PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: Pioli's drafting technique.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:00 AM
If my job was to draft for a football team, which asked me to scout roughly 400 to 500 players throughout all of college football (as well as occasional internationals), let's examine the most efficient means of doing so:

Clearly the most efficient way of doing so would be to have some sort of metric, or system that you use to determine Desireables from the rest.

That way you can simply take every player, fit it to your preconceived notions of what makes a player a fit for your system, and you can use that metric as shorthand to measure all players, including minor adjustments for exceptions.

The evidence is clear that that's what NFL teams almost always do. The Chiefs, under Pioli, don't.

They do it the long way, the hard way, the complex way. They literally judge every single player on their own merits. Any rules that they could potentially make, they break on a regular basis, in occasionally such wild ways that it makes you question if that was ever a rule of theirs in the first place.

Jackson, Berry, Baldwin, Poe

You just could not get four more radically different prospects than that, and the same brass selected all of them.

Experience? Level of competition? Character? Positional value?

Varies radically from player to player. It really is a radical kind of front office this franchise has.

buddha
04-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Jackson appears to be ready to break out this season. Berry was great when he was selected and very well known by everybody. Baldwin is still a massive question, but he looks rocked up. Poe has unlimited potential and zero accomplishment.

This is a very different group of players. Hard to see any trends in those selections.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:06 AM
I just think you need a hobby or interest that's separate from what the Chiefs do until you're employed by them.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
I just think you need a hobby or interest that's separate from what the Chiefs do until you're employed by them.

Been like six years now, and I still find myself surprised when people bitch about football conversation on ChiefsPlanet.

I'm at least less surprised now than I used to be. So.

Count Alex's Losses
04-28-2012, 01:12 AM

You should shut up.

buddha
04-28-2012, 01:16 AM
You should shut up.

He should, but he's a Beaker so I'm not surprised.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:19 AM
I've decided to shift the focus of this thread to examining the worth of Dr's membership.

Is this (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/search.php?searchid=672377) what you'd call the ideal pattern of posting?

The NEW worst song EVVAARRRRRR!!!
My favorite new song in a while
Have you done hard drugs?
Who's your favorite poster on CP?
Quick! Name the first 5...
I'll probably buy this car tomorrow
Happy national compliment day
For you metros that shave...

Really impressive resume you've built there, Dr.

I'm certain there's a difference between your postings and the inane ramblings of a 16-year-old girl, but it must be so late into the evening I'm at a loss to pinpoint one.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Been like six years now, and I still find myself surprised when people bitch about football conversation on ChiefsPlanet.

I'm at least less surprised now than I used to be. So.

I wasn't bitching I just find over-analisation amusing I guess. I'm heavy into baseball and college basketball. I just don't consume myself with who the Royals drafted or who KU has recruited because none of it matters but what happens on the field/court and those things often don't correlate.

Case in point... KU had 0 McDonalds All Americans on the team last year but made it to the title game. Draft picks are all just hope and glammor.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:23 AM
You should shut up.

But if I did you wouldn't pay attention to me and that's what I need.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:24 AM
I wasn't bitching I just find over-analisation amusing I guess. I'm heavy into baseball and college basketball. I just don't consume myself with who the Royals drafted or who KU has recruited because none of it matters but what happens on the field/court and those things often don't correlate.

Interesting thought, but I disagree.

The draft is, at essense, a crapshoot. Just like recruiting.

But it's not a total crapshoot. The teams that draft the best, draft the best consistently. And they end up with the best teams. This is not by coincidence.

Same thing with KU -- I think you're a KU fan. KU brings in consistently better recruiting classes than just about anybody in basketball, and dreadful classes in football. Consequently, they typically have great basketball games and terrible football teams.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:27 AM
I've decided to shift the focus of this thread to examining the worth of Dr's membership.

Is this (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/search.php?searchid=672377) what you'd call the ideal pattern of posting?

I'm certain there's a difference between your postings and the inane ramblings of a 16-year-old girl, but it must be so late into the evening I'm at a loss to pinpoint one.

That's impressive butthurt. Please don't let some Know-nothing-part-time football fan get in the way of your enjoyment. Sometimes people just ignore posts that don't contribute.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:31 AM
That's impressive butthurt. Please don't let some Know-nothing-part-time football fan get in the way of your enjoyment. Sometimes people just ignore posts that don't contribute.

I was happily ignoring your bullshit until you started in with the "too many football threads" shit or whatever your first response in this thread was supposed to be. Don't hold it against me or anything, I'd hate to have my name dropped next time you decide to start a "which CPer is like teh totes meanie" thread.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Interesting thought, but I disagree.

