PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you like your job?

The Dawg
05-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Personally I am in a position right now where I could give a **** less about where I work. The pay is decent. The work is hard, the bosses who work with us on a regular basis are complete assholes. The upper ranking supervisors are nice, but you don't see them very often. Not to mention it's working 3rd shift most of the time.

I just graduated with my Bachelors degree a couple of weeks ago, and can't wait to get a job in my field. Just wondered if ya'll were happy with the career choices you made.

evolve27
05-29-2012, 02:37 AM
My job sucks. There has to be something better!

Baconeater
05-29-2012, 05:49 AM
It's complicated.

Easy 6
05-29-2012, 06:23 AM
I do, talking to people & doing some paperwork isnt so bad, i've had to work a lot harder for my paychecks at most other jobs.

JD10367
05-29-2012, 06:27 AM
I used to love my job. Well, okay, not "love", but it was an easy job because I knew it well, it was a prestigious job because few people did it, it was an interesting job because most people were impressed by it. Then it was taken away by technology.

Now? Now, I'm a suit monkey, doing stuff that mostly they can hire someone else to do. My job security is now tenuous, I have to deal with the general public, I have to deal with office politics, blah blah blah. It's still mildly interesting but it's also mostly tedium, repetition, and menial.

So, I guess, no, I don't like it.

Delano
05-29-2012, 06:32 AM
Most days I love it. However, on those shit days, I tell myself, "work to live, don't live to work."

Bane
05-29-2012, 06:34 AM
I love what I do,I just hate some of the bullshit and school kid drama that comes with working with others.

KC Tattoo
05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
I like my job other than getting use to the night shift it's pretty relaxed and easy going for the most part.

notorious
05-29-2012, 06:58 AM
I love it. I am the best at what I do, and the services I provide really make people happy.

Zeke
05-29-2012, 07:03 AM
It's complicated.

^^

kysirsoze
05-29-2012, 07:11 AM
My job is a day job while I try to get into my chosen field. As day jobs go, it's pretty decent. I have benefits, good hourly pay, and it's honestly not too difficult. I'd rather be able to do without it, but for the time being I'm cool.

Ceej
05-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Could be better, could be worse.

I make decent money for what I do.

Is it something I could see myself doing the rest of my life?

Probably not.

Bwana
05-29-2012, 07:12 AM
As long as I stay out of the office and on the road, I love it. If I spend too much time in the office, I don't like it. This one is easy, stay the hell out of the office, which I do 95% of the time. I also love the paycheck, which is why I'm still there. :)

On a side note, I have a guy in my office, skittish little prick, (French Canadian go figure) that says "weeeeeee" (like the Geico pig) when he gets nervous. He gets nervous a lot.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ3dgxEww7tZYkHbcpzBZVSliFiYaaC7UXGJS3QKMrYmtRqVm3mBls3UCX

If he gets REALLY nervous, he wanders around saying "weeeee Dupree." :spock:

Yeah, if he didn't weigh 135 pounds, I would have taken one for the team by now and buried him in the hills, or used him for fish chum.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

loochy
05-29-2012, 07:14 AM
It's pretty good. At times it's boring, but I get to be a part of a lot of cool stuff too.

|Zach|
05-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Yes. Long sales cycles can make things challenging at times though.

Donger
05-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Absolutely, I look forward to it every day.

LVNHACK
05-29-2012, 07:17 AM
I love my job....I can't stand my company

Omaha
05-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I like my job. However, if I could get paid without doing my job, I'd just stay home.

Steve
05-29-2012, 08:09 AM
NO

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 08:35 AM
I love it. I am the best at what I do, and the services I provide really make people happy.

Happy Endings masseur?

:D

I love my job, don't love the pay.

