1 (11) Dontari Poe, nt, Memphis

2 (44) Jeff Allen, g, Illinois

3 (74) Donald Stephenson, ot, Oklahoma

4 (107) Devon Wylie, wr, Fresno State

5 (146) DeQuan Menzie, db, Alabama

6 (182) Cyrus Gray, rb, Texas A&M

7 (218) Jerome Long, dt, San Diego State

7 (238) Junior Hemingway, wr, Michigan

Poe needs to be Romeo Crennelís version of Vince Wilfork to justify a draft that looks more toward the future. Allen and Stephenson provide valuable depth and youth in the offensive line, especially if the club canít keep Branden Albert after 2012. Wylie has durability issues and history of fumbles. Menzie is a capable backup at safety or nickel back.

Grading the NFL Draft team by team (continued) (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/28/3582365/grading-the-nfl-draft.html)

Okie_Apparition
04-29-2012, 11:00 PM
TIme to compare it to the Emery draft

evolve27
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
C-, is about right.

Bowser
04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/n2nzia.jpg

BCD
04-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Allen isnt depth, he's going to replace Lilja.

BossChief
04-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Allen isnt depth, he's going to replace Lilja.

Honestly, I dont think that's the only plan for Allen.

In fact, I don't think the guy starts as a rookie.

I think the two linemen and the two receivers are "plan b" options in case Albert and Bowe aren't re-signed.

Bowser
04-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Honestly, I dont think that's the only plan for Allen.

I think the two linemen and the two receivers are "plan b" options in case Albert and Bowe aren't re-signed.

That was my first thought when we took Stephenson.

Douche Baggins
04-29-2012, 11:52 PM

Jesus, that's just fucking scary.

I knew Pioli was a giant fuckup but this is some next level shit.

The Dawg
04-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Can't grade a draft right after it's finished...

I'd like to see somebody correctly predict 3 drafts in a row. By that I mean pick the team this year who had the best draft- see where it ends up in 3 years. If they are right, then repeat 2 more times. If they are wrong, they are in with the other 98% of the talking heads.

BossChief
04-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Jesus, that's just fucking scary.

I knew Pioli was a giant fuckup but this is some next level shit.Rated as the #7 OT on Walters.

Heres what they have on him.

Jeff Allen, OT, Illinois
Height: 6-4. Weight: 307.
40 Time: 5.28.
Bench: 26.
Arm: 33 1/2. Hand: 10 1/8.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
4/24/12: In his collegiate career, Allen was a quality run blocker who was inconsistent as a pass protector. He did a fine job of opening up holes in the ground game for running back Mikel Leshoure in 2010. At the Senior Bowl, Allen battled and had some wins. He lost a number of reps as well.

Allen has some strength and athletic ability. He is a sleeper prospect who could be had on the second day of the draft with the potential to stay at left tackle in the NFL. Allen was solid at the Combine and performed well at his pro day. A team could draft Allen to play long-term at left tackle and develop him for a year or two before starting him on the blind side.

scho63
04-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Thousands of college players and hundreds of so called "experts" ranking the players and draft.

It is easy to find a few that will either agree or disagree with what you think the Chiefs did in the draft.

Only time will tell............

PGM
04-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Thousands of college players and hundreds of so called "experts" ranking the players and draft.

It is easy to find a few that will either agree or disagree with what you think the Chiefs did in the draft.

Only time will tell............

Many of them grading picks off of "youtube game film". You've got to take alot of these "takes" with a grain of salt.

spanky 52
04-30-2012, 06:07 AM
I like the Allen pick. GBN said of him, looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan. Versatility is a big plus. I think Stephenson is a swing tackle, nothing more. Gray and Menzie are value picks and Wylie looks like a nice return player.

keg in kc
04-30-2012, 07:37 AM
That was my first thought when we took Stephenson.I mentioned this the other day, buried somewhere in some other thread, but it's maybe not just Albert and his contract that we need to think about. During the season, Winston, who's on a 4-year contract, is 29. Albert himself is going to be 28, so it's probably not a bad idea to start thinking about replacements for either/both of them. If Stephenson's the kind of guy who's going to take a few years to develop to his full potential, the timing seems about right. They hit their low 30s, he's ready to shift in.

This is just my opinion, but I'll actually be surprised if they don't retain Albert.

tredadda
04-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Draft grades are much like those class grades when evaluating the commits a college team gets. Everyone has their own opinion and it will take time to see who was right or not.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2012, 09:21 AM
C- is about right, but the draft will shoot up to an A- if Poe works out.

htismaqe
04-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Jeff Allen is probably my favorite pick from this draft. He can push Lilja right away but also has the versatility to play tackle as a backup.

