PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs draft Memphis nose tackle

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Poe-tential: Chiefs draft Memphis nose tackle (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/26/3579154/chiefs-see-huge-potential-in-first.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel sat in front of a group of skeptics and seemed almost giddy. He had his man, nose tackle Dontari Poe, and said it had nothing to do with Poe’s performance at February’s NFL scouting combine.

Honest. Well, almost nothing.

“Running 4.9 (seconds), now,” Crennel said of Poe’s time in the 40-yard dash, “not all 350-pound guys can do that.”

The Chiefs selected Poe, a stranger even to many who live in southwestern Tennessee before becoming the superstar of the combine, with the No. 11 overall pick in the NFL Draft on Thursday night.

“Never coached, never been around a big guy with his type of talent,” said Mike DuBose, Poe’s defensive line coach at Memphis and a former head coach at Alabama. “… With Dontari, because of the circumstances around him, I think he’s just learning to play this game.”

Before he learned the game, as a stout ninth-grader at southeast Memphis’ Wooddale High, Poe played bass drum in the band. Then the school’s football coach, Cedric Miller, passed him one day — you can’t help but notice someone that big — and asked Poe why he was toting a drum and not stretching out a football jersey.

The kid gave it a try, and that was that. Poe went on to Memphis and, although he finished his junior season in 2011 with just one sack, emerged as a potential first-round NFL pick. It all started with a bass drum and a chance encounter.

“Being in the band taught me discipline,” Poe said Thursday night, shifting his words toward football. “It was kind of new going into it, but I kind of caught on quick.”

That’s what DuBose said Poe does well: He gets up to speed quickly. And that’s what the Chiefs will need him to do. The Chiefs gambled on Poe, who the skeptics panned as a combine wonder who underachieved in college, and who his supporters insist was simply not asked to make big plays at Memphis. The talent, DuBose said, is there; specializing him as a nose tackle, as the Chiefs plan to do, will reveal it.

“I don’t think he’s a polished football player, by any means,” DuBose said. “I don’t think that’s Dontari’s fault; I think that’s our fault.”

Unable to make a lasting impression in college, Poe said Thursday, he began training in Arizona after his junior season — waiting for his chance to grab NFL evaluators’ attention. He grew stronger and faster before his time came at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, every pro prospect’s most important job interview.

Poe, at 346 pounds, completed 44 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He broad-jumped 8 feet, 9 inches and completed the shuttle run in 4.56 seconds.

Crennel said the Chiefs liked Poe even before his combine performance. Crennel is a former defensive line coach, and the team’s biggest hole in 2011 was, by far, at nose tackle. Poe’s combine performance just solidified their interest. But it also threatened to put Poe out of the Chiefs’ reach.

“All of the reports that they had on the guy,” Crennel said of the Chiefs’ evaluations, “talked about how good he was as a player and his ability, and those reports came before the combine. Now, when we went to the combine and saw what he did at the combine, that perked our ears more.”

Afterward, Poe was no longer a secret. Instead, he was a specimen: a giant who could move like a ballet dancer. Crennel said Thursday that, more than anything, the uptick in attention caused concern inside the Chiefs’ front office. What if the team’s work would be wasted? What if all the chatter meant the Chiefs would now miss out on him?

So when the 11th pick arrived Thursday, a moment of peace amid a first round to that point filled with trades and chaos, the Chiefs and Crennel made good on all that preparation. Crennel couldn’t contain his excitement.

“I think we’re going to see a really good player,” the coach said.

Now that it’s done, Poe just has to make good on the idea that the combine wasn’t his ceiling, but rather a sign of a work ethic and untapped potential that aren’t often seen.

“Like I’ve told everyone else,” Poe said, “my motivation is pretty much unlimited right now. I’m so ready to just get in and prove to them that I belong here, and I belong at the next level.”

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Definitely a need-first pick, rather than a value-first pick.

The Chiefs, under Pioli, never cease to surprise.

The upside is that they are so uncommitted to any one way of evaluating players they clearly avoid tunnel vision.

They treat the scouting process like an art, not a science. Every prospect is evaluated on their own terms.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 05:17 AM
“I don’t think he’s a polished football player, by any means,” DuBose said. “I don’t think that’s Dontari’s fault; I think that’s our fault.”

so...you suck as a coach is the reason he was a mediocre player in an 8 man football league?

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 05:19 AM
and i wake up to the pick being trashed on espn....

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 05:20 AM
so...you suck as a coach is the reason he was a mediocre player in an 8 man football league?

Sounds like it.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 05:21 AM
Sounds like it.

sounds like bullshit

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 05:29 AM
sounds like bullshit

TTC is willing to stake his reputation on Memphis being a supremely coached football factory.

KCtotheSB
04-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Dontari Poe is my favorite Chiefs player to come out of the 2012 NFL Draft.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 05:47 AM
TTC is willing to stake his reputation on Memphis being a supremely coached football factory.

i willing to stake my reputation on the fact that the #11 pick in the draft doesn't need Bear Bryant to dominate against scrubs in one of the worst leagues on the planet...

but thanks for trying to make something up...your dishonesty is charming

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 05:51 AM
i willing to stake my reputation on the fact that the #11 pick in the draft doesn't need Bear Bryant to dominate against scrubs in one of the worst leagues on the planet...

but thanks for trying to make something up...your dishonesty is charming

I'd love to know his leg press. I don't know enough about his attitude and persona, either.

If he's got a monster leg press, he's got a very good shot.

But the attitude is what's going to make or break him. Nose tackle in the two-gap is so physically demanding. He better have that Jerrell Powe attitude where he couldn't be happier to just wrestle in the phone booth.

I like his endurance. Not a lot of nose tackles have that degree of endurance.

The elements are there. It will take three full years of development before we know what we have here.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 05:53 AM
I'd love to know his leg press. I don't know enough about his attitude and persona, either.

But the attitude is what's going to make or break him. Nose tackle in the two-gap is so physically demanding. He better have that Jerrell Powe attitude where he couldn't be happier to just wrestle in the phone booth.

i hope he pans out too

but no one can tell me did anything in college to deserve being picked here

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 05:54 AM
i hope he pans out too

I'm pretty sure nobody's trying to. Not even the Chiefs or the guy's own coaches.

So.

milkman
04-27-2012, 05:56 AM
i hope he pans out too

That's the problem.

If he were actually giving the effort that Pioli and Crennel are trying to sell us that they saw on tape, how does a physical freak like that not dominate the cub scout league he played in?

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:00 AM
That's the problem.

If he were actually giving the effort that Pioli and Crennel are trying to sell us that they saw on tape, how does a physical freak like that not dominate the cub scout league he played in?

that's the point i've been trying to make...you can't say this guy is a combine monster with a motor that never stopped and then say 'but he did jack shit in shitty league"

doesn't add up

but at least drafting NTs with no production isn't risky....

farmerchief
04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
I don't really know how I feel about the pick? The players I thought the chiefs were targeting, linebacker,safety,corner went before them. The only other choice, imo, was a guard or Poe.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 06:49 AM
I was really down on the pick, however, there's some factors here that only show up on tape. Guy played 60 snaps a game, which is a ton. Conference USA is a complete passing conference. I read a crazy star last night that 49% of the passes were bubble screens or quick hitch type passes.

The problem I have is all we heard from the Chiefs is Bpa but in the end it was all about need.

I'm willing to be patient with him.

eazyb81
04-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Definitely a need-first pick, rather than a value-first pick.

The Chiefs, under Pioli, never cease to surprise.

The upside is that they are so uncommitted to any one way of evaluating players they clearly avoid tunnel vision.

They treat the scouting process like an art, not a science. Every prospect is evaluated on their own terms.

This is what's so interesting to me.

Dontari Poe is essentially the exact opposite of what we thought Pioli looked for in the draft.