Huffman83
05-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm a 911 operator. I like what I do. I feel good about what I do and how well I can handle my job. I hate the politics that happen with the higher ups. The alliances and decisions made by people who don't exactly understand what it is we do and what we deal with. You end up not wanting to move upward in the chain of command because you don't want to have to deal with the BS. The extra money for the extra responsibility isn't worth it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm a 911 operator. I like what I do. I feel good about what I do and how well I can handle my job. I hate the politics that happen with the higher ups. The alliances and decisions made by people who don't exactly understand what it is we do and what we deal with. You end up not wanting to move upward in the chain of command because you don't want to have to deal with the BS. The extra money for the extra responsibility isn't worth it.

I almost applied for a job doing that about a year ago. I was shocked at the pay level for such an important and stressful job so I didn't even bother. (The pay level here locally that is).

Pasta Giant Meatball
05-29-2012, 08:50 AM

News flash. Not everyone likes your SyFy original movies. They are actually pretty shitty, but I'm glad you enjoy making them ;)

Huffman83
05-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I almost applied for a job doing that about a year ago. I was shocked at the pay level for such an important and stressful job so I didn't even bother. (The pay level here locally that is).

Yeah it can be pretty thankless and underpaid. I do get paid decently here in Columbia (I'd take a raise though!). However you can never really look at the base salary when it comes to this job. There will always be overtime. I remember one year I made almost 40 grand. My base salary is around 29.

It's a good job, but it's not for everyone. I would prefer a job where I could move around more...maybe see sunlight!

Predarat
05-29-2012, 09:12 AM
My job is decent, could be better but definatly could be worse. Its kind of meh but nothing terrible about it.

L.A. Chieffan
05-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Do you want to know what I do?

MOhillbilly
05-29-2012, 09:20 AM
24-7-365 its a way of life.

TinyEvel
05-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Yes.

And I try my best to make sure the people who work for me do, to. i feel very lucky to be doing what I am doing, I don't take it for granted. There was a time I was very pissed about the job I was doing, and it was the worst time in my career, mostly because I was acting like a dick, not taking control of my situation and acting like I deserved better without working for it.
I work harder than ever now but I am happier than ever.

Braincase
05-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Love my job, love the people I work with. Only job I would consider taking would be a Senior Consultant position with Microsoft Consulting Services.

Pasta Giant Meatball
05-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Taste tester for Kool-Aid, so....OH YEAH!!!

sedated
05-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Not really. Pay is decent, for not much work.

But office politics and working with people outside my demo- and psychographic can be draining. Lots of Peter Principle going on, 1950s business mentality (wearing long hours as a badge of honor), and asking people to do things that are outside what they were hired or should be expected to do.

But when I’m doing my normal stuff, I’m kind of a badass at it, and only have to put in half the time as everyone else to get the same amount done, and spend the rest on the intarwebs.

I bitch about it constantly, but never seem to seriously consider changing.

Radar Chief
05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Yes, but I’m not exactly pleased by the people running this company. We’re owned and run by a board of investers so everything is geared towards the quarterly statement and they’ve shown that they’re willing to screw with people’s lives to make the quarterly statement look better. In fact they would prefer it if they didn’t have to mess with any of us and if they could buy a product from someone else, slap our label on it and ship it out for a profit they wouldn’t.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah it can be pretty thankless and underpaid. I do get paid decently here in Columbia (I'd take a raise though!). However you can never really look at the base salary when it comes to this job. There will always be overtime. I remember one year I made almost 40 grand. My base salary is around 29.

It's a good job, but it's not for everyone. I would prefer a job where I could move around more...maybe see sunlight!

Wasn't trying to pry into what you make or anything. You're certainly paid better than the wages here are. The job I was going to apply for was overnights, which was bad enough, but then when I read the salary I was all holy hell that's way under what I make now for doing a dumb job let alone one where lives can be on the line. Talk about being under appreciated.