Since he'll likely sit for a year regardless of merit (it just seems to be the MO here for some reason) it's good that he provides high quality depth right away.

L.A. Chieffan
04-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Great draft, couple of pioli ego picks but over all very good job

Chiefnj2
04-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Grade: F. Should have done what was necessary for Griffin.

L.A. Chieffan
04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Griffin will bust and then meanwhile all those picks given up would've crippled us.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2012, 09:28 AM

you really need to upgrade to Heavy Flow

htismaqe
04-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Is anybody listening to Petro?

They're talking about Allen replacing ASAMOAH. WTF?

He's busting on the Chiefs for "drafting over" previous "mistakes".

donkhater
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Kansas City Chiefs C-

1 (11) Dontari Poe, nt, Memphis

2 (44) Jeff Allen, g, Illinois

3 (74) Donald Stephenson, ot, Oklahoma

4 (107) Devon Wylie, wr, Fresno State

5 (146) DeQuan Menzie, db, Alabama

6 (182) Cyrus Gray, rb, Texas A&M

7 (218) Jerome Long, dt, San Diego State

7 (238) Junior Hemingway, wr, Michigan

Poe needs to be Romeo Crennelís version of Vince Wilfork to justify a draft that looks more toward the future. Allen and Stephenson provide valuable depth and youth in the offensive line, especially if the club canít keep Branden Albert after 2012. Wylie has durability issues and history of fumbles. Menzie is a capable backup at safety or nickel back.

Grading the NFL Draft team by team (continued) (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/28/3582365/grading-the-nfl-draft.html)

Why evaluations immediately after the draft are pure speculation.

buddha
04-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Isn't your worn out drum broken by now? Geez.

DJ's left nut
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Wylie and Gray were certainly dealing with McCluster. Menzie may/may not be to cover for the lack of progress from Brown.

And I don't think we should go ahead and anoint Asomoah just yet either. He looks like he should be a good player - but he still committed some bad penalties and wasn't that great in pass-pro last year. I don't see that you can call him a mistake at this point, but you can't say the verdict is in on him either.

Asomoah still has plenty to prove. If he takes a step forward this year - you have a long term starter. If he takes a step back...well you have Barry Richardson. Remember - Brich started to look a little better at the end of 2010 before falling apart in 2011. All it takes is to lose momentum from Asomoah and fall backwards into the morass.

More likely is that Allen replaces Lilja in 2013, certainly. But there's at least a chance still that Asomoah doesn't take that next step into legitimate long-term starter territory.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Isn't your worn out drum broken by now? Geez.

I look forward to your riveting posts in mid August on how Quinn is outplaying Cassel.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Wylie and Gray were certainly dealing with McCluster. Menzie may/may not be to cover for the lack of progress from Brown.

And I don't think we should go ahead and anoint Asomoah just yet either. He looks like he should be a good player - but he still committed some bad penalties and wasn't that great in pass-pro last year. I don't see that you can call him a mistake at this point, but you can't say the verdict is in on him either.

Asomoah still has plenty to prove. If he takes a step forward this year - you have a long term starter. If he takes a step back...well you have Barry Richardson. Remember - Brich started to look a little better at the end of 2010 before falling apart in 2011. All it takes is to lose momentum from Asomoah and fall backwards into the morass.

More likely is that Allen replaces Lilja in 2013, certainly. But there's at least a chance still that Asomoah doesn't take that next step into legitimate long-term starter territory.

Fuck you.

All our young players are going to pan out.

ChiefsPlanet told me so.

Direckshun
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
I'll say this -- our coaching staffs all have good to great reputations for developing talent.

Right now, our draft is a C+. At least that's what I give it.

But as their talents develop, and they begin improving and changing this team for the better, that grade goes up.

Denver and Oakland just had horrid drafts. San Diego's is passable, like ours. But it doesn't have our ceiling.

38yrsfan
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Why evaluations immediately after the draft are pure speculation.

Exactly ... it's the sportswriters obligatory "I have nothing to really go on but must say something" analysis.

htismaqe
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Guys taken in the 4th, 5th, and later are opportunity picks. They're not necessarily "replacing" anybody. Sometime they do but that's not really the ultimate (or realistic) goal. Menzie was taken because he's a decent player at a pick of good to great value. It doesn't really have anything to do with Brown.

That being said, the fact that Wylie and Gray could POTENTIALLY replace McCluster, while it says nothing about THEM, is EXTREMELY damning to the McCluster pick.

I don't disagree. But that's ultimately not what Petro said. He talked as if, if Allen were to start, it WOULD be over Asamoah. He didn't give it a second though actually. He started his rant by saying he didn't understand the need to replace a SOLID guard in Ryan Lilja.