He's a boom or bust underachieving product that was more impressive in the combine than on the field.

So does this mean that the Poe pick is all Crennel? Does it mean that we are desperate for a NT and are willing to gamble? Or does it mean Pioli is flexible and he really doesn't have a "type" of player?

Very interesting. I would have lost a ton of money in a bet, because I wouldn't have thought Poe would even be on Pioli's list for the #11 pick.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm going to say one last thing about poe, and then get over it...I hope he's the monster we've wanted at NT

what really hacks me off, way more than reaching for a combine star, is the justifications I've seen that 'at least he's a need'....

it's totally cool to take a 'risk' at a position of 'need'....for a NT

but leading up to this draft, and every other draft going back to forever, scads of people argue the exact opposite about QBs...you can't take risks for a QB...

and that attitude permeates this organization, and pioli specifically, as well...they're fine going to YEAR 5 with Cassel (which is going to happen)...because, you know, QBs are risky to draft in the first

but we'll burn a #11 on a ZERO production combine champion without batting an eye...

we're never going to address the most crying need on this team....we just aren't

Bane
04-27-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm going to say one last thing about poe, and then get over it...I hope he's the monster we've wanted at NT

what really hacks me off, way more than reaching for a combine star, is the justifications I've seen that 'at least he's a need'....

but leading up to this draft, and every other draft going back to forever, scads of people argue the exact opposite about QBs...you can't take risks for a QB...

and that attitude permeates this organization, and pioli specifically, as well...they're fine going to YEAR 5 with Cassel (which is going to happen)...because, you know, QBs are risky to draft in the first

but we'll burn a #11 on a ZERO production combine champion without batting an eye...

we're never going to address the most crying need on this team....we just aren't

:thumb:

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Not when we continually have general managers that are so fucking stubborn that they will go to endless lengths to defend the shitbags we have.

I'm with you. The roster is SB ready, except for the QB, which means it's about 8-8 ready.

It's maddening they continue to try to sell us on the Cassel.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 07:27 AM

That's fine, but what were the options this year? You were willing to trade up to #7 for a qb that is a huge reach anyway?

I don't care if Poe fills a need. If the chiefs drafted decastro, THAT would be a needs based pick. I am ok with the pick because they picked a guy that plays a position of high positional value. We can bitch about th qb all we want and rightfully so, but given our options... To throw away an entire draft for rgIII or to trade up on a qb that should be a late first rounder....

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
To throw away an entire draft for rgIII or to trade up on a qb that should be a late first rounder....

would be 'risky?'

LMAO

it never ends with you guys....'positional value' is just code for need...it's basically parody at this point

locomoulds
04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
A link about Poe:

http://draftcountdown.com/blog/archive/oct11.php#oct28

Read down to Oct 28th entry, Includes a video about Poe

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2012, 07:34 AM
A link about Poe:

http://draftcountdown.com/blog/archive/oct11.php#oct28

Read down to Oct 28th entry, Includes a video about Poe

Even though Poe doesn’t get a lot of press there are many in the scouting community that are stamping sure-fire first round grades on the gigantic defensive lineman. If there was ever a perfect example of the “Planet Theory”, which holds that there are only so many people on Earth with a certain unique blend of size and athleticism, it is Poe!

hence, it doesn't surprise me that much

YayMike
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I was really down on the pick, however, there's some factors here that only show up on tape. Guy played 60 snaps a game, which is a ton. Conference USA is a complete passing conference. I read a crazy star last night that 49% of the passes were bubble screens or quick hitch type passes.

The problem I have is all we heard from the Chiefs is Bpa but in the end it was all about need.

I'm willing to be patient with him.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but who in your opinion was the BPA when we were on the clock?

WhiteWhale
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
He's pretty much going to get the Tamba Hali treatment.

The sad thing is that even a great NT prospect is going to struggle as a rookie trying to play NT. This guy is going to take a beating, just like Hali, even if he does become a good player because fans didn't want him.

I'm not really a fan of the pick, but you all are kinda drama queens.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 07:36 AM
would be 'risky?'

LMAO

it never ends with you guys....'positional value' is just code for need...it's basically parody at this point

These drones still think you can win with a marginal QB. You never "throw your whole draft away" for the most important position in sports.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 07:36 AM
would be 'risky?'

LMAO

You're an idiot. Drafting a guard to draft a guard is filling a need because you took the safe pick. Low upside, low ability to impact your team, but he will play the position well.

Weve complained for years that we won't take a risk on a qb or nt because they're too risky. One down, one to go. I don't know why you're complaining about not taking a risk on a qb and justifying it by getting upset that we took a risk on an unpolished nose tackle. We needed to take a risk on either of those.

WhiteWhale
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Okay, so I've gathered that everyone wanted us to pick a QB at 11 from all the bitching.

Who?

YayMike
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Not when we continually have general managers that are so ****ing stubborn that they will go to endless lengths to defend the shitbags we have.

I'm with you. The roster is SB ready, except for the QB, which means it's about 8-8 ready.

It's maddening they continue to try to sell us on the Cassel.

This is really a great point, take a risk at NT (Poe), take a risk at WR (Baldwin), but don't take a risk at QB??? I don't get it. Even if we take a QB today, it will be a second tier QB and we will fart through another season where the defense is wasted.

There isn't a QB left in this draft that we could take that would make me say, "You know Scott, you really are trying to win it all this year, and you realize that Cassel is a peice of shit. Good job."

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but who in your opinion was the BPA when we were on the clock?

Good question.

My bpa would have been Dre Kirkpatrick. Fletcher Cox too, but I was completely against yet another 5 tech.

I see why they did it. I think the run on Barron and the BC linebacker pushed the player likely to the bpa for the Chiefs.

I don't hate it as much as I did last night.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
These drones still think you can win with a marginal QB. You never "throw your whole draft away" for the most important position in sports.

I've said many times before that I would trade redskins compensation for rgIII. To make up for falling back 5 more spots we would have to have given up an insane amount of picks. I support an aggressive move for a great qb but it's ridiculous to pretend there isn't a ceiling.

DeepSouth
04-27-2012, 07:41 AM
I see him being defensive rookie of the year.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM

By the way, I would love to draft osweiler and even if we draft him, trade up next year for a guy like Tyler Wilson. And yes, I think we can get Wilson for less than redskins compensation even if we end up at pick 20.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I've said many times before that I would trade redskins compensation for rgIII. To make up for falling back 5 more spots we would have to have given up an insane amount of picks. I support an aggressive move for a great qb but it's ridiculous to pretend there isn't a ceiling.

What's the floor? We end up with no playoff wins? We should be taking lots of risks. The RGIII one was never an option, but the Chiefs should be far more aggressive trying to secure a QB instead of going after retread after retread.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
By the way, I would love to draft osweiler and even if we draft him, trade up next year for a guy like Tyler Wilson. And yes, I think we can get Wilson for less than redskins compensation even if we end up at pick 20.

How do you know what compensation we will need when the next draft is 364 days away?

That's lunacy.

beach tribe
04-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Even his own coach says he was poorly coached.
Now he gets Crennel.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 07:48 AM
How do you know what compensation we will need when the next draft is 364 days away?

That's lunacy.

Unlike this year, while there are no Andrew lucks, there will be more qbs who project to be better than tannehill. I think a lot of the desperation for rgIII was because they knew he was the last legit top 15 pick left. It was an interesting year where there was a very low supply of qbs and a very high demand from qb starved teams. Qb desperate teams, rather. You won't have nearly that kind of desperation next year.

And again, once you move out of the top 5,the trade value chart becomes very reasonable no matter where you trade up from. So if a good first round qb slips out of the top 5, the chiefs can trade up from way back and not have to give up outrageous compensation.

beach tribe
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
I see him being defensive rookie of the year.

