PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama doesn't know a Nazi from a Pole. But Polls he knows

HonestChieffan
05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Dufuss President. Blame Totus. Or Bush.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/president-obama-causes-outrage-with-reference-to-polish-death-camp/

(ABC News) — Poles and Polish-Americans expressed outrage today at President Obama’s reference earlier to “a Polish death camp” — as opposed to a Nazi death camp in German-occupied Poland.

“The White House will apologize for this outrageous error,” Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski tweeted. Sikorski said that Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk “will make a statement in the morning. It’s a pity that this important ceremony was upstaged by ignorance and incompetence.”

The president had been trying to honor a famous Pole, awarding a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Jan Karski, a resistance fighter who sneaked behind enemy lines to bear witness to the atrocities being committed against Jews. President Obama referred to him being smuggled “into the Warsaw ghetto and a Polish death camp to see for himself.”

Sikorski also tonight tweeted a link to an Economist story noting that “few things annoy Poles more than being blamed for the crimes committed by the Nazi occupiers of their homeland. For many years, Polish media, diplomats and politicians have tried to persuade outsiders to stop using the phrase ‘Polish death camps’ as a shorthand description of Auschwitz and other exemplars of Nazi brutality and mass murder. Unfortunately this seems to have escaped BaracK Obama’s staff seem not to have noticed this.”

National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a statement, “The President was referring to Nazi death camps operated in Poland. The President has demonstrated in word and deed his rock-solid commitment to our close alliance with Poland.”

Aries Walker
05-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Whoopsie.

Shaid
05-29-2012, 08:12 PM
wow, slip of the tongue. Way better than saying we're going on a "crusade" to the middle east.

SNR
05-29-2012, 08:12 PM
OOOHHH TOUCHY SUBJECT

Saul Good
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Embarrassing, certainly, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. I give this three "meh"s out of four.

Brock
05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Get a life.

InChiefsHell
05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Obama said something fucking stupid? Stop the presses.

...seriously, nothing to see here. Just another dumb ass slip of the tongue, proving that Obama is just as bad as Bush was. Wonder if the Obots can admit that...

La literatura
05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Obama said something ****ing stupid? Stop the presses.

...seriously, nothing to see here. Just another dumb ass slip of the tongue, proving that Obama is just as bad as Bush was. Wonder if the Obots can admit that...

It wasn't a slip of the tongue. It wasn't even a dumb thing to say. And it certainly doesn't imply to an educated audience that the Polish were responsible for death camps.

La literatura
05-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Dufuss President.

Nice try.

Brock
05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I haven't heard him say nucular yet.

headsnap
05-29-2012, 09:19 PM
It wasn't even a dumb thing to say.

LOLOLOL

I guess he can say goodbye to the Polish vote...

headsnap
05-29-2012, 09:19 PM
I haven't heard him say nucular yet.

of corpse you haven't....

La literatura
05-29-2012, 09:22 PM
LOLOLOL

Why? Are Polish people morons?

headsnap
05-29-2012, 09:27 PM

since you brought it up, I'll let you answer the question.

La literatura
05-29-2012, 09:32 PM

I guess you think they are.

headsnap
05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I guess you think they are.

don't go putting words in my mouth, YOU are the one who brought it up... why is that? :hmmm:

mikey23545
05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Which one of the 57 states did the Poles settle in, anyway?

mikey23545
05-29-2012, 09:42 PM
It wasn't a slip of the tongue. It wasn't even a dumb thing to say. And it certainly doesn't imply to an educated audience that the Polish were responsible for death camps.

If it had been a Republican president you'd be calling for impeachment, you disingenuous, pretentious little windbag.

mikey23545
05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
wow, slip of the tongue teleprompter. Way better than saying we're going on a "crusade" to the middle east.

FYP.

Brock
05-29-2012, 09:57 PM
of corpse you haven't....

:LOL:

J Diddy
05-29-2012, 10:10 PM

LOLOLOL

This isn't too difficult to follow. Lit said an educated audience would understand that it wasn't a dumb thing to say. Then you state that the comment would lose the Polish vote. (implying that they were not an educated audience). Then lit asked you and then you chicken shitted out.

Can't be much simpler than that.

Cave Johnson
05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Inane shit for HCF et al to bitch about, part eleventybillion.

J Diddy
05-29-2012, 10:11 PM
If it had been a Republican president you'd be calling for impeachment, you disingenuous, pretentious little windbag.

Thank God he didn't get a blowjob then the right would be on him as well.

La literatura
05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
don't go putting words in my mouth, YOU are the one who brought it up... why is that? :hmmm:

Because you said he lost the Polish vote. Are you drinking? Or are you as dumb as you seem to think Polish people are.

AustinChief
05-29-2012, 10:41 PM

It was an incredibly stupid thing to say and you should know that.

What about continually mispronouncing Navy Corpsmen? There is ZERO excuse for an educated person not knowing how to pronounce corpsmen. Please explain the excuse for our COMMANDER IN CHIEF being that ignorant?

You know for a fact these types of mistakes would be major news if this was Bush. Will you at least admit that?

Dave Lane
05-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Game changer.

La literatura
05-29-2012, 10:53 PM

No, it wasn't stupid. A reasonable person would not know that calling Aushwitz a "Polish death camp" was somehow denigrating to Polish people, because every educated person knows that it was the Nazis in Germany that were the cause of the camps. This would be my reaction if Bush said it, or any other American said it.

No Bush language mistake was ever "major news." The New York Times never featured a gaffe of Bush as actual news. Instead, his mistakes were subjects of threads on liberal message boards (similar to this thread), featured in political cartoons, and collected in cheap humor books and sold as stocking stuffers.

