PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Madden 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sorter
05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Due to the Madden 12 thread, I'd thought i'd post what the news is about this years edition.

-There will be no more picks from defenders looking over the shoulder or having the ball come over head. Defense must face the ball.
- Super jump abilities for LBs/DBs has been taken away
-Receiver icons will light up for pass plays when they would expect the ball on certain routes. Doesn't mean they're open, but when they would expect the ball coming out of breaks.
-There are new accuracy tweaks. They want you to throw into windows instead of waiting for the receiver gets open (almost impossible on 12)
- New throwing motions, and specific drop backs for all qbs (3,5,7 step drops)
-QBs do PA faster so you don't get raped by defenses constantly.

All I've heard so far really, but it seems that this game should play better. However, that is what is said every year. Until Madden gets a true competitor imo (2ksports) they will continue to put out a shitty product.

Pestilence
05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm not buying until they fix the franchise mode.

thurman merman
05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
-QBs do PA faster so you don't get raped by defenses constantly.

Finally! It has been nearly impossible to use PA on this game for years.

Sorter
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM

supposedly, they are changing the potential so that it reflects how the players perform in franchise mode. I agree though, it has been dismal at best.

Kyle DeLexus
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM

The sad thing is the Franchise mode tweaks are what made me buy it on release last year. Then franchise mode sucked an egg. Most of their tweaks were cosmetic at best and didn't fix the core problems. I couldn't trade up to #1 or #2 from #4 for three firsts, then another team trades to #1 from the #10 range for two firsts and a fourth.

The roster expansion was great on paper, but it didn't matter how well your players performed in the preseason they had set ratings they would end up in the end. The scouting was just as bad as ever. FA bidding was a decent feature, but they should let you pick the players you are interested in before bidding starts so they aren't lost in a giant shit storm. There were plenty of other problems and I could have lived with them if they hadn't made all the claims about the improved franchise mode.

On the subject of 2013, I'm undecided. On one hand if they actually make the changes they have claimed, it will be the best football game of all time. On the other, they usually fuck up when they claim they fixed something (see franchise mode stuff above).

I'll probably buy it.

Detoxing
05-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Same shit different day.

SnakeXJones
05-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Madden 12 was just a giant POS

Pestilence
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
The sad thing is the Franchise mode tweaks are what made me buy it on release last year. Then franchise mode sucked an egg. Most of their tweaks were cosmetic at best and didn't fix the core problems. I couldn't trade up to #1 or #2 from #4 for three firsts, then another team trades to #1 from the #10 range for two firsts and a fourth.

The roster expansion was great on paper, but it didn't matter how well your players performed in the preseason they had set ratings they would end up in the end. The scouting was just as bad as ever. FA bidding was a decent feature, but they should let you pick the players you are interested in before bidding starts so they aren't lost in a giant shit storm. There were plenty of other problems and I could have lived with them if they hadn't made all the claims about the improved franchise mode.

On the subject of 2013, I'm undecided. On one hand if they actually make the changes they have claimed, it will be the best football game of all time. On the other, they usually fuck up when they claim they fixed something (see franchise mode stuff above).

I'll probably buy it.

I won't buy it until they fix the issue of the other 31 teams in Franchise mode being fucking stupid as shit. It's the same old bullshit. Team A has a 98 overall RB....and goes out and drafts one in the 1st round of the draft. And then goes and signs the top RB in FA. Fucking stupid.

Three years into a franchise and 75% of the teams are fucked for cap room and huge name players are getting released because they can't afford them.

I shouldn't have to control 32 fucking teams and make the decisions for them.

Von Dumbass
05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
I miss the training camp feature the most. Madden always had a ratings cap on players but when they had training camp it didn't matter what the cap was because you could level them up in training camp.

Fruit Ninja
05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah I paass on madden until another company is able to make a game. If they don't then I don't at like ive been doing since 2005. I do miss playing though.

Kyle DeLexus
05-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I miss the training camp feature the most. Madden always had a ratings cap on players but when they had training camp it didn't matter what the cap was because you could level them up in training camp.

I did like the training camp feature.

Von Dumbass
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I did like the training camp feature.

It made you get really good at user catching/tackling too.

Bump
05-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Madden has been shit since 2006.

It's simple economics.

No competition is bad for consumer. Plain and simple.

scott free
05-31-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm wanting to play again, i'll get it.

The Chiefs are going to kill some fools this year.

Sorter
05-31-2012, 01:27 AM

The top teams, IMO are going to be NE, 49ers, Eagles, Giants, Texans, Chiefs, Seattle, Carolina, GB, Detroit, and Dallas.

NE and San Fran are by far the two best. They're going to destroy with their lineups for Madden

Micjones
05-31-2012, 06:59 AM
I've heard that they tweaked the sounds of the crowd by using 5 times as many mics to gather crowd noise.

I also heard that they worked with NFL Films to infuse realistic tackle/blocking sounds.

Pestilence
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I've heard that they tweaked the sounds of the crowd by using 5 times as many mics to gather crowd noise.

I also heard that they worked with NFL Films to infuse realistic tackle/blocking sounds.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic....but if you aren't......this is the exact reason why I DON'T buy this fucking game anymore. The gameplay remains broken as fuck and they're putting time and money into making sure the game sounds right. Stupid.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-31-2012, 10:08 AM

I wish we'd kills some teams in real life.

scott free
05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
The top teams, IMO are going to be NE, 49ers, Eagles, Giants, Texans, Chiefs, Seattle, Carolina, GB, Detroit, and Dallas.

NE and San Fran are by far the two best. They're going to destroy with their lineups for Madden

Yeah, i'm kinda looking forward to it this year, it sounds like they're atleast trying to get back to realism in gameplay & it'll also be nice to have a total defense & offensive line that isnt a bunch of 76's.

Thig Lyfe
05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

FUck man, I'm actually getting sad thinking about when they took training camp out. That shit was BALLER. It was a great way to focus on improving players, especially your top draft picks, without creating superhuman rating inflation.

RIP TC

Micjones
05-31-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic....but if you aren't......this is the exact reason why I DON'T buy this ****ing game anymore. The gameplay remains broken as **** and they're putting time and money into making sure the game sounds right. Stupid.

There were several major gameplay modifications.

What part of the gameplay do you take exception to?

scott free
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Not to answer for pest, but one thing i hated was taking away the speed burst, let me decide when to turn on the jets, like real players do.

Von Dumbass
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Not to answer for pest, but one thing i hated was taking away the speed burst, let me decide when to turn on the jets, like real players do.

You can disable that in the game settings. Same thing for auto-strafe.

scott free
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
You can disable that in the game settings. Same thing for auto-strafe.

Ahhh, i see said the blind man.

Micjones
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM

That can be changed though, no?

I like that they addressed LB's jumping out of the stadium to deflect and pick passes off. That was annoying as shit.

lcarus
05-31-2012, 12:37 PM
That can be changed though, no?

I like that they addressed LB's jumping out of the stadium to deflect and pick passes off. That was annoying as shit.

That was the worst part of the game. I throw a pass 30 yards downfield, a LB 15 yards downfield shouldn't be able to intercept it or deflect it.

Kyle DeLexus
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
That was the worst part of the game. I throw a pass 30 yards downfield, a LB 15 yards downfield shouldn't be able to intercept it or deflect it.

This along with the defender having his back to you and still knowing exactly where the ball is at all times.

If they really fixed those two and made it where you can lead a receiver in their actual route it'll be worth buying. Also, if they fix playaction that'd be neat too.

Detoxing
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Im curious to know how the sales figures have changed through the years for Madden.

Micjones
06-01-2012, 07:39 AM

That was "Madden"-ing (pun intended), but it also made timing a key factor in completing a pass. So to some degree, it was a necessary evil.

Micjones
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
This along with the defender having his back to you and still knowing exactly where the ball is at all times.

If they really fixed those two and made it where you can lead a receiver in their actual route it'll be worth buying. Also, if they fix playaction that'd be neat too.

Supposedly the time it takes to complete the PA fake has been shortened up.

AndChiefs
06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Supposedly the time it takes to complete the PA fake has been shortened up.

That's good because calling a PA was essentially begging to be sacked.

lcarus
06-01-2012, 08:16 AM

What you mean when you get nailed before the play action animation even finishes like 80% of the time? Nah....they should leave that in. It's totally "in the game". :rolleyes:

Kyle DeLexus
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM

They sure took it from one extreme to the other. Back in the day I could run PA all day and the defenders would all get sucked in. Now you could run all day and then run a PA pass once and it's an instant sack.

They did the same thing with screens. Just a couple years ago you could pop off a screen for 15+ anytime, in 2012 I was lucky if my RB caught the ball.

Aspengc8
06-01-2012, 09:27 AM

-Defensive line & linebackers don't bite on the play-action. Ever. The only reason to run it was to fool someone that 'user' controller a LB or Safety.

-Defensive line never draws a double team. Dominant D-Tackles and Noses dominated lineman in 2 seconds.

-Too easy to manipulate broken blocking by stacking D-line/linebackers in certain alignments, causing guys to come in unblocked.

-O-line blocking in general. Often lineman/FB would go downfield, ignoring someone that is a much closer threat to the RB.

I could go on and on, including the BS playbooks consisting of 300+ plays of complete crap with very few real passing concepts. They somewhat got it right with some (smash, curl/flat, hi/low) but these passing concepts are done out of EVERY formation. They are BASE concepts. The same with running plays. Ever undercenter formation should have a inside zone, outside zone, toss & counter. Its basic and I should have to go searching through formations to find a god dam ISO play.

One day they will hire someone at EA that actually played at a higher level than high school to help them design a football game.

Sorter
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM

The part that really irritates me is the O-Line blocking animations and how it is impossible to get pressure from your DE's. I can only get sacks with Tamba by using firezones online, and never get more than 5-6 sacks a season during franchise mode. It sucks.

Von Dumbass
06-01-2012, 10:44 AM
The part that really irritates me is the O-Line blocking animations and how it is impossible to get pressure from your DE's. I can only get sacks with Tamba by using firezones online, and never get more than 5-6 sacks a season during franchise mode. It sucks.

That's because Tamba is slow. Speed is all that matters in Madden.

Sorter
06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
That's because Tamba is slow. Speed is all that matters in Madden.

:clap:

Kyle DeLexus
06-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Really? I owned with Tyson Jackson which is sad since he shouldn't be able to rush the passer.

