PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Are You Happy With Allen At 44?

BossChief
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
We needed a versatile linemen and it seems we got one.

O.city
04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah, extremely happy.

HemiEd
I am thrilled with him, and it may be the move to send Lilja home. Besides, he is a team Captain!

Fire Me Boy!
I like the "Thoughts on Jeff Allen" thread better.

Simplicity
04-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Q.... ****er!

Direckshun
Poll?

OnTheWarpath58
The upside is saying adios to Lilja.

I hope.

evolve27
NFL.com player review:

OVERVIEW
Allen has been a starter for four years on the offensive line for Illinois. With his size and experience playing on both the right and left sides, he will have good value as a backup at the next level. He has decent athletic ability and strength but knows how to keep defenders from beating him. He is likely worth a sixth- or seventh-round pick.

NO! QB is of biggest need.

Micjones
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
NFL.com player review:

OVERVIEW
Allen has been a starter for four years on the offensive line for Illinois. With his size and experience playing on both the right and left sides, he will have good value as a backup at the next level. He has decent athletic ability and strength but knows how to keep defenders from beating him. He is likely worth a sixth- or seventh-round pick.

NO! QB is of biggest need.

That's a horrible analysis of Hill.
Every other profile I've read had him going in Round 2 or 3.

aturnis
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Won't start this year, but Mayock called him "a day one starter" at guard obviously. So yeah, it's not sexy, but I like it. Crazy to think Pioli has rebuilt the entire OL save LT. Done it without overvaluing olinemen in the 1st round taking them in the 2nd and 3rd and of course a super savvy free agent pickup in Winston.

This "no real needs" thing might become a trend for the Chiefs. Next year I think we have a very similar situation, and might be in a position to package picks to move up to take a QB.

boogblaster
04-27-2012, 06:26 PM
damit .....

aturnis
04-27-2012, 06:26 PM

NFL.com is always the worst evaluator...besides need of course.

evolve27
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM

:whackit::whackit:

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
NFL.com is always the worst evaluator...besides need of course.

Actually if you look at their grades they are pretty good at who goes when.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Allen wasn't in Mayock's top 100 list. Probably not great value where KC took him.

the Talking Can
04-27-2012, 06:38 PM
sure

HemiEd
04-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Same here, most are high 2

Bump
04-27-2012, 06:39 PM
yes, good pick. Gives us versatility at oline. Our line is gonna be beast this season, JC is gonna avg 7 yards per carry.

Blick
04-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I like the versatility. We needed a swing tackle, and he has starting guard potential. Good guy to have on the active roster to backup multiple positions.

SNR
04-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Won't start this year, but Mayock called him "a day one starter" at guard obviously. So yeah, it's not sexy, but I like it. Crazy to think Pioli has rebuilt the entire OL save LT. Done it without overvaluing olinemen in the 1st round taking them in the 2nd and 3rd and of course a super savvy free agent pickup in Winston.

This "no real needs" thing might become a trend for the Chiefs. Next year I think we have a very similar situation, and might be in a position to package picks to move up to take a QB.That's the idea, anyway.

It's possible we drafted Allen to replace Albert. If a guy like Reuben Randle falls to our 3rd, that doesn't bode well for keeping Bowe.

Additionally, we have to re-sign Asamoah, Lewis, and Moeaki.

Omaha
04-27-2012, 06:50 PM
That's the idea, anyway.

It's possible we drafted Allen to replace Albert. If a guy like Reuben Randle falls to our 3rd, that doesn't bode well for keeping Bowe.

Additionally, we have to re-sign Asamoah, Lewis, and Moeaki.

Oh fuck, why did you have to put that in my head. Randle is a fucking stud.

bevischief
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Don't remember seeing his name on draft planet this early on draft planet...

BigChiefTablet
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
One thing to keep in mind with some of these lower draft grades is they were grading him as a tackle. We took him as a guard.

Saccopoo
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Sucks.

They took a fifth/sixth rounder in the second.

But then again, this draft has been a weird one from that perspective. A lot of guys are getting drafted that should/may have been there a lot later than their drafted positions.

shammus
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Allen wasn't in Mayock's top 100 list. Probably not great value where KC took him.

Allen was actually 36th on Mayock's top 100. Stephenson was 96.

Still that being said, it seems there were better players at both positions when we made those picks - Osemele and Konz in rd 2 and Massie and Sanders at OT in rd 3. Not sure why Allen and Stephenson were higher up on our board.

Saccopoo
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Allen was actually 36th on Mayock's top 100. Stephenson was 96.