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2012, 11:00 PM
LMAO

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
No, it wasn't stupid. A reasonable person would not know that calling Aushwitz a "Polish death camp" was somehow denigrating to Polish people, because every educated person knows that it was the Nazis in Germany that were the cause of the camps. This would be my reaction if Bush said it, or any other American said it.

No Bush language mistake was ever "major news." The New York Times never featured a gaffe of Bush as actual news. Instead, his mistakes were subjects of threads on liberal message boards (similar to this thread), featured in political cartoons, and collected in cheap humor books and sold as stocking stuffers.I dont know that I've ever heard anyone refer to them as Polish Death Camps.

I'm not Polish, so I dont care, but its fairly ignorant of him to say that.

J Diddy
05-29-2012, 11:20 PM

What about continually mispronouncing Navy Corpsmen? There is ZERO excuse for an educated person not knowing how to pronounce corpsmen. Please explain the excuse for our COMMANDER IN CHIEF being that ignorant?

You know for a fact these types of mistakes would be major news if this was Bush. Will you at least admit that?

Is this what politics are today? The battle of mispronunciations?

They were in poland, they were death camps, and yes they probably could have been more clear. Perhaps Nazi run polish death camps, but really. What person is so lacking in intelligence that they think that Obama meant Polish run death camps or Navy corpsemen?

Fucking rightwingers all got adhd. They keep going on about how bad a job he's done overall, but keep getting sidetracked by the nonsignificant shit.

AustinChief
05-29-2012, 11:24 PM

No Bush language mistake was ever "major news." The New York Times never featured a gaffe of Bush as actual news. Instead, his mistakes were subjects of threads on liberal message boards (similar to this thread), featured in political cartoons, and collected in cheap humor books and sold as stocking stuffers.

#1 You can't possibly believe that the term Polish death camp wouldn't be offensive to Poles. Either you are being a partisan hack or you are being piss ignorant. Which is it?

#2 You can't be serious? Maybe I was loose with the term "major news" but his gaffes certainly were showcased by the media. What about Dan Quayle and the "potatoe" incident? That was ALL OVER the news and no more ignorant that calling a corpsman a corpse-man. What about the almost identical microphone gaffes by Obama and Bush where Bush's received a ton of coverage and Obama very little? http://www.mrc.org/node/38375

Either you simply don't pay much attention or you're flat out lying.

AustinChief
05-29-2012, 11:28 PM

They were in poland, they were death camps, and yes they probably could have been more clear. Perhaps Nazi run polish death camps, but really. What person is so lacking in intelligence that they think that Obama meant Polish run death camps or Navy corpsemen?

Fucking rightwingers all got adhd. They keep going on about how bad a job he's done overall, but keep getting sidetracked by the nonsignificant shit.

The Polish death camp thing is offensive to Poles. Period. It was incredibly stupid for him to say it.

The "corpsemen" gaffe isn't that big of a deal except that if you don't know how to pronounce the word "corpsmen" you are a fucking moron. There really is no excuse for that. BUT that isn't my big complaint, I already knew he wasn't that bright... my big complaint is the bias in coverage. If Bush had done this it would be all over the morning shows and late night talk shows... at a minimum.

listopencil
05-29-2012, 11:34 PM
The Polish death camp thing is offensive to Poles. Period. It was incredibly stupid for him to say it.

It has never occurred to me refer to them as Polish death camps. I just don't understand why someone would think of them, or refer to one of them, as Polish. I think of them as Nazi institutions wherever they are located. With that being said, I was surprised to hear that such a reference is so highly offensive to the Poles. I can understand how it could be though.

Otter
05-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Call someone "Asian" instead of the correct country they're from and Jenson will throw a hissy fit.

The dumb **** in office calls a country that was raped and their people burned alive and put into slave labor the cause and it's just a silly mistake.

You're ****ing neat Jenson. I like watching you step on your own balls. Please, continue.

headsnap
05-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Because you said he lost the Polish vote. Are you drinking? Or are you as dumb as you seem to think Polish people are.

resorting to personal attacks?

It's ok Jens, many people have told Polish jokes in the past, you will be forgiven... In my Family, since my uncle was a professor at A&M, we told Aggie jokes.

headsnap
05-30-2012, 05:28 AM
This isn't too difficult to follow. Lit said an educated audience would understand that it wasn't a dumb thing to say. Then you state that the comment would lose the Polish vote. (implying that they were not an educated audience). Then lit asked you and then you chicken shitted out.

I don't buy Jenson's argument that education level of a person is in any way related to how easily offended they are. Case in point, look at American liberals, there isn't another group on this planet with more sandy vaginas useless degrees than them!

Amnorix
05-30-2012, 06:16 AM

Sure, but you STILL don't call them Polish death camps. It's a screw up, no question.

But on a screw up scale of 1 to 10, it's a 1. Maybe even a 0.5.

Amnorix
05-30-2012, 06:40 AM
The "corpsemen" gaffe isn't that big of a deal except that if you don't know how to pronounce the word "corpsmen" you are a fucking moron. There really is no excuse for that. BUT that isn't my big complaint, I already knew he wasn't that bright... my big complaint is the bias in coverage. If Bush had done this it would be all over the morning shows and late night talk shows... at a minimum.

Really? If you haven't been in the military or studied much military stuff, why the hell WOULD you know that word? It's not like it's common in every-day use. Sure, there have been a FEW TV shows that use it, like MASH, but it's not something most people come across on any kind of daily basis.

Obviously he hadn't seen the written word before and so he mispronounced it.

But if everyone who doesn't know how to prounounce it is a fucking moron than I have bad news for you regarding how many people are probably going to be fucking morons if you had Rain Man put together a proper poll.

