PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Veteran FA thoughts

DenverChief
04-29-2012, 01:46 AM
So Pioli mentioned in several of his post draft interviews that the Chiefs were not done picking up veteran FA's and if I remember correctly in one interview he said (paraphrasing) that the Chiefs were less likely to look at a UFA than someone who was just released because of the likely impact that would have on future compensatory draft picks for Carr and Orton.

That being said who is out there that we should bring in? What veterans do the "Gods" of CP foresee as being released that the Chiefs should take a hard look at?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/From-the-Podium-Scott-Pioli/dd8e5237-c46a-4776-b369-97eadf065126

@8:20

royr17
04-29-2012, 02:06 AM
i think he was also talking bout re-signing some of our players that are still available. one that comes to my mind the most is wallace gilberry cause he is still available and has yet to sign with anybody.

KC Tattoo
04-29-2012, 02:11 AM
So does that mean we have to root for Carr to do good for Dallas so we can get a better draft pick out of him? Yuck that kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ya I want a higher draft pick but fuck Dallas.

ChiefsNow
04-29-2012, 02:40 AM
I thought Gilberry signed his tender.

royr17
04-29-2012, 03:35 AM
I thought Gilberry signed his tender.

Gilberry is unrestricted, he can sign with anybody. He was restricted last year.

BigRock
04-29-2012, 05:06 AM
So does that mean we have to root for Carr to do good for Dallas so we can get a better draft pick out of him?

I don't think it works that way. At least I don't remember it ever working that way, I can't say for sure that it doesn't.

Performance definitely impacts the pick in the sense that a player can be worth more if he has an unexpectedly good season. But I can't remember a situation where a guy had a bad season and his former team got a worse pick because of it.

milkman
04-29-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't think it works that way. At least I don't remember it ever working that way, I can't say for sure that it doesn't.

Performance definitely impacts the pick in the sense that a player can be worth more if he has an unexpectedly good season. But I can't remember a situation where a guy had a bad season and his former team got a worse pick because of it.

I do believe the formula for assigning compensatory draft picks does include performance.

ILChief
04-29-2012, 07:29 AM
i think he was also talking bout re-signing some of our players that are still available. one that comes to my mind the most is wallace gilberry cause he is still available and has yet to sign with anybody.

I am surprised we haven't signed him. He would be cheap and we don't have much depth at def end. He can also rush the passer

Hog Farmer
04-29-2012, 08:06 AM
I do believe the formula for assigning compensatory draft picks does include performance.

Yep. Carr goes to the pro bowl and we are awarded a higher comp pick. I hope he makes it .

jspchief
04-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm getting tired of reading about how Pioli tries to game the system for draft picks. He wants to draft QBs that he can later trade for draft picks. He wants UDFAs instead of vets so he can get compensatory picks. Etc etc

Here's an idea, get the best fucking players you can. Draft QBs to get good QBs on your team. Fill roster holes based on talent, not impact on fucking compensatory picks.

The more I read about what drives Pioli's personnel moves, the more convinced I am that he's an egotistical dickbag that has bought into his own hype.

Hog Farmer
04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm getting tired of reading about how Pioli tries to game the system for draft picks. He wants to draft QBs that he can later trade for draft picks. He wants UDFAs instead of vets so he can get compensatory picks. Etc etc

Here's an idea, get the best fucking players you can. Draft QBs to get good QBs on your team. Fill roster holes based on talent, not impact on fucking compensatory picks.

The more I read about what drives Pioli's personnel moves, the more convinced I am that he's an egotistical dickbag that has bought into his own hype.

I think he's put together a pretty solid team including Head Coach. If we are healthy this year we will fucking compete.

bevischief
04-29-2012, 08:24 AM
List?

ILChief
04-29-2012, 08:25 AM
I think he's put together a pretty solid team including Head Coach. If we are healthy this year we will fucking compete.

I agree. Outside of QB, I love the roster he has built

The Bad Guy
04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Gilberry sucks.

O.city
04-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Agree'd on Gilberry.

Bailey brings more than Gilberry.