Asamoah still has a ways to go, sure. But anybody that thinks Ryan Lilja is "solid" or "good" just hasn't be watching (or they don't know what they're watching).

NaptownChief
05-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I love the Cyrus Gray pick, I think the scouts missed on him. I think he has something special about him. I like the Hemmingway pick. If we were going with a Guard and DT in the first two rounds I would have much preferred DeCastro with that 1st rounder and D.Still with the 2nd rounder. My gut feeling is we would have come out stronger at both spots. But lets hope Poe's physical skills can translate after getting a hot prod up his ass. Just don't feel good about him however, he reminds me of the DT version of Jamarcus "Sip Sip" Russell. Huge physical skills but lazy as hell.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Dontari Poe ‏ @bigpoe74 Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Yea jus got my number I'll be in #92 this season let's get it KC
Retweeted by Arrowhead Pride

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Dontari Poe ‏ @bigpoe74 Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Yea jus got my number I'll be in #92 this season let's get it KC
Retweeted by Arrowhead Pride

We must exorcise the ghost of Darren Mickell before he suits up with the number #92. Too bad Tebow isn't around.

Okie_Apparition
05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
9&2 make 11
cookie & nap time now

PGM
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
We must exorcise the ghost of Darren Mickell before he suits up with the number #92. Too bad Tebow isn't around.

Gilberry was damn fine in that number for an undrafted free agent.

BCD
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

He's a moron if he actually believes that.

Probably just trying to create a buzz, get callers.

Micjones
05-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I love the Cyrus Gray pick, I think the scouts missed on him. I think he has something special about him. I like the Hemmingway pick. If we were going with a Guard and DT in the first two rounds I would have much preferred DeCastro with that 1st rounder and D.Still with the 2nd rounder. My gut feeling is we would have come out stronger at both spots. But lets hope Poe's physical skills can translate after getting a hot prod up his ass. Just don't feel good about him however, he reminds me of the DT version of Jamarcus "Sip Sip" Russell. Huge physical skills but lazy as hell.

I've been raving about Cyrus Gray for days on CP.
Love the way he runs. Great vision, great decision-making, explosive, always falls forward. I think he might be the most valuable player, in 2012, of the Chiefs draft class.

Micjones
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Menzie may/may not be to cover for the lack of progress from Brown.

I thought they intended for Menzie to play Safety?

I think Asamoah will be fine. Kid's still very young.
He has time yet to grow. Showed more last year than Barry Richardson ever did and they gave him time.

NaptownChief
05-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I've been raving about Cyrus Gray for days on CP.
Love the way he runs. Great vision, great decision-making, explosive, always falls forward. I think he might be the most valuable player, in 2012, of the Chiefs draft class.

I would agree with that. Going into this last season I actually believed he was one of the top 3 RB's in college. Through the years of watching college football there is occasionally a RB where I watch and just have this feeling that there is something special about the back. I remember feeling that way about Frank Gore as a freshman at Miami before blowing out his knee. Edge James at the beginning of his Jr year before he was even on most peoples radar as a potential high pick. Tiki Barber at UVA as well and Skip Hicks at UCLA. Ok so I missed on Skip Hicks but picked out the other 3 well before they became anything major. I had the same feeling about Gray during his Jr year. Good chance we got a steal in him if he doesn't get lost in the shuffle behind Hillis and Charles.

Micjones
05-02-2012, 08:40 AM
I would agree with that. Going into this last season I actually believed he was one of the top 3 RB's in college. Through the years of watching college football there is occasionally a RB where I watch and just have this feeling that there is something special about the back. I remember feeling that way about Frank Gore as a freshman at Miami before blowing out his knee. Edge James at the beginning of his Jr year before he was even on most peoples radar as a potential high pick. Tiki Barber at UVA as well and Skip Hicks at UCLA. Ok so I missed on Skip Hicks but picked out the other 3 well before they became anything major. I had the same feeling about Gray during his Jr year. Good chance we got a steal in him if he doesn't get lost in the shuffle behind Hillis and Charles.

They're both coming back from injury so I think there could be opportunities for him.

lostcause
05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
My favorite memory of knee jerk draft grades was when the rams were lauded with A+'s by pundits across the board for killing the 1996 draft.

htismaqe
05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
My favorite memory of knee jerk draft grades was when the rams were lauded with A+'s by pundits across the board for killing the 1996 draft.

They won a Super Bowl 3 years later.

vailpass
05-02-2012, 10:29 AM

LMAO

Uh, yeah but other than that....

Douche Baggins
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Ha. It was still a shitty draft.

http://i46.tinypic.com/24qljyp.jpg

Their next 3 drafts yielded Pace, McCleon, Tucker, Wistrom, Holcombe, Little, Hakim, Holt and Bly, however.

whoman69
05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Can't grade a draft right after it's finished...

