PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV History Channel: Hatfield and McCoys

Deberg_1990
05-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Are you interest? Looks solid to me.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys

<object width="480" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.history.com/flash/VideoPlayer.swf?vid=6905155240101"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.history.com/flash/VideoPlayer.swf?vid=6905155240101" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="480" height="340"></embed></object>

Frazod
05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
That's one hell of a cast for a History Channel movie. I'll definitely check it out.

Buehler445
05-20-2012, 12:00 PM
I've been seeing the ads. When does it start?

Deberg_1990
05-20-2012, 12:02 PM
I've been seeing the ads. When does it start?

May 28th. Its only 3 nights. Miniseries.

pr_capone
05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Saw the previews for this weeks ago... I cannot wait until this airs. This looks amazing.

JASONSAUTO
05-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Can't wait.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Looks good.

The History channels own.

Silock
05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Looks awesome. I'm excited that History Channel is actually showing something related to history and not aliens.

Frazod
05-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Looks awesome. I'm excited that History Channel is actually showing something related to history and not aliens.

Or toasters, or truck drivers, or lumberjacks.....

Deberg_1990
05-20-2012, 05:26 PM

heh......most of these cable channels now have strayed away from their original "niches"

Especially with all the reality programming. Sigh.........nature of the TV Beast now days.

WV
05-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Looks cool. A guy I go to church with is a McCoy and is actually a decendant of the McCoy family. Really intersting story.

patteeu
05-20-2012, 06:53 PM

I don't know anything about this show (and I don't get the History Channel anyway so I guess it doesn't matter much), but is this miniseries going to actually be historically accurate or semi-historical entertainment?

Deberg_1990
05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
or semi-historical entertainment?

Im gonna guess this one for 1000 Alex.

Lzen
05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll have to set my dvr. Looks good.

BigMeatballDave
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Toasters? LOL

jspchief
05-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah, just saw an ad for this. Looks good. Definitely beyond what I would expect from a history channel mini series.

J Diddy
05-24-2012, 07:35 AM
heh......most of these cable channels now have strayed away from their original "niches"

Especially with all the reality programming. Sigh.........nature of the TV Beast now days.

So true. I long for the days of Beavis and Butthead style entertainment, when you could turn to Music Television and listen to music.

Now I'm stuck with Snookie.

mr. tegu
05-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Considering Ancient Aliens is all about past cultures, stories, artifacts, etc. from around the world (with an alien interpretation obviously) I would suggest it is certainly a 'history' type show.

Deberg_1990
05-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Bump. Starts tonight at 8 central.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
05-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I've got the DVR set. :thumb:

Aries Walker
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm definitely watching this. I just wrote an article on Roseanna and Johnse a few weeks back, so all the research and stuff I did got me interested in it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the History Channel does with it.

Sure-Oz
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
DVR set as well for the mini series, love the cast.

Kyle DeLexus
05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
looking forward to it.

JASONSAUTO
05-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Woot
Posted via Mobile Device

Otter
05-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Saw it and it's worth the watch.

Tell me you couldn't see MoHillbilly in the middle of that story?!!?

Frazod
05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Very well done. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

okcchief
05-28-2012, 10:37 PM
I forgot this was on tonight, but I DVR'd it. Should have watched this instead of wasting my time on that shit basketball game.

LiveSteam
05-28-2012, 10:45 PM
That Bitch fornicated with a Hatfield

SPchief
05-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Worth the watch

chiefs1111
05-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Great so far

DJ's left nut
05-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Memorial day and the goddamn History Channel was running a Pawn Stars marathon.

I used to love that channel and this is the tripe they give us now. It's just a horrible channel anymore.

There are no greater historical moments than wars. They lead to more world-altering changes than anything short of famine and plague. Memorial Day is nothing more than a day designed to honor those that fight in said conflicts.

And the History Channel runs a Pawn Stars marathon. Fuck those guys.

Dartgod
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I forgot all about this. Saw a trailer for it at the movie theater. Part 1 will be rebroadcast tonight before part 2, so I have set the DVR for all 3 episodes now.

Hydrae
05-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I was highly interested, my wife is decended from the Hatfields (her mom's maiden name). I guess I was expecting more of a documentary, not a drama. I was actually disappointed and didn't even finish watching it.