As to your larger point -- bias in coverage -- I understand your point, but why are you surprised? Bush made a number of similar bone-headed type mistakes and once he got a reputation for ignorance/stupidity, then the media joined everyone in pointing and laughing. Nobody can do as much public speaking as these guys without making at least SOME of these types of stupid mistakes, and if it's rare then the media isn't going to get excited about it because it's not seen as either part of a trend or yet another indicator of an opinion/idea that is starting to take root.

5 or 10 more such incidents, and Obama will start getting the same treatment.

Aries Walker
05-30-2012, 06:44 AM
I think we can forgive Polish Jews for being a little touchy on the subject. This is one of those times when Obama should set aside pollsters and focus groups and advisors and speech-scrubbers and just heartfeltedly apologize. He won't, but he should.

Then behind the scenes, he should give whoever wrote that speech the chewing out of their lifetime.

notorious
05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
, look at American liberals, there isn't another group on this planet with more sandy vaginas useless degrees than them!

LMAO, This is an excellent point. The "Tolerant" are anything but tolerant.

On the flip side, the extreme Religious Right get butthurt a lot, too.

InChiefsHell
05-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Really? If you haven't been in the military or studied much military stuff, why the hell WOULD you know that word? It's not like it's common in every-day use. Sure, there have been a FEW TV shows that use it, like MASH, but it's not something most people come across on any kind of daily basis.

Obviously he hadn't seen the written word before and so he mispronounced it.

He did it twice. An educated man from Harvard or wherever...he doesn't know how to pronounce corpsman? You gotta be kidding me. It's not that big of a deal in the end, but really, it's amazing that he says it wrong twice in the speech. He really has no goddam idea what a corpsman is, he's just reading the teleprompter. But he's a genious!

blaise
05-30-2012, 07:01 AM

He said an educated audience would understand it wasn't dumb. A lot of Poles(well, some) obviously feel it was dumb. It was Lit who implied the offended Poles aren't an educated audience.

headsnap
05-30-2012, 07:04 AM
He said an educated audience would understand it wasn't dumb. A lot of Poles(well, some) obviously feel it was dumb. It was Lit who implied the offended Poles aren't an educated audience.

yup

Amnorix
05-30-2012, 07:08 AM
He did it twice. An educated man from Harvard or wherever...he doesn't know how to pronounce corpsman? You gotta be kidding me. It's not that big of a deal in the end, but really, it's amazing that he says it wrong twice in the speech. He really has no goddam idea what a corpsman is, he's just reading the teleprompter. But he's a genious!

Twice? Wait, same speech, or two different speeches? If it's the same speech then he obviously just doesn't know how to pronounce the word. If two different speeches then, again, he doesn't know how to pronounce it but that's also a major fail on his staff's part to not correct him.

I'm trying to figure out why you guys think corpsman is such a common word that any bright guy should be able to pronounce it. It ONLY comes up in a military setting and it's never used in every day life outside of the military. I watched a zillion hours of MASH as a kid, etc. and I'm an amateur military historian, so sure, I know how to pronounce it, but I'm thinking if I showed the word to my wife, she'd butcher it also because she has zero interest in all things military.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:20 AM
#1 You can't possibly believe that the term Polish death camp wouldn't be offensive to Poles. Either you are being a partisan hack or you are being piss ignorant. Which is it?

I can totally believe that the term "Polish death camp" is offensive to some Poles. After all, the opening post showcases that quite prominently. It's also not the most accurate phrase.

But was it an incredibly stupid thing to say? No. It wasn't even a dumb thing to say, unless a reasonable person would know that the term "Polish death camp" was offensive. But I don't think a reasonable person would know that.

KS Smitty
05-30-2012, 07:26 AM
I can totally believe that the term "Polish death camp" is offensive to some Poles. After all, the opening post showcases that quite prominently. It's also not the most accurate phrase.

But was it an incredibly stupid thing to say? No. It wasn't even a dumb thing to say, unless a reasonable person would know that the term "Polish death camp" was offensive. But I don't think a reasonable person would know that.

And beaner doesn't refer to hispanic people either.

Amnorix
05-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Think if you pause and think about it for a minute it's obvious. Of course, I don't know the circumstances of the statement -- if he was speaking extemporaneously and it just came out that way, without a chance for reflection, etc., then yeah, sure, I guess.

Whatever, it's a nothing in the grand scheme of things. WH will issue an apology and move on.

blaise
05-30-2012, 07:28 AM

I think the person who wrote the line for him should have been aware that Poles are sensitive to that language. He's the US President, someone should have been checking language for him.
I think it's reasonable to expect that some Obama aide check on stuff like this before the speech.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Show me a survey that demonstrates a lot of Poles-Americans are so angry at this, that it changes their mind on who to vote for in November. I doubt you will that. I doubt it exists. But if it does, then yes, they are so overly sensitive that they are irrational.

Headsnap, however, says it does exist. He says Obama has lost the Polish vote, meaning that they are so overly sensitive to be irrational.

It's not just, "Oh, that was dumb. That's really an offensive term." Headsnap argues that Polish people think, "Oh my God! That's so incredible of a term that this man, who I support, has now lost my vote."

The first reaction is understandable. The second is so over the top, to the point of being stupid. There are probably some Poles who think like that, but I doubt it's a significant amount, and certainly not enough to sway the entire population of Polish-American voters.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
I think the person who wrote the line for him should have been aware that Poles are sensitive to that language. He's the US President, someone should have been checking language for him.
I think it's reasonable to expect that some Obama aide check on stuff like this before the speech.

No, I don't think so. It's not a usual thing at all to know. It's not something the average educated person would think is offensive. Life is too short to parse every line in every document looking to see if some reference is offensive to people, even when it's the president speaking.

Move on.

Iz Zat Chew
05-30-2012, 07:35 AM
I haven't heard him say nucular yet.nukier?

blaise
No, I don't think so. It's not a usual thing at all to know. It's not something the average educated person would think is offensive. Life is too short to parse every line in every document looking to see if some reference is offensive to people, even when it's the president speaking.