Sloww down. I wouldn't expect a whole lot right out of the gate.

eazyb81
04-27-2012, 07:51 AM

He reportedly squats 700 pounds.

beach tribe
04-27-2012, 07:51 AM
As a matter of fact, he's probably going to look like shit for a while, and the people who were against the pick will be like "SEE SEE. BUST!!!"

mcaj22
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
As a matter of fact, he's probably going to look like shit for a while, and the people who were against the pick will be like "SEE SEE. BUST!!!"

only idiots that will think this are the people that expect him to be some Haolti Ngata type talent and are drinking the kool-aid.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
You're an idiot. Drafting a guard to draft a guard is filling a need because you took the safe pick. Low upside, low ability to impact your team, but he will play the position well.

Weve complained for years that we won't take a risk on a qb or nt because they're too risky. One down, one to go. I don't know why you're complaining about not taking a risk on a qb and justifying it by getting upset that we took a risk on an unpolished nose tackle. We needed to take a risk on either of those.

i'm just calliing you on your bs...

it's funny now

NT = risk ok
QB = oh noes, risky!

Nightfyre
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I'll give him three years before I call him a bust. But I still hate the pick.

eazyb81
04-27-2012, 07:58 AM

Meh, who really knows. People said the same about Phil Taylor last year and he had a monster rookie season.

Poe could barely play next year or he could dominate the running game when given direction and coaching. Nothing would surprise me.

mcaj22
04-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Meh, who really knows. People said the same about Phil Taylor last year and he had a monster rookie season.

Poe could barely play next year or he could dominate the running game when given direction and coaching. Nothing would surprise me.

Phil Taylor was awful last year lol

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
i'm just calliing you on your bs...

it's funny now

NT = risk ok
QB = oh noes, risky!

When did I say a qb is risky? I would Gladly take a risk... But there is a ceiling to how many draft picks I'd give up and it has to be a qb I believe in. RgIII was way out of our reach and I don't have any faith whatsoever in tannehiill. Thing about nose tackle is... If we reach on Poe and he ends up being a sold but unspectacular nose tackle, that's fine. If tannehill is solid but unspectacular, that's not okay.

WV
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't really know how I feel about the pick? The players I thought the chiefs were targeting, linebacker,safety,corner went before them. The only other choice, imo, was a guard or Poe.

Kind of the boat I'm in as well.

Count Alex's Losses
04-27-2012, 08:02 AM

Pioli isn't going to be here to see Poe turn into the player he won't be.

suds79
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I've never had such a weird mash up of being giddy & pissed off all at the same time.

Excited to make several "Here comes the Poe, Powe." jokes. :P (there's 1) And excited to finally quit talking about this team needing a NT. The Chiefs have their guy. Going to sink or swim with him. He has the size and strength to play the position. It's a gamble that's for sure.

Pissed off probably because the odds are against him not really showing much in college.

Rausch
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
What's the floor? We end up with no playoff wins? We should be taking lots of risks. The RGIII one was never an option, but the Chiefs should be far more aggressive trying to secure a QB instead of going after retread after retread.

We have two young QB's on roster. I don't think Quinn is going to save this franchise but I also don't think he got a real shot on a $#itty Cleveland team. He could end up a respectable qb or even a solid no 2 in time. At least he has a legit NFL Arm.

And it doesn't matter how many young QB's we draft if we never give one of them a shot. Instead of fucking around with Orton/Palko we should have thrown Stanzi out there for an audition. At least then you have a better idea of what the guy's got...

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
only idiots that will think this are the people that expect him to be some Haolti Ngata type talent and are drinking the kool-aid.

Why shouldn't we expect him to be Ngata?

The pundits and scouts have been saying for weeks that he compares to Ngata yet we're not allowed to make the comparison?

He was the #11 overall pick. He better start Day 1 and he better not suck.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Seymour 2.0
Black Wes Welker
Iowa Brady
Baby Ngata
Championship

mcaj22
04-27-2012, 08:07 AM

The pundits and scouts have been saying for weeks that he compares to Ngata yet we're not allowed to make the comparison?

just like our #3 overall pick in Tyson Jackson

and our #5 overall pick in Glenn Dorsey

he will take YEARS to figure it out. Tyson Jackson is STILL trying to figure it out and that dude was selected THIRD in an entire draft.

That's just our luck with d-line. We don't get that game changer d-lineman like they are so desperately trying to find. I still remember when T-Jax was selected and EVERYONE on here called him RICHARD FUCKING SEYMOUR. It's 3 years later and he is FAR from Richard Seymour type talent. Like not even close. I expect the same from Poe. He will learn to just be okay, hold the point, stop the run, more of the same like Jackson and Dorsey. Still will only have Hali and maybe Houston struggling to rush the edges because no d-lineman can push

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Didn't you know?

mcaj22's youtube game tape > Mayock pouring over real game film

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 08:09 AM
We have two young QB's on roster. I don't think Quinn is going to save this franchise but I also don't think he got a real shot on a $#itty Cleveland team. He could end up a respectable qb or even a solid no 2 in time. At least he has a legit NFL Arm.

And it doesn't matter how many young QB's we draft if we never give one of them a shot. Instead of ****ing around with Orton/Palko we should have thrown Stanzi out there for an audition. At least then you have a better idea of what the guy's got...

quinn is on a 1 year contract, he was signed because he was cheap

we don't have dick at QB on this roster

YayMike

I expect him to start, but struggle. Here's my thing. Even if he sucks he's gotta be an improvement over what we had last year while he learns. Gregg was good at times, and overpowered at others. Poe will have to be double teamed and hopefully can plug up the middle as he learns.

Again, it's not the worst pick that could have been made.

suds79
In a weird way I'm glad Scott showed some big ones by getting a guy they like and can feel great.

I remember hearing the word "Safe" and "We know he'll be good" being thrown around a lot when they took Tyson Jackson.

Can't say that about Poe. Truly a boom or bust pick.

mcaj22
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
yea just like Dexter McCluster was our Wes Welker slot guy
just like Tyson Jackson is Richard Seymour
just like Jon Baldwin is the next Vincent Jackson

that's one thing people do good around here with rookies, overrate the fuck out of them and their ceiling to some of the best talents in the league, so when they never come close to that they are a bust.

ChiTown
04-27-2012, 08:14 AM

Pretty much the way I feel about it. You don't reach at Number 11. If you think he's your guy, he better be in the starting lineup from Day 1. You don't get a project at #11. You get a guy who you can plug and play - and quite possibly be a stud.

Count Alex's Losses
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Nick Fairley was the #13 pick last year.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Pearson, who covered 3 games of poe for TV, is killing him on 610 right now

calling him soft..said they had packages set up to discuss him on tv, but poe never did anything in the games to even justify talking about him...

yikes....he hates the pick

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
In a weird way I'm glad Scott showed some big ones by getting a guy they like and can feel great.

I remember hearing the word "Safe" and "We know he'll be good" being thrown around a lot when they took Tyson Jackson.

Can't say that about Poe. Truly a boom or bust pick.

This is how I feel too. I wasn't crazy about the Baldwin pick, but he picked potential over "safe." I wasn't crazy about the Poe pick, but he finally took a chance at Nose Tackle rather than bringing in a bunch of retreads and passing them off as quality starters.

I don't understand the butthurt. People are either upset that we didn't go ultra safe for a Guard. Or that we didn't take a risk... on quarterbacks that were way out of KC's reach (Tannehill out of reach because it's just ridiculous to think any team would trade up for him). I think people are just bitching to bitch. At this stage in the team, if we're drafting at a spot where the options aren't great, I'd rather go down swinging than lay up.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Pretty much the way I feel about it. You don't reach at Number 11. If you think he's your guy, he better be in the starting lineup from Day 1. You don't get a project at #11. You get a guy who you can plug and play - and quite possibly be a stud.

