PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs passed on two opportunities to trade down

Chocolate Hog
04-27-2012, 02:27 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-passed-on-two-opportunities-to-trade-down/eb7d84fe-57f1-44d3-bf4f-441d7477d5a9

Kansas City didn't want to risk trading down and losing its chance to select Dontari Poe

Thursday night’s trade bonanza could have included the Chiefs, but Kansas City declined two invitations to join the party.

An unprecedented six of the first seven draft slots were traded before the Chiefs went on the clock with the 11th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Nine of the first 14 picks would eventually be dealt before the round closed with 14 of 32 picks being traded.

Nearly half of all first-round picks traded hands operating under the guidelines of the new CBA and its rookie wage scale. The Chiefs could have pushed the total over the 50% mark, but tabled two offers to trade down before selecting nose tackle Dontari Poe out of Memphis.

“We felt that if we moved back a little too far, even though we were getting some extra currency in extra picks, we felt that (Dontari) was the right player for us,” Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said. “We didn’t want to move too far away from him and risk the chance of not being able to get him.”

Prior to the draft, trading down was the move many predicted the Chiefs might choose.

Kansas City was sitting in a unique draft slot because of fifth-year financials tied to rookie contracts and because of Pioli’s history in trading down to acquire more picks. Pioli talked at length last week about the wide-open potential for trading up or down from the No. 11 spot.

Last year, the Chiefs traded down and acquired an additional third-round pick used to select Mack Lee Hill Rookie of the Year winner Justin Houston.

“Part of what goes into the draft is strategy in trying to understand what the other teams are going to do,” Pioli said. “We never know exactly what they are going to do, but we didn’t want to take the risk of losing out on this player.”

Part of Poe’s appeal wasn’t just his ranking on the Chiefs Draft Board or the team’s need for a prototypical nose tackle. Poe is also one of the few pure nose tackles with ability to play in both base and sub-package sets.

Poe lined up in multiple defensive fronts during his three seasons at Memphis and was often on the field for more than 50 snaps per game.

“If you watch tape, you can see that this guy is a strong player, he’s a thick player and he’s a tremendous athlete,” Pioli said. “I think one of the things that you get to see on tape is his hustle, how hard he plays. This is a big man who is playing almost every snap of every game with a team and in a situation where they’re losing a lot of football games.

“No matter what the score is and what the situation is, this guy is going 100 miles an hour, even in the fourth quarter. I think that has something to do with how we feel about his makeup.”

With the increased demand in nickel and dime personnel to counter four and five wide receiver sets, finding three-down interior defensive linemen has become incredibly difficult.

“When we go to our four-man front in our sub situations, one area that we wanted to improve was the inside pass rush,” Pioli explained. “Now we’ve got another big body in there that has dynamic physical skills.

“We have a couple of players that can play the inside now with Allen Bailey and Dontari, and outside you have Justin (Houston) and Tamba (Hali).”

Memphis’ scattered use of Poe may have hurt his college production, but it likely increased his draft standing. There is film on Poe playing nearly every technique on the defensive line and the Chiefs charted each play from his 2011 season.

“You have to force a player on your inside to play the run in sub-package sets, which was a problem for us last year,” Pioli explained. “When we were in our sub packages teams ran against us and we had our struggles.

“But now you’ve also got a player that maybe if he’s lining up on the same side as Tamba, who is creating a real threat and having to take up bodies, that it helps the g

Chocolate Hog
04-27-2012, 02:27 AM
ROFL

Guru
04-27-2012, 02:32 AM
JFC

Count Zarth
04-27-2012, 02:35 AM
http://www.msnle.com/ag/jack_sad.gif

Fruit Ninja
04-27-2012, 02:38 AM
hopefully this dude doesnt bust, because the ONLY way the Chiefs have a chance to do anything good is with an insane defense. The offense sure isnt going to bail the team out.

Guru
04-27-2012, 02:43 AM
hopefully this dude doesnt bust, because the ONLY way the Chiefs have a chance to do anything good is with an insane defense. The offense sure isnt going to bail the team out.

When Daboll spoke to the crowd tonight he said we are going to be aggressive and play to our strengths. I took that to mean we are going to throw a lot of dump passes and run up the middle.

Fruit Ninja
04-27-2012, 02:46 AM
When Daboll spoke to the crowd tonight he said we are going to be aggressive and play to our strengths. I took that to mean we are going to throw a lot of dump passes and run up the middle.

lol, hand the ball off play action and hope Cassel doesnt throw a interception. Pisses me off so much that our ceiling on offense is hey Cassel dont fuck it up! I want my QB to take the ball and make plays, not fuck it up.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 04:11 AM
good thing we didn't trade down...

rad
04-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Who's the "g"?

ChiefGator
04-27-2012, 04:18 AM
“...,” Pioli said. “...This is a big man who is playing almost every snap of every game with a team and in a situation where they’re losing a lot of football games.