Lumpy
05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I like my job and the pay is decent. I've been in the commercial graphics/printing industry for over 17 years, (11 of those years with my current employer). I'm working for a small company though so no benefits. I also have no time off for vacation, (nobody to fill-in for me), and if our profits suck... no raise, (I haven't received a raise in 3 years). :(

The biggest pain with my job is dealing with clients that have unrealistic expectations. For instance, we were just doing a project for a large corporation and they cancelled their order after we had completed the print production. They were informed, (prior to production), that their job normally takes 7-10 working days to complete, but we were going to expedite it for them to meet their May 30th deadline. They called to cancel on the 25th because they thought that we would have their project completed in 2 working days. :spock:

It wasn't a high profit job to begin with, but it was unethical for them to cancel in mid-production. I'm sure that they assume that they will not be billed for our time and materials, but they are wrong. :mad: /vent

Anyway, yes, I like my job. Now, if you guys will excuse me, I must contact this client and tell them that they are morons. :)

Gonzo
05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
This is the 3rd time I've come back to this company to perform the same job. I've tested the waters and found that I hate it everywhere else.
My boss is one of my best buddies and he makes sure I'm taken care of.
My customers and employees all love me.
I make my own hours, 90% of the time.
I get a company car with free gas that I get to take home.

Life is pretty good. My pay could be a little better, (as could my benefits) but I'm comfortable here and I'm damn good at what I do.

I also get to dig up dirt on people on a regular basis. Which is nice.

Gonzo
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I like my job and the pay is decent. I've been in the commercial graphics/printing industry for over 17 years, (11 of those years with my current employer). I'm working for a small company though so no benefits. I also have no time off for vacation, (nobody to fill-in for me), and if our profits suck... no raise, (I haven't received a raise in 3 years). :(

The biggest pain with my job is dealing with clients that have unrealistic expectations. For instance, we were just doing a project for a large corporation and they cancelled their order after we had completed the print production. They were informed, (prior to production), that their job normally takes 7-10 working days to complete, but we were going to expedite it for them to meet their May 30th deadline. They called to cancel on the 25th because they thought that we would have their project completed in 2 working days. :spock:

It wasn't a high profit job to begin with, but it was unethical for them to cancel in mid-production. I'm sure that they assume that they will not be billed for our time and materials, but they are wrong. :mad: /vent

Anyway, yes, I like my job. Now, if you guys will excuse me, I must contact this client and tell them that they are morons. :)

Gonzo's Job>Lumpy's Job

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
It's so cute when you two post back to back.

Steron
05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
The first 4 years, yes. The last 2 1/2, no. It's time for me to move on. The 70 minute ride to and from work got old 2 years ago.

DaFace
05-29-2012, 09:51 AM
For the most part, yes. I love the people I work with (except Rain Man of course), and I couldn't ask for a better working environment. The work itself and a few other issues make the day-to-day job satisfaction a bit of a roller coaster, but overall, I'm content.

Nzoner
05-29-2012, 09:56 AM
I own two businesses and of the two I absolutely love the fireworks business,too bad it's only about five weeks out of the year.

boogblaster
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
whatever trips ya trigger .. best to stay right now till ya sure there's a good job out there for ya .. jobs are real hard to get right now .....

Chieftain58
05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Ehhh?! Kinda ok

ChiTown
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I am extremely blessed. I am doing what I want to do, and getting paid well to do it. No complaints at all.

Gonzo
05-29-2012, 10:08 AM

I know. Doesn't it just make you wanna puke?

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I know. Doesn't it just make you wanna puke?

I actually just did.

Lumpy
Gonzo's Job>Lumpy's Job

QFT

I think he's stalking me. :spock:

mikeyis4dcats.
I used to like it more. I used to work with my late brother, so not having him around every day is hard, yet I am reminded every day when I see his name, or another reminder of him around here.

One of my most disliked coworkers is gone, so that helps, but the economy has definitely made my job much more stressful.

Gonzo
05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I actually just did.

Me too.

Gonzo
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
My job is about to get better in some areas but much worse in others. Someone's about to get shit canned which is great because he's a douche. However, my work load is about to double.

SuperChief
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm a college student, so the jobs I've had recently have been more temporary than anything, but I have to say that I've really enjoyed them. Currently I manage the advertising and marketing for my school's newspaper, and I just got hired for an internship in Lenexa by a "web presence management" firm. I'm looking forward to it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM
QFT

I think he's stalking me. :spock:

Gat damn you!