Move on.

You're right, and that's why I'm sure he won't take any extra measures to try and make sure this type of thing doesn't happen again.

headsnap
Show me a survey that demonstrates a lot of Poles-Americans are so angry at this, that it changes their mind on who to vote for in November. I doubt you will that. I doubt it exists. But if it does, then yes, they are so overly sensitive that they are irrational.

Headsnap, however, says it does exist. He says Obama has lost the Polish vote, meaning that they are so overly sensitive to be irrational.

It's not just, "Oh, that was dumb. That's really an offensive term." Headsnap argues that Polish people think, "Oh my God! That's so incredible of a term that this man, who I support, has now lost my vote."

The first reaction is understandable. The second is so over the top, to the point of being stupid. There are probably some Poles who think like that, but I doubt it's a significant amount, and certainly not enough to sway the entire population of Polish-American voters.

ROFL

Iz Zat Chew
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
RACIST!

headsnap
05-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Life is too short to parse every line in every document looking to see if some reference is offensive to people, even when it's the president speaking.

Move on.

We'll remember this when you are blasting President Romney... ;)

blaise
05-30-2012, 07:38 AM

I don't think it will cost him votes. I was referring to your statement that an educated person wouldn't be offended. Some Poles obviously were. So, your implication is they're uneducated.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Call someone "Asian" instead of the correct country they're from and Jenson will throw a hissy fit.

The dumb **** in office calls a country that was raped and their people burned alive and put into slave labor the cause and it's just a silly mistake.

You're ****ing neat Jenson. I like watching you step on your own balls. Please, continue.

On the other hand, if you tie a black transvestite to a car and drag her to her death, Otter will tell you she had it coming. Make the innocent mistake of referring to Aushwitz as a "Polish death camp," instead of the more accurate, "Nazi death camp," when you are giving out a medal to a Polish person, and Otter will be up in arms, accusing him of saying that Poland was the cause of Aushwitz.*

*This applies only if the person making the innocent mistake is a Democrat, or, presumably, a black transvestite.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:42 AM
You're right, and that's why I'm sure he won't take any extra measures to try and make sure this type of thing doesn't happen again.

He won't. He doesn't care. There's no reason for him to care. It was a mistake, mistakes happen, you issue a half-assed explanation/apology, and move on to more important things, like birth certificates and college transcripts.

Iz Zat Chew
05-30-2012, 07:42 AM

****ing rightwingers all got adhd. They keep going on about how bad a job he's done overall, but keep getting sidetracked by the nonsignificant shit.

How does mispronouncing Nazi come out Polish? Natzi, Notzi, Polish? Not sure how you can extrapolate that gaff by Obama and make your point. Probably as easily as you missspell corpsmen.

Otter
05-30-2012, 07:44 AM
On the other hand, if you tie a black transvestite to a car and drag her to her death, Otter will tell you she had it coming. Make the innocent mistake of referring to Aushwitz as a "Polish death camp," instead of the more accurate, "Nazi death camp," when you are giving out a medal to a Polish person, and Otter will be up in arms, accusing him of saying that Poland was the cause of Aushwitz.*

*This applies only if the person making the innocent mistake is a Democrat, or, presumably, a black transvestite.

Keep sticking words in my mouth as you see to fit to your agenda you disingenuous, pompous asshole.

Whatever pills you're on Jenson, I'm guessing some sort of 'mood stabilizer' (I know the signs) - the cracks are starting to show. Keep it up. I'll pop in every once in awhile to enjoy the show.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
We'll remember this when you are blasting President Romney... ;)

Bookmark this page, please. Unlike you, or most people on this forum, I am consistent in what I get angry about. I don't care that Bush says "nuclear" in some particular way. I won't care if Romney accidentally calls a Taiwan audience "Japanese" or any other stupid shit that silly message board factions get worked up over.

blaise
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
He won't. He doesn't care. There's no reason for him to care. It was a mistake, mistakes happen, you issue a half-assed explanation/apology, and move on to more important things, like birth certificates and college transcripts.

He cares. You don't think he cares when websites like Yahoo have stories on their front page saying, "Obama Offends Poland" for two days?

And I certainly hope you weren't trying to be sarcastic there, because it might make John Knowles cry.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Keep sticking words in my mouth as you see fit to your agenda.

No, you literally implied that the black transvestite was stupid for walking around being a black transvestite, that she should have known better, and was partially to blame for being assaulted and dragged around by a car.

That's why you offered to pay my airfare to walk around at night in a Baltimore ghetto.

Saul Good
05-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Move on.

I don't think this is a big deal, but to say he shouldn't have known better is to cut Obama far more slack than you would cut a Republican.

It would be like calling Jamestown a Native American settlement.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:51 AM
He cares. You don't think he cares when websites like Yahoo have stories on their front page saying, "Obama Offends Poland" for two days?

And I certainly hope you weren't trying to be sarcastic there, because it might make John Knowles cry.

No, he doesn't care, because he has more important things to care about. You don't have more important things to care about, so this is big news to you, and it being on Yahoo, next to a story about how to prevent hair loss and Jessica Simpson's baby pictures, justifies for you your concern. But the President of the Untied States does have more important things to think about.

John Knowles is dead. Your personality has killed him.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I don't think this is a big deal, but to say he shouldn't have known better is to cut Obama far more slack than you would cut a Republican.

It would be like calling Jamestown a Native American settlement.

Bookmark this page; save for when a Republican is president. Kindly bring it to my attention that I'm a hypocrite. I look forward to it. Or better yet, search through my posts for when I've scolded a Republican politician for an honest mistake in a speech. Search all day. You won't find shit.