Thig Lyfe
06-01-2012, 06:57 PM
That was "Madden"-ing (pun intended)

It would be weird if you put "Madden" in quotes and spelled it with a hyphen and didn't intend the pun.

thurman merman
06-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Really? I owned with Tyson Jackson which is sad since he shouldn't be able to rush the passer.

In a typical Madden season, Tyson Jackson gets 15-20 sacks and Tamba Hali gets 0-5 sacks.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Had a few decent seasons in 12 after a slider over haul, but damn franchise mode is shit.

Sorter
06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Had a few decent seasons in 12 after a slider over haul, but damn franchise mode is shit.

That is by far the most irritating thing about this game; how I have to spend time on fucking sliders to make it play at a nice level.

whoman69
06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I always found that the biggest problem with Madden was that the person who played the game the best won. I've heard from more than one person the guy that won their Madden league took one of the worst teams and still won. As a test of strategy or franchise building, its a complete failure.

Valiant
06-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I always found that the biggest problem with Madden was that the person who played the game the best won. I've heard from more than one person the guy that won their Madden league took one of the worst teams and still won. As a test of strategy or franchise building, its a complete failure.

Generally the best person does win in all sports games..

Bump
06-03-2012, 01:40 AM

ya because Madden is complete garbage

Bump
06-03-2012, 01:41 AM

:spock:

KC Tattoo
06-03-2012, 02:18 AM
They sure took it from one extreme to the other. Back in the day I could run PA all day and the defenders would all get sucked in. Now you could run all day and then run a PA pass once and it's an instant sack.

They did the same thing with screens. Just a couple years ago you could pop off a screen for 15+ anytime, in 2012 I was lucky if my RB caught the ball.

Tecmo bowl, Steve Deberg playaction fake with Christian Okoye Pass to Stephone Paige FTW!

Fruit Ninja
06-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Generally the best person does win in all sports games..

Leagues can be regulated. Online is is usually about who can exploit the most. But u do find some Good legit players online. At least I did back in the 2k football days. Met and played some damned good pllayers.

-King-
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM

I uhhh... What?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kyle DeLexus
06-03-2012, 03:18 PM

So in your line of thinking the person who plays with the highest rated team should win? That would be horrible.

Bump
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I uhhh... What?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that he's saying that if someone who never played the game before, picked up the controller and played as the Patriots, Packers or Giants should beat the best madden player in the world if that player chose an inferior team to play as, such as the raiders or redskins. That's some prize winning logic right there.

Lzen
06-03-2012, 09:20 PM

That is part of it. But also it's the fact that there is not enough arch on the ball. Those are a couple of gameplay things that they need to improve.

This is one thing that REALLY pisses me off about Madden. I can't tell you how many times I'll run a play action (yes, a PA....it does work if you know when to use it) with the TE doing a flag route and the WR doing a streak and the DB with the WR turns around at exactly the same time I throw to the WIDE OPEN TE and picks it. How the fuck does the CB know to leave the WR he's covering if he is looking the opposite fucking direction? That same shit happens sometimes on NCAA, btw.

Lzen
06-03-2012, 09:25 PM

If the defense is running a jailbreak blitz, you need to change the play.

Lzen
06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
The main things I hate about franchise mode (besides what I already commented on) are that there are some random games every season where your defense just can't tackle for shit. The CPU will have a guy that breaks 3, 4, 5 tackles and goes for a big gain. WTF, Madden?

Also, my QB can be an outstanding passer but it seems that there are a few passes every game where he is not under pressure and just completely misses a wide open receiver.

Dayze
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
off topic...but I wonder how NCAA 13 will be.
I"ll wait for that thread.

Pestilence
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
off topic...but I wonder how NCAA 13 will be.
I"ll wait for that thread.

I got an e-mail yesterday saying that the demo was out. I might go download it tonight and play it through. NCAA is always a game that I buy....they haven't totally fucked that one up yet.

Sorter
06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
If the defense is running a jailbreak blitz, you need to change the play.

It doesn't apply to just jailbreaks. PA sucks in general on Madden. Its asking to get sacked.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-07-2012, 02:28 PM
I usually went to a max protect if I did try PA. That helped a bit. It is completely broke though.

-King-
06-08-2012, 12:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dQ9Kpmd60qQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pestilence
06-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I got an e-mail yesterday saying that the demo was out. I might go download it tonight and play it through. NCAA is always a game that I buy....they haven't totally fucked that one up yet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Gp7BjL2Gjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whoman69
06-08-2012, 02:15 PM
So in your line of thinking the person who plays with the highest rated team should win? That would be horrible.

No, the person who calls the best plays and has built a good team should win. You should not be able to take the Vikings from last year and win the league. You shouldn't win games because you know how to force fumbles on every tackle or get a sack/INT on every pass.

-King-
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
No, the person who calls the best plays and has built a good team should win. You should not be able to take the Vikings from last year and win the league. You shouldn't win games because you know how to force fumbles on every tackle or get a sack/INT on every pass.

So being a skilled player is a bad thing? Being so skilled that you make shitty teams look good is a bad thing now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi
06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Gp7BjL2Gjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's all that whooshy stuff?

Thig Lyfe
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
So being a skilled player is a bad thing? Being so skilled that you make shitty teams look good is a bad thing now?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think he may be describing people who game the game. Which isn't really the same as winning with a low-rated team.

beach tribe
06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Tecmo bowl, Steve Deberg playaction fake with Christian Okoye Pass to J.J. Birden FTW!

Fyp

Bump
06-09-2012, 12:39 AM
God, NCAA 2013 looks terrible. The big new feature (instead of working on in game problems that have existed for a decade) is getting to play with RG3 ON A DIFFERENT TEAM! YAY!! HIGH FIVE!!

GAY

|Zach|
06-09-2012, 01:01 AM
These games are fun as hell.

It is always funny to watch unhappy gamers bitch...as if there is anything they could possibly do to keep all those people from ranting about the game. Haha.

RINGLEADER
06-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Here is my 2012 Chiefsplanet Avatar courtesy of Madden 2013...

Jerm
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
First year I'm passing on NCAA and strictly getting Madden...I've had my problems with Madden in the past but it looks incredible this year.

Physics and Connected Career are going to be awesome, this new dev. team gets it.

Doesn't really matter right now as The Show and Max Payne 3 are owning my soul.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2012, 12:28 PM
The Show

Hell, I have a Royals chise from last year's game still rolling along splendidly. Awesome game, but too much babysitting needed for CPU in franchise, so 30 team control is a must.

whoman69
06-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

In short, yes.

Jerm
06-09-2012, 12:30 PM
The Show

Hell, I have a Royals chise from last year's game still rolling along splendidly. Awesome game, but too much babysitting needed for CPU in franchise, so 30 team control is a must.

True...after a couple of season in my RTTS, the Yanks rotation included Yu Darvish, Tim Lincecum, AND Clayton Kershaw...ridiculous. Also, Hosmer was in Philly, and Boston had Strasburg and Duffy.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Yanks and Sox always get top of the line players for C prospects and garbage. I just reverse the trade and shake my head.

Dayze
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
anyone hear any other news about Madden '13? see any other reviews etc?

Bump
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
so is this really the year that Madden fixes their in game problems and franchise? I've heard it every year the past several years. In fact, 2012 is the only Madden in existence that I did not purchase at all after 5 years in a row of saying that I would never buy another madden, but I'm stubborn and love football.

Fuck, I have a feeling the hype with the new devs, gameplay improvements and fixes is gonna get me to buy it. I just hope I'm not gonna be disappointed, again.

Lzen
07-02-2012, 03:15 PM
First year I'm passing on NCAA and strictly getting Madden...I've had my problems with Madden in the past but it looks incredible this year.

Physics and Connected Career are going to be awesome, this new dev. team gets it.

I kinda feel the same way. New Madden looks much more impressive than NCAA.

Pestilence
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f7qig__eNxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Hmmm.

beach tribe
07-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Of course I'm gonna buy this again, and be all pissed off because they will have changed something that wasn't broken, and added some useless detail, while ignoring the stuff that really matters like last year with the pre-game introductions. I do still enjoy playing it but come on. When was the last time that updated rosters wasn't the truly the only reason to buy this game?

beach tribe
07-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I really didn't like the hot and cold crap either. I play hot and cold, I don't need the AI lowering my ratings when I don't play well.

beach tribe
07-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I kinda feel the same way. New Madden looks much more impressive than NCAA.

I hope it truly is improved. I need a reason to justify buying it when I have a 9 month old.
Can't wait till my kid is old enough to get his ass whipped at Madden. No mercy.:evil::evil:<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/huLJB0r-HXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ZootedGranny
07-03-2012, 12:50 AM

This may be the first year I skip buying Madden.

As a strictly offline franchise player, they've royally fucked it up. Connected Careers means a standardized roster across play modes, and in turn they've removed the ability to edit your rosters to use in franchise, or import players from NCAA.

Once again, instead of properly adding a feature, they've crammed it in and broke existing features. What a fucking joke.

Kyle DeLexus
07-03-2012, 02:47 AM
This may be the first year I skip buying Madden.

As a strictly offline franchise player, they've royally fucked it up. Connected Careers means a standardized roster across play modes, and in turn they've removed the ability to edit your rosters to use in franchise, or import players from NCAA.

Once again, instead of properly adding a feature, they've crammed it in and broke existing features. What a fucking joke.

This kind of freaked me out. I haven't been paying attention I guess and just assumed Connected Careers was replacing the superstar mode I never play and the offline franchise would be left alone.

From what I just read and heard, it looks like the Coaching mode will be basically the old franchise mode and you can play offline. Online franchises suck unless you have a group of friends that actually stay committed so I'm a strict Offline franchise player with a few online games thrown in when the mood strikes.

After watching the videos and reading some articles, I'm ok with the changes and will be buying it. I never get NCAA so I don't need to import rosters, and I've always liked using the current roster as my starting point and I don't edit stats so I'll be fine.

Sucks for those of you that the changes effected though.

Pestilence
07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
I might rent Madden this year to see if this is worth it. This will be the 3rd year that I haven't bought a copy.

I ALWAYS buy NCAA. NCAA has been better than Madden for years now.

Bump
07-03-2012, 04:39 PM
can anyone tell me if they addressed any of these issues, which from what I can remember, is the main reason why I finally quit buying madden.