:mad:

ROFL

:clap:

edit.... oh I get it now. Duh. Moran alert...

Radar Chief
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
My job is about to get better in some areas but much worse in others. Someone's about to get shit canned which is great because he's a douche. However, my work load is about to double.

Been there, it’s worth it. Seems like the extra work isn’t nearly as difficult once you get the doucher out of the way.

Lumpy
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Gat damn you!

:mad:

ROFL

:clap:

edit.... oh I get it now. Duh. Moran alert...

:facepalm:

I should have specified that Gonzo was stalking me. LMAO

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
:facepalm:

I should have specified that Gonzo was stalking me. LMAO

That would have ruined the joke (on me) and a perfectly good chance for me to look like a slapdick again though. It's not you, it's me.

Codered
05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I've been pretty lucky. I have really liked the two jobs that have filled the majority of my adult life. I am currently with a company that offers amazing perks and opportunities to their employees. You don't find that many companies that walk the walk when they talk about taking care of their employees.

raybec 4
05-29-2012, 10:53 AM
That would have ruined the joke (on me) and a perfectly good chance for me to look like a slapdick again though. It's not you, it's me.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8TnhNxKNlU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8TnhNxKNlU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Fish
05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Pimpin ain't easy. Lots of people will erroneously tell you it is. They'll fill you up with misinformation, making you think that the pimpin career is foolproof and manageable. They'll show you jewelry and fine cars. They'll go on and on about it. But the truth that I've learned... through hard lessons and loss of money.. is that pimpin is indeed hard.

Easy 6
05-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm going to have to change my status if the boss keeps up his line of shit all day.

Proved him wrong on something this morning & now he's being a bit of a dick, just looking for things he can tell me i'm wrong about.

okcchief
05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Love my job. Love the pay. Hate the decisions the company I work for is making and hope I still have it in a few years.

stevieray
05-29-2012, 11:19 AM
my job likes me.

Setsuna
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
You mean you couldn't care less. I'm getting tired of this.

kysirsoze
05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
You mean you couldn't care less. I'm getting tired of this.

Maybe he has but one fuck to give. DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT.

rageeumr
05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm in a weird spot with my job.

I love what I do. I LOVE the company I work for.

Perhaps the best thing is the freedom. I have all the freedom in the world, both professionally and otherwise. In other words, if I come up with an idea about some new thing I want to try, I'll almost certainly get the green light. I also make my own schedule. I work as much or as little as I think necessary to get my stuff done. I'm a triathlete, and I do some sort of workout during "normal" business hours probably 3 days a week.

I'm also probably paid more than I should be. How often do you hear that? And that's where the rub is. I wish I were better at my job. I have 2 very disparate responsibilities, sell work and then perform it. I'm ok at both. Not confident/personable enough to be a lights-out salesman and not organized/thoughtful enough to be an "A" project manager.

I am really, really slow right now, and I think that's what's fueling most of these feelings. I used to just do the work I was handed and be happy. Now that I'm responsible for killing my own meals, though, it weighs on me when I don't have enough to do. And then I feel guilty that I'm not breaking out the phone book and cold calling, or doing whatever it takes to help the company succeed.

/whiny rant

Baconeater
05-29-2012, 11:49 AM
This is one of my biggest hangups with the job I'm currently at, which I am leaving in two weeks. Fucking corporate meatheads that are completely out of touch with reality, and think they know more about my properties than I do and never ask for my input on anything. They do nothing but complicate things for me 95% of the time.

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Not really.

Sponging Unemployment benefits and looking for work sucks. The past 3 weeks haven't been terrible since I'm in Florida with my son.

I did, however like my last job.

scho63
05-29-2012, 01:12 PM
My job is really fun and it's been nearly 15 years since I can say that.

I'm only in the office one day a week on the phone and the other four on the road. I'm outdoors a lot, drive about 700-1000 miles a week, company pays all my gas, cell phone, great health and dental plan that is 100% covered, small perks, and great commission structure.

This is also the first time in over 20 years where I am only responsible for my self and my sales. I've run so many sales teams and it's really a delight to have so little stress.

