fine with me.

CHENZ A!
Every player that I would've wanted at 11 was off the board... So being that we couldn't trade down... I would rather take a chance on Poe than have drafted anyone else there. Glad we went for it with him than draft DeCastro, Brockers, or anyone else that we were linked to.

Guru
not only no, but FUCK NO!!!

Thig Lyfe
POE FO SHO!!!

buddha
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Kind of 50/50 honestly, I think none of us expected it because of all the tape means more than combine talk.

Romeo gives us all hope because dude is a witch with D-Linemen. If there is anybody who can turn this dog pick into a player, it's Romeo. I just wish he had something going for him outside of a great 48 hours at the combine.

okcchief
04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Its just like the Tyson Jackson pick. If you are going to make it trade the fuck down. All of these fucking first round picks at DL you would think we'd be dominate there by now.

Urc Burry
04-26-2012, 09:41 PM
To me you are either getting a Haloti Ngata type player, or a complete bust. HUGE gamble. I didn't like the way the draft fell, so I am okay with it. I'm sure Romeo knows the D-Line more than I do.

BossChief
There hadn't been a poll.

milkman
I'm happy that they got the major headscratcher out of the way, and hopeful that they nail the rest of the draft.

O.city
Its just like the Tyson Jackson pick. If you are going to make it trade the **** down. All of these ****ing first round picks at DL you would think we'd be dominate there by now.

Technically, against the run last year, our ends were dominant.

Reaper16
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Poe has incredible potential that I really don't think he'll ever fulfill. That the Chiefs drafted him over Ingram, Mercilus, or Brockers infuriates me.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Its a meh for me. I wanted Dont'a Hightower, and it shows he fits our scheme with New England trading for him. We need a nose tackle bad. We are basically drafting for luxury now as any of our choices would have been luxury picks. Poe is a high risk, high reward type player. I'm not going to go around and cuss and hate on it, because its not that bad.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2012, 09:43 PM

You mean 20/20?

50/50 is hindsight now. :)

keg in kc
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
With what was on the board, I don't have a problem with it. I'm not any more upset or excited by the Poe pick than I would have been with Tannehill, and I like it more than Kuechly or someone like Weeden (I thought him going in the first was nuts). Most of the available names fill positions that are already covered, in most cases by good players, and it's a need (one of the few I think), it's a guy who's physically enormous, who I think rates pretty positively on the boom/bust scale. So not "happy" per se, but definitely not as violently against it as I was Ryan Sims (but hell, I think I wanted Wendell Bryant that year, so WTF do I know).

SNR
Let me put it this way.

There's nothing like drafting an abortion like Dontari Poe to give you some perspective on other guys we could have taken.

For instance, if some time-traveling alien zapped into my living room right now and said he would adjust the timeline so Kansas City would pick DeCastro over Poe, I'd be fucking ecstatic. I'd be unbelievably elated.

I'd be DOUBLY elated if we had taken Michael Brockers.

Steron
Meh. When Tannehill went to Miami I really didn't have a player I was geeked about left on the board. Boom or bust pick. Let's hope he booms. I have to assume Romeo knows more than me at talent evaluation.

RJ
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
I doubt this will be a pick we look back fondly on 3-4 years from now. Sure hope I'm wrong.

dirk digler

Pretty much this.

Count Zarth
Nah. I've definitely seen enough of Scott Pioli's "draft expertise" at this point.

Everything he does continues to assure me that this regime is circling the drain.

patteeu
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
There were about 5 players I would have rather had left on the board when the Chiefs drafted, but I'm confident that Pioli and his staff are a billion times smarter than me about scouting talent so I'm happy that they got a guy who fills the 2nd biggest need on the team and I've got my fingers crossed that he can live up to the job.

Ultra Peanut
If I hadn't liked watching him play and instead had never heard of him until the combine, I'm sure I'd be more wary. But either way he's a calculated risk and it's not an unreasonable move.

I mostly just wanted a trade down, but this is pretty neat as a total Memphis homer.

O.city
We could look back on this and be furious in 4 years.

Or we could be watching a dominant NT control the middle of our defense.

IMO it was worth the pick.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
If I hadn't liked watching him play and instead had never heard of him until the combine, I'm sure I'd be more wary. But either way he's a calculated risk and it's not an unreasonable move.

I mostly just wanted a trade down, but this is pretty neat.

So from Memphis fan what did you see, other than piss poor football from the Tigers which I'm sure is cause for the lack of stats.

Count Zarth
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Let me put it this way.

There's nothing like drafting an abortion like Dontari Poe to give you some perspective on other guys we could have taken.

For instance, if some time-traveling alien zapped into my living room right now and said he would adjust the timeline so Kansas City would pick DeCastro over Poe, I'd be fucking ecstatic. I'd be unbelievably elated.

This.

BossChief
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Another point I'd like to try and make about Piolis draft history here.

He seems to target a certain part of the team to improve in each draft.

We had a somewhat weak run defense and I bet adding Poe isn't the only pick that is made to improve our run defense.

Poe may have been the first domino.

Or...this is the first sign of how much we are gonna miss Phil Emery.

Thig Lyfe
Shoulda traded up to take Weeden.

O.city
Had we taken Brockers, the other half of the board would have exploded.

Whoever we would have picked here, someone woudl be bitching.

kcjayhawks5
04-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Brockers? doubt it

beach tribe
The Browns are just mind numbingly stupid.

Mecca
What we should have all learned is this team highly values defensive linemen and doesn't value OL that highly, we all should have known DeCastro wasn't an option.

KurtCobain
WAS IT SO HARD TO JUST TAKE A FUCKING GUARD

Mecca
04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Another point I'd like to try and make about Piolis draft history here.

We had a somewhat weak run defense and I bet adding Poe isn't the only pick that is made to improve our run defense.

Poe may have been the first domino.

Or...this is the first sign of how much we are gonna miss Phil Emery.

Expecting an end and a big MLB somewhere, hell wouldn't be stunned to see a late pick used on Burfict just to have him in on run downs.

dirk digler
04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Let me put it this way.

It would have been great to pick another LSU player that can't rush the passer

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
So from Memphis fan what did you see, other than piss poor football from the Tigers which I'm sure is cause for the lack of stats.That is exactly what I saw for most of the past three years, yeah. The biggest bright spots were the young QBs who came in (and then transferred), flashes at RB, and the D-Line play of Frank Trotter, Johnnie Farms, and especially Poe. He got double-teamed and triple-teamed all the time, but I still walked away from a lot of games being happy about something he or the rest of the d-line did and depressed that he was probably going to declare for the draft before the team was ever worthy of playing alongside him.