The draft is, at essense, a crapshoot. Just like recruiting.

But it's not a total crapshoot. The teams that draft the best, draft the best consistently. And they end up with the best teams. This is not by coincidence.

Same thing with KU -- I think you're a KU fan. KU brings in consistently better recruiting classes than just about anybody in basketball, and dreadful classes in football. Consequently, they typically have great basketball games and terrible football teams.

KU is usually behind Kentucky, UNC... maybe Duke... maybe another or two in recruiting the top players. That's what I mean though... KU had 0 All Americans last year but still beat UNC and Ohio State (twice) so really coaching means more to me.

I didn't come in here to throw off the topic... just express my opinion. Didn't think it would get any play.

Back to what you were doing.... I'll leave.

Count Alex's Losses
04-28-2012, 01:33 AM

http://i.imgur.com/66XOw.gif

Direckshun just fucking slayed Beer Me. I mean straight up embarrassed his worthless, middle-aged, nonsensical fart-whiff of a posting history.

I saw that post and just fucking stared at it for a minute, like a cow looks at an oncoming freight train. Then I bathed in Direckshun's holy flame, was cleansed by the utter purity and perfection of it all, and suddenly felt more alive than ever before.

I became one with the universe. I was everything, and everything was me. It was like being inside joy. I have fucking seen God, and it's Direckshun going hard as a motherfucker on yet another worthless Beer Me post and not holding back one iota of his Super Saiyan Trolling Might.

That was a fucking great post, man. You grabbed that pussy by the balls, way down near the base of the taint, and just ripped upward until there was no charge for that back alley gender reassignment assault.

You're a goddamn fucking legend here on Chiefsplanet.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rh2s68.jpg

Urc Burry
04-28-2012, 01:34 AM
It seems to me like Pioli goes into the draft focusing on a certain type of players each year.

'09: Who knows
'10: Playmakers/Leaders
'11: Freaks
'12: Bigs

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Back to what you were doing.... I'll leave.

Just as this thread had wheels.

Damn.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:35 AM

Direckshun just ****ing slayed Beer Me. I mean straight up embarrassed his worthless, middle-aged, nonsensical fart-whiff of a posting history.

I saw that post and just ****ing stared at it for a minute, like a cow looks at an oncoming freight train. Then I bathed in Direckshun's holy flame, was cleansed by the utter purity and perfection of it all, and suddenly felt more alive than ever before.

I became one with the universe. I was everything, and everything was me. It was like being inside joy. I have ****ing seen God, and it's Direckshun going hard as a mother****er on yet another worthless Beer Me post and not holding back one iota of his Super Saiyan Trolling Might.

That was a ****ing great post, man. You grabbed that pussy by the balls, way down near the base of the taint, and just ripped upward until there was no charge for that back alley gender reassignment assault.

You're a goddamn ****ing legend here on Chiefsplanet.

http://ot-upload.com/i/sghf4.gif

Goddamn.

Next stop: the White House.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:36 AM
I was happily ignoring your bullshit until you started in with the "too many football threads" shit or whatever your first response in this thread was supposed to be. Don't hold it against me or anything, I'd hate to have my name dropped next time you decide to start a "which CPer is like teh totes meanie" thread.

A. Ignoring is the opposite of you

B. I never said "too many football threads" I just expressed my opinion on this one.

C. I don't understand the rest of your post

D. Please carry on

E. Enjoy

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:40 AM
A. Ignoring is the opposite of you

B. I never said "too many football threads" I just expressed my opinion on this one.

C. I don't understand the rest of your post

D. Please carry on

E. Enjoy

No, really. I have virtually all of your goofy ass threads on ignore.

Helps siphon the forum down to the material that's actually worth the bandwidth.

tk13
04-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Pioli is meticulously freakish. I'm sure you could spend hours debating what the merits are and whether they are the right criteria... but I find it pretty foolish to assume they don't have a fairly thorough strategy for evaluating players. That's pretty much true for any front office, even ones who are terrible at drafting. Just because they don't share it with idiot joe fan doesn't mean it fails to exist.

But at the end of the day these guys aren't robots, they are human. Each case is different. That's probably the main flaw with sabermetrics. It probably turns people into numbers a bit too much. These guys are all humans with varying responses to success, failure, pressure situations, etc.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:44 AM
No, really. I have virtually all of your goofy ass threads on ignore.

Helps siphon the forum down to the material that's actually worth the bandwidth.

That's cool. Pretty much the same here. I had 142 threads on ignore last I checked. Mostly soccer, Cardinals, MU and Gochiefs stuff. I don't talk much football because I don't care about much football. It's always fun to wander into one of these threads though heh.