It's not like calling Jamestown a Native American settlement, which is just completely inaccurate. At least "Polish death camp" is accurate in the sense that it was a death camp located in Poland.

blaise
05-30-2012, 07:55 AM
No, he doesn't care, because he has more important things to care about. You don't have more important things to care about, so this is big news to you, and it being on Yahoo, next to a story about how to prevent hair loss and Jessica Simpson's baby pictures, justifies for you your concern. But the President of the Untied States does have more important things to think about.

John Knowles is dead. Your personality has killed him.

I care about the same amount as you I'd say. But I bet Obama cares a bit more than either of us.

Saul Good
05-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Bookmark this page; save for when a Republican is president. Kindly bring it to my attention that I'm a hypocrite. I look forward to it. Or better yet, search through my posts for when I've scolded a Republican politician for an honest mistake in a speech. Search all day. You won't find shit.

It's not like calling Jamestown a Native American settlement, which is just completely inaccurate. At least "Polish death camp" is accurate in the sense that it was a death camp located in Poland.

And Jamestown was a settlement that was founded in what is now America.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 07:57 AM
I care about the same amount as you I'd say. But I bet Obama cares a bit more than either of us.

If that helps you feel better, you can certainly believe that. There's really no way of knowing. I think you're wrong, but I can't read his mind, either.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:00 AM
And Jamestown was a settlement that was founded in what is now America.

That doesn't mean it's Native American. It's not in any sense Native American, whereas Aushwitz is in some sense a Polish death camp. Try to come up with a better analogy if you need to. Maybe something like, "The Alamo is a U.S. fort" and then watch a lot of people in Texas get pissed off because when it was a fort, it was a Texas fort.

blaise
05-30-2012, 08:03 AM
If that helps you feel better, you can certainly believe that. There's really no way of knowing. I think you're wrong, but I can't read his mind, either.

If you were Obama and you think it would be a waste of time to say to your guys, "Let's try and take steps to make sure this type of things don't happen again. Maybe get someone familiar with the other country to proof-read it first," I think that would be unwise.
When businessmen do deals with people from other countries they often get lists of terms and phrases to avoid. I'm not sure why you think it's unreasonable for Obama to expect that of his staff. The OP says that Poles have been trying to get people from other countries to stop using the phrase, so I don't think it's that unreasonable to know beforehand.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:07 AM
If you were Obama and you think it would be a waste of time to say to your guys, "Let's try and take steps to make sure this type of things don't happen again. Maybe get someone familiar with the other country to proof-read it first," I think that would be unwise.
When businessmen do deals with people from other countries they often get lists of terms and phrases to avoid. I'm not sure why you think it's unreasonable for Obama to expect that of his staff. The OP says that Poles have been trying to get people from other countries to stop using the phrase, so I don't think it's that unreasonable to know beforehand.

No, there's more important things to care about. Mistakes happen, and they always will. Say it was an honest mistake. Move along.

RNR
05-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Twice? Wait, same speech, or two different speeches? If it's the same speech then he obviously just doesn't know how to pronounce the word. If two different speeches then, again, he doesn't know how to pronounce it but that's also a major fail on his staff's part to not correct him.

I'm trying to figure out why you guys think corpsman is such a common word that any bright guy should be able to pronounce it. It ONLY comes up in a military setting and it's never used in every day life outside of the military. I watched a zillion hours of MASH as a kid, etc. and I'm an amateur military historian, so sure, I know how to pronounce it, but I'm thinking if I showed the word to my wife, she'd butcher it also because she has zero interest in all things military.

I understand your point. However I do expect the commander and chief to know how to pronounce it~

HonestChieffan
05-30-2012, 08:09 AM
As usual the defenders of Obama find every way possible to avoid the fact that Obama made a serious error that has clearly offended the Polish people and Polish leadership who are and who need to be a staunch ally. Its inappropriate to diminish the feelings the Polish PM has stated.

Just because you may think its trivial does not in any way reduce the feelings of the person offended. Obama did not intend it but he also was either uninformed or is just pretty ignorant of history and the impact of such a misstep.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
I understand your point. However I do expect the commander and chief to know how to pronounce it~

I expect American citizens to know that the President is not the "commander and chief," but the Commander-in-Chief.

Alas, our expectations often meet cruel deaths.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Just because you may think its trivial does not in any way reduce the feelings of the person offended.

So? Should the United States embrace every single over-sensitive soul that we may encounter? Hell no. You live and learn. You move on. I understand that you hate Obama, and so when Obama does something that offends someone, you have an ally. That's the way you operate. Your principle is only, "What's best for my position?" I'm not sure that's a great way to go through life.

headsnap
05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
I expect American citizens to know that the President is not the "commander and chief," but the Commander-in-Chief.

Alas, our expectations often meet cruel deaths.

You should hold our President to the same standards that you hold RedNeckRaider to.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:18 AM
You should hold our President to the same standards that you hold RedNeckRaider to.

I also expect Obama to know that he's not the "commander and chief" but the "commander-in-chief." And before this thread, I would not expect RNR to know that the term "Polish death camp" is offensive. I wouldn't have expected anyone to think that. I'd never thought it was offensive. It wasn't until this big media story that I learned it was offensive.

Now, because of this, I will hold everyone in this thread, and Obama, to the standard of knowing that "Polish death camp" is an offensive term.

RNR
05-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I also expect Obama to know that he's not the "commander and chief" but the "commander-in-chief." And before this thread, I would not expect RNR to know that the term "Polish death camp" is offensive. I wouldn't have expected anyone to think that. I'd never thought it was offensive. It wasn't until this big media story that I learned it was offensive.

Now, because of this, I will hold everyone in this thread, and Obama, to the standard of knowing that "Polish death camp" is an offensive term.

I have no idea what his intentions were. Calling it "Polish" instead of "Nazi" could be offensive to someone. I would think he would simply apologize and move on~

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I have no idea what his intentions were.