1. Blocking, it's so bad. Your blocking FB never helps and always ignores the guy who is going to tackle you. Pass blocking is pathetic, in 2011, my entire line was 90+ each and still got insta sacked a lot of the time.

2. Play action, it's never been anything other than a guaranteed sack.

3. Linebackers that can jump 20 feet in the air to intercept

4. Corners that don't play the ball and make the play every single time.

5. Can't lead a WR, it's always under thrown. In fact, in 15+ years of playing madden, I've never seen an over thrown pass.

6. Robo QB

7. players morphing through each other all of the time.

8. Vacuum blocks

9. Franchise, I was always an offline franchise guy and it used to be a blast, the last 5 years it was horrible.

10. Players that produce, like rookies that you draft or free agents you pick up can have a 2000 yd season for you and improve the next season from 75-77. That's just stupid. It goes the same way when you have a star player, use D Bowe for example, if he only had 100 yards for you in a season, his rating would remain the same and not go down. Player progression has always been ignored.

11. Animations, there are like 3 or 4 animations for catching the ball, for an example.

12. Great running backs that can't break tackles ever.

13. Defensive line. You can have the best DE's in the game and they won't get sacks, ever.

14. There's never any realism, like a play that got messed up, receiver didn't run the correct route, etc.

15. Impact players don't make much of an impact

16. No injuries unless you sim. Believe it or not, I actually want to see some of my players get injured. It makes it more fun, interesting and real.

has any of that stuff been addressed? I couldn't care any less for the little stupid features they add every year when the actual game I spent $60 on sucks balls.

Kyle DeLexus
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
can anyone tell me if they addressed any of these issues, which from what I can remember, is the main reason why I finally quit buying madden.

1. Blocking, it's so bad. Your blocking FB never helps and always ignores the guy who is going to tackle you. Pass blocking is pathetic, in 2011, my entire line was 90+ each and still got insta sacked a lot of the time.
haven't heard anything about it
2. Play action, it's never been anything other than a guaranteed sack.
supposed to be fixed
3. Linebackers that can jump 20 feet in the air to intercept
supposed to be fixed
4. Corners that don't play the ball and make the play every single time.
supposed to be fixed
5. Can't lead a WR, it's always under thrown. In fact, in 15+ years of playing madden, I've never seen an over thrown pass.
supposed to be fixed
6. Robo QB
not sure what you mean here
7. players morphing through each other all of the time.
supposed to be fixed
8. Vacuum blocks
haven't heard anything
9. Franchise, I was always an offline franchise guy and it used to be a blast, the last 5 years it was horrible.
They've completely revamped the offline franchise as Coach Mode in connected careers. Not sure if that's good or bad...from first impressions it looks pretty cool to me
10. Players that produce, like rookies that you draft or free agents you pick up can have a 2000 yd season for you and improve the next season from 75-77. That's just stupid. It goes the same way when you have a star player, use D Bowe for example, if he only had 100 yards for you in a season, his rating would remain the same and not go down. Player progression has always been ignored.
It shoulds like in connected careers players will progress or regress based on production and XP earned.
11. Animations, there are like 3 or 4 animations for catching the ball, for an example.
supposed to be fixed
12. Great running backs that can't break tackles ever.
supposed to be fixed
13. Defensive line. You can have the best DE's in the game and they won't get sacks, ever.
supposed to be fixed, although different players play better in different schemes finally. So a 3-4 or a 4-3 actually means something when it comes to signing players and drafting.
14. There's never any realism, like a play that got messed up, receiver didn't run the correct route, etc.
not sure
15. Impact players don't make much of an impact
not sure, but they do have cold and hot streaks still
16. No injuries unless you sim. Believe it or not, I actually want to see some of my players get injured. It makes it more fun, interesting and real.
Not sure, but they said in the connected careers things will happen. He used as an example "you have been scouting a star player and the draft is right around the corner then you find out that player tore an ACL"

has any of that stuff been addressed? I couldn't care any less for the little stupid features they add every year when the actual game I spent $60 on sucks balls.

From what I've been reading most of what you listed has been specifically mentioned as being fixed (or at least improved) with the new engine. The one I really haven't heard much about is blocking.

I'm buying this one. If this years is all hype and no substance I will never buy another Madden again since they are going on and on about how everything has been fixed with the new infinity engine.

I'm pretty excited about it now...hopefully I'm not disappointed in the end.

WhitiE
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
So for an offline franchise player wtf is this connected careers thing? Im assuming I can just make an online franchise and be the only player right?

Pestilence
07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Connected Careers is basically everything in one spot.

You can start an offline franchise just like you could before or you can start an online franchise just like before. The only new thing about is you can have players and coaches in the same franchise. So for instance you could coach the Chiefs in the same online franchise that I play as Cam Newton.

Thig Lyfe
07-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Connected Careers is basically everything in one spot.

You can start an offline franchise just like you could before or you can start an online franchise just like before. The only new thing about is you can have players and coaches in the same franchise. So for instance you could coach the Chiefs in the same online franchise that I play as Cam Newton.

Sounds stupid as shit.

Bump
07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Sounds stupid as shit.

right?

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Sounds stupid as shit.

lol I don't get the hate one that, they just made it so you can customize it to how you want to play a league. The commissioner of the created league will be able to say what kind of league it is. For example, you can set it so everyone plays as a QB, or everyone plays as a CB, or everyone plays as a coach, or anyone can play as any position/coach they want.

Thig Lyfe
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
lol I don't get the hate one that, they just made it so you can customize it to how you want to play a league. The commissioner of the created league will be able to say what kind of league it is. For example, you can set it so everyone plays as a QB, or everyone plays as a CB, or everyone plays as a coach, or anyone can play as any position/coach they want.

Dumb.

Dayze
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm anxious to see how NCAA turns out after a few days of its' release. typically, NCAA blows Madden out of the water (IMO, anyway); but it should like Madden may have gotten their stuff together.
I'll need to play the NCAA demo again (assuming it's still there) - I played it when it cam out, and though 'meh'. felt exactly the same to me. Hopefully this isn't the case with Madden. I might actually consider buying Madden if it's not.

DBOSHO
07-05-2012, 10:58 PM
So if i understand connected careers right,

I could start a superstar and play as say, andrew luck, and play in the same league that my friend is running an online franchise as the chiefs in?

Dayze
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
wonder when the Madden demo will be out. If I recall, NCAA was out about a month before its' release? should be any time now I suppose.

Pestilence
07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
So if i understand connected careers right,

I could start a superstar and play as say, andrew luck, and play in the same league that my friend is running an online franchise as the chiefs in?

Correct.

Kyle DeLexus
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Will this years madden have a bounty feature in Connected Careers mode? I want to put a bounty on Peyton.

Dayze
07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
I hope with this new engine it's not as herky jerky as it was in years past. like a guy running in a full sprint and turn a 90 degree angle on a dime. regardless of player. Looks a little smoother in the small amount I've seen online

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Will this years madden have a bounty feature in Connected Careers mode? I want to put a bounty on Peyton.

Don't worry. Tamba loves horsemeat.

DBOSHO
07-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Correct.

That sounds really cool.

The God Hypothesis
07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
It's actually the best looking franchise mode ever, and that's coming from an offline franchise guy.

Check this websites forums for a ton of great details on all sports games:

http://www.Operationsports.com

Dayze
07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
have people heard any intitial reviews for it? I looked, but didn't see a whole lot, other than EA interviews with gaming sites stating how awesome it is.

Sorter
07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Don't worry. Tamba loves horsemeat.

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Overeem-Horse.gif

Bump
07-10-2012, 08:40 PM
It's actually the best looking franchise mode ever, and that's coming from an offline franchise guy.

Check this websites forums for a ton of great details on all sports games:

http://www.Operationsports.com

I seriously doubt that it's going to be any better. They still don't have any competition to worry about, so honestly, why would they take the time to make the improvement? People will buy it regardless. It doesn't make any sense from the business standpoint and they've been milking their monopoly for years.

They've said this BS every year, I'm not buying it. Let's face it, we'll probably never get another good football game again in our lives.

Lzen
08-06-2012, 10:18 AM
BTW, for anyone wanting to get into an online franchise (Madden, NCAA, NBA 2K, PES), check out this site.

http://www.premiergamingleagues.com/forum/index.php

I've been there for about 4 years now. They're a great group of guys that play straight up. And the leagues are active.

The God Hypothesis
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I seriously doubt that it's going to be any better. They still don't have any competition to worry about, so honestly, why would they take the time to make the improvement? People will buy it regardless. It doesn't make any sense from the business standpoint and they've been milking their monopoly for years.

They've said this BS every year, I'm not buying it. Let's face it, we'll probably never get another good football game again in our lives.

Actually their sales have been down. They have a new lead developer, and this connected careers has been a multi year build. EA has to step up their game, people like you & I are tired of buying half baked roster updates.

Im at least optimistic this year.

Dayze
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
A little off topic, but EA related.
My wife bought me NCAA 13 for my birthday, and man…..talk about a let down. Overall it feels exactly the same as last year.
I just can’t bring myself to buy Madden. And, frankly, I wasn’t even planning on getting NCAA 13, but couldn’t let the wife feel bad if I were to take it back.

The Road To Glory is abysmal. They need to add in achievements/points for doing your job (like NBA 2K12 etc). If you’re on defense on RTG, forget about getting any points anytime soon. I’d guess about 85% of the plays/running plays go away from you. I still do ‘my’ job however (fill gaps, set edge etc) but get virtually no points. The And, really?......in RTG you only have the stadium announcer? BS! NBA didn’t take this lame shortcut etc.

Rant over…..

CoMoChief
08-08-2012, 04:33 PM
EA is complete garbage ever since the next gen shit came out. It's just gone completely downhill year after year after year. The NCAA games have been good up until about a year ago from what I've seen, but there hasn't been a good Madden game since the one where Vick was on the cover (2004 maybe?)

Fruit Ninja
08-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually their sales have been down. They have a new lead developer, and this connected careers has been a multi year build. EA has to step up their game, people like you & I are tired of buying half baked roster updates.

Im at least optimistic this year.

they always have a new developer every few years, it went form David Ortiz to Ian Cummings who everyone thought was going to save football gaming, then this new cat, i dont knwo his name as i dont follow it all that much anymore. i have lost complete hope in Tiburon.

I just hope their sales continue to go down and down, so that the NFL allows another company in. If they dont :( well, ill get over it. lol

KCrockaholic
08-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Anyone download the demo yet?

Aspengc8
08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Anyone download the demo yet?