Go........ Chiefs....

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:47 AM
That's cool. Pretty much the same here. I had 142 threads on ignore last I checked. Mostly soccer, Cardinals, MU and Gochiefs stuff. I don't talk much football because I don't care about much football. It's always fun to wander into one of these threads though heh.

Go........ Chiefs....

Welp. That just happened.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Pioli is meticulously freakish. I'm sure you could spend hours debating what the merits are and whether they are the right criteria... but I find it pretty foolish to assume they don't have a fairly thorough strategy for evaluating players. That's pretty much true for any front office, even ones who are terrible at drafting. Just because they don't share it with idiot joe fan doesn't mean it fails to exist.

But at the end of the day these guys aren't robots, they are human. Each case is different. That's probably the main flaw with sabermetrics. It probably turns people into numbers a bit too much. These guys are all humans with varying responses to success, failure, pressure situations, etc.

Exactly right.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Welp. That just happened.

Yeah that's never been a secret. 3rd favorite sport about 12 miles behind #2. But I do root for the Chiefs when it comes to the NFL.

Lumpy
04-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Goddamn.

Next stop: the White House.

On your way to the White House, you might want to stop off and grab a towel. That was by far the biggest suck-off I've ever seen on here. ROFL

Way to go, Clay! You go girl!! :thumb:

Frosty
04-28-2012, 02:05 AM
I have been trying to figure out if the draft this year is because Romeo has more say, because of the loss of Emery, or it's just a weird draft and the chips have fallen this way. It's hard to tell at this point.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-28-2012, 02:06 AM
On your way to the White House, you might want to stop off and grab a towel. That was by far the biggest suck-off I've ever seen on here. ROFL

Way to go, Clay! You go girl!! :thumb:

Did queerbait post something good? Damn it... ignore works after all.

Pawnmower
04-28-2012, 03:25 AM
Direcshun is a douche on a personality level, but he adds more to this site than Dr.Noonan will ever add to anything in his life. I mean that with all seriousness. Dr.Noonecaresaboutyou is probably the most worthless piece of shit on this site that I haven't ignored yet.

FOAD Noonewilltouchyou

ChiefsNow
04-28-2012, 03:30 AM
I didn't think this was gonna be a popcorn eating thread.

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 03:38 AM
You just could not get four more radically different prospects than that, and the same brass selected all of them.

Varies radically from player to player. It really is a radical kind of front office this franchise has.

That's rad man.

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Direcshun is a douche on a personality level, but he adds more to this site than Dr.Noonan will ever add to anything in his life. I mean that with all seriousness. Dr.Noonecaresaboutyou is probably the most worthless piece of shit on this site that I haven't ignored yet.

FOAD Noonewilltouchyou

I liked it when his name was beerme.

Pawnmower
04-28-2012, 03:41 AM
I liked it when his name was beerme.

I liked the part where OP said Radical

Dave Lane
04-28-2012, 05:53 AM

FOAD Noonewilltouchyou

It's like a black fly in your Chardonnay...

Sfeihc
04-28-2012, 06:22 AM
In beerme's defense anyone who quotes Ernie Harwell can't be all bad.

D, Pioli seems to be having the type of draft that I've wanted for years and years. The game is won at the line of scrimmage. Chiefs needed to get better on both sides and this draft specifically addresses those needs.

jspchief
04-28-2012, 06:35 AM
The thing about this years draft so far, it appears that every pick KC has made was about "need". At first blush, that seems great. But conventional wisdom says ignoring BPA for need isn't a great strategy.

Der Flöprer
04-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Damn. This was a highly entertaining thread.

Gary
04-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Direckshun just ****ing slayed Beer Me. I mean straight up embarrassed his worthless, middle-aged, nonsensical fart-whiff of a posting history.

I saw that post and just ****ing stared at it for a minute, like a cow looks at an oncoming freight train. Then I bathed in Direckshun's holy flame, was cleansed by the utter purity and perfection of it all, and suddenly felt more alive than ever before.

I became one with the universe. I was everything, and everything was me. It was like being inside joy. I have ****ing seen God, and it's Direckshun going hard as a mother****er on yet another worthless Beer Me post and not holding back one iota of his Super Saiyan Trolling Might.

That was a ****ing great post, man. You grabbed that pussy by the balls, way down near the base of the taint, and just ripped upward until there was no charge for that back alley gender reassignment assault.

You're a goddamn ****ing legend here on Chiefsplanet.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rh2s68.jpg

This guy has something to say about that:

http://youtu.be/FF7ouCjSPB4?t=46s

griZZly64
04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Metric? Man grow a pair.

