PDA

View Full Version : Music Jack White: Blunderbuss

Oz_Chief
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Got the new Jack White a few days back. I am not a huge Jack White fan, although I loved him in "It Might Get Loud".

Anyway, Blunderbuss is a very good album. If you like late sixties/early seventies rock I think you will like this. Lots of piano and blues throughout. I makes me think of "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street" quite a bit. It is not as psychedelic as Captain Beefheart but it has great guitar like "Safe as Milk".

What other Jack White is worth investigating? I have some but never really felt the need to own The White Stripes or Raconteurs.

Cheers!

NewChief
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
The White Stripes entire catalog is worth exploring. The Raconteurs are also great, but I like the paired down Stripes more for some reason.

And yes, Blunderbuss is awesome.

Brock
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I never liked White Stripes much, but this thing kicks ass.

Red Brooklyn
05-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I absolutely adore The White Stripes. I really like (sometimes love) The Raconteurs. Dead Weather hasn't clicked for me yet. I like some of it, but we aren't good friends yet.

But I think Jack White is a genius. And Blunderbuss is outstanding from beginning to end. Some have called it his "Blood On The Tracks." And I can't say that I disagree with that sentiment.

QuikSsurfer
05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Yup... this album is fuckin jammin!

Oz_Chief
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
But I think Jack White is a genius. And Blunderbuss is outstanding from beginning to end. Some have called it his "Blood On The Tracks." And I can't say that I disagree with that sentiment.

I think that is a fair comparison. I think that is why Blunderbuss reminds me of Exile. It is an album that you can just put on and hit play. Some other albums like that that spring to mind are:

Led Zeppelin - II
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Paul Weller - Wildwood
The Stone Roses

MoreLemonPledge
05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Absolutely love the White Stripes and this album. Pro tip for long-time White Stripes fans: listen to the lyrics in Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy. Total "fuck you" to Meg White.

vailpass
05-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Absolutely love the White Stripes and this album. Pro tip for long-time White Stripes fans: listen to the lyrics in Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy. Total "**** you" to Meg White.

I caught the HBo special "White Stripes in Canada" or something like that. Had never heard them before but really liked the music. Listen to them in the gym sometimes.

Why would he give a "total **** you to Meg White"? (i'm assuming that is his sister or wife and ex-band mate)

NewChief
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I caught the HBo special "White Stripes in Canada" or something like that. Had never heard them before but really liked the music. Listen to them in the gym sometimes.

Why would he give a "total **** you to Meg White"? (assuming that is his sister and ex-band mate)

Not really his sister. They were actually married at one time. His original name is Gillis, and he took HER name when they got married. You can read all about it here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes#Early_history)

Red Brooklyn
05-11-2012, 02:33 PM
EDIT: Beat me to it.

NewChief
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh and the "**** you" to Meg... well... I don't read it that harshly. I think he's just saying, "I'm everywhere. I'm going to go and get big and move forward without your shyness holding me back." The fact that he uses the word "poor" so much in the song makes me think that he has mixed feelings about his success.

Red Brooklyn
05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I would agree with that. As well as mixed feelings about The White Stripes.

Bump
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I love the White Stripes, haven't checked out blunderbuss. Gonna do it right now on spotify

Oz_Chief
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Absolutely love the White Stripes and this album. Pro tip for long-time White Stripes fans: listen to the lyrics in Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy. Total "**** you" to Meg White.

That is such a killer tune. Hell, they are all damn good. Listening to it right now. It is a great headphone album too.

vailpass
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Not really his sister. They were actually married at one time. His original name is Gillis, and he took HER name when they got married. You can read all about it here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes#Early_history)

Thanks NC. Interesting. I knew nothing about the White Stripes so when I watched the videography I assumed, because the girl acted so quiet and shy and he acted so patronly towards her, that they were brother and sister.

Halfcan
05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
I am looking forward to getting this one!!

Liked the early W Stripes-but not the last one very much.

Red Brooklyn
05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Icky Thump was a decent record. It just got so overshadowed by the sheer, blinding awesomeness of Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan.

Scott Pilgrim
05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Jack White is magic.

rico
05-11-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll be seeing him at Lollapalooza.

Scott Pilgrim
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I'll be seeing him at Lollapalooza.

I thought about getting a one day pass just to see him.

Red Brooklyn
05-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I tried to get tickets to see him at Roseland. But they moved too quickly.

vailpass
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
now that's some guitar...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/60sA6QZD1cM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oz_Chief
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
This will never happen, but I would love to spend a sunny day outdoors at a show watching Noel Gallagher, Jack White, and The Black Crowes. I would feel so good that day.

Oz_Chief
05-11-2012, 04:46 PM
now that's some guitar...

Yep. He is right up there.

Oz_Chief
05-11-2012, 04:52 PM
I guess I should say that the only other Jack White that I have is the stuff off "Rome" with Danger Mouse. Two Against One is another killer tune.

Dr. Gigglepants
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VktVHWx35eI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass
05-11-2012, 06:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VktVHWx35eI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ugh. Jam band-ish.

Dr. Gigglepants
05-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Ugh. Jam band-ish.

Are you deeply rooted in the hatred for it, or can you be swayed? I'm sure we can convince you.

KcMizzou
05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I heard this single on 96.5 and had to dig around to find out who it was. I love the unique sound. I'll have to check out the whole album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iErNRBTPbEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
05-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Love this one.

Great album.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eyMdbid13UM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great Expectations
05-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Blunderbuss is outstanding, definitely Jack's best effort since Consolers of the Lonely.

Red Brooklyn
05-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Blunderbuss is outstanding, definitely Jack's best effort since Consolers of the Lonely.
I'd go further and say it's his best effort since Get Behind Me Satan. And it might be better than that one. Not sure yet. But it might be.

kysirsoze
05-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Excited to hear this. I am going to listen to it on Spotify next chance I get.

MoreLemonPledge
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-t1_ETuWIbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fuck Jack White haters.

vailpass
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Are you deeply rooted in the hatred for it, or can you be swayed? I'm sure we can convince you.

:D I can't help it, just can't stand it. Been to a couple of Dead shows in Vegas and Chicago with friends, about fell asleep every time they went into space.
Been to Panic, same deal.
Boring Sidney, boring.

NewChief
05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
:D I can't help it, just can't stand it. Been to a couple of Dead shows in Vegas and Chicago with friends, about fell asleep every time they went into space.
Been to Panic, same deal.
Boring Sidney, boring.

Need more drugs.

vailpass
05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Need more drugs.

I don't doubt it. That is definitely the footprint for that particular genre.
Apparently it is the only way people can stand 45 minute ad-hoc instrumental meanderings.:evil:

I have school friends that are into it and respect it's place in the music world but it isn't for me. Plus I like to bathe.

aturnis
05-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Plus I like to bathe.

Don't get me started on smelly hippies. They are the reason my fiance and I quit going to Split Lip Rayfield shows...

Red Brooklyn
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Listening to this again. This thing holds up to repeated listens. It's just about the only thing I've been listening to since it came out. Well, this and Pigpen Theatre Company.

Great album. Too early to call it album of the year?

vailpass
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Don't get me started on smelly hippies. They are the reason my fiance and I quit going to Split Lip Rayfield shows...

Don't know who that is but I sure like the name...