Take a reasonable guess at what his intentions were. Do you think they were A) to imply that Poland deserves partial blame for the Holocaust or B) to indicate that the death camp the resistance fighter was smuggled into was located in Poland?

RNR
05-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Take a reasonable guess at what his intentions were. Do you think they were A) to imply that Poland deserves partial blame for the Holocaust or B) to indicate that the death camp the resistance fighter was smuggled into was located in Poland?

I am still trying to understand his intentions for awarding the medal to Dolores Huerta~

HonestChieffan
05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
http://weaselzippers.us/2012/05/30/polands-pm-unloads-on-obama-over-polish-death-camps-gaffe-accuses-him-of-ignorance-and-lack-of-knowledge/

To bad Jenson can't tell the PM what he should feel.

HonestChieffan
05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I am still trying to understand his intentions for awarding the medal to Dolores Huerta~

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/obama-wink-550x411.jpg

blaise
05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
http://weaselzippers.us/2012/05/30/polands-pm-unloads-on-obama-over-polish-death-camps-gaffe-accuses-him-of-ignorance-and-lack-of-knowledge/

He's uneducated, obviously.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Too bad Poland can't tell the White House how to act.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:43 AM
He's uneducated, obviously.

Was the PM going to vote for Obama, but now will vote for an Obama opponent or not vote at all?

Your answer to that is your first step towards enlightenment.

Amnorix
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Would you care if a businessman who became POTUS and had never seen the word couldn't properly pronounce subpoena?

But he's the head of the Justice Department!

What if he couldn't pronounce mitochondrial myopathy or lymphangioleiomyomatosis?

But he's the head of the National Institute of Health!

Seriously, it's just non-existent issue. This Polish death camp thing -- that's a 0.5 maybe. The "corpsman" thing is a zero.

Unless it became one of many examples. Then it gets to be an issue.

headsnap
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Was the PM going to vote for Obama, but now will vote for an Obama opponent or not vote at all?

it took you a while but now it appears that you finally get it... ROFL

blaise
05-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Post 8 precedes post 11.

Cave Johnson
05-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Words can't describe how much of a nothing story this is. You people should get hobbies. Or go walk your cat.

La literatura
it took you a while but now it appears that you finally get it... ROFL

I admit, I tend to think American-centric.

RNR
Would you care if a businessman who became POTUS and had never seen the word couldn't properly pronounce subpoena?

What if he couldn't pronounce mitochondrial myopathy or lymphangioleiomyomatosis?

Seriously, it's just non-existent issue. This Polish death camp thing -- that's a 0.5 maybe. The "corpsman" thing is a zero.

I agree both are over hyped, although a simply sorry makes this last one go away~

La literatura
05-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Post 8 precedes post 11.

Go on. Post 8 does not indicate that Polish-Americans are dumb.

Donger
05-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Meh. A pretty stupid faux pas, especially considering what Obama was trying to accomplish.

Iowanian
05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
The words are pretty easily interchanged.

Here is a photo of ibama eating one of his favorite Nazi Sausages.
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQli_6oUCT5tsnBSkqhcWWWjXSQb6v4_JZMr89aQhAr4JvITRO6

Saul Good
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM

How many of your examples are husbands, fathers, sons, and brothers that he is sending overseas to risk their lives for the interests of our country?

vailpass
05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Can't we all just agree that obama is an abysmal failure as POTUS? That he is an embarrassment and in no way, shape or form represents us as individuals, families, or as a nation both presently and as we want our country to be going forward?

Brock
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Can't we all just agree that obama is an abysmal failure as POTUS? That he is an embarrassment and in no way, shape or form represents us as individuals, families, or as a nation both presently and as we want our country to be going forward?

You say that, and yet he's probably going to win, or at least narrowly lose. So clearly, we can't all agree on that.

vailpass
05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
You say that, and yet he's probably going to win, or at least narrowly lose. So clearly, we can't all agree on that.

Of course you are correct.
On the one hand it baffles me how any could vote for that. But then I go downtown sometimes and see what we're up against.

Do you feel obama represents you and America as you want to be represented?

fan4ever
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
What's interesting to me is that over the years Bush was in office and would screw up, I'd admit it to my liberal friends when called on it...and there were plenty of occassions. I hated to watch him speak knowing something was likely coming down the pike that might make him look bad.

Also, when Chris Christie, one of my favorite politicians at the moment, took the flag to half mast over Whitney Houston's death, I thought that was stupid.

Having said these things, I'm AMAZED at the extent and the level that so many liberals here and in my personal life will not concede even a minor mistake by this president. Do they think if they do, the earth will open up and swallow them? Seriously, how hard is it to say "Yeah, that was kinda dumb"?

Extremely hard it seems. They'd rather spend the afternoon defending the absurd.

Aries Walker
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't mind saying it. It was kinda dumb.

La literatura
05-30-2012, 02:03 PM
What's interesting to me is that over the years Bush was in office and would screw up, I'd admit it to my liberal friends when called on it...and there were plenty of occassions. I hated to watch him speak knowing something was likely coming down the pike that might make him look bad.

Also, when Chris Christie, one of my favorite politicians at the moment, took the flag to half mast over Whitney Houston's death, I thought that was stupid.

Having said these things, I'm AMAZED at the extent and the level that so many liberals here and in my personal life will not concede even a minor mistake by this president. Do they think if they do, the earth will open up and swallow them? Seriously, how hard is it to say "Yeah, that was kinda dumb"?

Extremely hard it seems. They'd rather spend the afternoon defending the absurd.

I'll concede a lot of dumb things the President did. The 57 states, the corpsman issue, what else you got? Thing is, a lot of opponents will spend an afternoon talking about how this demonstrates Obama is the most offensive, ignorant, racist, Nazi that ever became president. They'll start a thread about the issue.