Okie_Apparition
04-28-2012, 08:57 AM
The LNBS series brought to you by The Owl Network

Saccopoo
04-28-2012, 08:57 AM
The thing about this years draft so far, it appears that every pick KC has made was about "need". At first blush, that seems great. But conventional wisdom says ignoring BPA for need isn't a great strategy.

Neither is BPA as you end up with the Detroit Lions. Receiver after receiver after receiver and then they draft Fairley in the first last year to be a back up.

They did luck out this year though.

ChiefsNow
04-28-2012, 09:01 AM
In beerme's defense anyone who quotes Ernie Harwell can't be all bad.

D, Pioli seems to be having the type of draft that I've wanted for years and years. The game is won at the line of scrimmage. Chiefs needed to get better on both sides and this draft specifically addresses those needs.

What better time to go all out on beefing up the Lines than when there are few QBs to choose from. :thumb:

SNR
04-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Goddamn.

Next stop: the White House.HYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAARRRGHH!!!

Count Alex's Losses
04-28-2012, 09:13 AM
The game is won at the line of scrimmage.

The Giants had the worst-ranked pass blocking line last year, and the 29th ranked run blocking line.

The best pass blocking team in the league was the Buffalo Bills. The best run blocking team was the Vikings.

LINE OF SCRIMMAGE BROS!

SNR
04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Neither is BPA as you end up with the Detroit Lions. Receiver after receiver after receiver and then they draft Fairley in the first last year to be a back up.

They did luck out this year though.Ryan Broyles is any different than Titus Young?

They're the same shit rape Lions. Their defense is still a pile of shit

jspchief
04-28-2012, 09:23 AM

They did luck out this year though.

I'm not suggesting ignoring need. There has to be a balance.

But this years Chiefs draft feels like they are going down a needs checklist, picking their top available guy at each need.

O.city
04-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Well we have 5 picks left to make. This is where we need to draft really well, as there are still alot of starter type players left.

Simplicity
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I wonder how much people have me on ignore?

donkhater
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I think in the last few years, drafting has become even simpler. This is a QB league. The haves are among the best, most consistent teams in the league and the have nots are consistently at or under .500. This is not for dispute. It's so obvious it isn't even worth discussing.

Guess where KC has been in the last few years? It is not a coincidence.

When they had Trent Green and the league's worst defense, they still were threats.

Pioli's miindset is firmly set in the 1980-90s with Bill Parcells. It worked back then when the league had a different set of rules. It doesn't today. He THINKS it still works because he lucked into one of the best QBs ever while in New England and won Super Bowls. He thinks it was due to drafting. It was. He drafted Tom Brady. End of discussion.

Chief Roundup
04-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Wonder if this is where we draft our starting C. Then the OLine will be complete.

Marcellus
04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Clearly the most efficient way of doing so would be to have some sort of metric, or system that you use to determine Desireables from the rest.

That way you can simply take every player, fit it to your preconceived notions of what makes a player a fit for your system, and you can use that metric as shorthand to measure all players, including minor adjustments for exceptions.

The evidence is clear that that's what NFL teams almost always do. The Chiefs, under Pioli, don't.

It is clear you haven't read War Room or you would know you are 100% wrong.

Pioli and his scouts use a very specific grading system that results in a number being given to each player. Part of this grading system includes odds of them becoming a starter and who they would likely replace on the roster whether it be a starting CB or a backup QB.

The book is almost as much about Pioli and Dimitroff as it is Belichick and it discusses Pioli's drafting in KC and ends leading up to the 2011 season.

But hey, believe what you want, it's not like Micheal Holley had total access to Pioli and company to write the book or anything, I am sure he was lying in the acknowledgments section at the end of the book.

Now you may be completely wrong about how they evaluate players, it is fair to question the results.

Fairplay
04-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Well we have 5 picks left to make. This is where we need to draft really well, as there are still alot of starter type players left.

This thread got derailed now its back on track. Maybe there will be a train wreck later on so we can drive by it slowly and stare in amazement.