The rest of the roster actively made me dread watching games, yet I couldn't look away. The "bluh bluh second-team All-C-USA" stuff rings really false to me, considering he was a d-lineman from a fucking abysmal 2-10 team.

chiefzilla1501
04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
What we should have all learned is this team highly values defensive linemen and doesn't value OL that highly, we all should have known DeCastro wasn't an option.

The Chiefs have done fine on upgrading the OL while valuing it lowly. I hardly see the problem here.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Let me put it this way.

Uhhhh, no

Ultra Peanut
To be completely honest, though, I suffer PTSD-like symptoms thanks to the past few years of Memphis football, so a lot of stuff is very spotty.

O.city
If you throw a Konz, or good C on this oline, it's a really really good one.

Mecca
04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
The Chiefs have done fine on upgrading the OL while valuing it lowly. I hardly see the problem here.

I didn't say it was a problem, if you like Albert there's no reason to be drafting offensive linemen in the 1st round.

BossChief
04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Expecting an end and a big MLB somewhere, hell wouldn't be stunned to see a late pick used on Burfict just to have him in on run downs.

Who ya got, man?

If history tells us anything, it's that we will target some good run stuffers.

O.city
04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
What is the DE from UCONNS name?

Count Zarth
04-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Which is fucking stupid.

KC Hawks
04-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Blow for Poe worked out for us!

BossChief
Had we taken Brockers, the other half of the board would have exploded.

Whoever we would have picked here, someone woudl be bitching.

Yup.

Its too bad Barron didn't slip.

Brock
It's a pick that helps the team more than any other available if it works out.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Yup.

Its too bad Barron didn't slip.

Yeah, I had really came around on Barron.

Would have understood the Brockers pick, but I think Poe's upside was too much to move from.

beach tribe
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM

And shouldn't have been there. I'm positive that if the Steelers were at 11, Decastro would not have been their pick. And if they would have chosen Poe, many who despise him as our pick would instantly expect him to produce for them.
After Sims, and Freeman, and the other pieces of shit we've had here. I can't really blame them.

Mecca
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Kendall Reyes, wouldn't be surprised if we looked at Derek Wolfe either in say the 4th.

morphius
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
There was nobody there at 11 that really excited me. It was really just sort of a nasty draw for us. Not enough talent at areas where we had needs.

beach tribe
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I had really came around on Barron.

Would have understood the Brockers pick, but I think Poe's upside was too much to move from.

Yup.

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2012, 10:04 PM
im on the wait n see approach. He was a position of huge need. We will see, hopefully RAC can mold this kid into something good. Then again all he needs to do is take up 2 guys and collapse the pocket.

Mecca
04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Is it bad that I'd like to use a late pick on Burfict because I think in this system he could be a monster?

Count Zarth
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Is it bad that I'd like to use a late pick on Burfict because I think in this system he could be a monster?

It's Scott Pioli. We can do that, or we can trade up to take a terrible tight end, or a nose tackle who can't read.

BossChief
We also learned that we are fairly deliberate with our intentions prior to the draft.

We brought all of our first rounders in for private workouts.

Brockers
Poe
Tannehill

Those were their guys.

O.city
Burfict could just unleash in the thumper role.

Detoxing
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
There was nobody there at 11 that really excited me. It was really just sort of a nasty draw for us. Not enough talent at areas where we had needs.

I agree. It's kinda a shitty draft, really.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
It's Scott Pioli. We can do that, or we can trade up to take a terrible tight end, or a nose tackle who can't read.

Are you kidding me?

Weren't you all balla ass GM over the Powe pick last year?

Mecca
04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
You can be a retard and be a good NT.

Frosty
04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I feel like I waited all year for Christmas and then only got got socks and underwear.

You just don't take boom or bust guys high in the first round, imo. You take the guys that were productive and save the risky guys for later (see Justin Houston). Kirkpatrick, Hightower or Mercilus would have been better picks, IMO.

KC Tattoo
Didn't particularly like anyone in this draft and seeing the way our team is set up, anything other than a QB isn't going to excite me.

This is exactly how I fealt. Knowing Luck and RGIII were going first 2 and we wern't going get them took every thing out of this draft and there isn't any player this year that I can get excited about. This pick is just moot.

Brock
Are you kidding me?

Of course he was.

Count Zarth
04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Are you kidding me?

Yeah, before it was evident Powe was such a colossally bad pick he couldn't even get on the field. AT ALL.

Frosty

Burfict is a raging dumbass, I don't want him anywhere near my team.

BossChief

He will be a sick value anywhere after the mid fourth.

When he is focused, he is a guy that takes over games.

Count Zarth
You can be a retard and be a good NT.

Can you be a retard and be a good GM?

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
He was a 5th round pick, that everyone here wanted in the 2 and was IIRC a 3 round grade.

Count Zarth
Burfict is a raging dumbass, I don't want him anywhere near my team.

Too bad we have a raging dumbass leading our franchise.

Frosty
Too bad we have a raging dumbass leading our franchise.

Well, there's that.

arrwheader
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
PO SHO

BossChief
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
If Poe reaches his potential...this is gonna be a consistent top five defense.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
If Poe reaches his potential...this is gonna be a consistent top five defense.

This.

With who was available where we picked, what player could you say that about?

DTLB58
04-26-2012, 10:15 PM
How can anyone say? Is it a need position? sure. But First overall picks have busted so.....Let's wait. Let's hope.

One thing is for sure. Most people would have said entering this off-season the Chiefs biggest needs were: RT, NT, QB (You choose the order there) They have attempted to fill the key needs. They wanted Manning, he didn't want them or they may have struck the trifecta.

Easy 6
04-26-2012, 10:16 PM

Well put.

Tribal Warfare
I'm on the wait and see bandwagon, because this will be a true testament in how Crennel can coach him up.

Frankie
I've heard him compared (in talent) to Haloti Ngata. Maybe Romeo can instill the toughness and the meanness in him to achieve that ceiling. My fingers are crossed.

I think Poe at 11 (the way Tannehill, Barron, and Kuechly were plucked quickly) is a far better Pioli pick than Ty-Jax at 3. So this could have been worse. Just wish we could have traded down some.

DTLB58
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
This.

With who was available where we picked, what player could you say that about?

Hightower.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Hightower.

I'm not sure how much better Hightower is than Belcher at this point.

Mecca
04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I feel like I waited all year for Christmas and then only got got socks and underwear.

You just don't take boom or bust guys high in the first round, imo. You take the guys that were productive and save the risky guys for later (see Justin Houston). Kirkpatrick, Hightower or Mercilus would have been better picks, IMO.

I'm not sure I've seen a player be as overvalued as Donta Hightower on this forum, at 11 he's a bigger reach than Poe alright.