The only guys you had there at #11 were safe guys who would fill a need, but would make a minimal impact on the team.

So I disagree entirely with this. THis is always a sweet spot for receivers and CBs who have outrageous athletic ability, but underachieved in college. You can absolutely draft boom bust players at this spot.

notorious
04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
If he pans out, it will be the exception instead of the rule.

The few blind homers that support this pick will continuosly hammer on us for melting down.

NOBODY can justify this pick today without completely talking out of their ass.

Rausch
04-27-2012, 08:19 AM
quinn is on a 1 year contract, he was signed because he was cheap

we don't have dick at QB on this roster

It made sense. He's still young, got NFL talent, and we've got a year to work him out and see where he's at.

Almost no risk there and a possible reward.

Stanzi is a low round pick who with some time and coaching might be something.

The only thing we KNOW is that Casshole isn't the guy. He's not a franchise QB.

At some point you have to see if the guys you brought in can play. We need to watch at least Stanzi play this game. We don't know what we have at QB behind Matty...

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
listening to pioli's press conference on poe...he is literally babbling...he can't even make up a reason to explain poe's lack of production...

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
pioli just contradicted everything he has ever said about watching tape and production...he is talking in circles...

he doesn't even believe what he is saying...lol

eazyb81
04-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Phil Taylor was awful last year lol

no he wasn't lol

Rausch
04-27-2012, 08:32 AM
pioli just contradicted everything he has ever said about watching tape and production...he is talking in circles...

he doesn't even believe what he is saying...lol

Romeo did the same thing in his presser. He said Poe was held back by playing a number of positions on the line instead of just one.

Then stated he'd be our NT, stay there, and get to grow.

Then later on when asked if he'd play on 3rd down Romeo said he would. He could play a number of positions on the line and they could move him around.

Errrrr......what? :spock:

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
The biggest positive about Poe is:

"If he can learn how to play football, he'll be a very good pick." Think about that.

ChiTown
04-27-2012, 08:42 AM

"If he can learn how to play football, he'll be a very good pick." Think about that.

That just screams a #11 pick

Rausch
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM

So he's a 1st round Junior Siavii...

the Talking Can

but at least the pick wasn't risky, and that's what matters

boogblaster

in truth other than the talent level .. 8-man football is faster .....

The Bad Guy
04-27-2012, 08:44 AM

We like signing quarterbacks that didn't play it in college and apparently defensive lineman that don't understand how to play.

Pioli Way FTW!

notorious
04-27-2012, 08:44 AM
That just screams "Vermeil Project"

FYP

Marcellus
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
This place cracks me up.
CP is a bunch of lemmings. Listen to a bunch of radio and watch ESPN then decide who you want to agree with and go with it as fact.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
This place cracks me up.
CP is a bunch of lemmings. Listen to a bunch of radio and watch ESPN then decide who you want to agree with and go with it as fact.

Pearson is a lemming?

since you have the facts we don't, how about sharing them with us?

Hoover
04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm pretty happy with the pick, especially when you consider how the first ten picks of the draft went. I would have loved to take Barron, but once he was not there Poe made a lot of sense. While he is a bit of a project, he has everything that you can't teach, size, athletic ability, and work ethic.

I also think it was smart for the Chiefs to grab Poe instead of finding a NT on day two of the draft. I don't really know what the difference is between the NT's available tonight and Powe. I do think that Poe provides more potential than any other NT already on this team or available in the draft. Like others have said, we upgraded the weakest part of an already strong defense. The Chiefs also provide Pow with a great chance to succeed in the NFL. We want Poe to be the final piece of the puzzle, we needed Sims to be the foundation we were going to build a defense around. That's a big difference.

I'm excited to see what Poe can bring to this defense.

petegz28
04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I see it this way. It's not my money so when you get down to it whether he was drafted at 11 or 110 is rather irrelevant. Sure we my have aquired a few more picks by trading down, assuming we could have, but really for what? A few more practice squad "projects"?

Fuck it, we need a monster NT and they think this guy is it. I think we get too caught up on where guys were drafted when really it's Clark's $'s on the line.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Romeo did the same thing in his presser. He said Poe was held back by playing a number of positions on the line instead of just one.

Then later on when asked if he'd play on 3rd down Romeo said he would. He could play a number of positions on the line and they could move him around.

And now you know why it's so hard to be optimistic about this team... :doh!:

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 10:03 AM

NT is for the base defense. There's no NT when you're in the nickel.

mlyonsd
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty happy with the pick, especially when you consider how the first ten picks of the draft went. I would have loved to take Barron, but once he was not there Poe made a lot of sense. While he is a bit of a project, he has everything that you can't teach, size, athletic ability, and work ethic.

I also think it was smart for the Chiefs to grab Poe instead of finding a NT on day two of the draft. I don't really know what the difference is between the NT's available tonight and Powe. I do think that Poe provides more potential than any other NT already on this team or available in the draft. Like others have said, we upgraded the weakest part of an already strong defense. The Chiefs also provide Pow with a great chance to succeed in the NFL. We want Poe to be the final piece of the puzzle, we needed Sims to be the foundation we were going to build a defense around. That's a big difference.

I'm excited to see what Poe can bring to this defense.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I see it this way. It's not my money so when you get down to it whether he was drafted at 11 or 110 is rather irrelevant. Sure we my have aquired a few more picks by trading down, assuming we could have, but really for what? A few more practice squad "projects"?

**** it, we need a monster NT and they think this guy is it. I think we get too caught up on where guys were drafted when really it's Clark's $'s on the line.

the chiefs could draft a pumpkin and you'd be happy

Demonpenz
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
The good thing is that when he isn't making plays you can sell yourself on "welp that's not his job" if the dude is the physical freak everyone says he is that is good. I am sure Romeo can sell him on "hey us black men, we bros, we got to work hard and shit"

petegz28
04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
the chiefs could draft a pumpkin and you'd be happy

It's sad to see you try that tact.

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pKBoCsx8-qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XHbqvAHhlJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v_wRR6B8NCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
And now you know why it's so hard to be optimistic about this team... :doh!:

I'm guessing what Romeo meant was, "Yeah, he's our NT. IF we can also get him to be effective in our other defensive fronts....then, yeah, he'll play there too. But he's gonna be a NT in our base D."

:shrug:

Dicky McElephant
04-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Good God.....Clark Hunt doesn't look like he has the slightest interest in anything football in that 1st video.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
NT is for the base defense. There's no NT when you're in the nickel.

So if Poe is on the field in the nickel package, he's no longer a NT, right?

Which contradicts Romeo's statement that he's going to play nose and stay there.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Which contradicts Romeo's statement that he's going to play nose and stay there.

If there is no NT on the field, it doesn't preclude him playing in a 3 or 5 technique in other packages though...does it?

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Saying that Poe's an NT and will only play NT makes sense when you're talking about the base. Poe's not going to be moved to DE in the 3-4. If, however, Poe plays well enough that you went him in on passing downs, there's no NT position to play, so there's not an issue there. It seems pretty clear, and there's no contradiction at all.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM

I'm excited to see what Poe can bring to this defense.Good post and I tend to agree. Poe's upside is off the charts. If he lives up to the billing, we may have picked one of the best players in this year's draft. We had a glaring hole and he's the prototypical NT teams covet. If people actually watched the film, they'd see he's better than some have made him out to be.

Urc Burry
04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Crennel said he fully expects Poe to be a 3 down player. He should be playing next to Bailey in the sub package

Canofbier
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Crennel couldn’t contain his excitement.

“I think we’re going to see a really good player,” the coach said.

Pioli, the Chiefs General Manager, was practically bursting out of his suit in excitement.

"He's going to work hard and be a member of the Right 53. We're happy he's here."