I also make my own hours and have few guidelines or hard rules.

The one basic rule; make enough sales and you can do what you want....

Cephalic Trauma
05-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Student ftw!

loochy
05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Student ftl!

fyp

Cephalic Trauma
05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
fyp

I would take being a college student over a 9-5 job any day.

Hoover
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM
The boss is a dick
I work more hours than anyone else
I'm always on call
Everybody tells me their personal and work problems

That's right, I own a small business.

Fish
05-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I get along very well with my boss. Guess I should be more thankful about that....

tooge
05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Sort of. Wonderful pay. Make my own hours. Feeling of helping others. Those are the positives. I'd rather be a forest ranger or something outdoors, but the pay sux

loochy
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't. Life is sooo much better now.

ChiTown
05-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Well, that really only works for a short period of time, unless you are a trust fund baby.

Hog Farmer
05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
I love it. I am the best at what I do, and the services I provide really make my livestock happy.

I couldn't have said it better!

Cephalic Trauma
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't. Life is sooo much better now.

To each their own, i guess. It depends on whether you enjoy what you study, and what you do in your spare time. Being on campus and in a fraternity was what made it the best 4 years of my life. I'm a med student now, so it's not as fun, but I still love being free to do what I want to do when I want to, outside of studying of course.

TrebMaxx
05-29-2012, 02:00 PM

I bet the last couple of weeks have been drama city for you.

Setsuna
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe he has but one **** to give. DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT.

ROFL :( No...I did not.

scho63
05-29-2012, 02:11 PM
The boss is a dick
I work more hours than anyone else
I'm always on call
Everybody tells me their personal and work problems

That's right, I own a small business.

....and everyone thinks they deserve a lot more money! LMAO

loochy
05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
To each their own, i guess. It depends on whether you enjoy what you study, and what you do in your spare time. Being on campus and in a fraternity was what made it the best 4 years of my life. I'm a med student now, so it's not as fun, but I still love being free to do what I want to do when I want to, outside of studying of course.

Imagine doing whatever you want in your off time...but having money to do it with.

Imagine going to work and doing what you studied and having random problems thrown to you to solve as you see fit.

I guess the difference between me and other people is that I have an actual career that I enjoy rather than some 9-5 robot "do what you are told by your supervisor for hourly pay" kind of job.

Cephalic Trauma
05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Imagine doing whatever you want in your off time...but having money to do it with.

Imagine going to work and doing what you studied and having random problems thrown to you to solve as you see fit.

I guess the difference between me and other people is that I have an actual career that I enjoy rather than some 9-5 robot "do what you are told by your supervisor for hourly pay" kind of job.

:thumb:

And that's ****ing awesome. That's what I hope to get out of medicine.

wutamess
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Pros:
Very overpaid
Flexible schedule.
My job I do is very specialized and there's not many of us around.
Don't have to deal with office politics as I'm a contractor hence no promotions.
Don't have to take the stupid yearly don't feel anyone up courses.
Don't have to work on bettering myself or my skillset.
40 hour work weeks (get paid OT which is straight pay).
Demanded (after receiving a job offer) a pay raise of $10k last year and got it as they'd rather pay you more than let down the client.
Job security is better than the actual FTE's. Never understod that one but ain't questioning it.

Cons:
No promotions (I'm fine with that)
No benefits (use my wifes)
No vacation/sick time hence the overpay. (Would rather get paid for days I'm working instead of losing vaca days at end of year or carrying over).
No retirement plans hence the ovepay.
No yearly raises (I'm ok with that)

Would I change anything? Maybe a fulltime employee that makes as much as I make but sisce I use the wifes benefits I don't even indulge in the possibilites. Within the last 5 months, I received offers for fulltime employment making close to what I make and one was even work from home. The wfh option seems nice but I actually like gettitg out of the house daily and fighting traffic, etc. I've done the wfh thing before and it's not all roses as u can get stagnant really quick.