SNR
If Poe reaches his potential...this is gonna be a consistent top five defense.It's a shame that the franchise is okay with taking guys who are extreme risks to even play up to their potential when it comes to NTs, but not QBs.

Like you said, if Poe plays to his potential, we've got a top 5 defense.

If Tannehill plays to his potential, we've got a Super Bowl dynasty.

I know you've been beating that drum just as much as I have been, Boss. I'm just still drunk and pissed about this pick

tredadda
I disagree with the pick not because I have an issue with us getting a NT because we badly need one, but I don't think his production justifies him going this high. He strikes me as a combine warrior who is all potential and little production. I do not think he is a Ryan Sims though.

Pasta Giant Meatball
I'm not sure how much better Hightower is than Belcher at this point.

Belcher is so underrated on this board, it's hilarious.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't really care about numbers in college.

If it were all about numbers, Case Keenum is a top pick.

It's the eye test that worries me about Poe. He was underwhelming at Memphis.

You can't argue with his raw talent and fit for the spot he is going to play though.

BossChief
I've got to say it.

Cover your ears, haters.

Stanzi is gonna win a superbowl with this team.

BryanBusby
Yeah the Ryan Sims comparison if baffling. Poe isn't a fat lazy slop of shit that was playing next to Julius Peppers.

I don't like the pick, but I felt it coming and knew they were going to address NT eventually. Crennel and Pioli better fucking hope the problems are correctable.

I am glad they didn't draft a fucking guard though.

DTLB58
I'm on the wait and see bandwagon, because this will be a true testament in how Crennel can coach him up.

Don't forget Anthony Pleasant. If he can help make a star out of him this could go on his resume one day to lead towards a DC position.

milkman
04-26-2012, 10:21 PM

You ain't just whistling Dixie.

Pasta Giant Meatball
They made Amon Gordon serviceable....

I think people forget Patty Cakes isn't thier any more.

Mecca
I want to know what the Hightower boner is. he's not overly athletic yes he's big and hits hard but he's also up and down and is limited in what he can do against passing teams...at 25 great pick at 11 shitty pick.

In a lot of ways he doesn't even have Burficts talent he just isn't retarded.

O.city
I've got to say it.

Cover your ears, haters.

I like it.

If we get a good Center/ guard tomorrow. Say we can grab Konz and somehow trade back up and grab Upshaw.

This team, outside of qb doesn't have a hole.

Stanzi can step right in and take over America.

tredadda
04-26-2012, 10:23 PM

^ This, and I have to say the same thing about Lewis as well.

BryanBusby
04-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I want to know what the Hightower boner is. he's not overly athletic yes he's big and hits hard but he's also up and down and is limited in what he can do against passing teams...at 25 great pick at 11 shitty pick.

In a lot of ways he doesn't even have Burficts talent he just isn't retarded.

I'd say it's more of the "Alabama defensive player" allure. People were pimping the idea of drafting a Guard at 11, so is there shock that a 2 down linebacker would get pimped too?

Frosty
I'm not sure I've seen a player be as overvalued as Donta Hightower on this forum, at 11 he's a bigger reach than Poe alright.

Well, i was hoping for a trade down.

tredadda
I've got to say it.

Cover your ears, haters.

I would be ecstatic if that happened.

BossChief
04-26-2012, 10:25 PM
He has the tools to be elite and they wouldnt have taken him if they didn't buy into his work ethic.

Add those to our coaching staff and there is reason for some optimism.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Here is the thing about Poe.

If you had taken say Decastro. His upside is a great guard, but like it's been stated, how much does that help overall success of this team?

Same with Hightower. Is his upside that much better than Belcher?

Brockers, could be argued that he has Seymour upside, but again you are gambling and taking a guy that could be that at 5 tech.

With Poe, his upside is a dominating athletic NT, of Ngata skillset. That absolutely can transform your defense.

DTLB58
04-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Who is to blame for the TE domination to this defense? Plus, this D has been ripped up the middle on run plays over and over. Where has he been?

milkman
04-26-2012, 10:27 PM
I like it.

If we get a good Center/ guard tomorrow. Say we can grab Konz and somehow trade back up and grab Upshaw.

This team, outside of qb doesn't have a hole.

Stanzi can step right in and take over America.

I really like Ben Jones or David Molk later in the draft more than Peter Knoz.

Or going forward with the transition of Hudson to center and taking Keniche Osemele or Amini Silatolu at guard.

BryanBusby
Did you see who was playing at safety last season?

Bewbies

I was going to write the same thing, instead I quote you. Well done.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Most of the time, when this team was ripped up the middle it was because there were guards and centers on our LB's.

Go ask Ray Lewis how important Ngata is to him. Thats what Poe was drafted for. Whether he gets there or not is another thing.

Imagine what DJ and Belcher would do with Ngata in front of them?

O.city
I really like Ben Jones or David Molk later in the draft more than Peter Knoz.

Or going forward with the transition of Hudson to center and taking Keniche Osemele or Amini Silatolu at guard.

Either one of those guys are fine with me. I like Molk alot.

I really am on the Upshaw in the second bandwagon.

Pasta Giant Meatball
Who is to blame for the TE domination to this defense? Plus, this D has been ripped up the middle on run plays over and over. Where has he been?

Number one is an absolute myth. Number 2 Nose Tackle and McGraw/Sallyputababyinherbelly playing too many snaps.

Frankie
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
High I'm Dwayne Bowe.... This is ma brother Powe, ... this is ma other brother Poe.

Frosty
04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Number one is an absolute myth.

Yup. Milkman has shot that one down several times.

evolve27
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Here is the thing about Poe.

If you had taken say Decastro. His upside is a great guard, but like it's been stated, how much does that help overall success of this team?

Same with Hightower. Is his upside that much better than Belcher?

Brockers, could be argued that he has Seymour upside, but again you are gambling and taking a guy that could be that at 5 tech.

With Poe, his upside is a dominating athletic NT, of Ngata skillset. That absolutely can transform your defense.

Poe can't make up for Cassels ineptness to convert on 3rd downs.

BossChief
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
If Poe fullfils his potential, Belcher is gonna appear super human against the run.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Poe can't make up for Cassels ineptness to convert on 3rd downs.

No, but he could potentially turn this defense into a juggernaut.

Frankie
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM

THIS!.... Absolutely, totally, and decisively.

beach tribe
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I've got to say it.

Cover your ears, haters.

Man, that would be ...
"Capital"
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/bbeal29/images-5.jpg

evolve27
04-26-2012, 10:38 PM
No, but he could potentially turn this defense into a juggernaut.