This one is dumb? It's technically ignorant, but not unreasonably so. Not this one.

dirk digler
05-30-2012, 02:29 PM

I agree with your post but I would add I don't see it as a liberal thing it happens on both sides. I have seen with my own eyes here when Bush did something bad or stupid the people on the right would defend it to the death.

Also Obama apologized this morning so everyone should be happy and just move on.

It is not like he misspelled America or anything :D

fan4ever
05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I agree with your post but I would add I don't see it as a liberal thing it happens on both sides.

I can certainly agree with that but I've never seen the wagons drawn around a President like this one...it's incredible.

Amnorix
05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I can certainly agree with that but I've never seen the wagons drawn around a President like this one...it's incredible.

ROFL

You clearly weren't around much from '00 to '08.

HonestChieffan
05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Arrogant POS can't say he is sorry? For God's sake he drug his ass all over the globe to kiss ass and apologize for every other damn thing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/polish-president-writes-obama-death-camp-gaffe/story?id=16462942#.T8a9VsWwWXI

(ABC News) — Poland’s President Bronislaw Komorowski said Wednesday he had written a personal letter to President Barack Obama urging him to do more to correct the record after Obama referred to “a Polish death camp” in a White House ceremony on Tuesday.

“I hope we will jointly act to make up for this unfortunate mistake. I believe that every error, every mistake can be corrected if it is given adequate consideration,” Komorowski said in remarks posted on his official website.

Komorowski stopped well short of explicitly demanding an apology from Obama, who used the phrase Tuesday as he honored World War II Polish resistance hero Jan Karski with a posthumous Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian American honor. Poland’s foreign minister had demanded a full apology late Tuesday. But Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk made no reference to an apology on Wednesday even as he blasted Obama’s remark.

The phrase shocked Polish leaders and echoed across media in Poland, where the remark was seen as suggesting that Poles — not Nazis — carried out the genocidal policies of Adolf Hitler. Obama’s past comments all-but-certainly refute that interpretation, and the White House has said he merely “misspoke.”. . .

Asked whether Obama had plans to reach out to Polish leaders, Carney demurred. The Polish president cast the issue in terms of improving relations with the United States.

“Every recognized and reconsidered mistake can bring us closer together,” he said, “to prevent recurrence of painful phrases that are divorced from the truth but which influence opinions about Poland’s history and present day.”

“We in Poland know well that the phrase ‘Polish death camps’ is not only painful and unfair but simply untrue,” Komorowski said.

From the White House...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/obama-nazi-death-camp-gaffe-hurt-poles-pm-110505006.html

(AFP) — The White House on Wednesday shrugged off Polish demands to express more than mere ‘regret’ after President Barack Obama mistakenly referred to a Nazi Holocaust site as a “Polish death camp.”

“We regret the misstatement, but that is what it was,” said Obama spokesman Jay Carney, reiterating that the president “misspoke” during a ceremony awarding the highest US civilian honor to late Holocaust hero Jan Karski.

“He was referring to Nazi death camps in German-occupied Poland.”

Poland had earlier insisted that Washington must do more than simply express the “regret” offered by another White House spokesman late on Tuesday, hours after Obama’s use of words deemed offensive by Warsaw.

Obama’s verbal slip overshadowed his posthumous award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Karski, a Polish underground officer who provided the Allies with early eyewitness accounts of Nazi genocide against European Jews.

Poland’s Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Obama’s words had hurt all Poles and he expected more from Washington than just regret.

“I am convinced that our American friends can today allow themselves a stronger reaction than a simple expression of regret from the White House spokesman — a reaction more inclined to eliminate once and for all these kinds of errors,” Tusk told reporters in Warsaw.

“Today, this is a problem for the reputation of the United States,” the prime minister said.

Members of Poland’s Jewish community — including the country’s Chief Rabbi Michael Schudrich — said in a statement that: “We expect President Barack Obama to personally correct his words.”

headsnap
05-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Jens thinks Polish people are uneducated(stupid.)

fan4ever
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
ROFL

You clearly weren't around much from '00 to '08.

You have to be in la-la land to believe Bush got the kind of "free pass" Obama gets, especially from the media.

dirk digler
05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
You have to be in la-la land to believe Bush got the kind of "free pass" Obama gets, especially from the media.

I think he is referring to my post where I said here as in CP.

Aries Walker
05-30-2012, 10:08 PM
This does happen to both sides. Case in point: Remember when Sarah Palin said that Paul Revere rode noisily through town, "ringing them bells"? Historians rolled their eyes and tried to tell people that it simply go down like that, but few listened. It was a media item for about a day. Pro-Sarahs defended her to the death, refusing to admit it was an honest but crucial and stupid mistake; Anti-Sarahs used it as one more proof that she was indeed a rampaging idiot.

Change the names, replace "historians" with "Polish Jews", and "rang the bells" to "had death camps", and it's the same old song. The last thing a candidate politician wants to do is to be seen on the morning news, admitting they were an idiot and apologizing for it. Until it becomes so big they can't help it, they'll just wait for something else to take its place in our collective consciousness. It shouldn't be long.

Politics 101.

fan4ever
05-30-2012, 10:17 PM
This does happen to both sides. Case in point: Remember when Sarah Palin said that Paul Revere rode noisily through town, "ringing them bells"? Historians rolled their eyes and tried to tell people that it simply go down like that, but few listened. It was a media item for about a day. Pro-Sarahs defended her to the death, refusing to admit it was an honest but crucial and stupid mistake; Anti-Sarahs used it as one more proof that she was indeed a rampaging idiot.