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Memorial day and the goddamn History Channel was running a Pawn Stars marathon.

I used to love that channel and this is the tripe they give us now. It's just a horrible channel anymore.

There are no greater historical moments than wars. They lead to more world-altering changes than anything short of famine and plague. Memorial Day is nothing more than a day designed to honor those that fight in said conflicts.

And the History Channel runs a Pawn Stars marathon. Fuck those guys.:rolleyes: Have you ever watched that show?

They have people bringing all kinds of historical stuff into the shop.

rocknrolla
05-29-2012, 12:17 PM
:rolleyes: Have you ever watched that show?

They have people bringing all kinds of historical stuff into the shop.

I understand your history point of the show. But on memorial day, they should have shown some sort of military history tribute. Not some chuckling fat asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I understand your history point of the show. But on memorial day, they should have shown some sort of military history tribute. Not some chuckling fat asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would anyone be sitting around at home watching the History channel on Memorial day?

Isnt that when we get together with family and visit graves, then cook out?

I hung out with my son and grilled some ribs.

rocknrolla
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Some of us are not fortune enough to be in town with our families. Believe me. I wouldn't even be watching TV if I was.
Posted via Mobile Device

ozarkchief
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I have to say I enjoyed it, although actors with perfect, bright white, teeth aren't exactly what I envision when I think about people living in the mid to late 1800s. I guess if you're working the love interest angle, you don't want to show two young lovers who have teeth that would make Steve Buscemi cringe.

KcMizzou
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
They're replaying part one at six tonight, right before part 2.

If the Royals stink it up, I'll be checking it out.

Kyle DeLexus
05-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Shouldn't there be slaves at the beginning and free black people after the civil war. Even Harmon McCoy who fought for the North had a slave.

Frazod
05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
I have to say I enjoyed it, although actors with perfect, bright white, teeth aren't exactly what I envision when I think about people living in the mid to late 1800s. I guess if you're working the love interest angle, you don't want to show two young lovers who have teeth that would make Steve Buscemi cringe.

The guys in 300 should have been humping each other too, but there's some stuff from history I really don't mind not seeing.

Easy 6
05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Forgot to catch episode one, but its looking pretty damn cool tonight.

History Channel is really upping their game.

ozarkchief
05-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Episode 2 has kicked the story into high gear. I think fans of the HBO series Deadwood would really enjoy this mini series as well.

LiveSteam
05-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Sure been a lot a spit-en.

Frazod
05-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Episode 2 has kicked the story into high gear. I think fans of the HBO series Deadwood would really enjoy this mini series as well.

I'm really enjoying this. It does have that Deadwood feel to it. All we need is Wu's pigs and Al Swearengen to call somebody a cocksucker. :D

Easy 6
05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Tom Berenger, i think he's been mailing it in for years, he gives you just enough in his role here to know he could do better.

Its like Platoon & Major League just made him stop trying, he needs a strong, specific director.

ozarkchief
05-30-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm really enjoying this. It does have that Deadwood feel to it. All we need is Wu's pigs and Al Swearengen to call somebody a one who sucks the penis. :D

Damn, I miss Deadwood. For me, it ranks right up there with The Wire, and The Sopranos.

Lzen
05-30-2012, 12:50 PM
They're replaying part one at six tonight, right before part 2.

When Royals stink it up, I'll be checking it out.

FYP

KcMizzou
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
FYPActually that was yesterday and they ended up winning 8-2, so I didn't see much of it.

Frazod
05-30-2012, 01:21 PM
When it comes to the sides, I'm definitely in the Hatfield camp. The McCoys seem like whiners and pussies. When the three kids jumped unarmed Ellison with his back turned, then stabbed and shot him after he kicked all their asses, I lost all respect for them. They hire assasins and hide behind the law, while the Hatfields take care of business themselves.

Old Dog
05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I wonder if it weren't for the lawyer and the dog lover if a lot of the mess couldn't have been avoided.

Frazod
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I wonder if it weren't for the lawyer and the dog lover if a lot of the mess couldn't have been avoided.

They are both serious scumbags, but there are were many contributing factors. Randall's lingering butthurt over Anse's desertion and later success (while he himself was rotting in a prison camp) seems to really be the main driving factor. It is certainly understandable, but he had ample opportunity to bury the hatchet and really should have as he saw things spiraling out of control.