Chris Meck
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm going to defer to Romeo Crennel, his SB rings, and his background as a defensive line coach. If Romeo can't coach this kid up, it can't be done.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
If there is no NT on the field, it doesn't preclude him playing in a 3 or 5 technique in other packages though...does it?

Of course not. But it precludes him from playing NT and staying at NT.

If he's playing 3T then he's a 3T, not a NT, regardless of situational package.

Saying that Poe's an NT and will only play NT makes sense when you're talking about the base. Poe's not going to be moved to DE in the 3-4. If, however, Poe plays well enough that you went him in on passing downs, there's no NT position to play, so there's not an issue there. It seems pretty clear, and there's no contradiction at all.

Dude, it's basic reading and comprehension. If he's on the field in a sub-package that has no NT, then Romeo Crennel's statement is patently false. There's no way around it. It's a definitive contradiction.

keg in kc
04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Nitpicking press conferences. Fun stuff.

Detoxing
04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Good post and I tend to agree. Poe's upside is off the charts. If he lives up to the billing, we may have picked one of the best players in this year's draft. We had a glaring hole and he's the prototypical NT teams covet. If people actually watched the film, they'd see he's better than some have made him out to be.

If you watched the "film" you'd see him get stone walled by a freaking RB.

What irks me even more is that Pioli's defense was that "49% of the snaps didn't allow him to make a play".

That's all fine and dandy, but when you watch him play, it's not like he's consistently quick off the snap and getting penetration. When the QB isn't dumping the ball off, more often than not, Poe is just stood up and stone walled and the QB has plenty of time to throw.

I just don't buy it.

I was quiet about it yesterday because I thought the kid has some upside. The more and more I dig, the worse i feel about him.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 12:23 PM

They've pretty much brought this on themselves, have they not?

We didn't imagine that they've won nothing in 3 years, fired a coach, and failed at QB, did we?

Until they actually DO SOMETHING, their press conferences deserve to be nitpicked. What else are we going to talk about, another loss?

Detoxing
04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Another thing that bothers me about him: for a guy that ran such a fast 40, he sure does lack burst off the snap.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Of course not. But it precludes him from playing NT and staying at NT.

If he's playing 3T then he's a 3T, not a NT, regardless of situational package.

Dude, it's basic reading and comprehension. If he's on the field in a sub-package that has no NT, then Romeo Crennel's statement is patently false. There's no way around it. It's a definitive contradiction.

No, it's you looking for anything at all to bitch about. There's no contradiction at all, and you know it. You aren't moving a guy off the nose if there's no nose to move the guy off.

Coogs
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Crennel said he fully expects Poe to be a 3 down player. He should be playing next to Bailey in the sub package

I wouldn't hate it if Poe is good enough to just stay in our base 3-4 on 3rd down and bring blitzes from places the offense is not expecting like other kick ass 3-4 teams do.

eazyb81
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM

No shit. Very strange.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2012, 12:45 PM

I don't get that either. Not playing NT, when there is no NT....makes you a DT or DE. So what?

I just assume that "staying at NT" means....when there is one on the field. :shrug:

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2012, 12:46 PM

We didn't imagine that they've won nothing in 3 years, fired a coach, and failed at QB, did we?

Until they actually DO SOMETHING, their press conferences deserve to be nitpicked. What else are we going to talk about, another loss?

It's a process.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Why couldn't Romeo coach up Powe last year. At least until the point of being able to play 5 snaps a game?

Two-Twenty
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
The good thing is that when he isn't making plays you can sell yourself on "welp that's not his job" if the dude is the physical freak everyone says he is that is good. I am sure Romeo can sell him on "hey us black men, we bros, we got to work hard and shit"

STFU

TEX
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Why couldn't Romeo coach up Powe last year. At least until the point of being able to play 5 snaps a game?

Baby steps man...baby steps...

Frosty
04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Another thing that bothers me about him: for a guy that ran such a fast 40, he sure does lack burst off the snap.

Serious question since you have studied him a lot and I don't pretend to even be close to an expert in evaluation - is he a high effort guy? The usual knock on interior d-linemen is that they don't always play hard every snap. RAC and Pioli's comments make it sound like he is a high effort guy but basically ran around like a chicken with its head cut off because he didn't know what he was doing.

I personally wouldn't take someone that didn't know how to play football at #11 but would feel slightly better about it if I thought he was someone that would play hard every snap. Ryan Sims' main problem is that once he got paid, he showed up out of shape and didn't play hard. I really hope that doesn't happen here.

TRR
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Serious question since you have studied him a lot and I don't pretend to even be close to an expert in evaluation - is he a high effort guy? The usual knock on interior d-linemen is that they don't always play hard every snap. RAC and Pioli's comments make it sound like he is a high effort guy but basically ran around like a chicken with its head cut off because he didn't know what he was doing.

I personally wouldn't take someone that didn't know how to play football at #11 but would feel slightly better about it if I thought he was someone that would play hard every snap. Ryan Sims' main problem is that once he got paid, he showed up out of shape and didn't play hard. I really hope that doesn't happen here.

Seems to me that he is. However, anyone that says they have watched a lot of tape or games of Poe simply doesn't even come close to watching as much film as RAC or Pioli. Either way, I do like the point that Poe played a lot of snaps at many positions and played till the final whistle even though Memphis was getting drilled consistently game in and game out. It would have been easy to take last season or the season before as a means to an end. It doesn't seem like Poe ever had that type of attitude.

Lastly, it seems that Poe is getting a bad rap BECAUSE of his combine workout. He was regarded by a lot of draft sites and NFL personel as the top NT before the combine even occured. Most look at this and think Mike Mamula...or that KC picked him because he blew up the combine. He was a highly rated player before the combine ever occured and seems to be getting punished in the media because of his stellar performance.

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM

We won the AFC west two years ago and came within 2 blocked snaps of winning it last year. That with an injured all star on offense, a promising tight end, and an all star on defense. Throw that in with the loss of the starting qb (no matter what you say about him, he was the starter and did make the probowl the year prior) and a lot of teams would be happy.

They've had a good offseason and it seems like they know what they want. However, it also seems that despite what they do, you will not be happy unless they do what YOU want. So I have a recommendation. Seems to me you have 3 options: Fill out an application with your vast mountains of superior football knowledge, deal with it, or move the fuck on because it seems to me that everyday that goes by you sound more and more like my exwife. Always bitching about something.

Furthermore, do you actually think that they give a shit that some poster from an internet bulletin board is taking the time to "nitpick their press conferences." You make it sound that your continuous whining has an effect on something. Unfortunately it does, not to them, but to me. It gives me one continuous damned head ache.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
No, it's you looking for anything at all to bitch about. There's no contradiction at all, and you know it. You aren't moving a guy off the nose if there's no nose to move the guy off.

ROFL

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
We won the AFC west two years ago and came within 2 blocked snaps of winning it last year. That with an injured all star on offense, a promising tight end, and an all star on defense. Throw that in with the loss of the starting qb (no matter what you say about him, he was the starter and did make the probowl the year prior) and a lot of teams would be happy.

Woohoo...AFC West Championship T-shirts for everybody!

They've had a good offseason and it seems like they know what they want. However, it also seems that despite what they do, you will not be happy unless they do what YOU want.

Please, tell me what it is that *I* want. And do a little research before you answer, that way you can avoid looking like a COMPLETE ASS when you find out I DIDN'T WANT DONTARI POE.

See, that's the thing - I want them to CUT THE BULLSHIT AND WIN. Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. Stop saying that you want high character guys while your 1st-round draft pick is breaking his thumb punching one of the most-respected locker room guys in the league. Stop saying that the combine had no effect on your draft selection of Poe when everybody knows it did. And most of all, stop telling us it's a process when you're 3 years in and haven't WON SHIT.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
ROFL

Laugh all you want. You're acting as bitchy as a woman with a permanent period.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM

That implies emotion, which assumes I care.