I'd like to see somebody correctly predict 3 drafts in a row. By that I mean pick the team this year who had the best draft- see where it ends up in 3 years. If they are right, then repeat 2 more times. If they are wrong, they are in with the other 98% of the talking heads.

I hate hearing that. If its true STFU and check back in 3 years so those of us who want to discuss the draft can. Or better yet, don't check back in 3 years. Any idiot can discuss something with hindsight.

lostcause
05-02-2012, 02:22 PM

No thanks to anybody drafted in 96. Except maybe kennison.

htismaqe
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
No thanks to anybody drafted in 96. Except maybe kennison.

Hey, if Tony Banks hadn't had hands made of butter, they never would have discovered Kurt Warner. It's cause and effect my man. :)

lostcause
05-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey, if Tony Banks hadn't had hands made of butter, they never would have discovered Kurt Warner. It's cause and effect my man. :)

Warner was tearing it up in Amsterdam at the time and when hey first signed him he was behind tony banks and.... Steve bono. Warner was a winner at uni, arena league and world league. The rams had the savvy to sign him but were too dumb to start him until they had no choice.

SNR
05-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Patriots and Steelers get As.

The Bengals, who had the best draft BY FAR get a B.

Fucking idiocy.

htismaqe
05-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Warner was tearing it up in Amsterdam at the time and when hey first signed him he was behind tony banks and.... Steve bono. Warner was a winner at uni, arena league and world league. The rams had the savvy to sign him but were too dumb to start him until they had no choice.

I was at 3 of the 4 games leading up to the Arena Bowl. Back in the day, we went to Barnstormers games almost every week. I probably saw Warner play a dozen times.

Chiefnj2
05-03-2012, 07:32 AM

****ing idiocy.

The Cards getting a C+ is pretty harsh as well.

lostcause
05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
I was at 3 of the 4 games leading up to the Arena Bowl. Back in the day, we went to Barnstormers games almost every week. I probably saw Warner play a dozen times.

I went to a few barnstormer games as well. Warner was a lot of fun to watch.

htismaqe
05-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I went to a few barnstormer games as well. Warner was a lot of fun to watch.

Have you been to a game recently? I always thought the Arena experience was a lot of fun to see in person...

lostcause
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Have you been to a game recently? I always thought the Arena experience was a lot of fun to see in person...

I agree with you there. It's like going to sec Taylor, I would never watch an I cub game on tv, but it was always a good time to watch one live. And no, haven't been to a game recently, I moved away from dsm five years ago.

htismaqe
05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
I agree with you there. It's like going to sec Taylor, I would never watch an I cub game on tv, but it was always a good time to watch one live. And no, haven't been to a game recently, I moved away from dsm five years ago.

Sorry but it's obvious you moved away - Sec Taylor is Principal Park now. :p

lostcause
05-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Sorry but it's obvious you moved away - Sec Taylor is Principal Park now. :p

Well at least it isn't wells Fargo park... Oh wait.

htismaqe
05-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Well at least it isn't wells Fargo park... Oh wait.

You have no idea...Wells Fargo :mad:

lostcause
05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
You have no idea...Wells Fargo :mad:

Not a fan.

Worthless n00b
05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
It's a process.

whoman69
05-03-2012, 12:51 PM

****ing idiocy.

That's because they're too embarrassed to say they don't even know two of the guys drafted by the Pats.

vailpass
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Never saw Kurt play for the Barnstormers but went to some of his Regis Royal games. The kid could bring it even then.

Here's a Kurt bio with some interesting bits to it:
http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Warner/Warner_bio.html

WhiteWhale
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Big John was dramatically better as a pass blocker than a run blocker... which isn't a great thing for a right guard. PFF (for what it's worth) had him ranked 7th in the entire NFL among guards in terms of pass blocking efficiency at 98.3 percent. That means his guy gets a pressure/sack/hit on 1.7% of pass plays. That's pretty damn excellent actually.

BossChief
05-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Its hard to have a positive run blocking grade when your backs are Battle, Jones and Dexter.

Pretty cool how some of our position groups have transformed so drastically this offseason.

In the backfield, we went from (old, busted and a midget)

Jones
Battle
DMC

To (gamebreaking, pile driving, beastly backfield)

Charles
Hillis
Gray

Offensive tackle (weak and shallow)

Albert
Richardson
Mims

to (deep and talented)

Albert
Winston
Stephenson
Allen

Safety (slow and shallow)

McGraw
Lewis
Piscatelli

to (deep and scary)

Berry
Lewis
Menzie

We quietly upgraded in some crucial spots this offseason.