Still that being said, it seems there were better players at both positions when we made those picks - Osemele and Konz in rd 2 and Massie and Sanders at OT in rd 3. Not sure why Allen and Stephenson were higher up on our board.

Stephenson is a solid player who should thrive in the zone system.

Allen...I just don't know. Hudson is obviously playing center as they passed on Peter Konz for Allen.

All I know is that this is the death knell for Brandon Albert - at least at the left tackle position.

Both Allen and Stephenson are substantially better pass protectors at the same stage than Albert.

Hell, I think that Poe is going to end up at the five tech versus the NT spot.

Dorsey and Albert are effectively gone unless a massive restructure of salary is in their future.

Direckshun
04-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Left tackle potential for Stephenson, Sac?

Saccopoo
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Left tackle potential for Stephenson, Sac?

I don't know where else he plays in this system.

And Allen could play there as well.

I thought Stephenson was a good fit for this team at the left tackle spot going into this draft and by picking him in the third, it's obvious that they have plans going forward about making some changes to the line. Especially after drafting Allen in the second. After drafting Hudson and Asamoah the previous two years.

mcaj22
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
is there a possibility that Brandon Albert walks?

after a year of grooming either of these guys we drafted could play LT, and that is both their college position, so.... errr... lol

Douche Baggins
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
All I know is that this is the death knell for Brandon Albert - at least at the left tackle position.

:spock:

Yeah, it's not possible Stephenson is just the backup for now, or that the guy tabbed to be a left guard is gonna be the left guard.

It's gonna take a very good left tackle to unseat Albert. He would need to be one of the top 10 left tackles in the league most likely. Finding one of those in the third round doesn't happen often.

acesn8s
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM

This "no real needs" thing might become a trend for the Chiefs. Next year I think we have a very similar situation, and might be in a position to package picks to move up to take a QB.Right after we address the defensive line....again. BTW the oline is not fixed til proven otherwise.

Saccopoo
04-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Yeah, it's not possible Stephenson is just the backup for now, or that the guy tabbed to be a left guard is gonna be the left guard.

It's gonna take a very good left tackle to unseat Albert. He would need to be one of the top 10 left tackles in the league most likely. Finding one of those in the third round doesn't happen often.

I'd love to be a smart ass in response, but you wouldn't get it.

Albert is mediocre. At least last season. Prior to that, he was fucking horrible. Not good. Mediocre. And I don't give a shit to whatever meaningless stat you pull up from PFF that you so enjoy this past season. He's got terrible footwork and he's always going to be a lunge blocker. Watch the games.

And with high picks of Allen and Stephenson (both of which have substantially better foot work than Albert), it's a hedge against having to pay Albert top left tackle money versus the actualy on field production value that he has.

Douche Baggins
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM
The guy gave up 5 sacks and 13 pressures all year.

Those aren't meaningless statistics.

Stephenson isn't even gonna see the field as a right tackle this year. How's he gonna get enough PT to develop and take Albert's spot in one year.

Dream on, dipshit.

kcchiefsus
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Sac is a dumbfuck, let's not pretend he knows what he's talking about.

The Dawg
04-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Loved this pick. We need all the help we can get on the O-Line. Starters and depth.

Douche Baggins
04-27-2012, 11:14 PM
And FYI, Albert had a very fucking solid rookie year, and everyone here but you acknowledges it.

okcchief
04-27-2012, 11:16 PM
It's a solid pick.

PGM
04-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Sucks.

They took a fifth/sixth rounder in the second.

But then again, this draft has been a weird one from that perspective. A lot of guys are getting drafted that should/may have been there a lot later than their drafted positions.

:spock: Bullshit

Your boner for Konz is showing.

Rain Man
04-29-2012, 08:53 AM
What's the deal with this guy? I've looked up a couple of things on him and he was projected as a 6th-7th rounder by different sources. Did he mutilate the combine or something?

Rausch
04-29-2012, 09:08 AM
The upside is saying adios to Lilja.

I hope.

This. Unless Lilja is there for depth do not want...

Rausch
04-29-2012, 09:10 AM
What's the deal with this guy? I've looked up a couple of things on him and he was projected as a 6th-7th rounder by different sources. Did he mutilate the combine or something?

The difference in skill sets for a G and a T.

Slow feet at G don't hurt as much as when you have to take on pass rushers on the edge at T...

philfree
04-29-2012, 09:23 AM

I haven't seen that. Scouts Inc had him at #36 and then I've seen him on the other side listed at #60something a couple places and then a #70something.