I have deliberately avoided looking up the actual story so I won't ruin the conclusion, but I really hope Anse puts a bullet through Randall's head at some point.

frankotank
05-30-2012, 02:28 PM
When it comes to the sides, I'm definitely in the Hatfield camp. The McCoys seem like whiners and pussies. When the three kids jumped unarmed Ellison with his back turned, then stabbed and shot him after he kicked all their asses, I lost all respect for them. They hire assasins and hide behind the law, while the Hatfields take care of business themselves.

I said pretty much the same thing last night. those boys deserved what they got. I kept looking and looking for Tom Berenger the whole first episode until finally I realized he'd been in front of me the whole time. holy crap. he don't look so good!

we've rewound several times trying to understand certain lines and finally just gave up. some lines.....I just can't figure out what the hell they are saying. anybody else have this problem?

Frazod
05-30-2012, 02:30 PM
I said pretty much the same thing last night. those boys deserved what they got. I kept looking and looking for Tom Berenger the whole first episode until finally I realized he'd been in front of me the whole time. holy crap. he don't look so good!

we've rewound several times trying to understand certain lines and finally just gave up. some lines.....I just can't figure out what the hell they are saying. anybody else have this problem?

Try using the closed captioning.

Frazod
05-30-2012, 02:36 PM
I guess we weren't the only ones watching.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/30/hatfields-mccoys-sets-basic-cable-record-as-most-watched-in-history-report-says-1134375658/?intcmp=features

'Hatfields & McCoys' sets basic cable record as most watched in history, report says

Talk about number one with a bullet.

History’s new miniseries, “Hatfields & McCoys,” snared nearly 14 million viewers Monday night to become the top-rated non-sports telecast in basic-cable history.

And for a series which reportedly took 20 years to convince someone to put on TV, it’s paid handsome dividends.

“The script had been in development for quite a while,” says History president Nancy Dubuc, who’s also an executive producer on the miniseries.

“One of the things that was overwhelming when I first read the script was that there wasn’t a good guy and a bad guy,” she says. “The nuances are fascinating.”

The three-part miniseries about the feuding Kentucky and West Virginia families — starring Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe and Mare Winningham — aired again last night and concludes tonight.

But it wasn’t always intended to unfold that way, Dubuc says.

“We set out to do two nights and four hours . . . and had a suspicion that the script would support more than four hours,” she says.

“The decision [to add two additional hours] was made two-thirds of the way through shooting . . . when everyone got back [from Romania].”

Dubuc says she thinks the miniseries attracted so many viewers because people can sympathize with characters on both sides of the feud, which began in the 1860s and claimed over a dozen family members on both the Hatfield and McCoy sides.

“You go on this journey with them and there’s much more sympathy over time,” Dubuc says.

“Imagine how deep that vengeance must have run. It gives new meaning to the idea of bad neighbors.”

Old Dog
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM

I had to twice the first night, but sadly enough I can understand what they're saying other than those two times (I blame that on a couple of years I spent in Alabama in the military). There have been about a half dozen times where the Mrs just looked at me so I could translate.

Frazod
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I had to twice the first night, but sadly enough I can understand what they're saying other than those two times (I blame that on a couple of years I spent in Alabama in the military). There have been about a half dozen times where the Mrs just looked at me so I could translate.

I have enough redneck in me to not really have a problem understanding them, either. :D

HemiEd
05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Very well done. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

We got back late Monday night, so we caught up with the first two episodes last night. Wow, looking forward to the last one tonight, very well done IMO.

Demonpenz
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
When I can't understand them. I just assume they say "Dale Jr just went down a lap!"

Kyle DeLexus
05-30-2012, 06:08 PM
When I can't understand them. I just assume they say "Dale Jr just went down a lap!"

ROFL.

I had no trouble understanding or hearing anything.

Frazod
05-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Boy, that was outstanding. Great show. :clap:

Let's hope History Channel does more stuff like this and less stuff like Swamp Retards.

Easy 6
05-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Bill Paxton blew his actor load, by far his best work ever.

Kyle DeLexus
05-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Great show. Not exactly historically accurate but very entertaining.

I'm with everyone else in hoping they come up with more stuff like this to air.