Yes. Played two games before heading to work. It seems like a more polished version of Madden 12, IMO. The new physics animations & player models look a little better, and the pre-game presentation is cool. I'm not a fan of the new 'throw your receiver open' passing mechanic, and hated it on NCAA 13.

The first thing I really looked for was better O-line interaction, and it seems to be there. They don't seem to miss their assignment as much, but still saw a few lineman wandering downfield clueless.

Its only a demo though, and from what I experienced, its polished enough for me to trade in NCAA and pick it up.

KCrockaholic
08-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Yes. Played two games before heading to work. It seems like a more polished version of Madden 12, IMO. The new physics animations & player models look a little better, and the pre-game presentation is cool. I'm not a fan of the new 'throw your receiver open' passing mechanic, and hated it on NCAA 13.

The first thing I really looked for was better O-line interaction, and it seems to be there. They don't seem to miss their assignment as much, but still saw a few lineman wandering downfield clueless.

Its only a demo though, and from what I experienced, its polished enough for me to trade in NCAA and pick it up.

Cool. Connected careers is the part that intrigues me this year. It's a big deal to take away franchise, and trying to make a 3-in-1 mode.

The God Hypothesis
08-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to try a few games this evening. Any noticeble difference in the physics?

DBOSHO
08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
I can't find it in the xbox marketplace

lcarus
08-14-2012, 08:33 AM
EA is complete garbage ever since the next gen shit came out. It's just gone completely downhill year after year after year. The NCAA games have been good up until about a year ago from what I've seen, but there hasn't been a good Madden game since the one where Vick was on the cover (2004 maybe?)

It did go downhill once the new generation of consoles came out. But Madden 12 was a step in the right direction. There were flaws for sure, but it wasn't bad. I'm hoping this years is better. I've heard a lot of good things about what they are TRYING to do.

I got NCAA 13 last night and played a few games of it. I thought it was pretty damn good compared to years past.

Pestilence
08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
EA went downhill when online gaming became popular.

lcarus
08-14-2012, 10:22 AM
EA went downhill when online gaming became popular.

Thats a good point. All I do is play offline franchise. Whenever I played online my opponent always picked the Eagles or Steelers or some other top team. Every damn time. And they would always do cheap stuff. So it just wasnt fun.

Bump
08-14-2012, 11:53 AM
damn I don't have enough space to try the demo :( I really need to upgrade my xbox

KCrockaholic
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
How long did it take to download? It's nearly 2GB. Dayum....Will play the demo when I get a new PS3...

I can't believe it had to die on me TODAY.

lcarus
08-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Who are the teams you can play as in the demo?

DBOSHO
08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
49ers vs giants and seahawks vs redskins

I still can't download it. I found it by searching for it but I get an error.

Pestilence
08-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I'll probably download it tonight and take a look at it.

DBOSHO
08-14-2012, 01:24 PM
And I can't even find it on psn

Fried Meat Ball!
08-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Thats a good point. All I do is play offline franchise. Whenever I played online my opponent always picked the Eagles or Steelers or some other top team. Every damn time. And they would always do cheap stuff. So it just wasnt fun.

I would buy a game of offline franchise only, kinda like the treatment they did for Head Coach, but doesn't suck.

Pestilence
08-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I would buy a game of offline franchise only, kinda like the treatment they did for Head Coach, but doesn't suck.

I've been saying this for a couple of years now. Madden really needs to put out two different games. One like it is now....minus the offline franchise mode. And one that's just franchise mode.

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Games ok, only played one game, but i felt like playing another when i was done. Thats NEVER happened to me in a Madden game. Still i have some complaints about the way the guys feel like they are sliding on ice still. Not as bad as it used to be, but its there.

lcarus
08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
And I can't even find it on psn

Hmm. As soon as I clicked on the store and went to demos, there was a big box on the left for Madden. Then when I clicked newest demos it was like the second one. Still waiting for it to download.

Lzen
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I've been saying this for a couple of years now. Madden really needs to put out two different games. One like it is now....minus the offline franchise mode. And one that's just franchise mode.

Why when they can do both in one game? I play both online and offline franchises.

lcarus
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM

They can do it all in one game, but they just need to respect offline framchise more. And when they add something good - KEEP IT. First thing they need to do is get rid of the free agency ebay thing with all the timers on each player. That was annoying and stupid.

-King-
08-14-2012, 09:43 PM
The tackle animations are horrible ROFL Physics fail.

lcarus
08-14-2012, 10:50 PM
The tackle animations are horrible ROFL Physics fail.

Sometimes its great, sometimes it looks glitchy. They will fix the glitchy looking animations I hope. I don't know what else to call it but "glitchy". So far I like the demo, and I liked 12 so I should have a blast with this one.

I also have high hopes that the Chiefs will be pretty good in this game. It has been a long time since that happened. I'm so used to starting a Chiefs franchise and having to suffer through that first season before overhauling a good chunk of the roster in the offseason. Now all I really need is a QB and maybe a prototype TE considering Moeaki will probably be average according to their ratings. Maybe a young beast MLB.

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Some of the animations are terrible and need alot of fixing, but im sure they just said F it, throw them in there anyways. What looks REALLLLLLLY BAD is after a play you got guys falling all over the place when a player tries to get up. Someone always trips on them. lol That shit just looks half assed

KCtotheSB
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I played a half as RGIII and the 'Skins...didn't see much wrong with it, but then again this is my first Madden experience in 1 1/2 years.

SnakeXJones
08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Its an improvement over 12 and i kinda like the physics but it looks awkward at times but some animations look good

Kyle DeLexus
08-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Some of the animations are terrible and need alot of fixing, but im sure they just said F it, throw them in there anyways. What looks REALLLLLLLY BAD is after a play you got guys falling all over the place when a player tries to get up. Someone always trips on them. lol That shit just looks half assed

Yeah I noticed the tripping. Overall it's much better than years past, but it needs some polishing before release.

Aspengc8
08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Hopefully they fix the rubbery animations. I have season pass so I'll report in next friday when I get to try the final build.

bgguitarman
08-15-2012, 07:53 AM
I downloaded and played a game on the Vita last night. Giants vs. Patriots was the only option. I found the controls were responsive. You can use the touchscreen on the Vita to "draw" routes for the receivers prior to the play which was cool. Overall it looked and played really nice on the Vita.

The God Hypothesis
08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
They can do it all in one game, but they just need to respect offline framchise more. And when they add something good - KEEP IT. First thing they need to do is get rid of the free agency ebay thing with all the timers on each player. That was annoying and stupid.

Icarus, my man, you are describing connected careers. Its going to be sick!!

Sorter
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Icarus, my man, you are describing connected careers. Its going to be sick!!

Not without roster editing IMO. You'll have to restart your franchise every time a new roster comes out. Additionally, the lack of importing draft classes takes away from the franchise aspect for me. The demo played ok on the Very Slow speed setting, and I did enjoy the new passing mechanics. However, the blocking animations still suck and the Infinity engine results in weird tackles/hits.

KCrockaholic
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
ALL about connected careers mode..

Insane amount of information.

http://vassets.ea.com/Assets/Resources/File/M13ConnectedCareersManual.pdf

But it looks AMAZING.

lcarus
08-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Not without roster editing IMO. You'll have to restart your franchise every time a new roster comes out. Additionally, the lack of importing draft classes takes away from the franchise aspect for me. The demo played ok on the Very Slow speed setting, and I did enjoy the new passing mechanics. However, the blocking animations still suck and the Infinity engine results in weird tackles/hits.

Can't use draft classes from NCAA 13? If true, that really blows. Why would they take that out?

Sorter
08-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Can't use draft classes from NCAA 13? If true, that really blows. Why would they take that out?

Supposedly, they removed it so the could rework it for next year. Typical EA bullshit, remove something good just for the fuck of it.

KCrockaholic
08-16-2012, 01:30 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yvP1oihL50c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In. Sane.

lcarus
08-16-2012, 04:36 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yvP1oihL50c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In. Sane.

Yeah i had that happen once. Awesome. As long as its rare, and ive seen it happen once in like 8 games so thats a good sign.

Bump
08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah I noticed the tripping. Overall it's much better than years past, but it needs some polishing before release.

lol when have they ever polished anything from the demo to the release? The "it's just a demo" argument is void because the demo is the final product.

lcarus
08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
lol when have they ever polished anything from the demo to the release? The "it's just a demo" argument is void because the demo is the final product.

I don't find the tripping stuff to be bad. I see it happen in real games occasionally.

Pestilence
08-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Supposedly, they removed it so the could rework it for next year. Typical EA bullshit, remove something good just for the fuck of it.

Well....looks like I won't be buying or renting Madden this year. Fucking stupid.

Bump
08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Well....looks like I won't be buying or renting Madden this year. ****ing stupid.

same

they say they are gonna improve the game every year. With no competition allowed (monopolies are legal now in the US obviously), why would they take the time to improve this game? Once a game company goes full corporate, game quality drops big time but sales increase.

Dayze
08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Is EA trying to simulate the action that goes on around the pile when defenders are trying to make a play?

jd1020
08-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Not impressed with the demo. Game just feels slow. Haven't really seen any "realistic" looking tackles. Guys just run into each other and fall down.

Dayze
08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Not impressed with the demo. Game just feels slow. Haven't really seen any "realistic" looking tackles. Guys just run into each other and fall down.

so just like the NFL? :p

jd1020
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
so just like the NFL? :p

Not really. Guys in the NFL wrap up and tackle. Guys in Madden run into each other fall over like bowling pins.

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Fifa is almost flawless. Oh how I wish Madden was the same.

Dayze
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
maybe the based the tackling animation on Deion Sanders.

Aspengc8
08-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Actually, the Madden 13 demo was a build from around E3. The gamechanger crew has retail copies, and their threads with videos over at Operation Sports show the game play is MUCH tuned from the demo.

Thanks for playing, though.

Aspengc8
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Some Chiefs action retail version.

*woops, thanks for fixing!

Fried Meat Ball!
08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Some Chiefs action retail version.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G0zbvFKy6po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ummm... [youtube] isn't a valid tag..... I fixed it in the quote.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Defense bailing Cassel out... what else is new?

Bump
08-16-2012, 03:32 PM
after watching that video I see that bullshit where the guy should get a sack, the QB makes a "pass" where the ball just goes 2 feet bobbling in the air. I hated that shit so much. NOT BUYING

Mecca
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
same

they say they are gonna improve the game every year. With no competition allowed (monopolies are legal now in the US obviously), why would they take the time to improve this game? Once a game company goes full corporate, game quality drops big time but sales increase.

