PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Osweiler... your thoughts?

Mile High Mania
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I honestly know very little about him. The guy has a relatively small body of work from college... big dude, strong arm... but, I thought he appeared a bit like a dork and not incredibly genuine to me in the Grunden QB thing.

I dunno... I supposed they could have had him in the next round, maybe not. Just doesn't feel like a pick they had to make there. If he can sit and learn for 2-3 years, sure... I guess.

Any of you familiar with him?

Hoover
04-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I read hear that he was going to take us to the Super Bowl, you guys should just cut Manning.

chiefzilla1501
04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
People were so gung ho about Tannehill.

This is the guy I wanted because I think his upside is a lot higher, even if he's a LOT less safe. First of all, I think he's a leader. He seems like a guy who can command the huddle late in the game whereas Tannehill seemed to be a bit shaky. More importantly, I like his physical upside. I think he can be Big Ben. Big Ben doesn't have to be great at reading defenses, because he buys himself so much time with his big body that he can afford to take a little longer. I think Osweiller can be groomed to be that same kind of QB. Big body, hard to take down, can sit in the pocket for 5+ seconds and still get a pass off. And perfect situation, since he needs a ton of work and you now have 2-3 years to focus only on developing him.

I'm kind of pissed he didn't fall to the Chiefs, to be honest.

ChiefsNow
04-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I was hoping we took him, but I don't know diddly. I just imagined him filling out and being hard to bring down. Rapesburger type but even bigger.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I guess with the "SB or Bust" mentality that they should have with Manning now and such a short window to make the investment worth it... I would have gone another path. Oh well.

DA_T_84
04-28-2012, 10:17 AM
I didnt want Tannehill at all, and I didnt want this slapdick either.

He reminds me of Rivers without the talent. So, he's just a dorky bitch.

I'm not too sure how mobile he is.

rico
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM
First off, his personality is funny to me due to being seemingly inadvertently cocky.

He has an unorthodox throwing motion...sometimes appears sidearm-ish, but I think he is able to get away with that more than the average QB due to his height.

His decision making can be very questionable...had a real big "wtf" moment vs. Boise State.

I'm with chiefzilla in terms of thinking he has more upside than Tannehill.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2012, 10:26 AM
First off, his personality is funny to me due to being seemingly inadvertently cocky.

He has an unorthodox throwing motion...sometimes appears sidearm-ish, but I think he is able to get away with that more than the average QB due to his height.

His decision making can be very questionable...had a real big "wtf" moment vs. Boise State.

Yeah, I've seen some video and it looks like he is imitating the Indiana Jones "whip style" passing motion.

Al Bundy
04-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Already better than Cassel.

Bane
04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Trade ya For Cassel and a 6pack.

the Talking Can
04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
real tall

DTLB58
04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I watched Gruden's piece with him thought he looked and acted totally gay.

Perfect definition of "pretty boy"

But hey, you got this going for you. As long as Elway is there QB will not be ignored.

More than I can say for our Stubborn 2 year old GM who can't recognize the biggest issue on this team.

beach tribe
04-28-2012, 10:47 AM
You really had to take Oz too huh?

DTLB58
04-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Very slow windup also.

Saul Good
04-28-2012, 10:54 AM
I honestly know very little about him. The guy has a relatively small body of work from college... big dude, strong arm... but, I thought he appeared a bit like a dork and not incredibly genuine to me in the Grunden QB thing.

I dunno... I supposed they could have had him in the next round, maybe not. Just doesn't feel like a pick they had to make there. If he can sit and learn for 2-3 years, sure... I guess.

Any of you familiar with him?

Funny that you said that about not being genuine. I thought his answers all sounded extremely coached (not necessarily a bad thing, though). Also, his motion isn't sidearm as much as short armed. He just kind of flings it. Combine that with throwing off his back foot all the time, and it just seems like he throwing without confidence.

I still wanted him, though.

wazu
04-28-2012, 10:59 AM
You really had to take Oz too huh?

No kidding. Only consolation is that this pick doesn't help Manning.

Von Dumbass
04-28-2012, 11:03 AM
talked to friend in scouting community who compared #broncos rookie QB Brock Osweiler's upside to that of #steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

https://twitter.com/#!/cecillammey/status/196260114410373121

Bowser
04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
talked to friend in scouting community who compared #broncos rookie QB Brock Osweiler's upside to that of #steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

Chris Harbin‏@Chris_Harbin

Details

@cecillammey Frankenstein like sex offender?

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2012, 11:08 AM

LMAO

He's nothing like Ben.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2012, 11:08 AM

I think most subscribe to the same Twitter feeds as you... I've seen all these as well. Most picks at this point in the draft are compared to someone who was great at that position.

I would have rather them sent the R2 pick to NE for Ryan Mallet, if you're going for a tall kid that can sling the ball the distance of the field.

CrazyHorse
04-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Elway was saying they were looking for guys that were impact players. So far, they look like they are drafting for the future. This could hardly be considered an impact pick.

I dont know any more about the player than what Ive read. So I wont speak to that one way or the other.

But Elway is all over the place if you ask me.

Von Dumbass
LMAO

He's nothing like Ben.

Big arm, tall, tough, and hard to bring down.... that sounds like Big Ben to me. Osweiler's throwing motion looks like Philip Rivers' though.

Mile High Mania
Funny that you said that about not being genuine. I thought his answers all sounded extremely coached (not necessarily a bad thing, though). Also, his motion isn't sidearm as much as short armed. He just kind of flings it. Combine that with throwing off his back foot all the time, and it just seems like he throwing without confidence.

I still wanted him, though.

Yeah, just didn't feel natural ... 8:30 mark just feels rehearsed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zpKGM9FCyxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser
04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I think most subscribe to the same Twitter feeds as you... I've seen all these as well. Most picks at this point in the draft are compared to someone who was great at that position.

I would have rather them sent the R2 pick to NE for Ryan Mallet, if you're going for a tall kid that can sling the ball the distance of the field.

I wonder how many calls NE got in regards to Mallet. I bet more than just a couple.

Direckshun
04-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I think the whole "getting trained under Manning" is overrated. The Colts have had a bevy of young bucs under him, and they consistently have looked atrocious. Osweiler has the highest upside of any of them, but he comes in needing far more work than someone like Curtis Painter did.

Osweiler was overvalued because he has the size. That's about it. It's the Dontari Poe selection of the second round.

He has great size, but he's more lanky than someone like Joe Flacco ever was. He can't go through progressions, telegraphs passes, and throws the ball extremely weird, almost a Tebow-like motion.

You're going to have to break him down, teach him how to throw, and teach him how to play football all over again.

If you think the Donks are capable of that, god speed.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I think the whole "getting trained under Manning" is overrated. The Colts have had a bevy of young bucs under him, and they consistently have looked atrocious. Osweiler has the highest upside of any of them, but he comes in needing far more work than someone like Curtis Painter did.

Osweiler was overvalued because he has the size. That's about it. It's the Dontari Poe selection of the second round.

He has great size, but he's more lanky than someone like Joe Flacco ever was. He can't go through progressions, telegraphs passes, and throws the ball extremely weird, almost a Tebow-like motion.

You're going to have to break him down, teach him how to throw, and teach him how to play football all over again.

If you think the Donks are capable of that, god speed.

Yeah, there won't be a lot of coaching from PM... but it's up to Brock to learn from him. Watch and learn... listen. I think that's what most are referring to, just pay attention to PM and Elway.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I wonder how many calls NE got in regards to Mallet. I bet more than just a couple.

Gotta think they received a half dozen.

Maybe Brock is just a socially awkward kinda guy, as long as he can mature as a QB... I don't care.