C-Mac
04-29-2012, 11:24 AM

He did mention something about players about to be released, so I'm pretty sure he means beyond our own.

BossChief
04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I bet we re-sign Gilberry and McGraw...but not until right before camp.

If another team signs either player, we get a comp pick for it.

Other than that, we will look for 2-3 veterans at linebacker, offensive tackle and safety that still have some gas in the tank.

philfree
04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
I bet we re-sign Gilberry and McGraw...but not until right before camp.

If another team signs either player, we get a comp pick for it.

Other than that, we will look for 2-3 veterans at linebacker, offensive tackle and safety that still have some gas in the tank.

We need a backup C before we need another OT. Or is Bruggerman(sp?) a real option?

O.city
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
You probably aren't dressing a backup C, G, and T. We need a backup G that can play C in a pinch if he has too.

philfree
04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
You probably aren't dressing a backup C, G, and T. We need a backup G that can play C in a pinch if he has too.

Right. We're getting pretty full on the O line so it will be interesting to see who's the backup C. Can Lilja play C?

milkman
04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
At this point, Daryl Harris is the backup center.

philfree
04-29-2012, 12:58 PM
At this point, Daryl Harris is the backup center.

I see people post that and I'm trying to remember if he's ever played C. I'm not arguing I'm just asking has he done it before? Is he a good option or just an option?

If we get our backup C handled properly we'll have a really versatile O line.

Frosty
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM

I don't know about that. Oakland got the highest comp pick, a 3rd, for Robert Gallery, who sucked for Seattle and was cut after one season.

milkman
04-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I see people post that and I'm trying to remember if he's ever played C. I'm not arguing I'm just asking has he done it before? Is he a good option or just an option?

If we get our backup C handled properly we'll have a really versatile O line.

Harris played center and guard in college.

Frankie
04-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't know about that. Oakland got the highest comp pick, a 3rd, for Robert Gallery, who sucked for Seattle and was cut after one season.

Just curious, who did they get with that pick?

KCChiefsFan88
04-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Here's an idea, get the best ****ing players you can. Draft QBs to get good QBs on your team. Fill roster holes based on talent, not impact on ****ing compensatory picks.

Agreed.

There is something to be said about looking towards the future, in terms of draft picks, but at some point you need to address the here and now and get the best players available... whether in the draft or in free agency.

Not signing another team's free agent just because you might lose a compensatory pick is a bad free agency strategy.

BigChiefFan
04-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Agreed.

There is something to be said about looking towards the future, in terms of draft picks, but at some point you need to address the here and now and get the best players available... whether in the draft or in free agency.

Not signing another team's free agent just because you might lose a compensatory pick is a bad free agency strategy.

Agreed, BUT, when you really stop and think about it, is there anybody out there, that is worth picking up to lose the picks for, at this stage of the game? I certaintly don't see anybody worth it.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Spot on.

philfree
04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Here's an idea, get the best ****ing players you can. Draft QBs to get good QBs on your team. Fill roster holes based on talent, not impact on ****ing compensatory picks.

Wouldn't doing both be the best?

BigRock
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM

It definitely does, it just seems to be based entirely on the question of "Did this player have a better than expected season?". And with Carr, his contract alone should net us a 3rd rounder, so we're not getting a better pick no matter how well he plays.

So then the only question is whether we'd get a lower pick if Carr doesn't play well. And as I was saying before, I can't think of any examples of that happening.

Without knowing for sure, I'm going to assume it doesn't work that way. Because if it did, there would be people trying to figure out the "bad performance" criteria that lowers the value of the pick. And I've never seen anything like that.

Chocolate Hog
04-29-2012, 03:38 PM
This team needs a veteran safety for backup. Sean Jones would be ideal.

BigRock
04-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Your post suggests that:

1) Pioli would pass on better players in the draft just to take a quarterback
and
2) Pioli would refuse to sign players of equal or better value to a 3rd round pick, just to protect said pick.

By my count, he's never done either of those things. So what's the argument, that one day he might? I mean, I guess you could argue "I LIKED SOME GUY BETTER THAN STANZI IN THE FIFTH", but one QB in four drafts is not exactly a pattern.