Hope so. I feel like he has decent mentors to push him on our D-line. Hope Hali lights a fire so far up his ass to push the pocket.

aturnis
04-26-2012, 10:38 PM

First round OL, no. It seems Pioli likes to grab good players who slip into the second and third rounds for the OL. Making me wonder if we make a move for Konz.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm warming up more to the pick. I hope we get Upshaw in the second.

O.city
04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I would like Konz, or one of the Guards Milk mentioned.

Or grab Upshaw in the second and a guard/ center int he third?

BossChief
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
We still have significant depth needs for players that will play a lot.

Third safety (Taylor)
Linebacker depth (Upshaw)
Center (Konz, Molk, Webster)
Guard (Glenn, Osemele)

Psyko Tek
04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
really, I do not watch college ball,
so I have no idea
just glad it wasn't a WR, ot OT

wish it was a QB that was good
but none were there

Urc Burry
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I just got done watching him at the combine again... I know there is absolutely no need for it, but I think Poe could put on another ten pounds and you wouldn't even notice. The dude holds his weight well.

In these next couple rounds I like, a guard foremost, a safety, and one of my favorite prospects this year is Ryan Broyles. Not the biggest need but he is the perfect slot receiver. And with the uncertainty with Bowe it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
"As of right now, I have an unlimited amount of motivation because of what I've been hearing through the press," Poe said. "It will motivate me more. But to say that it will be the ultimate factor in me trying to rip someone's head off because of the draft, you know, I was planning on doing that anyway."

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2012, 11:18 PM
If anyone gets this fat sack of lazy shit to do something, it's Romeo. we'll see...

CosmicPal
04-26-2012, 11:28 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gv97ZrBG8K0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gv97ZrBG8K0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Chiefshrink
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
I was prepared for a pick that wouldn't excite me after Barron and Tannehill went off the board. At least Poe has elite tools and we have a staff and surrounding players to help this kid get there.

Poll forthcoming.

When one of your big needs is a NT and there is the ideal 6'4" 346 lbs kid that benches 225lbs 44 times and runs 4.98 in the 40 with a good motor and you can see on tape this kid was poorly coached who had 3 different D coordinators in 4yrs; I can see Crennel begging Pioli to make this pick and not to trust the tape but to trust Crennel to coach this kid up.:thumb:

-King-
04-27-2012, 12:32 AM
GOD DAMN SCOTT IGNORING THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE IN A 3-4 DEFENSE!

GOD DAMN SCOTT! HOW DARE YOU PICK AN NT IN THE FIRST ROUND!

THIS MOTHERFUCKER PIOLI IS STUPID ENOUGH TO PICK A GUARD AT 11!

GOD DAMMIT PIOLI! WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK DECASTRO!

KCrockaholic
04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
GOD DAMN SCOTT IGNORING THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE IN A 3-4 DEFENSE!

GOD DAMN SCOTT! HOW DARE YOU PICK AN NT IN THE FIRST ROUND!

THIS MOTHER****ER PIOLI IS STUPID ENOUGH TO PICK A GUARD AT 11!

GOD DAMMIT PIOLI! WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK DECASTRO!

It's so ironic. We've been begging for a NT for years now, and we finally get one...And we're unhappy about it because it's not the "right one" that we wanted.

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Poe is gonna domninate.

KCrockaholic
04-27-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm just glad it's day 2. I don't like the Poe pick. Oh well. I hope I'm wrong and Crennel can work his magic with this guy. But now I'm ready to see what other surprises we get. I'm begging for Upshaw to fall to us.

ChiefAshhole20
04-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Name the last time a 6'4" 346 lbs NT that benches 225lbs 44 times and runs a 4.98 in the 40 ended up being a bust

KCrockaholic
04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Name the last time a 6'4" 346 lbs NT that benches 225lbs 44 times and runs a 4.98 in the 40 ended up being a bust

Dontari Poe.

No in all fairness, that question can't be serious.

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2012, 12:54 AM

LITERALLY NEVER

Saccopoo
04-27-2012, 01:28 AM

Has there ever been a 6'4", 350 lbs. guy that benched 44 reps and ran a 4.98?

Let alone one that busts?

KCDC
04-27-2012, 01:34 AM
If we get Konz or Glenn in the second, I'll feel better about things. Glenn could also be a back-up tackle.

Count Zarth
04-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Has there ever been a 6'4", 350 lbs. guy that benched 44 reps and ran a 4.98?

Let alone one that busts?

Vernon Gholston was a physical freak too.

SNR
04-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Name the last time a 6'4" 346 lbs NT that benches 225lbs 44 times and runs a 4.98 in the 40 ended up being a bustRemember when Brock Lesnar tried to make it in the NFL?

He didn't know how to play football, either.

jspchief
04-27-2012, 02:39 AM
We could look back on this and be furious in 4 years.

Or we could be watching a dominant NT control the middle of our defense.

IMO it was worth the pick.

That's fucking brilliant. These are the types of comments fans make after their team drafts Tim Tebow or Lawrence Phillips.

Congratulations Chiefs fans, your team just used just used the 11th overall on this year's Maurice Clarrett. Minus the college production.

Fruit Ninja
04-27-2012, 02:40 AM
That's ****ing brilliant. These are the types of comments fans make after their team drafts Tim Tebow or Lawrence Phillips.

Congratulations Chiefs fans, your team just used just used the 11th overall on this year's Maurice Clarrett. Minus the college production.

Poe has character issues? cause ughh, i dont see any. lol

Warrior5
04-27-2012, 03:11 AM

He needs a haircut...

BryanBusby
04-27-2012, 03:12 AM
That's fucking brilliant. These are the types of comments fans make after their team drafts Tim Tebow or Lawrence Phillips.

This is probably the most ridiculous way I've seen the Poe selection described yet.

Congratulations!

beach tribe
04-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Poe is gonna be domninate.
FYP

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Whoever voted no on this pole just doesn't want to be domninate.

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 04:12 AM
I'm just going to place my proverbial trust in Crennel.

Three years, and we'll see what the kid's made of.

Love how 50-50 this board is. Arrowhead Pride is, too.

Jerm
04-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Still ehhhh on the pick but coming around on it because I think Romeo is the perfect coach for him and if anyone can get the best out of him it'd be RAC.

Upshaw in the 2nd would be a steal...

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 04:18 AM
I was looking through my mocks from the end of 2011.

I drafted Poe a lot, but at the time he was a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Big need reach by the Chiefs. We need this guy to be a Ngata.

jspchief
04-27-2012, 04:25 AM

Not my point.

It's a pick that's so bad, people are breaking out the "if this works, GM will be a genius" defense.

That's what people always say about stupid first round selections.

Want to take my comparison that literally? Congrats, we just drafted Mike Mamula.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 04:41 AM
It's a shame that the franchise is okay with taking guys who are extreme risks to even play up to their potential when it comes to NTs, but not QBs.

