PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Cornerback Stanford Routt getting accustomed to being a Chief

Tribal Warfare
05-31-2012, 05:02 AM
Cornerback Stanford Routt getting accustomed to being a Chief (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/30/3634275/routt-getting-accustomed-to-being.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

By his own account, cornerback Stanford Routt spent much of his first few weeks with the Chiefs introducing himself to teammates and trying to get used to the fact that, after seven seasons, he no longer plays for the Raiders but one of their most intense rivals.

“It’s a little different for me,” Routt said. “For the first time in, like, seven years, I’m just walking around saying, ‘Hi, I’m Stanford,’ introducing myself to people and asking people, ‘Where’s this room and where’s that room?’ It’s going pretty good. Everybody’s been real helpful and it’s helping my transition a whole lot.

“Last week, I was just getting used to seeing the red-colored jerseys and not the black and silver any more. I’m finally getting settled in with everything. It’s just scratching the surface right now. I can’t wait until we get to training camp and the preseason.”

Given his play during recent practice sessions, Routt is evidently becoming more comfortable with his new surroundings. He was the victim on Jonathan Baldwin’s spectacular one-handed catch this week, but he also broke up a pair of passes the same day.

Last week, Routt made a similar play to catch the eye of his new head coach, Romeo Crennel.

“He made a play on a ball today (and) he was right there on it,” Crennel said. “He didn’t get the ball out but he was right on the ball. That showed me, told me, that he was beginning to understand our system and kind of what we want done. He was able to get there and be in good position and have an opportunity to defend that pass.

“He’s trying to learn the system. I think some of his talent is beginning to show up now the more comfortable he gets with the guys around him.”

The Chiefs acquired Routt over the winter after their long-standing cornerback pairing of Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr was broken up. The Chiefs were unable to re-sign Carr and he left for Dallas as a free agent.

Otherwise, the Chiefs are going for continuity on that side of the ball after becoming one of the league’s better defensive teams during the second half of last season. As one of two major defensive player additions — rookie nose tackle Dontari Poe being the other — Routt will come under a great deal of scrutiny if the Chiefs don’t play well defensively.

Routt made his share of plays for the Raiders, but also was inconsistent. He piled up 17 penalties last season, mostly for holding or pass interference.

“Obviously, penalties are something you don’t want to do, something you don’t want to have, and it’s definitely something you don’t want to stack up,” Routt said. “I think that playing man-to-man coverage like we did in Oakland, it was something that you can’t really avoid. If you want to play aggressive, if you want to play football, if you want to play close to your man, sometimes it’s going to happen. It was a little bit unfortunate the way it stacked up towards the end of the season. It is what it is. It’s not going to stop my play one way or another.”

The Chiefs believe that good coaching can help break Routt from his penalty habit. But before Baldwin made his remarkable catch, Routt grabbed Baldwin and might have been penalized for pass interference if the play had happened during a game.

To Routt, it’s all part of the settling-in process.

“Last week I remember I took a look down and I saw red shoes, red shorts, red jersey and red gloves,” he said. “I knew that I was now in Kansas (City) and not in California anymore. But it’s been a smooth transition. It’s been a little bumpy here and there, just with the familiarity I had for the seven past years, but it’s going to be just fine.”

Micjones
05-31-2012, 06:18 AM
You're no longer on the Dark Side, Stanford.

HemiEd
05-31-2012, 06:19 AM
“I knew that I was now in Kansas and not in California anymore.":D

DaKCMan AP
05-31-2012, 06:21 AM
[B][SIZE="5"]Routt made his share of plays for the Raiders, but also was inconsistent. He piled up 17 penalties last season, mostly for holding or pass interference.

I wonder how much of that was due to just being a Raider who were #4 in most penalties last year and #3 the year before.

TEX
05-31-2012, 06:50 AM
The decision to let Carr walk will cost the Chiefs almost as much as them keeping Cassel will. The Chiefs had the $$$ to keep Carr. Should have done so IMO. They preached "keeping your own" and all that noise. Then when the mpment of truth came - they failed. For the $$$ thay are paying Routt - the upgrade to keep Carr was damn well worth it. They had the chance to have one of the best CB tandems in the league with a legit shot of developing into THE best. Same could be said about the Secondary in general. Anyway - just my opinion.