Oh, good.. With our current QB he is going to feel right at home.

ChiefGator
04-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Who's the "g"?

G is for Gangstah. Now, if it was OG, that would be Original Gangstah.

Not that I'm racist, of course.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-27-2012, 06:43 AM
You've created more butthurt

-King-
04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
The run on DTs shows that he was likely going to be picked by a team right behind us.

Toad
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Did I miss something in the article? I did not see any evidence that the Chiefs had offers to trade down.

I know they won't reveal, but I would sure like to know what offers (if any)were on the table.

chop
04-27-2012, 09:08 AM
First I hear the lack of production was due to the fact that he was misused by Memphis. It was reported that he was put in at too many positions and he could never just learn and become good at just one. Now I hear they like him because he can play so many positions.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Did I miss something in the article? I did not see any evidence that the Chiefs had offers to trade down.

You think the official site of the Kansas City Chiefs is going to allow an article to be posted on its cover page that says "Chiefs passed on two opportunities to trade down" if it wasn't true?

I love the video they have of Hunt welcoming Poe to Kansas City and telling him he's going to love living their. Doesn't Hunt live in Texas?

Micjones
04-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Can't bash Pioli for never taking a chance on a player on one hand and vilify him for finally doing so on the other.
If they truly believe in the kid...they did the right thing standing flat-footed and selecting him.

He's a boom or bust prospect. I'm hoping it's the former.
At least we can say he has the tools to become a great football player.
It's up to Crennel and Pleasant to make sure that happens.

durtyrute
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Can't bash Pioli for never taking a chance on a player on one hand and vilify him for finally doing so on the other.
If they truly believe in the kid...they did the right thing standing flat-footed and selecting him.

This....

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM

pioli takes chances on players all the time, what strawman are you talking about?

he's being railed on for drafting a player who accomplished nothing in one of the worst god damn leagues in college football....

that fact may be inconvenient, but it is the truth...

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM
If he was their guy all along, which by all indications he was, then you can't fault them for taking him. You may dislike him or not have wanted him, but I'd rather them take the guy they WANT then settle for a guy or trade down and miss out on the their top target.

DaFace
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I may have to take a break from this place. We finally draft a guy in a position we've been weak at since Herm came to town, and all anyone can do is bitch about it. :shake:

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I may have to take a break from this place. We finally draft a guy in a position we've been weak at since Herm came to town, and all anyone can do is bitch about it. :shake:

People are going to bitch about anything.

durtyrute
04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
....but all of the football "experts" on here say he will suck.

Boo fucking hoo, if you don't like it, start your own league.

durtyrute
04-27-2012, 09:38 AM

That's the same thing I was thinking

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Yeah, and this was the key point to me, beyond his freakish physical make up.

“No matter what the score is and what the situation is, this guy is going 100 miles an hour, even in the fourth quarter. I think that has something to do with how we feel about his makeup.”

It kind of fits with UltraPeanut's take as well.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
“If you watch tape, you can see that this guy is a strong player, he’s a thick player and he’s a tremendous athlete,” Pioli said. “I think one of the things that you get to see on tape is his hustle, how hard he plays. This is a big man who is playing almost every snap of every game with a team and in a situation where they’re losing a lot of football games.

THIS quote from Pioli gives me hope that Poe won't be the next Sims or Siavi.

Motor, playing every play....even when you are losing in the fourth quarter means a lot on the DLine. Tamba and Jared Allen are the only guys we've had recently that seemed to bring that to the table on a consistent basis. Am I wrong???

The question is: can Poe become the next Haloti Ngata?

If not Ngata....please, Lord....at least make him the next Chester McGlockton. :cuss:

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM

There were only two players in the draft this place would have accepted without this type of reaction, and they went 1 and 2.

It is what it is, CP.

GoChiefs is the funniest of all, the very guy that was pointing out just how well Tyson Jackson was grading out this season.

But then again, he never found a side an issue that he couldn't waffle to eventually.

Micjones
04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
pioli takes chances on players all the time, what strawman are you talking about?

he's being railed on for drafting a player who accomplished nothing in one of the worst god damn leagues in college football....

that fact may be inconvenient, but it is the truth...

He's taking a chance on a player who, if he can assimilate Crennel/Pleasant's coaching, will be a stud at this level.

No one doubts his God-given physical talent.

We can debate whether or not he was properly used at Memphis.
We can debate whether or not the lack of stability affected his performance.
We can debate whether or not those gifts will translate to the NFL.

What is NOT open for debate is that this kid is a physical specimen who has all the tools in the world to succeed.

You can pretend you know he'll bust. Half of this forum said the same things about Tamba Hali in 2006.

Mayock likes the kid and thinks he could play very good football in the future.
Warren Sapp loves the kid and thinks the same.