Change the names, replace "historians" with "Polish Jews", and "rang the bells" to "had death camps", and it's the same old song. The last thing a candidate politician wants to do is to be seen on the morning news, admitting they were an idiot and apologizing for it. Until it becomes so big they can't help it, they'll just wait for something else to take its place in our collective consciousness. It shouldn't be long.

Politics 101.

I don't remember ANY stupid remark Sarah Palin ever said having ONLY a shelf life for "about a day"...try "a month".

I'm not saying they're aren't defenders willing and ready on both sides, I'm saying Obama's minions are just more rabid about their denial than I've ever witnessed and that includes Clinton/Bush or anyone other modern day president. It would be another thing if he were having great success, but look around.

fan4ever
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
I think he is referring to my post where I said here as in CP.

Well I guess it's all about perspective.

AustinChief
05-31-2012, 12:57 AM
But if everyone who doesn't know how to prounounce it is a fucking moron than I have bad news for you regarding how many people are probably going to be fucking morons if you had Rain Man put together a proper poll.

I have no delusions about the intelligence of people (regardless of politics).. but I also refuse to make excuses for it. If you are a native speaker of the language, you should know how to pronounce anything other then the most obscure technical terms. (barring a learning disability or growing up in a cave)

Ignorance is only excusable given limiting circumstances that don't apply to someone who has had as much formal education and access to knowledge as he has had.

And no it doesn't mean a damn thing about his ability to govern. Just don't try to tell me it doesn't make him look like a fucking moron.

(I also think Palin and Bachman are morons if that helps... Bush as well may be a moron, it's hard to tell given that he simply doesn't CARE.. he'd much rather be watching a ballgame and doing blow)

J Diddy
05-31-2012, 05:19 AM
How many of your examples are husbands, fathers, sons, and brothers that he is sending overseas to risk their lives for the interests of our country?

Seriously? Little dramatic don't you think?

Pawnmower
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
He used the wrong term...BFD...

It is an ambiguity that Polish people do take offense do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Polish_death_camp%22_controversy

Just say 'oops' and move on....nothing to see here....It isnt like he intnded any harm, it was just a boner.

stevieray
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
he's disconnected....still isn't an excuse.

RNR
05-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Seriously? Little dramatic don't you think?

This is being over hyped IMO, he acknowledged the mistake. To the question of Saul Good being over dramatic. I do not believe so. The authority to send people to war is much different than the responsibilities of the examples given in the post he was responding to~

Iz Zat Chew
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Meh. A pretty stupid faux pas, especially considering what Obama was trying to accomplish.

Key word here. Stupid. Defines Obama since day one.

J Diddy
05-31-2012, 03:00 PM
This is being over hyped IMO, he acknowledged the mistake. To the question of Saul Good being over dramatic. I do not believe so. The authority to send people to war is much different than the responsibilities of the examples given in the post he was responding to~

Please tell me how exactly mispronouncing a word equates to sending people to war.

thecoffeeguy
05-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Thats the stupidest fucking thing I have ever read.

banyon
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM

Bush made them like daily. So often in fact, that I think they sell 2 calendars with 730 days (365x2) worth of quotes. So often that they really started not being news at some point.

I agree with Amnorix that this was a flub, albeit a minor one. "located in poland" is another meaning of Polish, but given the circumstances, it was not a good time to use that variation.

La literatura
05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Thats the stupidest ****ing thing I have ever read.

Your response is the second stupidest fucking thing I have ever read. This post here is the stupidest thing, because it quotes yours.

Iz Zat Chew
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Thats the stupidest ****ing thing I have ever read.

I would have to agree.

thecoffeeguy
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Your response is the second stupidest ****ing thing I have ever read. This post here is the stupidest thing, because it quotes yours.

:facepalm:

La literatura
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM
:facepalm:

Your face needs a palm to hide behind. BOOYAH

thecoffeeguy
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Your face needs a palm to hide behind. BOOYAH

Im laughing, because, your not funny at all.

La literatura
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM

So's your mom.

banyon
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM

:huh:

Pawnmower
05-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Big shocker....Literature the law school "ace" fails at basic comprehension once again.....

I bet people laugh at him while he is trying to be serious on a regular basis.

Dylan
06-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Obama ignorance caused an international scandal. Imagine a fictional situation where the Third Reich had invaded the United States and established death camps in our country. Would you call them "American death camps" or "Nazi death camps?"

Either way, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union occupied Poland during WWII(1939-1945).

All over the world, Auschwitz has become a symbol of the Holocaust - a Nazi death camp in German-occupied Poland. "600,000 Germans from Eastern Europe and 400,000 from the Third Reich were settled there" until the Soviet Army liberated Auschwitz in 1945.

Oh well, off to another game of golf and fundraising.

The Telegraph
Weasel words from the White House will do little however to calm Polish anger. After all, these were carefully scripted remarks by the president reading off a teleprompter. Six millions Poles died at the hands of Nazi Germany during World War Two, including three million Polish Jews during the Holocaust. The president’s use of the term “Polish death camp” is hugely insulting to the Polish people, and will reinforce the growing image across Eastern and Central Europe of an American presidency that cares little for key US allies, especially against the backdrop of its controversial and weak-kneed “reset” policy towards Russia. For a US administration that likes to boast of “smart power,” this was an act of staggering historical ignorance as well as crass insensitivity.
Gazeta (Polish newspaper)
Mr. Prompter
Poland’s outspoken foreign minister, Radek Sikorski: “It’s a shame that such a momentous ceremony has been overshadowed by ignorance and incompetence.”

More restrained, Polish Prime Minister Doanld Tusk, said: “We cannot accept such words...as if there was no German responsibility, no Hitler.”

Dylan
06-03-2012, 02:18 AM
My favorite from Danish Broadcasting Corporation in Denmark: PRICELESS!

OBAMA: All countries are close allies!!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/erYpXzE9Pxs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/erYpXzE9Pxs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

LMAO