As fans we just have to realize that the player rankings we see on various websites isn't an NFL team draft board. Massie was listed ahead of Allen on everyboard I've seen and yet he was on the board alot longer. I'll go out on a limb and say that in our situation trying to upgrade the o line and add depth to it that Pioli had a high value on versatility.

philfree
04-29-2012, 09:26 AM
This. Unless Lilja is there for depth do not want...

I can see Lilja start the season as the starter. Do we really want to start the season with a new young C and then put a rookie beside him at LG?

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm down

JohnnyHammersticks
04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Michael Lombardi loves the Allen pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828841a1/article/saints-raiders-others-find-good-value-with-limited-draft-picks

Oscar Wilde once said, "What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

This applies perfectly to the NFL draft. There's no need to be cynical when assessing how teams drafted. Some teams did great, some did decently and others need to be judged over time. No one be said to have done poorly yet; determining that takes more than 24 hours.

However, I do know the value of finding championship-caliber starting players, and the 2012 NFL Draft was full of 'em. In trying to determine the best value picks, I have excluded the first round, because the price of picking there makes it impossible to get a bargain. There are no discount stores on Rodeo Drive.

So here are my top 12 value picks in the 2012 NFL Draft:

1. Jeff Allen, OT/OG, Kansas City (44th pick overall). The ex-Illinois grinder can play multiple positions along the offensive line. He is tough, smart and will be a starter soon.

2. Mike Adams, OT, Pittsburgh (56th). Besides Matt Kalil, Adams was the best left tackle prospect in the draft. The Ohio State Buckeye's off-field issues caused concern for many teams, but Pittsburgh seems to think it can work through these problems. And when the Steelers do, they will have a quality left tackle for an incredible value.

3. Demario Davis, LB, N.Y. Jets (77th). Out of Arkansas State, Davis is a fast linebacker with great rush ability who can play all three downs. He will bring much-needed speed to the Jets' slow linebacking corps.

4. Akiem Hicks, DE, New Orleans (89th). With their first pick in the draft, the Saints found a defensive lineman with great size and even greater upside, which is normally hard to do in the third round. The Canadian college star epitomizes great value.

5. Omar Bolden, CB, Denver (101st). The Arizona State product would have been picked late in the first or early in the second round, had he not injured his knee last spring. Though it might take some time for him to get healthy, once he is, I fully expect him to regain his talent level and become a starter for the Broncos.

6. Frank Alexander, DE, Carolina (103rd). Alexander has great arm length and inside quickness, and he seems to have a knack for making plays. The ex-Sooner should be able to contribute to the Panthers defense right away.

7. Tank Carder, LB, Buffalo (147th). Carder, of TCU, is an instinctive three-down player who can become a starter for the Bills, giving them a linebacker with much-needed speed and athletic skills.

8. Jack Crawford, DE, Oakland (158th). Like the Saints, the Raiders did not have many picks, but they got a nice value by finding Crawford in the fifth round. The Penn State product is big, raw and willing to learn. In 2013, the Raiders could have a starting defensive lineman.

9. Vick Ballard, RB, Indianapolis (170th). Ballard is a productive back with burst acceleration and the ability to play on all three downs. The ex-Mississippi State star might not be the fastest back on the Colts' roster, but he will be the best very soon.

10. Billy Winn, DT, Cleveland (205th). Winn was a medical concern coming out of Boise State, which is why he slipped to the sixth round. But if his health checks out, he is capable of being a good rotational inside defensive lineman.

11. Caleb McSurdy, LB, Dallas (222nd). McSurdy might never start for Dallas, but he is capable of being a core special-teams member and playing a role in the Cowboys' sub defense. He is smart, tough and willing, which makes him a real value in the seventh round.

12. Cam Johnson, DE, San Francisco (237th). Johnson's great athletic skills often didn't translate into production. He will be playing for a competitive coach in Jim Harbaugh who is capable of finding a way to bring that skill level to the football field.

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
A lineman who can move between positions is important.

Having a GM make a "Wow" pick, that ends up good, is very cool too.

From that standpoint, Allen may end up being a great pick. Or not. Heh.

milkman
04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Michael Lombardi loves the Allen pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828841a1/article/saints-raiders-others-find-good-value-with-limited-draft-picks

Oscar Wilde once said, "What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

This applies perfectly to the NFL draft. There's no need to be cynical when assessing how teams drafted. Some teams did great, some did decently and others need to be judged over time. No one be said to have done poorly yet; determining that takes more than 24 hours.