They've both forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.

jjchieffan
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM

I agree. This board has been screaming for a nose tackle in The early round the last two years. How many people wanted our 6th round nose tackle who showed very little last year, as early as the second round? I think Pioli may actually know more than a bunch of internet posters.

Pestilence
04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
I've grown to be ok with the pick. They obviously weren't looking at taking an OLB with that pick. Barron was gone.

Poe has potential. It's now up this coaching staff to tap that potential.

mlyonsd
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
I've grown to be ok with the pick. They obviously weren't looking at taking an OLB with that pick. Barron was gone.

Poe has potential. It's now up this coaching staff to tap that potential.This. I'm over it. I'll save my next hissy fit for tonight.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Maycock and Sapp's endorsement also give me hope this will work out.

A lot of the draft speak around him seem eerily similar to BJ Raji and Phil Taylor coming out of college; if it turns out the same way, this is a score. If not, it's another swing-and-a-miss for Pioli.

Steron
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I was meh on this pick as soon as it was made. Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Richardson, Barron, and Kuechly were all gone when we picked. I said it in another thread that Poe is a boom or bust type pick. We have to hope RC can coach him into a boom.

Toad
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
You think the official site of the Kansas City Chiefs is going to allow an article to be posted on its cover page that says "Chiefs passed on two opportunities to trade down" if it wasn't true?

I love the video they have of Hunt welcoming Poe to Kansas City and telling him he's going to love living their. Doesn't Hunt live in Texas?

Many teams thow out propoganda for various reasons.

That said, they may well have had some opps to trade down, but I think it is soft reporting to say they 'passed on 2 opps' in the title then not mention any further details in the article.

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
THIS quote from Pioli gives me hope that Poe won't be the next Sims or Siavi.

Motor, playing every play....even when you are losing in the fourth quarter means a lot on the DLine. Tamba and Jared Allen are the only guys we've had recently that seemed to bring that to the table on a consistent basis. Am I wrong???

The question is: can Poe become the next Haloti Ngata?

If not Ngata....please, Lord....at least make him the next Chester McGlockton. :cuss:

Q

whoman69
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Many teams thow out propoganda for various reasons.

That said, they may well have had some opps to trade down, but I think it is soft reporting to say they 'passed on 2 opps' in the title then not mention any further details in the article.

Pioli is the one that gave the figure. Nobody asked who it was or what the details were, only that they were trading down far enough that they would lose Poe.

Toad
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Pioli is the one that gave the figure. Nobody asked who it was or what the details were, only that they were trading down far enough that they would lose Poe.

Got it. Thanks. Did he say that in a presser?

crazycoffey
04-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Isn't it a peach?

give this crowd a gold brick and they'll bitch about the shape.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
So we missed out on what, some third day picks? Who cares?

morphius
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
And we are going to need a guy who can play every down when we go against Manning, because he isn't going to let you change personal just because it is 3rd and long.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Isn't it a peach?

give this crowd a gold brick and they'll bitch about the shape.

With Cox sitting there, taking Poe is stupid. I was really, really happy with the Poe pick. Poe-pick goood.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
With Cox sitting there, taking Poe is stupid. I was really, really happy with the Poe pick. Poe-pick goood.Cox is a DE in our defense and we already have two starters, we didn't have a starting NT.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Cox is a DE in our defense and we already have two starters, we didn't have a starting NT.

dude, take best player available regardless. Cox is a DT with upside, so what if kc does not have a "true" NT. Poe didn't play as a true NT in college so wtf is Pioli saying when he claims Poe is a "true NT."

I'll tell you what Pioli is saying: "he looks like a NT to me, therefore I'll take him!"

Munson
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I'd like to know which teams tried to trade up to our pick, and what they offered in return.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
dude, take best player available regardless. Cox is a DT with upside, so what if kc does not have a "true" NT. Poe didn't play as a true NT in college so wtf is Pioli saying when he claims Poe is a "true NT."

I'll tell you what Pioli is saying: "he looks like a NT to me, therefore I'll take him!"

Oh no, a Bronco homer doesn't like the Chiefs pick, must mean it was a damn good pick, to make you get so defensive about it. If I thought you were sincere I'd discuss it, but you sound like sour grapes at this moment in time and I've got to prep for the draft. Ice down a few and chill.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh no, a Bronco homer doesn't like the Chiefs pick, must mean it was a damn good pick, to make you get so defensive about it. If I thought you were sincere I'd discuss it, but you sound like sour grapes at this moment in time and I've got to prep for the draft. Ice down a few and chill.

Actually, look at post #41 chief. I'm loving the Poe pick.

Rausch
04-27-2012, 04:45 PM

To me this is like defending the KKK's right to freedom of speech.

I couldn't disagree more but I defend your freedom to do and say what you think is right no matter how wrong it is.

We hired the guy. Most everyone loved the fucking hire. Living with what he does after that is just part of the agreement...