You know signing a licensing agreement and a monopoly are not even close to the same thing right? It's bad for football gamers yes but it's not close to a monopoly.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
You know signing a licensing agreement and a monopoly are not even close to the same thing right? It's bad for football gamers yes but it's not close to a monopoly.

Where is the disconnect between Madden and monopoly?

Mecca
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Where is the disconnect between Madden and monopoly?

The NFL put their game up to be exclusive all companies had the right to bid on it, EA chose to pay the most. It would be like saying the NFL has a monopoly with Directv. All of the exclusive deals make the NFL more money and hurt competition but they also aren't monopolies.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:46 PM
The NFL put their game up to be exclusive all companies had the right to bid on it, EA chose to pay the most. It would be like saying the NFL has a monopoly with Directv. All of the exclusive deals make the NFL more money and hurt competition but they also aren't monopolies.

I guess I don't understand how 1 company has exclusive rights to supply a product isn't a monopoly. That's like the very definition of the word.

Sorter
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
From that video and playing the demo, I'm not impressed. O-Line blocking animation looks shitty, and it took Jaamal almost 4 seconds to run not even 30 yards

Mecca
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I guess I don't understand how 1 company has exclusive rights to supply a product isn't a monopoly. That's like the very definition of the word.

All sports leagues can sign exclusive rights to 1 company if they choose to. Matter of fact 2k just had an exclusive deal for baseball but the reason the show existed is because in those deals the console producer could also make a game.

So start praying for microsoft or sony football I guess. Truth be told if they put it up for exclusive license again, EA will win it again. No company in their right mind is gonna pay huge money to outbid EA and then have to start from scratch on a series they haven't touched in years.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
All sports leagues can sign exclusive rights to 1 company if they choose to. Matter of fact 2k just had an exclusive deal for baseball but the reason the show existed is because in those deals the console producer could also make a game.

So start praying for microsoft or sony football I guess. Truth be told if they put it up for exclusive license again, EA will win it again. No company in their right mind is gonna pay huge money to outbid EA and then have to start from scratch on a series they haven't touched in years.

Just because the license is up for auction doesn't make it not a monopoly. In the end only 1 company has the rights to develop and supply the product. Doesn't matter if its EA, Sony, or Microsoft. It's still a monopoly.

Mecca
08-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Just because the license is up for auction doesn't make it not a monopoly. In the end only 1 company has the rights to develop and supply the product. Doesn't matter if its EA, Sony, or Microsoft. It's still a monopoly.

I believe technically to be considered a monopoly they'd have to make all the video games in the market. So it will never be considered a monopoly because they supply the only football game.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I believe technically to be considered a monopoly they'd have to make all the video games in the market. So it will never be considered a monopoly because they supply the only football game.

What other market is going to go up against a football game other than a football game?

Mecca
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
What other market is going to go up against a football game other than a football game?

Ok I'm going to use a comparison to see if you follow. There are however many video games in the industry just because only EA does football doesn't make it a monopoly.

Fore example say in the world of pro wrestling the WWE is the only game in town, they're not considered a monopoly because they are in the world of entertainment. They're the only place you can go for wrestling but not entertainment so it's not a monopoly.

Follow?

jd1020
08-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Ok I'm going to use a comparison to see if you follow. There are however many video games in the industry just because only EA does football doesn't make it a monopoly.

Fore example say in the world of pro wrestling the WWE is the only game in town, they're not considered a monopoly because they are in the world of entertainment. They're the only place you can go for wrestling but not entertainment so it's not a monopoly.

Follow?

What. The. ****?

Does WWE have EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to people hitting each other?

EA has EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to the NFL franchise. Meaning they are the only company in the business than can produce a NFL game. No other company can do that. They control the market. That is the very definition of the word monopoly.

Mecca
08-16-2012, 04:02 PM
What. The. ****?

Does WWE have EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to people hitting each other?

Why the hell is this concept so hard to grasp. For this to ever go up as a monopoly in this country EA would have to literally make every game in the market.

And frankly other companies can still make football games right now they just don't have the NFL license so they'd be no name players on made up teams.

It's bad for football gamers but there is nothing illegal about it.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Why the hell is this concept so hard to grasp. For this to ever go up as a monopoly in this country EA would have to literally make every game in the market.

And frankly other companies can still make football games right now they just don't have the NFL license so they'd be no name players on made up teams.

It's bad for football gamers but there is nothing illegal about it.

Jesus christ. There is no other market for football other than football.

Monopolies aren't 100% illegal.

Mecca
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Jesus christ. There is no other market for football other than football.

Monopolies aren't 100% illegal.

Yet it's not viewed that way, it's viewed as the video game industry, sports gaming is a tiny slice of that pie with football being just a slice of that.

Football gaming is not an exclusive section that isn't part of the video game world.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Yet it's not viewed that way, it's viewed as the video game industry, sports gaming is a tiny slice of that pie with football being just a slice of that.

Football gaming is not an exclusive section that isn't part of the video game world.

So what game are you going to replace Madden with if you are in the market for a NFL football game?

Mecca
08-16-2012, 04:13 PM
So what game are you going to replace Madden with if you are in the market for a NFL football game?

Nothing that is the same, if you don't like GTA would you like there to be another version of it made by another company or something?

Sports gaming is the only type of gaming where having similar games is good for gamers, but to the world of video gaming they don't give a fuck. Matter of fact most of them think sports games suck and have shitty graphics and are paint by numbers etc etc.

We're talking about a small section of gaming aimed at a niche crowd, it's why Madden never changes they basically bank what their profit is before the game ever releases because they know.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Nothing that is the same, if you don't like GTA would you like there to be another version of it made by another company or something?

I can go out an buy plenty of games from a plethora of different companies if I want to kill shit. I can only buy 1 game from 1 company that has exclusive rights to the product if I want to buy a NFL game.

Bump
08-16-2012, 04:27 PM

fact is, this licensing deal created a monopoly. A monopoly is a monopoly. There used to be others who could make football games, made money doing it and were forced to shut down. It's the definition of monopoly.

Bump
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Follow?

that's a horrible comparison. Say 3 companies were making football games before this monopoly deal they made with EA. EA, 2K and Sega all made football games and had built a business around these football games. Well this deal forces 2K and Sega to shut down immediately and not allowed to continue to make money so that only one company can make money. That's creating a monopoly.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 04:34 PM
that's a horrible comparison. Say 3 companies were making football games before this monopoly deal they made with EA. EA, 2K and Sega all made football games and had built a business around these football games. Well this deal forces 2K and Sega to shut down immediately and not allowed to continue to make money so that only one company can make money. That's creating a monopoly.

I'm not quite sure how anyone can say it's not a monopoly. EA just settled a lawsuit to shut people up about their exclusive rights to the NFL.

bowener
08-16-2012, 05:08 PM
It isn't a monopoly. Mecca is correct. No, I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be. This just simply isn't a monopoly. EA bought the rights to use NFL names/images. 2K can go out and make a football game that looks similar to EA's madden if they wish (just not too similar), they just don't have permission to use any trademarked images/names the NFL owns.

Hell, 2K can probably make a game that is called "Pro Football 2013", which has 32 teams in 31 cities (2 in NYC), each active roster would have 53 men, etc... as long as they don't have a team in Arizona called the "Arizona Cardinals". They can have a team in KC as long as it is something like, "the KC Cherokees" or something. I'm not sure if they could use the same NFL color schemes for each team tho.

I'm surprised somebody like 2K hasn't made this game where the owners of the game are allowed to customize everything, including editing images/rosters/player names, stadium names, etc. I know they wouldn't make much money on it being a yearly release since you could just edit the previous one to play like a new game.

Sega and 2K can make another pro football simulator if they wish, they just can't use anything trademarked by the NFL.

Do you think Warner Bros. has a monopoly over Batman films? They own the exclusive rights to produce Batman films. I'm sure FOX would love to be able to make a Batman film, but unfortunately they do not have the exclusive rights to do so... much like Sega/2K.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
It isn't a monopoly. Mecca is correct. No, I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be. This just simply isn't a monopoly. EA bought the rights to use NFL names/images. 2K can go out and make a football game that looks similar to EA's madden if they wish (just not too similar), they just don't have permission to use any trademarked images/names the NFL owns.

Hell, 2K can probably make a game that is called "Pro Football 2013", which has 32 teams in 31 cities (2 in NYC), each active roster would have 53 men, etc... as long as they don't have a team in Arizona called the "Arizona Cardinals". They can have a team in KC as long as it is something like, "the KC Cherokees" or something. I'm not sure if they could use the same NFL color schemes for each team tho.

I'm surprised somebody like 2K hasn't made this game where the owners of the game are allowed to customize everything, including editing images/rosters/player names, stadium names, etc. I know they wouldn't make much money on it being a yearly release since you could just edit the previous one to play like a new game.

Sega and 2K can make another pro football simulator if they wish, they just can't use anything trademarked by the NFL.

Do you think Warner Bros. has a monopoly over Batman films? They own the exclusive rights to produce Batman films. I'm sure FOX would love to be able to make a Batman film, but unfortunately they do not have the exclusive rights to do so... much like Sega/2K.

Get back to me when a company makes such a game and it actually attracts buyers. EA owns the football genre and everyone knows it. No company is going to make an unofficial sim because they can't compete with the real thing. EA would still control the market and it would still be a monopoly because they have exclusive rights to the product.

Why did EA just settle a lawsuit complaining about their exclusive rights if there wasn't a monopoly? Hell... they are paying back customers who bought the game after 2005 because of this. They also just accepted a ban from exclusive rights to NCAA after 2014 for 5 years. All of this to keep their exclusive rights with the NFL because thats where the money is.

bowener
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Get back to me when a company makes such a game and it actually attracts buyers. EA owns the football genre and everyone knows it. No company is going to make an unofficial sim because they can't compete with the real thing. EA would still control the market and it would still be a monopoly because they have exclusive rights to the product.

Why did EA just settle a lawsuit complaining about their exclusive rights if there wasn't a monopoly? Hell... they are paying back customers who bought the game after 2005 because of this.

You just answered this yourself. It is not a fucking monopoly. Any other company is free to make a football game. They just can't make one using the NFL's trademarked images/names. It isn't EA's problem if 2K can't make a profit. I am not a fan of this at all, but that is the cut and dry of this. One company has a ton of money and can afford to throw it around to make more money for themselves.