However, I do know the value of finding championship-caliber starting players, and the 2012 NFL Draft was full of 'em. In trying to determine the best value picks, I have excluded the first round, because the price of picking there makes it impossible to get a bargain. There are no discount stores on Rodeo Drive.

So here are my top 12 value picks in the 2012 NFL Draft:

1. Jeff Allen, OT/OG, Kansas City (44th pick overall). The ex-Illinois grinder can play multiple positions along the offensive line. He is tough, smart and will be a starter soon.

2. Mike Adams, OT, Pittsburgh (56th). Besides Matt Kalil, Adams was the best left tackle prospect in the draft. The Ohio State Buckeye's off-field issues caused concern for many teams, but Pittsburgh seems to think it can work through these problems. And when the Steelers do, they will have a quality left tackle for an incredible value.

3. Demario Davis, LB, N.Y. Jets (77th). Out of Arkansas State, Davis is a fast linebacker with great rush ability who can play all three downs. He will bring much-needed speed to the Jets' slow linebacking corps.

4. Akiem Hicks, DE, New Orleans (89th). With their first pick in the draft, the Saints found a defensive lineman with great size and even greater upside, which is normally hard to do in the third round. The Canadian college star epitomizes great value.

5. Omar Bolden, CB, Denver (101st). The Arizona State product would have been picked late in the first or early in the second round, had he not injured his knee last spring. Though it might take some time for him to get healthy, once he is, I fully expect him to regain his talent level and become a starter for the Broncos.

6. Frank Alexander, DE, Carolina (103rd). Alexander has great arm length and inside quickness, and he seems to have a knack for making plays. The ex-Sooner should be able to contribute to the Panthers defense right away.

7. Tank Carder, LB, Buffalo (147th). Carder, of TCU, is an instinctive three-down player who can become a starter for the Bills, giving them a linebacker with much-needed speed and athletic skills.

8. Jack Crawford, DE, Oakland (158th). Like the Saints, the Raiders did not have many picks, but they got a nice value by finding Crawford in the fifth round. The Penn State product is big, raw and willing to learn. In 2013, the Raiders could have a starting defensive lineman.

9. Vick Ballard, RB, Indianapolis (170th). Ballard is a productive back with burst acceleration and the ability to play on all three downs. The ex-Mississippi State star might not be the fastest back on the Colts' roster, but he will be the best very soon.

10. Billy Winn, DT, Cleveland (205th). Winn was a medical concern coming out of Boise State, which is why he slipped to the sixth round. But if his health checks out, he is capable of being a good rotational inside defensive lineman.

11. Caleb McSurdy, LB, Dallas (222nd). McSurdy might never start for Dallas, but he is capable of being a core special-teams member and playing a role in the Cowboys' sub defense. He is smart, tough and willing, which makes him a real value in the seventh round.

12. Cam Johnson, DE, San Francisco (237th). Johnson's great athletic skills often didn't translate into production. He will be playing for a competitive coach in Jim Harbaugh who is capable of finding a way to bring that skill level to the football field.

Haven't you heard that the NFL Network are just schills for Clark Hunt, that they only want to help sell tickets in KC because Clark Hunt sits on the media committee?

Can't believe anything those schills have to say.

melbar
04-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Lindys had him as a 6th or 7th round pick. Quote " looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane". That's who I was hoping for in the 2nd....

Brock
04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Where did Athlon draft guide have him? I forgot to pick one up at QT.

melbar
04-29-2012, 08:10 PM
NFL.com also lists him as being a 6th or
7th round pick who should develop into a nice backup on both sides.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Haven't you heard that the NFL Network are just schills for Clark Hunt, that they only want to help sell tickets in KC because Clark Hunt sits on the media committee?

Can't believe anything those schills have to say.

What the fuck? What fucking idiot would say something like that. LMAO

milkman
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
What the fuck? What fucking idiot would say something like that. LMAO

ChiefsFan 50/50.

milkman
04-29-2012, 08:22 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259036&page=2

Post #86 and #91

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Post #86 and #91

What a fucking loser miserable bastard. LMAO

Brianfo
04-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Post #86 and #91

Go to bed grandpa. It's past your bedtime.

Brock
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Go to bed grandpa. It's past your bedtime.

Have you considered killing yourself?

Rain Man
04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Where did Athlon draft guide have him? I forgot to pick one up at QT.

6th to 7th round. That's what i'm looking at. They list our 3rd round guy as a 7th round or udfa.

KurtCobain
04-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Have you considered killing yourself?

Hey, now.

BigChiefFan
04-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Looking at the drop-off after Allen, I understand why we made the pick when we did.