I agree, this part of the draft is where your scouting staff puts the rubber to the road and earns their money. Find the diamonds in the rough and the needles in the haystack. Find the next Jared Allen perhaps.

rico
04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
I remember watching an interview with Pioli regarding his Tom Brady pick in the 6th round. He basically stated that they thought he was good, but really didn't know that he was "the Tom Brady as we know him now" good. He basically downplayed the perception of the pick being genious because they had picked him so low, meaning they were wrong about his capabilities too. He said that in hindsight, if he were to redo that draft knowing what he knows now about Tom Brady's capabilities, he would have drafted him in the 1st round REGARDLESS of what the general projection was of Brady at the time (I'm assuming he was perc eived as a 4-7 round prospect at the time). I thought that was a bit telling of Pioli's draft strategy. I think Pioli puts more emphasis on his own perceived (or known) value of a prospect than most GM's do in terms of the balance between personal opinion of a particular player and their general projection. Sure, if Pioli knew then what he knows now about Brady (excluding how far he actually fell in the draft) it doesn't sound too crazy to select Brady in the 1st round considering he has been the most accomplished QB of all time. BUT, you also have to keep in mind what other GM's/coaches DIDN'T know about Brady at the time and in Brady's case, was there anyone on the planet who projected him to go in the first 2 rounds? I think if Pioli notices something about a player that he loves or just plain and simply loves a prospect in general, he is more inclined to grab them immediately regardless of their projections just in case another GM/coach/scout notices the same thing about the prospect that he does. I think he possesses this mindset combined with an above average unwillingness to give up later round or following year picks.

rico
04-28-2012, 10:02 AM
It is clear you haven't read War Room or you would know you are 100% wrong.

Pioli and his scouts use a very specific grading system that results in a number being given to each player. Part of this grading system includes odds of them becoming a starter and who they would likely replace on the roster whether it be a starting CB or a backup QB.

The book is almost as much about Pioli and Dimitroff as it is Belichick and it discusses Pioli's drafting in KC and ends leading up to the 2011 season.

But hey, believe what you want, it's not like Micheal Holley had total access to Pioli and company to write the book or anything, I am sure he was lying in the acknowledgments section at the end of the book.

Now you may be completely wrong about how they evaluate players, it is fair to question the results.

Man I've got to purchase that book.

ChiefsNow
04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I remember watching an interview with Pioli regarding his Tom Brady pick in the 6th round. He basically stated that they thought he was good, but really didn't know that he was "the Tom Brady as we know him now" good. He basically downplayed the perception of the pick being genious because they had picked him so low, meaning they were wrong about his capabilities too. He said that in hindsight, if he were to redo that draft knowing what he knows now about Tom Brady's capabilities, he would have drafted him in the 1st round REGARDLESS of what the general projection was of Brady at the time (I'm assuming he was perc eived as a 4-7 round prospect at the time). I thought that was a bit telling of Pioli's draft strategy. I think Pioli puts more emphasis on his own perceived (or known) value of a prospect than most GM's do in terms of the balance between personal opinion of a particular player and their general projection. Sure, if Pioli knew then what he knows now about Brady (excluding how far he actually fell in the draft) it doesn't sound too crazy to select Brady in the 1st round considering he has been the most accomplished QB of all time. BUT, you also have to keep in mind what other GM's/coaches DIDN'T know about Brady at the time and in Brady's case, was there anyone on the planet who projected him to go in the first 2 rounds? I think if Pioli notices something about a player that he loves or just plain and simply loves a prospect in general, he is more inclined to grab them immediately regardless of their projections just in case another GM/coach/scout notices the same thing about the prospect that he does. I think he possesses this mindset combined with an above average unwillingness to give up upcoming later round or following year picks.

I like the way you worded that. That's why I started the diamond in the rough thread. Hoping we could snag another Tom Brady.

Marcellus
04-28-2012, 10:11 AM

I would say its good but not a great read. It does give some insight into how they handle player evaluation etc....

The book doesn't paint Pioli the way he is now perceived but I don't know how much of that is the book taking a certain slant or the media taking theirs. Its likely a combo of both.

One thing it does say in the book is Pioli hates being in the lime light so he doesn't say much to media or anyone else. That leaves a lot of open space for people to fill with opinion and can create an image of arrogance. I prefer to judge strictly on wins so he isn't doing to well right now in my mind.

One impression I got from the book that surprised me is that under Peterson and company it appears there were quite a few people taking advantage of the Hunt's and the fact they live in Dallas and not in KC. They were totally dependent on other people to track where certain $ was going etc...and it sounds like things were run pretty loose from a $ standpoint.

I think when Pioli and company saw things that didn't look right and started replacing people they felt were coasting that is where a lot of the butt hurt started with the office employees etc....It's not like Pioli could come out and say people were taking advantage and being lazy either because it would be embarrassing to the Hunt's to have let things get out of control.

Frosty
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I wonder how much people have me on ignore?

I do

Just Passin' By
04-28-2012, 11:03 AM

If you hunt around the web, you can download it for free. Well, to be more accurate, up until as recently as a month ago, you could download it for free. I'm not 100% positive that's still the case, as I haven't checked since then.