Frazod
05-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Bill Paxton blew his actor load, by far his best work ever.

One word - Frailty. He directed it as well.

Easy 6
05-31-2012, 01:13 AM
One word - Frailty. He directed it as well.

Is that the one where he's the delusional murderer with two sons? if so agreed, he did well with heavy material.

Frazod
05-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Is that the one where he's the delusional murderer with two sons? if so agreed, he did well with heavy material.

Yeah, but in the end he wasn't delusional.

Frazod
05-31-2012, 01:17 AM
It just occurred to me that Powers Boothe was in Frailty as well. Although he and Paxton never had a scene together.

Guru
05-31-2012, 01:42 AM
damn, I didn't even realize Berenger was even in this. LMAO Looking back I don't know how I could not have recognized him.

Great Expectations
05-31-2012, 08:32 AM
They are both serious scumbags, but there are were many contributing factors. Randall's lingering butthurt over Anse's desertion and later success (while he himself was rotting in a prison camp) seems to really be the main driving factor. It is certainly understandable, but he had ample opportunity to bury the hatchet and really should have as he saw things spiraling out of control.

I have deliberately avoided looking up the actual story so I won't ruin the conclusion, but I really hope Anse puts a bullet through Randall's head at some point.

Anse's definitely has more charisma and is more like able. Desertion is a about as dispicable of a thing you could do to a fellow soldier. He also stole the logging rights when he figured out that the lawyer was trying to steal the land.

OmahaChief
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Watched the first part last night and loved it. Can't wait to watch the second and third installments I have recorded. As mentioned below, just some great acting by so many in this series.

Frazod
05-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Anse's definitely has more charisma and is more like able. Desertion is a about as dispicable of a thing you could do to a fellow soldier. He also stole the logging rights when he figured out that the lawyer was trying to steal the land.

I'm not sure if the desertion angle was true or just something they threw in for dramatic effect. I was reading up on Anse a bit last night and didn't see any mention of it. He did join the Confederacy, but as the leader of local militia (with Jim Vance).

http://www.biography.com/people/devil-anse-hatfield-20824939

I do plan to find an actual book about this subject though. I really never knew anything about the specifics before watching this show.

frankotank
05-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Try using the closed captioning.

yeah I thought of that.....then I couldn't figure out how to turn it on. :banghead:

Kyle DeLexus
05-31-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure if the desertion angle was true or just something they threw in for dramatic effect. I was reading up on Anse a bit last night and didn't see any mention of it. He did join the Confederacy, but as the leader of local militia (with Jim Vance).

http://www.biography.com/people/devil-anse-hatfield-20824939

I do plan to find an actual book about this subject though. I really never knew anything about the specifics before watching this show.

Yep.

They also made Harmon's death much more dramatic by claiming it was Vance acting alone in a murder, but it was the Logan Wildcats led by Vance. The McCoy's actually felt he had it coming for fighting for the Union.

Silock
06-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Great series. DO WANT MORE. I hope History Channel sees the writing on the wall with the ratings this thing got.

Pitt Gorilla
06-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Awesome series. It was well worth the six hour investment.

Aries Walker
06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I just finished watching this yesterday. I was really impressed. It did have that Deadwood feel to it (which would make it a "midwestern", I guess).

Great show. Not exactly historically accurate but very entertaining.

It actually was pretty close to being historically accurate. It changed some things (the Logan Wildcats, as Kyle mentioned, and a few others) but it kept most of the plot development, major themes, and characterizations pretty well intact.

Most. Gigantic real-life douchebag Johnse Hatfield is the main exception.

Dartgod
06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
damn, I didn't even realize Berenger was even in this. LMAO Looking back I don't know how I could not have recognized him.

We just finished watching it last night and I had no idea that Uncle Jim was Berenger.

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
why do they write in cuss words and then bleep them out? lame

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
why do they write in cuss words and then bleep them out? lameI imagine you can hear them just fine on the Bluray.

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
I imagine you can hear them just fine on the Bluray.

distracting when watching it on tv. sack up history channel

Dartgod
why do they write in cuss words and then bleep them out? lame

I thought that was odd. Bitch was edited out, but God Dammit was left in.

Dicky McElephant
Finished it the other night. That was fucking awesome. I would have been happy with a little more depth.....spread out into more episodes.