DaKCMan AP
05-31-2012, 06:54 AM
The decision to let Carr walk will cost the Chiefs almost as much as them keeping Cassel will. The Chiefs had the $$$ to keep Carr. Should have done so IMO. They preached "keeping your own" and all that noise. Then when the mpment of truth came - they failed. For the $$$ thay are paying Routt - the upgrade to keep Carr was damn well worth it. They had the chance to have one of the best CB tandems in the league with a legit shot of developing into THE best. Same could be said about the Secondary in general. Anyway - just my opinion.

Outside of franchising Carr they had no choice. Carr wanted to walk. It wasn't an issue of $$. He had a life long dream of playing for Dallas.

TEX
05-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Outside of franchising Carr they had no choice. Carr wanted to walk. It wasn't an issue of $$. He had a life long dream of playing for Dallas.

Yeah - in the end - you're correct. I wanted them to sign him early in the process before it reached the point it did. And I still would have tagged him and kept him.

Hog Farmer
05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
If we could have kept Carr and signed Route as a safety/3rd corner we'd be megawesome but we didn't

HemiEd
05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
If we could have kept Carr and signed Route as a safety/3rd corner we'd be megawesome but we didn't

Rausch
05-31-2012, 08:44 AM
The Chiefs had the $$$ to keep Carr. Should have done so IMO. They preached "keeping your own" and all that noise. Then when the mpment of truth came - they failed. For the $$$ thay are paying Routt - the upgrade to keep Carr was damn well worth it. They had the chance to have one of the best CB tandems in the league with a legit shot of developing into THE best.

This.

Flowers is smarter, more fundamentally sound, and better tackling corner.

Carr is better in pure coverage, better overall god-given-talent, and larger upside.

That's not a problem - that's the perfect combo. You don't want two Dale Carter's or two James Hasty's. You want that mix.

And I completely agree that we should protect and reward the talent on roster first and foremost...

Micjones
05-31-2012, 08:47 AM

And if he'd been franchised...You'd have Bowe dangling in the wind.
The Chiefs mitigated that situation the best they could.

-King-
05-31-2012, 08:51 AM

So that moment of truth came with Carr and not with Flowers, Johnson, Hali, or Charles? Interesting. :rolleyes:

Rausch
05-31-2012, 08:52 AM
And if he'd been franchised...You'd have Bowe dangling in the wind.

Only if they didn't sign him.

The Chiefs mitigated that situation the best they could.

I disagree.

Carr should have been locked up when Flowers was...

-King-
05-31-2012, 08:52 AM

I disagree.

And what leads you to believe that they didn't try to lock up Carr?

TEX
05-31-2012, 08:57 AM
So that moment of truth came with Carr and not with Flowers, Johnson, Hali, or Charles? Interesting. :rolleyes:

Yes. Very "interesting" in that it could have been a drafted tandem that developed into the NFL's best. Their styles complimented each other well. Hard pressed to find that again. "INTERESTING" that they did not find a way to KEEP it in tact.

Micjones
05-31-2012, 09:03 AM

Which they haven't, so the point still stands.

I disagree.

Who is to say they didn't try to?
You're speculating. None of us know when those talks began.

Retaining a player requires willingness on both sides.
It's clear that Carr didn't want to come back.

They went out and got a competent replacement for Carr and were able to use the tag on Bowe. That's good enough for me.

This team has done an EXCELLENT job of retaining players under this regime.
When a team becomes as talented as this one is, losing players is inevitable.
This team has stunk so long we don't realize just how normal that is.

BossChief
05-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Carr turned down offers and visits to three other teams to sign with Dallas. After hesigned, he made it seem like the Jets even offered more money than Dallas.

He simply wanted to be a cowboy since he was a kid.

Revis and Carr would have been special

Claiborne and Carr will be, too.

scott free
05-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Carr had to go, paying through the nose to keep him would've been foolish.

The steelers dump guys all of the time when their price tag gets to be too much, thats how they almost always remain in contention.

