PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Tom Cruise attached to MGM's 'Magnificent Seven'

Tribal Warfare
05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Tom Cruise attached to MGM's 'Magnificent Seven' (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054445)
Remake project still seeking writer, director
By Jeff Sneider
As MGM prepares to start production on "RoboCop" and "Carrie" later this year, the studio is going back to the vault again to develop a remake of John Sturges' 1960 Western "The Magnificent Seven" with Tom Cruise attached to star.

There is no director onboard yet, though sources tell Variety that MGM has quietly started its search for a writer.

Sources caution that while Cruise has long been interested in saddling up for a "Magnificent Seven" remake, the project is still a long ways off and is not in Cruise's immediate plans.

"The Magnificent Seven," itself a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 classic "Seven Samurai," starred Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter and Horst Buchholz as a group of American gunmen hired to protect a small Mexican village from a group of savage bandits led by Calvera (Eli Wallach). The 1960 film was followed by three sequels, and "The Magnificent Seven" was remade as a CBS series in 1998-2000.

MGM is focused on mining its library for redos. In addition to "RoboCop" and "Carrie," the Lion is developing remakes of "Poltergeist," with Sam Raimi producing; "WarGames," with Seth Gordon directing; "Death Wish," with Joe Carnahan directing; and "Valley Girl." Open Road will distribute MGM's "Red Dawn" remake on Nov. 21.

Cruise next stars in New Line's musical adaptation "Rock of Ages" and an adaptation of Lee Child's thriller novel "One Shot," which Paramount will release on Dec. 21. He will segue from Joseph Kosinski's "Oblivion," which is currently filming, into Doug Liman's Warner Bros. actioner "All You Need Is Kill."

CAA-repped thesp has a lot of potential projects on his plate, as he's also attached to star in Universal's "Van Helsing" and a Paramount comedy spun off from his "Tropic Thunder" character Les Grossman.

Par is also courting Cruise to return for "Top Gun 2," while Clint Eastwood is eyeing him to star opposite Beyonce in WB's musical "A Star Is Born."

Frazod
05-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Hollywood is so full of fail. It really is sad. :shake:

listopencil
05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
It's like a giant vat of pus, with meaty chunks that keep gurgling back to the top, to break apart and release poisonous fumes.

bowener
05-23-2012, 12:03 AM
As long as they make a profit, shit will get rehashed. Pretty sure Hollywood has always been about the remakes though. I kind of want to dig into the past and see how much of early Hollywood was remaking a silent film or a play/book instead of creating something original like we all seem to assume they did.

SnakeXJones
05-23-2012, 12:03 AM
a remake of a remake

Fairplay
05-23-2012, 12:05 AM
I thought the Magnificent seven was overrated. It was comical to see them hold up a fingers to count who else joined.

Also i observed Yul Brynner in a few scenes where he would walk up a hill, and appear to be out of breath. Of course he was a heavy smoker and that's what did him in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI

Guru
05-23-2012, 12:26 AM
CAA-repped thesp has a lot of potential projects on his plate, as he's also attached to star in Universal's "Van Helsing" and a Paramount comedy spun off from his "Tropic Thunder" character Les Grossman.
hmmm

listopencil
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
As long as they make a profit, shit will get rehashed. Pretty sure Hollywood has always been about the remakes though. I kind of want to dig into the past and see how much of early Hollywood was remaking a silent film or a play/book instead of creating something original like we all seem to assume they did.

I don't think anyone is saying that Hollywood must find original screenplays to be good, just that the hack job bullshit remakes of mediocre movies from the past is disappointing.

Bump
05-23-2012, 12:58 AM
As MGM prepares to start production on "RoboCop"

I got a boner

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2012, 01:27 AM
As MGM prepares to start production on "RoboCop"

I got a boner

Joel Kinnaman is playing Robo

Setsuna
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM

Does that mean his boner should go limp or does that mean it should become a mega boner?

Bump
05-23-2012, 01:36 PM

who?

Tribal Warfare
05-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Does that mean his boner should go limp or does that mean it should become a mega boner?

He's an actor on AMC's The Killing, I've never seen the show myself but others who have apparently love the choice.

Thig Lyfe
05-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Hollywood is so full of fail. It really is sad. :shake:

im sad w/o u :(

whoman69
05-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I haven't seen all of the original, but it seemed entertaining and is considered a classic. The fact that Hollywood can't come up with any new ideas is totally disappointing.