I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I can't help it you live in fantasy land.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Tell you what, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say this:

You arrived in 2009. You COMPLETELY lack any context in this discussion.

As any of the old-timers here can tell you, I'm not looking for reasons to be negative. In fact, I've always taken heat here because I'm looking for reasons to be POSITIVE.

The simple fact is that there aren't many reasons to be positive right now. This regime seems to lack direction. They say it's a process but they don't seemingly follow it. That's not something I fabricated, it's something that's been observed by MANY people.

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Woohoo...AFC West Championship T-shirts for everybody!

That would be winning something, which is what you said they didn't do.

Please, tell me what it is that *I* want. And do a little research before you answer, that way you can avoid looking like a COMPLETE ASS when you find out I DIDN'T WANT DONTARI POE.
The Planet knows you didn't want Poe. You've made that point. It's done, quit whining about it.
See, that's the thing - I want them to CUT THE BULLSHIT AND WIN. Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. Stop saying that you want high character guys while your 1st-round draft pick is breaking his thumb punching one of the most-respected locker room guys in the league. Stop saying that the combine had no effect on your draft selection of Poe when everybody knows it did. And most of all, stop telling us it's a process when you're 3 years in and haven't WON SHIT.

and yet I still say they've won a division title and were pretty close to one last year

Mecca
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
and yet I still say they've won a division title and were pretty close to one last year

Well if you have a low standard I guess they're doing ok.

Eiither way "the process" is apparently to draft as many defensive linemen as possible.

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

As any of the old-timers here can tell you, I'm not looking for reasons to be negative. In fact, I've always taken heat here because I'm looking for reasons to be POSITIVE.

The simple fact is that there aren't many reasons to be positive right now. This regime seems to lack direction. They say it's a process but they don't seemingly follow it. That's not something I fabricated, it's something that's been observed by MANY people.

Perhaps if it is more disclosure you are seeking, you should email Pioli and tell him to be more transparent with his directions. Request that before he does something that he passes it through you first.

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Eiither way "the process" is apparently to draft as many defensive linemen as possible.

If you can't see that as progress from the end of the herm era I don't know what to tell you.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Who gives a fuck?

That's one of the many things wrong with this fanbase.

They are content with winning (or even coming close to winning) the shittiest division in football.

Mecca
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
If you can't see that as progress from the end of the herm era I don't know what to tell you.

Our best players are players from the Herm era, the progress is nothing more than Herms players maturing as they would have no matter who was here.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 02:09 PM
That implies emotion, which assumes I care.

I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I can't help it you live in fantasy land.

But you're not pointing out the obvious, because you're deliberately ignoring the obvious. You're trying to play a semantics game when you're smart enough to know better than to be posting the bullshit you're posting.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2012, 02:09 PM

21 wins in 3 years, 1 playoff appearance, 1 playoff loss.

And people still think Pioli is God's gift to football.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
That would be winning something, which is what you said they didn't do.

The fact that you view an AFC West championship as an "accomplishment" says volumes.

The Planet knows you didn't want Poe. You've made that point. It's done, quit whining about it.

You should have taken my advice and done some research. I've spent the morning posting POSITIVE things about Poe and suggesting a wait and see approach to it. I handed it to you on a silver platter and you marched forward, clueless. I'm sorry.

Detoxing
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM

I haven't studied him a lot nor do I believe i know everything there is to know about the kid. Like i said in another thread, i never even paid attention to him till yesterday because i never thought i'd have to.

From what little we can watch of him, he has shown nothing that would support the idea that he's a franchise type NT.

He looked like a marginal talent playing in one of the weakest conferences in College Football. There is nothing inspiring about that.

With that said, I'm ready to move on. I hope he does well and proves Scott and RAC right.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 02:11 PM

I don't need the context you're talking about. I have the context of you being a quality poster before, and a whiny little bitch now.

And "the simple fact" is that there are a lot of reasons for Chiefs fans to be positive right now, and that you're full of shit about the process that's been going on with the team.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
But you're not pointing out the obvious, because you're deliberately ignoring the obvious. You're trying to play a semantics game when you're smart enough to know better than to be posting the bullshit you're posting.

ROFL

There's absolutely NO semantics about Jon Baldwin. Pioli says publically they value high character and then they turn around and draft a guy with KNOWN attitude issues and said guy subsquently breaks his thumb in a fight with a player that is acknowledge, LEAGUE WIDE, as one of the best locker room leaders in the game.

There's no getting around it. What he said, and what he did, are 2 different things. Sorry if you can't handle that.

J Diddy
The fact that you view an AFC West championship as an "accomplishment" says volumes.

You should have taken my advice and done some research. I've spent the morning posting POSITIVE things about Poe and suggesting a wait and see approach to it. I handed it to you on a silver platter and you marched forward, clueless. I'm sorry.

Um, okay. I guess I'll go kill myself since I'm so torn up by your perception of how I march forward.

I'll be perfectly honest I started to do some research but came to the conclusion that I didn't care.

htismaqe
Perhaps if it is more disclosure you are seeking, you should email Pioli and tell him to be more transparent with his directions. Request that before he does something that he passes it through you first.

I didn't ask for more disclosure, sorry. I'd be perfectly find with him saying absolutely nothing at all. At least then he's eliminating the potential to look like a liar.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
STFU

LOL you've been Penz'd

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 02:15 PM

15 wins in the 3 years before, and coming in following a 2 win season.

A team that was devastated by major injuries at the very start of last season.

You seem to be forgetting those points in your post.

ChiefRocka
Our best players are players from the Herm era, the progress is nothing more than Herms players maturing as they would have no matter who was here.

Pioli's draftees can mature also...no?

htismaqe
I don't need the context you're talking about. I have the context of you being a quality poster before, and a whiny little bitch now.

And I arrived at this stance all by myself. The miserable performance of the team had nothing to do with it at all, right?

ROFL

I think it's great that you think you're special enough to tell me how to feel. If only you were really as important as you think you are.

And "the simple fact" is that there are a lot of reasons for Chiefs fans to be positive right now, and that you're full of shit about the process that's been going on with the team.

Me and the hundreds of other people that have observed what's going on? Oh that's right, you're smarter than everybody else.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 02:16 PM
ROFL

There's absolutely NO semantics about Jon Baldwin. Pioli says publically they value high character and then they turn around and draft a guy with KNOWN attitude issues and said guy subsquently breaks his thumb in a fight with a player that is acknowledge, LEAGUE WIDE, as one of the best locker room leaders in the game.

There's no getting around it. What he said, and what he did, are 2 different things. Sorry if you can't handle that.

Since I'm talking about Poe, why would I give a shit about Baldwin?

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Um, okay. I guess I'll go kill myself since I'm so torn up by your perception of how I march forward.

I'll be perfectly honest I started to do some research but came to the conclusion that I didn't care.

You don't care yet you continue to comment? Ignorance is not a virtue.

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Now let's be a little honest here. They won 7 games last year, granted they shouldn't have won at Chicago and they should have won against the Raiders. IMO, those wipe each other out in the realm of should haves.

Now, do you honestly think they would have lost 9 games with Charles and Berry? To say they wouldn't have at least won 2 of those losses would be dishonest. In terms of the first year, I'll give you that, but we could argue all night about those circumstances.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Since I'm talking about Poe, why would I give a shit about Baldwin?

Semantics...

ROFL

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
amazing how pioli's favorite pats fan cock gobbler shows up to lecture us like clockwork...

you and cassel have cat fights to see who gets the load?

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
And I arrived at this stance all by myself. The miserable performance of the team had nothing to do with it at all, right?

ROFL

I think it's great that you think you're special enough to tell me how to feel. If only you were really as important as you think you are.

Me and the hundreds of other people that have observed what's going on? Oh that's right, you're smarter than everybody else.