One guy < team

PGM
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I wonder how much of that was due to just being a Raider who were #4 in most penalties last year and #3 the year before.

Yep. His penalties will instantly drop due to not wearing that gay ass one eyed pirate on his helm. Better coaching and technique will also help.

mcaj22
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
i was big on the side of not letting Carr go as much as anyone but now that the smoke cleared and I got to learn more about Carr in Dallas it was clear that Carr wanted no part of this team anymore and had his mind made up. Probably to the point where he told the Chiefs flat out he is gone no matter what they offer and he knows he benefits from them being in a position to choose him or Bowe.

No reason to want to keep a guy that has no business being here, talking up that Dallas star and the media about that franchise while comparing it to the Chiefs not being up to par with whatever Dallas is doing. Good riddance

I don't think Routt is the answer though, this dude is going to get beat more times than we want in a game.

KC Tattoo
05-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Let him where #32 to fuck with al davis in his grave.

Chiefnj2
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
No reason to want to keep a guy that has no business being here, talking up that Dallas star and the media about that franchise while comparing it to the Chiefs not being up to par with whatever Dallas is doing. Good riddance

Dallas outclassed the Chiefs when signing him.

scott free
05-31-2012, 12:01 PM

They didnt outclass shit, Dallas needed him worse than we did & overpayed, they can have him, i'd rather go out & sign three good players with that money.

Rausch
05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
And what leads you to believe that they didn't try to lock up Carr?

I'm not saying they should have tired.

They should have done it.

They should have signed him. Not tried. Not made an offer.

Get it done...

DaKCMan AP
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Get it done...

With what leverage?

You can't make a UFA sign when he doesn't want to stay.

RockChalk
05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
We definitely needed to rehash BCarr all over again. He's gone. He wanted to be a Cowboy, and as an unrestricted free agent, he had a right to choose his team. Good for him.

We'll be just fine defensively without him. Offense should be the side of the ball we're bitching about, but that's like beating a dead horse. I'm of the mind to give Routt a chance. If we suck and the defense gets owned, then we can all piss and moan about letting the greatest cornerback to ever suit up in the NFL walk away to Dallas.

Demonpenz
05-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I had this bad habit of looking for the ball when running and keeping my stride, luckily coach Warfield and coach Law helped me.

whoman69
05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Routt's biggest issue has got to be cutting down on the penalties. Many of them were just mental mistakes. I know its easy to get frustrated when you play for the Raiders.

LOCOChief
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm looking forward to Routt being coached up by Emmitt. He has everything he needs to be every bit as good as Carr.

Urc Burry
05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm looking forward to Routt being coached up by Emmitt. He has everything he needs to be every bit as good as Carr.

I know chiefs fans dont like to hear this but outside of the penalties he is every bit as goods as carr. And probably has been better the last 2 years

whoman69
05-31-2012, 03:56 PM
I know chiefs fans dont like to hear this but outside of the penalties he is every bit as goods as carr. And probably has been better the last 2 years

But the penalties are the kicker and push the competition greatly in Carr's favor.

PGM
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
I bet he has a career year. Those talentless Faider scrubs are going to get beat like a drum all year long.

Pawnmower
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I bet he has a career year. Those talentless Faider scrubs are going to get beat like a drum all year long.

Also I bet Carr has a down year....Not trying to be bitter or sour grapes but lets see how he does in the NFC east against all new receivers when he is in the spotlight without Flowers on the other side. He might be wishing he was back in KC in about November.

SNR
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
I expect Routt to be a downgrade from Carr but not by very much. He'll probably make some bone-headed play on 3rd down in the 4th quarter with the game tied much to the frustration of the fans. He may even do something like that twice. But he's also shown to be capable of holding his own against some pretty good talent. I also like to think our defense is far more conducive to good players looking or becoming great players (Belcher, Lewis, Dorsey, etc.) He's in a much better environment locker room-wise and coaching-wise.

I will be ultra pissed if he regresses even more than he did last year, and the Chiefs decide to fix the problem by drafting a CB instead of a QB.

PGM
05-31-2012, 04:15 PM
His penalties will easily drop and he's already a solid cover corner. It's hilarious how flag happy the refs are against the Faid.