And I do not know anything about the law suit, except for the fact that they settled and did not lose. If they lost then it could have been a monopoly. This just tells me they realized settling would net them more profit in the long term. Plus, if there was a legitimate monopoly suit filed against them it couldn't be settled, it would be handed down by the fucking US government, not private companies or consumers...

You must agree then that Warner Bros. holds a monopoly on Batman images for film then.

Fruit Ninja
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
It technically isnt a monopoly by law, but in reality it is. There is no other football game that will survive no matter how good it is. If it doesnt have that NFL or NCAA logo on it, its a no go. They are toooo strong of a brand.

APF is still the best playing "Football game" but people dont care, they want to play with their teams. I dont blame them either the NFL is that freaking big.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 05:28 PM
You just answered this yourself. It is not a ****ing monopoly. Any other company is free to make a football game. They just can't make one using the NFL's trademarked images/names. It isn't EA's problem if 2K can't make a profit. I am not a fan of this at all, but that is the cut and dry of this. One company has a ton of money and can afford to throw it around to make more money for themselves.

And I do not know anything about the law suit, except for the fact that they settled and did not lose. If they lost then it could have been a monopoly. This just tells me they realized settling would net them more profit in the long term. Plus, if there was a legitimate monopoly suit filed against them it couldn't be settled, it would be handed down by the ****ing US government, not private companies or consumers...

How is it not? 1 company controls the ****ing market.

Next are you going to tell me that Microsoft just stopped making football games because it wasn't profitable enough? Or how that after EA was given exclusive rights the price from NFL 2k went from 19.99 to 49.99 for Madden?

EA controls the market and the pricing. That is a monopoly. Look up the definition.

Fruit Ninja
08-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Just say EA has a NCAA and NFL football monopoly and be done.

Kyle DeLexus
08-16-2012, 05:37 PM
http://i.qkme.me/36eamv.jpg

Kyle DeLexus
08-16-2012, 05:41 PM
How is it not? 1 company controls the ****ing market.

Next are you going to tell me that Microsoft just stopped making football games because it wasn't profitable enough? Or how that after EA was given exclusive rights the price from NFL 2k went from 19.99 to 49.99 for Madden?

EA controls the market and the pricing. That is a monopoly. Look up the definition.

When has a new copy of Madden been more than a new copy of most other video games?

Fruit Ninja
08-16-2012, 05:48 PM
That 19.99 argument is dumb. 2K did that for one reason and one reason only, to get their name out. They did it for ALL their sports games that year, and they never ever sold anything full game that cheap again. It worked, the problem is the NFL wanted to go exclusive like they do with ALL their licenses. Jerseys, helmets, you name it, its exclusive.

EA just had deeper pockets then 2K, and considering 2K sold a fuckton of assets a few years back thats sitting in the bank collecting interest, they have money to throw at the football license if the NFL doesnt extend it again.

Bump
08-16-2012, 05:51 PM
if it's not a monopoly why did EA settle? Shouldn't a judge just throw it out if it's not a monopoly? Granted I haven't looked into this much, lol. But if you shell out the money, you can have a legal monopoly in America. Yankees are another example of that.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/21/ea-settles-27-million-madden-monopoly-lawsuit/

EA settles Madden monopoly lawsuit

A class-action lawsuit claiming EA Sports’ exclusive on the NFL football license constitutes an illegal monopoly has been finalized.

What this means, is that consumers who purchased a Madden product from EA between 2005 and today on PS3, Wii or Xbox 360, they can get $1.95 back as part of the suit. If it’s a Madden game for GameCube, PS2, or Xbox, they can get $6.79.

The lawsuit also puts a five-year ban on an exclusive license between EA Sports and the NCAA once the current contract expires in 2014. The last NCAA football game released by a company other than EA was Sega’s College Football 2K3 10 years ago. EA can sign any non-exclusive deal with the NCAA after 2014.

EA Sports also can’t sign any exclusive licensing contracts with the Arena Football League for five years.

The lawsuit, Pecover vs. Electronic Arts, was filed in July 2008 and claimed the NFL license not only allowed EA to raise game prices by 70%, but killed off the NFL 2K series, and any other football game based on US football based around real teams – forcing consumers to only purchase EA Sports video game products.

EA is setting aside $27 million for the suit.

Thanks, Kotaku.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 06:11 PM
That 19.99 argument is dumb. 2K did that for one reason and one reason only, to get their name out. They did it for ALL their sports games that year, and they never ever sold anything full game that cheap again. It worked, the problem is the NFL wanted to go exclusive like they do with ALL their licenses. Jerseys, helmets, you name it, its exclusive.

EA just had deeper pockets then 2K, and considering 2K sold a ****ton of assets a few years back thats sitting in the bank collecting interest, they have money to throw at the football license if the NFL doesnt extend it again.

Even if they didn't keep the 19.99 price there would still be competition to make a quality game at a competitive price. EA had to drop its retail price to 29.95 in 2005 but went right back up to 49.99 the next year after signing exclusive rights.

Personally I think the NFL should be banned from allowing exclusive deals when it comes to video games. It's not the same as uniforms for the teams in your league. It doesn't really benefit the league it just benefits the company holding the rights. The NFL takes a cut off of any sale of a product using their logo, names, blah blah blah. The company with the exclusive rights can sell it for whatever they want and take a cut off of everyone wanting a NFL game because there is no other company out there making one and they have no incentive to improve. They just sell the same shit from the previous year with new players.

lcarus
08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Even if they didn't keep the 19.99 price there would still be competition to make a quality game at a competitive price. EA had to drop its retail price to 29.95 in 2005 but went right back up to 49.99 the next year after signing exclusive rights.

Personally I think the NFL should be banned from allowing exclusive deals when it comes to video games. It's not the same as uniforms for the teams in your league. It doesn't really benefit the league it just benefits the company holding the rights. The NFL takes a cut off of any sale of a product using their logo, names, blah blah blah. The company with the exclusive rights can sell it for whatever they want and take a cut off of everyone wanting a NFL game because there is no other company out there making one and they have no incentive to improve. They just sell the same shit from the previous year with new players.

Whats funny is even when EA didn't have exclusive rights there were only a couple other companies that made NFL football games. It isnt like there were dozens of NFL games in 2005 then just one. There was basically Madden and 2K. Blitz wasnt even still around when EA got exclusive were they?

Fruit Ninja
08-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Whats funny is even when EA didn't have exclusive rights there were only a couple other companies that made NFL football games. It isnt like there were dozens of NFL games in 2005 then just one. There was basically Madden and 2K. Blitz wasnt even still around when EA got exclusive were they?

Well, both games were good, it went from that to just one and the ONE i enjoyed 100x more got the axe. Then the NEXT year was the transition to the next gen and well Madden has been craptastic since. The only one that hurts are the fan, EA or 2K. EA put little effort into improving the game. Putting in fucking gimmicks that didnt work and took out the next year.

Oh well, i guess i get saved a few bucks a year by not buying a football game.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 08:24 PM

That's pretty much the case with every sports game. I would imagine Sony would try to jump into the market.

There have been a couple of Blitz games released since the EA deal. Just shows how important those rights are to the market.

Dayze
08-17-2012, 07:28 AM
I meant to download this last night; my buddy wasn't impressed and he and I agree on most games. Hmmm.

Aspengc8
08-17-2012, 08:05 AM
if it's not a monopoly why did EA settle? Shouldn't a judge just throw it out if it's not a monopoly? Granted I haven't looked into this much, lol. But if you shell out the money, you can have a legal monopoly in America. Yankees are another example of that.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/21/ea-settles-27-million-madden-monopoly-lawsuit/

EA settles Madden monopoly lawsuit

A class-action lawsuit claiming EA Sportsí exclusive on the NFL football license constitutes an illegal monopoly has been finalized.

What this means, is that consumers who purchased a Madden product from EA between 2005 and today on PS3, Wii or Xbox 360, they can get $1.95 back as part of the suit. If itís a Madden game for GameCube, PS2, or Xbox, they can get $6.79.

The lawsuit also puts a five-year ban on an exclusive license between EA Sports and the NCAA once the current contract expires in 2014. The last NCAA football game released by a company other than EA was Segaís College Football 2K3 10 years ago. EA can sign any non-exclusive deal with the NCAA after 2014.

EA Sports also canít sign any exclusive licensing contracts with the Arena Football League for five years.

The lawsuit, Pecover vs. Electronic Arts, was filed in July 2008 and claimed the NFL license not only allowed EA to raise game prices by 70%, but killed off the NFL 2K series, and any other football game based on US football based around real teams Ė forcing consumers to only purchase EA Sports video game products.

EA is setting aside $27 million for the suit.

Thanks, Kotaku.

This is good news. All 2K has to do is update the graphics on APF2k8, and drop NFL rosters on it. Its mind boggling how EA's football games still don't play like the 2K games as far as momentum, animations and just a general football feel to it.

BryanBusby
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
They can have a team in KC as long as it is something like, "the KC Cherokees" or something. I'm not sure if they could use the same NFL color schemes for each team tho.
Sounds like a pretty cool way to get sued.

jd1020
08-17-2012, 08:31 AM
This is good news. All 2K has to do is update the graphics on APF2k8, and drop NFL rosters on it. Its mind boggling how EA's football games still don't play like the 2K games as far as momentum, animations and just a general football feel to it.

EA still holds exclusive rights to the NFL. Their settlement bans them from extending their exclusive deal with the NCAA. After 2014 there will be a 5 year window where a company could make a licensed NCAA football game. I doubt someone does it though because EA will still own the market.

Dayze
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
I can’t believe how bland Madden/NCAA/EA is. I mean, it’s not a ‘horrible’ game, but it’s certainly not good. I’d say average at best. The thing that irritates me is the price of the games. There changes year to year is so minimal, I’m not sure why they even bother putting out a game year to year.

The changes the ‘do’ make, are virtually all cosmetic, and they don’t fix the actual football part of the game.
It’s not Madden, but I’ve been playing NCAA for a month now as a few RTG players; mostly OLBs. It’s ridiculous.
If you place yourself where you’re supposed to be based on the play, you’ll never make a play. Seriously…never. I played an entire season this way – playing how the play is drawn up – and registered a whopping 6 tackles as a LB. They should take a page out of the NBA2K series where you get points for doing what you're supposed to in the given play. As it is, virtually all points are based on tackles.....which is hard to get unless you're free-lancing.
The only way you stand a chance is to assume the play is going away from you and line up based on your own football knowledge. The play calling is a joke; the same 10 plays over and over and over again. And retarded situational play calling, such as a 3-4 when the offense has less than a yard to go for the endzone/goaline.