The second position they kept pressing me for an interview we discussed salary up front and seemed like they would accommodate my requests with ease but I did some lurking on glassdoor about sogetti and didn't feel like doing the politics shuffle (if it int broke don't fix it).

At this point my free time is more of a priority than anything with all of the kiddos in various activties. Being a contractor I love how they just want me to work my 40 hours and take my ass home.

WV
05-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Very

DJ's left nut
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
I like having it.

Does that count?

BWillie
05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't rly care, I'm retiring in 3-4 yrs anyway

|Zach|
05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Sort of. Wonderful pay. Make my own hours. Feeling of helping others. Those are the positives. I'd rather be a forest ranger or something outdoors, but the pay sux

Set up your office in the forest. Chairs and everything.

I AM A MOTHER FUCKING PROBLEM SOLVER.

BillSelfsTrophycase
05-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Is this you?

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/t_fred_garvin_304.jpg

Inmem58
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Depends on what job we do. I work in the Oilfields so we have our good days and bad days. I fix the shit that fucks up, sometimes we have easy fixes and sometimes we have fixes that can take weeks.

I like the people, some guys are fucking ate up though. Hate summer time out here. Worse part about the job is summer. Good money though.

Discuss Thrower
05-29-2012, 03:36 PM
College graduate, but unemployed for the mean time as I'm about to start out for a second bachelor degree. I'm guessing my first degree will hinder my chances of getting a part time job that can mesh with my class schedule.

I fucked up in my life choices.

rico
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
College graduate, but unemployed for the mean time as I'm about to start out for a second bachelor degree. I'm guessing my first degree will hinder my chances of getting a part time job that can mesh with my class schedule.

I ****ed up in my life choices.

Me too.... I majored in Psychology at a private school...got my BA and found out that in terms of finances, I will have a VERY tough time supporting my family, PAYING MY ****ING STUDENT LOANS and working in this field simultaneously. So I think I'm going to Nursing school....which is what I should have done to begin with.

Psyko Tek
05-29-2012, 06:14 PM
I love mine until Payday

BigRedChief
05-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I make a positive difference every single day. I have directly saved heroes lives but I do miss the rush of dealing with life and death every day.

DTLB58
05-29-2012, 06:54 PM
It's not my dream job, but I don't hate it and the pay/benefits are pretty darn good and my boss isn't a dick. So I find myself lucky. :thumb:

Huffman83
05-29-2012, 07:06 PM
I bet the last couple of weeks have been drama city for you.

We don't fear losing our jobs, but there's just a great amount of uncertainty. I think the previous director deserved better than what she got. She always went to bat for us and got a lot of things taken care of that the last administrator either fucked up or didn't care about. Whether I'm there or not that place will exist in some way shape or form. Unless the City of Columbia completely implodes that is!

Easy 6
05-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't rly care, I'm retiring in 3-4 yrs anyway

As i recall, you're a pretty young guy, what do you do?

rockymtnchief
05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Pros: Decent pay, great benefits, pension and 401k, the scenery changes daily, 4 (10's), lots of vacation time. I had a lot of vacation stockpiled and sold 65 hours back to the company to pay for a new toy.

Cons: Not many guys climb poles anymore. I get volunteered a lot. Working on aerial equipment in the winter sucks.

Mr_Tomahawk
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I design college football and baseball stadiums.

I dig it.

Easy 6
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Pros: Decent pay, great benefits, pension and 401k, the scenery changes daily, 4 (10's), lots of vacation time. I had a lot of vacation stockpiled and sold 65 hours back to the company to pay for a new toy.

Cons: Not many guys climb poles anymore. I get volunteered a lot. Working on aerial equipment in the winter sucks.

Oh crap, do you service cellphone towers?

If so, you deserve every penny you make.

rockymtnchief
05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh crap, do you service cellphone towers?

If so, you deserve every penny you make.

I used to climb towers, but not in 9 years now.

Now I plow cable/fiber and do aerial work in the winter since the ground is froze. I rarely get over 20' anymore. However, working off gaffs in high winds in the winter even at 15' is a bitch.