Like you said, if Poe plays to his potential, we've got a top 5 defense.

If Tannehill plays to his potential, we've got a Super Bowl dynasty.

I know you've been beating that drum just as much as I have been, Boss. I'm just still drunk and pissed about this pick

this x a million

jesus

no chiefs fan can ever - EVER - use the 'oh noes, it risky!' excuse about a QB after we just used the #11 pick on a guy who did literally nothing in college....nothing

we now have 5 first rounders in our front 7 on defense...but we can't draft a QB for 30 years because it's so risky

just for shits...can anyone tell me how many top 15 picks in the last say decade did less in college in a shittier league than poe?

acesn8s
04-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Now that the Chiefs have drafted a NT, the Raiders will feel right at home running from the Powe/Poe defense.

Lightrise
04-27-2012, 05:44 AM

Absolutely...if we don't get a blue chip qb next year this mistake will be historic. Cleveland was smart.

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Hard to believe so many of you know better than the chiefs scouting dept, coaches and management.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Hard to believe so many of you know better than the chiefs scouting dept, coaches and management.

that's some wicked true fan originality, brah...

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gv97ZrBG8K0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Between this and all the bling last night, I'm not sure he's a financially responsible young man. Dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars before you are drafted and sign a contract, sounds a bit Dez Bryant-ish.

Bane
04-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Yeah their QB dept has been awesome for the last 30 years eh?

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 06:09 AM
this x a million

jesus

no chiefs fan can ever - EVER - use the 'oh noes, it risky!' excuse about a QB after we just used the #11 pick on a guy who did literally nothing in college....nothing

we now have 5 first rounders in our front 7 on defense...but we can't draft a QB for 30 years because it's so risky

just for shits...can anyone tell me how many top 15 picks in the last say decade did less in college in a shittier league than poe?

The difference is, at nose tackle, you can continually stock your roster with guys. Just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean you ever stop looking. Because backups will still get reps.

If tannehill is drafted, he's your qb for three years. The downside of tannehill not being the guy is a hell of a lot worse than if Poe isn't the guy. How many teams have drafted two first round qbs in a three year Span?

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
The difference is, at nose tackle, you can continually stock your roster with guys. Just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean you ever stop looking. Because backups will still get reps.

If tannehill is drafted, he's your qb for three years. The downside of tannehill not being the guy is a hell of a lot worse than if Poe isn't the guy. How many teams have drafted two first round qbs in a three year Span?

no, the difference is people just apply the bullshit logic to QBs...

because they just don't give a shit about the most important player on the team...

sorry, the 'risky' argument is dead...forever

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
They tried to get Manning. and 30 years has nothing to do with this pick.

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 06:15 AM
I don't think tannehill is that good. Weedon will probably have a few good years.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:16 AM

no one gives a shit

Bane
04-27-2012, 06:16 AM

So taking a guy that should be drying my truck off at the car wash vs taking a QB (or any other position) that actually did something in his college career has noting to do with our scouting dept,coaches,etc?

**** it I don't even give a goddam **** anymore.This team and its retarded ass fans like you deserve each other.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 06:17 AM

because they just don't give a shit about the most important player on the team...

I give a shit about getting the right qb,not jus the one that's most conveniently available. I've said before that if I want a project, I'd rather osweiler. If I want a franchise qb I'd rather trade up aggressively next year for Barkley or Wilson or hopefully other qbs that rise up in stock.

BoneKrusher
04-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Hell No

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:19 AM
I give a shit about getting the right qb,not jus the one that's most conveniently available. I've said before that if I want a project, I'd rather osweiler. If I want a franchise qb I'd rather trade up aggressively next year for Barkley or Wilson or hopefully other qbs that rise up in stock.

nah....it's straight up hypocrisy

i don't expect any of our 'it's risky' superstars to quit saying it...but I don't have to take it seriously anymore

defending poe puts the lie to all that

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 06:20 AM
So taking a guy that should be drying my truck off at the car wash vs taking a QB (or any other position) that actually did something in his college career has noting to do with our scouting dept,coaches,etc?

**** it I don't even give a goddam **** anymore.This team and its retarded ass fans like you deserve each other.

The Broncos welcome you.

DeepSouth
04-27-2012, 06:38 AM
I was hoping the Chiefs would get either Kuechly or Poe. I'm very happy.

suds79
04-27-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm just glad they didn't take DeCastro.

Rough day for all the true fans out there to try to understand how such a great Guard could slip like that.

Those NFL teams just don't appreciate the game changing difference a stud Guard can do for you.

Sannyasi
04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
NT is the most important position for a 3-4 defense, and the position for which we had the most glaring lack of talent on the entire team, outside of QB. We went after our second biggest need on the team by picking a guy with monstrous upside.

Am I sure about the pick? Fuck no. It is a huge risk. But considering the lack of other good options available at our pick, I am okay with a calculated risk. This team is not a high quality guard away from anything, but we could a top 5 defense with a dominant NT.

Count Zarth
04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
To his credit, Poe did go beast mode enough in C-USA to be 2nd Team All-Conference!

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 07:33 AM
To his credit, Poe did go beast mode enough in C-USA to be 2nd Team All-Conference!

13th leading tackler on his team!

suds79
04-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Just make sure he's the first guy off the bus.

If he can't get it done on the field, maybe some intimidation off it will help. :p

bevischief
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I changed the channel after they announced the pick...

Rausch
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I was hoping the Chiefs would get either Kuechly or Poe. I'm very happy.

I wasn't high on Kuechly at all but would have been much happier if he'd been our pick...

O.city
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Too bad we didn't take the guard at 11, nevermind the fact that we picked a guard last year in the second round that was just as good as that one.

Too bad we didn't take a pass rusher who would be on the field half of the defensive snaps.

You guys need to back off the edge.

boogblaster
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
how we have the poe poe sho .....

suds79
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
how we have the poe powe sho .....

FYP

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 08:02 AM
When arguing about Tannehill, one of the things I brought up as a negative was expecting him to be developed by a Romeo Crennel and Brian Daboll-led team.

Well, the flipside of that happens with Poe. He's landing in an ideal situation from a coaching standpoint.

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Agree !!!

Pioli decided to address NT this yr and QB next yr assuming Cassel fails which is a lock IMO. Apparently Pioli thought the QB class coming out next yr is worth the wait compared to the lower half of this yr.'s class of QB's. Besides it gives him more time for Cassel to produce and save his ass which is the real reason IMO.

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
NT is the most important position for a 3-4 defense, and the position for which we had the most glaring lack of talent on the entire team, outside of QB. We went after our second biggest need on the team by picking a guy with monstrous upside.