Since these are both made by EA, I’m nearly certain that Madden has a lot of the same issues.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-17-2012, 08:51 AM
I canít believe how bland Madden/NCAA/EA is. I mean, itís not a Ďhorribleí game, but itís certainly not good. Iíd say average at best. The thing that irritates me is the price of the games. There changes year to year is so minimal, Iím not sure why they even bother putting out a game year to year.

The changes the Ďdoí make, are virtually all cosmetic, and they donít fix the actual football part of the game.
Itís not Madden, but Iíve been playing NCAA for a month now as a few RTG players; mostly OLBs. Itís ridiculous.
If you place yourself where youíre supposed to be based on the play, youíll never make a play. SeriouslyÖnever. I played an entire season this way Ė playing how the play is drawn up Ė and registered a whopping 6 tackles as a LB.
The only way you stand a chance is to assume the play is going away from you and line up based on your own football knowledge. The play calling is a joke; the same 10 plays over and over and over again. And retarded situational play calling, such as a 3-4 when the offense has less than a yard to go for the endzone/goaline.

Since these are both made by EA, Iím nearly certain that Madden has a lot of the same issues.

It's true to life, they employed Paul Hackett as the brains behind the playcalling!

lcarus
08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I canít believe how bland Madden/NCAA/EA is. I mean, itís not a Ďhorribleí game, but itís certainly not good. Iíd say average at best. The thing that irritates me is the price of the games. There changes year to year is so minimal, Iím not sure why they even bother putting out a game year to year.

The changes the Ďdoí make, are virtually all cosmetic, and they donít fix the actual football part of the game.
Itís not Madden, but Iíve been playing NCAA for a month now as a few RTG players; mostly OLBs. Itís ridiculous.
If you place yourself where youíre supposed to be based on the play, youíll never make a play. SeriouslyÖnever. I played an entire season this way Ė playing how the play is drawn up Ė and registered a whopping 6 tackles as a LB. They should take a page out of the NBA2K series where you get points for doing what you're supposed to in the given play. As it is, virtually all points are based on tackles.....which is hard to get unless you're free-lancing.

Since these are both made by EA, Iím nearly certain that Madden has a lot of the same issues.

At least this year there is a new engine. I can tell a difference. They made some minor tweaks that I like. I won't be able to truly grade the game until I can see franchise mode. So far, just based on the gameplay, its an improvement over years past.

Dayze
08-17-2012, 09:34 AM
hmmm. Good to know. Didn't realize there was a new engine.

lcarus
08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
hmmm. Good to know. Didn't realize there was a new engine.

Yeah they talked about it for a couple years it seems. I thought last year was supposed to have it, but it didn't. So I thought they were full of shit and would just keep the same engine for a long time. Luckily there's a new engine and I like it better than the previous one.

So far though, I kinda like NCAA 13 better, but I've only played the Madden demo. Once I start a franchise with the Chiefs, I'll be able to tell how much I like it. For the record, I NEVER like NCAA better.

Unsmooth-Moment
08-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Just played the demo. I like the new feel of the gameplay.

Wallcrawler
08-24-2012, 02:34 AM
Seems like same old Madden to me from the gameplay demo. I saw a couple new animations, and my ball carriers went a bit further after being hit, but I was still able to rape the CPU with the same plays Ive always been able to do it with.

They NEVER catch on to your bread and butter plays. You can still change every receiver's route within 1.5 seconds to literally destroy the defense that lines up in front of you.

They say there's 20 new trajectories for throwing the football, and there might be, but I didnt even need to use them while destroying the computer while playing as both the Giants and 49ers.

Not only that, but the few times I did actually have a challenge (albeit from cheap fumbles forced by the CPU in order to get the football back), I was still able to run up the score ridiculously within the final minutes of the game when the CPU is in full comeback playcalling. For instance, one game I was leading 16-6 with 2 minutes left, and the final score ended up being 34-6 because I took two picks back to the house doing nothing more than calling a dime cover 3 defense over and over and over.

Unless theyve done some massive, epic changes to franchise mode, Ill be skipping this one. Its just another year of Madden with a couple new bells and whistles.

Aspengc8
08-24-2012, 09:12 AM
I'll have the season pass in a few hours and my buddy actually has the game already. He bought it off ebay for 70$ sent over night. He said he has played about 15 games so far and its more polished than the demo as far as the physics engine and stuff. Guys still do weird stuff like fall over each other after plays once or twice a game but runs a lot smoother. He's been using the Bill Walsh legendary playbook and said it fits KC good. Can't wait to play later.

MoreLemonPledge
08-24-2012, 09:37 AM
The Kinect integration is pretty amazing. It might be the biggest single advance in the core gameplay in five years. There's nothing like yelling out audibles and hot routes. It's faster than the controller, too.

Bump
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
meh, first time I almost got a sack in the demo (and every time I almost get a sack) the QB still does that thing where as you are sacking him, he pops the ball up in the air about 3 feet away and it's just an incomplete pass.

It's one of the most frustrating, annoying things about Madden and it's still there.

This game is gonna suck just like all of the other madden's.

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I finally broke down and got a PS3 and college football last weekend. Last year was the last time they made Madden for PS2. I am really enjoying the game. I started a dynasty with Arkansas and made Marty Schottenheimer my coach LOL. I just made him up. All of the extra recruiting and stuff is really cool. I think the game looks great but I am not sure it plays as well as the PS2 versions did. I feel the same way about Madden. I played last year's with a friend. It was really hard to get off a play action pass for example. The play calling and everything is cool. maybe it just takes some getting used to?

The thing that really blew me about NCAA away is the flow of the game. For example, I got an interception and there was no pause in the game. The screen just quickly jumped the cornerback and I was already in second gear. That's pretty cool and it must have a helluva engine.

lcarus
08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
meh, first time I almost got a sack in the demo (and every time I almost get a sack) the QB still does that thing where as you are sacking him, he pops the ball up in the air about 3 feet away and it's just an incomplete pass.

It's one of the most frustrating, annoying things about Madden and it's still there.

This game is gonna suck just like all of the other madden's.

I hate that shit. I also hate how you can never get fumbles off sacks. I played a game where I had like 9 sacks and no fumbles. I can't get my guys to try to strip the QB, even when I always press the strip button.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Toys R US is selling this game for $44.99 if you pre order it online with free shipping

jd1020
08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Anyone challenge a call yet?

No matter how white the grass the player is standing on when he catches the ball DO NOT CHALLENGE THE PLAY!

Maybe its been too long since I've played Madden and I'm too stupid to realize that the computer always calls those plays "correctly" but I've seen catches where the ball was going to land OB and the guy catches it but his whole foot is OB ruled a catch. If you see green grass kick up on the replay, even if it should be white, you know you are fucked.

Wallcrawler
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Its really sad that a PS2/XBOX title from nearly eight years ago still has more features, and better gameplay than the latest edition of Madden.

ESPN 2k football would be blowing our minds right now had EA not cornered the license.

When you challenged in ESPN, the game pulled up a laundry list of every conceivable thing you could possibly challenge to choose from.

It had penalties that Madden has yet to even TRY to implement. Illegal Contact, Defensive Holding, Illegal touching of the pass, ineligible receiver downfield, the list goes on.

Defensive coverage was amazing, and I could post hundreds of videos that compare the defensive gameplay to that of Madden and show how it doesnt even compare.

While not without its flaws and bugs, ESPN 2K5 is still a better football game than Madden 12, and the current demo of Madden 13.

If there was a way to get the current roster onto my 2K5 game with updated commentary, that would be the game I would be playing this season.

Javabean
08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
The superstar mode in 2K5 was really good, too.

lcarus
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Its really sad that a PS2/XBOX title from nearly eight years ago still has more features, and better gameplay than the latest edition of Madden.

ESPN 2k football would be blowing our minds right now had EA not cornered the license.

When you challenged in ESPN, the game pulled up a laundry list of every conceivable thing you could possibly challenge to choose from.

It had penalties that Madden has yet to even TRY to implement. Illegal Contact, Defensive Holding, Illegal touching of the pass, ineligible receiver downfield, the list goes on.

Defensive coverage was amazing, and I could post hundreds of videos that compare the defensive gameplay to that of Madden and show how it doesnt even compare.

While not without its flaws and bugs, ESPN 2K5 is still a better football game than Madden 12, and the current demo of Madden 13.

If there was a way to get the current roster onto my 2K5 game with updated commentary, that would be the game I would be playing this season.

No doubt 2K would likely be making amazing football games now, but I don't think 2K5 was that great. I liked Madden 2005 better. It's still a shame they can't make them now. NBA 2K12 is the best sports game I've ever played. If they made NFL 2K12 and it was anything like their bball game, Madden could suck it.

GordonGekko
08-24-2012, 03:16 PM

This, definitely this.

But even is 2k could launch another NFL game, the team that made 2k5 and previous versions have all moved on to other things. 2k5 was a truly special title. If they could graphically overhaul it, it would 'smoke' Madden.

Fruit Ninja
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
This, definitely this.

But even is 2k could launch another NFL game, the team that made 2k5 and previous versions have all moved on to other things. 2k5 was a truly special title. If they could graphically overhaul it, it would 'smoke' Madden.

As of last year when i was in the know, most of the core programmers from their football games still work at Visual Concepts. At least from what i used to know, im not into 2K like i used to be. I mean i still have my contacts, but i dont talk to them much anymore. Im sure i could find out something if i tried.

Anyways, if they are allowed to make a new NFL game, you best believe them guys will be RIGHT back on it. The 2K studio that hosts Visual concepts, is a pretty big building and also has 2K Marin. There's alot of people in that damn building from what i know.

I guess people really enjoy working there. Mike Wang from the Basketball team left them to head over to EA to work on their basketball game and after a year, said fuck this, and went back to 2K. lol They welcomed him with open arms and he's now back at his old high level job.

Kyle DeLexus
08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Toys R US is selling this game for $44.99 if you pre order it online with free shipping

this is where I preordered from. normally I'd go to Walmart and get it on release night and take the toysrus one back to Walmart but I got burned doing that with red dead redemption.

