PDA

View Full Version : Music Looking for a decent turntable

kysirsoze
05-04-2012, 10:10 PM
OK y'all-

I'm looking to buy a turntable. I'd love for it to have some other playing modes, particulary the ability to dock a phone to play mp3's, spotify, etc. I'd like it to be set in wood, preferably dark wood. I'd love to have some decent built in speakers, but I'm not asking for a miracle. If I have to go external on those I could live with that.

I've searched online and it's surprisingly difficult to find a decent selection. Even the ones I think have potential tend to get roasted in reviews. Any of you guys like listening to vinyl? Got any suggestions?

Rep for legit responses

kysirsoze
05-05-2012, 10:46 AM
C'mon, guys. There has to be some audiophiles (not the kid touching kind) that have some insight here.

Bump
05-05-2012, 10:56 AM
can't go wrong with Technics

kysirsoze
05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
can't go wrong with Technics

Looks like for sound quality you're dead on, but I'm unable to find pieces that look how I'm wanting it to look.

NewChief
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Looks like for sound quality you're dead on, but I'm unable to find pieces that look how I'm wanting it to look.

Urban Outfitters has some pretty cool retro ones, though most of theirs are designed to be portable:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=17216961

You can browse through the other ones they offer under the "more ideas" section to the lower right.

Red Brooklyn
05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
What you're looking for is pretty specific. I'm not any suggestions I could offer are suggestions you've already explored - Amazon.com, Best Buy, Ebay, Target/Wal-Mart, ect.

Urban Outfitters does have a decent selection of turntables, but I don't think I've ever seen one that offers the multi-format thing you're looking for. They may have them, but I don't recall seeing them.

You might have to sacrifice a bit of quality if you want a multi-format player - especially set in wood - no matter what. I'm not sure they even make high quality sets like that. But you can still get some great turntables that aren't multi-format players set in wood.

BigRedChief
05-05-2012, 10:08 PM
In a semi related note.............. I live about a mile from the biggest record store in the world. 3,000,000 vinyl records under one roof.

Simply Red
05-06-2012, 01:03 AM
honestly - check Pawn Shops, most DJ's are on drugs, so they unload their shit for cash to get crank and stuff..

kysirsoze
05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks, guys. Good tips.

kysirsoze
05-06-2012, 04:15 PM
In a semi related note.............. I live about a mile from the biggest record store in the world. 3,000,000 vinyl records under one roof.

There are some great record stores here in LA. I'm looking forward to checking them out as soon as I have something on which to play the records.

notorious
05-07-2012, 07:04 AM
This is the best I could do:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=turntable&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=turntable

Nothing special. To find the good stuff you will either pay out of the ass at a specialty store or get really lucky at a garage sale or pawn shop/flea market.