MagicHef
05-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't think he's ever won a playoff game, so I don't really know how much he has to get accustomed to.

Chocolate Hog
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Nobody will care about Carr if Routt plays good the next 2 years.

JASONSAUTO
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Nobody will care about Carr if Routt plays good the next 2 years.

I will billay.

But I think routt can fill that role nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
you're almost getting to the troll level lately with this shit

Chocolate Hog
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I will billay.

But I think routt can fill that role nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that was poorly worded. I mean nobody will be upset that we let Carr go if Routt plays well for the next 2 years. Shit Cassel played good for like 7 games and it almost erased the civil war on here. Almost.

Chocolate Hog
05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't think Routt will be as bad as some think with Berry and Flowers. The guy tends to be pretty good at making a play on the ball as well.

Reaper16
05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Best corner duo would have been Carr & Routt. :D

SNR
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Best corner duo would have been Carr & Routt. :DNah. Eric Berry has a bromance with Flowers. If we can keep those two together I think they'll both play better.

JASONSAUTO
05-31-2012, 06:41 PM

I can agree with that
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Routt will be fine. Every team loses star players. Nobody would give a crap if our offense was more consistent with a great QB.

BCD
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
:spock:

milkman
05-31-2012, 07:58 PM

Get it done...

I just don't get why it is so difficult to understand that Carr was never going to sign.

It became clear the moment the free agent window opened that Carr wanted to hit the market and see if the Cowboys would pony up for him.

The Chiefs never had a chance.

PGM
05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
:spock:

This place never ceases to amaze.

Chiefnj2
06-01-2012, 05:51 AM
It became clear the moment the free agent window opened that Carr wanted to hit the market and see if the Cowboys would pony up for him.

Then you do your best to make sure he doesn't hit the market.

Micjones
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Our only option would've been to use the tag on Carr.
If we'd done that, Bowe would probably be gone.

BossChief
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM

That would give us 2 good #2 corners.

BossChief
06-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't even try.

:facepalm:

milkman
06-02-2012, 09:11 AM

I have to admit it.

The sheer stupidity that some of you fuckers display at times is impressive.

CaliforniaChief
06-02-2012, 09:17 AM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/common/medialib/269/649634.jpg

"The night of March 13 was supposed to be a joyous one for Brandon Carr. The first day of NFL free agency had opened and he was arguably the best cornerback on the market."

Carr was also in the city where he dreamed of playing as a kid – Dallas.
"For him, it was always the Dallas Cowboys," said Robinson, an assistant football coach at Northern Colorado. "It was always Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. He loved that star."

Anyone arguing that this wasn't set in stone in Carr's mind is ignoring reality. Even if we threw an ungodly pile of cash at him, he was still going to see what his favorite team offered.

BossChief
06-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

lcarus
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM
For what it's worth (nothing), I have Routt on my Madden Chiefs and our secondary is beast. :)

kysirsoze
06-02-2012, 10:00 AM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/common/medialib/269/649634.jpg

"The night of March 13 was supposed to be a joyous one for Brandon Carr. The first day of NFL free agency had opened and he was arguably the best cornerback on the market."

Carr was also in the city where he dreamed of playing as a kid – Dallas.
"For him, it was always the Dallas Cowboys," said Robinson, an assistant football coach at Northern Colorado. "It was always Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. He loved that star."

Anyone arguing that this wasn't set in stone in Carr's mind is ignoring reality. Even if we threw an ungodly pile of cash at him, he was still going to see what his favorite team offered.

The Chiefs should have been courting him in kindergarten. You can't let potential talent like that go when you have the chance. /CP Blowhards

CaliforniaChief
06-02-2012, 10:14 AM
The Chiefs should have been courting him in kindergarten. You can't let potential talent like that go when you have the chance. /CP Blowhards

ROFL

Well played.

Rausch
06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

This douche will lose us games with his PI calls.

The Raider way is that if there are 11 men committing penalties they can only call 1...

whoman69
06-02-2012, 03:41 PM
For what it's worth (nothing), I have Routt on my Madden Chiefs and our secondary is beast. :)

SUPER BOWL!!!!!