Am I sure about the pick? **** no. It is a huge risk. But considering the lack of other good options available at our pick, I am okay with a calculated risk. This team is not a high quality guard away from anything, but we could a top 5 defense with a dominant NT.

Ditto !!:thumb:

Setsuna
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
When arguing about Tannehill, one of the things I brought up as a negative was expecting him to be developed by a Romeo Crennel and Brian Daboll-led team.

Well, the flipside of that happens with Poe. He's landing in an ideal situation from a coaching standpoint.

Hey....Romeo can't pour himself into the D like he use to. Poe suffers because of this.

Rausch
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey....Romeo can't pour himself into the D like he use to. Poe suffers because of this.

Romeo said he was going to concentrate on the defense and let the OC worry about the offense.

I think our D will be just fine. I don't expect a dropoff there. I am worried about our offensive playcalling.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Apparently Pioli thought the QB class coming out next yr is worth the wait .

Keep telling yourself that.

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM

BINGO !!

I think the fact that his motor is always going was the deciding factor IMO.

Measurables help but coaches have seen huge failed measurables before with guys that just don't have a motor for the game(Vernon Gholston as someone said earlier) and that can't be taught. Either you have it or you don't.

Pioli/Crennel saw a kid who not only had huge measurables but a motor that never quit and felt "Hell we can see he is poorly coached and we can take care of that" !!

suds79
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Apparently Pioli thought the QB class coming out next yr is worth the wait

I think it's done. We needed to trade out of the 1st this year to get ammo next year. (Unless we give up future picks next year)

But we won't be in range for the top QBs next year. Better get a guy this year you think can play.

Otherwise we're F-ed at QB.

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Keep telling yourself that.

I'm not. I'm just guessing here as to what Pioli is thinking.

Rausch
04-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I think it's done. We needed to trade out of the 1st this year to get ammo next year. (Unless we give up future picks next year)

But we won't be in range for the top QBs next year. Better get a guy this year you think can play.

I don't see us doing any worse than 6-10. No way.

jspchief

Does Crennel have a history of taking bad Dlinemen and making them good?

nicksdad
since he has turned t-jack and dorsey into the second comings of reggie white i can see how you expect him to "coach up" poe! oh, that's right , they boht made some plays in college playing in a real conference. it is just another pioli "i am the smartest man in the room" pick. look at his terrible last 3 drafts in new england and his first terrible one in kc and decide if he is the genius that you were told theat he was when he came here.

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Good point. And I agree. It is evident Pioli is saving face with Cassel.

But if we are just a QB away and don't really have any glaring needs other than QB then we could afford to give up future picks. The downside of that is getting the newly drafted QB up to speed 2-3yrs.

ChiefMojo
04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Don't care for the pick but understand Poe is a high risk, high reward player. If he develops into the player Romeo Crennel and the Chiefs hope, we are talking one of the top 3 NT's in all of football. If he doesn't develop, well....

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Does Crennel have a history of taking bad Dlinemen and making them good?

Good question.

I think though that you can argue that everywhere he has been he has always produced good defenses and if he thought Poe was a lazy slob with no motor then our pick at 11 would have been someone else IMO.

Chiefshrink
Don't care for the pick but understand Poe is a high risk, high reward player. If he develops into the player Romeo Crennel and the Chiefs hope, we are talking one of the top 3 NT's in all of football. If he doesn't develop, well....

won't be the first time.

jspchief
If he develops into the player Romeo Crennel and the Chiefs hope, we are talking one of the top 3 NT's in all of football...

What? What exactly makes you think he has top 3 NT potential?

Chiefshrink
04-27-2012, 08:38 AM
since he has turned t-jack and dorsey into the second comings of reggie white i can see how you expect him to "coach up" poe! oh, that's right , they boht made some plays in college playing in a real conference. it is just another pioli "i am the smartest man in the room" pick. look at his terrible last 3 drafts in new england and his first terrible one in kc and decide if he is the genius that you were told theat he was when he came here.

I'm sure someone here wil take you to task on this statement.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 08:39 AM

His size and strength alone give him that potential.

Now if you want to discuss probability, then we're talking about a long shot.

suds79
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM

You can't deny he doesn't have the physical tools to possibly be that. I think that's what he was getting at.

Fact is there are just not many people in the world big enough & strong enough to play the nose in a 3-4.

Poe is one of those guys. Can he play? I don't know. We'll see. I do feel okay about the progress Tyson Jackson previously a bust has made under Romeo.

ChiefsNow
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM
BINGO !!

I think the fact that his motor is always going was the deciding factor IMO.

Measurables help but coaches have seen huge failed measurables before with guys that just don't have a motor for the game(Vernon Gholston as someone said earlier) and that can't be taught. Either you have it or you don't.

Pioli/Crennel saw a kid who not only had huge measurables but a motor that never quit and felt "Hell we can see he is poorly coached and we can take care of that" !!

zactly

ChiefMojo
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
His measurables are those that if he performs up to his potential, there may be no finer NT in football. Guys his size don't move like he does, so he has that going for him. This is where Romeo Crennel and Anthony Pleasant make their money!

TEX
04-27-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't care for the Poe pick. I was in favor of DeCastro and just shook my head as he fell to the Steelers.

If Poe doesn't work out - we will have the worst D-line, made up of # 1's, ever assembled...

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 08:48 AM
I don't care for the Poe pick. I was in favor of DeCastro and just shook my head as he fell to the Steelers.

If Poe doesn't work out - we will have the worst D-line, made up of # 1's, ever assembled...

Yep. This.

suds79
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM

If Poe works out, we finally have our NT and THE KEY PIECE in a 3-4 that we've been searching for.

If Poe is a complete bust? I think that could put Scott on the hot seat which might not be a bad thing for some people. I'm glad he didn't play it safe and gambled on a position that matters.

DeCastro is just a Guard. He could be great. He could be a bust. But you know what? He'll provide the same game changing ability that some guard taken in the 3rd will.

Brock
04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Decastro didn't fall, he was picked right around where he should have been.

L.A. Chieffan
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Tannehill was gone, Kuechly was gone, Barron was gone, what do you people want?

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Tannehill was gone, Kuechly was gone, Barron was gone, what do you people want?

Someone who played good college ball?

Ben N 58men
Poe sucks

Dayze
I cringe thinking about him getting walled at the LOS by a single man against fucking Temple.

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 08:56 AM
The reactions are predictable, and almost comical, due to the long build up to the pick.

It kind of reminds me of the Tyson Jackson pick, too high, but he should be a good addition to a position of need.

Not sexy, but the NT is not going to be, unless he blows up after some playing time.