Wallcrawler
08-24-2012, 07:43 PM
No doubt 2K would likely be making amazing football games now, but I don't think 2K5 was that great. I liked Madden 2005 better. It's still a shame they can't make them now. NBA 2K12 is the best sports game I've ever played. If they made NFL 2K12 and it was anything like their bball game, Madden could suck it.

I had a couple friends that liked Madden 05 also, ESPN wasnt for everyone, but at a 19.99 pricepoint brand new, that value was unbeatable. EA knew their shit was about to get pushed in, and made the move on the license.

Unsmooth-Moment
08-24-2012, 09:24 PM
At least with Madden you can draft franchise QB's.

jd1020
08-24-2012, 09:25 PM
At least with Madden you can draft franchise QB's.

Cassel can be a franchise QB in Madden. It's a game.

KCrockaholic
08-24-2012, 09:33 PM
this is where I preordered from. normally I'd go to Walmart and get it on release night and take the toysrus one back to Walmart but I got burned doing that with red dead redemption.

How so?

Unsmooth-Moment
08-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Cassel can be a franchise QB in Madden. It's a game.

Hasn't it always been just a game?

WhitiE
08-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Not really impressed. It's different but I don't like some of the changes. What's with the side view on kickoffs? And why does the play book look like crap?

Bump
08-25-2012, 12:21 PM
this looks like it's geared up to be the worst Madden to date.

It's just so depressing, I used to really enjoy playing franchise.

Kyle DeLexus
08-25-2012, 04:11 PM
How so?

Red Dead had different UPC codes for different stores so Walmart didn't have the pre-ordered Amazon game in their system.

Gonzo
08-25-2012, 04:21 PM
this looks like it's geared up to be the worst Madden to date.

It's just so depressing, I used to really enjoy playing franchise.
How you figure?
Everything I've read suggests just the opposite.

Bump
08-25-2012, 06:29 PM
OKAY

I did it! Don't ask me why, I think I was being so negative so I could go in like a movie you think is gonna be shitty and then you are like, hey that wasn't that bad.

But downloading now, I had extra M$ points to burn so I was like fuck it. May as well get early acccess, lol

the demo actually wasn't that bad, I noticed some improvements

Bump
08-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Okay, is there a chiefsplanet online connected careers thing or a franchise?

I want in! I'll be your most active member

Urc Burry
08-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Same game different year. Pisses me off.

Why can't they fix the simple shit? The difference between all pro and all madden is stupid. And I know it's pretty pointless but is it that hard to add in the visible mouth pieces? If I remember right they had them in like madden 03

royr17
08-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Will be buying this when it releases on the 28th everybody thats played it so far how is it ?

How's the chiefs team on there ?

Bump
08-26-2012, 12:44 AM
I just played 1 career game as the Chiefs and started Stanzi, he did well. I'm only on All Pro btw. But JC did ok, a couple of decent runs. On defense, Tamba falls on his ass most of the time and Berry is a stud.

I also played an online game as the Packers vs the Eagles and won with a last second comeback drive to score a TD when I was down by 3. Felt good to win one.

I'm still pretty rusty, but I can tell this Madden is better than any other this gen. The blocking on the online game was putrid for both sides. We both couldn't run, he did get one big run with McCoy though and the pass blocking was pretty shady, lots of insta sacks and the lag was pretty bad too.

The Bad Guy
08-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Bump, how'd you get the game early?

KCrockaholic
08-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Okay, is there a chiefsplanet online connected careers thing or a franchise?

I want in! I'll be your most active member

I'd be all in. But I have PS3.

ZootedGranny
08-26-2012, 01:25 AM

3 ways:

For $25 you can buy EA Season Ticket that allows you to download EA Sports titles 3 days prior to release, as well as get discounts on DLC. The download does deactivate after the retail release date.

Mom and Pop store breaking the street date.

Download a pirated version.

Unsmooth-Moment
08-26-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm curious about the EaSports Season Ticket thing, but sounds like it cost a bit too much. I'll probably just go rent ncaa for a day or two and wait it out until Tuesday.

Bump
08-26-2012, 09:08 AM

I grabbed the season ticket for 2000 M$ points. I know I know, but I've had all these points sitting there for over a year. I figured may as well get the early access and play the shit out of it until tuesday, if I hate it, I won't buy it, if I like it, which I am liking it, I'll buy it.

lcarus
08-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I just played 1 career game as the Chiefs and started Stanzi, he did well. I'm only on All Pro btw. But JC did ok, a couple of decent runs. On defense, Tamba falls on his ass most of the time and Berry is a stud.

I also played an online game as the Packers vs the Eagles and won with a last second comeback drive to score a TD when I was down by 3. Felt good to win one.

I'm still pretty rusty, but I can tell this Madden is better than any other this gen. The blocking on the online game was putrid for both sides. We both couldn't run, he did get one big run with McCoy though and the pass blocking was pretty shady, lots of insta sacks and the lag was pretty bad too.

I play on All Pro too. I used to play on All Madden and tear shit up, but the last few years All Madden is just insanely cheap. I need to get some good sliders because All Madden is too ridiculous, and All Pro gets to be too easy after a while. Maybe AM will be better this year?

I see you went ahead and plugged Stanzi in there too lol. Last year I played the first Chiefs season with Cassel because in the game he isn't bad. Good enough until I get to the draft and grab a QB (Pioli should take notes haha).

The God Hypothesis
08-26-2012, 04:32 PM
I play on All Pro too. I used to play on All Madden and tear shit up, but the last few years All Madden is just insanely cheap. I need to get some good sliders because All Madden is too ridiculous, and All Pro gets to be too easy after a while. Maybe AM will be better this year?

I see you went ahead and plugged Stanzi in there too lol. Last year I played the first Chiefs season with Cassel because in the game he isn't bad. Good enough until I get to the draft and grab a QB (Pioli should take notes haha).

Im struggling to find appropriate sliders. As you said its too easy on ap and too cheesy on am.

****ing EA can suck a dick.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Had a few good seasons on All Madden mode with last year's game. Found a few decent slider sets on Operation Sports. Let someone else do the work without having to play eleventy billion games. Madden's always been tolerable to me with the right slider set. Too bad franchise mode was complete piece of shit.

Bump
08-26-2012, 08:57 PM
well I'm not getting this game. At least not for now, maybe later when I can get it for $30. But I decided to splurge and get Windows 7 so that I could play Guild Wars 2. But I would have continued to buy Madden otherwise.

But I played another online game, damn it's hard to play defense. I was Patriots vs Ravens, it was 47-45. I was down by 2 with 30 seconds left and kicked a field goal and that gave him plenty of time to drive 50 yards in 2 plays to kick a field goal to beat me.

defense is pretty hard online, it seems. But I am a noob I guess.

just pass defense. Nobody can run for shit.

-King-
08-27-2012, 12:24 AM
There's no way I'm getting this game at $60. Finally learned my lesson after Madden 11.

Kind of sad. Madden used to be the ONLY game I played. Now I can't play 5 minutes without getting tired of the game. I still play Madden against friends once in a while, but that's the only way the game is interesting.

Kyle DeLexus
08-27-2012, 12:51 AM
There's no way I'm getting this game at $60. Finally learned my lesson after Madden 11.

Kind of sad. Madden used to be the ONLY game I played. Now I can't play 5 minutes without getting tired of the game. I still play Madden against friends once in a while, but that's the only way the game is interesting.

I got it for $45.

That was the right price in my mind.

KCtotheSB
08-27-2012, 01:07 AM
I play a lot of bend, but don't break defense coupled with a ball control offense through effective passing on 3rd downs to meet the sticks. I get some normal scorelines at the end. One thing I absolutely cannot figure out is running the ball. Either my offensive line sucks, or the user controlled D-man on the opposite end is a psychic...either way, I can't seem to get more than 1-2 yards a carry. At one point, I had 15 rushes for 16 yards, with a long of 14!

Aspengc8
08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Mustered up a nice 9-0 record online over season pass. Chiefs are tough online, man to man coverage is strong this year. Chiefs O playbook is really good too.

lcarus
08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I play a lot of bend, but don't break defense coupled with a ball control offense through effective passing on 3rd downs to meet the sticks. I get some normal scorelines at the end. One thing I absolutely cannot figure out is running the ball. Either my offensive line sucks, or the user controlled D-man on the opposite end is a psychic...either way, I can't seem to get more than 1-2 yards a carry. At one point, I had 15 rushes for 16 yards, with a long of 14!

Running against the computer or online? People seem to have trouble rushing online, but against the CPU, even on All Madden, it's a little too easy. I haven't played online in years but even then it was hard to run.

WhitiE
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Got it coming from gamefly

Aspengc8
08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Running against the computer or online? People seem to have trouble rushing online, but against the CPU, even on All Madden, it's a little too easy. I haven't played online in years but even then it was hard to run.

Rushing online isn't hard, especially with the new play-action cancel mechanism. If they blitz on play action, press right trigger and he will flash fake and the RB will pick up the blitzer. A lot of ppl online user the FS and clean up the run, so get him to bite hard and go over the top.

I'm going to put together a list of plays in the chiefs book you guys should check out. Ace Pair Chief has become my bread and butter formation, and has a nice outside zone (stretch) and a dive where the TE does a wham block across the formation. Opens up big holes, and there is a fast play action off of it.

lcarus
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Rushing online isn't hard, especially with the new play-action cancel mechanism. If they blitz on play action, press right trigger and he will flash fake and the RB will pick up the blitzer. A lot of ppl online user the FS and clean up the run, so get him to bite hard and go over the top.

I'm going to put together a list of plays in the chiefs book you guys should check out. Ace Pair Chief has become my bread and butter formation, and has a nice outside zone (stretch) and a dive where the TE does a wham block across the formation. Opens up big holes, and there is a fast play action off of it.

Yeah I like that play. Another one I use a lot is basic I-form, HB outside zone. Works well, easily flippable. If they seal the edge its over.

lcarus
08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
By the way, why can't EA use ESPN or CBS or something for the games presentation? Why does NCAAs present as an ESPN telecast but Madden is always presented as an "EA Sports" telecast? Couldn't they use ESPN or something?

Spongeblack Bobtard
08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Last year, I loved the FB Fake HB Toss out of the I formation. You run a it with the FB 2 or 3 times up the middle and later you run this play. Charles can get some long TDs on this one. It should work really well if you put Hillis in at FB.