Just put the stupid fucker on ignore, it makes life easier.

OnTheWarpath58
15 wins in the 3 years before, and coming in following a 2 win season.

A team that was devastated by major injuries at the very start of last season.

You seem to be forgetting those points in your post.

Yep, the Chiefs are the only team in the NFL that has ever been affected by injuries.

Make all the excuses you want. 7 wins a year for 3 years isn't acceptable for someone considered the "Executive of the Decade."

What's the excuse going to be in Year 4? Year 5?

Just Passin' By

ROFL

No, this board went off the deep end when Sanchez wasn't drafted and it hasn't recovered, which is amusing because Sanchez has been a bottom tier QB ever since. You just went along with the crowd.

What was a 2-14 talent deficient team is now pretty well stocked and clearly improved. The idiotic bleatings of a subset of a messageboard really don't mean a ****ing thing in the end, but a significant talent improvement and the improved records do.

J Diddy
You don't care yet you continue to comment? Ignorance is not a virtue.

Geez sorry. I felt that if anyone could appreciate ignorance it would be you.

Nah I don't care enough to do research, now I'm just taking just enough time to mess with you. It's sort of entertaining and requires less reading.

OnTheWarpath58
Just put the stupid fucker on ignore, it makes life easier.

Exactly.

I've made my one and only response to him today. Not sure why I wasted my time.

htismaqe
Now let's be a little honest here. They won 7 games last year, granted they shouldn't have won at Chicago and they should have won against the Raiders. IMO, those wipe each other out in the realm of should haves.

Now, do you honestly think they would have lost 9 games with Charles and Berry? To say they wouldn't have at least won 2 of those losses would be dishonest. In terms of the first year, I'll give you that, but we could argue all night about those circumstances.

Is 9-7 with another first round playoff loss REALLY acceptable for year 3 of the regime?

Let's not forget that Pioli fired his HAND-PICKED coach in the middle of the season.

Look, he's a first-time GM and people make mistakes. If he'd just accept that and move on. Instead, he acts an awful lot like one Carl Peterson and I'm sorry, but that's just not gonna cut it.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:21 PM
No, this board went off the deep end when Sanchez wasn't drafted and it hasn't recovered, which is amusing because Sanchez has been a bottom tier QB ever since. You just went along with the crowd.

I think Sanchez is dogshit.

I hate Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and Matt Ryan too. They're all losers.

So yeah, I went along with the crowd.

ROFL

Just Passin' By
Yep, the Chiefs are the only team in the NFL that has ever been affected by injuries.

Make all the excuses you want. 7 wins a year for 3 years isn't acceptable for someone considered the "Executive of the Decade."

When you lose a bunch of your best players, you tend to win fewer games, especially when it's in a likely 'fall back' year. That's just the way it is. You're smart enough to know that.

htismaqe
Geez sorry. I felt that if anyone could appreciate ignorance it would be you.

Nah I don't care enough to do research, now I'm just taking just enough time to mess with you. It's sort of entertaining and requires less reading.

Mess with me? LMAO

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM

The Packers, as an example, won a Championship with something like 16 players on IR.

Every team deals with injuries.

It's an excuse, and a weak one at that.

What is the excuse going to be this year? Next year?

bricks
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Who gives a ****?

That's one of the many things wrong with this fanbase.

They are content with winning (or even coming close to winning) the shittiest division in football.

I hear what you are saying.

Some of us need to change our mindset and demand excellence. In other words, **** winning the division and settling for mediocrity, lets go 14-2 and get into the playoffs, whip some ass and win the Superbowl.

Im with that all the way, the only trouble is, I don't have any reason to believe that that can happen at this point. Simply because we don't have the QB, and neither do we have the right people in place to build a winning program that can take us to the top.

With that being said, Im actually content if they make the playoffs. And I don't expect them to win...But, the way I look at it, being mediocre and making the playoffs is obviously better than being mediocre and not making the playoffs.

Till this franchise has the right people in place to build a winning program and have the QB that can take them to the top then I will have reason to believe. Unfortunately, they have neither. I think the fanbase being content with making the playoffs is just a reflection of realistic expectations.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I think Sanchez is dogshit.

I hate Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and Matt Ryan too. They're all losers.

So yeah, I went along with the crowd.

ROFL

Being swept along with the idiot crowd doesn't require that you believe everything they do. It just requires that you get infected by the same sort of stupidity they display.

You've done that.

htismaqe
04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Being swept along with the idiot crowd doesn't require that you believe everything they do. It just requires that you get infected by the same sort of stupidity they display.

You've done that.

You are one stupid clueless motherfucker. ROFL

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Year 1 of regime-late start on draft, coach, and coordinators after taking over a young team
Year 2 of regime-things were to be expected and made progress, new dc and oc, won AFC West
Year 3 of regime-Lost starting te, all pro rb, and all pro safety, later lost starting qb. Still almost won division.

I argue that injuries set back the progress.

mcaj22
04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
thomas dimitroff, also from new england...

with the Falcons
year 1: 11-5
year 2: 9-7
year 3: 13-3
year 4: 10-6

if a shit team like the Falcons can do it, there is no reason we can't. Oh wait, our GM would rather draft D-lineman than take chances.

OnTheWarpath58
You are one stupid clueless motherfucker. ROFL

Now you know what we've all known for 3 years.

Reaper16
I'm eagerly awaiting the day that JPB's username finally enters into the past tense.

htismaqe
Year 1 of regime-late start on draft, coach, and coordinators after taking over a young team
Year 2 of regime-things were to be expected and made progress, new dc and oc, won AFC West
Year 3 of regime-Lost starting te, all pro rb, and all pro safety, later lost starting qb. Still almost won division.

I argue that injuries set back the progress.

Assuming the injuries never happened, what was the ceiling? Was it an AFC Championship appearance? A Super Bowl?

The simple fact is that, with this team, 2010 was just about as good as it get with this particular cast, would you acknowledge that?

Now if that's good enough for you, that's fine, I respect that. But surely you could understand if some of us feel that it absolutely isn't good enough.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the day that JPB's username finally enters into the past tense.

LMAO

J Diddy
04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Assuming the injuries never happened, what was the ceiling? Was it an AFC Championship appearance? A Super Bowl?

The simple fact is that, with this team, 2010 was just about as good as it get with this particular cast, would you acknowledge that?

Now if that's good enough for you, that's fine, I respect that. But surely you could understand if some of us feel that it absolutely isn't good enough.

I'll be honest, I've accepted that 2011 was going to be similar to 2010. I came to that conclusion due to the shortened offseason. I didn't expect the injuries, however, I feel the injury to Charles killed us.

In short, I want to win a championship as well and I believe we are making progress towards that goal. Which is what I view an AFC championship as: progress.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
The Packers, as an example, won a Championship with something like 16 players on IR.

Every team deals with injuries.

It's an excuse, and a weak one at that.

What is the excuse going to be this year? Next year?

You don't even need Rodgers. The Texans made the playoffs and won a playoff game while overcoming severe injuries to key players.

O.city
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
The Texans beat the Bengals, who started a game managing quarterback. The Texans also had the best defense in football last year without Williams.

I realize injuries happen every year. It's the NFL. But you don't lose your best offensive player and your best defensive player.

Take away Ray Rice and Ed Reed. Do the Ravens make it to the AFC Champ game?

Dicky McElephant
04-27-2012, 02:48 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buQjQMni-M0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I found 5 plays to breakdown. Sooooooo....he found all of the plays that he did something.

Frosty
04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I haven't studied him a lot nor do I believe i know everything there is to know about the kid. Like i said in another thread, i never even paid attention to him till yesterday because i never thought i'd have to.

From what little we can watch of him, he has shown nothing that would support the idea that he's a franchise type NT.

He looked like a marginal talent playing in one of the weakest conferences in College Football. There is nothing inspiring about that.