Bwana
04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Hell, I don't know, I guess time is going to tell. I'm not "excited" about it, but I'm not blasting holes through the wall with the 12 gauge, thinking the world is over, either.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 08:59 AM
It kind of reminds me of the Tyson Jackson pick, too high, but he should be a good addition to a position of need.

These guys should be better than "good". Jackson should be Seymour for where he was drafted. Three top 11 picks on the DL - KC should have the #1 rush defense and those three guys should get more than 2 sacks a season combined.

Austin Ed
04-27-2012, 08:59 AM
I trust Romeo on this one. He knows the D-line in the NFL much better than anyone commenting on this page---and much better than Todd & Mel. I believe Romeo can turn Poe into a space eater who can't be knocked back off the LOS by double teams. That has been the problem with our NTs. Poe might not penetrate and make a lot of tackles but he should be able to clog the inside running lanes and protect the LBs. There may possibly be another bonus. With his size and speed, maybe Poe can be used part time as a fullback in a Jumbo Package near the goal line with Hillis running behind him. That package could also open up short passing options near the goal line as LBs and D-backs might feel they need to cheat up----Get a running start forward to meet Poe & Hillis.

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Worse than the Cleveland line of a few years ago? The one Shannahan reassembled in Denver, and it still sucked?
TJ actually played pretty well last year, and the defense ended up 11th without Berry.

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
These guys should be better than "good". Jackson should be Seymour for where he was drafted. Three top 11 picks on the DL - KC should have the #1 rush defense and those three guys should get more than 2 sacks a season combined.

If you read the entire post, I said "too high" and I agree, but at least they aren't busts.

So you are of a mind that these DEs should be getting sacks? That doesn't seem to be the opinion of most of the experts on here.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
If you read the entire post, I said "too high" and I agree, but at least they aren't busts.

So you are of a mind that these DEs should be getting sacks? That doesn't seem to be the opinion of most of the experts on here.

Why was Seymour able to get 8 sacks his first year playing DE in the Pats 34 defense? Was he doing it wrong?

Mr. Laz
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
No, not really.

But if Crennel can deliver on developing the guy then it's a home run.

boom ... bust

*crossing fingers*

Mr. Laz
04-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Poe has huge potential ... huge

hope to hell that Crennel can make it work

Micjones
04-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I was pretty upset about the pick yesterday, but I'm going to be open minded about it.
By all accounts, this kid has all of the talent and God-given ability to be a stud.
Whether or not Crennel and Pleasant can bring that out of him remains to be seen.

The need was addressed and at least on potential...this was a good pick.

Hopefully he proves EVERYBODY wrong. If he does...we just became a Top 5 Defense.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Poe has huge potential ... huge

Since when does 40 time and bench press reps equate to being a great NT? Is their any correlation?

Micjones
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Since when does 40 time and bench press reps equate to being a great NT? Is their any correlation?

There's no direct correlation, but strength and speed can't be taught.
Technique can...

So if he learns the position and you couple that with the rare blend of size/strength/speed, you'll have one hell of a football player.

Pestilence
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore with this FO.

FFS....these guys took McCluster.

durtyrute
04-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm good with it. I sure as shit didn't want 1Treehill.

suds79
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore with this FO.

FFS....these guys took McCluster.

I'm okay with this pick. I just think it could have been avoided though.

Passing on Cody twice in the 2nd taking McCluster & Arenas seems even more unforgivable now.

Oh well. Got to hit big on Poe now.

bricks
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad? But I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible.

I think the kid has talent. There are some things to feel good about. He has good burst off the ball. I like his combination of explosiveness, speed, agility and athleticism for a big man.

No doubt he has the size to play the position. 6'5" 350 and can run an unbelievably 4.98 40 time. That's pretty awesome. And not a lot of DLmen in the NFL can do that. I love his strength. Benching 225lbs 44 times at the combine is very impressive.

He has the strength, speed, agility, size and athleticism. That's a pretty good start. I feel better about the pick in knowing that we have one of the better DCs or DL coaches in Romeo to coach him up. With good coaching he may develop into a great player. Who knows? Only time will tell.

I don't feel good about the fact that he underachieved against inferior competition. But then, he was asked to play multiple roles in that defense. He was playing as a 5 tech, 4 tech, 3 tech, etc. So its not like he was asked to do one specific thing in that defense? It's hard to be dominating when you are asked to perform in multiple roles on a defense because you have to constantly adjust yourself to new roles and can never get comfortable. Because of that, it's impossible to master the NT position and for him to be raw is completely understandable.

He won't have that problem here. He will strictly be a NT. He has a lot of good tools and great coaching behind him. I have the confidence that Romeo will coach this kid up. Great coaching and exceptional talent go into this pick. That's what give me reason to believe and to be optimistic.

Bwana
04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
LMAO

This shit happens every year. We draft someone and it's sandy vag time in here for about 24-48 hours The new guy does a question and answer and a lot of people say "This guy sounds like a good guy, by God, I think I like him!

Training camp hits, there is a few warm and fuzzy articles about something good the player did and people are now in love with the guy!

Like I said, I think I'll wait and see.

Pestilence
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
LMAO

This shit happens every year. We draft someone and it's sandy vag time in here for about 24-48 hours The new guy does a question and answer and a lot of people say "This guy sounds like a good guy, by God, I think I like him!

Training camp hits, there is a few warm and fuzzy articles about something good the player did and people are now in love with the guy!

Like I said, I think I'll wait and see.

I posted this in another thread.....but I'm basically ok with the pick. He's got potential.....and now it's time for the coaching staff to tap that potential. At least they drafted a fucking NT.

Dayze
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm fine with it I suppose. But taking him there, Crennel better get this kids shit together quickly. None of this 3yrs to "learn to plat NT in the NFL" bullshit.

If he works out, great. If not, Pioli needs to be castrated and shipped out. Two reaches in the first for boom or bust players will be unacceptable. ....not that Clark gives a shit.

RUSH
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm not against the pick.

I just don't understand how in one breath Romeo says he played too many snaps and that's why he was blah on tape.

And then in the next breath say he will be used in sub packages thus making him a 3 down player. Are they referring to how bad Memphis' offense was?

Maybe I read something that wasn't true but it doesn't make much sense to me.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 10:09 AM

The bench press thing is actually pretty important. He's tremendously strong - one of the strongest players ever to work out at the combine.

That doesn't mean he will be a great NT but it absolutely says he has the potential to be one.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
I posted this in another thread.....but I'm basically ok with the pick. He's got potential.....and now it's time for the coaching staff to tap that potential. At least they drafted a ****ing NT.

Pretty much this. We passed on a fucking guard for sakes. I'm pissed we didn't get Hightower, but Belcher isn't that horrible. Its not like we passed on a franchise QB.