Pitt Gorilla
05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I absolutely LOVE my job. The pay isn't outstanding, but I really can't complain either. I love my students and my colleagues.

RJ
05-29-2012, 09:53 PM
My job is really fun and it's been nearly 15 years since I can say that.

I'm only in the office one day a week on the phone and the other four on the road. I'm outdoors a lot, drive about 700-1000 miles a week, company pays all my gas, cell phone, great health and dental plan that is 100% covered, small perks, and great commission structure.

This is also the first time in over 20 years where I am only responsible for my self and my sales. I've run so many sales teams and it's really a delight to have so little stress.

I also make my own hours and have few guidelines or hard rules.

The one basic rule; make enough sales and you can do what you want....

What do you sell?

TrebMaxx
05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
We don't fear losing our jobs, but there's just a great amount of uncertainty. I think the previous director deserved better than what she got. She always went to bat for us and got a lot of things taken care of that the last administrator either ****ed up or didn't care about. Whether I'm there or not that place will exist in some way shape or form. Unless the City of Columbia completely implodes that is!

I have no doubt that your job security is safe. I just think there is some shit going down in this city and it all leads to the city manager. Not a fan. I feel for you guys right now. Hang in there.

Huffman83
05-30-2012, 07:25 AM
I have no doubt that your job security is safe. I just think there is some shit going down in this city and it all leads to the city manager. Not a fan. I feel for you guys right now. Hang in there.

Agreed! But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me. I show up to work, answer 911 calls, get people the help they want (Whether they deserve it isn't up to me.) do my job, keep my mouth shut and get paid. My job has prepared me to basically accept that shit happens and there's nothing that you can do about it.

oldman
05-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Most of my life, I worked for a great company with fair pay and good benefits. There were assignments that I enjoyed more than others. I felt I deserved more money, but overall it was a good place to work. After retiring, I got bored and went to work for another company in the same industry. Great pay, good benefits, but it was a lousy place to work. No training, incompetent leadership, and the never ending series of layoffs. After 2 1/2 years, I welcomed my layoff and said hello to doing what I want to do. Much better gig, except it doesn't pay much.

Archie F. Swin
05-30-2012, 08:36 AM
cons-
bad schedule (alarm sounds at 2:00am)
limited vacation opportunities
If someone in our dept leaves, I automatically go to 6 day work weeks
less than ideal wages, little hope for comfortable retirement

pros-
I like my boss and most of my co-workers
My boss and most of my co-worker like and respect me
I enjoy the job 75% of the time
It can be an exciting place to work
we often get free tickets/passes to local events
people in public know may name and many of them greet me with a smile or a nod of appreciation.
my job is a wonderful creative outlet
I work in an climate-controlled space

ChiefsNow
05-31-2012, 04:30 AM
I own two businesses and of the two I absolutely love the fireworks business,too bad it's only about five weeks out of the year.

That's enough time to blow people to bits.

ChiefsNow
05-31-2012, 04:31 AM
I love my new job in my own private Idaho. I just worked my first day (10 hours). I like the job and the people here. I'm good with it.

El Jefe
05-31-2012, 06:18 AM
Me too.... I majored in Psychology at a private school...got my BA and found out that in terms of finances, I will have a VERY tough time supporting my family, PAYING MY ****ING STUDENT LOANS and working in this field simultaneously. So I think I'm going to Nursing school....which is what I should have done to begin with.

Nursing is a great major. My wife just graduated with her BSN and RN a couple weeks back. Once she gets a job we will start making "paper, paper" and I CAN'T wait. Great field though, it's so expansive that there is a plethora of jobs to be had, and most have good pay and great benefits.

Bwana
05-31-2012, 06:48 AM
I love my new job in my own private Idaho. I just worked my first day (10 hours). I like the job and the people here. I'm good with it.

Good for you, now go find a few of the local lakes and catch some fish.

Inmem58
05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/aabdcc19-7fef-06f7.jpg

I'll be inside this Gas Plant all day long. Booooooooo

Mr. Plow
05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1316565207084_8197736.png