With that said, I'm ready to move on. I hope he does well and proves Scott and RAC right.

Thanks.

There was nothing sarcastic in my original post. It sounded like you had studied Poe and knew a little about what you were talking about so I thought I would ask if you saw what RAC and Pioli were trying to sell.

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
You don't even need Rodgers. The Texans made the playoffs and won a playoff game while overcoming severe injuries to key players.

I said at the time, this was the year for the Chiefs to break their playoff win slump. The Texans and Broncos were proof of that. But no.

TRR
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I know I may be coming off like a Poe defender here but I keep hearing how bad Poe's stats are.

2011 Poe: 33 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 Sack, 3 BB, 1 FF.
2011 Ta'amu: 30 tackles, 7 TFL, 3 Sacks, 0 BB, 0 FF.
2011 Chapman: 23 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 Sack, 2 BB, 0 FF.
2011 Brockers: 54 tackles, 10 TFL, 2 Sacks, 2 BB, 1 FF (Only started one season).
2011 Cox: 56 tackles, 14 TFL, 5 Sacks, 0 BB, 1 FF.
2005 Ngata: 32 tackles, 3 Sacks.

I realize Poe was picked at #11 and Chapman, Ta'amu are still sitting there. however, the stats really aren't what make a NT successful. It's how successful his teammates are around him....How much they can make life easier on the LB's, etc.

DaWolf
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM

It only took them 10 years to build a roster with enough depth to do it...

milkman
04-27-2012, 03:41 PM

We're halfway there!

Playof win in 2018, baby!

WOOOOHOOOO!!!

Count Alex's Losses
04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
the stats really aren't what make a NT successful. It's how successful his teammates are around him.

Poe did a great job then, Memphis defense was feared. They were dominate.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2012, 03:45 PM

They beat the fucking Bengals.

petegz28
04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I know I may be coming off like a Poe defender here but I keep hearing how bad Poe's stats are.

2011 Poe: 33 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 Sack, 3 BB, 1 FF.
2011 Ta'amu: 30 tackles, 7 TFL, 3 Sacks, 0 BB, 0 FF.
2011 Chapman: 23 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 Sack, 2 BB, 0 FF.
2011 Brockers: 54 tackles, 10 TFL, 2 Sacks, 2 BB, 1 FF (Only started one season).
2011 Cox: 56 tackles, 14 TFL, 5 Sacks, 0 BB, 1 FF.
2005 Ngata: 32 tackles, 3 Sacks.

I realize Poe was picked at #11 and Chapman, Ta'amu are still sitting there. however, the stats really aren't what make a NT successful. It's how successful his teammates are around him....How much they can make life easier on the LB's, etc.

all I know is the rest of the Memphis defense sucked ass from what I have seen

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Poe did a great job then, Memphis defense was feared. They were dominate.

To be fair, the vast majority of plays in Poe's highlights are run elsewhere.

Memphis' pass defense was truly one of the worst in the NCAA. I don't know where it ranked, I should look that up.

Meanwhile, you can see his teammates getting obliterated off both edges of the line.

Whosurdaddy
04-27-2012, 04:02 PM
To be fair, the vast majority of plays in Poe's highlights are run elsewhere.

Memphis' pass defense was truly one of the worst in the NCAA. I don't know where it ranked, I should look that up.

Meanwhile, you can see his teammates getting obliterated off both edges of the line.

*just copy pasta from my other post in a dead thread.

Ngata
2005- Oregon defense

*49th in points scored against
*97th in sacks
*41st against rushing per game
*81st in avg rush per attempt
*74th against passing per game
*2nd interceptions
-top 10 team 10-2 season

Poe
2011 memphis defense
*105th in points scored against
*52nd in interceptions
*dead last in passing against
*97th against the rush
*109th in avg rush per attempt
*108th in sacks

-2-10 season, 1-7 in conference. Just terrible. Last in about every offensive category.

I don't see much of a correlation on a good NT's impact on the defense around him. Haloti is the best in the game right now and his defense on a really good college football team was still bad. Memphis was on another god damn awful level though. CUSA and the sunbelt are loaded with crappy quick pass offenses and I'm not sure he could have showed much off. Come to think of it the PAC-10 is loaded with quick pass offenses as well. It's nothing but a wait and see.

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
*just copy pasta from my other post in a dead thread.

Ngata
2005- Oregon defense

*49th in points scored against
*97th in sacks
*41st against rushing per game
*81st in avg rush per attempt
*74th against passing per game
*2nd interceptions
-top 10 team 10-2 season

Poe
2011 memphis defense
*105th in points scored against
*52nd in interceptions
*dead last in passing against
*97th against the rush
*109th in avg rush per attempt
*108th in sacks

-2-10 season, 1-7 in conference. Just terrible. Last in about every offensive category.

I don't see much of a correlation on a good NT's impact on the defense around him. Haloti is the best in the game right now and his defense on a really good college football team was still bad. Memphis was on another god damn awful level though. CUSA and the sunbelt are loaded with crappy quick pass offenses and I'm not sure he could have showed much off. Come to think of it the PAC-10 is loaded with quick pass offenses as well. It's nothing but a wait and see.

That's the statistical evidence of what I saw on film.

I don't like the Poe pick, but it's pretty clear that he was languishing on a shit defense.

Teams didn't run to him, they never had to. They hardly ran at all, why worry about that when you can just drop back and play catch against that shit secondary.

Whosurdaddy
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
That's the statistical evidence of what I saw on film.

I don't like the Poe pick, but it's pretty clear that he was languishing on a shit defense.

Teams didn't run to him, they never had to. They hardly ran at all, why worry about that when you can just drop back and play catch against that shit secondary.

The rushing game was crap as well, but I have heard that the CUSA short passes and screen percentages were disgusting. Makes sense when the quality of the defenses were so terrible.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2012, 04:35 PM

It also helped that the Colts didn't have a decent backup plan in case their starting QB went down.

Due to injury....

TRR
04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMg-twJIOo

crazycoffey
04-27-2012, 04:44 PM

The elements are there. It will take three full years of development before we know what we have here.

Direckshun is staking his reputation on Poe NOT being in the running of Defensive Rookie of the year....

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Direckshun is staking his reputation on Poe NOT being in the running of Defensive Rookie of the year....

LMAO

That would be an accurate statement.

I just hope the Chiefs get him signed ASAP and get him in practice so they can start molding him out of the gate.

Bump
04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
a guy that played every down in college doesn't sound lazy to me. The kid is hungry for coaching and welcomes it. I read that somewhere. That sounds pretty good to me especially since we have the best d-line coach in the business.

melbar
04-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I think the fact that he played every down, every game rotating between 4-5 different techniques/ positions gives them an incite into his endurance, and ability to learn. They also worked him out personally, so they know how he responded to what they expect from a full time nt. Concentrating on one position and coaching from one of the best d line coaches in the history of the game will be a huge plus I think. I guess I'm just deferring toRAC on this
kid.

Bewbies
04-27-2012, 04:56 PM

They need to win 10-11 this year or that number is going to finally get him in some trouble.

Too bad we have Matt Cassel leading the charge.

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I think the fact that he played every down, every game rotating between 4-5 different techniques/ positions gives them an incite into his endurance, and ability to learn. They also worked him out personally, so they know how he responded to what they expect from a full time nt. Concentrating on one position and coaching from one of the best d line coaches in the history of the game will be a huge plus I think. I guess I'm just deferring toRAC on this
kid.

That and he has two enormous flaws that are extremely coachable. He is horrible at keeping his pads low and using his hands.

Good coaching will help him there. If he responds to using hand technique the way tamba has, he has potentially to significantly improve on that alone. I don't know if that solves his problems. But to those who wonder why he was consistently unimpressive, those are two really big flaws what will ruin any talented nose tackle.