Otter
04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
If the Chiefs went out and got a legit 3-4 NT that could do the job it's a fantastic pick. Wait and see I guess.

Frosty
04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
The Chiefs reportedly passed on two offers to trade down. It's hard to believe that taking a huge boom or bust type player like Poe is better than trading down and taking someone productive like Decastro, Kirkpatrick, or one of the OLBs while still picking up someone like Ta'amu or Chapman later with the extra picks.

Detoxing
04-27-2012, 10:34 AM
The more i watch him, the less impressed i become.

There is a youtube video where he gets stood up one on one vs a RB.

Yes, our new dominant NT was stood up and stopped by a RB.

:facepalm:

ChiTown
04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
The more i watch him, the less impressed i become.

There is a youtube video where he gets stood up one on one vs a RB.

Yes, our new dominant NT was stood up and stopped by a RB.

:facepalm:

But, but, he can bench press a shit ton, and runs a 4.98 40!1!1!1!

bricks
04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Interesting, I was watching Poes Coverage on ESPN sportscenter and they compared him to Ngata coming out.

Poe pretty much beat Ngata in every single category. His 40 time is almost .2 seconds faster than Ngata. Poe ran a 40 in 4.98 seconds, Ngata 5.16 seconds. He benched 7 more reps in the 225lb bench press than Ngata did. Poe benched 225lbs 44 x's, Ngata did it 37 x's.

Poes 10 yard split is faster than Ngatas. Poes 10 yard split 1.68 seconds, Ngata 1.71 seconds. The only thing Ngata did that was better was his vertical jump. Ngatas vertical 31 1/2" and Poe was 29 1/2".

Poes numbers for the most part are better. And what's even more impressive is that, he is bigger than Ngata. But not by much. Well, he's got about 10 pounds up on him. Poe 6'5" 350. Ngata 6'4" 340. Don't know if that's much of a difference? All I know is that if we go by the combine numbers alone, Poe seems like the better athlete.

Detoxing
04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Interesting, I was watching Poes Coverage on ESPN sportscenter and they compared him to Ngata coming out.

Poe pretty much beat Ngata in every single category. His 40 time is almost .2 seconds faster than Ngata. Poe ran a 40 in 4.98 seconds, Ngata 5.16 seconds. He benched 7 more reps in the 225lb bench press than Ngata did. Poe benched 225lbs 44 x's, Ngata did it 37 x's.

Poes 10 yard split is faster than Ngatas. Poes 10 yard split 1.68 seconds, Ngata 1.71 seconds. The only thing Ngata did that was better was his vertical jump. Ngatas vertical 31 1/2" and Poe was 29 1/2".

Poes numbers for the most part are better. And what's even more impressive is that, he is bigger than Ngata. But not by much. Well, he's got about 10 pounds up on him. Poe 6'5" 350. Ngata 6'4" 340. Don't know if that's much of a difference? All I know is that if we go by the combine numbers alone, Poe seems like the better athlete.

Yes. He compares to Ngata. But, you know, with out the mean streak and production.

tredadda
04-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Well, it's only because he was surrounded by horrible talent. He played at a 1st team All American level you just couldn't see it because of the crap around him. He is a man among boys. Don't worry though, he will dominate NFL centers and guards because he benched 225 44 times! Oh and he's fast.!

tredadda
04-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Ummmm he benched 225 44 times and he is fast. That makes him a lock potential wise for the HOF. LMAO

ChiefRocka
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes. He compares to Ngata. But, you know, with out the mean streak and production.

When you play for a shit team, you tend to lose that "mean streak"

Ngata had a defense in Oregon.

**Bottom Line**
One of the best defensive minds in the NFL today signed off on him. That should be good enough for even the least competent fan.

bricks
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Do you think that is something coaches can develop or bring out of a player?

Or is that something that is uncoachable? Much like speed, a player either has it, or he doesn't.

bricks
04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
When you play for a shit team, you tend to lose that "mean streak"

Ngata had a defense in Oregon.

**Bottom Line**
One of the best defensive minds in the NFL today signed off on him. That should be good enough for even the least competent fan.

Warren Sapp loves the guy also. Thinks he can be a stud.

Reerun_KC
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Complete bust...

bricks
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Complete bust...

Way too early to make that call.

ChiTown
04-27-2012, 10:59 AM

:LOL:

Reaper16
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
My reaction:

http://i46.tinypic.com/27yv7lw.jpg

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Warren just wants to borrow some money from him.

KCDC
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
My reaction:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BuZOeVraB5Q/Tleml6i6ccI/AAAAAAAAALU/UYjTgF7ehck/s1600/scared-child-e1313063071272.jpg

tredadda
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Here is another issue I have with the Poe pick. We were a top 15 defense last year WITHOUT Berry! We averaged a whopping 13.3 points a game last year which was a franchise low and what does this team do about it? They draft a NT at #11 who is more potential than actual production. Granted this team did not have Charles, but we would not have been an elite offense even with him in there. Yes we needed a NT, but we could have addressed that in round 2 and gotten a player that might not have Poe's "boom" potential, but at the same time doesn't have his "bust" potential either.

bricks
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Warren just wants to borrow some money from him.

LMAO nice

suds79
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
but we could have addressed that in round 2 and gotten a player that might not have Poe's "boom" potential, but at the same time doesn't have his "bust" potential either.

It'll all make sense once we take a QB in round 2. ;)

Can't make that pick without Poe in the 1st. Ta'amu would have been a must pick at that point.

I don't know. Grasping at straws.

Detoxing
04-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Or is that something that is uncoachable? Much like speed, a player either has it, or he doesn't.

I think play makers make plays. I don't care that he had to switch positions constantly. With that kind of size and athletic ability, he should've been dominating C-USA. Not only did he not dominate, he was barely even noticeable. If my #1 pick (11 Overall) is going to come from C-USA, He had better have been a MAN among boys. He was a boy among boys.

Matt Cassel will never be a great QB, no matter how much coaching he gets. The talent just ins't there. If you were to look at him on paper, you could convince yourself that he has what it takes to be a great NFL QB.

I view Poe in the same light. Sure, the kid looks like an NFL player on paper, but it doesn't show itself on the field. And that's because the Talent just isn't there. And no amount of coaching is going to make him more talented.

But at least with Cassel, he came from a big time program with big time coaches, and he still went in the 7th.

I think we got the worst pick in the 1st round.

jspchief
04-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Or is that something that is uncoachable? Much like speed, a player either has it, or he doesn't.I prefer to not have to teach the 11th overall pick how to play football.

Those types of guys are typically referred to as "projects" and get drafted on day 3.